• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolken

Neo Member
What kind of protections does Amazon offer? Will Amazon refund you if a package got lost in shipping?

I only have a bit of experience with Amazon but their support is phenomenal. One of my packages never made it to me (presumably lost somewhere) so I contacted them via e-mail. A few hours later they had sent me a replacement package free of charge and with priority express.

Ty4on

guys is this a good ssd for my desktop? I had a hdd drive die on me. :(
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT240M500SSD1/dp/tech-data/B00BQ8RM1A/ref=de_a_smtd
Also does the hdd use the same cable or do i need a different one?

Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with that SSD. It should be reliable and quite fast.

Edit: Read laptop instead of desktop... The connector is the same as for a regular drive.
hd-interfaces.jpg

0xCA2

Amazon customer service is amazing. They would straight up send you another package.
I only have a bit of experience with Amazon but their support is phenomenal. One of my packages never made it to me (presumably lost somewhere) so I contacted them via e-mail. A few hours later they had sent me a replacement package free of charge and with priority express.

OMG thank ya'll for telling me this. I have been jerked around for the past week because I kept trying to contact several USPS post offices about lost packages (for stuff I bought through Amazon). Now I will try for Amazon customer service. Thanks!

neoism

Perfectly good, but I'd go for this Kingston V300 as it's $20 cheaper and still just as reliable http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A1ZTZNM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also yes they do use the same cable. Just make sure you've the SSD plugged into a SATA 3 port on your motherboard.

It's one of the better SSD's available.

Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with that SSD. It should be reliable and quite fast.

Edit: Read laptop instead of desktop... The connector is the same as for a regular drive.
hd-interfaces.jpg

thanks for the replies will buy I guess...
My poor hdd.. almost 4 and half years old..

this a sata 3 right lol I never installed any hdd ever lol imashamed got my friend to build my pc

dat dust lol its really not that dusty.. >.<
My hdd. I fucked up :( I had a problem this past September and need to install win 7 again I thought it was the hdd but every test I did said it was fine. not really sure if its my copy of win 7 or just something else but ever since sp1 released in 10 I tried and tried to install sp1 but it would never complete successfully So I did the upgrade thing to keep all my files and backed them up on my external... but it wasn't big enough so after this time even though I backed up in oct. I lost about 3000 songs and alot of other files.... :*( unless the drive is truely toast... not sure
Basically this Christmas eve I bought FF14 from amazon and started to dl it it was like 6 minutes to finishing and my computer started to reallly get slow... I ended up stopping to dl and restarting but from then on it would not load windows at all and even safe mode wouldn't load... After doing everything I could think of bcdboot, checked ram removed ram did diskcheck. If I leave it to load for like 3 hours it will boot up in win 7 but its sooo slow.. :/ otherwise I could back up the rest of my stuff....

lesson learned: back up yo back up weekly from now on

IllumiNate

So I called ncix to see what the status of my order was. They said that the Gigabyte 780 Ti's were backordered until Jan 15th. also the PSU I ordered (XFX 1250 Gold) was not going to be available for a while due to Miners buying multiples.. So he switched my Gigabyte to a MSI 780 Ti. Then changed my PSU to the XFX 1000w Platinum. For the same price, I lose wattage but go from Gold to Platinum. I'm guessing 1000w should be enough for 2way SLI 780 Ti's and future 980's SLI?

kharma45

So I called ncix to see what the status of my order was. They said that the Gigabyte 780 Ti's were backordered until Jan 15th. also the PSU I ordered (XFX 1250 Gold) was not going to be available for a while due to Miners buying multiples.. So he switched my Gigabyte to a MSI 780 Ti. Then changed my PSU to the XFX 1000w Platinum. For the same price, I lose wattage but go from Gold to Platinum. I'm guessing 1000w should be enough for 2way SLI 780 Ti's and future 980's SLI?

Yes.

M09482

Neo Member
Ok guys, just sold my HD 7950 for £230 and now I'm looking for a new graphics card. For me it is between the GTX 780 and the R9 290. They are around the £360 - £400 price point with the R9 290 non reference coolers being slightly more expensive.

With the intention of going SLI/Xfire in the future when 1 card will no longer cut it, which card would you guys recommend? Other relevant info: I game at 1080p on a 55 inch TV, however in the future I may purchase a higher resolution monitor and use that instead.

OK people.

Can I fit a Noctua U14S heatsink into a bitfenix prodigy with Corsair Dominator ram at the same time?

Shamelss bump, I really need an answer to this.

Basically my friend has spare dominator ram which is overkill but shit it's free, so I was thinking I'd cut the D14 and swap it for a U14s as there will be room for the ram.

Will it fit in a Bitfenix Prodigy?

mkenyon

Banned
Shamelss bump, I really need an answer to this.

Basically my friend has spare dominator ram which is overkill but shit it's free, so I was thinking I'd cut the D14 and swap it for a U14s as there will be room for the ram.

Will it fit in a Bitfenix Prodigy?
Just go with a Seidon 120V or Corsair H60. I'm not certain it'll fit.
Does anybody know a good place to buy individually sleeved PSU cables for a Seasonic Platinum power supply?
I've got a guy, super good.

https://www.facebook.com/PrometheanMutations

Tell him Michael Kenyon sent you. Best prices, great materials, great execution.
Thanks for the reply Kharma45.

I think I've got my bare essentials down for now. If anyone wants to take a look at it and tell me what they think that would be great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3DN7I4ETZJKZ2

Already got this case on order.
Swap the PSU for something in the OP. The XFX Core 550 would save you quite a bit, but I really like this Seasonic G-Series.

I'd also recommend this motherboard.

cdyhybrid

Tried that. Still nothing. I did the command line stuff in that link, no help. I still have the Windows CD (the guy in that link doesn't), and I can boot from the CD, but it prompts me to "Install Now" and my only options in there are Upgrade or Custom (i.e. fresh install).

There is a "Repair your computer" option, but that just gives me a message saying:

This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.

...but it's the same disc I used to install it. It's an OEM version, so I assume this is my problem, but I'm not sure. I'm not opposed to just buying another license, but I just wanted to make sure I had no other choice.

TehWhite

Neo Member
I know this thread is for ppl building there pc but I have an issue with my pc and figured someone could help me.

My pc some time late nov or early dec decided not display anything. I turn it on and get a blank black screen. I thought the issue may be my graphics card or motherboard. I went and purchased a new graphics card . I received it today put it in and nothing same issues nothing shows on the screen. I went with the graphics card cause my original had problems anyway would randomly crash/bsod sometimes for no reason and I was going to replace it anyway. Now I also dont hear any beeps went i try to boot either. Idr when I stopped hearing beeps. I just know from today it did not make any beeps at all. I also hear it could be the powersupply but the fan works on the power supply and if it was deadwouldnt that mean the pc wouldnt turn on at all?. I don't have another pc to try it on so I dont want to make another mistake a purchase something I don't need.

All parts were bought around aug-sept 2012. pc was built in oct 2012

motherboard - msi 990fxa gd65v2

processor - amd phenom 2 black edition 965

ram - 8gb adata gaming series

ssd-adata 128g xpg sx900

power supply antec earth watts 520

old graphics card : sapphire raedon 6850

new card recieved today- sapphire radeon r9 270x 4g

kennah

Tried that. Still nothing. I did the command line stuff in that link, no help. I still have the Windows CD (the guy in that link doesn't), and I can boot from the CD, but it prompts me to "Install Now" and my only options in there are Upgrade or Custom (i.e. fresh install).

There is a "Repair your computer" option, but that just gives me a message saying:

This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.

...but it's the same disc I used to install it. It's an OEM version, so I assume this is my problem, but I'm not sure. I'm not opposed to just buying another license, but I just wanted to make sure I had no other choice.

Is it an old disc? The install disc loses repair compatibility after a Service Pack has been applied.

Does this error come up after you've changed a lot of hard ware? Chances are you just need to reinstall.

cdyhybrid

Is it an old disc? The install disc loses repair compatibility after a Service Pack has been applied.

Does this error come up after you've changed a lot of hard ware? Chances are you just need to reinstall.

I bought it in late 2011, and I'm sure I've auto-installed a bunch of updates since, can't remember if I installed any service packs.

I changed out basically everything outside of my HDD and optical drive.

mkenyon

Banned

Here's the Win 7 official ISO: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

Put it on a USB stick with this tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Then select the correct SKU (or just remove it) by this method: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-t...ll-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/

If it doesn't work from that, then we can try a few more things.
I bought it in late 2011, and I'm sure I've auto-installed a bunch of updates since, can't remember if I installed any service packs.

I changed out basically everything outside of my HDD and optical drive.
Wait, are you trying to boot or trying to reformat?
Sounds like a PSU issue to me, but it could also be the motherboard or memory. Only way to find out is to troubleshoot, unfortunately.

kris.

Banned
hey guys, quick question! i'm trying to decide on what graphics card i'm going to use for my rig (last part I need to truly finish it!!) and I think I've settled on the GTX 660 because it's cheap, but every now and then i'll read a review saying that theirs dies after a few months and they've had this horrible experience and it just makes me nervous dropping $200 on one and having it die right after the warranty expires so are graphics cards really that prone to failure or is it just a vocal minority?

cdyhybrid

Here's the Win 7 official ISO: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

Put it on a USB stick with this tool: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Then select the correct SKU (or just remove it) by this method: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-t...ll-from-single-edition-dvd-disc-media-or-iso/

If it doesn't work from that, then we can try a few more things.

Wait, are you trying to boot or trying to reformat?

Sounds like a PSU issue to me, but it could also be the motherboard or memory. Only way to find out is to troubleshoot, unfortunately.

I'm not trying to reformat (yet). I was under the impression that since I replaced a bunch of hardware, my Windows license would no longer be good (since it was an OEM version), but I'd be able to plead my case to Microsoft and maybe get a mulligan on it.

If not, I'm willing to reformat if that means I can avoid spending $100 on another license, if that's even possible, but I can't even get to a place where it tells me my license is no longer good, because I can't get into Windows at all.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh, no, you can't get back into Windows. You can try and use the same disc/license to get another run on it AFTER reformating with new hardware (which will probably work), or.....
PM me you email addy.
hey guys, quick question! i'm trying to decide on what graphics card i'm going to use for my rig (last part I need to truly finish it!!) and I think I've settled on the GTX 660 because it's cheap, but every now and then i'll read a review saying that theirs dies after a few months and they've had this horrible experience and it just makes me nervous dropping $200 on one and having it die right after the warranty expires so are graphics cards really that prone to failure or is it just a vocal minority?
Vocal minority, unless it's one of the less reputable AIB's. Warranties last three years though.

kharma45

Thanks for the reply Kharma45.

I think I've got my bare essentials down for now. If anyone wants to take a look at it and tell me what they think that would be great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3DN7I4ETZJKZ2

Already got this case on order.

Swap the motherboard to the UD3H that mkenyon suggested.

Don't go for a reference 290, the cooler hampers what is a great card. Either get a 780 at £400 or if you can wait until the 17th then Overclockers (and hopefully other retailers) will have non-reference 290s http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-341-SP

See for the PSU, are you wanting to run a single GPU or go multi GPU? If it's just a single one then we can drop to a good quality 500w or so.

Swap the PSU for something in the OP. The XFX Core 550 would save you quite a bit, but I really like this Seasonic G-Series.

I'd also recommend this motherboard.

G Series is nice but £20 more gets you the 750w fully modular XFX Gold unit, or there is the Corsair RM550 for £78. I'll scout around for other options but we're not blessed in the UK with good pricing atm :(

plainr_

Just like that I bought a V300 120GB for 70 bucks. I don't even know where to put it. All my computers have SSD's already. lol

mkenyon

Banned
DEAL ALERT

zp6yrBz.png

G Series is nice but £20 more gets you the 750w fully modular XFX Gold unit, or there is the Corsair RM550 for £78. I'll scout around for other options but we're not blessed in the UK with good pricing atm :(
Was trying to keep the price the same :p

It's at least semi-modular.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone know where I can get a retail version (NOT OEM) of windows 7 or 8 cheaper than the student discount on the microsoft store? I am about to place the order but I have been trying to see if I can get it slightly cheaper.

I am not eligible for the free copy because I am not taking any computer science classes.

kharma45

I'm skeptical of the RM until more units are out in the wild.

I've seen one bad review on it where it went a bit wonky, you're probably right about waiting for a few more.

Last suggestions

Corsair Professional Series HX650 for £95

Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 580W Power Supply for £83.46

There is also the Corsair TX750M at £97. Slim pickings as I said :\

Anyone know where I can get a retail version (NOT OEM) of windows 7 or 8 cheaper than the student discount on the microsoft store? I am about to place the order but I have been trying to see if I can get it slightly cheaper.

I am not eligible for the free copy because I am not taking any computer science classes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...etail_windows_81_pro_3264_w_paypal_325_sales/

XxCGSxX

I'm trying to stress test my CPU with Prime95 using the blend option but when I see the utilization % in task manager it doesn't go past 50%, How do I stress test it 100%? Oh and it says 1.68GHz of speed instead of 3.50GHz of max speed available. Is this normal? It's a AMD FX 8320

XxCGSxX

I'm trying to stress test my CPU with Prime95 using the blend option but when I see the utilization % in task manager it doesn't go past 50%, How do I stress test it 100%? Oh and it says 1.68GHz of speed instead of 3.50GHz of max speed available. Is this normal? It's a AMD FX 8320
Help GAF D:

DJ_Lae

I totally want to spend some of my benefit credits on an Asus VG248...but I have a feeling it'll spoil me to the point where I'll want to upgrade my computer further.

cdyhybrid

Question: on the Gigabyte website under the Chipset drivers I see 1) Intel Management Engine Interface and 2) Intel INF installation.

Do I need both of these? I installed whatever was on the CD that came with the board but trying to get the latest ones.

Just had to say thanks so much for this OP. I'd like to save up for a new HTPC as my current little rig is great for XBMC, but sucks for gaming and I really want to join in on the Wii/PS2 Emulation bandwagon AND get into Steam titles since there's so much variety now and I don't see myself getting a PS4/XBONE anytime soon.

Probably going to go with that $1030 Excellent build. Just have to start saving (trying out that 52 Week Saving Plan).

HoosTrax

I totally want to spend some of my benefit credits on an Asus VG248...but I have a feeling it'll spoil me to the point where I'll want to upgrade my computer further.
No doubt about it. You'll start to roll your eyes every time you see "X video card is overkill for 1080p". Because everyone rolls old-school 60hz style, amirite?

scogoth

Finally back from internet-less vacation.

2014! New thread, same OP, kennah still hasn't built his water cooled machine yet and still waiting for 27in 4K 144Hz G-Sync unicorn edition monitors.

My new rear resolution is to FINALLY finish cable sleeving, setting up aquaero and all the finishing touches on my computer.

I kid OP looks great

DJ_Lae

No doubt about it. You'll start to roll your eyes every time you see "X video card is overkill for 1080p". Because everyone rolls old-school 60hz style, amirite?

I have a 7970 so I'd be okay for a little while, but I just know I'd be turning details down to take advantage of that refresh rate...and then I'd be buying more expensive hardware so I could bump the settings back up again.

I should just do it.

HoosTrax

I have a 7970 so I'd be okay for a little while, but I just know I'd be turning details down to take advantage of that refresh rate...and then I'd be buying more expensive hardware so I could bump the settings back up again.

I should just do it.
I have a 7970 GHz Edition, and I consider it "midrange" for 144Hz purposes. It's bad...I'm actually seriously considering the GTX790 when it comes out :\.

It's compatible, its an ASROCK Z87E-ITX.

My issue is the ram clearance, which is something the compatibility list does not address.
If it's not explicitly mentioned, then it's probably fine. At worst, you would use one fan instead of two.

I have a 7970 GHz Edition, and I consider it "midrange" for 144Hz purposes. It's bad...I'm actually seriously considering the GTX790 when it comes out :\.

If it's not explicitly mentioned, then it's probably fine. At worst, you would use one fan instead of two.

The U14s only has one fan...can I swap the side the fan is on?

HoosTrax

The U14s only has one fan...can I swap the side the fan is on?
Yes, but I'm fairly sure you'll be fine either way. If you look at that Noctua compatibility chart, it explicitly mentions cases where you're restricted as far as the RAM height.

For example, the board I use (the ASUS Impact) has a lot of vertical components, so the cooler can't be installed in the normal direction (which doesn't impact RAM height), and would have to be installed rotated 90 degrees, which would cause it to overhang the RAM slots. You shouldn't have this issue.

Tablo

So being that Z97 boards will have M.2 support, any news on retail availability of M.2 drives?
Hope that NVMe and Sata Express will make it thus summer/fall for the Haswell Refresh, and maybe Broadwell-K.

DukeSucks

can you guys recommend a blue illuminated wired keyboard?

Not looking for super hard-core one, just a decent one that will allow me to surf/play a few casual games like minecraft at night. Prefer it to be wired and the lights be blue.

thanks

can you guys recommend a blue illuminated wired keyboard?

Not looking for super hard-core one, just a decent one that will allow me to surf/play a few casual games like minecraft at night. Prefer it to be wired and the lights be blue.

thanks

Let me give a different opinion if I may. I'm not a fan of blue backlights as they feel harder on my eyes at night as opposed to orange or green.

I almost purchased this.

Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Mech Keyboard Orange LED Cherry Red

However I decided to go with this, and it's fucking excellent.

Mionix Zibal 60 Green LED Cherry Black

EDIT: I just realised you said not super hardcore.

Which I think those fall into the category of.

Try something like this

Ducky DK2087 Zero TKL Mechanical Keyboard Cherry Black

cdyhybrid

Everything is up and running! Thanks again for all the help!

Next on the list for the (near?) future...new speakers and/or a sound card and/or working up the courage to try and OC my CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom