• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 1. Haswell, Crysis 3, and secret fairy sauce. Read da OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

I'm a little weird with the keyboard slideout. I keep the mouse on the keyboard tray and the keyboard on the main desk. I think I started doing that because I couldn't keep the monster G15 on the tray. Now it's just comfortable that way.

scogoth

I'm a little weird with the keyboard slideout. I keep the mouse on the keyboard tray and the keyboard on the main desk. I think I started doing that because I couldn't keep the monster G15 on the tray. Now it's just comfortable that way.

35in wide keyboard tray =)
No keyboard too big!

Momentary

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted or not, but those waiting on the 900D:

From CorsairGeorge via Overclock.net:
For those asking, here's the current status.

We shipped over some review and sample units, and many of them were damaged. We found this was for two reasons.

1) Somebody ran into a pallet of them with a forklift. No joke.

2) There is a small tooling issue that allows the door to fit too loosely. This isn't a big deal at the factory, but during shipping, some of the vibration on the doors caused them to go out of spec, meaning that they wouldn't close correctly. This wasn't on 100% of the cases, but on enough of them that it's an issue.

Since Chinese New Year is just ending, and workers are coming back to the factories, we're making a tweak to the tolerance so the doors will fit better. This will make the case much more secure and solid, but will take about a week to complete, so first shipments won't leave until next week from China.

This means that you won't see units in retail until the end of March.

Sorry for the delay guys, but it's the right thing to do. Chances are we could ship today and 80% of them would arrive no problem at all, but I'm not comfortable with that kind of failure rate.

The last thing I want is for somebody to buy a $350 case and find out that the door doesn't fit.

Hate that I have to wait another month, but it's awesome that they have QC like that.

scogoth

Hate that I have to wait another month, but it's awesome that they have QC like that.

Do you have all your other parts already?

mkenyon

Banned

Hah, manufacturing problems on the 900D. Called it.

I'm sure that is just the beginning. Case has too much for its price tag.

kennah

No.

I'm struggling with seeing what it is I need for everything in a computer.
Like in the OP list it says the motherboard and so on, but then I get confused about CPU coolers.
This probably sounds really dumb to all of you.

Not at all. We were all there once. Feel free to ask any questions you have. CPU coolers are optional for better overclocking/quieter/cooler computers. You can skip the stuff if you like though it is highly recommended. The Cooler Master 212 is recommended for having a great price to performance ratio. What other things are confusing to you? Where do you live? You might have a gaffer nearby who would be willing to lend a hand.

EDIT: There is also the survey in the OP that you can fill out to give us a better idea of what exactly it is you want your computer to do, and we can make recommendations based on that.

No.

I'm struggling with seeing what it is I need for everything in a computer.
Like in the OP list it says the motherboard and so on, but then I get confused about CPU coolers.
This probably sounds really dumb to all of you.

Anytime you buy a CPU, you get a CPU cooler with it.

If you want to overclock your PC, you'll want a better cooler, if you don't care, or If it's confusing you, you can ignore it, stock fans work fine.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Not at all. We were all there once. Feel free to ask any questions you have. CPU coolers are optional for better overclocking/quieter/cooler computers. You can skip the stuff if you like though it is highly recommended. The Cooler Master 212 is recommended for having a great price to performance ratio. What other things are confusing to you? Where do you live? You might have a gaffer nearby who would be willing to lend a hand.

EDIT: There is also the survey in the OP that you can fill out to give us a better idea of what exactly it is you want your computer to do, and we can make recommendations based on that.

Yeah the OP said something about a questionnaire but I couldn't find it.

Anytime you buy a CPU, you get a CPU cooler with it.

If you want to overclock your PC, you'll want a better cooler, if you don't care, or If it's confusing you, you can ignore it, stock fans work fine.

What's overclock?

kennah

Yeah the OP said something about a questionnaire but I couldn't find it.

What's overclock?

Make go faster than original specifications. Most people don't need to do it.

And here's the Questionnaire, it was right under Builds.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, HD Streaming, 3D/Model work, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
When will you build?: What time frames are doable? Are you building this weekend? Do you need it in a week or so? Can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Been lurking here for a while (since 2010), my first post! Love this thread, helped me build my machine last year and pretty much followed the OP and built a machine that I'm in love with, but with building my own machine after running a P4 for eight years, I now have the itch to upgrade.

With the release of Far Cry 3 @ Crysis 3, I really want to get back in there and start playing these games at max settings with 60+ FPS. I'm sure it'll be a nice investment on my part, but I'm hoping I'll be able to make minor upgrades to get where I want to be.

Here's what my haul was when I built it. (Pardon the crappy pic)
bt0mEju.jpg

Here's what my computer shows up with in Speccy.
jVS3BNv.png

So what would I need? Any help? Thanks in advance guys!

Ok, with my tax returns just around the corner i've been authorized to build a new computer.

I would appreciate any help you fellow gaffers could provide.

Current setup

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W (currently overclocked to 3ghz)
4GB DDR2
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
GTX 650 Ti 2GB (not upgrading)
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply (not planning to upgrade unless necessary)
Already have case. not upgrading. no idea what brand

$500
USA

Main Use:
Gaming
Web surfing

Monitor Resolution:
Samsung 1080p (not upgrading)

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? Will you use CUDA accelerated software?
Not upgrading video card, but must be able to handle games such as FarCry3 and even Crysis 3, not necessarily at max specs.

Looking to reuse any parts?
Video card: GTX 650 Ti 2GB
Power Supply: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply
Case
Monitor

When will you build?:
Within the next month

Will you be overclocking?:
Maybe?

Do your magic, Gaf!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

The second I see one while at Microcenter and can inspect it before buying (or right after but in the store) I'll probably splurge on it and hold on to it until I do a build in the summertime. Case is awesome. Hoping the reviews are as positive as I expect them to be.

kennah

Ok, with my tax returns just around the corner i've been authorized to build a new computer.

I would appreciate any help you fellow gaffers could provide.

Current setup

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W (currently overclocked to 3ghz)
4GB DDR2
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
GTX 650 Ti 2GB (not upgrading)
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply (not planning to upgrade unless necessary)
Already have case. not upgrading. no idea what brand

$500
USA

Main Use:
Gaming
Web surfing

Monitor Resolution:
Samsung 1080p (not upgrading)

Not upgrading video card, but must be able to handle games such as FarCry3 and even Crysis 3, not necessarily at max specs.

Looking to reuse any parts?
Video card: GTX 650 Ti 2GB
Power Supply: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply
Case
Monitor

When will you build?:
Within the next month

Will you be overclocking?:
Maybe?

Do your magic, Gaf!

Your video card is going to be a limiting factor no matter what you do, but basically with $500 you could easily do a 3570k, Asrock Motherboard, 8gig of Ram and Hyper212.

Save up your pennies though, that card is going to need replacing in the next year.

bro1

Banned
I am using onboard audio with Z77 Asus Sabertooth right now but REALLY want a better audio solution. My headphones are Sennheisser 595's and want something to drive them better. What is the best sub $100 solution?

Your video card is going to be a limiting factor no matter what you do, but basically with $500 you could easily do a 3570k, Asrock Motherboard, 8gig of Ram and Hyper212.

Save up your pennies though, that card is going to need replacing in the next year.

I'll be fine for a year or two with the 650. I know it may be limiting, but it's huge since I was coming from a 4870.

Edit: any suggestions on the specific parts I would need?

mkenyon

Banned
So what would I need? Any help? Thanks in advance guys!
New video card, and that's it.
I am using onboard audio with Z77 Asus Sabertooth right now but REALLY want a better audio solution. My headphones are Sennheisser 595's and want something to drive them better. What is the best sub $100 solution?
Xonar DGX, Sound Blaster Z at just above the $100 mark, or an external DAC if you just want rich sound.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a PC now.

£500 ( I could go higher but I like £500)
UK

Main Use: Gaming and uses the internet

Monitor Resolution: I don't have a monitor so yes I will need a new one, but I have no idea what a good monitor would be

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Don't know what CUDA is but 30 FPS would be fine.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope

When will you build?: In a couple of months

Will you be overclocking?: Don't know.

Did I do it right?

kharma45

I don't have a PC now.

£500 ( I could go higher but I like £500)
UK

Main Use: Gaming and uses the internet

Monitor Resolution: I don't have a monitor so yes I will need a new one, but I have no idea what a good monitor would be

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Don't know what CUDA is but 30 FPS would be fine.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope

When will you build?: In a couple of months

Will you be overclocking?: Don't know.

Did I do it right?

Sort of, I'll throw something UK based together for you in a minute. If you're not building for a few months you might as well wait for Haswell.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
Sort of, I'll throw something UK based together for you in a minute. If you're not building for a few months you might as well wait for Haswell.

Things can change fairly frequently, new CPUs and motherboards are due out in three months.

If you're planning on going beforehand, price out the budget/standard PC to see how it lines up.

I was more wondering what I would get for that budget really, like if it was worth it.

Vossler

Trying to make a decision here...came across another Asus 670 gtx TOP edition, which I've been looking for to sli, but I am not sure that I need it at 1080p. I do utilize downsampling via gpu, and had x'fired 6950s before which the micro stuttering drove me nuts. I've read that's been minimized to a degree, but I'm not sure if i need another one at 1080p. What say you guys?

Momentary

Banned
Do you have all your other parts already?

I can't get a hold of Samsung 30nm RAM

I'm debating whether to go withe Seasonic now that mkenyon and Lutro0 told me how much of a bitch it is to sleeve that PSU, so now I'm looking for another 1000W-ish PSU that is just as reliable.

Fiance said no to headphones

Only things I've ordered so far are the

-2 Titans
-900D (even though mkenyon hates it)
-Yamaha YHT-397
-Sensei RAW
-QcK mouse pad
-1 3TB seagate instead of 2 (cutbacks due to Titans costing more)
-256gb Samsung 840 pro

Does anyone know if the Yamaha YHT-397 comes with an optical audio cable?

scogoth

I'm debating whether to go withe Seasonic now that mkenyon and Lutro0 told me how much of a bitch it is to sleeve that PSU, so now I'm looking for another 1000W-ish PSU that is just as reliable.

-2 Titans
-Yamaha YHT-397
-Sensei RAW
-QcK mouse pad
-256gb Samsung 840 pro

Its not platinum or anything but I've decided to sleeve my CM 1000W Silent Pro Gold. It comes with the flat cables which seem like they are really easy to sleeve. Remove the pins rip the flat cables apart, sleeve, put pins back in. Shouldn't be too hard

bro1

Banned

-2 Titans
-Yamaha YHT-397
-Sensei RAW
-QcK mouse pad
-256gb Samsung 840 pro

Why the HTiB? I would go with a good set of headphones over a HTiB any day. If you want to get into HT, buy seperates over time. You can get great deals if you look.

GHG

-2 Titans
-Yamaha YHT-397
-Sensei RAW
-QcK mouse pad
-256gb Samsung 840 pro

The YHT-397 doesn't come with any optical/hdmi cables, you will need to buy them separately. You don't really need an optical cable if I'm being honest, I've figured out the hard way (and by that I mean after purchasing an expensive high quality optical cable that is now doing nothing) that HDMI is the best solution.

I've now hooked mine up via Nvidia HDMI and I get awesome surround sound. Follow this guide - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1291286/h...-hdmi-audio-video-hd-audio-bitstreaming-works

I followed this guide to make all my MP3's play through all 5 channels and the bass through the sub http://www.overclock.net/t/316079/h...-6-channels-5-1-setup-itunes-6-works-with-5-1

So you should go GPU ---> HDMI cable ----> HDMI input 1 on the A/V receiver ----> HDMI Out ---> HDTV/Monitor

Why the HTiB? I would go with a good set of headphones over a HTiB any day. If you want to get into HT, buy seperates over time. You can get great deals if you look.

I have the same HTiB as what he's just bought and I'll have you know its a very high quality piece of kit and not your standard HTiB. You'd have to spend significantly more ($1000+) to get anything that would be better in terms of audio quality and in terms of the quality of the receiver. I'd normally advocate what you are saying about buying everything separate, but after doing a lot of research that is actually the best thing you can get without breaking the bank. Plus you free up money to get better parts for the PC :) .

So. I just got my PC up and running again after an upgrade (I also did a full Windows reinstall to fix some issues) and I totally forgot how I set up my PC to play blurays in the past.

Is there a recommended free bluray player out there? I honestly rarely watched them so I cannot recall what I used before.

scogoth

So. I just got my PC up and running again after an upgrade (I also did a full Windows reinstall to fix some issues) and I totally forgot how I set up my PC to play blurays in the past.

Is there a recommended free bluray player out there? I honestly rarely watched them so I cannot recall what I used before.

You can get VLC to pay them in a roundabout way that I can't post here. Google it. Otherwise I'm not sure of any free player unless one came with the drive.

M3z_

Overclocking intel chips is easy as hell. Buy a sufficient cooler, set volts to 1.35 and multiplier to 45 and go. If you want to be more efficient you can then bump the multiplier up to see if you got a really good chip or instead lower the voltage incrementally while continually testing in prime95 until you find out the minimum volts required for your chip to run at 4.5ghz.

For GPU depends what card you get, but if you want the most you can be getting out of it you need to overclock it as well. GPU is even easier to test because you don't need to enter the bios and you can make adjustments on the fly without rebooting, unless your drivers crash.

Just bought a 7950, but found the model I got (XFX Double D) needs a 6 and 8 pin power cable. Its not a huge problem as my PSU is modular, but it turns out I've got one of the early batches of Corsair HX620w's that went out without the 6+2pin cable. I'm putting in a request for one, but in the meantime, does anyone know if a 6 to 8pin adaptor is suitable as a temporary solution, since the spare cable could take a while to arrive? Been looking around and can't get a straight answer.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Overclocked my PC for the first time in my life. Bumped my 3570K to 4.5Ghz. Ran Intel Burn Test a few times, ran a few game engine tests (Unity, Resident Evil 6, FF XIV) and as a final measure ran Prime95 for 14 hours and received no errors or warnings. My current idle temp seems to be hovering between the mid 30s to about 41. Is that Ok?

kharma45

Overclocked my PC for the first time in my life. Bumped my 3570K to 4.5Ghz. Ran Intel Burn Test a few times, ran a few game engine tests (Unity, Resident Evil 6, FF XIV) and as a final measure ran Prime95 for 14 hours and received no errors or warnings. My current idle temp seems to be hovering between the mid 30s to about 41. Is that Ok?

What was your max temp with Prime and Burn test?

Overclocking intel chips is easy as hell. Buy a sufficient cooler, set volts to 1.35 and multiplier to 45 and go. If you want to be more efficient you can then bump the multiplier up to see if you got a really good chip or instead lower the voltage incrementally while continually testing in prime95 until you find out the minimum volts required for your chip to run at 4.5ghz.

For GPU depends what card you get, but if you want the most you can be getting out of it you need to overclock it as well. GPU is even easier to test because you don't need to enter the bios and you can make adjustments on the fly without rebooting, unless your drivers crash.

What increments should I be reducing the voltage? I'm getting a 7970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom