• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Use the Corsair Link Software to determine if the pump is working. Just hook up the USB from the block to the motherboard and plug in the SATA power to the H80i. Open up Corsair Link, if the pump RPM is below 2000RPM its probably the fault.

Yes you can use other fans on Noctuas. What CPU do you have?
I did have Corsair Link and the USB dongle installed (which was kind of a pain to do in Windows 8.1 actually), and it always reported 2000RPM at the pump. If it's a kink in the tubing, that's not something that can be easily fixed because I'm working with very little space to begin with, so I can't really rearrange it in a better place.

CPU is the 4770K.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
It might be advisable before you remove the GPU, to head into the BIOS and make sure the setting for VGA adapter is set to detect or auto or similar. This may not be necessary though.

Your motherboard provides VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. Pick one and boot up the machine. Without a discrete GPU installed, the system should detect your display and output on the correct port. I shouldn't think there's much else to it. Head to Gigabyte's site and get the Intel VGA driver for Ivy Bridge.

Thanks for that. I'm now using the internal graphics via HDMI from my motherboard but I'm only getting stereo audio. Does the internal graphics normally support 5.1 or is that for my video card?

riflen

Thanks for that. I'm now using the internal graphics via HDMI from my motherboard but I'm only getting stereo audio. Does the internal graphics normally support 5.1 or is that for my video card?

I don't know. You'll have to read your motherboard manual to determine what's supported on that HDMI output. You may have to use the motherboard optical S/PDIF to get 5.1 audio.

LilJoka

It does, go to playback devices, select the HDMI, click configure, set it to 5.1.

I did have Corsair Link and the USB dongle installed (which was kind of a pain to do in Windows 8.1 actually), and it always reported 2000RPM at the pump. If it's a kink in the tubing, that's not something that can be easily fixed because I'm working with very little space to begin with, so I can't really rearrange it in a better place.

CPU is the 4770K.

Maybe a photo of the tubing would help, i also have a H80i is a very awkward spot, but no issues yet. My tubes exit the H80i at 45* angle or more to get over my GPU to the CPU. The tubes are also under some pressure at that point too due to the GPU protruding into them. No issues as of yet though.

Dave_6

I'm thinking about buying Skyrim here soon and trying out some of the mods (my first attempt). My PC setup is a 3570K@4.4, stock 7970 and 8GB of Samsung RAM. Any idea how well it would run modded Skyrim at 1080p?

devils-canyon1.png

I'm confused (again). Devil's Canyon and the Haswell Refresh are two different things?

kharma45

I'm thinking about buying Skyrim here soon and trying out some of the mods (my first attempt). My PC setup is a 3570K@4.4, stock 7970 and 8GB of Samsung RAM. Any idea how well it would run modded Skyrim at 1080p?

Very well.

Look into OCing your 7970 as a side note.

riflen

I'm confused (again). Devil's Canyon and the Haswell Refresh are two different things?

Yes and no! Devil's Canyon refers to a couple of the top chips that are part of the Haswell refresh. They are unlocked (so K-equivalent) and apparently have the heat spreader soldered to the CPU.

kiyomi

Yes and no! Devil's Canyon refers to a couple of the top chips that are part of the Haswell refresh. They are unlocked (so K-equivalent) and apparently have the heat spreader soldered to the CPU.

The 4790K and the 4690K, respectively? There's a guy here who purports to have used them.

If Devil's Canyon really is coming June 2nd, do we expect to see Z97 mobos coming soon? Before June 2nd, right?

Pretty sure they are synonomous, however the Devil's Canyon parts will be the refreshed 4th gen Core i series, while the Haswell refresh is talking about their refreshed Celeron parts (I believe).

Edit: Beaten like a rented mule.

I also have a question however, are there any estimates on when we will see Haswell-E/Broadwell? I assume next year, however I am chomping at the bit to get an 8 core Intel part.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd seriously doubt any 8 core part on the consumer socket with Broadwell. Haswell-E should be out by June/July.

CPU is the 4770K.
Plug the pump directly into molex power.

I have this question from a workmate:

I’m currently brainstorming a water cooling build, with a few basic non-tech components already bought (case, fans, radiators) and I’m looking towards my loop order now, and my options for a reservoir and pump.

I’ve done a lot of research and a lot of websites always mention having the reservoir come before the pump, so that the pump is never run dry, as you run the risk of severely damaging it. What I’d like to do, is have a bay reservoir, which connects to a 240mm Radiator immediately below it in the front fans slot, and then to a pump sat on the bottom of the case. The idea is I’ll fill my reservoir and it’ll drain to fill the radiator and eventually that will overflow and fill the pump.

The full loop would end up being Reservoir -> Radiator -> Pump -> GPU Block -> Radiator -> CPU Block -> Reservoir -> ….

Any thoughts on why one should not go Reservoir -> Radiator -> Pump instead of the always recommended Reservoir -> Pump? Assuming of course, I fill my loop enough that the pump never runs dry during the filling process.

Some Additional Info:
Case: Corsair 350d
Radiators: Alphacool 240mm UT60 and 240mm ST30
Reservoir: Standard Bay Reservoir (not yet selected)
Pump: D5 Vario Pump + Standard Top (not yet selected)

Thanks in advance.

mkenyon

Banned
Sloppy paint job on why it wont work:

8lGsLk0.png

Radiators have water pass through them in a U shape. If you fill up the reservoir all of the way, there's no way to ensure that the pump is going to have water. The water pressure from the reservoir feed isn't going to be significant enough to push it through to the pump. There are *always* air pockets in radiators when you first fill it because of the design.

Why not just get a bay reservoir/pump combo like the Monsoon D5 series?

*edit*

Alternatively, if you want to continue on with your plan, you could put a T fitting between the radiator and pump, and run a line off of that just for the filling process.

xBladeM6x

Anyone have an opinion on the Corsair M65? I currently have a Razer Naga Molten (really enjoy it) however I was thinking of getting the M65 for FPS. Is this a good choice, or is there something else / better on the horizon?

I should also mention I have very large hands and tend to have a more claw-ish way on holding mice.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have an opinion on the Corsair M65? I currently have a Razer Naga Molten (really enjoy it) however I was thinking of getting the M65 for FPS. Is this a good choice, or is there something else / better on the horizon?

I should also mention I have very large hands and tend to have a more claw-ish way on holding mice.
The Sensei Raw or standard Sensei is what you want. The M65 is definitely intended for palm grip. I'd suggest the Rival, but that too is best with a palm grip.

Possibly that new Logitech mouse might be good too, the G502 Proteus.

xBladeM6x

The Sensei Raw or standard Sensei is what you want. The M65 is definitely intended for palm grip. I'd suggest the Rival, but that too is best with a palm grip.

Possibly that new Logitech mouse might be good too, the G502 Proteus.

Outside of the grip, is the M65 a good FPS mouse? Either way, thanks for the suggestions. :D

mkenyon

Banned
Outside of the grip, is the M65 a good FPS mouse? Either way, thanks for the suggestions. :D
It's not as good as most other mice with the Avago ADNS 9800 sensor.

Here's my thoughts on it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48456018&postcount=526

tl;dr, the firmware interpolation (every laser mouse uses interpolation) makes it weighted towards acceleration, which I find to be a huge nuisance.

It's great for casual/comfort use, horrible for competition.

sdijoseph

So some change fell through the top fan in my computer case and a nickel landed on the green portion of my graphics card, causing it to short circuit. Luckily that seems to be the only component damaged by the coins. It was a AMD Radeon 6950. I want to switch to Nvidia this time, so I should get the GTX 760? That seems to be the equivalent to the 6950 in price/power for this cycle of GPUs.

The only problem with this forced upgrade is that I think I might be bottle-necking my system, as my processor will still be a i5 2500k.

Edit: Also, is there a benefit to getting a 4GB card instead of 2GB? I ask because I recall that trying to run the icenhancer gta iv mod on my old card strained the video memory quite a bit.

mkenyon

Banned
It should boot once you remove it unless it physically damaged something.

But no, the 2500K doesn't bottle neck anything outside of maybe the 295x2, and only that is because of the PCI-E bandwidth.

sdijoseph

It should boot once you remove it unless it physically damaged something.

But no, the 2500K doesn't bottle neck anything outside of maybe the 295x2, and only that is because of the PCI-E bandwidth.

Oh yeah, the computer boots once the card is removed, I am just trying to decide which card should replace the 6950.

sdijoseph

I mean, just a short shouldn't kill the card. If it's under 3 years old, you should even be able to RMA it.

Oh seriously? Wow, it is only 2 years old. Not buying another $300 card would be very nice.
I am fairly certain the card is dead though, as a sizable puff of smoke came from my computer after the nickel landed on it, and nothing displays when the monitor is connected to it.

Edit: Never mind, it's a sapphire card and their warranties only last two years, and I got the card on 9/15/11.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh seriously? Wow, it is only 2 years old. Not buying another $300 card would be very nice.
I am fairly certain the card is dead though, as a sizable puff of smoke came from my computer after the nickel landed on it, and nothing displays when the monitor is connected to it.
Try RMA'ing it, and give as little information as possible. It's worth a shot.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I have a phenom II X6 1090T BE and an old but very servicable little soldier GTX 460.

Im wondering if its a logical upgrade to go with 750 ti ? I dont want top of the line GPU for a while as i dont really have time to game with school, and with the next gen of GPUs, i just want a stop gap 1080p graphic cards that will have ok performances for a while? My 460 cant even handle the star citizen hangar, i dont expect the 750 will run that game full speed but, maybe i can run the dogfight module? (haha?).

750 ti too weak?

Sloppy paint job on why it wont work:

Radiators have water pass through them in a U shape. If you fill up the reservoir all of the way, there's no way to ensure that the pump is going to have water. The water pressure from the reservoir feed isn't going to be significant enough to push it through to the pump. There are *always* air pockets in radiators when you first fill it because of the design.

Why not just get a bay reservoir/pump combo like the Monsoon D5 series?

*edit*

Alternatively, if you want to continue on with your plan, you could put a T fitting between the radiator and pump, and run a line off of that just for the filling process.[/QUOTE]

Thanks buddy - I'll pass it on.

kiyomi

I have a phenom II X6 1090T BE and an old but very servicable little soldier GTX 460.

Im wondering if its a logical upgrade to go with 750 ti ? I dont want top of the line GPU for a while as i dont really have time to game with school, and with the next gen of GPUs, i just want a stop gap 1080p graphic cards that will have ok performances for a while? My 460 cant even handle the star citizen hangar, i dont expect the 750 will run that game full speed but, maybe i can run the dogfight module? (haha?).

750 ti too weak?

750 Ti if you want to keep power/size down, R7 265 / R9 270 if you want a little more juice in that price range.

I just checked sapphire's warranty policy and it only covers up to two years (got it on 9/15/11). Oh well. In any case, do you think I should get the gtx 760 2gb or 4gb?
2 version definitely, the card won't be able to take advantage of the extra ram. In most cases there is about a 1-2 fps difference. Definitely not worth it imo.

-TRN-

Alright guys so I just bought all the parts of my PC and managed to put it all together miraculously >_<. I have:
Asus z87 plus motherboard
I5 4670k
Cooler master 212 Evo
Evga 600B watts
Gtx 760 with 2 fans
120gb ssd
1tb hdd
Windows 8 with a reddit key

It all went ok and the fans were making no sound at all mostly. The OP says to download all the latest drivers and all so I did and imediatelly after installing the new nvidia drivers (335.23) the Gtx fans began running kinda loud (I don't really know if it's that loud since I only had a notebook before, so I'm not used to it) even when I'm running nothing at all. Is that normal? I downloaded msi afterburner to try and check this out and will do so later tonight but since the fans only went loud after installing the drivers, I kinda think that was the reason :/

EVO has better performance but you might notice little difference or none at all. I think it also has better included software.

The M500 has power loss protection.

Normally I'd go for the M500, but that is because it is cheaper. If the price difference really does not matter to you I might go for the EVO, but both are solid.

molnizzle

I'm really mad that no one told me about D3DOverrider not working in Windows 8. Now I have to go through the OS install and setup process again. FML...

Azulsky

I was not really impressed with Corsair's press to unlock system they have on the front panel of the 750D. One side came broken(on the panel side thankfully) and the fact that its just flimsy pieces of plastic really turns me off from buying that type of case or recommending it to anyone.

But my master plan to upgrade my case to a 900D is bunk if it has that same panel design.

Seems to be on many of their most recent Obsidian models from looking at their website.

Luckily they make plenty of other good cases that dont use that design.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright guys so I just bought all the parts of my PC and managed to put it all together miraculously >_<. I have:
Asus z87 plus motherboard
I5 4670k
Cooler master 212 Evo
Evga 600B watts
Gtx 760 with 2 fans
120gb ssd
1tb hdd
Windows 8 with a reddit key

It all went ok and the fans were making no sound at all mostly. The OP says to download all the latest drivers and all so I did and imediatelly after installing the new nvidia drivers (335.23) the Gtx fans began running kinda loud (I don't really know if it's that loud since I only had a notebook before, so I'm not used to it) even when I'm running nothing at all. Is that normal? I downloaded msi afterburner to try and check this out and will do so later tonight but since the fans only went loud after installing the drivers, I kinda think that was the reason :/
I'd check the current fan curve. Something was installed wonky that made them spin higher.
I'm really mad that no one told me about D3DOverrider not working in Windows 8. Now I have to go through the OS install and setup process again. FML...
Oh come on now, it's not that hard. First I've heard of this though.
PC -GAF, I am ignorant on most things PC related.

1) I was wondering if a Radeon HD 7850 gpu would be a decent upgrade from a 5770?

Specs:

Amd phenom ii x6 1100t
M5A97 motherboard
12 GB ddr3
Win 7 64bit
750 psu

2) should I overclock for gaming purposes? Current I'm at 3.5 ghz with a mp of 17.5, bus at 200 MHz and ht link at 2006 mhz
1) Yes

2) Yes, your proc is going to be holding you back in a lot of games.
Looks good, but I'd recommend one of the other cases in the OP instead of the Antec One.

With all games?

Do you have to use Win7 compatibility mode?

Some games won't launch in compatibility mode...

I think Planescape Torment or something might not have worked, but most titles do and I don't use compatibility mode on anything. I don't think there has been any difference between when I used it on Windows 7 and now when I use it on Windows 8.

mkenyon

Banned
I was not really impressed with Corsair's press to unlock system they have on the front panel of the 750D. One side came broken(on the panel side thankfully) and the fact that its just flimsy pieces of plastic really turns me off from buying that type of case or recommending it to anyone.

But my master plan to upgrade my case to a 900D is bunk if it has that same panel design.

Seems to be on many of their most recent Obsidian models from looking at their website.

Luckily they make plenty of other good cases that dont use that design.
If you want a premium case, Corsair has abandoned a lot of what made them great (build quality) to gain additional features. Phanteks Enthoo Primo is the current king of non-specialized cases (Case Labs, Little Devil, premium Lian Li) right now. Heck, even a lot of the NZXT stuff is nicer.

I think they do a lot of great stuff, I especially like the 350D and Air 540. But the 750D and 900D are really large and cheap.

molnizzle

I think Planescape Torment or something might not have worked, but most titles do and I don't use compatibility mode on anything. I don't think there has been any difference between when I used it on Windows 7 and now when I use it on Windows 8.

Well, you're the first person I've ever heard of that didn't have to set their game .exe to Win7 compatibility mode. After several hours of google-fu it seems to be required to force VSync + triple buffering in Win8/8.1.

The problem is that some games don't like compatibility mode. The first game I tried (The Witcher 2) won't even launch with any type of compatibility mode enabled.

Back to Windows 7 I go...

EDIT: Seems to be working for some I guess, but not for everyone and not all games. Ugh. I actually kind of like Windows 8 now so this is really weighing on me.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=384151

diaspora

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on an upgrade now instead of waiting on a product refresh. Right now I can pick up the following two cards at pretty good prices. I'm leaning towards the PNY because it's such a good price and it's one of the fastest clocked GTX 770's. What do you think?

$250 PNY VCGGTX7704XPB-OC2 GeForce GTX 770 4GB

$357 GIGABYTE GV-R929WF3-4GD Radeon R9 290 4GB

The 290 is significantly better than the 770, but it really depends on your budget.

lmpaler

I was play TW2 last night on 8.1 and it ran solid. No issues.

No issue on older games like PST as well. Run solid as ever with and without mods. The only error I got on PST prior to mods was when I closed the game it said there was an issue with the exe(even though it is closed), once I added the mods it went away. Never understood it.

I don't get how people are having such issue. 8.1 is actually pretty legit, 8 in general is pretty good.

I did my install on a brand new rig built fresh so maybe everyone should completely wipe everything and install then?

Been on 8 since March of last year and had ZERO issues

molnizzle

I was play TW2 last night on 8.1 and it ran solid. No issues.

No issue on older games like PST as well. Run solid as ever with and without mods. The only error I got on PST prior to mods was when I closed the game it said there was an issue with the exe(even though it is closed), once I added the mods it went away. Never understood it.

I don't get how people are having such issue. 8.1 is actually pretty legit, 8 in general is pretty good.

I did my install on a brand new rig built fresh so maybe everyone should completely wipe everything and install then?

Been on 8 since March of last year and had ZERO issues

I'm talking about using D3DOverrider to force VSync + triple buffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom