• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

Well, it's definitely not overheating. Try running normal fullscreen instead of borderless. How are you measuring framerate, by the way?

RAM speed can affect Battlefield 4 quite a bit, so go ahead and try XMP. What memory do you have and what speed is it running at? Actually, you might as well just tell us your system specs.

i get conflicting information from my bios, gigabyte easytune, hwinfo, and CPU-Z. I THINK that my ram is now running xmp 1.3 @ 2133 mhz. With that corrected I am now getting 70-80fps on bf4 ultra @ 1080.

Here's the build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($140.00)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($310.00)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($69.99)
Total: $1291.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-09 02:11 EST-0500

My Bios says my chip is not overclocked, but hwinfo shows it running @ 4.3, as does easytune and cpuz. Bios shows correct ram speed and xmp profile, as does cpuz, but easytune says xmp is off. It's all too confusing lol. The good news is it seems to be running blazing fast.

RGM79

i get conflicting information from my bios, gigabyte easytune, hwinfo, and CPU-Z. I THINK that my ram is now running xmp 1.3 @ 2133 mhz. With that corrected I am now getting 70-80fps on bf4 ultra @ 1080.

Here's the build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($65.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($140.00)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($52.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($159.99)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($310.00)
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($125.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) ($69.99)
Total: $1291.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-09 02:11 EST-0500

My Bios says my chip is not overclocked, but hwinfo shows it running @ 4.3, as does easytune and cpuz. Bios shows correct ram speed and xmp profile, as does cpuz, but easytune says xmp is off. It's all too confusing lol. The good news is it seems to be running blazing fast.

Excellent, looks like the problem was solved then. Sure is a waste to have high speed RAM and not enable the higher speed, it always defaults to 1333MHz or 1600MHz for compatibiltity reasons.

Weird how hardware detecting programs are always a bit off like that. In the case of your BIOS, it might be that the higher clock speed setting isn't applied until Windows has started. I'm sure I've seen an option in Asus BIOS to set when clock speed should be ramped up during BIOS or after.

RGM79

So i wont be traveling a lot now. so thinking of buying a desktop PC. I will need all the parts.

My budget is around 1k$ beside windows mouse and keyboard.

This is a shop in Saudi Arabia

Here's what I recommend, assuming you're interested in PC games. The shop's selection is a bit small and Corsair seems to be very popular in the store, so most of the parts are Corsair branded. If you don't like the look of the case, you can choose something else. The only problem is that the Western Digital hard drive is out of stock, only Seagate hard drives are in stock. I stopped recommending Seagate as their hard drives tend to have a higher failure rate than Western Digital hard drives.

Are there any other shops you know of that sell computer parts?

Fezan

Here's what I recommend, assuming you're interested in PC games. The shop's selection is a bit small and Corsair seems to be very popular in the store, so most of the parts are Corsair branded. If you don't like the look of the case, you can choose something else. The only problem is that the Western Digital hard drive is out of stock, only Seagate hard drives are in stock. I stopped recommending Seagate as their hard drives tend to have a higher failure rate than Western Digital hard drives.

Are there any other shops you know of that sell computer parts?

Online there isn't much presence

here are two others which i know of
http://www.gltsa.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=25
http://www.asbis-saudi.com/

Also one question do i need cpu fan if i don't tend to overclock ?

Also isn't it well over 1k$ budget it looks like a lot more

Is there any indication of when the latest Titan will be announced? Really feeling the new to upgrade my 780Ti, just can't get the performance and IQ I want at 1440P with newer games. Gsync does help though.

Kezen

Banned
Is there any indication of when the latest Titan will be announced? Really feeling the new to upgrade my 780Ti, just can't get the performance and IQ I want at 1440P with newer games. Gsync does help though.

Word on the street is that a GM200 powered Titan will be revealed at GDC.

LilJoka

Am i right in saying thats around 3700 SR?
Maybe something like this

HfNqz4I.jpg

RGM79

Well, for the above list you do because a CPU fan isn't included. Don't worry about it, I'll make a new parts list for you.

I thought the 1k$ was a typo and you meant 10K in Saudi Riyal. I didn't notice the Dollar sign in the upper right corner. My mistake.

Edit: LilJoka's parts list is better than mine. It's stronger for games and has a larger hard drive.

Fezan

Am i right in saying thats around 3700 SR?
Maybe something like this

HfNqz4I.jpg

Well, for the above list you do because a CPU fan isn't included. Don't worry about it, I'll make a new parts list for you.

I thought the 1k$ was a typo and you meant 10K in Saudi Riyal. I didn't notice the Dollar sign in the upper right corner. My mistake.

Edit: LilJoka's parts list is better than mine. It's stronger for games and has a larger hard drive.

Thank You both of you :)

One question if somehow i stretch my budget and get gtx970 would the processor be bottleneck or not ? any other issues ?

LilJoka

Thank You both of you :)

One question if somehow i stretch my budget and get gtx970 would the processor be bottleneck or not ? any other issues ?

Would be fine. I started off with the GTX 970 but reduced to the R9 270X to fit in the budget. GTX 970 makes this an excellent build.

Fezan

Would be fine. I started off with the GTX 970 but reduced to the R9 270X to fit in the budget. GTX 970 makes this an excellent build.

Power supply issue? or bottleneck from CPU ? promise last question after that ill go out and buy right now

RGM79

Power supply issue? or bottleneck from CPU ? promise last question after that ill go out and buy right now

The 4670K won't bottleneck a GTX 970. It's a good CPU that will last you the next 3 years for games and almost any graphics cards upgrades you may do in the meantime, even longer when overclocked.

Inspired by Liljoka's choices, I went back and redid my parts list. The hard drive is still small because the 1TB model is out of stock, but for 4085 Riyal I managed to fit in a decent quality CPU cooler that will allow CPU overclocking, and a 600 watt power supply that is more comfortable for future graphics cards upgrades.

Edit: this parts list is just an alternative to Liljoka's parts list. His is a more compact but equally powerful PC. My parts make a larger PC but has more room for expansion.

My GTX 670 is shipping off to a buyer today, thanks for the memories lil buddy.

My GTX 970 is arriving today, but I've been in an anxiety induced fever since I ordered it. I had a basic understanding of the vram issue and ordered it anyway, but reading more into it I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. However I can't tell how much of it is just fanboys wars and nvidia hatred.

I'm only at 1080p and don't see myself going higher for this build. I'm on a 2500K @ 4.5 ghz build from 2011, so I don't think I'll go higher in resolution until my next full build in a few years.

Do you think I have reason to worry? Is 3.5 GB more than enough right now? I know that recent games are pushing 3GB even at 1080p, like Dying Light and Mordor.

I'm sitting on an R9 290 in my Amazon cart as a replacement if I decide to return the 970. The 290 is also $70 cheaper.

Ok £ prices pleased.

How much am I looking at to play MGS5 at max settings 1080p? Would it be worth it to play on PC over PS4? Also I want max settings PS2, PSP, Wii and Gamecube emulation.

Never had a Gaming PC before. Current PC is a MacBook Air.

Kezen

Banned
Ok £ prices pleased.

How much am I looking at to play MGS5 at max settings 1080p? Would it be worth it to play on PC over PS4? Also I want max settings PS2, PSP, Wii and Gamecube emulation.

Never had a Gaming PC before. Current PC is a MacBook Air.

Do you think we can see the future ? Seriously how can you expect us to know what PC will be needed for max settings in a game not released ?

Given that the game is 1080p/60 on PS4 it will already provide a very good experience.

Gumbie

My GTX 670 is shipping off to a buyer today, thanks for the memories lil buddy.

My GTX 970 is arriving today, but I've been in an anxiety induced fever since I ordered it. I had a basic understanding of the vram issue and ordered it anyway, but reading more into it I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice. However I can't tell how much of it is just fanboys wars and nvidia hatred.

I'm only at 1080p and don't see myself going higher for this build. I'm on a 2500K @ 4.5 ghz build from 2011, so I don't think I'll go higher in resolution until my next full build in a few years.

Do you think I have reason to worry? Is 3.5 GB more than enough right now? I know that recent games are pushing 3GB even at 1080p, like Dying Light and Mordor.

I'm sitting on an R9 290 in my Amazon cart as a replacement if I decide to return the 970. The 290 is also $70 cheaper.

Just curious how much the 290 is you're looking at? You can get the MSI 290X right now with rebate for $279

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127773&cm_re=290x-_-14-127-773-_-Product

Windam

Scaley member
Carbide 330R or Phantom 410 for a new case? Both are budget cases, and the 330R can be had for $110 at Canada Computers after price matching while the Phantom is on sale for $95 right now.

RGM79

Carbide 330R or Phantom 410 for a new case? Both are budget cases, and the 330R can be had for $110 at Canada Computers after price matching while the Phantom is on sale for $95 right now.
The Phantom is better for airflow. The 330R is better for sound-reducing. I personally like the looks of the Corsair Carbide series more, but I think you'll be better served by the NZXT Phantom. It's worth noting that if you're worried about noise, the Phantom comes with a fan controller for up to 6 fans, and the Phantom already comes with 2x120mm and 1x140mm fans.

aaronbst

Banned
I was looking to get a 960 to upgrade from my amd 6670, but people elsewhere said it was a bad deal for the performance. What should i get?

i have a i5-2300, a 700w cooler master, 16 gigs of ram and a budget of tax return

Windam

Scaley member
The Phantom is better for airflow. The 330R is better for sound-reducing. I personally like the looks of the Corsair Carbide series more, but I think you'll be better served by the NZXT Phantom. It's worth noting that if you're worried about noise, the Phantom comes with a fan controller for up to 6 fans, and the Phantom already comes with 2x120mm and 1x140mm fans.

Thanks for the info. I'll admit I'm leaning towards the Carbide since it can house huge graphics cards and the space between the ODD and HDD bays looks lke it would allow a nice amount of air through. Either case would be able to fit a HyperMaster 212 EVO, though, right?

SRG01

The parts in your build are imbalanced. The hard drive is very overpriced, while the basic motherboard is older and not as well featured. Actually, the motherboard may not work with the i7 4790 out of the box because H81 motherboards need a BIOS update to work with Haswell Refresh line of processors that includes the 4790. Also, the 4790 cannot overclock, only Intel K model processors like the i5 4690K and i7 4790K can be overclocked. If you want the ability to overclock, it will come at a cost premium as I recommend a Z97 motherboard for it.

You also chose a laptop sized (2.5") hybrid hard drive. That WD hard drive is mainly meant for laptops as a way to save space as it combines a 1TB 5400RPM hard drive with a 120GB SSD in one package. It's also extremely expensive for the amount of storage it offers.

1. All motherboard should have options for overclocking, but it varies from model to model. I expect enthusiast level motherboards (Z87/Z97) to have more and better tinkering options than budget minded H81/B85 motherboards. I'm not exactly sure what you read about Haswell being hot, but the 212 Evo should be more than good enough to handle the 4790's TDP.

For undervolting it's hard to say, actually. Best options are to search around user comments/reviews and ask if anyone's successfully undervolted with a specific motherboard model, or stick to Z97 and maybe H97 enthusiast motherboards for that.

2. It depends, but usually cases come with fans. I know the Cooler Master N200 you selected was reviewed by Tweaktown and they liked it for good design and strong construction. The design allows for good airflow, but they noted that temperatures were average and it does need extra fans to do better.

3. I'll look for a case. I assume you want it compact with good airflow more than anything else? By "headphone and USB ports at the bottom of the case", do you mean you will have the case upright on a table and want the ports low and in front for easy access? There are few to no cases like that, usually the buttons and ports are all located either front facing at the top or upward facing on top of the case. The Cooler Master N200 won't lay perfectly flat as the side panels bulge outward.

Almost all cases are designed with upper frontal USB and headphone ports... what about standing the case upside down? You can buy stick-on rubber feet for less than $3 and that will help balance the case.

4. As for Canadian prices.. it varies, really. About 4 months ago I picked up a Toshiba 3TB hard drive for $99 CAD on sale, now a decent 2TB costs around $95 CAD. I don't know of any upcoming sales.

I'm working on a parts list for you, but some answers to whether or not you want overclocking and whether you want a compact PC will help to narrow down choices.

My replies :)

- No overclocking, but I do want undervolting. My room is a little enclosed so any system on load, whether it be my PS3 or whatever, will warm up the room quite easily. A lot of posts have mentioned that they've OCed the Pentium chip on this board, but I can't find any references on undervolting for the i7s. However, I did locate voltage and OC options inside the motherboard's manual. As well, I've found the BIOS update already... but can modern boards these days POST and enter BIOS without the CPU?

- As far as the Haswell heat concerns go, I've already read some posts with max load temps of greater than 80C. I know those temps are well within reasonable limits, but again it's more about my operating environment than anything else.

- I'm currently looking into the detailed specs for the case, and it looks like there's enough space for three additional fans. Not bad at all.

- It's kind of strange, because I'm used to some of the older mid-towers or corporate machines, which has the USB/audio connects on the lower-half of the front panel. At any rate, it's not a huge priority especially if there's a huge cost difference and I'm not entirely comfortable standing the case upside down lol.

- Lastly, the HDD/SDD option was a bit of a brain fart on my part. I've seen 128GB last-gen SSDs (or maybe last-last-gen?) on sale for under $80-90CAD on a regular basis and 7200 drives are super cheap, so it might be better to buy a 1TB WD Blue and upgrade to a small SSD later. How easy is it to migrate to a SSD boot drive these days?

edit: New build here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vwxRyc Changes are the HDD and wireless network card. Also, regarding the case, front-panel USB/audio placement like this Rosewill case http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vwxRyc is also acceptable.

edit2: Oh hey, I just found one: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004ASW73G/ but it comes with a PSU...

Actually I just did an online chat with Amazon in an attempt to get them to price match the 290x from Newegg, instead they offered me a 15% refund on my GTX 970 order. Looks like I'm keeping the 970, much easier to swallow at $290 instead of $340.

Amazon customer service is straight ridiculous.

RGM79

Thanks for the info. I'll admit I'm leaning towards the Carbide since it can house huge graphics cards and the space between the ODD and HDD bays looks lke it would allow a nice amount of air through. Either case would be able to fit a HyperMaster 212 EVO, though, right?
If you're not interested in the 330R's sound reducing features, look for the cheaper 300R instead, it's only $80 at NCIX and is the same as the 330R except for styling differences and the sound reduction. You can probably get Canada Computers to PM NCIX. The 300R comes with the same fans and has slightly better airflow than the 330R.

That said, the Phantom 410 can also remove the middle drive cage to to allow allow more open space in there.

Yep, all of them will fit the 212 Evo. Oddly enough, the NZXT website doesn't list it, but several reviews for the Phantom 410 note that the packaging cardboard lists 170mm clearance.

b0bbyJ03

Is anyone here familiar with the step-up process from EVGA? I'm doing a step up from the 970 to the 980. According to my tracking info my 970 was delivered Friday at 11:50 AM but I have not received any emails from them indicating that they received anything and if I log into their website my the Received portion of my step up shows as Pending. Just trying to figure out when how long I should wait before I call. If anyone has experience with them I'd love to hear you opinion. Thanks.

Just got my new monitor : benq RL2455HM (60hz, tn panel, 1 ms response time, low input lag)

impressions for those who might be in the market for a monitor:
I'm coming from a crt so the shock was always going to be there but...

-24" is too big for 1080p, the pixel density sucks, clearly visible pixels
-the TN panel is even worse than I expected, holy shit the colors and general image quality SUCK even after some calibration, it is as bad as any random shitty laptop screen I've ever used and hated.
Reviews said the image quality was pretty good for a TN panel, I assumed that meant it would be a lot less bad than those cheap laptop screens, I was wrong.
My VA panel TV looks infinitely much better despite being old as hell.

-16/9 for a desktop monitor feels off, it sucks for browsing (my crt was 4:3)

-1ms response time means little, it's still blurry as shit with overdrive on (thanks for nothing sample and hold), if this is noticably better than an 8 ms non gaming panel or an 8ms ips panel I don't want to imagine how bad the blur is on those...

I knew it would be a huge step down from my (sadly broken) crt but I was not prepared for this. I bought this with the intent of using it as a second monitor as soon as I find a good va panel (or preferably oled panel) fit for gaming so it's not a total waste of money, but I'm still considering returning it.

About to try it in some games to see how useable it is if at all...
I'm always cynical and very negative about lcd tech and somehow this thing STILL managed to exceed my expectations in dissapointment.
gross 0/10

edit: forgot one thing, the input lag does seem similar to my crt's (which had 0 ms, this has 10), it's good enough for responsive mouse input.

LaneDS

Running an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe i5 2500k system where I upgraded the videocard and hard drive a couple months ago (now a GTX970 and a Samsung 850 Pro Pro). Machine is blue screening at least once a day and now even random applications seem to crash for no reason, whether it's a browser or something more intense like a game.

Ran memtest86 for about 24 hours straight, had zero errors so I'm really hard pressed to believe it's memory (I think I'm using 2x 4GB PC1600 DDR3 sticks). Reinstalled Windows 7 a couple months back too.

New motherboard/CPU/memory time? I've felt like my motherboard has been kind of janky since I've had it and has always been prone to odd behavior.

Feedback appreciated on what else it might be.

Running an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe i5 2500k system where I upgraded the videocard and hard drive a couple months ago (now a GTX970 and a Samsung 850 Pro Pro). Machine is blue screening at least once a day and now even random applications seem to crash for no reason, whether it's a browser or something more intense like a game.

Ran memtest86 for about 24 hours straight, had zero errors so I'm really hard pressed to believe it's memory (I think I'm using 2x 4GB PC1600 DDR3 sticks). Reinstalled Windows 7 a couple months back too.

New motherboard/CPU/memory time? I've felt like my motherboard has been kind of janky since I've had it and has always been prone to odd behavior.

Feedback appreciated on what else it might be.

I have the same CPU and mobo (I have the P8P67 Rev 3.1 if that matters), I just recently overclocked the 2500k to 4.5 ghz without issue.

Do you have an OC going on the cpu? If so, have you tried loading optimized defaults in Bios and see if the problem disappears?

Also maybe sounds like an HD error, do you have a mechanical HD that might be failing?

LaneDS

I have the same CPU and mobo (I have the P8P67 Rev 3.1 if that matters), I just recently overclocked the 2500k to 4.5 ghz without issue.

Do you have an OC going on the cpu? If so, have you tried loading optimized defaults in Bios and see if the problem disappears?

Also maybe sounds like an HD error, do you have a mechanical HD that might be failing?

No OC on the CPU or GPU (tried both and previously had no issue, but disabled them both in an attempt to run down the issue).

I know many people have the same motherboard and CPU combo without issue, but I feel like something with mine is inherently not right as for the years I've had it it's never run quite right. Now it just seems particularly broken.

I'll try optimized defaults in the BIOS to see if that helps.

I do have a mechanical hard drive as a secondary drive which I'll try disabling for a bit, although based on the error messages the blue screen errors were reporting I was pretty convinced it was memory related (and then confused when memtest came back clean).

Appreciate the feedback!

No OC on the CPU or GPU (tried both and previously had no issue, but disabled them both in an attempt to run down the issue).

I know many people have the same motherboard and CPU combo without issue, but I feel like something with mine is inherently not right as for the years I've had it it's never run quite right. Now it just seems particularly broken.

I'll try optimized defaults in the BIOS to see if that helps.

I do have a mechanical hard drive as a secondary drive which I'll try disabling for a bit, although based on the error messages the blue screen errors were reporting I was pretty convinced it was memory related (and then confused when memtest came back clean).

Appreciate the feedback!

Also have you updated your bios since you bought the mobo? I remember back when it released some people reporting minor issues that were cleared up with bios updates.

RGM79

My replies :)

- No overclocking, but I do want undervolting. My room is a little enclosed so any system on load, whether it be my PS3 or whatever, will warm up the room quite easily. A lot of posts have mentioned that they've OCed the Pentium chip on this board, but I can't find any references on undervolting for the i7s. However, I did locate voltage and OC options inside the motherboard's manual. As well, I've found the BIOS update already... but can modern boards these days POST and enter BIOS without the CPU?

- As far as the Haswell heat concerns go, I've already read some posts with max load temps of greater than 80C. I know those temps are well within reasonable limits, but again it's more about my operating environment than anything else.

- I'm currently looking into the detailed specs for the case, and it looks like there's enough space for three additional fans. Not bad at all.

- It's kind of strange, because I'm used to some of the older mid-towers or corporate machines, which has the USB/audio connects on the lower-half of the front panel. At any rate, it's not a huge priority especially if there's a huge cost difference and I'm not entirely comfortable standing the case upside down lol.

- Lastly, the HDD/SDD option was a bit of a brain fart on my part. I've seen 128GB last-gen SSDs (or maybe last-last-gen?) on sale for under $80-90CAD on a regular basis and 7200 drives are super cheap, so it might be better to buy a 1TB WD Blue and upgrade to a small SSD later. How easy is it to migrate to a SSD boot drive these days?

1. I see, so your room is the issue here. Unfortunately, all the heat the computer produces will still have to go somewhere - a decent heatsink keeps the CPU running cooler, but the heat from the computer still goes into your room. Undervolting isn't nearly as common or popular as overclocking, and it's worth noting that although motherboards allow you to change voltage, usually it's to increase voltage, not decrease it, so different manufacturers will have different available ranges for setting core voltage. For example, this article by Hardware Luxx mentions that MSI and Asus offer different ranges of allowable voltage settings.

Only specific motherboards like some higher end Asus models offer BIOS flashing without a CPU. In every other case, you'd be screwed and unable to use the computer unless you didn't mind returning or exchanging the motherboard, or had an older but compatible Intel CPU to borrow so you could update the BIOS. Sometimes they do sell H81/B85 motherboards with later BIOS versions so they can support the latest processors out of the box, but unless you can confirm from the store selling the motherboard what revision you're getting, it's a gamble to go with an older motherboard. Some manufacturers do print the BIOS version of the motherboard on the outside box, others don't.

2. There are other options now that I know you don't want the ability to overclock. Features like speedstep will keep processors running quiet and cool when not being worked, and there are low power processors suitable for your needs that will ramp up performance to be close if not the same as the i7 4790.

3. On a budget, the N200 is a pretty decent case to buy. Spend a little extra on some fans (optional extra: hardware fan controller) and you're set. Some motherboards have better fan control than others, Asus is notable for having a decent fan software utility, but other manufacturers also have their own options.

4. There are cases with the plugs the way you want (Antec Centurion 5, no longer sold), they are just older, discontinued, rare, more expensive, and/or larger than the CM N200. I know you chose an mATX motherboard and case, but are you OK with ATX size?

5. Well, speaking generally most decent SSDs are already a great improvement over hard drives. Something cheap like the 120GB Kingston V300 is about $65 CAD, a little more maybe. Previous generation midrange 120/128GB SSDs are available for $80~90, like the Crucial MX100.

Cloning drives is easy enough, there are many guides and free software available, like this.

I have, long ago. It's now running the latest available BIOS.

Well just from experience, its usually an HD thats the culprit in these situations, but sounds like you checked everything and even did a fresh windows install.

Time for someone else to try at suggestions haha.

RGM79

edit: New build here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vwxRyc Changes are the HDD and wireless network card. Also, regarding the case, front-panel USB/audio placement like this Rosewill case http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/vwxRyc is also acceptable.

edit2: Oh hey, I just found one: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004ASW73G/ but it comes with a PSU...

I wouldn't really pay that much for that case. Seems overpriced for the features and design. Regarding your new build, I have some parts suggestions:

I have a solution to help with the processor heat and motherboard compatibility issue: go with this i7 4770S processor ($343) instead. It's older but not very different from the i7 4790 in specs and performance. However, the fact that it's an S model processor means that it produces less heat (65 watt TDP versus the 4790's 84 watt TDP) and that it's slightly older means that it will definitely be compatible with the cheaper and equally as old H81/B85 motherboards without needing a BIOS update.

Also, I recommend this ASRock H81m-HDS motherboard instead. It's $56 after rebate which makes it a bit cheaper, and it also has USB 3.0 which the Gigabyte model doesn't have.

Although it costs more, this Gigabyte wifi adaptor ($35) comes with a lot of features. I liked the antenna on a wire as it allows the antenna to be placed high or toward a certain direction for better signal.

Other than that, not much else to say. Prices recently dropped slightly on a 2TB Toshiba hard drive, it's $88 today.

I have, long ago. It's now running the latest available BIOS.

Following on from the bluescreens, have you tried a tool like BlueScreenView?

Windam

Scaley member
If you're not interested in the 330R's sound reducing features, look for the cheaper 300R instead, it's only $80 at NCIX and is the same as the 330R except for styling differences and the sound reduction. You can probably get Canada Computers to PM NCIX. The 300R comes with the same fans and has slightly better airflow than the 330R.

That said, the Phantom 410 can also remove the middle drive cage to to allow allow more open space in there.

Yep, all of them will fit the 212 Evo. Oddly enough, the NZXT website doesn't list it, but several reviews for the Phantom 410 note that the packaging cardboard lists 170mm clearance.

Aside from the spaciousness of the 330R, the noise reduction caught my eye, too. I have read that cable management is a little harder to do since Corsair didn't provide brackets on the right side of the case, but anything would be better than the inside of my 300 Illusion right now (cables everywhere).

LaneDS

Well just from experience, its usually an HD thats the culprit in these situations, but sounds like you checked everything and even did a fresh windows install.

Time for someone else to try at suggestions haha.

Thanks for the help all the same!

Following on from the bluescreens, have you tried a tool like BlueScreenView?

Hadn't heard of this type of thing and am looking forward to checking it out when I get home. Thanks!

Do you think we can see the future ? Seriously how can you expect us to know what PC will be needed for max settings in a game not released ?

Given that the game is 1080p/60 on PS4 it will already provide a very good experience.

I assumed Ground Zeroes would be a good indicator.

mkenyon

Banned

There's probably like 100-200 different ways that you could have said this without being condescending.

Miang

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on this thread. I built my new PC today and it all seems to be OK. I've just tried FFXII:IZJS on PCSX2, and it's running at 60 fps and it looks amazing. This would have been impossible on my previous crappy computer, I could actually cry.

Final specs:

Intel I5 4690K (not yet overclocked, but planning to)
Geforce GTX 750 Ti
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H Micro ATX motherboard
8GB RAM
128GB Crucial MX100
WD 1TB HDD
Fractal Design 550w PSU
Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler
Silverstone PS07B case

It's by no means a beast compared to most here I'm sure, but compared to my old one it's amazing :D

Next step.... overclocking!

So I am looking to build my first PC and I don't know what parts I should choose.

Since I have a PS4, which I am going to use for playing newer games.
I will probably use it mainly for playing older games, PC exclusives and some office stuff for university.

I have a budget of around 600€ (Germany), which could probably be extended a bit if necessary.

Other than that there isn't a whole lot I care about, other than preferably having a PC which I can easily upgrade with out having to build it completely new.

I would really appreciate some help.

SpeedyDesiato

Neo Member
No reason not to go mATX, let alone mITX, heres a more powerful build for less, an smaller formfactor with builtin wifi up AC.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£193.17 @ PC World Business)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£77.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£63.42 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£52.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.60 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£278.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (£62.75 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£73.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £864.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-25 17:20 GMT+0000

Okay, so I bought these parts and put it all together, but it won't boot or even POST. The external fan that's connected to the mobo whirs, and the gfx card fans go, but no display or beep. What can anyone suggest is the problem? I already had someone suggest it was the PSU, so I had it replaced and nope.

Got my two case fans today. Opened up and WELL SHIT, ALLREADY HAD 2 CASE FANS INSTALLED. ALRIGHT THEN.

So currently only one of the fans i bought is installed. I was looking around on the motherboard but i could only find one spot that wasnt already taken, so i left that to my new top fan blowing air out. Planning to go to the store tomorrow and buy an adapter that lets me plug the last fan into the PSU.
I learned that the noise i've had for a year was coming from my CPU and not the GPU, so with the fan doing some extra fanning there my computer is pretty quiet. I'll play some games and see how it goes. So far pretty happy.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, so I bought these parts and put it all together, but it won't boot or even POST. The external fan that's connected to the mobo whirs, and the gfx card fans go, but no display or beep. What can anyone suggest is the problem? I already had someone suggest it was the PSU, so I had it replaced and nope.
From OP:

[Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot]
Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else
Got my two case fans today. Opened up and WELL SHIT, ALLREADY HAD 2 CASE FANS INSTALLED. ALRIGHT THEN.

So currently only one of the fans i bought is installed. I was looking around on the motherboard but i could only find one spot that wasnt already taken, so i left that to my new top fan blowing air out. Planning to go to the store tomorrow and buy an adapter that lets me plug the last fan into the PSU.
I learned that the noise i've had for a year was coming from my CPU and not the GPU, so with the fan doing some extra fanning there my computer is pretty quiet. I'll play some games and see how it goes. So far pretty happy.
Nice! All you need is a 3 pin to molex connector. You will not be able to do fan control with that though, so keep in mind it'll be running 100%. With most new fans, that's not really an issue as they are designed to cap out somewhere between 1200-1400 RPM.

Windam

Scaley member
Aside from the spaciousness of the 330R, the noise reduction caught my eye, too. I have read that cable management is a little harder to do since Corsair didn't provide brackets on the right side of the case, but anything would be better than the inside of my 300 Illusion right now (cables everywhere).

Just an update, went with the Phantom 410 and got a CM Hyper 212 Evo to replace my Arctic Freezer 13.

H4r4kiri

I was looking to get a 960 to upgrade from my amd 6670, but people elsewhere said it was a bad deal for the performance. What should i get?

i have a i5-2300, a 700w cooler master, 16 gigs of ram and a budget of tax return

Well I am not the expert, but you may wait for the AMD announcement or wait for the rumored 960ti. I think going forward with 2gb is not a ideal idea, but as I said I am not an expert. I just saw nobody replied to your post ;)

It would still be a major Upgrade though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom