• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
I don't know if this has been already posted but here you go anyways:

devils-canyon1.png

Link: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/...Canyon_unlocked_CPUs_to_launch_on_June_2.html

So looks like this has been confirmed by VR-Zone

Hey that's the day before my birthday. Too bad I already have a 4670k. I would love a better overclock part, but it's not worth the cost over the small bump I bet.

This will do. Thanks a lot. Gonna try in a few when I get home

BF4 has a built in benchmark. I've used it to capture entire matches:

f4vWOmv.png

When you're in a match, press the ` key to bring up the console and type in "perfoverlay.framefilelogenable 1" and it'll dump frame times into the BF4 folder in your My Documents.

You can also use this tool to analyze frame data, both from FRAPS output and BF4 output:

http://webwalkers.cz/Windows/FLAcalculator/FLAcalculator.aspx

"Raw Power" is the average frame time. "Scene variability" is that red line, it's the smoothed curve of the actual frame times. The blue line is the actual frame times.

It tries to measure stuttering by seeing how much the blue line deviate from the red line, and scene variability by how much the red line deviates from the orange line (the average).

I think it's pretty accurate, for example in my bench above I have a 10.08 ms average, which is like 100FPS. But it says my final score after taking into accound stuttering and all that, is 11.92ms, or 84FPS. Subjectively (in other words, "this feels to me," I'm not a mathematician and won't try to defend this guy's methodology), this seems pretty accurate.

Panzon

Just did a benchmark on arkram city running fraps and this is the results I got...

Frames: 1167
Time: 24875ms
Avg: 46.915
Min:30
Max: 61

This was on all the highest possible settings. I'm using a gtx 780,SSC@4.2hz and 1.098 V.

Are these good results for a not so recent game or should I be worried and change something up?

Sorry to bother but I'm just trying to get the hang of OCing and Benchmarking

Ashhong

Thanks for the responses guys! So it's a problem with a program or something taking up all of my virtual memory, maybe graphics card issues? I'll go and reinstall the drivers tonight.

What should I monitor to see what is causing the leak? I'll give 8 another day or two, and then I'm going to 7. The OS itself is fine for the most part. Just these issues :(

That's an objectively great post. Much better than frafs, I didn't know it existed! TY for the heads up.

Yeah, it's pretty neat.

BTW, I just noticed the frame time data BF4 outputs includes CPU and GPU time.. I wonder why reviewers didn't use the CPU time data to compare Mantle vs DX? It would have taken the GPU out of the equation and given a much clearer view of each API's performance.

Also would be a neat way to compare AMD's and Nvidia's DX driver >_>

Here's the GPU and CPU in isolation, top results are GPU, bottom results are CPU:

CPU is flipping out, look @ that blue

Ashhong

Oh one more thing. I don't know what I did but my cpu is no longer doing that speedstep mode where it down clocks when idle. I run prime and it's constantly at 4.5ghz now. I reset the bios to default and redid the overclock by changing only the voltage and ratio but still it stays at 4.5 all day

Checked bios and voltage is set to adaptive and the intel speed step is enabled as well

Oh one more thing. I don't know what I did but my cpu is no longer doing that speedstep mode where it down clocks when idle. I run prime and it's constantly at 4.5ghz now. I reset the bios to default and redid the overclock by changing only the voltage and ratio but still it stays at 4.5 all day

Checked bios and voltage is set to adaptive and the intel speed step is enabled as well

Windows power settings bro. Set it to 'balanced'.

This page is upsetting, hope I don't regret switching to Windows 8.
Literally the worst part is the start menu. I didn't even use one of the classic shell mods. I got over the stupid start menu in like a week. I'm actually even starting to like the new start menu, especially once I opened up to it and started using it as they intended to. It actually declutters my desktop.... Other than that, IMO, it runs better than Windows 7. Not to mention avoiding Windows 8 means you're also skipping newest DX versions.

When I set my overclock, I had this same issue racking my brain for literally days. Turns out I had some stupid OS level setting in Power Settings (advanced) that set my minimum processor state to 100%. Make sure that's not happening. It's always the stupid things that get me.

knitoe

This page is upsetting, hope I don't regret switching to Windows 8.
No issues for me. Other than faster boot time, I don't notice any difference from Win 7 vs Win 8 (with Classic Shell).

Windows power settings bro. Set it to 'balanced'.
Yeah. Check Windows Power Option. No, still select 'Performance', but make sure / set CPU processor state is min 10% instead of 100%. 100% means it will run at max speed all the time. If it's already at 10%, check the bios and make sure C1 / C3 / C6 are selected as 'Enable'. Sometimes, being on 'Auto' doesn't work.

Firebrand

Literally the worst part is the start menu. I didn't even use one of the classic shell mods. I got over the stupid start menu in like a week. I'm actually even starting to like the new start menu, especially once I opened up to it and started using it as they intended to. It actually declutters my desktop....
I don't mind the Win 8.1 Start menu that much. Set the Start button to go to Apps directly and have the App screen list Start menu entries first, and it's basically a fullscreen version of the Programs folder with every subfolder expanded.

I haven't touched the rest of the Metro stuff, but neither has it been in my way.

Teddified

Alright looking at getting these parts sometime next month just wondering if anyone has any input. Like something cheaper that would be better, or a part that's not good on the list. I'm basically looking for 1080p and 60fps, so my main concern is choosing between a 760 and 770.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($346.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $766.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-22 23:20 EDT-0400)

I already have 16GB of ram, Hard Drives, and a Case.

Dudes I have a question.

I bought a Deathadder 2013 gaming mouse and it fucked up a bunch of my games. Whenever I start Bioshock Infinite it screws up my controls to where the game spins around once I've started playing. When I'm in the menus there's no mouse cursor unless I hold down one of the buttons and it constantly flickers between the Xbox 360 button instructions and the mouse keyboard button instructions.

What do?

Uninstalled the mouse drivers. Uninstalled/reinstalled the game. Uninstalled/reinstalled the XBox 360 controller drivers. What gives?

Panzon

Not sure I'm getting the best performance out of my GPU thus far. I've tried Arkham City and Tomb Raider and the benchmarks online are much better than what I'm getting @ maxed settings. I'm only doing 1080p and get lower fps than people doing 1440p. What gives?

CPU is Overclocked at 4.2 hz (i7 4770k)

Not sure I'm getting the best performance out of my GPU thus far. I've tried Arkham City and Tomb Raider and the benchmarks online are much better than what I'm getting @ maxed settings. I'm only doing 1080p and get lower fps than people doing 1440p. What gives?

CPU is Overclocked at 4.2 hz (i7 4770k)

What are you getting on Tomb Raider? Also, if you can have GPU-Z log GPU clocks while you run the bench, that would be great.

Panzon

What are you getting on Tomb Raider? Also, if you can have GPU-Z log GPU clocks while you run the bench, that would be great.
Don't know what GPU Z is but I'm getting ~58fps Avg on ultra and max settings.,I know its still a good number but I guess I was expecting a lot more out of those games. I'm using my 40 in TV for now so IDK if that has anything to do with it

jfoul

I might just pull the trigger on the Gigabyte R9 290 for $356 deal.

No 20 nm GPUs from AMD This Year

Snippet:
AMD senior vice-president Lisa Su, responding to a question by Wells Fargo, in its Q1 investors call, confirmed that her company will stay on 28 nm throughout 2014, and it's only later that it will move on to 20 nm, and FinFET after that. "I think what I said earlier sort of what we're doing in terms of technology strategy, we are 28 this year, we have 20-nanometer in design, and then FinFET thereafter. So that's the overall product portfolio," she said.

Yep. You should plug it into the Intel 6GB/S controller and entirely disable the Marvell controller.

This is totally weird. I'm unfamiliar with Win 8 and general system resource usage. Still on 7 on all of my machines.

The crash sounds like a display driver failing though. Is your videocard overclocked?

Sorry for the potentially dumb question but is there a way to identify the Intel 6GB/S port? I have someone helping me as I physically cannot plug in cables.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Solid. I'd suggest the Gigabyte GHz edition 780 if it's right around $500 over the EVGA. Also the VG248QE over the Dell U2412M. Upgrade it with G-Sync down the line. Until then, bask in the glory of true next gen 120/144Hz.

Totally forgot to ask, but do you think I'll have any problems clearing the Corsair Vengeance ram with the Evo 212? If I do have problems, how should I orient the Evo 212? Only thing I can think of is having it pull towards the GPU. Would that be really bad? Or is the fan adjustable?

lmpaler

Firing up some AC4 finally and cranked all the settings to the highest and watched my fps drop. After some tweaking I realized it was the PHSYX actually fucking with my game. It was choppy and frame spikes galore. Turned it off and it runs buttery smooth with very low latency.

Here is the kicker. I prefer vsync on my single player as I dislike tearing, I prefer the immersion. With it off it is locked at 60 fps, but with it on it drop to 30 yet my HDTV is 60HZ. Odd game this one, but now I must rest and tomorrow I will dive into the game and see if it is actually any good.

Also TXAA is complete shit. How does NVidia think it is okay to realease this dribble?

fozzy

Well my beautiful pc is fucked from trying to install 8.1. Only boots to a blank screen with no cursor. Can only boot in safe mode. Fuck my life.

riflen

Well my beautiful pc is fucked from trying to install 8.1. Only boots to a blank screen with no cursor. Can only boot in safe mode. Fuck my life.

Were you upgrading? This problem is known to be caused by drivers not designed for 8.1. If you have a Steelseries mouse, uninstall all the software and see if it boots normally.

riflen

Asked a few pages ago but got no response. What is the best way to benchmark? I have a few steam games I wanna bench just yo have the experience for myself

Weren't you asking about Arkham City? Pretty sure it has a benchmark built right into the game. Easiest way for most games is to use FRAPS.

fozzy

Were you upgrading? This problem is known to be caused by drivers not designed for 8.1. If you have a Steelseries mouse, uninstall all the software and see if it boots normally.

Yeah straight from 7. I have a Logitech mouse. My second display wasn't showing up on display clone so I tried reinstalling the latest nvidia display drivers. I don't think they installed properly.

I might just pull the trigger on the Gigabyte R9 290 for $356 deal.

No 20 nm GPUs from AMD This Year

Snippet:
AMD senior vice-president Lisa Su, responding to a question by Wells Fargo, in its Q1 investors call, confirmed that her company will stay on 28 nm throughout 2014, and it's only later that it will move on to 20 nm, and FinFET after that. "I think what I said earlier sort of what we're doing in terms of technology strategy, we are 28 this year, we have 20-nanometer in design, and then FinFET thereafter. So that's the overall product portfolio," she said.
Where is it on sale for $356?

Help me PC-Gaf!

I just got a new processor and motherboard (i5 and some good reviewed motherboard)

I'm upgrading from a X4 955 BE (AMD - AM3) Was reading up online how to correctly install it in regards to windows.

I read conflicting things though, some saying I have to do a clean install of windows with a new mobo and some saying I just need to update drivers.

Which is correct? I'd hate to have to wipe my windows install since I have a TON of stuff and slow download speeds to get it back.

LilJoka

Help me PC-Gaf!

I just got a new processor and motherboard (i5 and some good reviewed motherboard)

I'm upgrading from a X4 955 BE (AMD - AM3) Was reading up online how to correctly install it in regards to windows.

I read conflicting things though, some saying I have to do a clean install of windows with a new mobo and some saying I just need to update drivers.

Which is correct? I'd hate to have to wipe my windows install since I have a TON of stuff and slow download speeds to get it back.

I would highly advise doing a clean install, but you can try and boot your existing installation with new hardware. It may work or may BSOD. If it works you can install the missing drivers. But still wouldn't recommend it.

I would highly advise doing a clean install, but you can try and boot your existing installation with new hardware. It may work or may BSOD. If it works you can install the missing drivers. But still wouldn't recommend it.

If it does't work and BSOD would it cause any damage or is it worth trying first, then fresh install if it doesn't?

LilJoka

If it does't work and BSOD would it cause any damage or is it worth trying first, then fresh install if it doesn't?

Nope it won't cause any damage, it would boot perfectly afterwards with your original hardware. Definatly try it if you really don't want to fresh install.

Rainy Dog

Whilst waiting on all the new bits to do a new reinstall I've been pondering over whether I might benefit or even need a new motherboard for a GTX 680.

Current board is a micro-ATX Asus P8Z77-M (non-Pro) which has coped with my i7 3770k at 4.2GHz and slightly overclocked Radeon 7800 just fine for a couple of years.

Will it be alright for a GTX 680, though? I've always heard that mATX boards aren't recommended for higher end GPU's.

riflen

Whilst waiting on all the new bits to do a new reinstall I've been pondering over whether I might benefit or even need a new motherboard for a GTX 680.

Current board is a micro-ATX Asus P8Z77-M (non-Pro) which has coped with my i7 3770k at 4.2GHz and slightly overclocked Radeon 7800 just fine for a couple of years.

Will it be alright for a GTX 680, though? I've always heard that mATX boards aren't recommended for higher end GPU's.

Nonsense.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I finally decided to put in a warranty claim for my Palit Windforce GTX670 2Gb as I'm pretty sure it's the culprit for my sound cutting-out issues. I wrote a very detailed breakdown on my warranty request stating that I wasn't 100% it's the graphics card and would be open to suggestions otherwise but they sent me a RA form regardless so I'll take it to the post office tomorrow and send it to them.Due to its age I'm guessing they'll have to replace it, right? Am I correct in assuming the Palit Windforce GTX770 4gb is the modern equivalent? It's cheaper than what I paid for my 670.

Since I'll be without a card for a while my question is this: How do I set-up and use the internal graphics chip in my pc? I have a 3570K (OC'd to 4.4Ghz) and Gigabyte G1-Sniper3 Motherboard. I'm guessing that'll be enough to hook up to my home theatre processor and to use it to browse the net, watch Crunchyroll and play Spelunky?

Cheers.

riflen

Cheers. That'll do for me.

I remember looking into it a bit at the time of buying and coming away with that all I was sacrificing with the mATX was space and a PCI-E slot that I'd never need as I certainly never plan to SLI .

mATX will gain you space (I think this is what you meant). Bigger boards can provide more features and ports, generally speaking, but this isn't always the case. There are micro ATX boards that are intended to support SLI and work fine with even the fastest GPUs. I use a mATX board and 2 x GTX 780 Ti in SLI.

Since I'll be without a card for a while my question is this: How do I set-up and use the internal graphics chip in my pc? I have a 3570K (OC'd to 4.4Ghz) and Gigabyte G1-Sniper3 Motherboard. I'm guessing that'll be enough to hook up to my home theatre processor and to use it to browse the net, watch Crunchyroll and play Spelunky?

Cheers.

It might be advisable before you remove the GPU, to head into the BIOS and make sure the setting for VGA adapter is set to detect or auto or similar. This may not be necessary though.

Your motherboard provides VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs. Pick one and boot up the machine. Without a discrete GPU installed, the system should detect your display and output on the correct port. I shouldn't think there's much else to it. Head to Gigabyte's site and get the Intel VGA driver for Ivy Bridge.

Rainy Dog

mATX will gain you space (I think this is what you meant). Bigger boards can provide more features and ports, generally speaking, but this isn't always the case. There are micro ATX boards that are intended to support SLI and work fine with even the fastest GPUs. I use a mATX board and 2 x GTX 780 Ti in SLI.

No sorry, I meant sacrificing space on the motherboard itself thus making installation a bit trickier and not having as many slots and sockets.

Good to hear you're running SLI 780 Ti's on an mATX board anyway. I'll gladly forget the idea that I'd have anything to worry about then!

HoosTrax

Corsair 80i has been giving me huge headaches for the past few weeks. I can't tell if the problem is due to one of the pump cable wires getting loose and coming out of the socket, or due to a kink in the tubing due to the cramped interior. I just know that the water isn't circulating properly, and the CPU keeps locking up due to overheating.

Finally tossed the Intel stock cooler onto it last night as a temporary stopgap (and it's both far quieter and cools a lot better at stock than the dodgy 80i). I'm kind of inclined just to get a good aircooler for my Prodigy and use the 80i for open bench stuff once I'm confident it's not a wire problem.

I wonder what my options are for an aircooler if I have a pathological hatred for tan+brown colored fans...(can you attach normal case fans to the Noctua coolers?)

LilJoka

Corsair 80i has been giving me huge headaches for the past few weeks. I can't tell if the problem is due to one of the pump cable wires getting loose and coming out of the socket, or due to a kink in the tubing due to the cramped interior. I just know that the water isn't circulating properly, and the CPU keeps locking up due to overheating.

Finally tossed the Intel stock cooler onto it last night as a temporary stopgap (and it's both far quieter and cools a lot better at stock than the dodgy 80i). I'm kind of inclined just to get a good aircooler for my Prodigy and use the 80i for open bench stuff once I'm confident it's not a wire problem.

I wonder what my options are for an aircooler if I have a pathological hatred for tan+brown colored fans...(can you attach normal case fans to the Noctua coolers?)

Use the Corsair Link Software to determine if the pump is working. Just hook up the USB from the block to the motherboard and plug in the SATA power to the H80i. Open up Corsair Link, if the pump RPM is below 2000RPM its probably the fault.

Yes you can use other fans on Noctuas. What CPU do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom