• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
Unfortunately not on newegg.ca . I'm Canadian :(
Ah.

Well looking at the Canadian partspicker site, that does seem to pretty close to as cheap as you're gonna get if you bought them separately at the lowest prices. So while its no super-great deal, its a decent buy. CPU's typically don't get discounted like lots of other components from what I've seen. If I were looking to build or upgrade soon, I probably wouldn't hold out.

AndyD

aka andydumi
- try an alternate PSU if you have one/can borrow one
- maybe try booting into Linux on a USB stick, put it into sleep mode and see if it behaves properly (might point to a windows software issure)
- any bios settings that might affect low-power states??

Oddly enough I tried the Linux USB and no issues with sleep. So I decided it must be some software in windows. So I turned off everything I had running it it is fixed, now its time to narrow it down.

It could be Steam or perhaps Universal media server, we shall see.

Thanks!

Oddly enough I tried the Linux USB and no issues with sleep. So I decided it must be some software in windows. So I turned off everything I had running it it is fixed, now its time to narrow it down.

It could be Steam or perhaps Universal media server, we shall see.

Thanks!

Steam combined with an audio driver always prevented my machine from going to sleep. If you can identify what is blocking sleep there is a command line command that you can use to prevent that particular driver/application from preventing the PC from going to sleep.

Edit: That is if the sleep issue you are having is that it simply will not go to sleep.

Dawg

About to order the mITX build (finally :p)

Just need to know if the Noctua NH-U12S is really the best option for a silent 4670K 4,2Gh OC.

kennah

About to order the mITX build (finally :p)

Just need to know if the Noctua NH-U12S is really the best option for a silent 4670K 4,2Gh OC.

Mmm, so jealous. Love Noctua. Couldn't use them in my current build - wrong colour.++

IMG_8160.jpg

kennah

I love them because they're very silent. The U12S is only a little bit cooler than the CM 212 Evo though, but the price is quite high(er) :p

But they're soooo prettttyyyy.

You could get an EVO and put Noctua fans on it, but I think that would wind up more expensive.

So I ordered an EVGA 680 GTX Classified and it looks like it was intended for the German market, I'm in the UK so is there anything that I need to be aware of such as voltages?

kennah

So I ordered an EVGA 680 GTX Classified and it looks like it was intended for the German market, I'm in the UK so is there anything that I need to be aware of such as voltages?

Nope. You only need to worry about voltages in Powersupplies - and even then only if it's more than a few years old. Everything works everywhere now.

Nope. You only need to worry about voltages in Powersupplies - and even then only if it's more than a few years old. Everything works everywhere now.

Thanks, it was also advertised as new but it's clearly not. There's a small indent on the fan shroud and everything in the box was opened. I'll be contacting the seller but second hand GPU's should be ok shouldn't they?

Sanjay

Some pictures of my semi-new self build water rig.

img_2121cpr3xeyrf0.jpg

img_2088y4ku18nux04uug3rvn.jpg

ASUS Maximus V Gene
i5 3570K @ 4500 MHz
16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast @ 2000 MHz
Gainward GTX 580 @ 1000 MHz

Gpu update is planned for next year… I haven't quite decided which one yet.

You dirty bastard, clean your PC.

kennah

Thanks, it was also advertised as new but it's clearly not. There's a small indent on the fan shroud and everything in the box was opened. I'll be contacting the seller but second hand GPU's should be ok shouldn't they?

Contact the seller for sure, but no harm in testing it. I use mostly second hand stuff myself, but usually buy from reliable sources.

PSA

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...egg.com/Lianli/13-4761/696x88.jpg&icid=213153

All Lian Li cases 20% off at NewEgg.

Sanctuary

Look at the OP's PC builds spreadsheet. With 800ish$ you can build a PC able to roflstomp every PC game for at least 3 years to come.

Really depends on the resolution (if going above 1080p) and how much eye candy someone wants. $800 machines really are not "monster" machines since the graphics cards you really want in terms of pushing what you can turn on while at a framerate without noticeable drops or stutter cost around $500 minimum. Although if you only game at 1080p and just use 16x AF with a lower amount of AA and want to have the in game graphics set to high - extreme (or whatever it has), you probably could do that for under $1000. Realistically a "monster" PC will cost around $1500 before you get into the crazy stuff.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
GAF, I was thinking of building a new PC for the next generation, as my current PC has almost stopped working. I have zeroed on the below mentioned config as of now. I have a few questions regarding this. First, will this rig be enough for next generation, at least for first 2-3 years? I will game at 1080p, with the best possible settings almost always (no SSAA etc. though). Also, can I get a better rig at the same budget? Shall I wait for a while as the AMD R2XX series graphics card series? What are the chances of new products or price drops in next 4-5 months? Any suggestions on this build are welcome.

Mobo- MSI H87-G43 Gaming Motherboard
RAM - 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)
Graphics card- Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GC 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
Processor- Intel 3.5 GHz LGA1150 4770K i7 4th Generation Processor
HDD-Toshiba 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (DT01ACA100)
SSD-Samsung 840 Series 250 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TD250BW)

kharma45

GAF, I was thinking of building a new PC for the next generation, as my current PC has almost stopped working. I have zeroed on the below mentioned config as of now. I have a few questions regarding this. First, will this rig be enough for next generation, at least for first 2-3 years? I will game at 1080p, with the best possible settings almost always (no SSAA etc. though). Also, can I get a better rig at the same budget? Shall I wait for a while as the AMD R2XX series graphics card series? What are the chances of new products or price drops in next 4-5 months? Any suggestions on this build are welcome.

Mobo- MSI H87-G43 Gaming Motherboard
RAM - 32 GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)
Graphics card- Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 GC 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card
Processor- Intel 3.5 GHz LGA1150 4770K i7 4th Generation Processor
HDD-Toshiba 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (DT01ACA100)
SSD-Samsung 840 Series 250 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TD250BW)

32GB of RAM is far, far too much unless you're doing loads of media work and stuff along that line. Dropping that to 8GB if you're just gaming will let you get a better mobo like the G45 Gaming instead and save tons of cash.

If you want to put a build together for us it's easiest to use http://pcpartpicker.com/, and there is a regional variant for most countries.

Dawg

mITX build ordered!

Asus DC II OC GTX 770
Asus Impact VI
Intel i5-4670K
Noctua NH-UH12S
Bitfenix Prodigy
Samsung EVO 840 250GB

I got a good deal on my old 3570K and motherboard so yeah, I bought a new Impact VI and processor :p

Already have an excellent 600W PSU and 8GB RAM, so I well re-use that stuff.

inb4 kennah bitfenix prodigy is not real mITX

Now we wait eagerly until the stuff arrives... pictures will be provided!

Addnan

mITX build ordered!

Asus DC II OC GTX 770
Asus Impact VI
Intel i5-4670K
Noctua NH-UH12S
Bitfenix Prodigy
Samsung EVO 840 250GB

I got a good deal on my old 3570K and motherboard so yeah, I bought a new Impact VI and processor :p

Well, he's right. It's so big they have an MATX version :p

Sanctuary

First, will this rig be enough for next generation, at least for first 2-3 years? I will game at 1080p, with the best possible settings almost always (no SSAA etc. though).

Yes. That's actually a bit better than my current PC, and mine is now four years old, and still has a good year or two left as far as playing games at least on 1080p (I can do many higher without hiccups).

Shall I wait for a while as the AMD R2XX series graphics card series? What are the chances of new products or price drops in next 4-5 months? Any suggestions on this build are welcome.

Newer cards with almost certainly cost more, and even the cheapest of the new cards might not even have a significant improvement. Older cards will probably drop in price though with the newer releases, and Nvidia should also be releasing their 8xx series before June (hoping for March/April).

kennah

Great!

And it's real mITX, just not Small Form Factor ;)

Still a great case though, I almost got one a year ago.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
32GB of RAM is far, far too much unless you're doing loads of media work and stuff along that line. Dropping that to 8GB if you're just gaming will let you get a better mobo like the G45 Gaming instead and save tons of cash.

If you want to put a build together for us it's easiest to use http://pcpartpicker.com/, and there is a regional variant for most countries.

Thanks bro. OK I will drop the RAM. Can get more if needed anytime anyway. Is anything else overkill? Is the build looks fine for the next generation? Shall I wait for a couple of months, in the light of the new cards coming. I am also worried about the 8 core CPUs. The next gen consoles having 8 core so I am not sure if a 4 core prroccessor like 4770k will hold. What do you think?

Yes. That's actually a bit better than my current PC, and mine is now four years old, and still has a good year or two left as far as playing games at least on 1080p (I can do many higher without hiccups).

Newer cards with almost certainly cost more, and even the cheapest of the new cards might not even have a significant improvement. Older cards will probably drop in price though with the newer releases, and Nvidia should also be releasing their 8xx series before June (hoping for March/April).

So shall I wait for a few months?

solarus

mITX build ordered!

Asus DC II OC GTX 770
Asus Impact VI
Intel i5-4670K
Noctua NH-UH12S
Bitfenix Prodigy
Samsung EVO 840 250GB

Now we wait eagerly until the stuff arrives... pictures will be provided!
Be a real man and get a node 304. Best case I've ever had, so small and it fits my evo 212 cooler and gtx 670 easily.

kharma45

Thanks bro. OK I will drop the RAM. Can get more if needed anytime anyway. Is anything else overkill? Is the build looks fine for the next generation? Shall I wait for a couple of months, in the light of the new cards coming. I am also worried about the 8 core CPUs. The next gen consoles having 8 core so I am not sure if a 4 core prroccessor like 4770k will hold. What do you think?

There aren't any true 8 core CPUs on sale unless you go extremely, extremely high end into Ivy Bridge EP to get more than 6.

I prefer the 7970/280X over the 770, performs the same and is better cheaper. I'd stick to WD for HDDs.

What are you doing about a case and PSU?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
There aren't any true 8 core CPUs on sale unless you go extremely, extremely high end into Ivy Bridge EP to get more than 6.

I prefer the 7970/280X over the 770, performs the same and is better cheaper. I'd stick to WD for HDDs.

What are you doing about a case and PSU?

Have a Coolermaster 600W PSU which has not been used much. I am hoping that would be enough. Will that be?
As far as the case goes, I am not planning to get a very expensive one. A cheap coolermaster or like that would do. Any suggestions?
I would also look at 280x. Didn't think about it. I also dont mind waiting 2-3 months, if something new or a price-drop is around the corner.
A big thanks for the feedback bro.

kharma45

Have a Coolermaster 600W PSU which has not been used much. I am hoping that would be enough. Will that be?
As far as the case goes, I am not planning to get a very expensive one. A cheap coolermaster or like that would do. Any suggestions?
I would also look at 280x. Didn't think about it. I also dont mind waiting 2-3 months, if something new or a price-drop is around the corner.
A big thanks for the feedback bro.

Depends on the model of the PSU, they've made some stinkers.

For cases stick to the OP for cheap ones like the Source 210,CM's bottom end stuff wasn't great last time I looked.

Nothing new GPU wise will be coming for another 6 months at very, very earliest.

Sanctuary

So shall I wait for a few months?

That's really up to you, and how long you can actually hold off. Nobody knows yet how much of an improvement the new Nvidia cards will be, or if they can run at the low sound levels of the 7xx cards. Even if you don't care about getting an Nvidia card, the prices of many of the current cards should drop. News should be rolling out within two months though, even if the newer cards aren't released for another two or three months after.

*bro hug* I'm in Canada. I don't have good newegg.

Isn't NCIX the equivalent? Plus, they have Linus.

kennah

Isn't NCIX the equivalent? Plus, they have Linus.

NCIX is pretty good, and we do have a new egg, but half the stuff you order from there comes from the states anyway (thus more expensive shipping and takes longer).

It isn't like Europe bad up here, but we certainly don't get the same caliber of deals that the states does.

EDIT: Though it seems NCIX.CA has the white Node 304 for $70, which isn't bad.

http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=85550&vpn=FD-CA-NODE-304-WH&manufacture=Fractal Design&promoid=1313

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
No, it's pretty shit frankly. Poor efficiency and can't do it's stated wattage http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...eme-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034

Budget for a new unit.

Damn! I guess I will budget for a new one then. Thanks for all the help bro. I know there is an OP with all the details, but any good ones from your personal experience? For a card like gtx 770/r280 x and likes?
Last questions, I promise! :)

That's really up to you, and how long you can actually hold off. Nobody knows yet how much of an improvement the new Nvidia cards will be, or if they can run at the low sound levels of the 7xx cards. Even if you don't care about getting an Nvidia card, the prices of many of the current cards should drop. News should be rolling out within two months though, even if the newer cards aren't released for another two or three months after.

Hmm. I can hold out till Thief releases, which should be in February. Hmm...I might wait. Thanks man.

kharma45

Damn! I guess I will budget for a new one then. Thanks for all the help bro. I know there is an OP with all the details, but any good ones from your personal experience? For a card like gtx 770/r280 x and likes?
Last questions, I promise! :)

All depends on what you can spend on one.

Sanctuary

Hmm, it had been a while since I opened up my case for a good cleaning and all of this time I kept thinking that I had a 650w PSU. I actually have the HX850w from Aug 2009. I have never needed that much power since I only run a single card configuration (bought it for a "just in case" purpose though).

I'm wondering if when I build my new system if I should just get the lowest watt that I'd need, but high quality and efficient PSU I can for my current system since it will mostly just be used for media and storage and use the 850 in the new build. This PSU has a Silver rating, so its 90% efficient in most cases. It's also really quiet. Just not sure how long a typical "good" PSU should last before really needing to replace it if you don't actually need more watts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Steam combined with an audio driver always prevented my machine from going to sleep. If you can identify what is blocking sleep there is a command line command that you can use to prevent that particular driver/application from preventing the PC from going to sleep.

Edit: That is if the sleep issue you are having is that it simply will not go to sleep.

Nah, my issue is that when it come back from sleep it seems to cycle the sleep states. So if I start in S5, it moves to S3, then S2 then S1 before coming full on. Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom