• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafy

So I currently have this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€187.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.48 @ Hardwareversand)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (€66.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€64.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (€212.43 @ Hardwareversand)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (€55.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: be quiet! 530W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €806.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 11:28 CEST+0200)

My questions are:
1) Will I need a CPU Cooler? I am not looking to overclock.
2) Are there any parts I could switch out so I can pay less but with a similar result?
3) Is it alright like this? I never built a PC and am really unexperienced with all of this technical stuff.

Also, I added URLs to the product's website if PCPartPicker didn't have it. (No idea if it helps my case.)

You could go for the HyperX Fury instead of the blu and get them at 1600 instead of 1333.
Also, for the processor if you wait a week or so the unlocked version will be out I think.
About the SSD, the MX100 is already out if I am not mistaken.

LilJoka

I used a razor blade. Safety razor.

Did I ruin the resale value of the cpu by delidding it? Maybe I can unload it on Craigslist and buy a new one.

Not at all, people want delidded chips, but people who delid usually have enough knowledge to ask about OC potential. It'll look weird if you say I delidded but didn't oc lol. But definatly try! There is another method, buy similar epoxy black as intel used, put it back together, buy the intel tuning plan and get a replacement CPU.

Nachtmaer

My questions are:
2) Are there any parts I could switch out so I can pay less but with a similar result?
3) Is it alright like this? I never built a PC and am really unexperienced with all of this technical stuff.

1) Stock coolers are usually just fine, but it wouldn't hurt getting a cheap aftermarket one. It would lower your temps and reduce the noise.
2) You could maybe swap that M500 out for either a Crucial M550 or Samsung 840 EVO. They're a bit more expensive but also faster. And as someone mentioned before, 1600 MHz RAM is pretty much the sweet spot. This wouldn't make it cheaper, so take that as you will.
3) Overall it looks alright to me.

Not at all, people want delidded chips, but people who delid usually have enough knowledge to ask about OC potential. It'll look weird if you say I delidded but didn't oc lol. But definatly try! There is another method, buy similar epoxy black as intel used, put it back together, buy the intel tuning plan and get a replacement CPU.

I bought my CPU in February. can I still do the tuning plan?

Mozendo

2) Are there any parts I could switch out so I can pay less but
3) Is it alright like this? I never built a PC and am really
1 - Nope, but if you're not really going to overclock I don't think you'd need a Z97 board. Could be wrong I really don't know much about MoBos.
2 - The XFX Pro 550w power supply and the Corsair 200r case are cheaper than what you currently have.
3 - Heard that 1600 CL9 ram is the optimal ram for gaming, but like MoBos I'm not sure. Aside from that it looks good.

LilJoka

I bought my CPU in February. can I still do the tuning plan?

Yes the tuning plan lasts for the life of the CPU. The issue is it's kind of voided with the delid. The tuning plan offers a no questions asked CPU swap, so ideally you would of done it soon as you found out the chip didn't OC. You can try what I said about putting epoxy to seal the CPU back. Do some googling you may find done more experience with this.
I don't use tuning plan as Intel always swap a broken CPU no questions asked even if it's been overclocked as long as there is no physical damage, most people don't know this or want to risk it, so buy the tuning plan.

Hey PC-GAF. I put together a rig in 2011 based on the advice in this thread and I am now looking to upgrade again. I'm not looking for a whole new system, just want to upgrade but am unsure of what would actually be worth upgrading right now.

Motherboard: P8P67 LE
CPU: 2600K i7 (currently not overclocked)
GPU: 560ti 1GB
RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W

I've just purchased some new monitors as my current set are 7 years old and only 1680x1050. The new monitors are 1080p, no 4k madness for me yet, so just want the best experience at that resolution. I know a new graphics card will give me the biggest improvement but I am hesitant to jump on one of the many cheap 2gb cards that are currently making the rounds. I'm under the impression that 3gb should be the minimum amount I should look for if I want a similar level of longevity that my 560ti has given me. Would I need to upgrade my power supply if I went for a new card right now?

Tempted to pick up some more ram too, my current setup is 1.65v, I can purchases the same memory again and just double my current amount. But I am also tempted to find some new 1.5v or lower that is compatible. Honestly though I am a little out of my depth when it comes to that.

So yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Addnan

Hey PC-GAF. I put together a rig in 2011 based on the advice in this thread and I am now looking to upgrade again. I'm not looking for a whole new system, just want to upgrade but am unsure of what would actually be worth upgrading right now.

I've just purchased some new monitors as my current set are 7 years old and only 1680x1050. The new monitors are 1080p, no 4k madness for me yet, so just want the best experience at that resolution. I know a new graphics card will give me the biggest improvement but I am hesitant to jump on one of the many cheap 2gb cards that are currently making the rounds. I'm under the impression that 3gb should be the minimum amount I should look for if I want a similar level of longevity that my 560ti has given me. Would I need to upgrade my power supply if I went for a new card right now?

Tempted to pick up some more ram too, my current setup is 1.65v, I can purchases the same memory again and just double my current amount. But I am also tempted to find some new 1.5v or lower that is compatible. Honestly though I am a little out of my depth when it comes to that.

8GB RAM is still plenty, don't bother adding more really if you just game. Buy a CPU cooler if you haven't already and overclock the 2600K, it is still an amazing CPU. Depending on your budget get a 290, 290X or a 780 and you will be good to go. Your PSU is plenty to power any of those.

kharma45

If you're just gaming you don't need more RAM.

All I'd do is overclock your 2600K with a Hyper 212 or something, and get a new GPU as you've indicated you want to do. Which one depends on budget. The 280X offers great bang for buck.

8GB RAM is still plenty, don't bother adding more really if you just game. Buy a CPU cooler if you haven't already and overclock the 2600K, it is still an amazing CPU. Depending on your budget get a 290, 290X or a 780 and you will be good to go. Your PSU is plenty to power any of those.

If you're just gaming you don't need more RAM.

All I'd do is overclock your 2600K with a Hyper 212 or something, and get a new GPU as you've indicated you want to do. Which one depends on budget. The 280X offers great bang for buck.

Thanks guys. Yeah, memory isn't something I have been running into issues with but it was more about getting some now because a matching set of sticks has dropped in price again. Plus, the more the better right? I had been looking at the 3gb 280X but thought anything other than an Nvidia card would just lead me to missing features and poor driver support, am I wrong? I already have an aftermarket cooler on my cpu (should have mentioned that) so overclocking is definitely something I plan to do.

kennah

Amd is fine now. Great strides in the driver depArtment. Nvidia still has extra features like shadowplay and physx but amd beats them in dollars per frames.

Durante

I had been looking at the 3gb 280X but thought anything other than an Nvidia card would just lead me to missing features and poor driver support, am I wrong?
Missing features, quite simply, yes. Of course you have to decide for yourself how important those features are for you.
The driver support differences boil down to how eclectic your gaming tastes are: the more broadly popular the games you play are, the less likely it is that you'll have any issues.

Missing features, quite simply, yes. Of course you have to decide for yourself how important those features are for you.
The driver support differences boil down to how eclectic your gaming tastes are: the more broadly popular the games you play are, the less likely it is that you'll have any issues.

TXAA and HBAO+ right? I think those are the main features. My taste is quite diverse, I like to try lots of games but stick to more mainstream stuff for any length of time.

Dystify

Ok, I did as adviced and switched out the SSD, Memory and added a cooler for the CPU (not listed here).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€187.90)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.48)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€74.46)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€69.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.35 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (€212.43)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (€55.90)
Power Supply: be quiet! 530W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €818.54
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 15:27 CEST+0200)

Now my question is, as I want this PC for gaming, are the CPU, Motherboard and Video Card alright like this? Or is there anything better? I'm looking for cheaper parts, if possible.

Not strictly OT, but the techsupport thread doesn't see much traffic.

Okay techGAF, need some help. All of my games have been crashing to desktop or crashing with game.exe has stopped working.

My hardware:
ASUS maximus V gene
Intel i5 3570k
EVGA GTX 660 ti
PNY DDR3 1333 16GB
Corsair CX750M
WD 1TB hhd

What I have tried:
format hdd, clean install of windows 8
Memtest86+, no RAM errors
Tested RAM sticks in pairs, no result
Updated all driver (latest non-beta nvidia driver)
Disabled nvidia audio
Disabled motherboard audio
Swapped thermaltake 600w PSU with the Corsair 750w

Nothing has fixed these crashes. Now I think it has to be the motherboard or possibly the CPU? No artificats or errors with gfx other than the crashes, which leads me to believe the 660 ti is fine. I have monitored my temperatures and fan speeds and everything seems within norms. No overclock on the 3570k, and have tinkered with increasing voltage to RAM and CPU with no luck.

What does techGAF recommend my next step be? This is driving me crazy!

I think my next step has to be to replace the motherboard, so should I stick with an LG1155 or get an 1150 and a new processor?

Durante

TXAA and HBAO+ right? I think those are the main features. My taste is quite diverse, I like to try lots of games but stick to more mainstream stuff for any length of time.
For me, the relevant ones (in order of importance) are:
- Pretty widespread SGSSAA support via inspector
- HBAO+ forcing via drivers
- Shadowplay
- Physx (yes I actually generally like the effects in the games which support it)
- Easy to use custom refresh rate and resolution support
- Adpative refresh
- G-sync (would shoot up in importance if they got a non-TN monitor out)

As I said, you have to decide how much all of this is worth for you.

Water

For me, G-Sync compatibility is by far the most important Nvidia exclusive gaming feature, but the above as well as Shadowplay are also interesting. There are other reasons I want Nvidia hardware, but not as a gamer (CUDA support, debugging support, best OpenGL support).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wth

is this an actual product or a concept?

It's mostly just a huge radiator sitting on top with an LED control display and such.

tlSiSxA.jpg

I really want to get into water cooling. Though, I need to get into building a new desktop first. No money and have a gaming notebook.

LilJoka

Because I can't build another PC for myself I'm building this for a mate:

Fractal Node 304
P8Z77-I Deluxe -£80 from mate
i7 2700k - spare
2x4gb corsair vengeance lp 1600 cl9
Seasonic G550
1Tb HDD
Hyper 212 Evo
MSI GTX 760 or R9 280
~£450
Who need consoles when you have friends =P
That build itch

Akai__

I somehow motivated myself to do the cable management properly. What do you guys think?
It took me 11 months :p

I'm planning on adding more 120mm Cougar fans and a fan controller. Thoughts?

Question is:

• How many 120mm fans should I get?
  • What is the ideal fan setup for this case (BitFenix Shinobi XL)?
  • Which fan controller should I get?

LilJoka

I somehow motivated myself to do the cable management properly. What do you guys think?

Question is:

• How many 120mm fans should I get?
  • What is the ideal fan setup for this case (BitFenix Shinobi XL)?
  • Which fan controller should I get?

You will gain nothing but more noise.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok, I did as adviced and switched out the SSD, Memory and added a cooler for the CPU (not listed here).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€187.90)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.48)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€74.46)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€69.53 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.35 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (€212.43)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (€55.90)
Power Supply: be quiet! 530W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €818.54
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 15:27 CEST+0200)

Now my question is, as I want this PC for gaming, are the CPU, Motherboard and Video Card alright like this? Or is there anything better? I'm looking for cheaper parts, if possible.
Looks solid. 4690K if you might OC, will make the computer last much much longer.
You can get 1866MHz Fury for same price.

Don't, no point.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($709.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1546.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 13:57 EDT-0400)

Ok I changed some things, as suggested. 4770k is placeholder since cannot select 4790k until it is released. How does this look?

Addnan

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($156.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($709.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1546.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 13:57 EDT-0400)

Ok I changed some things, as suggested. 4770k is placeholder since cannot select 4790k until it is released. How does this look?
Not that PSU. Get the Coolermaster V650 or something by Seasonic.

kharma45

The MX100 is the SSD you want http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFAGCWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20 The M500 is the same price so I threw it in for the build as PCP doesn't have it just to get the pricing to total up properly

You can save another $3 on the RAM, depends whether you prefer the GSkill blue stuff or white RAM http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8E92X0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Something like this would save you a bit of cash

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($142.66 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($679.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1469.58
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 14:27 EDT-0400)

Already got a case then?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Because they look bad and it's like 3-4C at 90C diff at best on a reference type cooler under sustained load

You don't like the look? :(
And 3-4C isn't much, but it's still an improvement for what seems like little to no extra cost right?

Decent plasmas don't get image retention. My Pioneer 4280XD can have the msi afterburner bright pink OSD on screen for hours without any issues. My screen shifts pixels by 8 in each direction to prevent burn in or even temporary retention.

My Panasonic ST60 is very prone to retention

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You don't like the look? :(
And 3-4C isn't much, but it's still an improvement for what seems like little to no extra cost right?
IDK it might be a cost thing or they aren't thinking about it because they have 50,000 GPU brackets left in stock.

I have a similar build to yours.

P8P67 Pro
2600k oced to 4.4ghz. Wish I could go more, but I guess I didn't get one of the better overclockable ones.
16 GB G Skill Ram-but I do some video editing on the side and like to have a shit ton of browser tabs open.
I went from a GTX 570>670<780 TI

I'd say upgrade your GPU and oc your CPU. Be sure to get an after market CPU cooler if you don't have one already. While an SSD won't impact game performance, it's nice to have the OS start up faster and load programs faster, so get one if you don't own one already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom