• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
See thread title.

fwiw I don't think the 770 is really worth it over a 760. It's only maybe 10-15% better on average. I'd take it or if you want something with a bit more grunt there is the AMD 280X http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...dr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-2048-streams-hd

760 is £192 http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-g...4_1389020784_3f9b020889e2765bdf21deca77fa71a8

That 280X is £230, and out of the 770s I'd get one of the Gigabyte ones http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...gddr5-gpu-1137mhz-boost-1189mhz-cores-1536-dp or http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...gddr5-gpu-1046mhz-boost-1085mhz-cores-1536-dp

I did look at the 760 but on card comparison sides it said the it would only get 40fps compared to the 770 that was getting 60+, I'm pretty sure that was BF4 with everything maxed.

As for the AMD card, I've only had one experience with AMD and it wasn't a very good one.

Copons

raisesglass.gif

Installing SSD was the single most-obvious improvement I made in my PC since...well, forever.
SSDs are worth every penny.

(quoting you just for convenience)

I'm right now at the biggest - and hopefully last - decision for my build: I have to choose if putting roughly 50€ on an SSD or for picking a 760 instead of a 660.

Reading everywhere, it seems I should go for the SSD+660.
But I'm thinking that adding an SSD later should be easier and cheaper than replacing the GPU.

And no: I can't have both, if I still want to provide food for my cat. :D

hoserx

I'm right now at the biggest - and hopefully last - decision for my build: I have to choose if putting roughly 50€ on an SSD or for picking a 760 instead of a 660.

But I'm thinking that adding an SSD later should be easier and cheaper than replacing the GPU.

You're right here. Spend the money now on the better gpu.

Tschis

Hi guys!

I've been trying to play Dead Island on my computer and my experience hasn't been really optimal.

I have a Phenom II X4 955BE and a 5770 with 4GB DDR. Mobo is ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3

I've looked for videos on youtube and people record with fraps in better FPS than mine, so I was wondering what could be the bottleneck.

I suspected it is the CPU since a couple friends have a 5770 and no problem running the game. I thought about upgrading my processor but I don't know which one to go to.

I was also thinking about getting an upgrade for the whole system (gradually upgrading parts), so I would like to find a really solid processor that I could use for the next years.

I don't know if this is the kind of post this thread is all about, if it isn't, sorry! =P

//tx

Edit.: I have actually a 7770 1GB

I expect to be able to play 2015 games (Star Citizen?) with reasonable quality with this new build.

I was aiming for 8GB DDR3 and an SSD for boot and gaming with another HD for storage.

I thought about the FX-8350 processor, but since I'm changing motherboard I could actually go for an Intel too, if it was for the best.

I've always used AMD CPU/GPU, so I don't know a lot about Intel parts.

Is the 8350 good enough? What would be a good GPU to pair with it?

//tx

kharma45

I did look at the 760 but on card comparison sides it said the it would only get 40fps compared to the 770 that was getting 60+, I'm pretty sure that was BF4 with everything maxed.

As for the AMD card, I've only had one experience with AMD and it wasn't a very good one.

I had a quick look and at that level the 760 is getting 40 and the 770 is getting 50 fps. If Battlefield is important you'll get better results with AMD, and that's before the Mantle update.

If you prefer to stick with Nvidia that's fine. The 280X does offer better bang for your pound and driver stability is the same as Nvidia now. You do get some niceties with Nvidia though that you don't get with AMD like G-Sync, native down-sampling and Shadow Play.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Rebates are always good. PSU has actually been the hardest part for me in this build so far.

either the antec or the Roswill are good. Would lean to the antec if price wasn't an issue.

Thanks! What benchmarks can you recommend?

I like the Heaven one.

That 760 isn't great being a reference cooler. I'd also save another €20 and get a decent sized SSD http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/

I expect to be able to play 2015 games (Star Citizen?) with reasonable quality with this new build.

I was aiming for 8GB DDR3 and an SSD for boot and gaming with another HD for storage.

I thought about the FX-8350 processor, but since I'm changing motherboard I could actually go for an Intel too, if it was for the best.

//tx

Go Intel, much better all around. 4670K plus a Z87 motherboard like the Biostar Z87W, Biostar Z87X, Gigabyte D3H or Gigabyte UD3H is a nice sweet spot.

GPU wise I'd look to the 760 and 280X as GPU sweet spots.

tr4656

//tx
Still would go for Intel, ideally something like a 4670k and a 760 or 280.

kennah

You would have to reinstall Windows when you put the SSD in. So while it would be cheaper, it wouldn't be easier.

That said go for the 760. It should last a lot longer than a 660.

Just installed my SSD yesterday (man I need a case with cable cutouts and a modular PSU because its like a jungle down there).

However I did not find the Disk Defragmenter, is it located somewhere different in Windows 8.1 ?

I am thinking about replacing my Alpenföhn Brocken air cooler... I am not that happy with it anymore, getting relatively high temps on 3770k even after reapplying the paste.

Looking at the AnandTech benches, the Noctua NH 12 or 14 look nice. Any other recommendations? Performance is more important than noise for me.

Edit: Also wondering if the 14 would actually fit into my Fractal R2...

Has anyone been able to max witcher 2 @ 1440p/60fps.

Im running a 2500k and dual 7950s and im getting between 40 and 50 fps.

Copons

You would have to reinstall Windows when you put the SSD in. So while it would be cheaper, it wouldn't be easier.

That said go for the 760. It should last a lot longer than a 660.

Well, I'm not scared of formatting and reinstalling everything. I did that stuff thousands of times in my life, and everytime I felt like... refreshed by the... virginity of my fresh systems. :D

That 760 isn't great being a reference cooler. I'd also save another €20 and get a decent sized SSD http://www.amazon.it/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/

That 760 is the cheapest in that store (and every Italian store I checked), I read a some fair reviews of that and the brand should be fine.

Here are the other 760 on eKey.it: http://www.e-key.it/catalog.aspx?search=gtx+760 (search sucks indeed)
I could go with the cheapest EVGA, that's around 10€ more, but after all this time spent thinking thinking thinking I'm completely spoiled and I don't really know what to do, except just going with the cheapest. :D

Garou

Just installed my SSD yesterday (man I need a case with cable cutouts and a modular PSU because its like a jungle down there).

However I did not find the Disk Defragmenter, is it located somewhere different in Windows 8.1 ?

Just make sure you don't defrag the SSD!

Just type defrag at the Start screen and it should appear.

Am I doing it right ?

LH4tWgW.jpg

Niks

Ok, following some suggestions heres the updated list. (included SSD, win 8, changed cooler and PSU)
Quite happy with this build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($83.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech M560 Wireless Laser Mouse ($31.99 @ B&H)

Total: $1500.85

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 11:47 EST-0500)

Ok, following some suggestions heres the updated list. (included SSD, win 8, changed cooler and PSU)
Quite happy with this build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($83.02 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($266.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech M560 Wireless Laser Mouse ($31.99 @ B&H)

Total: $1500.85

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-06 11:47 EST-0500)

If you have some money left, get a real keyboard.

mkenyon

Banned
To everyone recommending to not get an SSD.

STOP IT.

Literally every single thing in the computer is faster. Boot times are irrelevant. Virus scans are instant. Programs open as soon as they are clicked. Finding files is faster.

Every.

Single.

Thing.

Is

Faster.

It is the easiest upgrade you can do for speed on a computer. You could even refresh old shirty computers with it.

Does it have much impact on games? No not much.

But your entire operating system experience will be improved.
Posting for new page. $150-170 for a 250-256GB SSD. That's all you need. Fuck mechanical.

When did the price of ram go up? I'm looking at my invoice for my current machine from just over 2 1/2 years ago and 8gb of ram cost me £30. Now the same ram is £65, was there a RAM shortage?

I had a quick look and at that level the 760 is getting 40 and the 770 is getting 50 fps. If Battlefield is important you'll get better results with AMD, and that's before the Mantle update.

If you prefer to stick with Nvidia that's fine. The 280X does offer better bang for your pound and driver stability is the same as Nvidia now. You do get some niceties with Nvidia though that you don't get with AMD like G-Sync, native down-sampling and Shadow Play.

I'll have a look at AMD tonight and hold off ordering my stuff for a few more days. Thanks for all your help.

mkenyon

Banned
Got any suggestions for a wireless one?
K750 has nice scissor switches. Is this for an HTPC/Comfy Couch board?
When did the price of ram go up? I'm looking at my invoice for my current machine from just over 2 1/2 years ago and 8gb of ram cost me £30. Now the same ram is £65, was there a RAM shortage?
RAM reaches it's lowest price somewhere between the middle and end of its life cycle. As the new generation approaches (and flash memory production goes down for the current one), prices start to go back up. We are in the upswing right now. It'll continue to go up from here on out pretty much.

James93

Any opinions on the Qnix QX2710, i was looking at upgrading to 1400p, and these seem to be a great bang for buck.
O and if anyone has a 7970 running at 1440p how does it preform.

Boogybro

I'm putting together a wishlist for my first computer.

Can someone explain to me in some detail the differences between an i5 and i7? I hear the i7 is better for stuff other than gaming like video editing and whatnot (which I do enjoy), but how big is the increase in performance? I don't wanna spend too much more than I have to if the increase isn't worth it.

K750 has nice scissor switches. Is this for an HTPC/Comfy Couch board?

RAM reaches it's lowest price somewhere between the middle and end of its life cycle. As the new generation approaches (and flash memory production goes down for the current one), prices start to go back up. We are in the upswing right now. It'll continue to go up from here on out pretty much.

So if I want more RAM it's best to buy it now or should I wait for the new generation?

theRizzle

I have a BenQ XL2420T and I never really notice how good it is (especially for a TN panel) until I use someone else's PC and then get back to mine. I had one stuck pixel that appeared after about 6 months of use, but it seems to have gotten unstuck since then.

12/10 A++++ would buy again

kharma45

I'm putting together a wishlist for my first computer.

Can someone explain to me in some detail the differences between an i5 and i7? I hear the i7 is better for stuff other than gaming like video editing and whatnot (which I do enjoy), but how big is the increase in performance? I don't wanna spend too much more than I have to if the increase isn't worth it.

iirc it can be 20-30% better with software that can utilise all the threads the i7 offers.

I'll have a look at AMD tonight and hold off ordering my stuff for a few more days. Thanks for all your help.

It's worth a look. You'll not go wrong with either a 760, 770 or 280X.

So if I want more RAM it's best to buy it now or should I wait for the new generation?

If you need more (and if you're just gaming 8GB is plenty) then buy now, as the new generation is doing to be DDR4.

cdyhybrid

HALP!

Installed my new parts, but when I start it up, I get about half a second of the Loading Windows screen, then I get a blue screen and get kicked to a black and white screen that gives me two options:

1) System Repair
2) Start Windows Normally

Start Windows normally just repeats the process. System repair gives me this:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200302
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 4
Problem Signature 07: BadPatch
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I am using an OEM 64-bit Windows 7 install.

mkenyon

Banned
Why is the BenQ XL2411T not being recommended anymore? Because it's only available in EU?
No G-Sync. If the price is substantially lower than the VG248QE in EU, I'll go ahead and re-add it.
I have a BenQ XL2420T and I never really notice how good it is (especially for a TN panel) until I use someone else's PC and then get back to mine. I had one stuck pixel that appeared after about 6 months of use, but it seems to have gotten unstuck since then.

12/10 A++++ would buy again
Have you tried out lightboost yet?

STOP IT.

Literally every single thing in the computer is faster. Boot times are irrelevant. Virus scans are instant. Programs open as soon as they are clicked. Finding files is faster.

Every.

Single.

Thing.

Is

Faster.

It is the easiest upgrade you can do for speed on a computer. You could even refresh old shirty computers with it.

Also the 770 is a waste of money. I'd argue that a 760 with an SSD would be a faster better experience than a 770 without one.

+1 to this post.

even a year after building my PC that near instant boot-up still blows me away.

iirc it can be 20-30% better with software that can utilise all the threads the i7 offers.

It's worth a look. You'll not go wrong with either a 760, 770 or 280X.

If you need more (and if you're just gaming 8GB is plenty) then buy now, as the new generation is doing to be DDR4.

8gb is fine, but I study film editing and CGI at Uni and the memory could be very useful when I need a few programs open at one time.

I'm swaying to the 760 and then spend £60 on a SSD.

kharma45

8gb is fine, but I study film editing and CGI at Uni and the memory could be very useful when I need a few programs open at one time.

I'm swaying to the 760 and then spend £60 on a SSD.

That would be my recommendation. You'll notice more benefit from an SSD than some extra frames in games, especially as you'll be using your PC for work.

If you're doing any video editing yourself then bumping your RAM to 16GB would be a sound enough move.

IMACOMPUTA

I bought 2 Gigabyte 280x's lately. This one to be exact.

I actually wish I would have gone Nvidia. I'm thinking 780ti.

Do you think I could take advantage of the price inflation and jump ship to Nvidia?
Anybody interested? I'd trade.

kharma45

Yeah there seems to still be a price bubble in the US from what I've seen, strike whilst the iron is hot.

I wouldn't grab a 780 Ti though, I don't think it's worth the extra cash over a nice 780.

kharma45

guys is this a good ssd for my desktop? I had a hdd drive die on me. :(
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT240M500SSD1/dp/tech-data/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=de_a_smtd
Also does the hdd use the same cable or do i need a different one?

Perfectly good, but I'd go for this Kingston V300 as it's $20 cheaper and still just as reliable http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also yes they do use the same cable. Just make sure you've the SSD plugged into a SATA 3 port on your motherboard.

ss_lemonade

Are all bluetooth usb adapters built the same, or are the cheap ones just crappy? I have a really cheap adapter I use to connect stuff like wiimotes to but I recently acquired a bluetooth stereo headset that works fine when I initially pair it but has troubles reconnecting after I switch it off and on. I noticed I have better luck getting it to reconnect when I have the Add Devices screen open to get my bluetooth adapter blinking/searching. If I don't do that it either does nothing when I click connect, or it shows that its connected but no sound would come out of my headset. Either way, I would have to remove device and repair it again which is a pain.

Oh yeah, the taskbar volume controls would also freeze and my Sound control panel would never come up again unless I restart if the thing fails to connect properly.

NoRéN

STOP IT.

Every.

Single.

Thing.

Is

Faster.

Also the 770 is a waste of money. I'd argue that a 760 with an SSD would be a faster better experience than a 770 without one.

Who the fuck would...

why...

what?

wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom