• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdad123

MINI ITX PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

NODE 304 for $55 at newegg!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352027

Sorry Dawg :p

Was on sale for $39.99 a couple days ago :p

Also, I have a quick question. I bought a used gtx 680 for $265, but it seems to be missing the stand offs that the dvi cable screws into on one of the ports. Is there any way to replace those or should I ask for a refund? (I don't want there to be a problem with EVGA if I ever need a RMA in case they say something about the missing stand offs)

kennah

Was on sale for $39.99 a couple days ago :p

Also, I have a quick question. I bought a used gtx 680 for $265, but it seems to be missing the stand offs that the dvi cable screws into on one of the ports. Is there any way to replace those or should I ask for a refund? (I don't want there to be a problem with EVGA if I ever need a RMA in case they say something about the missing stand offs)

Bah :p I can't always be right.

If the nut is missing then it would be very difficult to replace. If the nut is there, the standoff is standard so you could pull one from pretty much any other video card.

asdad123

Bah :p I can't always be right.

If the nut is missing then it would be very difficult to replace. If the nut is there, the standoff is standard so you could pull one from pretty much any other video card.

Hmm I'll have to check if the nut is missing when I get home. Hopefully its not because I think $265 was a good price for it (or at least I hope it was lol).

If it is, I'll have to ask the seller for a refund, especially since he didn't send me the card I asked for. He was selling two of the same ones, one with warranty from 3/12 and the other from 7/12. I purchased the first one and requested the one from 7/12, but he sent me the one from 3/12.

kennah

Hmm I'll have to check if the nut is missing when I get home. Hopefully its not because I think $265 was a good price for it (or at least I hope it was lol).

If it is, I'll have to ask the seller for a refund, especially since he didn't send me the card I asked for. He was selling two of the same ones, one with warranty from 3/12 and the other from 7/12. I purchased the first one and requested the one from 7/12, but he sent me the one from 3/12.

Too bad. Good price. Good luck!

Posting for mkenyon.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/sys/4130267355.html

Friend of his in the phoenix area is selling three 120 hz monitors.

Lum1n3s

Yay or Nay?

Raidmax Gold Rated Psu

For $10 more one can get this as opposed to the one from Seasonic that was posted earlier. After the rebate it would go down to $69.99. I currently have one of their psu in my old build and have had it for three years with no problems what so ever.
Going to bump again. Just wondering about some opinions because I'm currently deciding between this and the other one that ends today that gold rated Seasonic X series 650w.

Hey GAF, I currently have a 3 year old 21.5 inch Asus 1080P LCD lit monitor that I'm looking to upgrade.

I was looking at the Viewsonic VX2770SMH-LED (27 Inches, 1080p, IPS, LED Lit) for about $260USD. I'm about to pull the trigger on this thing, but then I was thinking maybe I should get a 1440P monitor instead.

What do you guys think? With 4k and maybe 8k becoming a standard in the next few years, would buying a 1080P monitor today be pointless? Then again, wouldn't 1440P be pointless too?

Right sorry about the delay, got sidetracked. As of now this is the best imo

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 330R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $922.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-13 18:07 EDT-0400)

It has actually come in at the exact same price as before. If you're needing Windows that'd take you up to your $1000 budget. Also if Microcenter deliver to you they've a good deal on the Fractal Core 3000 at $40 http://www.microcenter.com/product/383061/Core_3000_ATX_Mid_Tower_Computer_Case

They also do great CPU/motherboard deals too but they're in-store only.

It's all stuff really that you likely won't need, the Gigabyte is a fantastic board and will be more than ample.

I still haven't been able to purchase this build yet.UPS screwed up my return delaying my refund on a laptop. My package has literally been sitting in NJ since friday and it should be in california lol. I'm just going to give up on gaming laptops and going strictly desktop...too costly and no realistic way to upgrade except to sell at a loss and get a new model. Also not comparable performance obviously. If I had $100 more to spend where should I put it...GPU I guess? Also any recommends on a monitor less than $200? I'm hoping my return goes in tomorrow so probably order on Monday.

I am very concerned about Watch_Dogs, COD Ghosts, and BF4 recommending 6 core CPUS. Im currently running on a I5 4570 that does not have a K multiplier. I know these games arent out yet, and no one can predict the future. But in theory could I run these games basically maxed out with a frame rate above 30?

If my cpu isnt up to snuff how does one usually go about upgrading a CPU? Do you just have to buy a new motherboard along side the CPU? Can you take the old CPU out and just put the new one in its place?

kharma45

Thats something I hope to do in the future. From what I'm seeing the X series Seasonic is capable for it right?

I wouldn't on the 650w one, cuts it a bit fine.

I still haven't been able to purchase this build yet.UPS screwed up my return delaying my refund on a laptop. My package has literally been sitting in NJ since friday and it should be in california lol. I'm just going to give up on gaming laptops and going strictly desktop...too costly and no realistic way to upgrade except to sell at a loss and get a new model. Also not comparable performance obviously. If I had $100 more to spend where should I put it...GPU I guess? Also any recommends on a monitor less than $200? I'm hoping my return goes in tomorrow so probably order on Monday.

That build will have to change again, PSU is no longer on offer nor is the case, although the RAM is down in price. Now we'd be looking at this

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $932.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-17 18:33 EDT-0400)

$10 more than before but you're getting a better mobo, case and PSU. Well worth the extra.

You could upgrade to an i7 with the extra cash, would cost $1027 then overall.

I wouldn't on the 650w one, cuts it a bit fine.

That build will have to change again, PSU is no longer on offer nor is the case, although the RAM is down in price. Now we'd be looking at this

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $932.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-17 18:33 EDT-0400)

$10 more than before but you're getting a better mobo, case and PSU. Well worth the extra.

Will probably change again by monday too lol. So what if I had $100 more to spend. Go with the i7 like other guy said? Also, the video I watched about installing CPU had thermal paste already applied to fan. Will this be the case here or do I have to do it myself cause I've never done it lol. Will this be able to play bf4 decently you think?

kharma45

Will probably change again by monday too lol. So what if I had $100 more to spend. Go with the i7 like other guy said?

It will yeah, that PSU is only on sale for another couple of days. It's a bargain at that price btw. This is also a very, very good deal and is even more of a bargain at $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

As for thermal paste the Hyper 212 comes with a tube of it. All you have to do is squeeze out a pea sized amount and plonk the cooler on.

I'd grab the i7 over a 7970 upgrade, easier to upgrade a GPU down the line than a CPU. 7950 also overclocks really well so you'll likely be able to get it up to 7970 levels.

kennah

I am very concerned about Watch_Dogs, COD Ghosts, and BF4 recommending 6 core CPUS. Im currently running on a I5 4570 that does not have a K multiplier. I know these games arent out yet, and no one can predict the future. But in theory could I run these games basically maxed out with a frame rate above 30?

If my cpu isnt up to snuff how does one usually go about upgrading a CPU? Do you just have to buy a new motherboard along side the CPU? Can you take the old CPU out and just put the new one in its place?
We don't know.

We won't know until it happens.

It might be just fine. It might not. A lot also depends on GPU as well.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Haven't seen it mentioned yet: we (NVIDIA) are starting a new bundle on the 28th. If you're intending to buy one our GPUs you should wait, or you'll miss out on free games: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies

nvidia-geforce-gtx-holiday-bundle-with-shield-tiers-v2.png

It will yeah, that PSU is only on sale for another couple of days. It's a bargain at that price btw. This is also a very, very good deal and is even more of a bargain at $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

As for thermal paste the Hyper 212 comes with a tube of it. All you have to do is squeeze out a pea sized amount and plonk the cooler on.

I'd grab the i7 over a 7970 upgrade, easier to upgrade a GPU down the line than a CPU. 7950 also overclocks really well so you'll likely be able to get it up to 7970 levels.
Got a link to the i7 I should get?

AcridMeat

Banned
Wow the case already showed up, love when the shipping is shorter than estimated.

Another question, Windows 7, 8 or 8.1? I won't use any of the app stuff from 8, I know 8.1 allows you to just boot to desktop right away, but I'm also considering just going with 7 so I don't have to mess with anything at all.

kennah

both should

Got a link to the i7 I should get?

Wow the case already showed up, love when the shipping is shorter than estimated.

Another question, Windows 7, 8 or 8.1? I won't use any of the app stuff from 8, I know 8.1 allows you to just boot to desktop right away, but I'm also considering just going with 7 so I don't have to mess with anything at all.
whatever is cheapest or 8.1

8 supposedly has better performance in bf4 if that matters

I am having an issue with a powerline adapter and I was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar.

Whenever I try to download anything it disconnects. I can stream twitch and surf the internet just fine, but when I try to download a game on steam or anything, it will download for a good 5 seconds then crap out.

Anyone know what the issue might be and if there is a fix?

kharma45

ss_lemonade

I'm planning on upgrading either storage or my monitor (wish I had more money to spare for both T_T). Its either a 256gb ssd (840 pro probably) or a 120hz or higher monitor. Which one would be the better purchase?

I currently have a 1tb WD blue and a 1080p 23in LG LCD whose model name I can't remember (at work at the moment)

Haven't seen it mentioned yet: we (NVIDIA) are starting a new bundle on the 28th. If you're intending to buy one our GPUs you should wait, or you'll miss out on free games: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...day-bundle-featuring-heroes-pirates-and-spies
I didn't get anything when I bought my 780 last June (also bought a Shield during PAX) :(.

kharma45

I'm planning on upgrading either storage or my monitor (wish I had more money to spare for both T_T). Its either a 256gb ssd (840 pro probably) or a 120hz or higher monitor. Which one would be the better purchase?

I currently have a 1tb WD blue and a 1080p 23in LG LCD whose model name I can't remember (at work at the moment) .

If it were me I'd grab the SSD. Don't bother with the Pro, it's not really worth the extra over the standard 840 or the Evo or other drives at that price.

Sanctuary

So wait, if you were planning on getting those games anyway and a graphics card, you're saving $180? Hell, even one game almost makes it worth buying a new card now instead of next year if you really want to upgrade. The best time to go for this bundle would probably be around the 18th of November since many stores start their Black Friday sales up to a week in advance.

You also get to wait on reviews of those games.

asdad123

Holy shit at powerline adapters. Best $25 I ever spent.

I was getting 5-6 mbps on the built in wifi from my gigabyte board (compared to the 15-20 I was getting on my P8Z77). I bought a set of powerline adapters from microcenter today, jumped up to 55mbps download!

It was gonna take me 12 hours to DL battlefield 3 last night, now its 38 minutes. Cant go back to wifi lol.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm coming back to PC Gaming after having a shit PC for a few years. Here's the PC I just ordered.

Case: Fractal Design R4 Artic White w/ window
CPU: i7 4770k 3.5GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 16GB
GPU: Radeon 7970
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB

Storage and mobo to go with it, yadda yadda.

How do you guys think it will do against BF4?

Holy shit at powerline adapters. Best $25 I ever spent.

I was getting 5-6 mbps on the built in wifi from my gigabyte board (compared to the 15-20 I was getting on my P8Z77). I bought a set of powerline adapters from microcenter today, jumped up to 55mbps download!

It was gonna take me 12 hours to DL battlefield 3 last night, now its 38 minutes. Cant go back to wifi lol.

Yeah it's soooo goood. I don't get random disconnects anymore.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The Silverstone TJ11 is gorgeous, but I don't plan on going back to the 90 degree motherboard orientation of the FT02/RV02 because I don't want to use reference-cooled videocards and don't plan on water-cooling. If I still want an aluminum case, is Caselabs the only other option?

Does anyone know where I can get a decent two way SLI bridge from by Monday? For some reason my Gigabyte X79 only came with a three way and a four way, actually can I use either of them?

Seems like all the R9 280x cards are out of stock. What's the best 7970 Ghz card out there? is it the MSI Twin Frozr?

Asus DC2 I think is the best out of the non-premium editions (like toxic, matrix, or lightning) for overclocking.

Actually, this R9 280x is still in stock. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202045

Should I get this tomorrow?

You can get the cheaper MSI twin frozr version unless you prefer the vapor-x coolers. I think reviews have the MSI second behind the DC2 for overclocking (barring the toxic and matrix 280x)

jbpaz

Asus DC2 I think is the best out of the non-premium editions (like toxic, matrix, or lightning) for overclocking.

You can get the cheaper MSI twin frozr version unless you prefer the vapor-x coolers. I think reviews have the MSI second behind the DC2 for overclocking (barring the toxic and matrix 280x)

Whats the difference in performance of that R9 280x and the MSI twin frozr?

jbpaz

That's just MSI's version of the 280x with the twin frozr 4 cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127759

I'll get that then. Cheers mate

EDIT: I've completed my part list for my build I'm planning to buy tomorrow. Can someone look over it? Also, how good is SuperBiiz as a merchant?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($303.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1093.84
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-18 03:12 EDT-0400)

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
The Silverstone TJ11 is gorgeous, but I don't plan on going back to the 90 degree motherboard orientation of the FT02/RV02 because I don't want to use reference-cooled videocards and don't plan on water-cooling. If I still want an aluminum case, is Caselabs the only other option?

Lian Li almost exclusively make all-aluminium cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom