• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serandur

Is there any reason why the 290 isn't a more popular GPU? its close to a 780 and 100 dollars cheaper, I'm surprised that so many people seem to opt for the nvidia chip. I'm wondering if I should get a 290 now as an upgrade for my 6950 or wait it out.
So long as we're talking about non-reference 290s, nah, the 290 is awesome and only really arguably inferior to the 780 in any meaningful way in the lack of certain Nvidia software features some people like (like physX or driver downsampling support). If you're happy with AMD's software support on the 6950, I think you'd love a 290. The 780's relative popularity can be more based on the 780s being older and available longer, Nvidia's generally higher brand recognition, high prices for a long time due to the 290s' popularity as mining cards, and/or the 290's reference cooler being pretty bad, but the 290s with good coolers are great pieces of hardware.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ah, that explains it. Would waiting until The Witcher 3 net me a demonstrably better GPU for 400 bucks?
Considering it'll release next year at least... yeah

It's impossible to beat $320 for a used 290 with a good cooler and warranty right now (Check AUS) if you want to play in the months leading up to it though.

Durante

Is there any reason why the 290 isn't a more popular GPU? its close to a 780 and 100 dollars cheaper, I'm surprised that so many people seem to opt for the nvidia chip. I'm wondering if I should get a 290 now as an upgrade for my 6950 or wait it out.
Well, if you buy it you get an AMD card. If you buy a 780 you get an Nvidia card. That should explain it :p

Oh, and I agree with the above. Don't upgrade now unless you want to use it now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If vs. that used card value and AUS pricing a new card would probably be equivalent and use less power. But you don't have the card for 6+ months.
Well, if you buy it you get an AMD card. If you buy a 780 you get an Nvidia card. That should explain it :p
Why you gotta hate bro? Why can't I play Dota in 4k 120FPS with my 290s now? I heard GeSaddotodoto doesn't work. plsfix

Durante

Why you gotta hate bro? Why can't I play Dota in 4k 120FPS with my 290s now? I heard GeSaddotodoto doesn't work. plsfix
Well, it's GeDoSaTo, not GeSoDoTa :p

But seriously, I don't hate AMD at all (I still have 3 or 4 Radeon cards lying around, though most of them are labeled "ATI"), I just think that, particularly for enthusiasts, it's perfectly reasonable to look at more factors than just pure price/performance in your GPU purchases.

mkenyon

Banned
GeMoDoto don't work in Doto?
It would if for some odd reason I were to only ever play Dark Souls. :p
But both those points are true. Particularly the viewing angle one. I'm just not sure what to do, but I know I'm dissatisfied with what I have. As far as the GPU goes I'm definitely coming up on an appropriate time to upgrade. So far I haven't felt any lack of power but its fast coming up on two years old. I also am considering some kind of case mod. I figure the 2 year point is a good time to put some money and care into my rig.

Its looking like a 2560 x 1600 30inch monitor is the most pragmatic choice.
What about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrxNfxRK_4
Well, it's GeDoSaTo, not GeSoDoTa :p

But seriously, I don't hate AMD at all (I still have 3 or 4 Radeon cards lying around, though most of them are labeled "ATI"), I just think that, particularly for enthusiasts, it's perfectly reasonable to look at more factors than just pure price/performance in your GPU purchases.
You're right, and Shadowplay is rad for those that want to use it. He specifically said he wasn't looking to upgrade his monitor, which made the biggest thing (G-Sync) kind of a moot point.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I guess I have to save my project for next thread, more teaser:
Y3AK1Oq.jpg

MRSA

Banned
Yup, until I find something is funny with it.

Thanks for the response, how is the Radeon 250x?

Remember I'm building a bottom of the barrel emulation box for Dolphin and PCSX2.

Pentium G3258
ASRock Z97 Pro 3
4GB
1GB Radeon 250x
1TB HDD
Not sure on power supply and case.

GELID kit.

Also, does your 290(s) have any marked caps? Both of mine do and I'm paranoid they are RMA/Refurbs or something, but some guy on YT doing a replacement video has marked caps. Nothing on the cards seems to indicate they are anyway.

My original had no marked caps, or at least I didn't notice any. If you mean a small ink dot on the top, then I could have missed it. If you mean a large line then definitely no. I haven't done anything to my replacement, so I don't know if the caps are marked.

jett

D-Member
This is all kinds of BS. Why do people say this when they can't run a game as they'd like? You should probably reserve judgement until you've played it some more too.

The first level of Crysis 3 is probably the worst performing. I wouldn't say it's unoptimized...it's just a very demanding game.

You're right, it got better later on, well, I also had vsync on which made the framerate worse than it was. :p Now I got triple buffering with D3DOverrider and everything feels much smoother. A little strange how I see very little difference between very low and very high on everything, performance included. Oh well, this isn't the thread for that.

It does give my GPU a good workout. I think should've informed myself more before buying this rig, I didn't realize it was a rebranded 7970, I didn't know it was that beastly a card. :p So far it only gets real noise with this game, but I'm not sure if that bodes well for the future.

SHADES

Alright, switched out for the GTX 750 Ti

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $655.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 18:49 EDT-0400)

Any other suggestions or criticisms? It's for my brother who will be doing primarily video editing using Adobe Premier and After Effects with maybe some gaming on the side.

If you're getting the EVGA 750ti then get either FTW or the SC versions, I have the Super clocked and it's a great card for what it puts out vs power consumption.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Remember I'm building a bottom of the barrel emulation box for Dolphin and PCSX2.

Pentium G3258
ASRock Z97 Pro 3
4GB
1GB Radeon 250x
1TB HDD
I would get a 2GB 265 or 750Ti instead. It's $40 EXTREMELY well spent imo.
VP450 / CX with rebate for PSU. Source 210 great budget looking case, or whatever else you find.
My original had no marked caps, or at least I didn't notice any. If you mean a small ink dot on the top, then I could have missed it. If you mean a large line then definitely no. I haven't done anything to my replacement, so I don't know if the caps are marked.
You can see it if you look into the reference fan area, but it's probably upside down in your case :p

So the 16 year old suspension in my 1997 toyota is shot. gotta fork over 500ish for the parts and a pro friend is doing the install for free... still...

there goes any hope of my 4790K build being complete any time soon, don't worry Smokey I'm still in for that Microcenter Deal, even if all I have is CPU for a few months. Shit.

Gonna pray for a decent Watch_Dogs PC performance patch to tide me over on medium settings. And that this wait might help me gain any newer/better parts (or catch a deal) i might not have been able to buy if I bought the rest along side the release of the CPU. So i still win? Or should I not commit now to a CPU if i can't finish the build for a few months?

DSN2K

Pentium G3258
ASRock Z97 Pro 3
4GB
1GB Radeon 250x
1TB HDD

emulation requires decent CPU's!

Smokey

You're right, it got better later on, well, I also had vsync on which made the framerate worse than it was. :p Now I got triple buffering with D3DOverrider and everything feels much smoother. A little strange how I see very little difference between very low and very high on everything, performance included. Oh well, this isn't the thread for that.

It does give my GPU a good workout. I think should've informed myself more before buying this rig, I didn't realize it was a rebranded 7970, I didn't know it was that beastly a card. :p So far it only gets real noise with this game, but I'm not sure if that bodes well for the future.

Not many games workout a GPU like Crysis 3, the 280x still gets the job done very well.

--

So I put in 2 of my Titan Blacks and did a stock Heaven run. 3840x2160, 2xaa, even 45.0 fps. Not bad!

ss_lemonade

Is something funky going on with my evga gtx 780 ACX? I started playing around with overclocking a few months ago and got it stable at around 1175 core. A week or 2 back, I noticed my voltages would sometimes drop and the clocks would drop too so I brought everything back to stock and now, for some reason, it can't boost properly anymore. Since I bought this, the GPU would always stay boosted at 1100mhz. Now according to rivatuner, it fluctuates up and down together with mem clocks and voltage. Just now when I tried Injustice, the GPU was stuck at around 350mhz (2d clocks?) though I wonder if that's a problem with the game (it was running in slow motion and at 30fps).

The weird thing is when I start up a benchmark like Heaven, clocks and voltage shoot right back up to what I expect them to be.

Sami+

If I can ask for help just one more time before putting things together -

I've ordered and recieved my GTX 760. Unfortunately I had to wait a bit for the PSU, which is currently on its way in the mail. In the meantime though, I had a few questions about what to do from there.

My motherboard is an ASROCK N68-VS3 FX, and the CPU I'm planning on getting is the AMD FX-6300. The questions I wanted to ask are:

- Are the AMD FX-6300 and the GTX 760 a good match? Or will the CPU still bottleneck the GPU?

- Is the mobo compatible with the CPU and GPU? Or do I need to buy a new one? This is definitely the most important question. A few days ago neurosisxeno was really nice and helped me pick some parts, but I later found out that the i3 he recommended was unfortunately not compatible with my mobo. I'd hate to have that happen with the 6300. GPU I'm not as worried about because I think it is compatible, but just to make sure.

At the very least a yes/no on either of these would ease my mind a lot. Thanks in advance and as always I'm super appreciative of any advice. I'm eager to learn this stuff.

So is there any reason not to go with an AMD CPU? This thing has 8 cores and runs at 3.5Ghz (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8320frhkbox), which has more cores (useful for me for parallel computing) than this Intel Xeon (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31220v3)

Wait why would you pick a Xeon? That's a server/workstation CPU. Not saying you can't use it or that it's terrible, I just don't know why you selected it.

The 8 Core AMD processors are not better than intel processors. There is a reason all of the PCs on the front page are using intel CPUs.

Orayn

So is there any reason not to go with an AMD CPU? This thing has 8 cores and runs at 3.5Ghz (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8320frhkbox), which has more cores (useful for me for parallel computing) than this Intel Xeon (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646e31220v3)

It's a pretty good value, but not a terribly fast CPU in the greater scheme of things. Take a look at how it stacks up against the i7 2600k, a 4-core, 8-thread chip that came out in 2011.

cb2c8dbb30.png

Also, 125 watts is a very high TDP in this day and age.

Wait why would you pick a Xeon? That's a server/workstation CPU. Not saying you can't use it or that it's terrible, I just don't know why you selected it.

The 8 Core AMD processors are not better than intel processors. There is a reason all of the PCs on the front page are using intel CPUs.

Xeons are currently cheaper on PCPartPicker and I'm probably going to use this rig for work, which involves long running simulations (hours to days). Researching led me to believe that i7s and Xeons are more or less equal (Xeons are a bit worse) so I figure that Xeons will work out just fine.

Edit:
It's a pretty good value, but not a terribly fast CPU in the greater scheme of things. Take a look at how it stacks up against the i7 2600k, a 4-core, 8-thread chip that came out in 2011.

cb2c8dbb30.png

Hmm, I wonder if that performance has anything to do with the test used. Got a link where I can read about the tests by any chance?

Ryman

Quick question about applying thermal paste:

I have an 1150 CPU and Hyper 212 Evo and was wondering what the best application method would be. I plan on tinting both the heat sink and CPU, and then using a small rice-sized drop of thermal paste on the CPU. Any opinions on whether tinting does anything of value, is it worth it? I have also seen manually spreading the paste creates air bubbles, so I have chosen to not use this technique. I saw the link showing thermal paste application on the first page but just wanted some other opinions.

Smokey

wth

is this an actual product or a concept?

Proper water cooling or bust.

(either is probably too much hassle, Smokey has had enough headaches to last a few years)

yeah...i imagine i'll run into some more with Tri-Sli Titans. I try and take it in stride though. I'm mostly on the edge of things so issues are bound to come up.

i still plan to get into WC...but maybe i'll get my hands in it on my secondary rig since it looks like i'll have one. i think i'd feel much more comfortable doing it on a back up machine vs my main with 3x titan blacks at risk.

it's a mental hurdle!

TheD

The Detective

cb2c8dbb30.png

Passmark is also heavily biased to multi threaded loads, in a lot of cases it will perform worse than that.

I'm so fucking upset. I delidded my CPU. PC is working just fine and it had the desired effects of lowering my temps. However, doing so has caused me to find out I can't achieve a higher OC than 4.2GHz. I have applied 1.408V and my temps hover around 65°c. Every 15-20 minutes or so of Prime95 running the temps shoot up to ~89° which I find unacceptable. Still, if you remember my posts way earlier in this thread. Prime95 used to cause my CPU to reach temps in excess of 90° before I delidded and that was without any overclock applied to the CPU. I had to stop the stress test once temps got that high, crashed a few times too.

But yeah. What the fuck. Do I just have the worst chip in the world or something?

edit: my post from 3 months ago when I was stress testing everything stock

Added a Cooler Master 212 Evo heatsink. Using a i7-4770K (no overclocking) I had a stress test running for about half an hour before my temps got up to 95C. Using Prime95 Torture Test - Blend for the stress test and CPUID HWmonitor to monitor the temps.

Kind of concerned. My understanding is that greater than 70C for extended periods of time is harmful. I'd like to OC but if I can't even keep my temps below 90C at full non OC load for any length of time that makes me a bit worried.

Here are the temps for cores 0, 1, 2, and 3. And the package temps.

95C
93C
94C
85C

95C

Still curious as to why every 15 minutes or so the temps shoot up and then drop back down after about 3 minutes. The CPU is always under a full load so what is Prime95 doing every 15 minutes to cause this spike and dip?

I've been gaming a lot on my new plasma lately.

Clarity of motion on it really makes my 1440p display feel more and more repulsive to me.

I don't really care about high refresh rates or adaptive-sync tech but an LCD with backlight strobing is something I'm going to have to get very soon. I just need one that has decent colors and viewing angles to be released. I'm all about IQ, and motion blur is ruining me now that I've noticed it. I mean I always knew it was there but seeing side by side comparisons is eating away at me.

Yeah plasmas are dreamy when it comes to certain things where LCD just can't compete. That image retention is a bitch though

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

The correct Xeon to buy is the 1230v3 or 1231v3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116906
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316

You get 8 threads for cheaper if you don't want to OC. Same shit.

cb2c8dbb30.png

Don't post that, it has 0 context and 0 application to anything.
Xeons are currently cheaper on PCPartPicker and I'm probably going to use this rig for work, which involves long running simulations (hours to days). Researching led me to believe that i7s and Xeons are more or less equal, so I figure that Xeons will work out just fine.
You are correct, just needs to double check mobo compatibility if possible.
Quick question about applying thermal paste:

I have an 1150 CPU and Hyper 212 Evo and was wondering what the best application method would be. I plan on tinting both the heat sink and CPU, and then using a small rice-sized drop of thermal paste on the CPU. Any opinions on whether tinting does anything of value, is it worth it? I have also seen manually spreading the paste creates air bubbles, so I have chosen to not use this technique. I saw the link showing thermal paste application on the first page but just wanted some other opinions.
Shit really doesn't matter TBH. Just don't put WAY too much.
In what games would a i3 4150 be very much challenged for decent 1080p performance, with a 750 Ti.
Not many, your 750Ti will hold you back most of the time. If you wanna talk about WD or GTA IV with mods, etc large open worlds etc.
I'm so fucking upset. I delidded my CPU. PC is working just fine and it had the desired effects of lowering my temps. However, doing so has caused me to find out I can't achieve a higher OC than 4.2GHz. I have applied 1.408V and my temps hover around 65°c. Every 15-20 minutes or so of Prime95 running the temps shoot up to ~89° which I find unacceptable. Still, if you remember my posts way earlier in this thread. Prime95 used to cause my CPU to reach temps in excess of 90° before I delidded and that was without any overclock applied to the CPU. I had to stop the stress test once temps got that high, crashed a few times too.

But yeah. What the fuck. Do I just have the worst chip in the world or something?

edit: my post from 3 months ago when I was stress testing everything stock

Still curious as to why every 15 minutes or so the temps shoot up and then drop back down after about 3 minutes. The CPU is always under a full load so what is Prime95 doing every 15 minutes to cause this spike and dip?
Prime95 changes between types or load testing and some are more CPU intensive than others, seems like you are hitting some kind of exponential point where the heat is creating more resistance and making more heat to catapult like that, usually it's only a 5-10C swing maximum.

Also your chip seems pretty ass. I'd start tweaking LLC / VCCIN / NB etc. Shoving voltage into the chip isn't always how to get around a clock wall.

Go read an Overclock.net OC guide in depth a bit more, read what BSODs you are getting, etc.

I'm getting stable clocks with my GTX780 of 1254MHz by applying 223MHz to the base and .25mV.

Heaven 4.0 scores go from 1300 stock to 1570 when overclocked. At least tell me my GPU isn't ass. :(

LilJoka

The rumor is that that Pentium overclocks like crazy and provides great single threaded performance.

It doesn't have all the instruction sets which means it'll be crap for emulation, iirc it doesn't have AVX. Edit- think it may not matter for dolphin or pcsx2.

I'm getting stable clocks with my GTX780 of 1254MHz by applying 223MHz to the base and .25mV.

Heaven 4.0 scores go from 1300 stock to 1570 when overclocked. At least tell me my GPU isn't ass. :(

Pretty good, crank the memory clock, I get 1254/3500Mhz 1.21v bench stable.

Yeah plasmas are dreamy when it comes to certain things where LCD just can't compete. That image retention is a bitch though

Decent plasmas don't get image retention. My Pioneer 4280XD can have the msi afterburner bright pink OSD on screen for hours without any issues. My screen shifts pixels by 8 in each direction to prevent burn in or even temporary retention.

It doesn't have all the instruction sets which means it'll be crap for emulation, iirc it doesn't have AVX. Edit- think it may not matter for dolphin or pcsx2.

Pretty good, crank the memory clock, I get 1254/3500Mhz 1.21v bench stable.

Decent plasmas don't get image retention. My Pioneer 4280XD can have the msi afterburner bright pink OSD on screen for hours without any issues. My screen shifts pixels by 8 in each direction to prevent burn in or even temporary retention.

My PC crashes when I raise the memory clock anywhere past 450MHz in Precision X

Dystify

So I currently have this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€187.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€99.48 @ Hardwareversand)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (€66.83 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€64.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.16 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (€212.43 @ Hardwareversand)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (€55.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: be quiet! 530W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (€66.52 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €806.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-07 11:28 CEST+0200)

My questions are:
1) Will I need a CPU Cooler? I am not looking to overclock.
2) Are there any parts I could switch out so I can pay less but with a similar result?
3) Is it alright like this? I never built a PC and am really unexperienced with all of this technical stuff.

Also, I added URLs to the product's website if PCPartPicker didn't have it. (No idea if it helps my case.)

LilJoka

Pea method seems useless. I used a thin layer of thermal past all over the top of cpu. my temperature is 27-32c on idle.

Pea method works perfectly or line even on larger chips like socket 2011. The guy in the video doesn't apply the pressure created by the heatsink, when done right you can get pea method to get the TIM perfect right to the edges of the chip with more Tim in areas that have bigger gaps.

Also heatsink today have a convex base not flat like in the video which forces Tim away from the centre to get a thin as possible layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom