• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to upgrade my CPU, right now I have a fourth gen i5 that cant be overclocked. However, when I consulted my user manual to see what kind of motherboard I have it basically told me 3 different things. On the cover it says Z87-G41, H87-G41, and B85-G41. I googled searched all three and they all take fourth gen CPUs. So without knowing which one it specifically is, can I just slot in a fourth gen i7?

Thanks, I apologize if this question is asinine, I love PC gaming but when the parts scare me half to death

I want to upgrade my CPU, right now I have a fourth gen i5 that cant be overclocked. However, when I consulted my user manual to see what kind of motherboard I have it basically told me 3 different things. On the cover it says Z87-G41, H87-G41, and B85-G41. I googled searched all three and they all take fourth gen CPUs. So without knowing which one it specifically is, can I just slot in a fourth gen i7?

Thanks, I apologize if this question is asinine, I love PC gaming but when the parts scare me half to death

Your mobo should have the model no somewhere on it. It might be small, but they usually are on there somewhere. Sometimes near the mobo heat sink, sometimes near the memory or cpu. Once you find out the model no, search for your mobo's support page. Usually they will have a list of supported CPU's. You might have to update your bios.

jett

D-Member
Ah goddamnit, I formatted my computer, reinstalled windows 7, and I'm still getting lag issues on a second screen on a 4670k/280X. I had no problems on a shitcakes C2D/ATI 4670. This is really depressing. If I have both screens enabled games are prone to wildly unstable framerates (one of the screens is just the desktop). Even just windows will start lagging like at a low framerate when you move 'em around. The fuck? And flash videos run like ass. This is unfuckingbearable. I'd rather have flushed $1000 down the toilet than suffer this.

sal0713

Neo Member
So I'm new to overclocking, where is a place i can learn to overclock my 4670k? Right now my motherboard came with a overclocking software but when i used it for the 4.2GHz i get temps of 70c+ when running prime 95. I just want some good tips or explanation on how to adjust stuff myself self so i don't get high temps.

japanesegeek

Neo Member
Your Current Specs
No Windows PC currently. I do have a macbook pro retina laptop so the only purpose of this machine will be for using the Oculus Rift.

Budget:
$2,000 tops. Not looking to spend money that wouldn't give me a significant gain though.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Gaming, 5

Monitor Resolution
The Oculus Rift DK2 runs at 1080P at 75 Hz, and maintaining minimum frame rate of 75 fps is important to prevent nausea. I will eventually be upgrading an Oculus Rift CV1 (resolution and refresh speed unknown), I know whatever GPU I get today won't work so will be upgrading that when the time comes. Hoping not to need to upgrade everything else, but will do so if needs be.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Elite Dangerous at 75 FPS, Star Citizen at 75FPS. I am willing to lower settings a bit to accomplish this but hopefully not too much. I want a good experience, so if PhysX, Supersampling, CUDA, are needed for this then I want them, but I don't know that I need them.

Looking to reuse any parts
I have a spare wired keyboard and wired mouse. Both just standard Microsoft brand items. Unless it makes a difference, I'll stick with them. I also have a 1080P monitor I can use when not using the Oculus Rift

When will you build
Oculus Rift DK2 is due out sometime in July, so preferably have the PC built by the end of June.

Will you be overclocking
Yes

After doing some research, am thinking the below but want to get a sanity check that this is a good bang for the buck system.

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $339.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i) | $89.99 @ Best Buy
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97igamingac) | $179.99 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl) | $83.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct512mx100ssd1) | $219.00 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308002) | $428.98 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011047ww) | $84.99 @ Amazon
**Power Supply** | [Silverstone Strider Gold S 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st75fgs) | $130.07 @ NCIX US
**Case Fan** | [Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4lus07argp) | $14.98 @ OutletPC
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1571.98
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:49 EDT-0400 |

TheD

The Detective
Ah goddamnit, I formatted my computer, reinstalled windows 7, and I'm still getting lag issues on a second screen on a 4670k/280X. I had no problems on a shitcakes C2D/ATI 4670. This is really depressing. If I have both screens enabled games are prone to wildly unstable framerates (one of the screens is just the desktop). Even just windows will start lagging like at a low framerate when you move 'em around. The fuck? And flash videos run like ass. This is unfuckingbearable. I'd rather have flushed $1000 down the toilet than suffer this.

I have that same problem with a GTX 680, turning off aero helps (but not completely).

I am pretty sure that the base problem has to do with Windows being a turd.

rouken

Whichever one has the features you want at the price you want to pay. Motherboard choice doesn't make much difference these days.

But what about the brand? I'm leaning towards Gigabyte but if there's a more solid brand out there just tell me.

Also any significant difference between z87, z97 and z97x?

kennah

But what about the brand? I'm leaning towards Gigabyte but if there's a more solid brand out there just tell me.

Also any significant difference between z87, z97 and z97x?

The differences are so small that scogoth is right. It comes down to the features you want and colour. Gigabyte is just fine - especially if you want to Hackintosh. But other than that, it really, seriously, doesn't matter - as long as you're in a Z series board.

I'm thinking about getting a new video card, using it for a year or so and then selling it when I build a whole new PC after Skylake and 20mm Maxwell launches.

Your Current Specs:
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5e
Motherboard: Gigabyte UD3 770
GPU: HIS HD 4890 1GB
PSU: OCZ 500W Modular 80+
RAM: 6GB DDR2 800
Processor: Phenom ii X3 720 2.8ghz black edition OC'd to 3.52 w/ a Hyper 212 Plus.

Budget:
US - $200-300.

Main Use:
Gaming + Emulation

Monitor Resolution:
I play on my HDTV so I use either 1280x720, 1600x900 or 1920x1080. Before, I found myself using 720 a lot just because text / ui elements would be too small at higher res.

Would this one be a good choice?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

I've heard great things about the GTX760, but I don't know anything about the differences between manufacturers versions (EVGA vs MSI vs Sapphire vs HIS, etc...).

mkenyon

Banned
Your Current Specs
No Windows PC currently. I do have a macbook pro retina laptop so the only purpose of this machine will be for using the Oculus Rift.

Budget:
$2,000 tops. Not looking to spend money that wouldn't give me a significant gain though.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Gaming, 5

Monitor Resolution
The Oculus Rift DK2 runs at 1080P at 75 Hz, and maintaining minimum frame rate of 75 fps is important to prevent nausea. I will eventually be upgrading an Oculus Rift CV1 (resolution and refresh speed unknown), I know whatever GPU I get today won't work so will be upgrading that when the time comes. Hoping not to need to upgrade everything else, but will do so if needs be.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Elite Dangerous at 75 FPS, Star Citizen at 75FPS. I am willing to lower settings a bit to accomplish this but hopefully not too much. I want a good experience, so if PhysX, Supersampling, CUDA, are needed for this then I want them, but I don't know that I need them.

Looking to reuse any parts
I have a spare wired keyboard and wired mouse. Both just standard Microsoft brand items. Unless it makes a difference, I'll stick with them. I also have a 1080P monitor I can use when not using the Oculus Rift

When will you build
Oculus Rift DK2 is due out sometime in July, so preferably have the PC built by the end of June.

Will you be overclocking
Yes

After doing some research, am thinking the below but want to get a sanity check that this is a good bang for the buck system.

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $339.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i) | $89.99 @ Best Buy
**Motherboard** | [MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97igamingac) | $179.99 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f314900cl9d8gbxl) | $83.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-internal-hard-drive-ct512mx100ssd1) | $219.00 @ Amazon
**Video Card** | [MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-912v308002) | $428.98 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011047ww) | $84.99 @ Amazon
**Power Supply** | [Silverstone Strider Gold S 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-power-supply-st75fgs) | $130.07 @ NCIX US
**Case Fan** | [Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-fan-r4lus07argp) | $14.98 @ OutletPC
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $1571.98
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 20:49 EDT-0400 |
Better performance, less money:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($138.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($478.80 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1492.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-12 23:22 EDT-0400

*edit*

If the 250D requires a shorter PSU, then get the new CM V series, 550W would be enough.

Tablo

Ok just put together cousin's build in his Node.
Power on, fans are working, but getting nothing on the display from either the mobo or 750 Ti -_- Help needed urgently.

scogoth

Ok just put together cousin's build in his Node.
Power on, fans are working, but getting nothing on the display from either the mobo or 750 Ti -_- Help needed urgently.

You tried the only CPU + ram, no hdd/sdd, GPU, etc?

Is there a error code display? Did you plug in the speaker/is there a beep code to lookout?

Tablo

On a 8 pin CPU connector on the motherboard, do I use the pair of 4 pins from my PSU? There is no 8 pin.

When I do this a red light turns on the motherboard ._.

scogoth

On a 8 pin CPU connector on the motherboard, do I use the pair of 4 pins from my PSU? There is no 8 pin.

When I do this a red light turns on the motherboard ._.

Yes you use a pair of 4 pins, it is not the same as an 8 pin GPU connector. If should also work with only one if you want to test that.

scogoth

Where is the red light on the board? Is there writing nearby? Is it the DRAM_LED?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/t-QAAOxyNThTcWgT/$_10.JPG

EDIT: After reading the manual and seeing the only red light is the DRAM_LED, check your ram is properly seated. Try only one stick of RAM, then switch slots, then try the other stick. If it still won't boot, press the power button and wait for the DRAM_LED to light up. Then press and hold the MemOK! button until the DRAM_LED starts blinking, this will set the bios memory settings it the most compatible mode.

sal0713

Neo Member
So I'm new to overclocking, where is a place i can learn to overclock my 4670k? Right now my motherboard came with a overclocking software but when i used it for the 4.2GHz i get temps of 70c+ when running prime 95. I just want some good tips or explanation on how to adjust stuff myself self so i don't get high temps.

anyone can point me in the right direction?

Tablo

That's normal. Some mobos, especially sub-ATX sizes only require 4 pins, hence the split connector.

Have you checked your manual to see what it means?

Yeah FIGURED IT OUT. I took one RAM out, works. I'm gonna try and update the BIOS as I'm 99% sure that's what's being odd. I love you guys.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So, I'm thinking of getting a PC for gaming, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on how I can maybe save some money on it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.88 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.03 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($204.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($53.46 @ DirectCanada)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Spawn Wired Optical Mouse ($26.98 @ NCIX)
Total: $1026.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 00:55 EDT-0400

I live in Canada and I'm trying to keep it around $1000, but preferably less. I'm going to use it for gaming, but I don't need to be able to run every game on the highest settings. I do want to be able to play new games in the next few years at at least medium settings, though.

Ludovico

Desktop just quit booting :/

Hoping it's just the power supply, but I won't be able to fully test that until Sunday night....
Was already planning on a high-end build this winter, but I may be seeing you guys again real soon!

Modular OCZ 700w, this is my second one. The mobo (asus P5Q-E) lights up for both the internal power and reset buttons, but there's zero kick to the system. I unplugged the comp during a thunderstorm earlier this week, and it's always been on a surge protector. Already tested ram and unplugging all non-essentials...
I'm running my Core2Duo at 3.6 instead of it's 3.14, but I've always been mindful of temps and regular dusting....
I can't feel BAD about six years, especiually with overclocking, but I just needed another five months or so :'""(

jfoul

$351.29 with Code: JUNESPER6 and $30 rebate.

PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290 4GB (3 Slot)
  • Core Clock: 1040 MHz
  • Memory Speed: 5400 MHz
  • Components: Digital 7 Phase
  • Warranty: Limited Warranty period (parts): 2 years

tpKsxQ5.jpg

zN6DQfX.jpg

XBP

Guys I need to get a monitor for gaming so i was hoping to get some suggestions on whats the best one to get under 200$?

I see the VS239H-P and VS238H-P listed in the OP. Are these the best choices under 200$? If yes, which one would you recommend? Main use will be gaming and watching movies.

Tablo

Booting off USB with Windows 8.1 off reddit iso.
Tells me something about having a MBR partition, and it wants GPT.
I am confused. Using a Crucial MX100 512GB.

Ark

Guys I need to get a monitor for gaming so i was hoping to get some suggestions on whats the best one to get under 200$?

I see the VS239H-P and VS238H-P listed in the OP. Are these the best choices under 200$? If yes, which one would you recommend? Main use will be gaming and watching movies.

I'm using this, and I love it.

LordAlu

So, I'm thinking of getting a PC for gaming, and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on how I can maybe save some money on it.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.88 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.03 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99)
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($204.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1026.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 00:55 EDT-0400

I live in Canada and I'm trying to keep it around $1000, but preferably less. I'm going to use it for gaming, but I don't need to be able to run every game on the highest settings. I do want to be able to play new games in the next few years at at least medium settings, though.
No case or Windows?

I'd probably drop the CPU down a little, pick up a Z97 board for future CPU upgrade, change the mechanical drive for an SSD, pick the R9 270 (similar in power but cheaper) and lower the power supply a bit myself. Nearly bang on $1000. You can always put in a large mechanical drive later (not the Red though, that's primarily for NAS storage).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.04 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.95 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.78 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($174.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($47.95 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($25.00)
Total: $1001.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-13 03:11 EDT-0400

Logitech upgraded my dying G400 to a G400s during RMA.

Thank baby Jesus I won't have to buy another mouse. The G400s cable looks to have been beefed up compared to the G400, so it'll probably last a while.

Seriously, the cable on the G400 was such a piece of crap it ruined an otherwise excellent mouse.

Nachtmaer

Logitech upgraded my dying G400 to a G400s during RMA.

Thank baby Jesus I won't have to buy another mouse. The G400s cable looks to have been beefed up compared to the G400, so it'll probably last a while.

Seriously, the cable on the G400 was such a piece of crap it ruined an otherwise excellent mouse.

Yeah, I've been there. I replaced my MX518 with a G400 and after a year or so it started disconnecting randomly. After some searching I figured it was the cable. Luckily I kept my MX518 around and I could just swap them out since it uses a USB header.

I'm thinking about getting a new video card, using it for a year or so and then selling it when I build a whole new PC after Skylake and 20mm Maxwell launches.

Your Current Specs:
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5e
Motherboard: Gigabyte UD3 770
GPU: HIS HD 4890 1GB
PSU: OCZ 500W Modular 80+
RAM: 6GB DDR2 800
Processor: Phenom ii X3 720 2.8ghz black edition OC'd to 3.52 w/ a Hyper 212 Plus.

Budget:
US - $200-300.

Main Use:
Gaming + Emulation

Monitor Resolution:
I play on my HDTV so I use either 1280x720, 1600x900 or 1920x1080. Before, I found myself using 720 a lot just because text / ui elements would be too small at higher res.

Would this one be a good choice?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

I've heard great things about the GTX760, but I don't know anything about the differences between manufacturers versions (EVGA vs MSI vs Sapphire vs HIS, etc...).

I'll sell you my Zotac AMP! 680 for 250, if you're interested. Has the performance of a 770, runs nice and cool, and is rather quiet too. Still runs most games beautifully, I was getting 60fps with high settings in Watch Dogs, and I'm only selling it because I got a great deal on a 780ti. Comes with the box and all accessories, plus three Assassin Creed games.

Hope it's no one minds me posting this, apologies if it's frowned upon outside of the B/S/T thread.

Menome

I think my post a couple of days got a bit lost amongst the Haswell news that popped up just after I'd posted it, so I hope it's okay for a one-off bump:

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my graphics card this year before the October Wall of Games™. I currently have a 1GB Geforce GTX 560Ti which has been holding its own for the past few years, but is starting to show its age slightly with newer titles.

I've been looking at this: LINK which is just outside of my £250 budget, but does come with a free download of Watch Dogs which I haven't picked up yet, so it evens itself out. Is that a good higher-end card to go for right now?

I'm going 4GB-single GPU so that I'm future-proofed for this generation, it's got the GDDR5 memory and 256-bit memory bus I was told to look out for elsewhere, but I want to make sure I'm not getting a card that's been noted to have problems outside of review sites (I'm also sticking with Nvidia due to personal preference).

Also, I'm currently running 8GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM, so I'm okay on that front but wondering if my CPU is at risk of bottlenecking things; it's an Intel i5-3750k 3.4Ghz. Is that still good to keep going for at least another couple of years?

Thanks in advance for any help!

kharma45

I think my post a couple of days got a bit lost amongst the Haswell news that popped up just after I'd posted it, so I hope it's okay for a one-off bump:

770 isn't great value tbh, and especially not the 4GB model. Not when you can get a 4GB R9 290 for less cash, or a 3GB 280X for a lot less.

If you're looking to go Nvidia the 780 is the only one I'd go for if you're looking for longevity, but it'll be outside your price bracket by a long shot unless you went used.

kiyomi

It's a bit of a shame you're dead set on Nvidia because a R9 280X or 290 would be absolutely perfect for what you want.

However if you must go Nvidia then thread says the 770 represents bad value and I'm inclined to agree. The 4GB is even worse value honestly, and probably won't do you any favours if you're looking to "futureproof".

I'd sooner go for a 2GB GTX 760 and then sell it and upgrade to a 870 when it releases.

Menome

Okay, I'll perhaps bear the AMD in mind then. I'm just more inclined towards Nvidia as both ATI/AMD cards I've gone for in the past have broken no more than a year in, whilst never having a problem with Nvidia since about 2002 (I tend to upgrade cards approximately every two years). Probably just bad luck and whilst I did get free replacements under the warranty, I feel more confident in an Nvidia card based on past performance.

riflen

Not sure more opinion is needed, but to echo what kharma and monosukoi have said; nvidia offers poor value in your price bracket. The 290 is faster and cheaper and the 280X will perform very similarly to the 770 (perhaps slightly behind), but is even more affordable.

I agree with monosukoi here, if you want nvidia now, buy a 760 2GB and flip it when the 800 series arrives in 6-8 months.

Nachtmaer

Not sure more opinion is needed, but to echo what kharma and monosukoi have said; nvidia offers poor value in your price bracket. The 290 is faster and cheaper and the 280X will perform very similarly to the 770 (perhaps slightly behind), but is even more affordable.

I agree with monosukoi here, if you want nvidia now, buy a 760 2GB and flip it when the 800 series arrives in 6-8 months.

I was about to say the same thing. I'd add that since he wants something new towards October, he could wait and see what Nvidia/AMD might launch before then. 20nm is out of the question this year (if it comes at all), but plenty of rumors indicate that new stuff on 28nm could launch by then.

riflen

Does AMD have an equivalent to Geforce Experience?

I believe this is called Raptr. It provides a similar quick game config feature, but I've no firsthand experience I'm afraid.
There is definitely no AMD equivalent to the Shadow play feature of GFE though.

Menome

Had a look around on the AMD side of things, and found an R9 280X going on Amazon for £210: LINK.

At that price I'll give AMD another go, but it had better behave itself this time. ;)

kiyomi

Had a look around on the AMD side of things, and found an R9 280X going on Amazon for £210: LINK.

At that price I'll give AMD another go, but it had better behave itself this time. ;)

I'd actually avoid XFX, I believe they have one of the poorer warranties and customer service for the UK.

Probably be better off with the MSI: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-...0mhz-gddr5-gpu-1000mhz-boost-1050mhz-2048-str

Also don't forget, if you buy from Amazon, you don't get free games.

I'm looking at the same card, seems like a good match for the 4670k. Software wise I think I prefer nvidia a small bit but they don't seem to be delivering on price to performance at my budget so AMD seems like a good alternative.

Durante

Just for the record, I'm currently using a 770 4GB. It's not that bad, at all :p
(Helps that it runs at 1.25 Ghz GPU and some silly high memory frequency with no complaints)

Menome

I'd actually avoid XFX, I believe they have one of the poorer warranties and customer service for the UK.

I was wondering about that side of things, as XFX isn't a manufacturer I'd heard of before seeing that card. Thanks for the Scan link, I'll grab the MSI one instead, never had a problem with their products before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom