• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

This kind of stuff is unnecessary. Prerelease benchmarks have been wrong before. Wait for it to actually come out.

Also, if it costs less than the 780 then what is the problem?

I was joking of course, but do you think it will be less? :p

kennah

I was joking of course, but do you think it will be less? :p

I think that since I've hit my mid thirties I've gotten a lot grumpier.

Ah, missed the canadian currency part. Anyways, the 280x is a Ghz edition thus safer factory overclock though further overclocking depends on how good of a pick he gets off the line and the cooler.

Oooorrr, he could just get the 7970 that he picked out and get similar performance for $50 less.

Full disclosure - I'm pretty annoyed with both nvidia and amd for releasing half their cards as rebadges this gen. That said, the 780 is an amazing card, and good value if you have $650, and the 290X is looking to be the same if it is between 500 and 600 (or even less).

If you're the kind of person that is shopping for a 760, 770 or 280x - do yourself a favour and find a used or deeply discounted 670, 680 or 7970.

(yep... grumpy)

I should be more annoyed with Intel for only bumping 5-10% per gen lately, but I love the focus on efficiency and onboard. I'm very annoyed with them for not including the 5x00 graphics on the 4670/4770.

Durante

I don't know how accurate this is, but both the 290 and the 290X are now listed by some Austrian retailers.

290x = 660 €
290 = 520 €

For comparison:
Titan = 860 €
780 = 540 €

Couldn't think of where else to ask so I figured this would be best:

I need a new wireless router for my apartment.

Is this one worth it?

"Medialink - Wireless N Broadband Router - 300 Mbps - 2.4GHz - 802.11n w/ Internal Antenna"

31q6NYdjhHL._SY300_.jpg

Looking to spend $50 or less and do a good amount of media streaming. :)

Oooorrr, he could just get the 7970 that he picked out and get similar performance for $50 less.

Full disclosure - I'm pretty annoyed with both nvidia and amd for releasing half their cards as rebadges this gen. That said, the 780 is an amazing card, and good value if you have $650, and the 290X is looking to be the same if it is between 500 and 600 (or even less).

If you're the kind of person that is shopping for a 760, 770 or 280x - do yourself a favour and find a used or deeply discounted 670, 680 or 7970.

(yep... grumpy)

I should be more annoyed with Intel for only bumping 5-10% per gen lately, but I love the focus on efficiency and onboard. I'm very annoyed with them for not including the 5x00 graphics on the 4670/4770.

Plenty of people don't like buying used due to possible warranty issues, especially since you never know if the old card was not well treated outside of physically imperfections.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I need to vent - It annoys me how when I buy an ssd or RAM on newegg, they ship it in that small envelope package (not even a box). My new ram got here today and the packaging was cracked as if something fell on it, but thankfully both my sticks appear untouched/undamaged and are running through prime95 fine right now.

Would it cost them that much more to ship it in a small box? :(

I need to vent - It annoys me how when I buy an ssd or RAM on newegg, they ship it in that small envelope package (not even a box). My new ram got here today and the packaging was cracked as if something fell on it, but thankfully both my sticks appear untouched/undamaged and are running through prime95 fine right now.

I think Newegg has really fallen from grace the past year or two. Between their prices, shipping and customer service, I only use them if I have to. I'll always choose Amazon or Microcenter before Newegg.

That said, I just used them to buy a 280X, which just arrived an hour ago. So far, so good. Card looks great.

teiresias

I've pretty much given up on Newegg unless I just absolutely cannot find it at Amazon or MicroCenter (and the nearest MicroCenter is like a three hour drive from me, so I'll reserve that for CPU/Mobo combo deals).

I just bought Win8 Pro from NewEgg, but that was because it was a really good deal and I figured they couldn't completely ruin an OS with crappy shippment packaging.

Stupid question but how much performance does forgoing the bells and whistles of PC gaming free up?

For example, say I wanted to play battlefield 3 but i didnt mind if the textures were the same as the console versions and didnt mind if the image quality and basically the only improvement I would want is in framerate to 60FPS would that require far less power?

In that vein, based on what we know so far, what graphics card do you feel will be able play most next gen games at a comparable visual quality to console at 60FPS?

Framerate is the biggest reason im looking at a gaming PC. So sick of 30fps "cinematic" bullshit.

Ieu

Stupid question but how much performance does forgoing the bells and whistles of PC gaming free up?

For example, say I wanted to play battlefield 3 but i didnt mind if the textures were the same as the console versions and didnt mind if the image quality and basically the only improvement I would want is in framerate to 60FPS would that require far less power?

In that vein, based on what we know so far, what graphics card do you feel will be able play most next gen games at a comparable visual quality to console at 60FPS?

Framerate is the biggest reason im looking at a gaming PC. So sick of 30fps "cinematic" bullshit.

It depends very much on the game. That is the main downside to PCs, there are no hard and fast rules like disable x to get a y FPS increase. All you can do is try the options the game suggested and then tinker from there to see what works for you.

Also remember that as time goes on the hardware you buy now won't keep pace with later next gen games. There is no such thing as a futureproof graphics card, even in the context of a console generation's span.

Also remember that as time goes on the hardware you buy now won't keep pace with later next gen games. There is no such thing as a futureproof graphics card, even in the context of a console generation's span.

Thats my biggest issue with PC gaming. I dont want to spend £1000 on a PC only to fork out another £400 for a graphics card in a few years later.

Still, ive been think about this too long now. If im gonna build one, may as well be now.

Sanctuary

Go for it, I've heard CX come up a lot
as shitty.
:p

I don't know if you're being serious or what, but the Corsair PSUs are actually made by Seasonic...
Also, no idea what you mean about that Seasonic being $110 cheaper than its normal price. Its "normal" price now is $119.

I've got an issue that I need some help with. My dad just got a 660ti 3GB for a build he is doing. In the mean time, he is letting me test it out to make sure it works well, so I have been putting it through its paces. I am having a very annoying issue with the multiple monitor support, though. I set it up on my 3 identical 23" monitors (dvi, dvi, hdmi) and set up the surround through the driver control center (5760x1080). It works like a charm. Games run great and everything, but it disables itself every time that the monitors get put to sleep. If put the computer to sleep and wake it up, Windows make the noise when it finds a new device, it is black for a few seconds and when it comes up, only the middle monitor is on and the other two go to standby. My Windows screen resolution pain looks like this:

we9WwQW.png

At this point the nvidia control panel won't re-enable the surround until I use the Windows screen resolution to re-enable the other two monitors individually. This happens 100% of the time when either my computer goes to sleep, or the monitors sleep from inactivity. It is driving my nuts.

I don't know if you're being serious or what, but the Corsair PSUs are actually made by Seasonic...
Also, no idea what you mean about that Seasonic being $110 cheaper than its normal price. Its "normal" price now is $119.

The Corsair CX series is not manufactured by Seasonic except for one discontinued 400W model, apparently. The rest are manufactured by CWT.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corsair uses about 5 OEMs. I think currently they use:
CWT, Seasonic (Early AX, HX, 400W (discontinued), Flextronics, and at least one other.

Overall they are good safe purchases, but there are better buys if you look for them.

Ty4on

Knowing me, if that were my case, I'd probably dremel out a hole where the gpu fan(s) were, just so I knew they were getting cool air. Then buy a nice looking aftermarket grill to mount over it.

As stock, that just looks way too claustrophobic for the gpu.

edit: I don't know, maybe I wouldn't. Those FT03's just look too clean and nice from the front....
It works surprisingly well, but I am glad I haven't got a Titan there. I think maybe with the 140mm fan at the bottom there could come a decent amount of air around the rad that could find its way to the GPU. You just have to look at the GPU as a strange looking exhaust fan :p

If I were a designer for the case though I might have wanted to give it some extra space ahead of the GPU and possibly space for an extra fan right below it or maybe just some mesh with a dustfilter over it (possibly extend the dust filter that is in place below). With the GPU and PSU being exhaust I think this case could need a bit more intakes to stay positively pressured.
Funny that you should mention that, I just ordered that fan last night lol. The original fan doesnt have PWM so its blasting at full speed so its a little loud. Should be getting the fan tomorrow, and getting my GTX680 in today.

Ive also been reading in the FT03 thread on Hardforum that you can do a push/pull config, but you have to bend one of the HDD clips. Some people even there put a water cooling loop in this thing with a graphics card. Thats pretty crazy.
The Hardforum threads about this case and other SFF related things (like the PSU) were awesome. Tons of info and people attempting everything. Loved one post from a guy who had a watercooled FT03 (mATX) with two 120mm rads over the mobo (side intake and top exhaust) because he had found two rads thin enough to fit there. Opened the forum for the first time in a long time and seeing finished versions of the M1 case which can do anything and makes even the Node 304 look massive was awesome. Reading about the new 300W SFX PSU from Silverstone which is fanless below 40% load was also awesome, but it sadly only has one PCIe even though it would be a stretch powering my 7870 with it. Had to go for the 7870 because even though there was an official reference 7850 blower model no OEM made it :(

I'll answer the top paragraph here because fuck logic. I was quite lucky when I hooked everything up because without knowing it my Asrock mobo supported fan speed control of 3pin fans. It's very rough with 10 "levels" to select from and a temp (between 45 and 65) where it will start to slowly ramp up the fan speed, but it works ok. I only wish I could add a setting to increase chassis fan speed when the GPU got hot as well. Here's what the fan settings look like in Windows and the CPU fan is at level 10 because it is powering the H60 water pump.

If anyone is curious about my mobo (probably a better idea to go for Haswell now especially with the improvements they have) note that the socket placement makes it pretty hard to cool the CPU well without a closed loop water cooler and that there is an mSATA connection on the back which is in the way for the backpanel, but nice for extra storage in a tiny case I guess even though I think it is just 3Gb/s SATA. I chose it because it was nice all around and had a fair price. I think it was like half the price of the Asus Z77 ITX Deluxe board :p

Final tiny hint that might not matter because it could be my case being weird, but when I fitted the 120mm Noctua fan at the bottom because it was off center (mounted to the 120mm mounts for a rad) I had to grind down an edge of the dustfilter mounts to make it fit.

mflexx

Banned
Some pictures of my semi-new self build water rig.

img_2121cpr3xeyrf0.jpg

img_2088y4ku18nux04uug3rvn.jpg

ASUS Maximus V Gene
i5 3570K @ 4500 MHz
16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2000 MHz
Gainward GTX 580 @ 1000 MHz

Gpu update is planned for next year… I haven't quite decided which one yet.

Some pictures of my semi-new self build water rig.

img_2121cpr3xeyrf0.jpg

img_2088y4ku18nux04uug3rvn.jpg

ASUS Maximus V Gene
i5 3570K @ 4500 MHz
16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2000 MHz
Gainward GTX 580 @ 1000 MHz

Gpu update is planned for next year… I haven't quite decided which one yet.

Nice, other than the tacky red light on the front in the second picture it looks very very classy.

Pachimari

I have just decided, that I am gonna skip on the Xbox One next year and finally build myself a monster of a gaming PC. This is my first time, so it's also gonna be one huge mountain to climb, as I don't know what to look for but I'm gonna read through the OP in due time.

I finally want those great PC experiences, and just go with PC, PS4 and Wii U so far.

Though, it would be nice to have an idea of how big my budget needs to be. Can I get a monster pc playing Crysis 1 on high settings for say $1000-$1400? What is a realistic or fair amount to put aside?

I wanna play all the latest games on the max possible settings, now that I have finally decided to build a PC come Spring 2014.

I have just decided, that I am gonna skip on the Xbox One next year and finally build myself a monster of a gaming PC. This is my first time, so it's also gonna be one huge mountain to climb, as I don't know what to look for but I'm gonna read through the OP in due time.

I finally want those great PC experiences, and just go with PC, PS4 and Wii U so far.

Though, it would be nice to have an idea of how big my budget needs to be. Can I get a monster pc playing Crysis 1 on high settings for say $1000-$1400? What is a realistic or fair amount to put aside?

I wanna play all the latest games on the max possible settings, now that I have finally decided to build a PC come Spring 2014.
Look at the OP's PC builds spreadsheet. With 800ish$ you can build a PC able to roflstomp every PC game for at least 3 years to come.

kharma45

It can, but don't use Crysis 1 as your yardstick. Even to this day it's not a well optimised game.

Personally I'd say around 1000 gives the best system since there are very diminishing returns beyond that. Either use the rest of the money on stuff like the keyboard and monitor or wait a few years to upgrade the GPU.

Lum1n3s

Yay or Nay?

Raidmax Gold Rated Psu

For $10 more one can get this as opposed to the one from Seasonic that was posted earlier. After the rebate it would go down to $69.99. I currently have one of their psu in my old build and have had it for three years with no problems what so ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom