• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some retailers are doing both bundles. But it seems to be pretty random at this point.

I got both keys, and looking at the AMD site, retailers should technically offer both still as the original pack and the Reloaded are running till the 28th Feb.

Ah, cool. Do they come with a unique key, or can you just register your serial number with AMD to get the codes?

You get a single key from the retailer you register on the AMD Never Settle site, they email you the individual keys for Steam, Origin etc as and when games are released (if they're not already). I've not claimed the original bundle, trying to sell it to make some cash back on the card, but I claimed Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 3, and the Crysis 3 key came in a few hours (Which wasn't bad considering it was release day and all). Have to wait till end of March for the BI key

Koroviev

I can't decide on a manufacturer for a 2GB 7850. I've heard good/bad things about this card from these manufacturers but most people only go to the internet to complain so I don't really know. Gigabyte only sells a "pre-overclocked" version and MSI offers a OC or non OC version.

Gigabyte
MSI OC
MSI non-oc

I've heard these are the best 2 manufacturers for this card but I don't get it. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I also can't decide on a case. I really like the HAF 912's roominess but its just so ugly. The Bitfenix Outlaw is more my style but I've heard it has some cable management issues and isn't super roomy. Looking for $40-60 range. Will go maybe to $80 if its just that worth it.

I would go with the Twin Frozr for aesthetics.

And my vote is for the R4 if NCIX is still selling it for $80 with free shipping. Amazing case.

Koroviev

Can you elaborate? And what about the fact that one is Oc'd already. I don't really plan to OC but if I did I would probably want to do it myself rather than the manufacturer's Oc'ing. I don't know.

I'm not sure if the voltage is unclocked on any of those cards or not. However, I did have the MSI 7850 and it was cool and quiet. I have the Gigabyte 7950 now, but I may have opted for the MSI version had that been an option.

I got both keys, and looking at the AMD site, retailers should technically offer both still as the original pack and the Reloaded are running till the 28th Feb.

Where'd you order your card?

I just did a live chat with Tiger Direct and the rep told me they only offer one or the other. I wonder if I could get them to offer both though. According to AMD it does seem like it should qualify for both like you said.

Canadians, I jumped on this deal yesterday. It seems to have been extended another week.

Gigabyte 7970 with 5 free games. on sale for $379

Bioshock Infinite, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs.

All games I was planning on buying anyway. Effectively made it a ~$100 high end video card barring Steam sales :D

Are they steam codes?

Canceled my order of the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 from Amazon because they would not price match Newegg. Now to order from Newegg and save myself ten bucks.

zap

Hi guys, I recently built a new PC (my first) and I started having issues with my graphics card (a Sapphire HD 7850) not outputting anything on boot (only every second or third boot to start with then stops working every boot). When I put it in the other PCIE port (PCIEX4 compared to the primary's PCIEX16), it works without a hitch! So I had thought it was a problem with the motherboard (Gigabyte H77m d3h), got a replacement and it was working fine the first day (yesterday) and the exact same problem has happened. I've plugged it into the second PCIE port and it's working again, but it's at the PCIEX4 2.0 rather than the PCIEX16 3.0.

Does anyone have any ideas?

tressfx.jpg

lol, what.
Maybe this is the "secret DX11 feature" AMD was touting for Tomb Raider.

Dave_6

My R4 showed up today and this thing is a beast! Such a nice case though. Reminds me of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey lol.

I can't decide on a manufacturer for a 2GB 7850. I've heard good/bad things about this card from these manufacturers but most people only go to the internet to complain so I don't really know. Gigabyte only sells a "pre-overclocked" version and MSI offers a OC or non OC version.

Gigabyte
MSI OC
MSI non-oc

I've heard these are the best 2 manufacturers for this card but I don't get it. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I also can't decide on a case. I really like the HAF 912's roominess but its just so ugly. The Bitfenix Outlaw is more my style but I've heard it has some cable management issues and isn't super roomy. Looking for $40-60 range. Will go maybe to $80 if its just that worth it.

His iceq x turbo. I have it and runs and performs great. Read some reviews on it, have not read a bad one.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161416

Ok , so I've just replaced the mother board in my PC along with the ram,CPU,and heatsink.

I can't boot to windows like I suspected, but I can put in my windows 7 OEM disk and boot to that.

Is there a way for me to reinstall windows without losing everything on my hard drive?

EDIT: From what I've read online it appears I will need to reinstall. In guess I'll backup my hard drive and do the install tomorrow when Microsoft's help lines are open in case I need a new OEM W7 code.
At least the hardware seems to be working!

DagsJT

sweet jesus metro finally maxed out with 4x aa at 60-120fps. This 7950 is more powerful than I imagined. Forgot about physx though which was on max, grenade explosion brought me down to 10fps haha

A single 7950 can max out Metro 2033? And not just max it but at 120fps? I thought that game needed SLI/Crossfire to max out?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ok, re-jigged a few things in my BIOS and lowered the overclock to 4.2Ghz and Prime95 never got beyond 78c.

I could slowly bring it up to 4.4-4.5Ghz but that will do for now.

Where'd you order your card?

I just did a live chat with Tiger Direct and the rep told me they only offer one or the other. I wonder if I could get them to offer both though. According to AMD it does seem like it should qualify for both like you said.

I'm in the UK and got it via Dabs.

Ledsen

I bought a wrist padded mouse pad 3-4 weeks ago. I don't know if it's the break in period but it's been quite uncomfortable and leaves my wrist sore after a while. I actually started turning it on its side so the rest is on the right side and I just use the pad for the mouse and leave the wrist rest alone.

Mouse scrolling is smooth but damn if I ever want to go back to a wrist rest.

I did end up re-orientating the mouse so it's on my right side on my corner desk. I can rest my arm on the right and basically put no stress on my wrist and arm now. I have one of those sliding keyboard/mouse plates and it's nice but it can become slightly uncomfortable after a while.

I also am debating on a nice desk chair but that may have to wait.

You should not use a wrist rest for your mouse. It does way more damage then good. It compresses your carpal tunnel and can contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome. When using a mouse or kb, the one thing you should avoid at all costs is putting pressure on your wrists while you're using them. Sounds like you discovered it first hand and made the right choice!

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

Don't use a Wrist Rest - research has shown that using a wrist rest doubles the pressure inside the carpal tunnel, because the floor of the tunnel is a more flexible ligament that transmits external pressure changes directly into the carpal tunnel (the roof of the tunnel is bone so the pressure doesn't get transmitted on through the hand). Indeed, one test for carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), know as Tinel's sign, simply involves tapping on the palmar surface of the wrist, which is enough to cause tingling and numbness in someone developing CTS.

kharma45

I'm not sure if the voltage is unclocked on any of those cards or not. However, I did have the MSI 7850 and it was cool and quiet. I have the Gigabyte 7950 now, but I may have opted for the MSI version had that been an option.

I've an MSI one (non-OC) and it is definitely not locked, sneaky feeling the gigabyte might be.

ASUS' 7850 is also pretty good, voltage is unlocked on it too.

Momentary

Banned
Hate to do it, but I'm bailing out of building my Titan PC. Trying to cancel orders from Newegg, Amazon, and NCIX. I know technology always advances, but I think I would regret it if I spent $7000 on whats out there now. I'll just game on my ASUS laptop until Maxwell cards with 6gb GDDR5 hit shelves... by then TB SSDs should be affordable, Highend HASWELL CPUs should be out and about, and hopefully Samsung will finally have more magic RAM in the form of DDR4... Plus my fiance had a talk with me... >.>

Zeth

So my Microcenter only has the Quickfire Rapid (tenkeyless) with Blue switches. Not sure how I feel about that. Might just go with the QF Pro Brown. Plus it's fully backlit, which is nice.

They also have the Corsair K60 w/ Cherry Red. From what I've read, the Coolermaster mechanical keyboards are preferred, is that accurate? I'm afraid I won't like Reds. Though they are mostly for gaming, I think the bump will be nice.

n0n44m

Hate to do it, but I'm bailing out of building my Titan PC. Trying to cancel orders from Newegg, Amazon, and NCIX. I know technology always advances, but I think I would regret it if I spent $7000 on whats out there now. I'll just game on my ASUS laptop until Maxwell cards with 6gb GDDR5 hit shelves... by then TB SSDs should be affordable, Highend HASWELL CPUs should be out and about, and hopefully Samsung will finally have more magic RAM in the form of DDR4... Plus my fiance had a talk with me... >.>

dude just get a Titan, 512 GB SSD, i7 3770K, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, 850W PSU and nice monitor.

then you're set for the next few years with the chance of going SLI when needed

kharma45

only the enterprise versions of Haswell will have DDR4, consumers will still be using DDR3.

mkenyon

Banned
dude just get a Titan, 512 GB SSD, i7 3770K, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, 850W PSU and nice monitor.

then you're set for the next few years with the chance of going SLI when needed
So much this. That's what I tried pushing you towards to begin with!

You are getting this advice from the two people on this forum who probably spend more money on their PCs than even the crazies (the good crazy) like Sethos and Sk3tch due to watercooling. Trust.

mkenyon

Banned
So my Microcenter only has the Quickfire Rapid (tenkeyless) with Blue switches. Not sure how I feel about that. Might just go with the QF Pro Brown. Plus it's fully backlit, which is nice.

They also have the Corsair K60 w/ Cherry Red. From what I've read, the Coolermaster mechanical keyboards are preferred, is that accurate? I'm afraid I won't like Reds. Though they are mostly for gaming, I think the bump will be nice.
Order the Quickfire TK online. Backlit, tenkeyless form factor WITH a tenkey.

*edit* sorry on double post, still working on my first cup of coffee.

Koroviev

You are getting this advice from the two people on this forum who probably spend more money on their PCs than even the crazies (the good crazy) like Sethos and Sk3tch due to watercooling. Trust.

Why would you spend money on anything else? Food can't run Crysis.

Koroviev

Ok, re-jigged a few things in my BIOS and lowered the overclock to 4.2Ghz and Prime95 never got beyond 78c.

I could slowly bring it up to 4.4-4.5Ghz but that will do for now.

I bumped my 3770K up to 4.3Ghz on 1.15V. All cores peak at ~59 under load. I've thought about pushing it further, but I think I may have to upgrade from the H60 first. That or set up a push - pull configuration.

Does any one here use a slipstreamed Windows 7 disc/USB/ISO? I'm asking because since I'm planning on upgrading PC and don't want to go through downloading sp1 and the tons of other windows updates again. I just want to make the process as quick and easy as possible so I'm just wondering what steps you guys take to get your PC back to the way it was pre-upgrade.

Zeth

Order the Quickfire TK online. Backlit, tenkeyless form factor WITH a tenkey.

*edit* sorry on double post, still working on my first cup of coffee.

I thought the Rapid is the smaller form factor, not backlit. The Pro has the tenkey + backlit. Am I missing something?

Momentary

Banned

I really want to go all out first go around and I'm gonna just end up moaning and groaning if I do it now when things aren't quite where I want them to be just yet. My laptop should hold me over until then. Though, this GTX560m is starting to creak a little.

kennah

I really want to go all out first go and I'm gonna just end up moaning and groaning if I do it now when things aren't quite where I want them to be just yet. My laptop should hold me over until then. Though, this GTX560m is starting to creak a little.
No shame in waiting. I was going to upgrade to Haswell before getting a hell of a deal on some parts. (Now they just need to get here!)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm still holding out for Haswell + next release of GPUs.

I have hope for Haswell because it has 8 ALUs compared to 6 on Ivy. If that is a perfect bottleneck, you're looking at 30% improvement per clock. That and the rumors of an increased OC ceiling (some Ivy CPUs are really stubborn and won't OC stable over 4.3 or even 4.2 GHz) are true, then a quality motherboard with good OC control should be able to get rock solid stable 4.8 GHz. BELIEVE.

Or if not I'll get Ivy Ex.

mkenyon

Banned
anyone know when is the next round of Samsung and ASUS 120hz monitors are coming?
The new ASUS monitor is out. 144Hz, widely available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
I'm still holding out for Haswell + next release of GPUs.

I have hope for Haswell because it has 8 ALUs compared to 6 on Ivy. If that is a perfect bottleneck, you're looking at 30% improvement per clock. That and the rumors of an increased OC ceiling (some Ivy CPUs are really stubborn and won't OC stable over 4.3 or even 4.2 GHz) are true, then a quality motherboard with good OC control should be able to get rock solid stable 4.8 GHz. BELIEVE.

Or if not I'll get Ivy Ex.
Ivy is plenty capable of 5.0 stable, you just need to delid it.

I have the exact said Quickfire Rapid, and I am against blue switches now. Too loud, and when there's better switches like browns there's no reason to go blue.

I thought the Rapid is the smaller form factor, not backlit. The Pro has the tenkey + backlit. Am I missing something?
Yeah, it's smaller. I guess form factor is kind of cool but for me that games a lot it kind of sucks not to have those.

angelfly

Finished up my build last night. Spent the early morning playing Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3. Been away from PC gaming way too long. Feels good to be back. As for the Quickfire TK, that's what I'm using right now and I love it. Got mine with red switches.

garath

The pro has the ten key but is only partially backlit. Only the left side (the gaming keys) is backlit.

I have the pro in red. I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom