• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ramp

Does any one here use a slipstreamed Windows 7 disc/USB/ISO? I'm asking because since I'm planning on upgrading PC and don't want to go through downloading sp1 and the tons of other windows updates again. I just want to make the process as quick and easy as possible so I'm just wondering what steps you guys take to get your PC back to the way it was pre-upgrade.
Until about a week ago I'd never made a customized Windows install. And that was using nLite for XP, so I have no idea how any utilities for 7 compare. But if there's one comparable to nLite it's a relatively quick and nifty process.

I might be putting together a
Pentium 4
PC tonight, since I think I have enough parts sitting around. One of these days I'll probably put my AMD parts back together as well, but I think I need a new PSU for it...

Zeth

Quickfire Rapid TK:

cm-storm-quickfire-tk-cherry-brown.jpg

Backlit + Tenkey, Tenkeyless form factor.

Oh wow, I've totally missed that one somehow. Looks fantastic. Will probably go Brown or... I still don't know. Will have to do more reading in the mech kb thread.

t-ramp

How necessary do you guys think a case with dust filters is?
My case came with dust filters. I took them all out. It might affect the required maintenance frequency if you don't have filters, but your airflow will be better. It's mostly just personal preference, really.

I am selling some parts to a friend and helping him complete his build.

These are the parts that I am selling him for $250

Intel Core i5-2500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) (haven't had any issues with this board in 2 years

Then this is the rest of the build I put together using the info from the first page. Any thoughts? He wants to play sim city and doesnt need a top of the line rig.

ASUS 24X DVD Burner
BitFenix Shinobi Black Steel
TOSHIBA PH3200U-1I72 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB
Asus VH238H Black 23"
Antec BP550
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB

My case came with dust filters. I took them all out. It might affect the required maintenance frequency if you don't have filters, but your airflow will be better. It's mostly just personal preference, really.
NoRéN;48125226 said:
I don't know about necessary but they sure are convenient to clean. HAF 912 here.

I don't mind cleaning it out once every month or so, so I'll probably go without. Thanks guys!

Duxxy3

I am selling some parts to a friend and helping him complete his build.

These are the parts that I am selling him for $250

Intel Core i5-2500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) (haven't had any issues with this board in 2 years

Then this is the rest of the build I put together using the info from the first page. Any thoughts? He wants to play sim city and doesnt need a top of the line rig.

ASUS 24X DVD Burner
BitFenix Shinobi Black Steel
TOSHIBA PH3200U-1I72 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB
Asus VH238H Black 23"
Antec BP550
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB

You are a kind friend.

Ty4on

I don't mind cleaning it out once every month or so, so I'll probably go without. Thanks guys!

Dustfilters aren't perfect (dust will still get through), but I would suggest you look closely at the heatsinks inside your computer and see if you'd like to clean those all the time. Dustfilters can be cleaned by your breath.

Lowering fan speed when the rig is idling will also reduce dust build up. Fanless computers stay pretty much dust free which makes it much sadder that desktop part usually refuse to turn off fans at idle.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Need a little graphic card help for a new build.

Thus far I have i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB, Crucial m4 256GB SSD and Corsair HX750 PSU. I've always been an evga man (using a 460SE which has served me well) but there's a lot of talk about AMD>Nvidia dollar for dollar in here.

Kind of settled on Radeon 7970 since it's the same price range at the GTX 670's I was looking at. Where do I even begin with what manufacturer and model to buy?

Don't plan on overclocking or Crossfire. Just plan on tossing it in and playing Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 etc on max settings. Thanks for all the great info I've already gathered in here!

Eideka

Banned
Need a little graphic card help for a new build.

Thus far I have i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB, Crucial m4 256GB SSD and Corsair HX750 PSU. I've always been an evga man (using a 460SE which has served me well) but there's a lot of talk about AMD>Nvidia dollar for dollar in here.

Kind of settled on Radeon 7970 since it's the same price range at the GTX 670's I was looking at. Where do I even begin with what manufacturer and model to buy?

Don't plan on overclocking or Crossfire. Just plan on tossing it in and playing Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 etc on max settings. Thanks for all the great info I've already gathered in here!

The Vapor-X is an excellent choice :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202001
14-202-001-TS

Keldor

Does anyone have a recommendation on how much power I'd need for 2 GTX 680 4GB in SLI? Currently I have the CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 Gold. Is that enough?

2San

The new ASUS monitor is out. 144Hz, widely available.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313
With an audio out as well yaaayyy(need it to hook up my speakers for console gaming), I know what I'm asking for my birthday(in 2 weeks). :D
Thinking about buying a second SSD. Any way to move windows installation directories without too many issues?
I used the clone drive software(norton ghost) that came with the samsung 830. Still on my first install. :p

Eideka

Banned
Does anyone have a recommendation on how much power I'd need for 2 GTX 680 4GB in SLI? Currently I have the CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 Gold. Is that enough?

Yes, the max TDP of a GTX680 is 195w so that should be enough but I don't know if 4gb versions of the card are more power hungry.

Zeth

Can't find the Quickfire TK with Cherry Browns anywhere online. Might have to settle with red, or go for one of the other models. Wish there were better backlight options. I really don't want a red backlight now that I think about it.

Quickfire Rapid TK:

cm-storm-quickfire-tk-cherry-brown.jpg

Backlit + Tenkey, Tenkeyless form factor.

Very happy with this KB, very well made. Steel plate underneath the keys give this a nice solid feel, an unusual attention to detail that most KB manufacturers tend to miss. Only thing I dislike about it is that in numlock mode, the enter key and + key next to the keypad are disabled.

Personally I recommend Reds for everything. It's the switch that takes the least amount of activation force, which to me makes it the most efficient switch.

Still, one day I'll go for a true tenkeyless design like a KBT Pure or something.

Zeth

Maybe I'll give the red switches a go. I don't do a whole lot of typing on it outside posting on gaf. It might be nice for FPSes and such. I just fear having no feedback at all outside bottoming out. And this would be my first mech kb.

mkenyon

Banned
Maybe I'll give the red switches a go. I don't do a whole lot of typing on it outside posting on gaf. It might be nice for FPSes and such. I just fear having no feedback at all outside bottoming out. And this would be my first mech kb.
Get a sampler pack of switches from Wasdkeyboards

Akai__

Guys....Will a I7 3770 be good for the first few years of next-gen ?

Make it an i7-3770K, overclock it and you are good to go.

Next gen console processors won't be that good and current PC processors are already next gen capable.

You can also wait for Haswell, if you want.

appaws

Banned
OK, which of the OP mice are best for big hands. (or any others)

I am a palmer...and I would like some extra buttons but I don't need some MMO thing with 50 extra buttons.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Listened to Anandtech's podcast about Haswell and Broadwell. That's some depressing shit. Not just pathetic increases in performance, but BGA and software locked bullshit. I hope AMD has some breakthrough to pierce this monopoly thing Intel has on Desktops.

Guess I'll get LGA 2011 refresh later this year and use that until ~2016.

Gotta say I'm quite satisfied with my gigabyte 7950
Also the coolermaster spawn mouse is awesome
I also suggest everyone should buy a mechanical keyboard. It is like sex for your fingers

mkenyon

Banned

I am a palmer...and I would like some extra buttons but I don't need some MMO thing with 50 extra buttons.
Sensei and Corsair M65. The latter has some software oddities supposedly. I'm about to install them and give it a whirl for testing purposes.
Gotta say I'm quite satisfied with my gigabyte 7950
Also the coolermaster spawn mouse is awesome
I also suggest everyone should buy a mechanical keyboard. It is like sex for your fingers
This post makes me really happy! Whenever the OP and answering questions feels a bit like work, I see GAFers happy and fragging, and then it's all worth it.

Will an i5 3370 be enough for next gen? Should I spring for an i7 or just go with an i5 now and upgrade to Broadwell in a couple of years?

It's going to be paired with a 7970.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Fuck, fuck, fuck. Decided to tweak my over clock one last time and now everything freezes. Going in to BIOS freezes after a second regardless if the keyboard/mouse is hard wired or not.

Help!

Koroviev

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Decided to tweak my over clock one last time and now everything freezes. Going in to BIOS freezes after a second regardless if the keyboard/mouse is hard wired or not.

Help!

Have you tried resetting the CMOS battery?

Will an i5 3370 be enough for next gen? Should I spring for an i7 or just go with an i5 now and upgrade to Broadwell in a couple of years?

It's going to be paired with a 7970.

Get an overclockable CPU for starters.

M3z_

Geez putting together my Prodigy itx rig and I really wish I bought an itx friendly PSU or a modular one, or something. I dunno how to hide cables with this thing it's gonna be a mess inside...

mkenyon

Banned
Geez putting together my Prodigy itx rig and I really wish I bought an itx friendly PSU or a modular one, or something. I dunno how to hide cables with this thing it's gonna be a mess inside...
Stash them to either side of the PSU by folding them up.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...art-3-First-Results-New-GPU-Performance-Tools

Interesting article using new tools to measure perceived frame rates (They call it "Frame Rating"). Looks like under these conditions, AMD still has some work to do on their drivers when running CrossFire.

When omitting what they call "runt" frames, CrossFire is barely offering a perceived increase in framerate, and noticeably inferior to SLI, all the while AMD's card is consistently doing a better job than nVidia when only running a single card.

fr-1.png

Takuya

Banned
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...art-3-First-Results-New-GPU-Performance-Tools

Interesting article using new tools to measure perceived frame rates (They call it "Frame Rating"). Looks like under these conditions, AMD still has some work to do on their drivers when running CrossFire.

When omitting what they call "runt" frames, CrossFire is barely offering a perceived increase in framerate, and noticeably inferior to SLI.

fr-1.png

Wow, there's almost no noticeable improvement in Crossfire there.

Esiquio

I just got the Logitech G500 and its a pretty damn solid mouse. Plus you can add weights to it if you want to adjust the balance and overall heaviness of it.

Graphics card question...so I finally have a decent computer but I am sorely lacking in the graphics card department. The mobo I have is PCI-E 2.0 compliant, but I was considering getting a 3.0 card so that maybe a couple of years from now when I get a new mobo I can still use the card. I was thinking about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426

I just got the Logitech G500 and its a pretty damn solid mouse. Plus you can add weights to it if you want to adjust the balance and overall heaviness of it.

Graphics card question...so I finally have a decent computer but I am sorely lacking in the graphics card department. The mobo I have is PCI-E 2.0 compliant, but I was considering getting a 3.0 card so that maybe a couple of years from now when I get a new mobo I can still use the card. I was thinking about this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161426

That's a good mid-range card, for a good price.

Basically don't worry about pcie2 vs pcie3. The card/price range you are currently looking at will not be influenced by it, and anything worth buying is pretty much all pcie3 compliant anyways.

Esiquio

That's a good mid-range card, for a good price.

Basically don't worry about pcie2 vs pcie3. The card/price range you are currently looking at will not be influenced by it, and anything worth buying is pretty much all pcie3 compliant anyways.

Thanks for the input. Just saw this from the OP, how would you say the two compare, give the close prices?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661

Edit: Yeah, that GTX 560 is $170 after rebate and is looking mighty tempting right now. That's about the max I'm willing to pay, and there seems to be a good selection of cards at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom