• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

theRizzle

Thanks for that. I guess I might have to sit down and talk with him about what his plans are for the machine then. I was thinking about sharing my Steam library with him to try and coax him into getting into PC gaming (he is quite married to his 360 and sort of his PS4) so that's why I was thinking something more powerful, but if he isn't interested in that at all I think I will probably build almost exactly that.

RGM79

Alright, I think I can officially say I'm going to be able to grab my new PC before The Witcher hits this month (or very soon after). Now I guess I need some specific advice.

Here's the base build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Total: $1031.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:02 EDT-0400

Budget:800-just over 1000 USD.
Need for: The big PC releases like Witcher 3. Running games on Dolphin
Parts already owned: Power Supply. Regular HDD

I know the Motherboard is probably overboard for what I need, but I love the sheer number of USB 3 ports on it and the great reviews. If you can find me one with near the number of USB 3 ports and comparable quality at a cheeper cost, I'd very much switch. Same for pretty much any part. If it's same quality at cheaper cost, I'll definitely change.

Hmm, do you need to use that many USB 3.0 ports at once? There are some motherboards with the new USB 3.1 ports in the same price range, like the Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 for $146 after $10 rebate. The ASRock model you were looking at has six USB 3.0 ports, while the Asus model has two USB 3.1 ports and four USB 3.0 ports. Same number of ports, but two of them on the Asus model are better.

I found 2x4GB 2400MHz RAM for about the same price.

The EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX2.0+ is clocked slightly faster than the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and also costs $10 less.

The black version of the Phantom 410 is cheaper at $84.

The Crucial MX200 offers comparable performance for $10 less.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1001.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:25 EDT-0400

That's what the build looks like with my recommendations. Something I should note is that the blu-ray drive doesn't come with any software for playing blu-ray movie discs.

Thanks for that. I guess I might have to sit down and talk with him about what his plans are for the machine then. I was thinking about sharing my Steam library with him to try and coax him into getting into PC gaming (he is quite married to his 360 and sort of his PS4) so that's why I was thinking something more powerful, but if he isn't interested in that at all I think I will probably build almost exactly that.

Ah, I see. It'd be possible to spec a basic PC that would be upgradable in the future if he wants to get into PC gaming later on. You would just need to drop in a graphics card and that'd be it. For that route I think I'd recommend going with Intel, though.

yami4ct

Hmm, do you need to use that many USB 3.0 ports at once? There are some motherboards with the new USB 3.1 ports in the same price range, like the Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 for $146 after $10 rebate. The ASRock model you were looking at has six USB 3.0 ports, while the Asus model has two USB 3.1 ports and four USB 3.0 ports. Same number of ports, but two of them on the Asus model are better.

I found 2x4GB 2400MHz RAM for about the same price.

The EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX2.0+ is clocked slightly faster than the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G.

The black version of the Phantom 410 is cheaper at $84.

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1001.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-04 00:25 EDT-0400

That's what the build looks like with my recommendations.

Sounds great so far. I guess I don't really need the extra USB 3.0 ports. I've run into situations where I need more than 2, what I have on my current board, but never close to 6. Having 2 on the front of my case would already alleviate that. So, I guess say I didn't necessarily need all that USB 3 or USB 3.1 (Would be nice, but definitely a luxury). What would be a good board in terms of value for features?

RGM79

Sounds great so far. I guess I don't really need the extra USB 3.0 ports. I've run into situations where I need more than 2, what I have on my current board, but never close to 6. Having 2 on the front of my case would already alleviate that. So, I guess say I didn't necessarily need all that USB 3 or USB 3.1 (Would be nice, but definitely a luxury). What would be a good board in terms of value for features?

Recently I've been recommending the Asus Z97-E ($90 after $20 rebate). It has four USB 3.0 ports on the back and supports two at the front, so you should be covered just fine in terms of USB 3.0 ports.

Oscar

Your budget would be helpful. What's the upper limit you'd be willing to spend?

Like $160-250.

Is the GTX 580 not cutting it anymore? It should be fine for most Blizzard games, they're not exactly that demanding.

How much do you intend to spend on a graphics card?

Well it can't seem to run Heroes of the Storm all that well as of late. I heard the SC2 engine has terrible optimization so maybe I'm just being stubborn. Regardless, I don't mind dropping $160-250 on an upgrade if it's a significantly step up.

yami4ct

Recently I've been recommending the Asus Z97-E ($90 after $20 rebate). It has four USB 3.0 ports on the back and supports two at the front, so you should be covered just fine in terms of USB 3.0 ports.

Sounds perfect. I'll see where my exact budget works out as I get my extra cash together. If I've got cash to spare, I'll go with your 3.1 recommendation. Otherwise the Z97-E sounds like it'll meet my base needs just fine.

Only change I'll probably make from your parts list is the black case. I've run black cases for over 10 years and am kind of bored of them. White one isn't much more, so that'll likely be the one I'll go for. I would have liked the Black/Orange model because it has a real supercar look, but the jump from $88 to $112 is too big for a simple color switch. Will keep an eye on that to see if it drops in the next couple weeks.

This is my build so far with RGM79's help.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($512.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.40

anyone else see somewhere I could improve?

I will be using only 1080p but Im worried I won't be able to play the witcher 3 on ultra with the nvidia hairworks feature enabled at 60fps. I can afford a titan x. So my question is should I change anything else if I get the titan x. "like the motherboard"

I don't think I will be using dual cards ever. I rather just get a single beast card then upgrade to pascal. I hear that you get frame pacing issues. Not sure why people do crossfire or sli if it creates a stuttering situation.

RGM79

Like $160-250.

Well it can't seem to run Heroes of the Storm all that well as of late. I heard the SC2 engine has terrible optimization so maybe I'm just being stubborn. Regardless, I don't mind dropping $160-250 on an upgrade if it's a significantly step up.
The GTX 580 more than meets the requirements, so maybe something else is at fault here. Is your 2600K overclocked? Have you given your PC a cleaning recently? It could be getting dusty and running a bit too warm. Any issues in any other games?

Some people seem to be claiming that poor performance in Heroes of the Storm may be poor optimization or coding. Apparently lag can adversely affect framerate.

In that price range your best bang for buck option at the upper end of the budget would be the R9 290 4GB. The cheapest models on that list just meet your budget. The Powercolor PCS+ and Sapphire Tri-X OC are actually very nice models and generally keep very cool, although the triple fan cooler means they are quite long.

At the lower end of your budget, the R9 280 3GB sells for a bit under $160 at the cheapest, like this Sapphire Dual-X model for $158.

And the Nvidia option is the GTX 960 2GB/4GB, which sits in the middle of your price range. It's generally on par with or somewhat better than the R9 280, but falls behind the R9 290 by quite a bit. The 2GB model starts at $185 and the 4GB model starts at about $220. Given the price of the R9 290, I'd recommend it over the GTX 960 4GB. While the GTX 960 lacks in overall performance for its price, it does offer more efficient performance by being a lot less power hungry and also generates less heat, some models also have a passive fan mode for silent operation at low temperature. Being a newer card, it also stands to benefit from the latest driver updates - IIRC certain games have shown substantially better performance with the GTX 960 than the R9 280.

I can't actually find any GPU benchmarks for Heroes of the Storm. Apparently performance is said to vary with each patch.

Narroo

As far as I can tell, if you're going to be building a new PC from scratch, it's currently better to wait a bit for Skylark and Pastel, correct?

yea...that's what i am thinking as well.

it isn't like you won't be able to play witcher 3 next year.

Are you talking to me?

should I wait a year for new gpu's. I currently don't have a computer to game on. Will the new gpu and cpu architecture be so revolutionary that I should hold off another year. I thought the leaked skylake specs were not that great?

Are you talking to me?

should I wait a year for new gpu's. I currently don't have a computer to game on. Will the new gpu and cpu architecture be so revolutionary that I should hold off another year. I thought the leaked skylake specs were not that great?

i am holding off. i don't have a gaming pc either.

for the gpu side, yes. hbm will increase bandwidth over gddr5.

cpu will be 14nm. better performance less power.

skylake plus pascal will be good for a few years. dx12 is also coming.

why bother spending 1000+ on gpu and cpu which are at the tail end of their generation? skylake will be a tick (refer to tick tock intel), which means it's a new architecture. pascal is new as well. both are new technologies bringing in something new instead of the usual more of everything=better.

skylake will be announced this august. i am waiting for the new amd gpus but that pascal leaked info is tempting (2nd generation hbm card).

if i were you, i would wait a year. buying a 1500 pc now would only make you regret your decision once the new stuff drops. a year passes by so fast. hold off and spend your money next year. witcher 3 is sp only anyway. play the patched version next year on your new toy and it will be even better. i plan to play psp/ps1 games for now. or do other things. again, games this year aren't going to run away. we are already so close to getting new tech so better off to just wait.

FoxSpirit

Since I was redirected here:

Hi GAF

So yeah, I need a laptop. Usage:
- Audio recording, maybe a bit of on location mixing
- some oldtime Arcade emulation
- Volgar and Jamestown
- if it can handle some PSX emulation that would be a bonus but not required
- Windows, not a Chrome book

and that's it.
I found some decent offers for 4-500 from Acer but holy cow, what garbage can did they go through to find screens with 1:200 contrast??
So yes, allrounder is the word.

diegotristanUK

Neo Member
It's me, again.

I have pretty much decided on every component now, but I keep coming back to the PSU. I commit to buy, then I read about a loud fan or people saying lot's of DOA or even a the PSU frying their system.

I just want a reliable and if possible, quiet PSU. I have these few as my final picks, please help me decide. If there are any not on my list that you think I should consider, please let me know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LMAUZ6G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H32S0VHJSCAK0FV0T1D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-SuperNOVA-750W-Power-Supply/dp/B00J01K3E8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430746026&sr=1-1&keywords=evga+750
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Bronze-Semi-Modular-Power-Supply/dp/B008O50WKG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430746050&sr=1-1&keywords=xfx+650

The EVGA 750w is right at the limit of my budget.
Thanks.

Kayant

It's me, again.

I have pretty much decided on every component now, but I keep coming back to the PSU. I commit to buy, then I read about a loud fan or people saying lot's of DOA or even a the PSU frying their system.

I just want a reliable and if possible, quiet PSU. I have these few as my final picks, please help me decide. If there are any not on my list that you think I should consider, please let me know.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LMAUZ6G/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H32S0VHJSCAK0FV0T1D&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455333147&pf_rd_i=468294
http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-SuperNOVA-750W-Power-Supply/dp/B00J01K3E8/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430746026&sr=1-1&keywords=evga+750
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Bronze-Semi-Modular-Power-Supply/dp/B008O50WKG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1430746050&sr=1-1&keywords=xfx+650

The EVGA 750w is right at the limit of my budget.
Thanks.

All three are good as far as quiet then your default option for aboluste quietness is the 750w EVGA(I have one ;) as it has a zero fan mode which means the fans won't spin until it hits a certain temperature. Since I have had mine (about 1 month or so) the fan has never spinned.

What is the thing I really need to look for in PSU's again?

Rating. Bronze minimum
Brand. The manufacture who makes the PSU.
Reviews.
Wattage,etc.

albe0

Neo Member
I'm looking to replace the stock cooler on my i7 4970k, and I was planning on using a corsair h60 but I only have 2 fan headers on my motherboard, one for CPU and one system fan. Is there anyway I can power the pump and fan without using a splitter and still have a fan header free for system fans? I'm considering buying a new motherboard just for an extra fan header but I thought I'd check here first, like I should of done to begin with!

Another option would be to just use an air cooled cpu cooler, but I'm unsure how much room I have, ideally I would want something I can orientate in the same position as the yellow fan.

This is my build so far, any cooling/positioning suggestions would be really appreciated, I'm a bit out of my depth! It's a bit fenix phenom mATX case, with a micro ATX board, the yellow fan is 120mm, Thanks.

DSC04978.jpg

Admodieus

Looking to get back into the PC space. Have an XBox One and Wii U currently, would be selling the XBox due to redundancy. Last machine I built was in 2011, so I just need a few answers and some direction before I start looking at components:

1. Is right now a good time to buy/build compared to a month from now (post-E3)?
  2. What's the current consensus on a single GPU vs. an SLI setup?
  3. Any good GPU deals with games included currently out there or will be out there soon?

LilJoka

I'm looking to replace the stock cooler on my i7 4970k, and I was planning on using a corsair h60 but I only have 2 fan headers on my motherboard, one for CPU and one system fan. Is there anyway I can power the pump and fan without using a splitter and still have a fan header free for system fans? I'm considering buying a new motherboard just for an extra fan header but I thought I'd check here first, like I should of done to begin with!

Another option would be to just use an air cooled cpu cooler, but I'm unsure how much room I have, ideally I would want something I can orientate in the same position as the yellow fan.

This is my build so far, any cooling/positioning suggestions would be really appreciated, I'm a bit out of my depth! It's a bit fenix phenom mATX case, with a micro ATX board, the yellow fan is 120mm, Thanks.

For you current config, looks like you want silence, so why would you get a AIO liquid cooler. Just pick up a mid range Noctua or Phanteks air cooler.

mkenyon

Banned
Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

uWp2AwS.png

I made this on www.afuture.nl

Anything that can be improved? Things I definitely need are an i7 processor and 16GB of ram. GTX 970 as well. Budget is €1500
I'd swap out the motherboard and case for the mATX versions, and go with a better (and less expensive) PSU.

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1019181

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=2431461

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1956112

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=2081291

Then just grab whatever 120mm AIO cooler you like the most. I'm partial to the base H60. It's pretty, and the fan it comes with is excellent.

hVoZ9ve.png

ACE 1991

is a max temp of 65-70 degrees too high for a 2500k under normal gaming circumstances? This is currently what mine is running at when playing demanding games. (1.332v, 4.3ghz and a coolermaster 212+)

nullpoynter

This is my build so far with RGM79's help.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($316.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($512.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($77.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1530.40

anyone else see somewhere I could improve?

I will be using only 1080p but Im worried I won't be able to play the witcher 3 on ultra with the nvidia hairworks feature enabled at 60fps. I can afford a titan x. So my question is should I change anything else if I get the titan x. "like the motherboard"

I don't think I will be using dual cards ever. I rather just get a single beast card then upgrade to pascal. I hear that you get frame pacing issues. Not sure why people do crossfire or sli if it creates a stuttering situation.

I would go with the Evga 750 G2 for the power supply as it's a tier one power supply. It also comes with a 10 year warranty.

I am thinking of ordering The Witcher 3 & Project Cars from www.game.co.uk, but no download edition for The Witcher and Project Cars download version does not appear to include the preorder bonus cars. As I dont have DVD drive, I was wondering if the physical editions will come with a download code for Steam or is there any other way to get the games installed?

SRG01

Offset is applied to VID to get the Vcore. VID is static per Multiplier, like a lookup table of voltages for each multiplier. The Vcore = VID + Offset. As you can see, your Vcore at 0v offset is 1.22v, and with -0.1v offset is 1.12v. Working right.

As for the IA offset, that could be an issue, are you on the latest Bios?
I cant find any concrete info on IA Offset.

I could try going back to the latest BIOS, since I'm no longer undervolting through BIOS anymore (Intel Extreme Tuning instead).

The weird thing is that the reported Watts is correct (ie. corresponding drop), so I wonder if it's a sensor problem with IA offset.

Oh, I guess I should mention this too: setting the offset through the BIOS gave me bootloops at anything beyond -0.05V offset. However, it's rock solid if I do -0.1V through IET.

edit: My temps don't get above low-70 C now. Should I bother getting some Arctic Silver or should I just leave it? The stock cooler is quite noisy too...

FoxSpirit

Since I was redirected here:

Hi GAF

So yeah, I need a laptop. Usage:
- Audio recording, maybe a bit of on location mixing
- some oldtime Arcade emulation
- Volgar and Jamestown
- if it can handle some PSX emulation that would be a bonus but not required
- Windows, not a Chrome book

and that's it.
I found some decent offers for 4-500 from Acer but holy cow, what garbage can did they go through to find screens with 1:200 contrast??
So yes, allrounder is the word.

Help please?
Those notebook reviews seem awfully unhelpful.

I'm looking at getting a new PC within by mid-July at the latest, around $1200 in budget. Would I lose anything by buying sooner rather than later? I know that the AMD 300 series is coming out, although considering I'm looking at a GTX 970 or AMD 290 I don't think I will have the budget for a 380 or 390. Also, would it be cheaper to buy Windows 7 now then upgrade to Windows 10 for free upon release or wait until Windows 10 comes out and buy it directly?

Hi I'm looking at building my first gaming pc

Budget: 1200€ + Italy
Main Use: Gaming 5, general use 5, streaming 3,
Monitor Resolution: at least 1080p
Games: The witcher trilogy( 60fps), heavy modded Fallout/ TES, In general open world fantasy/scifi games.
When will you build?: end of july
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Some italian site:
http://www.taocomputer.eu/shop2007/cerca_catalogo.asp?q=&Cerca.x=42&Cerca.y=24
https://www.amazon.it/?tag=
http://www.eprice.it/
http://www.pixmania.it/informatica/componenti-103-m.html
http://www.misterprice.it/shop/computer/componentistica-assemblaggio

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
From the gaf bst thread. He is currently offering both for 425 shipped. Sometime jump on this. The guy is legit, I've bought a video card off him before.
Just did the Canada math and it would be 535 after the exchange rate. If I were to buy the stuff new it would be $1050 damn I wish I had the cash to jump on it.

thanks Kennah,

I am buying something for my Raptor so I may end up selling one of my Titan X's
If anyone is interested, please mesage me.
I have the Nvidia Titan X (probably will sell for $850)

I'd swap out the motherboard and case for the mATX versions, and go with a better (and less expensive) PSU.

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1019181

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=2431461

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=1956112

http://www.afuture.nl/productview.php?productID=2081291

Then just grab whatever 120mm AIO cooler you like the most. I'm partial to the base H60. It's pretty, and the fan it comes with is excellent.

hVoZ9ve.png

Thanks man!

Any reason why you posted two motherboards?

Why would you swap the ATX with mATX stuff? Won't this heat up my case more?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks man!

Any reason why you posted two motherboards?

Why would you swap the ATX with mATX stuff? Won't this heat up my case more?
Two motherboards because you seemed to have a thing for MSI stuff. So I posted the Gigabyte board, which I personally like more. And it's a bit cheaper. But I put the MSI one on there just in case you did have an MSI thing.

ATX is way too huge for most setups. There's just no need for it outside of people with multiple graphics cards (2-4). No, it will not heat up your case more.
So let's say I wanted to convert my current build into a mini build.

How small could I go? And how cheap could I do it for?
If you drop the DVD drive, and pick up an older Z77 ITX motherboard (probably the P8Z77-I Deluxe), then your only limit would be to make sure you could fit your video card in whatever case you are looking at. There's some cases that use smaller PSUs (SFX instead of ATX), in which case you'd need to get rid of that. Just look at some ITX cases and see what you like.

SourBear

Banned
So NCIXUS cancelled my order because the i7 price was incorrect.
Lame. Not a good first time user experience with their site.

In retrospect the i7 going on sale for $225 was probably too good to be true anyway.

LilJoka

I could try going back to the latest BIOS, since I'm no longer undervolting through BIOS anymore (Intel Extreme Tuning instead).

The weird thing is that the reported Watts is correct (ie. corresponding drop), so I wonder if it's a sensor problem with IA offset.

Oh, I guess I should mention this too: setting the offset through the BIOS gave me bootloops at anything beyond -0.05V offset. However, it's rock solid if I do -0.1V through IET.

edit: My temps don't get above low-70 C now. Should I bother getting some Arctic Silver or should I just leave it? The stock cooler is quite noisy too...

Dont trust what IETU is saying. Just use CPUz to find the load Vcore. Compare that to setting an offset in BIOS. You may find the same voltage is achieved with different offsets.
Your bootloops are likely attributed to the offset not being enough at low clock speeds, or the BIOS not giving enough voltage at bootup. Some boards allow setting a fixed bootup Vcore. IETU is probably enabling offset on login into windows.

AC5 is not going to make more than a few degrees difference. Wat better off buying a Arctic Cooling 7 or similar heatsink for a but more money from new paste.

Serrato

Guys! A guy is proposing me a R9 280X 1000mhz instead of a R9 290. I don't expect to go on 4k Gaming for at least a bunch of years yet, so is it a good trade especially for the price ?(275$ vs almost 400$, all Canadian)

Masaki_

Hi, PC-GAF. Is my i5 2500k still fine (for Witcher 3)?

Additionaly, will my GTX 660 be able to run it with everything on low at least?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom