• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok gaf, yesterday I sat down with a friend to build me a new pc. I'd like to run everything past you guys to see if this a good rig.

What I want/expect: to be set for a couple of years (my pc now dates back to 09). I chose €1000 as my cost limit. I want a really good rig, without going crazy. First priority is to have a kickass pc when DkS II hits :) We lost most time comparing gr. cards, but the one chosen should be good, and cheaper than the comparable Nvidia version.

The parts, with appr. cost

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R (€55)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series 600W (GS600) (€83)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB (For OS, €125)
HDD: Western Digital 2TB (3.5" - IntelliPower - 64MB - WD20EZRX) (general storage, €58)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 (€200)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87M-PLUS (€115)
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance LP (1600MHz - 2x8GB - CL10) (€140, surprised by the price)
Video card: Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP (€315)

Any feedback on this list is greatly appreciated. If there are comparable items that'd be better, or more price-effective, please comment. Estimate of this machine now is €1.115.

kennah

All AMD stuff is crazy inflated right now because of the bitcoin/litecoin/etccoin mining craze. Gonna be a few months at least before prices get better again.

MSI announced the price for their after market 290/ 290x.

http://www.overclockers.ru/hardnews...R9_290_serii_Gaming_dostupny_dlya_zakaza.html

If this is true, then the 290 is gonna cost $500+ ?

That a load of bull!

I found one on NCIX.com

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=92891&vpn=R9 290 GAMING 4G&manufacture=MSI

$529? I was looking to spending $450 max on these. I hope this is just some pricing error.

Prices are inflated due to Litecoin mining. Buying AMD cards right now is impractical, unfortunately.

All AMD stuff is crazy inflated right now because of the bitcoin/litecoin/etccoin mining craze. Gonna be a few months at least before prices get better again.

I didn't think retailers would hike the price. Usually see that on Ebay.

EDIT: Man, guess it's time to jump back to the Nvidia bandwagon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok gaf, yesterday I sat down with a friend to build me a new pc. He's way more into it than I am, so I'm trusting him to do a good job. However, I'd like to run everything past you guys to see if this a good rig.

What I want/expect: to be set for a couple of years (my pc now dates back to 09). I chose €1000 as my cost limit. I want a really good rig, without going crazy. First priority is to have a kickass pc when DkS II hits :) We lost most time comparing gr. cards, but the one chosen should be good, and cheaper than the comparable Nvidia version.

The parts, with appr. cost

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R (€55)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming Series 600W (GS600) (€83)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB (For OS, €125)
HDD: Western Digital 2TB (3.5" - IntelliPower - 64MB - WD20EZRX) (general storage, €58)
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 (€200)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87M-PLUS (€115)
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Vengeance LP (1600MHz - 2x8GB - CL10) (€140, surprised by the price)
Video card: Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP (€315)

Any feedback on this list is greatly appreciated. If there are comparable items that'd be better, or more price-effective, please comment. Estimate of this machine now is €1.115.

Not sure exactly how prices are where you are, but that sounds high for a 280X. Can you not get a GTX 770 for less?

I'd think you could go cheaper on the RAM too. Do you really need 16GB?

CRS

It's economics.

Demand > supply therefore prices are going up.

Side note: Finally got the rest of my water cooling rig (tubing, valve) so I will start building later today or tomorrow. Can't wait!

mkenyon

Banned
Around six months late, but I finally got around to ordering the parts for an upgrade of sorts:

• 4770K - I do software development, and some media encoding, otherwise I don't think this would be a worthwhile upgrade over a 2500k.
  • ASUS Maximus Impact ITX - Going to be interesting to see how well the audio daughterboard on this stacks up to the Xonar Essence. I find normal onboard audio solutions to be too noisy.
  • Bitfenix Prodigy Black - The general consensus on this case is that it's large for an ITX - I'm willing to make that tradeoff in exchange for its versatility / flexibility / ability to accept any length video card and ample cooling. I hate small & whiny fans on a machine that I'll be using as a workstation next to my desk, and this case will let me load up on big & slow fans. There are obviously mATX cases that are the same size, but any that offer equivalent flexibility (basically the Xigmatek Aquila and Aerocool DS-Cube) are as large as ATX cases themselves, or cost $200.
  • Bitfenix Prodigy Side Window - The black version of the Prodigy is unique in that it has a mesh front panel instead of a solid one. Case has good cooling options anyways, so swapping out the mesh side panel for this probably won't affect it too badly in the cooling department.
  • Corsair H80i - I've not used a premade closed-loop before, but I don't have any air coolers that can fit this case and board combo due to the daughterboards on the Impact, and I don't have a lot of the parts I would need to make a custom loop for this system.
  • Bitfenix Spectre Pro Black - I guess this is the only 230mm fan made specifically for the Prodigy's front fan mount...
  • Corsair cases fans - The "quiet" / "airflow" type, for the two top exhaust ports

Re-used parts:
  • Corsair AX860
  • 7970 GE
  • G.Skill DDR3
  • Crucial SSD

Hopefully this stuff arrives this week :)

Undecided:
OS - I have MSDN, so cost doesn't factor in, but haven't really decided yet whether to stick with Windows 7 or give 8.1 a chance.
The AX860 is going to fit very very snugly in there. I had to put the case on its face and smash the bracket down in order to get the screws in properly.

Also, those 230mm fans are crazy loud. If it's not too late, I'd suggesting dropping it and going for two 120mm fans in the front. Something like the Corsair AF120 Quiet.

Going to be one badass system though.
I don't see them doing this with ps4/xbox ones. Maybe the bundles but I haven't seen the individual consoles hike up.

Same with ipads.
I'd imagine they have specific contracts with retailers to maintain that MSRP.

Lots of consumer products don't do that though, autos, for example.

Question from a couple pages ago, so I read more about Turbo boost, and yeah it looks like they only show max Hz of a single core. But Dolphin is still a dual core application and I should be getting 3.29 Ghz max when running it. Do background programs take up another core?

HoosTrax

Also, those 230mm fans are crazy loud. If it's not too late, I'd suggesting dropping it and going for two 120mm fans in the front. Something like the Corsair AF120 Quiet.
I think it's already shipped. If I can't slow them down enough to make them tolerably quiet, there's always the option of buying another pair of the Corsair fans from Microcenter.

How would you mount them though? Does it actually have holes for 2x120mm, or do you use plastic cable ties?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, there's two front mounts for 120mm fans. Slowing down the big one should be just fine. On some of the Spectre Pro 120s I had, they would have that odd clicking noise when I'd reduce voltage. I'm not sure if that carries over to the 230mm.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not sure exactly how prices are where you are, but that sounds high for a 280X. Can you not get a GTX 770 for less?

I'd think you could go cheaper on the RAM too. Do you really need 16GB?

I'd have to check. Would the GTX770 be a better buy? I think the Nvidia one is more quiet, which'd be a plus for me.

On RAM: yeah I could probably do with 8gb

Chocobro

So Newegg sent me a 15% off coupone code for all Samsung SSDs and other promos. I guess I should buy another Sammy 840 EVO 250GB SSD? Comes out to about $140.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to check. Would the GTX770 be a better buy? I think the Nvidia one is more quiet, which'd be a plus for me.

On RAM: yeah I could probably do with 8gb

Performance-wise they are similar, 770 might have a slight edge but it will depend on the game.

Like I said though, I don't know how prices are there, but AMD cards are currently overpriced in NA due to mining, and I'd be surprised if that didn't extend to other places too. €315 sounds a little high to me, and a quick search says that 770s should run less than €300. I don't know how consistent prices are through Europe though.

HoosTrax

I was so sad when Amazon started charging sales tax in VA a few months ago :(. They're not really competitive anymore in a lot of things, like computer parts.

I was so sad when Amazon started charging sales tax in VA a few months ago :(. They're not really competitive anymore in a lot of things, like computer parts.
Yeah, I'm going to get screwed when Florida starts making online vendors charge sales tax next year. It's going to make upgrade budgeting a pain in the ass.

CRS

8.875% here in NY. Glad Newegg doesn't charge tax. Amazon on the other hand...

Newegg doesn't charge you? What the hell?

They charged me for my graphics card. :(

NY had it rough with Amazon first though right? Then came California and I appreciated Amazon trying to loophole through the taxes.

My 15% from Quebec laugh at you all!

But when buying online, most of shops will only charge federal taxes but not provincial taxes.

It's actually quite complicated to charge taxes for every province and you are not required by the law to do if you don't have a physical location there or something like that.

We've implemented taxes for all provinces where i work, it was actually painfully complicated.

Dr Dogg

Nvidia G-Sync monitor up for pre-order, price is £441.41 Inc VAT for a 3XS Modified Asus 24" VG248QE with NVIDIA G-SYNC Kit fitted.

Yeah just caught that myself. An extra £140-£150, ouch. Though that maybe owing to the Scan exclusivity.

I'm more inclined to sit on my hands until IPS or WQHD units are in the works. Though I got the feeling it might be a long, long wait.

Edit. Swedish and Norwegian retailers prices.

My I7 4770K came in today so that means I can finally build my rig this weekend. Any tips/warnings for a 1st timer? Please be gentle.

CPU: I7 4770K
CPU Cooler: Hyper Evo 212
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
Graphics Card: Powercolor 7850
PSU: Seasonic 650W 80plus Gold
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
Optical Drive: LG DVD/CD
Sound card: Asus DGX

CRS

My I7 4770K came in today so that means I can finally build my rig this weekend. Any tips/warnings for a 1st timer? Please be gentle.

Just make sure you're always grounded.

When screwing in something like the CPU cooler, slightly screw each screw in so they're not loose, then in an "X" fashion, tighten them up.

Get an ice cube tray so you're organized and don't lose anything small like a nut/screw/etc.

Take your time and don't get frustrated if you have trouble with something. That frustration will end up in you trying to force something and eventually break.

mkenyon

Banned

There's a number of videos in the OP, definitely check that. If you have questions during the process, just post here, and we'll help as best as we can!

Also, amazing build. That's such a quality foundation for something that'll last you a really long time. You'll really only need to touch the videocard over the next 5+ years.

Blarg. Guess I lost, couldn't even get a stable 4.2ghz with 1.15v core. Crashed prime in under 10 minutes. Guess I'll go right for 1.2v core and hope for the best. Such high hopes.

Hey guys, !st time builder here. Really need some advice on whether the compnents on my build are compatible or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
Here's what I have so far:
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB
SSD: Samsung 128 GB
Optical: ASUS Bluray Reader
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8 GB
Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750-M 750W
Case: Cooler Master HAF X( Really like the look of this case. Would be willing to budge for one that's more compatible)
MotherBoard: ASUS Z87-DELUXE LGA 1150 Intel Z87
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 770
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-Core Processor 1155
PC Part Picker List: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2luip
So I have 2 essential questions before I move forward guys:
1. Is there any part that I could improve on further for a build of $1400?
2. Are all of these pieces compatible with each other, or should i replace on of them for something else?

Thanks guys in advance for your help. I'm a first time builder and I'd really like your help.

Amagon

I know I ask for help on building a htpc. But I am also interested in having a media server to store all my movies/music in to share around my house. Any software/hardware or guides that someone can help me with, thanks.

Exuro

So I need some more help on this rig. For some reason I cannot get the drivers on my amd r9 270 to install. I went to the website to download the catalyst suite but when I installed it it didn't actually install. Pretty confused on what I should do. I also tried the autodetect feature on the website and it said that it couldn't detect the card or OS I'm using.

CRS

So I need some more help on this rig. For some reason I cannot get the drivers on my amd r9 270 to install. I went to the website to download the catalyst suite but when I installed it it didn't actually install. Pretty confused on what I should do. I also tried the autodetect feature on the website and it said that it couldn't detect the card or OS I'm using.
Update your motherboard's BIOS.

Just make sure you're always grounded.

When screwing in something like the CPU cooler, slightly screw each screw in so they're not loose, then in an "X" fashion, tighten them up.

Get an ice cube tray so you're organized and don't lose anything small like a nut/screw/etc.

Take your time and don't get frustrated if you have trouble with something. That frustration will end up in you trying to force something and eventually break.

There's a number of videos in the OP, definitely check that. If you have questions during the process, just post here, and we'll help as best as we can!

Thanks I'll be sure to watch the vids and the ice cube tray is a clever idea. I'd also like to thank you for the monitor suggestion in the thread you made mkenyon. I ended up getting an ASUS VG248QE for that future G-Sync goodness.

Also, amazing build. That's such a quality foundation for something that'll last you a really long time. You'll really only need to touch the videocard over the next 5+ years.

Thanks for this it's great to hear.I wasn't a GAF member when I started building but reading up on what you guys had to say was a tremendous asset. I have to thank Hazro for the list, also kharma45, CreepingFear and a few others I'm unfortunately forgetting, your guys's knowledge was invaluable in the creation of this build.

Have a good night's sleep and a decent meal before you begin. Just take your time. It's no competition or race. Read the manuals. If they don't give you the info you need there's always google as well as this thread. Don't panic if it doesn't turn on at first. There's usually a good explanation like a forgotten cable or the PSU switch not turned on. Have fun! You'll never forget your first build.

Man. I've gotta say that one thing I can't stand about Windows 8.1 is how DirectX 11 has taken a shit all over legacy DirectDraw support. If you try to play fullscreen older games or emulators that use DirectDraw in Windows 8.1, you'll get terrible performance and graphical glitches.

I was so fed up with the graphical glitches in Brood War on Windows 8.1 that I decided to just make an XP virtual machine for playing older games that have this problem.

This is a real shame that not enough people are talking about. Tons of old games are probably affected by this.

This is exactly what I'm worried about, and why I'm hesitant to upgrade to 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom