• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys do with your old PC's? I was thinking about giving my current one to a buddy of mine, but he is moving away in July and I probably won't build a new PC before that. I may just give this one to my parents.

Wanna know that too.
I feel like building a completely new rig, but my current one is capable of everything I want it to be, so it woulda be a waste to build a new one o:

Schryver

What do you guys do with your old PC's? I was thinking about giving my current one to a buddy of mine, but he is moving away in July and I probably won't build a new PC before that. I may just give this one to my parents.

When I build my new one in 8-12 months I was thinking of putting my old PC parts into as small a case I can so that its easy to take to LAN parties. Also might use it as a media center or something.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm finally building a new desktop since the piece of shit (E8400 w/ Radeon HD4850 loooooool) is showing early signs of terminal failure. I've tentatively put this together what I'm thinking of replacing it with:

CPU - i5-4670
MB - AsRock H81M-DGS
VGA - GTX 750 Ti 2GB
RAM - GSkill RipJawX 1600 8GB
SSD - Samsung EVO 840 120GB
HDD - WD Blue 1TB

Are there any obvious downsides to any of the selection? I'm not sure if the extra cost for the 4670k is worth it if I never plan on overclocking my CPU ever. Same with the motherboard - it's the cheapest of the range, and looking at the specs I don't see an obvious reason to spend more for features I wouldn't be using. This has the 6gb/s SATA3 slots I need, which was basically the only thing I was seriously looking at. Is there a better pick for a videocard at the 750Ti range for better performance? I'm not sure if I trust ATI stuff anymore. My Radeons have had a history of heat issues, and I keep hearing bad things about ATI drivers. Has anything changed on that front in recent years?

Thanks!
IMO the $30 on the mobo and CPU is worth it since it's about a 20% cost increase and will keep the CPU honestly faster than anything that will be released in the next 3-4 years if you OC. To me that's far too high a value proposition to pass on (Especially since you can overclock on stock voltage).

If you are set on not overclocking then that's just about the perfect budget machine.

Josman

I think you're a little mixed up here. There is a Haswell refresh (socket 1150) due in a few weeks. Read about preliminary details: http://techreport.com/news/26317/here-are-the-specs-and-prices-for-intel-haswell-refresh-cpus

The price of current Haswell CPUs will not drop much, if at all. Currently a 3570k can cost more than a 4670k.

Then there is Haswell-E (socket 2011), due probably in June/July which is a different beast altogether. 6/8 cores, 40 PCI-e lanes, DDR4 memory. The price for Haswell-E CPU/board/RAM will probably start at ~$900.

What? I had it all wrong then, thought it was a new socket, Haswell-E being the refresh with added DDR4 support, also you're right, the 3570k is more expensive on Amazon atm.

The problem is that I'm from Mexico, generally every component we buy here is imported from the US and the cost is always the MSRP + 15%% tax + international delivery charges, if the refresh is the same or lower MSRP of the 4670k, then I will wait.

Just to add 1 more: SSD, all the way. I semi-recently switched from a WD Green that failed to that same EVO and it changed everything. Best decision ever.

Get both, SSD for system and maybe steam and a few games with everything else pointing to the large magnetic drive. You will not regret it, the speed is amazing. I put an SSD in my i7 after I had a normal spinning drive and I can never go back!

I guess it's settled then :)

SSD first, HDD down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv5dCXiXFaw

Coming from an old AMD E-350 laptop, the upgrade will feel MASSIVE.

Ashhong

Something has to be wrong with my computer. I just installed Crysis 3, and when it loads, the screen keeps minimizing and freezing everytime I try to bring the game to the front. It just flashes and then minimizes to the desktop, similar to how Counter Strike was. I feel like it will work fine if I can get it to run in windowed mode. Does it have to do wiht my graphics card or drivers?

Is the below benchmark for my SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD any good?

To be honest sinced I got it I've never been impressed by the boot performance, it takes 40 seconds to get to the Windows 7 desktop after I power on my PC with the boot GUI disabled, is that normal?

Outside of booting everything is crazy fast so I'm not sure whether I'm worrying over nothing.

SSD Benchmark by Deaf Spacker, on Flickr

Sorry for the slight bump but can plugging the SSD into Marvell have a negative effect on the performance?

Rubius

Guys, do you have any tip for scratched LCD screen? My mother came and tried to clean my room by dusting and scratched my screen with a swiffer type of thing. The scratch is screen wide on the bottom and mostly show up on white. It's not ruined, but I still ordered a second screen that I wanted earlier that I wanted.

I used some petrolium jelly and it did mask the scratch a little bit but it's still visible a little. I wont notice it when playing but it's still a little annoying.

kennah

Ok - so I know that Kingston is shitty with their new drives, but if I were putting into a Sata2 system would it have a bad impact?

Hmmm, I see. I might just wait a few weeks and see if anyone does benchmarks, i have 72 days untill my eligibility expires anyways.

The extra memory isn't for increased performance in the here and now it's to give your card better longevity. If you plan to keep this card for at least 18 months then snap up the deal asap.

Something has to be wrong with my computer. I just installed Crysis 3, and when it loads, the screen keeps minimizing and freezing everytime I try to bring the game to the front. It just flashes and then minimizes to the desktop, similar to how Counter Strike was. I feel like it will work fine if I can get it to run in windowed mode. Does it have to do wiht my graphics card or drivers?

Maybe it's set at a resolution your monitor can't display. I've had this issue with a few games. I had to go into the configuration file and set my monitor's native resolution. (I have a 1050p 16:10 monitor)

mkenyon

Banned
I give mine away generally.
Windows 8.1 N 64bit

It all started happening today. Ive been playing League fine the past few days and now this

I dont understand...I never got memory issues in Windows 7 64bit with 8gigs of ram, which is the reason why I went with only 8gb for this new build
Yeah, you've got some major issues going on. I'm not sure what either.

Stubo

Windows 8.1 N 64bit

It all started happening today. Ive been playing League fine the past few days and now this

I dont understand...I never got memory issues in Windows 7 64bit with 8gigs of ram, which is the reason why I went with only 8gb for this new build
Have you looked in your processes to see what's using the majority of the ram? That's crazy usage!

Ashhong

Maybe it's set at a resolution your monitor can't display. I've had this issue with a few games. I had to go into the configuration file and set my monitor's native resolution. (I have a 1050p 16:10 monitor)

Nope..it's set at 1680x1050. I am running a dual monitor setup, where the second monitor is a lame smaller size. Could that cause issues? It never did on my old Windows 7..

I give mine away generally.

Yeah, you've got some major issues going on. I'm not sure what either.

Any chance it's because of either Windows N or 8.1?

Have you looked in your processes to see what's using the majority of the ram? That's crazy usage!

Yea, nothing too out of the ordinary. I do have about 20 tabs open in Chrome but that's normal for me.

Just now the screen stayed black and I had to force shut down. It had the DVI logo on the top which indicates no signal to me. I don't know what's going on. My comp ran Prime95 fine for like an hour so it can't be my overclock..maybe I need to give it more voltage? It's at 1.28v for a 4.45ghz OC on 4670k..

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry for the slight bump but can plugging the SSD into Marvell have a negative effect on the performance?
Yep. You should plug it into the Intel 6GB/S controller and entirely disable the Marvell controller.
Any chance it's because of either Windows N or 8.1?

Just now the screen stayed black and I had to force shut down. It had the DVI logo on the top which indicates no signal to me. I don't know what's going on. My comp ran Prime95 fine for like an hour so it can't be my overclock..maybe I need to give it more voltage? It's at 1.28v for a 4.45ghz OC on 4670k..
This is totally weird. I'm unfamiliar with Win 8 and general system resource usage. Still on 7 on all of my machines.

The crash sounds like a display driver failing though. Is your videocard overclocked?

Ashhong

Yep. You should plug it into the Intel 6GB/S controller and entirely disable the Marvell controller.

This is totally weird. I'm unfamiliar with Win 8 and general system resource usage. Still on 7 on all of my machines.

The crash sounds like a display driver failing though. Is your videocard overclocked?

Forgot about that, yea it is. Not much though. 950mhz/1400. I'll try defaults

Ashhong

But the thing is, when I get that error message, I still have 1.8 gb available! You can see it in my picture above

edit: 1.5

8wUsIub.png

Rafy

I don't know if this has been already posted but here you go anyways:

VR-Zone today revealed that both the "Devil’s Canyon" and Pentium parts will be launched on June 2, 2014.

Additionally, VR-Zone confirmed May 11 launch date of "Haswell Refresh" desktop products.

New motherboards, designed around H97 and Z97 9-series chipsets, will be also introduced on May 11.
devils-canyon1.png

Link: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2014/...Canyon_unlocked_CPUs_to_launch_on_June_2.html

So looks like this has been confirmed by VR-Zone

Windows 8 and 8.1 are riddled with all sorts of ridiculous massive errors. My friend has a computer that will constantly crash in Windows 8.1 while gaming. We tried almost everything we could think of to mitigate software, driver, bios, and hardware issues. Only thing that completely fixed the problem was switching back to windows 7. Aside from all the interface and design issues I have with it, it seems no where near as stable. I plan to ride out windows 7 till windows 9 SP1 if possible.

EDIT: Stupid auto correct *facepalm* I'm home now.

Ashhong

Ok, so now i know what committed memory is....but how do I fix it lol

Windows 8 and 8.1 are riddled with all sorts of ridiculous massive errors. My friend has a computer that will constantly crash in Windows 8.1 while gaming. We tried almost everything we could think of to mitigate software, drive, bios, and hardware issues. Only thing that completely fixed the problem was switching back to windows 7. Aside from all the interface and design issues I have with it, it seems no where near as stable. I play to ride out windows 7 till windows 9 SP1 if possible.

Yea I'm really hoping it's a Windows 8 thing. I would have gone with 7 but everyone in this thread said 8 is great for gaming now T_T

mkenyon

Banned

Yea I'm really hoping it's a Windows 8 thing. I would have gone with 7 but everyone in this thread said 8 is great for gaming now T_T
Haz and myself both still use Win 7. Just sayin'

But please get a screenshot of Resource Monitor - Memory, rather than Task Manager.
How can people on reddit afford to give away keys so cheap and how do they get so many?
Does Microsoft care?
Most likely student deals on MSDN accounts or just cheap student keys.

Microsoft doesn't give a shit about consumer usage, and long ago declared they've abandoned enforcing any of it on that side.

I DEFINITELY had a memory leak when I installed Windows 8.1 on my PC. It really reared it's ugly head after a day or two of uptime. I was sitting at damn near 100% memory usage after a day or two of my pc being on.

Turns out, it was some stupid and basically unnecessary network driver Microsoft included with Windows 8. I had to manually disable it and fix the registry. I don't think it's a widespread issue either so don't be alarmed that nobody else has this issue. I attributed it to my stupid Killer Network adapter incompatibility.

I'm afraid I'm not much use right now looking for the exact fix I found since I'm on mobile and at work. But Google it and I bet you're having the same issue. Your absurd CPU usage for Outlook has something to do with it too.

Haz and myself both still use Win 7. Just sayin'

After the awful changes to the UI and functionality of the desktop interface, removal of shadow copy, and countless random issues, I will be kicking and screaming if I have to switch to a just as awful Windows 9. The overall stability of Windows 7 is what keeps me on it, just like XP before it. An OS is supposed to set up an environment to run programs then get out of the way. What does Microsoft not get?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Heya Gaf,

Finally building a PC for myself and selling my PS4. Whatcha guys think? I'd prefer to buy things at Amazon if possible since I have a lot of credit with them. I don't have a microcenter nearby.

CPU: 4670k ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo ($31.98 @ Amazon). Might have to change this since Amazon doesn't have it in stock. =(
Motherboard + Ram Bundle: GA-Z87N-Wifi + Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 ($167.78 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB (have already)
Video Card: Asus GTX 770 2GB ($319.99 - $10 rebate @ Amazon)
OR
EVGA GTX 780 3GB ($509.99 - $20 rebate @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W ($79.99 @ Amazon)
OS: Windows 8.1 ($10-$20 at Reddit). Is Windows 8.1 really better than 7?
Monitor: Dell U2412M ($268.99 @ Amazon)

Panzon

Asked a few pages ago but got no response. What is the best way to benchmark? I have a few steam games I wanna bench just yo have the experience for myself

mkenyon

Banned
Heya Gaf,

Finally building a PC for myself and selling my PS4. Whatcha guys think? I'd prefer to buy things at Amazon if possible since I have a lot of credit with them. I don't have a microcenter nearby.

CPU: 4670k ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo ($31.98 @ Amazon). Might have to change this since Amazon doesn't have it in stock. =(
Motherboard + Ram Bundle: GA-Z87N-Wifi + Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 ($167.78 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 480GB (have already)
Video Card: Asus GTX 770 2GB ($319.99 - $10 rebate @ Amazon)
OR
EVGA GTX 780 3GB ($509.99 - $20 rebate @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W ($79.99 @ Amazon)
OS: Windows 8.1 ($10-$20 at Reddit). Is Windows 8.1 really better than 7?
Monitor: Dell U2412M ($268.99 @ Amazon)
Solid. I'd suggest the Gigabyte GHz edition 780 if it's right around $500 over the EVGA. Also the VG248QE over the Dell U2412M. Upgrade it with G-Sync down the line. Until then, bask in the glory of true next gen 120/144Hz.
Asked a few pages ago but got no response. What is the best way to benchmark? I have a few steam games I wanna bench just yo have the experience for myself
Do you mean best as in, what is the most precise way for you to measure performance without an FCAT machine? If you want to go down that road, I'll give you all the excel equations you need to deduce frame time numbers. If you just want to see how badass your PC is, run 3DMark Firestrike.

*EDIT* Just going to include them anyway in case.

Get fraps. Click the option that allows you to run frame times. From there, you can use frafs Bench Viewer, or dump the data into Excel. Generally you want to keep the benchmark to under a minute, and make sure it's easily repeatable. Do it at least 6 times.

Now you can view those files with frafs, or if you prefer to dump it into excel, average out the data.

The formula for 99th Percentile is

Code:
=PERCENTILE(X:X, .99)

How to view frames over a given amount, you use

Code:
=COUNTIF(X:X, ">16.7")

You can swap out that 16.7 with any other time you might be interested in.

**EDIT 2***

I almost forgot, it doesn't spit out the frame times, it just stamps at what time each frame was created. So for each line, you need to use an equation that does simple subtraction. Here's a screenshot for an example:

NUxDsyh.png

Column C uses that subtraction formula for each line. You can just copy/pasta it and excel works its magic. I think.

Then you copy that whole column and "Paste Special -> Values Only" in order to have it work properly on charts.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Solid. I'd suggest the Gigabyte GHz edition 780 if it's right around $500 over the EVGA. Also the VG248QE over the Dell U2412M. Upgrade it with G-Sync down the line. Until then, bask in the glory of true next gen 120/144Hz.

Thank you for the awesome build guide and the help! I will definitely get the VG248QE and check out the Gigabyte GHz edition 780. Is it worth $30 more than the EVGA (costs $10 + no rebate)? I won't need to look into OCing the card, right? I'm pretty new to OCing--and building PCs in general. Also, its says a 600w PSU is recommended. Should I change my PSU too?

One more question: Newegg has the Hyper 212 Plus on sale for $19.99 after rebate. Should I get that instead of the Evo?

Panzon

Do you mean best as in, what is the most precise way for you to measure performance without an FCAT machine? If you want to go down that road, I'll give you all the excel equations you need to deduce frame time numbers.
No the latter but this is good to know as well.

If you just want to see how badass your PC is, run 3DMark Firestrike.

*EDIT* Just going to include them anyway in case.

Get fraps. Click the option that allows you to run frame times. From there, you can use frafs Bench Viewer, or dump the data into Excel. Generally you want to keep the benchmark to under a minute, and make sure it's easily repeatable. Do it at least 6 times.

Now you can view those files with frafs, or if you prefer to dump it into excel, average out the data.

The formula for 99th Percentile is

Code:
=PERCENTILE(X:X, .99)

How to view frames over a given amount, you use

Code:
=COUNTIF(X:X, ">16.7")

You can swap out that 16.7 with any other time you might be interested in.

**EDIT 2***

I almost forgot, it doesn't spit out the frame times, it just stamps at what time each frame was created. So for each line, you need to use an equation that does simple subtraction. Here's a screenshot for an example:

YE7jdKA.png

Column C uses that subtraction formula for each line. You can just copy/pasta it and excel works its magic. I think.
This will do. Thanks a lot. Gonna try in a few when I get home

Syncytia

Trying to decide if I should sell my 780. Going to be gone until September and with the rumors of the 800 series coming out I'm unsure if it'd be worth it. I don't need the money or anything but I'm not sure if lower prices due to new cards would make it worth it for me to sell now and buy another card in ~5 months. If the 780TI goes down enough I might go for that. I'll be selling on eBay so there's that 10% fee too... high end cards don't go down more than $40-$50 over 5 months and the release of new cards do they? Alternatively, does anyone think that after the 800s release and 5 months that 780TI will be at $500 or less, used? Right now on eBay there are a number that have sold under $600.

I just don't have the experience to confidently make this decision myself. This isn't really about it coming out equal in the end, I just feel like I shouldn't leave something that will may depreciate a decent amount sitting for so long when I will not be able to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom