• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sooo power outage last night and silly me just remembered i left my surge protector back at college.

gpu is giving off a rattling sound now. Whats the basic steps for diagnosis of whats broke?

Guys my new build is working perfectly, thanks for all the advice! However...

I bought 32GB of 1600 RAM but it's running at 1333:

A) Does it actually make any noticeable difference?
B) How do I change the memory speed? I'm not OCing anything else.

Ultryx

Anyone want a CM Storm mouse for a low special GAF price (free?). If you don't need a mouse or can easily afford one, please don't respond. Hoping to help out a PC GAFFER who's currently on a tight budget! Send me your shipping address and I'll even pick up the shipping cost.

Good man.

mkenyon

Banned
The Microsoft tool to create a bootable flash drive isn't working. I think that's the issue. I downloaded another program to create Isos with, created another Iso and tried it and it still doesn't work. What the hell am I doing wrong.

Download the Win 7 ISO here: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

Fix the ISO to install the proper version that you have: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-t...ll-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/
gpu is giving off a rattling sound now. Whats the basic steps for diagnosis of whats broke?
Only thing that makes a sound really is the fan, so it has to be that.

Arkanius

Guys
If my graphics card has both DVI and HDMI ports, can I connect one DVI port to my monitor and one HDMI to my TV?

I want to buy a long cable to connect my PC to my bedroom TV, and then buy a Bluetooth controller and use Big Picture Mode in Steam to play my games. How can I switch inputs on the fly? Does the GPU output image at all times to both screens? Can I make games play Fullscreen in my TV and keep the Monitor showing the Desktop?

P.S I never used Dual Screen or Multimonitor setups, thats why I'm curious, and since it's two different outputs...(DVI and HDMI)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Guys
If my graphics card has both DVI and HDMI ports, can I connect one DVI port to my monitor and one HDMI to my TV?

I want to buy a long cable to connect my PC to my bedroom TV, and then buy a Bluetooth controller and use Big Picture Mode in Steam to play my games. How can I switch inputs on the fly? Does the GPU output image at all times to both screens? Can I make games play Fullscreen in my TV and keep the Monitor showing the Desktop?

P.S I never used Dual Screen or Multimonitor setups, thats why I'm curious, and since it's two different outputs...(DVI and HDMI)

This is my setup. DVI to monitor, HDMI to TV. The easiest way to switch is Windows+P. One annoying thing is audio. If you have your headset plugged into your computer and then switch the screen over to your computer, the audio gets confused and thinks you want both headphones and your TV audio (or receiver). You'll have to right click on playback sources and disable the headphones. I haven't found a good solution for this.

Arkanius

This is my setup. DVI to monitor, HDMI to TV. The easiest way to switch is Windows+P. One annoying thing is audio. If you have your headset plugged into your computer and then switch the screen over to your computer, the audio gets confused and thinks you want both headphones and your TV audio (or receiver). You'll have to right click on playback sources and disable the headphones. I haven't found a good solution for this.

In Windows 8.1 I have the option to Mirror/Expand/2nd output only.
Which one do you use?

If I have a game in fullscreen, can I select which screen it takes over?

Ok gaf. Everything is plugged in. Mobo and video card leds are on. Press power and nothing happens. What's the most likely scenario? I have triple checked all cable connections.

Thorgal

I am going to order a 780 ti with ACX cooler next week and i want to add a second one next year for SLI.

However .my 550 W is not going to cut it so i was thinking of buying a 850 W PSU for that .

The question is is what would be better : Buy said PSU now with the card to futureproof myself for the second one .

OR

Buy the new PSU when i buy the second card ?

BiggNife

Alright so I'm about the bite the bullet on my PC build but I got a quick question before I go through with it

If I'm reading this correctly, aren't this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157388

and this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157384

basically the same? The only differences I see is that the latter one only supports SATA 3.0 (which doesn't really matter because the HDD I was gonna buy was 3.0 anyway) and has 6 USB 2.0 and 6 USB 3.0 instead of 4 USB 3 and 8 USB 2 on the other mobo (doesn't really matter to me, though I don't expect to be using a lot of 3.0 devices)

Not really sure which one of the two to choose.

kharma45

I am going to order a 780 ti with ACX cooler next week and i want to add a second one next year for SLI.

However .my 550 W is not going to cut it so i was thinking of buying a 850 W PSU for that .

The question is is what would be better : Buy said PSU now with the card to futureproof myself for the second one .

OR

Buy the new PSU when i buy the second card ?

If you're going SLI get a reference card to exhaust heat.

I would buy the new PSU when you think about the new cars just in case you chance your mind.

The NZXT Sentry is a pretty good voltage based fan controller. Other options are fairly costly, like various Lamptron controllers. Basically, you want to look for 30W/channel with decent user reviews to cut down on DoA stuff. But with a single fan per channel, you're not really going to be stressing anything out.

I honestly dislike fan controllers. With quality fans in the 1000-1200RPM range, you're already looking at ambient noise levels.

Missed this response. I'm not normally a fan controller...fan as well and have never used one before, just may want a little more control over the fans I'm going to use and the MB I'm using only has 3 non cpu headers for them. May just rely on the built in 3 fan controller on the case itself for 2 of the fans, even if I think I'd like somewhere in between the 7 and 12v option it gives. Think if I do go with a fan controller, the Sentry Mesh looks nice and simple, just what I like aesthetically.

Would be easier to get a card reader if the arc mini r2 came with a 5.25 to 3.25 drive bay converter since I don't want to get something extra that just flat out doesn't match with the front already. Whatever, decisions decisions, rest of my parts will be here Tuesday so got time.

Thanks again for you helps.

Skidd

After almost a month of lurking, reading and figuring out what I want, I think I'm ready to ask for some assistance. All I might say is solely based on the OP, so pardon my ignorance.

I'm looking for an all-purpose PC. Light gaming, but mostly it's supposed to stay as a work computer (Primarly for something like Photoshop, maybe some 3D software)

It's just that right now I've found myself in a situation where I think I've found a pretty good build (when compared with the info in the OP). This is a build provided by a well known PC store in my country and (much like something like Digitalstorm) this is one of their own custom builds they're offering for what I think is a pretty reasonable price. I'll post the specs.

Processor: Intel i5-4670K 3.4GHz
Motherboard: Z87 (USB3.0, SATAIII)
Graphics: nVidia GTX 770, 2Gt GDDR5
RAM: 8Gt (2x4Gt) DDR3 1600MHz, CL9
Storage: 120Gt Sata3 SSD
Opt. drive: DVD+/-RW
Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550
(500W power supply)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64b

Price: €1159 (≈$1591) A little bit pricey for what I've had in mind, but I'm not on a budget per say.

Similar parts - PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2kQ91

Now the question is, how should I proceed? IF I were to buy this build from the store, I can still modify it to suit my needs, in which case I'd be shoving a 1TB HDD in there and additional RAM.

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I’m hoping maybe someone here can help me to decide on which gaming keyboard would be the best one for me to buy. I have been looking at buying the CM Storm QuickFire TK with CHERRY MX Red Switches, because it’s a Fully red LED backlit Mechanical Keyboard, has good reviews, and it will match my CM PC case (As well as the CM Storm Recon mouse that I’m also planning on buying). The only concern I have of this keyboard is that if I will be able to get used to the compact design. Mainly with the arrow keys combine within the number-pad block.

As for the other keyboard, I’ve recently came across the SteelSeries Apex Gaming Keyboard at Best Buy. The major selling point of this keyboard for me is the SteelSeries Engine software. I really like the idea that it will let me change any key to be a different keystroke (which mean I shouldn’t have to deal with ahk scripts as much), and the ability to customize the colors of the backlit LEDs. However my biggest concern with the keyboard is that it is advertise to support anti-ghosting for only 20 keys.

If I’m to understand it correctly, besides the 20 keys mention above, will all the other keys on the keyboard not have anti-ghosting? If so, that will be a big problem for me since that I’m a left handed gamer, so most of the keys I commonly used are on the right side of the keyboard.

So I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with any of the two keyboards (or their manufacturers) mention above, which maybe can help me make my mind up on which keyboard to get. :)

Sorry for bumping my post from yesterday, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the SteelSeries Apex keyboard, but I don't quite understand the major different between a mechanical keyboard and non-mechanical keyboard for gaming. (I don't believe I have ever used a mechanical keyboard before.) Also I'm still concern that the rest of the keys on the Apex keyboard may have a ghosting effect.

tr4656

Sorry for bumping my post from yesterday, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the SteelSeries Apex keyboard, but I don't quite understand the major different between a mechanical keyboard and non-mechanical keyboard for gaming. (I don't believe I have ever used a mechanical keyboard before.) Also I'm still concern that the rest of the keys on the Apex keyboard may have a ghosting effect.

I would really recommend the mechanical keyboard. Mechanical keyboards have NKRO and also feel significantly better than rubber dome keyboards. The TK is built decently (although its not QuickFire Rapid) and isn't even that compact. Its the same as any normal keyboard since its not an TKL board.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
In Windows 8.1 I have the option to Mirror/Expand/2nd output only.
Which one do you use?

If I have a game in fullscreen, can I select which screen it takes over?

When I just want to play on the big screen I switch the screen over completely.

Sometimes my son wants to watch a movie and I need to work so I extend the output over the two screens, works great (the expand option).

Picked up a couple more things for my build, got a Steel Series Xai (Diablo 3 version) and a Steel Series Merc Stealth keyboard. Now I'm looking for a headset and I'm done.

mkenyon

Banned
i have this board

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128425

gonna probably get a new one soon

but im ordering

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUI44US/?tag=neogaf0e-20

this next week!

should have no problems with that card and that board right?
Nope. But to get 8.3ms frametimes in a number of games, you'll want to make sure your processor is clocked as high as it can go.
Motherboard had a power switch to and it won't work. No response. And the power cables were the first thing I checked.
Take a pic of the inside of your case for us?

Arkanius

When I just want to play on the big screen I switch the screen over completely.

Sometimes my son wants to watch a movie and I need to work so I extend the output over the two screens, works great (the expand option).

Great, just what I needed.
Will do this along with my GPU upgrade.

And... Steam Machine built!

kharma45

NoRéN;93761437 said:
Any tips to overclock a MSI 7850 Twin Frozr?

See how far you can get on stock voltage before tweaking it, hopefully you can get up to 1000-1050MHz. For beyond that you'll need to tweak at the voltages. Don't go past 1.25v and don't go over 1.2v if you can avoid it. For the cards that can hit ~1200MHz around 1.2v is generally sufficient. Not all cards will hit that clock speed, I've had three 7850s and this one can't OC at all, luck of the draw really.

As for the memory you should be able to get it somewhere between 5400MHz and 5800MHz.

Some people have managed to get 1350MHz core stable but it needs a BIOS flash to get up to 1.3v and you need better cooling that what MSI provide.

You can use the GPU tool here for OCing, I used Trixx myself http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21623164&postcount=11

Am I missing something? Everything plugs into my seasonic 660w platinum Power supply just fine EXCEPT for the atx cable, I just can't get it onto the actual power supply.

It's like a square peg into a round hole

Am I missing something? Everything plugs into my seasonic 660w platinum Power supply just fine EXCEPT for the atx cable, I just can't get it onto the actual power supply.

It's like a square peg into a round hole

Just got the same psu and had the same problem. Well I was able to get it in, but it was the only one that was a little hard to do so with. Had to like ease one of the long sides in just a little bit then push the rest in. It's like pressure was making the socket thinner then it should be, or the plug fatter.

someone recommend me a laptop gaming mouse for under $150 (including tax)

3AQmK.gif

I know many people swear by razer's stuff, but I wonder if PC gaf has a preference.

Irobot82

See how far you can get on stock voltage before tweaking it, hopefully you can get up to 1000-1050MHz. For beyond that you'll need to tweak at the voltages. Don't go past 1.25v and don't go over 1.2v if you can avoid it. For the cards that can hit ~1200MHz around 1.2v is generally sufficient. Not all cards will hit that clock speed, I've had three 7850s and this one can't OC at all, luck of the draw really.

As for the memory you should be able to get it somewhere between 5400MHz and 5800MHz.

Some people have managed to get 1350MHz core stable but it needs a BIOS flash to get up to 1.3v and you need better cooling that what MSI provide.

You can use the GPU tool here for OCing, I used Trixx myself http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21623164&postcount=11

Is there a multiplier for the Memory Clock? My 7950 I have OC'd at Core 1125 and Memory 1450. That's nothing close to 5400.

NoRéN

Thanks. I'll try it out tonight.

Momentary

Banned
Is there a website that preview Computer Cases? Something tells me the Cosmos II is going to get replaced this year. I finally got to see it in person at a TigerDirect store in Raleigh and was pretty impressed by it. But I'm not building until Maxwell hits. So if CoolerMaster has something to sway me away from the 900D I'd like to see it.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there a website that preview Computer Cases? Something tells me the Cosmos II is going to get replaced this year. I finally got to see it in person at a TigerDirect store in Raleigh and was pretty impressed by it. But I'm not building until Maxwell hits. So if CoolerMaster has something to sway me away from the 900D I'd like to see it.
They do not. The HAF Stacker is going to be the only chassis released in that kind of category.

You should look at the Phanteks Enthoo Primo though.

Check it.

dmag1223

Yeah, so my computer bluescreened tonight, saying it was a memory management issue. When I try to power the system on, the power lights up,and the fans start to run but I don't get any video signal or hard drive activity. I'm guessing (praying) this just a RAM issue? should that be the 1st thing I test?

Edit: So i tested the RAM, and it looks like one of the slots on the mobo isn't functioning anymore, which makes me extremely nervous using my computer now. I'm not pulling anymore than 1.55 Volts for each stick, and the computer is only about 6 months old. Should I contact Asus about this?

Good news GAF!

Posting from the new computer!

I'm an idiot and plugged in the wrong 8 pin into the motherboard ;_;

Anyway, I have installed all of my drivers and am updating stuff now. Yay!

edit: 780 is FREAKING HUGE.

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, so my computer bluescreened tonight, saying it was a memory management issue. When I try to power the system on, the power lights up,and the fans start to run but I don't get any video signal or hard drive activity. I'm guessing (praying) this just a RAM issue? should that be the 1st thing I test?

Edit: So i tested the RAM, and it looks like one of the slots on the mobo isn't functioning anymore, which makes me extremely nervous using my computer now. I'm not pulling anymore than 1.55 Volts for each stick, and the computer is only about 6 months old. Should I contact Asus about this?

What model motherboard?
I am just wondering because I have had ASUS boards do that also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom