• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addnan

Not looking to break the bank here, but should I (or could I) be looking for a good upgrade concerning these two parts? I play at 1080p as well.

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: HD 6950 2 GB
Stick with the processor and overclock it, can get a good performance boost.

GPU wise it will depend on your budget, but you can stick anything in there really. 760 is a good bang for the buck kinda performance. $250.

Yes! That's what it was. Thanks for the help. Odd that GFE didn't detect that driver, but it's working now. Thank you.

Think that was because 320.18 were not meant for the 760. The 760 launched with beta drivers of 320.49.

dommynick

Is there really no consensus replacement for the Samsung F3 hard drives? I actually have one now that's serving me very well, but I'm selling my current rig since I'm moving countries and building a new box after the move. The F3's really hit that sweet spot of performance, price, and noise, I'll be sad if there's no worthy successor.

Mad Max

Is there really no consensus replacement for the Samsung F3 hard drives? I actually have one now that's serving me very well, but I'm selling my current rig since I'm moving countries and building a new box after the move. The F3's really hit that sweet spot of performance, price, and noise, I'll be sad if there's no worthy successor.

Just keep the HDD in that case and sell the rest. (You really shouldn't sell HDD's anyway imo)

Soodanim

Does anyone know something I don't regarding the 760 4gb, or just anything at all? I haven't had any luck Googling for it, and I'd much rather go for 4gb than 2gb.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stick with the processor and overclock it, can get a good performance boost.

GPU wise it will depend on your budget, but you can stick anything in there really. 760 is a good bang for the buck kinda performance. $250.

I wouldn't mind going to $300, but only if its worth it.

Thank you for the input btw. =)

Addnan

I wouldn't mind going to $300, but only if its worth it.

Thank you for the input btw. =)

At $300 there is the 7950, but performance wise it is pretty much the same as the 760.

The next jump would be into the $400 margin where 770 and 7970 sit, can't go wrong with either.

Does anyone know something I don't regarding the 760 4gb, or just anything at all? I haven't had any luck Googling for it, and I'd much rather go for 4gb than 2gb.

The only 4GB I can find is the EVGA version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130937&Tpk=gtx 760&IsVirtualParent=1

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

I just installed one. What would you like to know?

Yeah, IIRC that's the only one available. 4GB might be overkill right now, but for $35 more, it's a no brainer. I just wish I could have found one superclocked and with better cooling.

TheD

The Detective
So, not meaning to nag or anything, but thoughts from anyone? Components I should change, downgrade/upgrade whatever. I'm looking to get good performance but better value for money + reduced noise/power consumption would be great of course. Or should I wait for something? Thoughts are appreciated. Previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67732746&postcount=1556

Well, If you do not plan on overclocking then there is no reason to get a "K" CPU.

peakish

Adding to what was already said, you can get some decent cooling involved and overclock that bad boy to 4.3. easily. I'm sitting at 4.4 on air cooling but will be going to liquid fairly shortly. Crank it up~! Pretty sure that Dolphin emulation is just as intensive as Metro and you can run that will ease on that setup with some bells and whistles turned down.
Cool, I did decide on getting the Noctua U12S in the end, don't think it was anything to hesitate about. I'll see how far I can overclock before it raises the noise too much, I'd be more than happy for 3.9 or something.

Parts are ordered, should be delivered today or tomorrow. Thank you, kennah, and mkenyon for SFF inspiration. Can't wait~

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So, not meaning to nag or anything, but thoughts from anyone? Components I should change, downgrade/upgrade whatever. I'm looking to get good performance but better value for money + reduced noise/power consumption would be great of course. Or should I wait for something? Thoughts are appreciated. Previous post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67732746&postcount=1556

I'd recommend switching to 2x8GB for the memory instead of 4x4GB, there's no benefit to using four modules on a dual channel motherboard, only drawbacks as four DIMMs is known to put extra strain on motherboards.

Not sure I'd go with that particular Gigabyte motherboard, from my own experience the minimum you should go with would be one of the Ultra Durable models like the GA-Z87X-UD4H

The HX650 is overkill, you could save a little by going for the TX650v2 instead, still a highly rated PSU.

As for a quiet Cooler, Look at the Corsair H60 2013, replace the stock fan with a Noctua NF-12 PWM and you should have pretty good, silent cooling for your 4670K. (Although if you DO decide you want to overclock, I'd look at the Corsair H90 or H80i coolers instead)

Addnan

Build looks fine, but you can bump down to a 4570 and a H87 board if you are not going to overclock.

TheD

The Detective
I'd recommend switching to 2x8GB for the memory instead of 4x4GB, there's no benefit to using four modules on a dual channel motherboard, only drawbacks as four DIMMs is known to put extra strain on motherboards.

The HX650 is overkill, you could save a little by going for the TX650v2 instead, still a highly rated PSU.

I agree that 2x8GB is better, on the other hand I do not think it is a good idea to get a non modular PSU like the TX.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I agree that 2x8GB is better, on the other hand I do not think it is a good idea to get a non modular PSU like the TX.

With the cable management and amount of space behind the motherboard tray in a Define R4 I don't think modular/non-modular will be that big a deal.

My R4 has just arrived! - Man, nice build quality and ACRES of space for good cabling set-ups!

Hypron

Get her an i7 in there like the 4770K, it'll help with encoding. You can probably do without a dedicated GPU entirely, since the iGPU is powerful enough when you're not gaming or doing 3d work. I'd also go with 16GB of memory (doesn't have to be the fastest stuff) instead of 8.

For the PSU I'd recommend you get something like the SeaSonic M12II-520Bronze, instead of that shitty corsair unit.

You could also look into doing an mATX or ITX build instead of going with a full ATX mobo and midtower. There really isn't a good reason to get such a large case if you don't need space for a big gpu or a ton of HDDs.

Thanks for your help. Here is what I came up with:

1372845009-pc.png

I opted for an i7 4770 since I'm not planning on overclocking and paying $50 more to get a 4770k for just an extra 100 MHz is a bit expensive.

I'm not sure the hyper 212 Evo will fit in the case though. In theory it should (according to datasheets it's 159mm high and the case can fit CPU coolers up to 165mm high), but the clearance is pretty small.

Mad Max

Considering buying a new PC this summer.
Current PC specs (not really important): Core 2 Duo E8400 @ stock, 4GB DDR2, Asus P5Q Pro, Radeon HD7850 2GB, Corsair HX 520W, 2x Samsung 7200RPM 1TB HDDs, 2x Samsung 5400RPM 2TB HDDs. I will probably pass this PC on to my sister, but I'll carry over the two 2TB drives for some extra storage. So don't re-use parts from this otherwise.

Budget: ~€1500 (excl. monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers), the Netherlands
Main use: Gaming (5), general usage (4), streaming games in HD (1)
Monitor: Currently using a 1920*1200 display, might upgrade to a 2560*1440 or 2560*1600 one, but I'm worried that might cost me too much performance locking me into an upgrade cycle that is a bit too frequent for my tastes.
Apps that must run well: Europa Universalis IV :)P), generally I want to be able to run the standard console port stuff well enough for this computer to last at least a few years without upgrades and without resorting to the 'low' setting. 30fps is fine. I don't know the impact of the other things well enough to judge (PhysX/SuperSampling/CUDA)
Looking to reuse any parts?: Two Samsung 5400RPM 2TB SATA drives.
When will you build?: No deadline, but I feel my current PC is really on its last legs in most areas of performance, anything but GPU stuff really (my 4870 512MB broke last year and I got a good deal on the 7850).
Will you be overclocking?: No. Power consumption and heat matter to me enough for me not to want to do that.

I was thinking of something like this:
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k
CPU cooler: Any suggestions on something quiet? I'd be fine with paying a little extra for something that is going to be really quiet.
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87P-D3
Memory: 4x Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600Mhz
GPU: Gainward GTX 770 Phantom 4GB
SSD: Samsung 840 series 500GB
DVD drive: Some Samsung thing. I don't own a DVD player other than my 360, so I want this. I know you can use USB to install Windows etc., doesn't matter.
HDD: WD Green 3TB
PSU: Corsair HX650

Also a new wired 360 pad (because I'm quite confident there won't be a wired Xbone pad) and a new mousepad, but that stuff is not important for this thread ;). Think that covers it no? Oh, I will probably be buying from Azerty.nl, and be getting them to do the assembly as well.

Change to mobo to something like the Gigabyte Z87x-D3H or Z87x-UD3H.

http://azerty.nl/8-5602-624159/gigabyte-z87x-d3h-moederbord-.html
http://azerty.nl/8-5602-624158/gigabyte-z87x-ud3h-moederbord.html

For the PSU I'd recommend the seasonic X650 instead of the HX650 since the X650 is based on a newer and better platform, although the HX is still a good PSU.

http://azerty.nl/8-1073-567844/sea-sonic-x-650-v2-voeding.html

If you want a quiet cooler that still performs well enough you can get the coolermaster hyper 412S (not the slim, which is different): http://azerty.nl/8-976-458903/cooler-master-hyper-412s-koe.html

Also if you get the 4670K I'd recommend you to OC it. As long as you don't increase the vcore the heat output will not increase much, allowing you to gain some free performance.

All in all this should be a huge upgrade compared to your old PC.

Addnan

Thanks for your help. Here is what I came up with:

1372845009-pc.png

I opted for an i7 4770 since I'm not planning on overclocking and paying $50 more to get a 4770k for just an extra 100 MHz is a bit expensive.

I'm not sure the hyper 212 Evo will fit in the case though. In theory it should (according to datasheets it's 159mm high and the case can fit CPU coolers up to 165mm high), but the clearance is pretty small.
You don't need the hyper 212 at stock speeds. Only reason to buy would be for noise reasons, but the stock cooler is perfectly capable at stock speeds and since you are not getting a K processor there's no point getting a separate cooler.

Do you really need a blu ray burner? It's pretty expensive if you are not going to burn blu rays

edit: Are you just using onboard graphics? If so that is a serious over kill on the PSU.

Hypron

You don't need the hyper 212 at stock speeds. Only reason to buy would be for noise reasons, but the stock cooler is perfectly capable at stock speeds and since you are not getting a K processor there's no point getting a separate cooler.

That's actually why I want to get one. The few stock coolers that I have used were way too noisy for me.

Edit:
Do you really need a blu ray burner? It's pretty expensive if you are not going to burn blu rays
Yeah the computer is for my mother. She told me she wanted to be able to read/burn blu-rays.

edit: Are you just using onboard graphics? If so that is a serious over kill on the PSU.

Oh okay. I put it in there because Mad Max recommended it and because it's a modular PSU (apparently the TJ08B-E doesn't have that much free space). What would you recommend instead? None of the PSU's in the OP are in stock/available in my country :/

Mad Max

Oh okay. I put it in there because Mad Max recommended it and because it's a modular PSU (apparently the TJ08B-E doesn't have that much free space). What would you recommend instead? None of the PSU's in the OP are in stock/available in my country :/

You can check the internet to see if someone has that combo of case and cooler, to give you an idea if it will fit.

Also the PSU you have now is the 650W version, while I recommended the 520W instead :p. Still the 520W version is also a bit overkill, but (based on pricing here in europe) you won't gain much by going any lower in terms of budget.

Addnan

Any decent brand 400W will be more than enough.

MedIC86

I hope anyone can help me, i just did a new build with windows 8 (i have used windows 8 before on my old pc with no probs).

There is a constant use of high memory around 70%. when i look in the processes i see nothing using memory out of the ordinairy. But when i look in the task manager it says non-paged pool 3.6gb (i have 8gb) is that normal? i heard that happens sometimes when drivers or something have a memory leak. Is there anyway to find out what is causing this?

specs:
i5 4670k
geforce 770gtx
8gb corsair (1600mhz)
msi z87g45 gaming motherboard
coolermaster pro gold 1000w

Hypron

You can check the internet to see if someone has that combo of case and cooler, to give you an idea if it will fit.

Also the PSU you have now is the 650W version, while I recommended the 520W instead :p. Still the 520W version is also a bit overkill, but (based on pricing here in europe) you won't gain much by going any lower in terms of budget.

Oh okay. Sadly the 520W model isn't available here. Those are all the modular PSU 's that are cheaper than the 650W model and available (the ones without a green symbol to the right are not in stock):

1372849352-iphone-image-07-03-2013.jpg

I'm currently reading reviews for all of these, hopefully I'll find one that's good.

Edit: So apparently the cx430m is pretty good according to this this review. It's really cheap as well.

Osiris

My Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans have arrived, damn they are packaged nice.

Going to take me a bit to get used to the color of them though.

lowbeat

Neo Member
I need help about getting new motherboard, since there are so many new choices.

Here is build that I have in mind(First 4 parts are the ones I will be buying, everything in Spoiler is what I already own, and parts that have "XX" next to them are the ones I will be getting rid of.
MB:???
CPU:4770k
Ram: G.skill TridentX 2x8gb 2400mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb
MB:Gigabyte EP43-S3l XX
CPU:E7200 2x2.53 XX
Ram:2x2gb Kingston ddr2 XX
GPU:Zotac gtx 560ti
HDD: WD 2tb green (For big files)
HDD: Seagate 1tb (for games and other stuff)
PSU: CM Silent Pro 700W Modular
Optical:DVD Writer
Case:CM690II

I will be using this Pc for Gaming, movie encoding (x264 libraries) and 3d rendering, feel free to change any of the first 4 parts, or suggest something else, that should be changed, as long as the price doesn't go up,or the stuff that I don't need and could pay less for other part that will do just fine.
Keep in mind that I will be overclocking in 2-3 years, not right away, since I wont need it now.

kennah

Oh okay. Sadly the 520W model isn't available here. Those are all the modular PSU 's that are cheaper than the 650W model and available (the ones without a green symbol to the right are not in stock):

1372849352-iphone-image-07-03-2013.jpg

I'm currently reading reviews for all of these, hopefully I'll find one that's good.

Edit: So apparently the cx430m is pretty good according to this this review. It's really cheap as well.

What video editing software does she use?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah, it says all my drivers are up to date.I'm running 320.18. It's weird, because the card is being detected, but the GPU isn't supported for some reason. Under the "Games" tab in GFE, there's a check by all of my PC components except the GTX 760. It shows it right there too.

Here's a screen capture.
GFE%20Error.png

I know someone might have helped but have you grabbed the newer 326.xx driver?

Sothpaw

I need help about getting new motherboard, since there are so many new choices.

Here is build that I have in mind(First 4 parts are the ones I will be buying, everything in Spoiler is what I already own, and parts that have "XX" next to them are the ones I will be getting rid of.
MB:???
CPU:4770k
Ram: G.skill TridentX 2x8gb 2400mhz
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128gb
MB:Gigabyte EP43-S3l XX
CPU:E7200 2x2.53 XX
Ram:2x2gb Kingston ddr2 XX
GPU:Zotac gtx 560ti
HDD: WD 2tb green (For big files)
HDD: Seagate 1tb (for games and other stuff)
PSU: CM Silent Pro 700W Modular
Optical:DVD Writer
Case:CM690II

I will be using this Pc for Gaming, movie encoding (x264 libraries) and 3d rendering, feel free to change any of the first 4 parts, or suggest something else, that should be changed, as long as the price doesn't go up,or the stuff that I don't need and could pay less for other part that will do just fine.
Keep in mind that I will be overclocking in 2-3 years, not right away, since I wont need it now.

I got the Gigabyte Z87 X-OC for the Haswell PC I built 2 weeks ago. I love it and it also looks great through my clear case panel.

Celdiruen

Neo Member
The build looks good if you want to go with haswell, but performance wise Ivy and Haswell are almost identical. If you want to overclock, Ivy is the better choice. You will be able to hit decent speeds and not get the quite high temperatures of Haswell.

If their stock performance is the same and Ivy overclocks better, what's the reason people are going for Haswell?

Amneisac

I'm casually monitor shopping, trying to find a balance that works for me between 16:10 (I would prefer it) - an IPS panel, and 120hz. I realize this is going to be a personal decision, but I had a few questions if anyone could answer:

1.) 16:10 - Is the slight difference in vertical height going to be enough to reduce motion sickness? Since I bought a 16:9 monitor a few years ago I've noticed I'm pretty sensitive to FOV and I've been getting a lot more motion sickness when gaming. I also don't really like the fisheye effect when I have to crank the FOV to 100+. How much less of a problem is this with a 16:10 monitor?

2.) If I have a 660ti is it even worth looking at 120hz OR 2550x1440 monitors? Will my card be able to take advantage of either one?

3.) If I buy a cheap S. Korean panel off eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...on-ll-27-2560x1440-Monitor-Matt-/330942532221) and it doesn't have an internal scaler - will I be able to output at 1920x1080 or will it just make a box in the middle of the screen and not use the whole screen?

Addnan

If their stock performance is the same and Ivy overclocks better, what's the reason people are going for Haswell?
The stock performance is not the same, Haswell is slightly better in some task, in gaming though the difference is almost zero.

Some people just want the latest and so they are going for Haswell.

Koroviev

I'm casually monitor shopping, trying to find a balance that works for me between 16:10 (I would prefer it) - an IPS panel, and 120hz. I realize this is going to be a personal decision, but I had a few questions if anyone could answer:

1.) 16:10 - Is the slight difference in vertical height going to be enough to reduce motion sickness? Since I bought a 16:9 monitor a few years ago I've noticed I'm pretty sensitive to FOV and I've been getting a lot more motion sickness when gaming. I also don't really like the fisheye effect when I have to crank the FOV to 100+. How much less of a problem is this with a 16:10 monitor?

2.) If I have a 660ti is it even worth looking at 120hz OR 2550x1440 monitors? Will my card be able to take advantage of either one?

3.) If I buy a cheap S. Korean panel off eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...on-ll-27-2560x1440-Monitor-Matt-/330942532221) and it doesn't have an internal scaler - will I be able to output at 1920x1080 or will it just make a box in the middle of the screen and not use the whole screen?

I appreciate 120Hz for general use more than for gaming. While it's certainly nice when I can get 120 fps in a game, it really does improve the whole interactive experience. I would say it's a difference on par with the jump from an HDD to an SSD. Can't speak for a resolution above 1080p though. Probably quite nice :p

Celdiruen

Neo Member
The stock performance is not the same, Haswell is slightly better in some task, in gaming though the difference is almost zero.

Some people just want the latest and so they are going for Haswell.

Hmm, I see. If I do a mild OC do you think the Hyper 212 Evo will be able to handle the Haswell temps?

Thanks for all your help, by the way!

kennah

Hmm, I see. If I do a mild OC do you think the Hyper 212 Evo will be able to handle the Haswell temps?

Thanks for all your help, by the way!

It should. Haswell seems to be begging for water to get any decent amount of overclock. You'd probably get 4ghz out of it.

Willectro

Banned
I see the VG248QE recommended. I'm very interested in this monitor (price is great), but a few reviews I read on Newegg claimed that the colors are poor (even after the profile). Are these people doing something wrong or using HDMI? Can anyone here vouch for this monitor? I would be using it with DVI, so HDMI isn't a consideration.

2San

I see the VG248QE recommended. I'm very interested in this monitor (price is great), but a few reviews I read on Newegg claimed that the colors are poor (even after the profile). Are these people doing something wrong or using HDMI? Can anyone here vouch for this monitor? I would be using it with DVI, so HDMI isn't a consideration.
I think it's pretty good color wise, especially after some calibration and downloading a profile for my 3d card. You will need Dual Link DVI or display port to get the 120Hz. If you aren't getting it for the 120Hz there are pretty screens out there I think.

Kambing

Why do I do this to myself?!

Just bought a define R4 case, gtx 780 and new fan to upgrade the PC. Going from a 670. I feel really silly. I could have bought 2 more PS4's lol

I was just wondering for those familiar with SLI, how much will my temperatures increase if I say, add another gtx 780? And I am assuming that if temps increase so will the noise level?

mkenyon

Banned
Why do I do this to myself?!

Just bought a define R4 case, gtx 780 and new fan to upgrade the PC. Going from a 670. I feel really silly. I could have bought 2 more PS4's lol

I was just wondering for those familiar with SLI, how much will my temperatures increase if I say, add another gtx 780? And I am assuming that if temps increase so will the noise level?
Depends on tons of variables, but yeah, temps will increase as will noise levels.

If you put a fan in that bottom slot as intake, and two high pressure fans in the front, the cards should be getting plenty of air though.

Kambing

Depends on tons of variables, but yeah, temps will increase as will noise levels.

If you put a fan in that bottom slot as intake, and two high pressure fans in the front, the cards should be getting plenty of air though.

I see. Will definitely keep that in mind regarding the fan. Sucks that I won't know just how much my temps will increase without actually installing a second card. Such is life I suppose. Thanks anyway mkenyon!

Diablos

56152.png

If I remember right with all the AA they've got going on, it's effectively rendering it at 8K. Also, notice the 1:1 gains for Titan and 7950 for multicard setups and the smaller than expected disparity between the two cards. Reason? Bandwidth is the bottleneck (as long as you've got 3GB of VRAM). 7950 is 81-84% performance of a Titan with 83% of the bandwidth. It's not until 4 Titans that you have enough bandwidth (~1TB/s).
3840x2160? Isn't that just a bit ridiculous? o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom