• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been gaming a lot on my new plasma lately.

Clarity of motion on it really makes my 1440p display feel more and more repulsive to me.

I don't really care about high refresh rates or adaptive-sync tech but an LCD with backlight strobing is something I'm going to have to get very soon. I just need one that has decent colors and viewing angles to be released. I'm all about IQ, and motion blur is ruining me now that I've noticed it. I mean I always knew it was there but seeing side by side comparisons is eating away at me.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't really care about high refresh rates or adaptive-sync tech but an LCD with backlight strobing is something I'm going to have to get very soon. I just need one that has decent colors and viewing angles to be released.
Every one of your posts I've seen have been at odds with your username. Until now.
Sometimes I want a non TN panel. And then I crank down my settings in BF4 and play at 100+ FPS, then I forget about the aforementioned statement.
P'much.
So why it run like shit with R9 280x?
Well, it runs like shit on most things. But, it's generally just fine with a 280x. It is a very processor dependent game, these results were with a 7970 (same thing as 280x):

zouDi.png

zeroOman

AMD

And what do you mean it's not keeping up with new games...?

When I try Bf3/bf4 or Far cry 3 it keep dropping below 50 and stay at 45-46 fps at ultra with 720p even at high.... is it the card problem or just the game isn't optimize?

Well, it runs like shit on most things. But, it's generally just fine with a 280x. It is a very processor dependent game, these results were with a 7970 (same thing as 280x):

zouDi.png

the number in the right are CPU ?

Every one of your posts I've seen have been at odds with your username. Until now.

I mean I'm not getting a high refresh rate monitor for the refresh rate, just for the blur reduction that comes with backlight strobing support.

I'm not suddenly going to start turning settings down and sacrificing IQ to go past 60 FPS. I just want each frame to be ☆perfect☆ like on my plasma.

Smokey

I hate you and your endless discretionary income. @_@ So jealous.

Live through me. It's cheaper.

When I try Bf3/bf4 or Far cry 3 it keep dropping below 50 and stay at 45-46 fps at ultra with 720p even at high.... is it the card problem or just the game isn't optimize?

I know FC had some optimization problems for a awhile, but the BF performance sounds odd. Especially at 720p with that card. You have a clean install of your current drivers? Have you tried running the game with some kind of monitoring overlay (Afterburner)? Maybe it's throttling for some reason some where.

zeroOman

I know FC had some optimization problems for a awhile, but the BF performance sounds odd. Especially at 720p with that card. You have a clean install of your current drivers? Have you tried running the game with some kind of monitoring overlay (Afterburner)? Maybe it's throttling for some reason some where.

Well it's not even 720p... 1280 x 1024 which is less than 720p right?

The game run great but alot of the time it dip below 45 which make it less fun to play and it's with mental .....

riflen

I just tried a bit of Crysis 3 for stress test for my new PC (4670K+280X). Aw man, it turns into a jet engine. The video card's fans go up to 2400 RPM. I guess I should've expected that... I'm disappointed that I can't get really get close to a "perceived" 60fps with everything on very high and with SMAA 1X, no taxing MSAA or anything. I can't even see shit either with all the effects the game throws in my face, but that's neither here nor there. :p I guess there's no helping the fan noise, is there.

Which games do you people play at 144hz, exactly? CS:GO? :p I'm gonna be comfy couch gaming at 60fps forevah.

If you want a quiet GPU, you could look at a NZXT Kraken or similar.

All games are better at higher refresh rates. You don't need matching frame rate to see a benefit.

DoctorZ

I got my Silverstone SG09 a couple of days ago and did the switch from my big tower case. Very happy with the case so far except one glaring issue.

The extension cable for the ATX power supply, so that the power plug can be in the rear of the case with the PSU being placed at the front, is angled for standard ATX PSU plugs. My PSU, corsair HX620 has the plug facing the opposite direction.

My setup looks like this.

http://cdn.overclock.net/6/6c/900x900px-LL-6c0c8bea_2.jpeg

So the issue is that the cord interferes with the side panel which has a 120mm fan. You cannot close the case with the cord facing down, it is designed to come from the top of the case and plug in like this.

http://cdn.overclock.net/0/09/900x900px-LL-09acb6e8_SystemOn.jpeg

Looking around it seems like a fairly common issue and that a lot of PSU manufacturers put their plugs facing the "opposite" way instead of the standard configuration. I understand that Silverstone isn't technically responsible for PSU makers putting the plug at a non-standard direction, but they should have been aware of this issue as many PSU's are configured this way. It makes many ATX PSU's difficult to use with this case.

Has anyone else had this issue with the case? I saw elsewhere that you can buy an extension cable at the correct angle, but it'll be longer than the one supplied with making it harder to deal with the cord.

Just a PSA if anyone is considering the Silverstone SG09 or SG10, be aware that you need a PSU with the power plug like the bottom images configuration to be able to use it easily.

zeroOman

I just tried a bit of Crysis 3 for stress test for my new PC (4670K+280X). Aw man, it turns into a jet engine. The video card's fans go up to 2400 RPM. I guess I should've expected that... I'm disappointed that I can't get really get close to a "perceived" 60fps with everything on very high and with SMAA 1X, no taxing MSAA or anything. I can't even see shit either with all the effects the game throws in my face, but that's neither here nor there. :p I guess there's no helping the fan noise, is there.

Which games do you people play at 144hz, exactly? CS:GO? :p I'm gonna be comfy couch gaming at 60fps forevah.

Damm and I was hopping of getting the 60fps with my PC.... I can hear the sound of the fan but not like jet engine... even at 80c and 100% speed fan

Do you have amd cpu or old core 2 quad ?
nah it's I5 3470...

Yeah CPU clock speed.
which isn't that bad but which intel processors have 4.5GHz....

Water

I mean I'm not getting a high refresh rate monitor for the refresh rate, just for the blur reduction that comes with backlight strobing support.

I'm not suddenly going to start turning settings down and sacrificing IQ to go past 60 FPS. I just want each frame to be ☆perfect☆ like on my plasma.

You probably know this already, but I'm pointing it out just in case - most of those high refresh rate monitors will only strobe when driven at 100+Hz. The current Benqs are the exception, with strobing available down to 60.

You probably know this already, but I'm pointing it out just in case - most of those high refresh rate monitors will only strobe when driven at 100+Hz. The current Benqs are the exception, with strobing available down to 60.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm not looking for Gsync/Async, as I understand it, no monitor supports strobing with variable refresh just yet.

Strobing at 60Hz will probably give me an enormous headache anyway, so I'm not sure I'm interested in that either.

jett

D-Member
HWMonitor

Thanks. Seems my CPU is keeping at a cool 32°.

If you want a quiet GPU, you could look at a NZXT Kraken or similar.

All games are better at higher refresh rates. You don't need matching frame rate to see a benefit.

Liquid cooled stuff is just a bit too exotic for me. :p

Damm and I was hopping of getting the 60fps with my PC.... I can hear the sound of the fan but not like jet engine... even at 80c and 100% speed fan

nah it's I5 3470...

which isn't that bad but which intel processors have 4.5GHz....

Nah man Crysis 3 isn't well optimized and Crytek throws everything but the kitchen sink at you, which I figured looking at benchmarks beforehand. I'm not past the first level but it doesn't even look that great to be honest. I've also been replaying Mirror's Edge and that game is just still fucking gorgeous today with the resolution, framerate and image quality cranked all the way up.

You're only getting 4.5 with overclocking btw.

riflen

Nah man Crysis 3 isn't well optimized and Crytek throws everything but the kitchen sink at you, which I figured looking at benchmarks beforehand. I'm not past the first level but it doesn't even look that great to be honest.

This is all kinds of BS. Why do people say this when they can't run a game as they'd like? You should probably reserve judgement until you've played it some more too.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've been on the G-Sync bandwagon for a while now... lovely tech; can't wait to use it.

But after seeing The Witcher 3 - sequel to one of my favorite games of all time - I'm starting to lean a bit more toward going 4K.

Either way, the game is going to decimate hardware.

Remeard

Alright, switched out for the GTX 750 Ti

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $655.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 18:49 EDT-0400)

Any other suggestions or criticisms? It's for my brother who will be doing primarily video editing using Adobe Premier and After Effects with maybe some gaming on the side.

Smokey

Thanks. Seems my CPU is keeping at a cool 32°.

Liquid cooled stuff is just a bit too exotic for me. :p

Nah man Crysis 3 isn't well optimized and Crytek throws everything but the kitchen sink at you, which I figured looking at benchmarks beforehand. I'm not past the first level but it doesn't even look that great to be honest. I've also been replaying Mirror's Edge and that game is just still fucking gorgeous today with the resolution, framerate and image quality cranked all the way up.

You're only getting 4.5 with overclocking btw.

The first level of Crysis 3 is probably the worst performing. I wouldn't say it's unoptimized...it's just a very demanding game.

LilJoka

I'm interested in AIO liquid coolers, but do they not still tend to have pump noise issues?

It's not so bad and I like silence. The issue is poor reliability, just check the corsair cooler forum. Mine already gave up after 2 months. The myriad of basic issues makes them seem poorly made to me. I'm looking to buy the XSPC or EK water cooling kits instead now. Corsair link is also really crap software.
Minimum I would buy is H80i, otherwise stick to air, they perform better and don't break!

Also I think all corsair/antec AIOs are made by CoolIt.

riflen

I've been on the G-Sync bandwagon for a while now... lovely tech; can't wait to use it.

But after seeing The Witcher 3 - sequel to one of my favorite games of all time - I'm starting to lean a bit more toward going 4K.

Either way, the game is going to decimate hardware.

Why not both?

kharma45

Alright, switched out for the GTX 750 Ti

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $655.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 18:49 EDT-0400)

Any other suggestions or criticisms? It's for my brother who will be doing primarily video editing using Adobe Premier and After Effects with maybe some gaming on the side.

Shaved a bit off but you're still getting good stuff

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $608.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 19:09 EDT-0400)

You could even add a Hyper 212 cooler for $30. It'd help the CPU run cooler and quieter, as well as offering the option to overclock.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have three portrait 16x9 monitors?

Whats it like for daily use? What about playing games at a different resolution and aspect ratio than the three displays provide? Can you just run a letterboxed 16x9 game stretched across the three panels when there are compatibility or performance issues rendering at 3240 x 1920?

I'm just exploring options at the moment and adding two more of these 24in panels and a stand is actually relatively affordable compared to some of the epic 30inchers out there.

mkenyon

Banned
Nope. Black Friday you'll find deals on everything EXCEPT motherboards, processors, and video cards. Never ever ever worth it. Most of the deals that do come up on everything else you can find weekly anyway.
Does anyone have three portrait 16x9 monitors?

Whats it like for daily use? What about playing games at a different resolution and aspect ratio than the three displays provide? Can you just run a letterboxed 16x9 game stretched across the three panels when there are compatibility or performance issues rendering at 3240 x 1920?

I'm just exploring options at the moment and adding two more of these 24in panels and a stand is actually relatively affordable compared to some of the epic 30inchers out there.
It's shit. I have two portrait panels flanking my one horizontal panel here at work, but it's all work related stuff and GAF, so colors aren't important. The big issue is that it's a total pain in the ass to not run up against the limited viewing angles of TN on these. You have to have them oriented just right, and even then you still get weird color stuff. Too much up/down real estate.

Plus, if you wanted to game on all three, you'd need to look at a major upgrade in your system. That 680 won't cut it at that res.
We need to rename the ridiculous build in the op after Smokey.
Yep. Sk3tch is dead. All hail King Smokey.

Though to be fair, Sk3tch had 3 Titans the day they were released, he's just not around much anymore. I get an email every three or so months asking me if I want to buy a GPU he is about to sell to buy the newest stuff.

Water

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm not looking for Gsync/Async, as I understand it, no monitor supports strobing with variable refresh just yet.

Strobing at 60Hz will probably give me an enormous headache anyway, so I'm not sure I'm interested in that either.
Well, you still have the middle of the road option. If the game can run at >60Hz, and your hardware can lock the game at an intermediate rate like 75Hz, the Benqs will let you strobe with that. And if I'm not mistaken, all the G-Sync displays are supposed to have ULMB minimum rate at 85Hz instead of the current 100Hz minimum of the Nvidia Lightboost tech.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, you still have the middle of the road option. If the game can run at >60Hz, and your hardware can lock the game at an intermediate rate like 75Hz, the Benqs will let you strobe with that. And if I'm not mistaken, all the G-Sync displays are supposed to have ULMB minimum rate at 85Hz instead of the current 100Hz minimum of the Nvidia Lightboost tech.
He has a 290. There isn't much outside of the big graphics hogs and games that naturally run as fast as a WoW addict (Ubisoft) that can't hit 8.3ms frame times.

Remeard

Shaved a bit off but you're still getting good stuff

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $608.93
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 19:09 EDT-0400)

You could even add a Hyper 212 cooler for $30. It'd help the CPU run cooler and quieter, as well as offering the option to overclock.

Hmm, never been one to overclock, and my guess is he's a bit cautious due to this being more of a work PC and him not being too tech savvy, but I'll definitely throw the suggestion to him, I'm not sure how intensive video editing is, I'm guessing quite a bit.

Thank you as well, this puts us pretty much right at budget.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any chance nvidia will make any announcements regarding the 800 series around e3? Or do they usually skip e3?
Skip.

The big announcements like that always happen at their own press conferences. They prefer to do hard launches too, so they rarely make announcements such as "we are going to release the new series of our products (insert date)."

Probably Q4 this year or Q1 next year. Maybe later.

maneil99

Skip.

The big announcements like that always happen at their own press conferences. They prefer to do hard launches too, so they rarely make announcements such as "we are going to release the new series of our products (insert date)."

Probably Q4 this year or Q1 next year. Maybe later.

I think if its Q4/Q1 it has to be 20nm

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Plus, if you wanted to game on all three, you'd need to look at a major upgrade in your system. That 680 won't cut it at that res.

It would if for some odd reason I were to only ever play Dark Souls. :p
But both those points are true. Particularly the viewing angle one. I'm just not sure what to do, but I know I'm dissatisfied with what I have. As far as the GPU goes I'm definitely coming up on an appropriate time to upgrade. So far I haven't felt any lack of power but its fast coming up on two years old. I also am considering some kind of case mod. I figure the 2 year point is a good time to put some money and care into my rig.

Its looking like a 2560 x 1600 30inch monitor is the most pragmatic choice.

appaws

Banned
It's not so bad and I like silence. The issue is poor reliability, just check the corsair cooler forum. Mine already gave up after 2 months. The myriad of basic issues makes them seem poorly made to me. I'm looking to buy the XSPC or EK water cooling kits instead now. Corsair link is also really crap software.
Minimum I would buy is H80i, otherwise stick to air, they perform better and don't break!

Also I think all corsair/antec AIOs are made by CoolIt.

I'm very much enjoying my XSPC kit. Only 250 bucks for a really high end CPU block and Pump/res combo and a very good performing rad. Just add some decent tubing, the stuff it comes with is garbage.

MRSA

Banned
Alright guys, starting to price together my build.

For the Pentium chip, should I go with the ASRock Z97 Pro 3 as the most value (cheap) oriented mobo?

Cdammen

I just bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB on new egg. It was $149.99 a few days ago and now it's $139—so I just said fuck it, why not. So begins my ssd experiment...
Bought a cheap 128GB Corsair one for my home computer. I have an SSD in my Apple laptop so I knew what to expect... but really, it's like getting a new PC. Everything feels so much snappier and responsive. Love the performance boost even though I only have programs and the operating system on it.

Serandur

Anyone think there's any point in upgrading a gtx 570 to gigabyte windforce 290 for $449 AUD? Or just wait until the 8 series.
A 290 is a pretty good upgrade over the 570, but if it were me, personally I'd wait it out depending on what you're looking to play. Like personally, I'd wait until The Witcher 3 came around to decide, a 570 is still an otherwise passable card but it really depends on how much you're struggling to achieve what you want at the moment. 290s are pretty awesome though too.

ACE 1991

A 290 is a pretty good upgrade over the 570, but if it were me, personally I'd wait it out depending on what you're looking to play. Like personally, I'd wait until The Witcher 3 came around to decide, a 570 is still an otherwise passable card but it really depends on how much you're struggling to achieve what you want at the moment. 290s are pretty awesome though too.

Is there any reason why the 290 isn't a more popular GPU? its close to a 780 and 100 dollars cheaper, I'm surprised that so many people seem to opt for the nvidia chip. I'm wondering if I should get a 290 now as an upgrade for my 6950 or wait it out.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
DC benches coming in are very lukewarm. At least it costs the same I guess.
I just bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB on new egg. It was $149.99 a few days ago and now it's $139—so I just said fuck it, why not. So begins my ssd experiment...
MX100 is $110 tho
Alright guys, starting to price together my build.

For the Pentium chip, should I go with the ASRock Z97 Pro 3 as the most value (cheap) oriented mobo?
Yup, until I find something is funny with it.
Anyone think there's any point in upgrading a gtx 570 to gigabyte windforce 290 for $449 AUD? Or just wait until the 8 series.
Buy used, yes.
Is there any reason why the 290 isn't a more popular GPU? its close to a 780 and 100 dollars cheaper, I'm surprised that so many people seem to opt for the nvidia chip. I'm wondering if I should get a 290 now as an upgrade for my 6950 or wait it out.
They used to cost 30% more than MSRP in NA for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom