• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Never selling, wayyyyyyy too much work to get those cards in there. My build is finally almost nearly done. Like 2 cables left to sleeve and then a good OC session then I will seal everything with super glue, bronze the computer and put it on my (non-existent) mantle.

Thanks, I am hoping to stick with this build for as long as possible.

The CM 10keyless is awesome. Mine has a green LED backlight, which I wish were blue or red, but I guess it makes sense CM put a green backlight on a board with green switches. I like having the extra space on my desk since this is about 2/3 the size of a normal keyboard and I still have the same functionality of the 10 keys cut out if I toggle my Num lock on and off. The build quality of the keyboard is excellent and the keys are a dream tot type with.

I recommend trying out the CM Storm demo board found here http://www.cmstore-usa.com/mechanical-key-switch-demo-board/ if you are not sure which switch type you want. I was convinced I wanted MX Brown switches from my research on the web until I tried out this demo unit and realized I preferred green switches much more.
Wow sounds good. I guess I'll just hop into some stores and try out different switch types, that'll do it just fine hehe

I'm just curious as to why OP has the F3/F4 Samsung HDDs as bad now? Are the newer ones bad or is it because Seagate doesn't support them? I had one die a few years ago when Seagate bought them out and Seagate wouldn't replace it despite it being clearly under manufacturer warranty. Newegg actually sent me a brand new one instead and it was well over a year past their warranty which was cool. I never used it though. It's still wrapped in plastic. I'm just curious are they bad in performance now or something? Because if it's going to save me $60 on a new build I'm going to use it. I plan to get a SSD anyway to go with whatever HDD I use.

kennah

The new ones are just shitty rebranded Seagate drives instead of being the same as the Samsung ones from before.

But all hard drives are bad now. It sucks. Don't trust any of them.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm just curious as to why OP has the F3/F4 Samsung HDDs as bad now? Are the newer ones bad or is it because Seagate doesn't support them? I had one die a few years ago when Seagate bought them out and Seagate wouldn't replace it despite it being clearly under manufacturer warranty. Newegg actually sent me a brand new one instead and it was well over a year past their warranty which was cool. I never used it though. It's still wrapped in plastic. I'm just curious are they bad in performance now or something? Because if it's going to save me $60 on a new build I'm going to use it. I plan to get a SSD anyway to go with whatever HDD I use.
Seagate was selling them as SAMSUNG drives when they were actually SEAGATE drives.
Difference in everything was so vast it was absurd.

Akira

Built my first PC ever last night. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. After 4 hours of sweat and cursing, I pushed the power button to witness... nothing. I was defeated, feeling like I wasted a $1000 on a brick. I must've shorted the motherboard or CPU, I thought. I cursed myself again for building in my carpeted bed room. It was already past 1am and I had to wake up for work in a few hours. I resigned myself to bed, wallowing in the scattered static-free plastic bags, assortment of screws and wires, and half-ripped boxes of forgotten components.

Looking longingly at the open case, its tangled mess of cables mocking me, an idea flickered in my head. I walked over to the case, feet still heavy with resentment, unplugged the power, grounded my hands on metal, flipped over the tiny connector with the label "POWER SW" and put it back in. I plugged the PC again, pressed the power, and --whirr. The lovely sight of the fans spinning and that ever so gentle whirr that purred for me. I would have cried tears of joy had I not wasted it on sweat and muttered curses. I had two thoughts -- one: worth and two: never again. Never again.

Seagate was selling them as SAMSUNG drives when they were actually SEAGATE drives.
When did Seagate buy their SSDs? Never heard of that. But also never cared about HDD business..
I've been running 2 F3s 1TB since late '10 without a problem. Are those old Samsungs or new Seagates?

LilJoka

Built my first PC ever last night. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. After 4 hours of sweat and cursing, I pushed the power button to witness... nothing. I was defeated, feeling like I wasted a $1000 on a brick. I must've shorted the motherboard or CPU, I thought. I cursed myself again for building in my carpeted bed room. It was already past 1am and I had to wake up for work in a few hours. I resigned myself to bed, wallowing in the scattered static-free plastic bags, assortment of screws and wires, and half-ripped boxes of forgotten components.

Looking longingly at the open case, its tangled mess of cables mocking me, an idea flickered in my head. I walked over to the case, feet still heavy with resentment, unplugged the power, grounded my hands on metal, flipped over the tiny connector with the label "POWER SW" and put it back in. I plugged the PC again, pressed the power, and --whirr. The lovely sight of the fans spinning and that ever so gentle whirr that purred for me. I would have cried tears of joy had I not wasted it on sweat and muttered curses. I had two thoughts -- one: worth and two: never again. Never again.

Switches dont have polarity lol Maybe you plugged it one pin off the mark.

The new ones are just shitty rebranded Seagate drives instead of being the same as the Samsung ones from before.

But all hard drives are bad now. It sucks. Don't trust any of them.

That sucks. I was always a big fan of the Samsung Spinpoint drives, never had a bad experience.

Your first build ended up like mine, but in the exact same way. Screwed up on the Power-connector and was mad and sad, angry and everything the whole night. Heard of many people who had the same problem. Nowadays it's one of the first things I recommend checking when it won't boot haha

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

That's odd since the POWER connector should work either way. (Right? Since shorting it with a screwdriver starts the system? Am I crazy?)
GJ though!
When did Seagate buy their SSDs? Never heard of that. But also never cared about HDD business..
I've been running 2 F3s 1TB since late '10 without a problem. Are those old Samsungs or new Seagates?
Samsung only sold their HDD business. Their SSDs use their own controllers and NAND.

That's odd since the POWER connector should work either way. (Right? Since shorting it with a screwdriver starts the system? Am I crazy?)
GJ though!

Samsung only sold their HDD business. Their SSDs use their own controllers and NAND.

No you're not, tried it once too, just cause I wanted to see if it really works. But wouldn't do that for every day usage hahaha

Ah I see, guess that's why there are almost no Samsung branded HDDs around..

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Phanteks Enthoo Pro on HW Canucks YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

$100 supposedly. This thing is pretty amazing for the price.

Holy freakin hell. That is beautiful. And for that price!

Any word on airflow through the case? I might just pick this up to prep for my future build.

edit: It seems like it's pretty damn good. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/05/06/phanteks-enthoo-pro-review/1

edit2: It doesn't seem to be available in the states yet :/

can someone look this over? suggestions welcome...this will be my 1st build
i'm trying to stay under 1k, i've already purchased the 770

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3DATz
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3DATz/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3DATz/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($181.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($88.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.28 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $914.95

kharma45

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.94 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.28 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card ($339.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Micro Center)

Better going for an i5 for gaming, and the Corsair PSU isn't great.

Have a look at this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X 3D ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $933.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-06 16:41 EDT-0400)

Enough money to stick in an SSD too and still say under $1K. Different case if you prefer too, was just trying to cut some costs initially.

LilJoka

No you're not, tried it once too, just cause I wanted to see if it really works. But wouldn't do that for every day usage hahaha

Ah I see, guess that's why there are almost no Samsung branded HDDs around..

Lol we used to do this at work all the time. No time to plug in those connectors when working on benches. Does no harm.

mkenyon

Banned

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $941.19
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-06 16:47 EDT-0400)

It's a bit more, but the 8350 can't even compete with the first gen Core series of processors, and was left well behind with the 2500K. It's not even a contest now. It will perform much more smoothly. The 280x is a tad more powerful than the 770 at that clockspeed, and should stay relevant longer with a larger memory bandwidth and 3GB of VRAM.

*edit*

I like Kharma's list more. Though I like the BitFenix Comrade over the Source 210.
Holy freakin hell. That is beautiful. And for that price!

Any word on airflow through the case? I might just pick this up to prep for my future build.
Airflow will be great.

-------------------------------

After months and months of looking at it, but not really having a system to put in it, I bit on the Air 540 for a secondary LAN rig, as well as some fans.

ZT4ZcKU.png

They'll be going with this motherboard:

vI5XxXEl.jpg

and an R9-290, all under water. I'm thinking I'll probably mod the case to hell and back. With all the orange, maybe I'll do a GAF themed build :p

LilJoka

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $941.19
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-06 16:47 EDT-0400)

It's a bit more, but the 8350 can't even compete with the first gen Core series of processors, and was left well behind with the 2500K. It's not even a contest now. It will perform much more smoothly. The 280x is a tad more powerful than the 770 at that clockspeed, and should stay relevant longer with a larger memory bandwidth and 3GB of VRAM.

*edit*

I like Kharma's list more. Though I like the BitFenix Comrade over the Source 210.

Airflow will be great.

Heres how I would do it
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3F8sV

R9 280X is a good idea with the 3GB VRAM too.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3F8ye

thanks for the suggestions guys...i've been so on the fence about the 8350 and almost everyone has said get the i5, so i think i'm gonna pick it up tomorrow after work

Akira

Switches dont have polarity lol Maybe you plugged it one pin off the mark.

Yeah I think this is what happened.

I installed the OS, the only thing I have to do is get the wireless adapter to work and also figure out how to install my secondary HDD.

I should probably ask: how should I install the HDD? Do I have to do anything with the BIOS? I briefly tried connecting the already-inserted HDD and turned on the system. But in Windows the HDD was not recognized. Figured it was an easy fix that I could try when I get home tonight.

Ah, okay. So the older ones before Seagate bought them is still good then? That's not surprising at all to me considering how they treated me under warranty after they bought Samsung out. Partly why I really don't want to deal with any Seagate projects if they have customer service like that.

Basically what the others said, but why ATX? I'd go for a mATX build and a smaller case.

Yeah I think this is what happened.

I installed the OS, the only thing I have to do is get the wireless adapter to work and also figure out how to install my secondary HDD.

I should probably ask: how should I install the HDD? Do I have to do anything with the BIOS? I briefly tried connecting the already-inserted HDD and turned on the system. But in Windows the HDD was not recognized. Figured it was an easy fix that I could try when I get home tonight.
Disk-manager in Windows7

//
In case you don't know how to get there, here's a usefull link. Go to step 5 and look at the img.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265764-32-guide-installed-disk-system

mkenyon

Banned
Basically what the others said, but why ATX? I'd go for a mATX build and a smaller case.
If you're counting pennies, every little bit helps. As it is, the low budget ATX motherboards seem to be cheaper than the mATX alternatives at the moment. Though, I always gloss over the ASRock boards, I can't help it.

If you're counting pennies, every little bit helps. As it is, the low budget ATX motherboards seem to be cheaper than the mATX alternatives at the moment. Though, I always gloss over the ASRock boards, I can't help it.

Sure, but he wants to stay under 1k, and the current rig is about 950$, so there'd be a little left to spend on a mATX case and board. Should be worth the few bucks.

Also, +1 for the NeoGAF themed build idea.

When does this happen? Which fans? All? Only GPU? Only CPU? Only the case fans?
C'mon, we need some info to help you

It seems very random. When the computer is idle or when I'm playing Dark Souls 2.

And it sounds like every single fan is blowing as hard as possible.

I think it started when I installed my H60 a few months ago. It only happened once so I didn't think twice about it but it's been happening frequently the past couple of days

mkenyon

Banned
It seems very random. When the computer is idle or when I'm playing Dark Souls 2.

And it sounds like every single fan is blowing as hard as possible.

I think it started when I installed my H60 a few months ago. It only happened once so I didn't think twice about it but it's been happening frequently the past couple of days
When it happens, try to get a look in the case so you can isolate what fans are doing this.

Also, plug your H60 directly into molex power rather than a fan header.

kiyomi

Would it be safe to assume SSDs aren't usually DOA? I can jump on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB for £82. I'm building in early/mid June. Should I bite or wait?

`The IN WIN 904 and 901 are amazing looking modern minimalistic cases.

We need more designs that have these aesthetics. It seems that these cases have some problems in the design though.

The way they use the glass is great. I think less people will buy apple if case manufactureres and other hardware vendors step their aesthetics game up and design some timeless designs. Easier said than done.

And what I want personally, is something that takes the sleek, modern, minimalistic but more edgy than fractal design, but not crazy, but perhaps with some little illumination or at least option for it. More subtle though. Less intrusive. And much better cable management.

I love this trend of getting the desktop back on the desk. Computers are like cars. They are amazing customized individual works of achievement. Amazing tools that give joy to people, and they deserve to be admired and appreciated on the desk. Like a good looking TV or a painting.

kharma45

Would it be safe to assume SSDs aren't usually DOA? I can jump on a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB for £82. I'm building in early/mid June. Should I bite or wait?

Prices are starting to trend down again but who's to say what they'll do by then. SSDs generally don't often come DOA in my experience.

mkenyon

Banned
`The IN WIN 904 and 901 are amazing looking modern minimalistic cases.

We need more designs that have these aesthetics. It seems that these cases have some problems in the design though.

The way they use the glass is great. I think less people will buy apple if case manufactureres and other hardware vendors step their aesthetics game up and design some timeless designs. Easier said than done.

And what I want personally, is something that takes the sleek, modern, minimalistic but more edgy than fractal design, but not crazy, but perhaps with some little illumination or at least option for it. More subtle though. Less intrusive. And much better cable management.

I love this trend of getting the desktop back on the desk. Computers are like cars. They are amazing customized individual works of achievement. Amazing tools that give joy to people, and they deserve to be admired and appreciated on the desk. Like a good looking TV or a painting.
Like these?

kiyomi

Prices are starting to trend down again but who's to say what they'll do by then. SSDs generally don't often come DOA in my experience.

Yeah, that's kind of my biggest concern - this could be £75 by the time I'm ready to build. Argh.

It's just.. so.. tempting..

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is furmark still considered dangerous? Seems like at one point I remember nvidia/amd making their cards/drivers detect when it was running and then throttling down the clocks.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Cool, I finally got around to overclocking my evga reference 780 ti and it seems stable so far at 1204mhz core, 7300mhz memory. :)
I'll continuing the stress testing today (heaven, evga oc scanner, 3dmark, BF4, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom