• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
VRM either getting too hot, memory clocked too high, or not enough volts.

Well that's strange, since the temp on the card was just 55, and I haven't messed with overclocking or anything. I had "power saving formula" on my Asus z97-A set to automatic, maybe that was it? I set it to performance, reset my computer, played W2 for 20 minutes and all is fine, for now. I also had ubersampling on (for kicks), which I've now disabled.

Soi-Fong

So my 780 Ti Classified is fucking amazing.. It's kicking every game's ass that I throw at it.. Such an incredible upgrade from my HD 5970.

Soi-Fong

Benchmark for Fire Strike is crazy!! This card is amazing! I think it's converted me to Team Green. lol

BPR.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Well that's strange, since the temp on the card was just 55, and I haven't messed with overclocking or anything. I had "power saving formula" on my Asus z97-A set to automatic, maybe that was it? I set it to performance, reset my computer, played W2 for 20 minutes and all is fine, for now. I also had ubersampling on (for kicks), which I've now disabled.
VRM is different than GPU. What card?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
My motherboard decided to take a shit a few days ago. I tried to go and buy a new one at microcenter but they only had a couple options that were all $200+ since its an older processor. Can anyone pleass help me find one under $100 for a 3770k? The one i had was an asus so i would like to avoid them because it gave me a ton of problems.

Ok, so this is weird. I ordered a new mobo and it came today. I took everything off the mobo besides the processor and decided to try and turn it on again just to make sure. Lo and behold, fans started spinning and the bios screen booted. I put the ram sticks back in 1 by 1 and tried it twice and they were both fine. Put in the video card, fearing the worst and it booted fine. Plugged in my cheap ass wireless card, and it booted fine. I wonder what the fuck it was? Oh well, just RMAd the new mobo. Weird.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Ok, so this is weird. I ordered a new mobo and it came today. I took everything off the mobo besides the processor and decided to try and turn it on again just to make sure. Lo and behold, fans started spinning and the bios screen booted. I put the ram sticks back in 1 by 1 and tried it twice and they were both fine. Put in the video card, fearing the worst and it booted fine. Plugged in my cheap ass wireless card, and it booted fine. I wonder what the fuck it was? Oh well, just RMAd the new mobo. Weird.

---- aaand now it just turned off again randomly. I'm at the end of my rope here. Anyone have any idea what it could be? No blue screen or anything. Just completely turns off randomly. CPU and GPU temp are in the 30s. This was happening shortly after I built it, and I replaced the PSU. It still happened randomly after that, but it was working fine for about 8 months until it started acting up again last week.

jett

D-Member
VRM is different than GPU. What card?

It's a Gigabyte R9 280X with 3X windforce fans. First time it happened. Only other problem I have with my computer is my XFX 650W power supply getting super loud during graphically intensive games, like The Witcher 2, Crysis 2 and AssCreed 4, not sure if that could be related.

Renekton

---- aaand now it just turned off again randomly. I'm at the end of my rope here. Anyone have any idea what it could be? No blue screen or anything. Just completely turns off randomly. CPU and GPU temp are in the 30s. This was happening shortly after I built it, and I replaced the PSU. It still happened randomly after that, but it was working fine for about 8 months until it started acting up again last week.
What brand/how old is your PSU?

The last time that happened to me, it was unrated CM PSU slowly giving way and not feeding enough power to the lines, resulting in random shutdowns or blacks.

(edit)

jett

D-Member
That's VCC. VRM is what feeds and regulates voltages to the card.

My oc'd 290 runs 60C core and VRM1 hits >85C and causes artifacting on heavy overclock.

Use Gpu-z to check vrm temps.

The only temp Gpu-Z gives me is "GPU Temperature", there's nothing about VRM. VDDC says 0.850 V.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Renekton

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

It's this one. Less than a year old.

http://i.imgur.com/RTNEJax.png

Here's the rest of my setup if it helps. I'm just incredibly frustrated with this thing. Nothing is overclocked either.
Maybe see if your friend can lend you a PSU to test.

I had the exact same symptoms as you late last year, random shutdowns without bluescreens, sometimes with fan still running. At first suspected the old x58 mobo after turning off all OCs, but it was the CM PSU just not doing its job barely 6 months after installing it. I replaced it with a gold-rated and it was okay after that. Edit: another possibility is the 6/8-pin power connection to GPU were a bit loose.

(I could be wrong, other GAFers here might have better ideas)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Maybe see if your friend can lend you a PSU to test.

I had the exact same symptoms as you late last year, random shutdowns without bluescreens, sometimes with fan still running. At first suspected the old x58 mobo after turning off all OCs, but it was the CM PSU just not doing its job barely 6 months after installing it. I replaced it with a gold-rated and it was okay after that.

(I could be wrong, other GAFers here might have better ideas)

Thanks. Once my RMA goes through for the mobo and I get my money back I'll try a new PSU. I don't have any friends with gaming PCs or I would try a different PSU lol. Sounds like you went through the same process I did with suspecting the mobo for no reason.

Also, should I stop using the PC? It's working fine now. Can I hurt anything with these random outages? I really don't wanna keep using my Wii U to surf the internet.

Dunbar

Just went and picked up my 4790K at Microcenter in Columbus, OH. $300 with tax. Now all I need is a PSU and a case and I'll be ready to do the build, probably over the July 4th weekend. Looking forward to finally being done with it.

SDJGreen

Banned
Hey guys,

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to the insides of a PC. I'm looking to buy (or build, if it isn't too difficult) but I don't really know where to start...

The main issue is budget, I'm a student so I can't go crazy on price. I'm looking at somewhere around £500 - not including monitor etc.
I want to sort of get myself started, so the idea is to get something that has room for improvement over time as I get more cash to swap parts/add parts.

I'd really be looking to run things like Skyrim at first, maybe Battlefield. Would love to play The Witcher.

Is this an unrealistic expectation? The main issue I've had with getting into PC gaming is the cost. Its hard to find a PC that can run certain games as well as consoles for even close to the same price, from what I've seen at least.

If someone could sort of point me in the right direction that would be great.

I've had a little look around and I quite like what I've seen of this, although it's a little pricey, but at least it has Windows installed already: http://www.ebuyer.com/580734-chillblast-fusion-sword-gaming-pc-cbfusword

AnAngryPillock

Neo Member
So my 780 Ti Classified is fucking amazing.. It's kicking every game's ass that I throw at it.. Such an incredible upgrade from my HD 5970.

Congrats on the upgrade. I absolutely love my Ti. It destroys anything I throw at it while remaining quiet and relatively cool; It was also able to OC to 1.3 GHz.

Is it 20 nm?

Edit: Woohoo! This just came in! Can't wait to try it out! So is Watch Dogs worth it or should I just sell it?

ROR.jpg

I have that same card. Love it.

Only problem I've had with it was probably more related to my motherboard(P8P67 Pro). The card would make Windows take a long time to boot and I couldn't see the POST screen unless I put the bios into legacy mode. The EVGA tech support was great and solved the issue on the 2nd attempt to find the problem.

So I am thinking about doing a full build soon.

Your Current Specs: Put together this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Y33DkL
Budget: Under $1500-1700 w/ monitor (long shot)
Main Use: Gaming, software dev including running dev dbs and application server instances
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Goals: Witcher 3 at 60+fps. Oculus rift usage eventually.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe

Just wondering what you guys think. If possible I would like to shave $100 more off of the price. I was thinking about doing that be either dropping the processor to an i5 or getting a GTX 760 rather than 780. I am curious about the new AMD cards, but from what I recall they always have driver issues. Anything you guys would change here?

mkenyon

Banned
If you are building for Witcher 3, wait for it. There should be new video cards by then.

I'd drop the HDD, DVD drive, and Win 8. Get a key from reddit.com/r/softwateswap. Go for the 512GB MX100. That would drop your price and give you a giant SSD.

Wow, I knew Microcenter made up for the cheap CPU's and mobo's by charging more for other items, but the 780 TI Classified is almost $100 more than Amazon.

If you are building for Witcher 3, wait for it. There should be new video cards by then.

I'd drop the HDD, DVD drive, and Win 8. Get a key from reddit.com/r/softwateswap. Go for the 512GB MX100. That would drop your price and give you a giant SSD.

I can technically get the windows 8 key from my work. It's just sort of iffy. I'd rather not use software swap cause I never trust that to be legitimate.

The hdd thing is interesting, I hadn't really even thought about it. I could also harvest a DVD-rom from my old tower so that's not a necessity and something I was considering. I think in general I'd rather just take a price cut though.

Anyway, it's not just for Witcher 3, I just want to upgrade in general. I just want to make sure that if I do upgrade a game like that is going to run on whatever I get. If that's a stretch I definitely will wait.

Nitte

Neo Member
So I'm planing on building my first PC within the next month, don't really know to much of what I'm doing but have created an initial build based on the 'Excellent build' in the OP:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($105.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($439.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($119.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.00 @ CPL Online)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($25.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1582.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Budget of about $1600 from Australia.
I plan on using this for gaming in 1080p for the latest titles like the Witcher 3 in 60fps and whatever comes after, and also have the intent to overclock at some point as well.
Now some of the things I'm unsure of are is the motherboard and the PSU, as in I just chose the one from the build and don't really know what my other options are and what I would get for a different PSU if 750w is overkill?
Also any advise on the build in general would be welcome.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is anyone still repping a 920 on a socket 1366 on an x58+ chipset besides me? I was just reminded because my backup rig's 60 GB first gen SSD died yesterday and I decided to see how much I can modernize it without spending money on new processor and mobo.

I have a PT6 so I got a Corsair H54 liquid cooler to which I plan to put in my smaller case running a more modern Core i7 3930K and move the NH-D14 I have on that machine to replace the stock cooler on my 920. I hope to potentially bump up the clock with this.

I also ordered two 240 GB SSD which I plan to mirror because I want speed and also to not have another failure happen in the middle of me watching animu like it did ;_;

Is it worth it to buy an modern video card for this PT6 x58+ chipset mobo with PCI Express 2.0? Sure I can get a generation or two older like a 680 or 580 or whatever those cards are but will I be performance limited? Can I breath life into the 920? or should I save my money. This rig was state of the art when I built it... in fact, the triple-channel DD3 ram was barely on the market and the Video Card I order was a EVGA GTX 260 which did the job. I just want to be able to drive a 1920x1200 screen at a descent 60 Hz for modern games if I go through with this upgrade. Is it a fool's errand?

So I think I may have another problem now... maybe. I was playing L4D2, when I start smelling a burnt odor from the PC. I immediately close the game and turn off the PC, start to ventilate the room and then open the PC to check inside. I don't see anything wrong, and the smell is gone. Then I start PC again, and everything is normal. Played some games for a few hours, no smell and no problems.

One thing I noticed though is that these days my PC gets louder when I play. It did the same last summer... it's the weather I guess.

So should I take this as a problem?

SHADES

So I think I may have another problem now... maybe. I was playing L4D2, when I start smelling a burnt odor from the PC. I immediately close the game and turn off the PC, start to ventilate the room and then open the PC to check inside. I don't see anything wrong, and the smell is gone. Then I start PC again, and everything is normal. Played some games for a few hours, no smell and no problems.

One thing I noticed though is that these days my PC gets louder when I play. It did the same last summer... it's the weather I guess.

So should I take this as a problem?

Stupid question but here goes, you've cleaned it out, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys,

I know absolutely nothing when it comes to the insides of a PC. I'm looking to buy (or build, if it isn't too difficult) but I don't really know where to start...

The main issue is budget, I'm a student so I can't go crazy on price. I'm looking at somewhere around £500 - not including monitor etc.
I want to sort of get myself started, so the idea is to get something that has room for improvement over time as I get more cash to swap parts/add parts.

I'd really be looking to run things like Skyrim at first, maybe Battlefield. Would love to play The Witcher.

Is this an unrealistic expectation? The main issue I've had with getting into PC gaming is the cost. Its hard to find a PC that can run certain games as well as consoles for even close to the same price, from what I've seen at least.

I've had a little look around and I quite like what I've seen of this, although it's a little pricey, but at least it has Windows installed already: http://www.ebuyer.com/580734-chillblast-fusion-sword-gaming-pc-cbfusword

challenging price, but I'm sure you could put something together. I think you might need to compromise in a couple of areas to get the best bang for your buck. Eg
1) stick with a HDD rather than an SSD. Games will load a little slower, but in-game performance shouldn't be compromised too much. You can add an SSD down the line when you can. Alternatively go for a small SSD only, but compromise by only having space to install a couple of large games at a time. Then add a HDD later for more storage (this will have the advantage of not needing to reinstall windows too)

2) consider alternative CPUs. The OP recommends i5 k series CPU for overclocking etc. But if you go non-K you can save a bit of money on both the CPU and motherboard. Not a huge amount, but at that price point every little helps. Or even look at older CPUs - maybe you can pick up a 2500k on the cheap

3) no optical drive. Just wastes money really - everything is download these days

4) windows key from reddit for £10-15, saves you a fortune

5) build it yourself.

6) go used - maybe you can't get a fully built one, but you might be able to find someone ditching a motherboard/CPU/Ram combo as they are upgrading, or even just the CPU.

Then after all that, pile whatever money you have left into the best GPU you can get. Again, while things like the AMD R9s and Nvidia 7xx are the 'new' ones, the lower end range (which is where your budget will be) are basically rebadged last generation models. So you might be able to find a decent older GPU (possibly used)

Dries

Stupid question but here goes, you've cleaned it out, right?

I also sometimes have this. It doesn't really odor a "burn smell", but just like a strong plastic smell. Anyway, my real question is:

What are the best cleaning methods? Which areas require special attention? And how often etc etc etc...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys,

how about something like this (experts may want to tweak some bits but should give you an idea for the price)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vykBhM

£560
- 8GB RAM
- i5 4430
- MX100 256GB SSD (should keep you going long enough until you add a HDD in 6-12 months)
- MSI R9 280
- assumes you buy a windows key from reddit for about £10-15

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
Hey guys, just finalising my first build before I purchase.

Can a few of you check this over for me and see if this is a decent enough build and what would you change?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Dy4fFT

I like the idea of the i7 but I don't really have the extra money to get it. It may have to be an upgrade plan in the future.

EDIT: I'm really trying to keep it below £900.00.

kharma45

Hey guys, just finalising my first build before I purchase.

Can a few of you check this over for me and see if this is a decent enough build and what would you change?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

I like the idea of the i7 but I don't really have the extra money to get it. It may have to be an upgrade plan in the future.

EDIT: I'm really trying to keep it below £900.00.

Your links aren't work for the price on the GPU and a few other things.

Foxyone

For the sake of making a $400 build, would it make any sense to tweak the Budget build on page 1 by instead using a ~$40 micro ATX case with a 300w PSU (saving $35 on a PSU), switching to a 500GB HDD (saving ~$10), and switching to a 2GB GTX 750 (same price) for a total of $400?

Stubo

how about something like this (experts may want to tweak some bits but should give you an idea for the price)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/vykBhM

£560
- 8GB RAM
- i5 4430
- MX100 256GB SSD (should keep you going long enough until you add a HDD in 6-12 months)
- MSI R9 280
- assumes you buy a windows key from reddit for about £10-15
I'd say the 4460 is worth the extra £7, I would also prefer an evga 500b over the corsair psu and you can shave a few quid off with a gigabyte gpu. An extra £20 would get you a sapphire 280x though.

Extremely solid recommendation though!

My changes :)

Edit: hmm, not sure about the bios update note regarding using Haswell refresh cpus. Maybe best to go 4440 if there's no confirmation on that.

54-46!

It's that time of the year.. I'm on the fence about buying a new PC once again, anyway - what 2x8GB memory would you recommend for this build?

LWAaT6a.jpg

+ 7950 3GB and 840 EVO 256GB from my current build.

I will probably attempt to overclock at some point.

Is anyone still repping a 920 on a socket 1366 on an x58+ chipset besides me?

Hell yes, it's a beast of a chip. Overclocks like a champ too, so you can OC the hell out of it (I have vague memories that D0 may OC better than C0 or something, it was so long ago though).

Last I heard, Durante was also rocking a 920.

Amazing processor :)

Mine's paired with an R9 270, nothing too amazing but games run great at 1680x1050 (my monitor res).

One day (Witcher 3 time... or at least once I'm back from travelling late next year) I'll be building myself something shiny and new but no need right now.

Hi there PCGAF .. please bare with me .. I've managed to construe a bit of a conundrum for myself ..

I had planned on getting an MSI Ghost Pro GS60 in around September as I'll be heading back to college night classes for a CompSci course and figured I'd go mad with a Laptop that could double as a gaming lapper in my spare time.

I've a Panny GT60 so all I require is to output games at ultra at 1080p (Witcher 3 in particular).

But the closer I get to purchase time, and after spending time in this thread, I'm beginning to consider just building a PC for home (HAZ's Enthusiast would come in around 1100Euros) and then spend the remainder on a College Laptop with a somewhat decent screen, processor etc (I plan on doing some Data Analytics and Modelling so could do with a GPU for the processing power in the laptop too)

So what would GAF recommend? Would Haz's Enthusiast be upgradable to 4K if I ever get around to upgrading my TV? Any recommendations on a Mid-Level Laptop with a killer screen and lightweight? Lenovo? Asus? I'm a tad out of touch with the latest lappers as I've just been focused on the MSI Ghost Pro this year, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry for the long post .. .

TLDR: Stick with purchasing the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro or split and get a HAZ Enthusiast PC and a mid-range laptop with the remainder of the funds?

if you don't mind copying and pasting that post about yea far (and adding a blurb that conforms to the end of its first post's requirements for the prospective mid-range laptop), that thread's probably gonna be able to help you out a lot more w/ the laptop end of that decision.

kharma45

Consider going smaller? I also wouldn't pair that mobo with that CPU

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£160.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£76.91 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£58.72 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£228.95 @ Ebuyer)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: CoolerMaster Silencio 352 Black Matt Edition USB3 MicroATX Mini-ITX Case (£45.63)
Other: be quiet! BN181 Pure Power L8 530W CM Modular 80+ Bronze QUIET Power Supply (PSU) (£48.64)
Total: £809.13

if you don't mind copying and pasting that post about yea far (and adding a blurb that conforms to the end of its first post's requirements for the prospective mid-range laptop), that thread's probably gonna be able to help you out a lot more w/ the laptop end of that decision.

Cheers for the advice ... the first few posts there give me ample info on the current laptop environment.

Just one question ... would Haz's current Enthusiast build be suitable for games on the horizon for another 2-3 years @1080p? Espesh the Witcher 3 ...

(would be considering 4K after that and would most likely have to upgrade anyway)

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
Consider going smaller? I also wouldn't pair that mobo with that CPU

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£160.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£76.91 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£58.72 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£228.95 @ Ebuyer)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: CoolerMaster Silencio 352 Black Matt Edition USB3 MicroATX Mini-ITX Case (£45.63)
Other: be quiet! BN181 Pure Power L8 530W CM Modular 80+ Bronze QUIET Power Supply (PSU) (£48.64)
Total: £809.13

Yeah that looks much better really, bigger SSD. The only thing really, I do a lot of video editing/photoshop work for my job. I would probably need 16GB of RAM... should I just go for the corsair vengeance 16GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom