• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'd rather skimp on an HDD than go without an SSD, FWIW.

Do you need the storage space?

To be honest, not really. Hell I make do with a sole 64GB SSD in my laptop with numerous external USB HDDs scattered around my house and do just fine but was ideally aiming for 500GB at least in my new desktop build.

kharma45

So without going into the whole story (lightning strike!) I'm in a bit of a unique situation. If you had $300 or so to spend on a motherboard and it had to be from Microcenter, which would you go with? The recommended board on the OP spreadsheet isn't carried by them. I'm planning on going with a 4770k so it'd be a z87 mobo I guess.

Gigabyte UD3H.

Spending anything more is generally just dick waving.

mkenyon

Banned
So without going into the whole story (lightning strike!) I'm in a bit of a unique situation. If you had $300 or so to spend on a motherboard and it had to be from Microcenter, which would you go with? The recommended board on the OP spreadsheet isn't carried by them. I'm planning on going with a 4770k so it'd be a z87 mobo I guess.
First off, sorry about Sunday. I was rooting for GB.

But, this is the one I'd suggest.
Gigabyte UD3H.

Spending anything more is generally just dick waving.
Unanimous!

eznark

Banned
Hey, two in a row can't be wrong! Thanks guys!

And I don't know what you're talking about mk, it's baseball season.

eznark

Banned
I'm just going to go with a single 780ti for now. Multiple GPU's terrify me and I'm not in a huge rush to upgrade my monitor, which is 1080p.

NoRéN

Someone should add a "dick waving" build to the OP.

$500 motherboards, gtx 780 and up, 32gb ram, led fans.

But no SSD.

mkenyon

Banned
NoRéN;96232477 said:

But no SSD.
That's what the "Sk3tch" build is, named in honor of our most insane GAF member.

mkenyon

Banned
Corsair 250D!
Love the design, and it fits damn well anything you could want for Mini ITX.
Only annoyance is the top panel is a small window instead of an additional vent/fan... Why.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-obsidian-250d-case,25583.html

Will go with this case when I build, just need details on Z97 and Haskell refresh, don't want to wait for Broadwell K in the fall, even if the 128MB eDRAM can help CPU performance.
A vent on the top would increase the amount of dust buildup in the case, something vocal enthusiasts are very very passionate about (on overclock.net, where a bunch of input and research was done for this case).

ud4h

Smokey

Does buying new parts count if you sell a 2560x1600 monitor to buy a 1440p G-Sync display? Cause, I know what you're up to.

You know nothing.

Btw I bought that HDD tray to move the HDD from the bottom of the FT02 to the empty disk drive bay. In preparation for water, but now :(

me and kennah water delay bros.

Tablo

A vent on the top would increase the amount of dust buildup in the case, something vocal enthusiasts are very very passionate about (on overclock.net, where a bunch of input and research was done for this case).

Good to know! Did not know that at all! Vents on the side are huge which is good, hopefully they have dust filters?

kennah

:( sad high five.

I'm only two rads and a pump away though. Have pretty much everything else.

Sitting.

Waiting.

Dolken

Neo Member
Yeah. IVB-E is really meant for high end 3-4 GPU systems, for gamers at least.

If one wants to push out as many frames as possible and have low frame times, is it necessary to go down the SB-E/IVB-E route when there's only two high-end GPUs? Or is it only beneficial once you move up to three or four?

kharma45

If one wants to push out as many frames as possible and have low frame times, is it necessary to go down the SB-E/IVB-E route when there's only two high-end GPUs? Or is it only beneficial once you move up to three or four?

No. If you're just going for two GPUs go Haswell.

Well I got a UD4H :(

Then again I got it for a £5 cheaper than a UD3H and wanted a red and black Gigabyte board for yonks.

Still a brilliant board. Essentially the same but red. Can't go wrong if it was a fiver cheaper.

mkenyon

Banned
As Kharma says, Haswell for two.

The reason is that consumer socket processors (1150/1155) only have 16 PCI-E lanes. If you go to three cards, the max you can run on most motherboards is x8/x4/x4 which bottlenecks a number of cards. At x8/x8, there are no bottlenecks. The only way to get around that is spending $400 on a motherboard that has a PLX chip, which multiplies PCI-E lanes. It's also why they are listed in the Sk3tch build in the OP.

Enthusiast socket processors (2011) have 40 PCI-E lanes, so even your basic X79 motherboard can do x16/x16/x8.

Dr Dogg

Still a brilliant board. Essentially the same but red. Can't go wrong if it was a fiver cheaper.

Well to be fair it's the same board bar a couple of extra power phases, which my flakey 4670k isn't going to be needing anytime soon.

The last 3 Gigabyte boards I've bought have all been blue so the colour change was welcome. Saying that by the time I assembled everything you can't even see any red hahaha.

Dolken

Neo Member
No. If you're just going for two GPUs go Haswell.

As Kharma says, Haswell for two.

The reason is that consumer socket processors (1150/1155) only have 16 PCI-E lanes. If you go to three cards, the max you can run on most motherboards is x8/x4/x4 which bottlenecks a number of cards. At x8/x8, there are no bottlenecks. The only way to get around that is spending $400 on a motherboard that has a PLX chip, which multiplies PCI-E lanes. It's also why they are listed in the Sk3tch build in the OP.

Enthusiast socket processors (2011) have 40 PCI-E lanes, so even your basic X79 motherboard can do x16/x16/x8.

Alright, thanks for informing me.

Pro

A few weeks ago I posted about having spontaneous reboots daily and startup errors. I had two 60GB SSDs in a RAID 0 and IRST reported drive 1 always failing. I replaced it and sure enough my PC is completely stable once again.

Sharing this for anyone who is considering a RAID configuration with multiple SSD drives. I don't think it is worth it. The amount of writing in the RAID configuration kills the SSD a lot faster. I had mine for about 2 years. This could be the normal life span for an SSD regardless but I feel confident that a single non RAIDed SSD will last longer. They are still plenty fast on boot up. Keep the writing to SSDs at a minimum.

scogoth

NoRéN;96232477 said:

But no SSD.

That's what the "Sk3tch" build is, named in honor of our most insane GAF member.

This is going to be a lot...

Parts
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel 4960X
RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 CL10
GPUs: 4x GTX 780Ti Kingpin Edition
PSU: Great Wall 2000W PSU
Boot Drive: 4x512GB Samsung 840PRO RAID 0
Storage: Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt RAID enclosure w/ 6x4TB WD Red drives
Case: Caselabs MAGNUM TX10-V

Cooling
Motherboard: EK-FB KIT ASUS R4BE Acetal
CPU: Swiftech APOGEE HD Limited Edition Gold
GPUs: EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal
yes they won't fit the kingpin board but its a dream build
Radiators: Alphacool NexXxos Monsta, however ever many you can stuff in that case
Res: XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump
Fittings: Gold Monsoons of course
Control: Aquaero 5
Fans: GT AP-15
Pumps: Any D5 Strongs/Vario

Accessories
Monitors: 3x 27in Asus 120Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync

Cost: ??? (too much work to calculate)

mkenyon

Banned
This is going to be a lot...

Parts
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel 4960X
RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 CL10
GPUs: 4x GTX 780Ti Kingpin Edition
PSU: Great Wall 2000W PSU
Boot Drive: 4x512GB Samsung 840PRO RAID 0
Storage: Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt RAID enclosure w/ 6x4TB WD Red drives
Case: Caselabs MAGNUM TX10-V

Cooling
Motherboard: EK-FB KIT ASUS R4BE Acetal
CPU: Swiftech APOGEE HD Limited Edition Gold
GPUs: EK-FC780 GTX Ti - Acetal
yes they won't fit the kingpin board but its a dream build
Radiators: Alphacool NexXxos Monsta, however ever many you can stuff in that case
Res: XSPC Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/Pump
Fittings: Gold Monsoons of course
Control: Aquaero 5
Fans: GT AP-15
Pumps: Any D5 Strongs/Vario

Accessories
Monitors: 3x 27in Asus 120Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync

Cost: ??? (too much work to calculate)
Well, yeah.

But I was trying to make a semi-realistic insane build, as there are definitely GAFers who have and will do it.

mkenyon

Banned
This would be amazing. First thing I thought of when that ROG panel was announced with that thin bezel. Definitely take at least 3 780ti/Titans though to pull it off.
Maybe you should go for a regular 3 series then, instead of the M3.

Actually, sell the titan, all three of your 24"s, the U30, and you're not too far off.

Maybe two 790s, and you're good to go!

M09482

Neo Member
I'm looking to buy a GTX 780 within the next few days and I've narrowed down my selection to the following 2 cards:

£407 ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780 AMP! Edition 3GB GDDR5

£431 EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Classified

Looking at the benchmarks of both cards the Zotac is slightly faster out of the box but looks butt ugly. It also comes with a 5 year warranty (non-transferable) once registered. The EVGA potentially has better overclocking potential, looks nicer (might be important if I get a windowed PC case in the future), and although it only comes with a 3 year warranty it is transferable. Finally there is the EVGA step up program which might come in handy if Nvidia drop their prices on the 780 Ti (unlikely).

Which card would you guy's recommend? Anyone care to share their experiences of RMA with Zotac and EVGA?

Kevlar

Neo Member
Hi Guys this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here but I have a problem with installing my graphic card to my PC as there there is currently no signal displayed from the monitor after fitting a new gpu.
My specs are
"Asus CM6730-UK004S Desktop PC (Intel Core i5-3330 3.0 GHz,8gb ram , 500HDD,
DVD-RW, Wi-Fi ,6-in-1 card reader, 2x USB 3.0 ,windows 8)"
Psu :Corsair builder series CX500 Watt ATX
Gpu: Palit gtx650ti boost 2GB Gddr5
My old gpu GeForce gtx 240 displays but the Palit gtx650ti boost won't display.
Just to be clear the Palit gtx650ti boost works on my brothers computer fine.
Also my graphic card fan spins on my computer.

Smokey

Hi Guys this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this here but I have a problem with installing my graphic card to my PC as there there is currently no signal displayed from the monitor after fitting a new gpu.
My specs are
"Asus CM6730-UK004S Desktop PC (Intel Core i5-3330 3.0 GHz,8gb ram , 500HDD,
DVD-RW, Wi-Fi ,6-in-1 card reader, 2x USB 3.0 ,windows 8)"
Psu :Corsair builder series CX500 Watt ATX
Gpu: Palit gtx650ti boost 2GB Gddr5
My old gpu GeForce gtx 240 displays but the Palit gtx650ti boost won't display.
Just to be clear the Palit gtx650ti boost works on my brothers computer fine.
Also my graphic card fan spins on my computer.

Welcome

What motherboard does your brother have?

Smokey

Hi there Smokey, I'm not sure what motherboard my brother has but if it helps he has an Alienware X51 i7-3770 3.4GHz GTX 660

Is yours a pre built PC? If so there may be something with that specific motherboard that is preventing it from working on your machine. Your brothers PC, the X51 while pre built, allows for some modification.

Is there another PCI-E slot you can try on your GPU to see of it works? Also do our have the latest drivers for your motherboard and that new GPU?

With the fans spinning it's getting power so that's why I'm wondering if it's a motherboard or GPU driver issue.

kennah

It's an Asus prebuilt. Should be fine. All the power connectors are connected? PCI-E is selected as the Graphics Adaptor in the BIOS?

Kevlar

Neo Member
Is yours a pre built PC? If so there may be something with that specific motherboard that is preventing it from working on your machine. Your brothers PC, the X51 while pre built, allows for some modification.

Is there another PCI-E slot you can try on your GPU to see of it works? Also do our have the latest drivers for your motherboard and that new GPU?

With the fans spinning it's getting power so that's why I'm wondering if it's a motherboard or GPU driver issue.
Yes it is prebuilt and ive only got one PCI-E slot but i havent downloaded the latest driver for the motherboard yet, so i will do that and see how it goes.

Smokey

It's an Asus prebuilt. Should be fine. All the power connectors are connected? PCI-E is selected as the Graphics Adaptor in the BIOS?

Yes it is prebuilt and ive only got one PCI-E slot but i havent downloaded the latest driver for the motherboard yet, so i will do that and see how it goes.

try what kennah said first.

I asked about motherboard drivers because there was something similar with a GPU of mine where the mobo had to be updated first for it to work.

Kevlar

Neo Member

I have set the PCI-E as the graphic adaptor in the bios and also if the latest drivers don't work, I was thinking of buying a new motherboard as i have tried everything i can think of.

Smokey

I have set the PCI-E as the graphic adaptor in the bios and also if the latest drivers don't work, I was thinking of buying a new motherboard as i have tried everything i can think of.

Would your bro let you try his GPU in your machine?

You tried latest nvidia gpu drivers as well?

Wallach

My CM Storm Spawn and replacement QcK Mass came today, finally. FedEx really failed me this time; I can't remember the last time it took an Amazon order two weeks to arrive.

I think I can finally move on from my MX 518. Simply awesome shape, I can't remember the last time I put my hand to a mouse and didn't immediately want to go back.

FoxSpirit

kharma45

I'm looking to buy a GTX 780 within the next few days and I've narrowed down my selection to the following 2 cards:

£407 ZOTAC GeForce GTX 780 AMP! Edition 3GB GDDR5

£431 EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX Classified

Looking at the benchmarks of both cards the Zotac is slightly faster out of the box but looks butt ugly. It also comes with a 5 year warranty (non-transferable) once registered. The EVGA potentially has better overclocking potential, looks nicer (might be important if I get a windowed PC case in the future), and although it only comes with a 3 year warranty it is transferable. Finally there is the EVGA step up program which might come in handy if Nvidia drop their prices on the 780 Ti (unlikely).

Which card would you guy's recommend? Anyone care to share their experiences of RMA with Zotac and EVGA?

Cat amongst the pigeons maybe here but £380 for the MSI 780 http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...tm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PCPartPicker

RMA service isn't as fast as EVGA though.

mkenyon

Banned
My CM Storm Spawn and replacement QcK Mass came today, finally. FedEx really failed me this time; I can't remember the last time it took an Amazon order two weeks to arrive.

I think I can finally move on from my MX 518. Simply awesome shape, I can't remember the last time I put my hand to a mouse and didn't immediately want to go back.
Glad you like them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom