• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Naa, thats the next resolution of TVs. '4K'.

Only 4x the pixels of 1080p
Yes, I know. I still think that's a bit overkill :p

All my opinion, of course!

All games look great at 1080p and so I don't see the need to strive for more, but if you have the money to do it, more power to you.

Willectro

Banned
Thanks for the info, 2San.

Anyone have experience with the Corsair H100i? The fans seem a bit loud and one of them is making a faint clicking noise. I knew there was going to be some noise but it just seems like the fans are cheap. Is it worth swapping the fans? Will I lose the Corsair Link (which I haven't had an issue with thus far) functionality?

Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the info, 2San.

Anyone have experience with the Corsair H100i? The fans seem a bit loud and one of them is making a faint clicking noise. I knew there was going to be some noise but it just seems like the fans are cheap. Is it worth swapping the fans? Will I lose the Corsair Link (which I haven't had an issue with thus far) functionality?

Thanks.
Those fans are high quality.

Are you certain the clicking noise isn't the pump?

HoosTrax

guys I dont know if can we talk laptops in this thread but I'm willing to buy new laptop.

I found Lenovo's IdeaPad Y500 SLI as a model and liked it. What do you think about it? Or can you prefer another laptop model with same money range? I can't spend a lot because of next-gen consoles launch.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATANUT4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

here is the link.
For what purpose? Gaming? I don't think anyone here would recommend a laptop for gaming. SLI of those two GPUs is going to be substantially worse than a $300 desktop GPU...

Rest of the specs are nothing special either. 5400RPM hard drive is going to feel horrifically slow compared to an SSD, or a decent 7200RPM hard drive.

A comparable desktop would be substantially cheaper. Alternatively, the same amount of money would get you a much better appointed desktop. So are you actually considering that laptop for mobility reasons (which is valid, but if you just want something for gaming and mobility is not the main concern, then not so much)?

Addnan

guys I dont know if can we talk laptops in this thread but I'm willing to buy new laptop.

I found Lenovo's IdeaPad Y500 SLI as a model and liked it. What do you think about it? Or can you prefer another laptop model with same money range? I can't spend a lot because of next-gen consoles launch.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATANUT4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

here is the link.

Don't know much about laptops, if you don't get an answer in here you might have better luck in the laptop thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504567&page=28

Quirah

For what purpose? Gaming? I don't think anyone here would recommend a laptop for gaming. SLI of those two GPUs is going to be substantially worse than a $300 desktop GPU...

Rest of the specs are nothing special either. 5400RPM hard drive is going to feel horrifically slow compared to an SSD, or a decent 7200RPM hard drive.

Yes I know every desktops are better than laptops but I can't buy new desktop. I will move to the dormitory for the school season.

Edit: @Addnan, thanks I didn't see that thread.

HoosTrax

Yes I know every desktops are better than laptops but I can't buy new desktop. I will move to the dormitory for the school season.

Edit: @Addnan, thanks I didn't see that thread.
I see. Well, personally, if I were in the same boat, I'd would see about getting an SSD as the internal drive and getting a cheap external spindle drive for storage.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is nVidia Shadowplay available? I have other ways of recording through hardware but wanted to quickly check it out for a video I need to do.

So, I was deciding between these monitors. I currently game on my HDTV (cheap 42" Vizio--blacks suck, other colors are nice, the minor ghosting is a bit annoying when I notice it, 5ms claimed response time), but was thinking I'd like to move back to the better image quality of a monitor.

LG 27EA63V-P Black 27"
ASUS MX279H Silver / Black 27"
LG 27EA33V Black 27" - This looks like it's the older model of the other LG?

Why I chose the above 3 monitors:
-IPS for pretty colors and image quality. Even if the colors are "fake," I still loved the difference in color going from my old 23" monitor to my HDTV.
-The blacks on my HDTV suck. Having those improved would be nice.
-I don't think I want to spend the money to drive 1440p at 60fps, so I went with 1080p.
-5ms response time, the lowest I could find on IPS monitors.
-27" I really want this size of a monitor. Some say 1080p degrades a bit at 27"+, but I play on a 42" TV... so it'll be a huge improvement in pixel density to me.

Driving a 120/144Hz monitor seems much less daunting than driving 1440p. So, I'm also considering this. The 27" options are poor though.

ASUS VG278HE Black 27" - is 3770k & 7950 (OC'd to 1125/1500) enough to drive most stuff at high enough FPS to benefit? I was hitting the 90s in Witcher 2 for example.

Does the above monitor have any significant draw-backs over the 24" model that's recommended in this thread? Other than the +1ms of response time?

Any caveats or advice would be appreciated. My posts always get way too long...

Paskil

Took the dive and will be ordering all my parts on Friday. Still seeing if I need to buy a copy of Windows (would obviously prefer not to). I might have to see help putting it together as well since the last two PC's I built were really sloppy, mostly due to me having massive hands (think heavyweight boxer sized, 6'5" height). This thread was an inspiration and even though I mainly only read and used the OP, I'm sure many here gave input and additional information that I used to choose my parts.

This should be close to my final build. I will probably get the CPU (and maybe more) at Microcenter when I travel down to Chicago this weekend for a concert. Still considering SLI, and why not at the price of the single card.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVN6

Thanks again everyone. I'll post a pic or something after I get everything up and running in the next few weeks.

EDIT: I bought a 256GB SSD during Black Friday last year, that is a glaring omission. I plan on putting my OS and all of my games on there.

Addnan

Took the dive and will be ordering all my parts on Friday. Still seeing if I need to buy a copy of Windows (would obviously prefer not to). I might have to see help putting it together as well since the last two PC's I built were really sloppy, mostly due to me having massive hands (think heavyweight boxer sized, 6'5" height). This thread was an inspiration and even though I mainly only read and used the OP, I'm sure many here gave input and additional information that I used to choose my parts.

This should be close to my final build. I will probably get the CPU (and maybe more) at Microcenter when I travel down to Chicago this weekend for a concert. Still considering SLI, and why not at the price of the single card.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1cVN6

Thanks again everyone. I'll post a pic or something after I get everything up and running in the next few weeks.

EDIT: I bought a 256GB SSD during Black Friday last year, that is a glaring omission. I plan on putting my OS and all of my games on there.
Since you haven't ordered it yet, change the motherboard to something in the OP. MSI Z77A-G45, ASUS P8Z77-V LK or the MSI GD55

Hey guys, I don't have much of clue when it comes to PC specs but I'm looking into replacing my ancient PC and getting a new one.
The one I'm looking at has these specs, what do you guys think of it?

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300 4.0 GHz
16GB DDR3
ATi HD 7750 graphics card with 1GB DDR3 dedicated memory
1TB Sata Hard drive
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard

This all comes to around £500

Thanks a lot PC Gaf!

Quake1028

Pretty excited, just ordered a CM Storm Recon for home gaming use. Going to bring my trusty MX 518 into work and baby it here. Will be here Saturday.

Addnan

Hey guys, I don't have much of clue when it comes to PC specs but I'm looking into replacing my ancient PC and getting a new one.

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300 4.0 GHz
16GB DDR3
1TB Sata Hard drive

Thanks a lot PC Gaf!
Are you going to build?

So, I'm currently rocking the following specs (hope these are specific enough?):

i5 2500k
Geforce GTX 560 ti
8 gbs RAM

Just got a new monitor, 2560x1440, 27 inches-- any suggestions for a graphics card that'll do a better job powering games in that resolution than the one I currently have? It's not bad, but I find myself having to bump things down to medium/medium-low in demanding or poorly-optimized games. I don't necessarily need to have MAX ULTRA SETTINGS, but consistently riding on the "high" settings for recent games (like, say, the Witcher 2) would be pretty nice.

mug

So, I'm currently rocking the following specs (hope these are specific enough?):

i5 2500k
Geforce GTX 560 ti
8 gbs RAM

Just got a new monitor, 2560x1440, 27 inches-- any suggestions for a graphics card that'll do a better job powering games in that resolution than the one I currently have? It's not bad, but I find myself having to bump things down to medium/medium-low in demanding or poorly-optimized games. I don't necessarily need to have MAX ULTRA SETTINGS, but consistently riding on the "high" settings for recent games (like, say, the Witcher 2) would be pretty nice.
I'd recommend at least a 670 if you don't mind sub ultra. You can also look into getting another 560ti and give SLI a go.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300 4.0 GHz
16GB DDR3
1TB Sata Hard drive

Thanks a lot PC Gaf!

What do you plan to do with it? I don't know how expensive parts are over there in pounds, but it sounds like you may be able to get a better deal. The GPU is not very capable.

The amount of RAM for such a system is absolute overkill. You don't need 16 gigs. 4-8 is fine at that spec.

kharma45

It is already custom built. I have no faith that I would be able to build it myself.

Have faith, it's not hard and (mainly) quite fun. Please don't spend £500 on that PC.

i5 2500k
Geforce GTX 560 ti
8 gbs RAM

Depends on what you can spend. 780 is nice if you can afford it, 7970 if you can't.

What do you plan to do with it? I don't know how expensive parts are over there in pounds, but it sounds like you may be able to get a better deal. The GPU is not very capable.

The amount of RAM for such a system is absolute overkill. You don't need 16 gigs. 4-8 is fine at that spec.

Have faith, it's not hard and (mainly) quite fun. Please don't spend £500 on that PC.

Depends on what you can spend. 780 is nice if you can afford it, 7970 if you can't.

Thanks for the advice guys, il keep looking and investigate building my own.

Mr. Hyde

Would an 8gb and a 4gb stick of ram give me proper dual channel? I have an 8gb stick that came with my computer and I don't feel like spending almost $70.00 bucks for another 8gb stick, so I want to go with just a 4 gig for $35.00 of the same type.

kennah

Would an 8gb and a 4gb stick of ram give me proper dual channel? I have an 8gb stick that came with my computer and I don't feel like spending almost $70.00 bucks for another 8gb stick, so I want to go with just a 4 gig for $35.00 of the same type.
No. They need to match

kharma45

Thanks for the advice guys, il keep looking and investigate building my own.

Something like this could be an idea for a starting point of where to go for a self build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£138.69 @ Dabs)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX PLUS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£46.31 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£41.45 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card (£131.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £507.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 22:25 BST+0100)

Something like this could be an idea for a starting point of where to go for a self build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£138.69 @ Dabs)
Motherboard: Asus P8B75-M LX PLUS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£46.31 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£41.45 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card (£131.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £507.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 22:25 BST+0100)

Excellent, thank you very much.

Soodanim

I just installed one. What would you like to know?

Yeah, IIRC that's the only one available. 4GB might be overkill right now, but for $35 more, it's a no brainer. I just wish I could have found one superclocked and with better cooling.

Sorry gentlemen, I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK. But at least I know one is out now, so thank you. My Googling didn't give me anything, not even reviews. I wondered if it was going to be a delayed product, coming at some unspecified time in the future. It seems to be that way in the UK, at least.

First PC build here.

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Steel / Plastic compact ATX Mid Tower Case

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Heat sink and fan:COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

Thermal paste: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM

Graphics card: GTX 760 2GB GDDR5

RAM: 8 GB Crucial Ballistix (2 cards, 4 GB each)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P

Mothrboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

All for a little under $1000.

vilmer_

Gaf, I just put together my new PC and it won't post. The fans spin up for a couple of seconds then stop. If I leave the power supply on in the back, it will continually attempt to do this. Any idea what's causing it?

Edit for video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeFTI770nZs&feature=youtu.be

I had this problem before a few years ago and in my case it came down to improper RAM timings. It was an Asus board though and with the MemOK button was an easy fix. I'm not sure if MSI has a similar function. Are those Crucial sticks? P67 board?

tauke

Any recommendations for SSD other than Samsung model?

Looks like there is no Samsung SSDs at my local shop so I'm looking for second opinion before I pickup one. My budget is around USD $120.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I just built my computer but I have a problem. I'm getting no picture out, and when I turn on my computer it will stay on for about 20 seconds, shut off for a few seconds, then turn back on and stay on. Any ideas?

Anyone have experience with BitFenix Prodigy? Does it run hot? Should I get extra fans? I am interested in making a build. Any help is appreciated.

Giggzy

Just bought a Fractal Define R4 with window(love seeing the inside of my comp). It's so sexy. Coming from a poor Rosewill Challenger.

Is there any point upgrading to Haswell from an i7 950? I'm running SLI GTX670s which seem to handle most things pretty well. It's been almost three years since I built a PC and I have the money for it, should I go for it or just hold off?

Windows 7 64bit
AMD FX6300 4.0 GHz
16GB DDR3
1TB Sata Hard drive

Thanks a lot PC Gaf!

Build it yourself. 7750 with DDR3 is like having a 6570, DDR3 bottlenecks a lot GCN based gpu's.

FX-6300/6350
AM3+ 970 Mobo (Gigabyte/AsRock/Asus)
2x4GB DDR3 1600
HD7790 1GB GDDR5
1TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom