• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothos

So, I pulled the tigger and ordered MSI 970 Gaming Edition. I just wonder if it isn't a bit too powerful card for my i5-3470 :)

How's the budget CPU department these days? I'm building a PC for my dad soonish and I need a sub 150 euro CPU. I'm currently looking at the i3-4150 but I have no clue what the price/performance ratios are like between AMD and Intel CPUs. It'll be a facebook and minor photo editing machine for the most part, so nothing demanding really. I just want it to be snappy and relatively future proof.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How's the budget CPU department these days? I'm building a PC for my dad soonish and I need a sub 150 euro CPU. I'm currently looking at the i3-4150 but I have no clue what the price/performance ratios are like between AMD and Intel CPUs. It'll be a facebook and minor photo editing machine for the most part, so nothing demanding really. I just want it to be snappy and relatively future proof.
You'll probably be more than fine with an i3.
If you want it fast look into an SSD.

Maniac

Banned
Hey guys! It's been a while since my last build, so I was wondering if anyone can help me out? A buddy of mine needs a new PC, he's already set his sight on the H440 for a case, so excluding the case, his budget is roughly 650 USD with something like one or two hundred bucks of leeway. Could anyone help me put together a good build? I've somewhat lost touch after two years of not building PCs.

Any and all help would be appreciated! :)

Edit: I totally forgot to give the build sheet in the OP a proper read. I'll do so now, and also going to check a few other sites. I also forgot to mention: He already has two HDDs, so those aren't needed either. :p

Aaaaand another edit; Having looked at the optimal stuff, I'm thinking something along the lines of i5 4690K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, 8gigs of ram, a GTX 970 and a SeaSonic PSU. What would you guys think of that? It'd total something like 760-ish bucks, which I think he'd be fine with. Ideas or tweaks are much welcome.

Kama_1082

Banned
So I was kind of upset with my GTX 970 wherr everything looked grey with crushed blacks everywhere. Then I realized that I was on HDMI and it was set to limited color spectrum. Changed it to full and now happy :)

Hey guys! It's been a while since my last build, so I was wondering if anyone can help me out? A buddy of mine needs a new PC, he's already set his sight on the H440 for a case, so excluding the case, his budget is roughly 650 USD with something like one or two hundred bucks of leeway. Could anyone help me put together a good build? I've somewhat lost touch after two years of not building PCs.

Any and all help would be appreciated! :)

Edit: I totally forgot to give the build sheet in the OP a proper read. I'll do so now, and also going to check a few other sites. I also forgot to mention: He already has two HDDs, so those aren't needed either. :p

Aaaaand another edit; Having looked at the optimal stuff, I'm thinking something along the lines of i5 4690K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, 8gigs of ram, a GTX 970 and a SeaSonic PSU. What would you guys think of that? It'd total something like 760-ish bucks, which I think he'd be fine with. Ideas or tweaks are much welcome.

Yeah that is about it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($216.98 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $854.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 16:44 EDT-0400

If he doesn't really need the SSD, that will bring the price down to ~745$.

Sky Chief

Any idea how much I can sell an LG 34UM95 for? It's a great monitor but I'm really tempted to try out the Acer 1440p IPS Gsync.

While I'm asking, how much do you think I can sell a Gigabyte GHz edition GTX 780 for? Think I might get a Titan X.

Will F

First time attempting a build, would love any feedback.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $813.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 16:22 EDT-0400

Will be running Ubuntu and initially primarily will use this for coding (clojure and erlang) and running virtual machines in virtual box (might upgrade to 32GB of RAM eventually, I could certainly find ways to make use of it).

I do intend to put in a beefy graphics card in the fall, but for the next few months the most demanding gaming I expect is dwarf fortress, so I think I can get by with the built in Intel HD Graphics 4600 for now?

May drop the SSD to a 250GB and either live with that or add a 1TB spinning disk.

Not sure about the motherboard and power supply, are either of these overkill for my needs?

Anything else I missed?

First time attempting a build, would love any feedback.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $813.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-05 16:22 EDT-0400

Will be running Ubuntu and initially primarily will use this for coding (clojure and erlang) and running virtual machines in virtual box (might upgrade to 32GB of RAM eventually, I could certainly find ways to make use of it).

I do intend to put in a beefy graphics card in the fall, but for the next few months the most demanding gaming I expect is dwarf fortress, so I think I can get by with the built in Intel HD Graphics 4600 for now?

May drop the SSD to a 250GB and either live with that or add a 1TB spinning disk.

Not sure about the motherboard and power supply, are either of these overkill for my needs?

Anything else I missed?

The mobo is fine.
This XFX TS 550W is having a damn good deal with a promotion code and cash back for a total of 27$.
It is more than enough to power your current right plus a 970, 980 card.

Well given the fact that SSDs are expensive, I think dropping that 500 to a 256 and adding a 1TB hdd is a good idea.

Will F

The mobo is fine.
This XFX TS 550W is having a damn good deal with a promotion code and cash back for a total of 27$.
It is more than enough to power your current right plus a 970, 980 card.

Thanks, that's a great deal!
Any concerns I should have on dropping from the four PCI-EXPRESS 6+2-PIN connectors to one 6+2 and one 6?

Or in other words I just remembered that the Witcher 3 may be getting released on linux, which if happens might move up the purchase of a card - is there anything else i'd conceivably want to plug into one of those connectors on the power supply?

RGM79

Thanks, that's a great deal!
Any concerns I should have on dropping from the four PCI-EXPRESS 6+2-PIN connectors to one 6+2 and one 6?

Or in other words I just remembered that the Witcher 3 may be getting released on linux, which if happens might move up the purchase of a card - is there anything else i'd conceivably want to plug into one of those connectors on the power supply?

You'd be limited to running a single graphics card, I wouldn't recommend SLI on less then 750 watts anyway.

No, those connectors are only used to power graphics cards, so functionally in your case there's nothing lost if you have fewer of those connectors.

RGM79

Which GTX 970 do you guys recommend? I think I'll jump on one now that the Batman/Witcher deal is live. Thanks!

Edit: Hmm, I see the EVGA SC was recommended on the last page. I think I'll go with that.

Depends on the price and where you are. If you're in the US, after rebate the newer SSC ACX2.0+ ($330 after $15 rebate) costs the same as the old SC ACX2.0 ($330 outright) so if you don't mind the rebate, the SSC is a better buy.

RGM79

I'm buying a new processor (i5 4690, not K) and need a motherboard with a 1150 socket.
Is there anything wrong with a "MSI B85M-E45"?

It's in stock at a local shop were I have an expiring gift coupon so if there aren't any major problems I'd buy that. Not looking to overclock the i5.

The B85 motherboard should be fine. keep in mind that it may not support the i5 4690 without a BIOS update. Some B85 motherboards are shipped to retailers with newer BIOS revisions, I would ask the retailer to check if the motherboard already has the BIOS revision "A4" or newer to be sure it will work with the i5 4690 processor.

spinz

ok... i havnt given up with my case problems... yet :p
I found this video of the exact same case im dealing with: https://youtu.be/zurZyJ2cjOI?t=120
On the bottom right is the bay where the harddrive is. The bay right above that is the one im trying to pull out. There were 4 rivets that were holding it in... i got those out with a drill pretty easily.. buts it like its also clipped with steel tabs in the bay above it. Anyone with ideas for yanking that sucker out ? (second area up from the bottom right) :p

The 4790K doesn't work with X99 motherboards or DDR4 RAM. If you want X99 and DDR4 RAM, you'll need to buy the i7 5820K instead. If you want to stick with the i7 4790K, that means you need a Z97 motherboard and DDR3 RAM instead.

Usually the more expensive motherboards have additional features or gimmicks that aren't really necessary nor add to performance or quality. Extra ports, software, certain color schemes and looks, things like that. Midrange motherboards are more than good enough for moderate overclocking.

What kind of a budget do you have, and are you just looking for a list of parts without the graphics card?

My budget is ~$3k with monitor but I can go higher.

Dont's:
I don't want a Titan X
I don't want the highest end CPU but will take one if its necessary for DDR4

Do's:
Want DDR4 if its a good improvement over DDR3, and I assume it is.
Want a Gsync monitor, preferably over 1080p.
Want to future proof where possible.

I specced out a computer for $2300 without monitor thus far, but with your comments about 4790k not working with DDR4, I'll need to reconsider some parts.

Any recommendations?

TronLight

My budget is ~$3k with monitor but I can go higher.

Dont's:
I don't want a Titan X
I don't want the highest end CPU but will take one if its necessary for DDR4

Do's:
Want DDR4 if its a good improvement over DDR3, and I assume it is.
Want a Gsync monitor, preferably over 1080p.
Want to future proof where possible.

I specced out a computer for $2300 without monitor thus far, but with your comments about 4790k not working with DDR4, I'll need to reconsider some parts.

Any recommendations?
AFAIK, not really. Not for gaming anyway. http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/...-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/8

shoplifter

Cross posting from the Alienware Alpha thread:

I'm not entirely happy with the 5400rpm hard disc, which I've heard folks complain about in the past (100% disk usage when installing The Old Republic, etc)

I'm looking at either a 7200rpm 1TB SSHD or a 256GB SSD. These options are $100ish. That's my budget. If I could afford it if get a 500GB SSD and be done with it.

Thoughts, comments? I'm concerned about the 256 only because at the sizes of many games that's 7-8 games installed at a time tops and I like to skip back and forth.

TronLight

Do you reckon the 4150 will be overkill? I don't really want my dad to break the bank on performance he won't need anyway. How's the G3258?

And yes, I will definitely get him an SSD.

My mother has a G-something in her pc (I'll check tomorrow which version, I don't remember now, it's from 2012 at best anyway) and for what she does, internet and work (she's a lawyer) it's definitely enough.

Actually, her PC doesn't even have an SSD and it's really snappy. Luckily she doesn't install loads of crap so that helps.

TronLight

I only have a prebuilt PC like the one's you find at a Walmart or Best buy, there's no way to upgrade it right ?

You can, the question is, should you? :lol Depends on what you want.

I'm not entirely happy with the 5400rpm hard disc, which I've heard folks complain about in the past (100% disk usage when installing The Old Republic, etc)

I'm looking at either a 7200rpm 1TB SSHD or a 256GB SSD. These options are $100ish. That's my budget. If I could afford it if get a 500GB SSD and be done with it.

Thoughts, comments? I'm concerned about the 256 only because at the sizes of many games that's 7-8 games installed at a time tops and I like to skip back and forth.

If you want to use it as the only storage space, 256GB it's going to go insane, not worth it.

IMHO, I'd buy a good 7200rpm HDD and save some money.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i just upgraded to a GTX 970, and despite that, i still can't get a stable 60 FPS with WoW on Ultra, even on freaking old instances such as Zulgurub(where it dips to 35-40 fps in some parts)

Is it really just my CPU(AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3.2ghz) that's hurting me? Should I fear for how Witcher 3 will perform?

The SSHD is the best value option. I wouldn't go with a 256GB SSD as your only storage drive even if you only plan on having several games installed at once. Spend the extra cash on a 512GB SSD or just get the SSHD.

Reckoner

So i just upgraded to a GTX 970, and despite that, i still can't get a stable 60 FPS with WoW on Ultra, even on freaking old instances such as Zulgurub(where it dips to 35-40 fps in some parts)

Is it really just my CPU(AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3.2ghz) that's hurting me? Should I fear for how Witcher 3 will perform?

WoW can be very demanding. What are your graphical settings?

Bisnic

WoW can be very demanding. What are your graphical settings?

Like i said, i tried everything at maximum settings(ultra to high, depending on the setting). I tried lowering some stuff from Ultra to High, but there was little changes in performance. This isn't even while raiding with 24 other people.

LilJoka

I would consider a Crucial BX100 512GB SSD, or a relatively large 2-3TB HDD to get the higher density platters which are pretty fast.

That CPU will definatly hold you back. Use MSI Afterburner or GPUz and Task Manager to monitor the usage of the CPU/GPU. Whichever is at 100% would be the bottleneck.

terrisus

Kind of posted this earlier, but a snag came up. I think I may still end up making the parts work though, so looking for some more thoughts on this:

Hey PCGAF!

I'm looking to put together a relatively inexpensive desktop as a backup to my main computer
(which is a laptop hooked to a trackball, keyboard, and monitor >.>)

Next week I'm getting the following parts, thanks to a trade with an awesome GAFfer:

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
GT640 Graphics Card

So, I think that leaves...
A case
Power Supply
RAM
Hard Drive
OS
Am I missing anything else?...

I got a 400W ATX power supply (Dynex. As I said, this is a budget build)
I should be able to get Windows 8 through my school...
And, I have a couple of 240GB Seagate 600 SSDs that I could use for the hard drives...

So, that leaves:
A case
RAM
Anything else?

Hoping someone can link me to some decent parts that I can use to complete the build for around $100...
As well as make sure I don't run into any issues with the wattage or size or configuration or such.

Thanks a bunch =)

knitoe

Like i said, i tried everything at maximum settings(ultra to high, depending on the setting). I tried lowering some stuff from Ultra to High, but there was little changes in performance. This isn't even while raiding with 24 other people.

If you lower graphic settings and FPS doesn't improve, most likely, your CPU is the limiting factor. Generally, mmo are very CPU dependent.

Bisnic

What's a good, but not too expensive, AMD CPU then? I really don't feel like buying another motherboard for an Intel CPU (not to mention another CPU fan), on top of needing to reinstall Windows due to the motherboard change. The GTX 970 was already expensive enough.

LilJoka

What's a good, but not too expensive, AMD CPU then? I really don't feel like buying another motherboard for an Intel CPU (not to mention another CPU fan), on top of needing to reinstall Windows. The GTX 970 was already expensive enough.

What Motherboard do you have?

Problem is, even the Core i3 can match top AMD CPUs. Maybe WOW can take advantage of extra cores though.

You can see the 8 core AMD beaten by a 4 core i5 here
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8350-vishera-review,3328-15.html

Bisnic

This is strange. My wife maxes WoW on a GTX 770 @1080p(with CSAAx2 or whatever the max AA is) and has a constant 60 fps, with very rare drops to the mid 50's if things are crazy. It more than likely is your CPU as the 970 is more than capable of handling WoW.

Kayant

It's an Asus M5A97.

Are AMD CPUs that bad? =/ Damn it... That's another 400$ CAN down the toilet if I need to change both my motherboard and get a decent CPU. Not to mention another CPU fan.

You likely don't need to spend that much but that depends on your budget and upgrading to fx series probably wouldn't improve things that much sadly and with mmos u will still have those drops more because the per core performance not being that great compared to Intel CPUs. What CPU cooler do u have as u may not need to replace that but need different mounting hardware.

LilJoka

It's an Asus M5A97.

Are AMD CPUs that bad? =/ Damn it... That's another 400$ CAN down the toilet if I need to change both my motherboard and get a decent CPU. Not to mention another CPU fan.

If i were you, I would buy 2nd hand parts, try to get a i5 2500k, i7 2600k, i5 3570k, i7 3770k, and a Z77 motherboard, or if you dont care for overclocking, a H67 motherboard. Shouldnt cost that much.

Bisnic

You likely don't need to spend that much but that depends on your budget and upgrading to fx series probably wouldn't improve things that much sadly and with mmos u will still have those drops more because the per core performance not being that great compared to Intel CPUs. What CPU cooler do u have as u may not need to replace that but need different mounting hardware.

I'm 99% sure i have this fan(looks very similar at least):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
Can you buy the mounting hardware separatly?

What's the best intel CPU you can buy without spending too much(like below 250$ CAN)?

Edit : Just saw the above post. Will these perform good enough though? I was thinking more of an i5 in the 4000k range.

Okay, GAF, I'm going to build a new PC for Batman and the Witcher 3. I've been a console gamer for a really long time, but I had a great PC for BF3 (that my twin brother took with him to California), and I want to run games at glorious 1080p/60fps on high to ultra settings.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
My Current Specs: A PS4. I'm starting from scratch, here.
Budget: $1200-1800 + United States of America - I'd prefer it on the low side, but the higher end is there in case you expert folks recommend that I get better/more expensive parts than I have already selected.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2, Streaming games in HD - 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4.
Monitor Resolution: I mostly plan to play at 1080p for now, but my display is a 4k TV with a 60hz HDMI input (only 1 of 5 works for this). It's a Vizio M70C3. I'd love to play games in glorious 4k if it's at all feasible, but i'm going to need you good people to dash those hopes. As it stands, 60fps is the most I need.
SPECIFIC games or applications that I MUST be able to run well: The new Batman, Witcher 3, basically everything out to date. A solid 30fps is acceptable, but I'm shooting for a solid (rare drops are okay) 60fps. It'd be nice to be able to run the game with all of the PhysX bells and whistles, but it's not a dealbreaker if I have to turn some of the more intensive simulations down. Supersampling isn't a must, and I don't know what CUDA is, but golly does it sound nice!
No parts will be reused, as I'm starting from scratch.
I plan to build it in the upcoming weeks, basically before the end of this month.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably, I'm going for a large case that should have plenty of air flow.

Here's a build that I've been toying around with on PC Part Picker. I have 2 GTX 970s on the list, but I'm not really dead set on buying 2 right away. I don't know the difference between the various motherboards or CPU coolers, so I picked what was highly rated for a decent price. Suggestions and comments are absolutely appreciated. I'm not dead set on the case that I picked there; I just want a case with good air flow that doesn't look like a 13-year-old's wet dream. It needs to be subdued to fit in with my media center--that means no flashing neons or lightshows.

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.75 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1515.30

Is 8GB enough RAM? Would 2 4GB sticks be better? Is that MOBO any good? Etc., etc.

Maybe a little off topic. But does anyone know of a site that just buys computer parts? I don't really like using eBay for something like this, because it seems really easy to get scammed, and I rarely see computer parts sell in the buy/sell/trade thread.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Maybe a little off topic. But does anyone know of a site that just buys computer parts? I don't really like using eBay for something like this, because it seems really easy to get scammed, and I rarely see computer parts sell in the buy/sell/trade thread.
anandtech forum, [H]ard forums, eBay (shit like you said), here.

LilJoka

I'm 99% sure i have this fan(looks very similar at least):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
Can you buy the mounting hardware separatly?

What's the best intel CPU you can buy without spending too much(like below 250$ CAN)?

Edit : Just saw the above post. Will these perform good enough though? I was thinking more of an i5 in the 4000k range.

Hyper 212 comes with mounting hardware for Intel socket 115x CPUs.
Yes even i5 2500k is good, just check the link in my last post. The 3xxx chips are 5-10% faster than 2xxx chips. The 4xxx chips are 5-10% faster than 3xxx chips. But all have enough power for a GTX 970. An i7 2600K ~4.3Ghz overclocked will beat a stock i7 4790K 4Ghz.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay, GAF, I'm going to build a new PC for Batman and the Witcher 3. I've been a console gamer for a really long time, but I had a great PC for BF3 (that my twin brother took with him to California), and I want to run games at glorious 1080p/60fps on high to ultra settings.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
My Current Specs: A PS4. I'm starting from scratch, here.
Budget: $1200-1800 + United States of America - I'd prefer it on the low side, but the higher end is there in case you expert folks recommend that I get better/more expensive parts than I have already selected.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 2, Streaming games in HD - 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4.
Monitor Resolution: I mostly plan to play at 1080p for now, but my display is a 4k TV with a 60hz HDMI input (only 1 of 5 works for this). It's a Vizio M70C3. I'd love to play games in glorious 4k if it's at all feasible, but i'm going to need you good people to dash those hopes. As it stands, 60fps is the most I need.
SPECIFIC games or applications that I MUST be able to run well: The new Batman, Witcher 3, basically everything out to date. A solid 30fps is acceptable, but I'm shooting for a solid (rare drops are okay) 60fps. It'd be nice to be able to run the game with all of the PhysX bells and whistles, but it's not a dealbreaker if I have to turn some of the more intensive simulations down. Supersampling isn't a must, and I don't know what CUDA is, but golly does it sound nice!
No parts will be reused, as I'm starting from scratch.
I plan to build it in the upcoming weeks, basically before the end of this month.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably, I'm going for a large case that should have plenty of air flow.

Here's a build that I've been toying around with on PC Part Picker. I have 2 GTX 970s on the list, but I'm not really dead set on buying 2 right away. I don't know the difference between the various motherboards or CPU coolers, so I picked what was highly rated for a decent price. Suggestions and comments are absolutely appreciated. I'm not dead set on the case that I picked there; I just want a case with good air flow that doesn't look like a 13-year-old's wet dream. It needs to be subdued to fit in with my media center--that means no flashing neons or lightshows.

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.75 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1515.30

Is 8GB enough RAM? Would 2 4GB sticks be better? Is that MOBO any good? Etc., etc.
Get 16GB of RAM.
A single 970 now for 1080/60 is more than enough for most things, you can look at next generation cards when you want to bump up to 4k imo
ditch the AS5 and use what comes with the 212, it's probably better by now. If you want paste get noctua or tk-3 pk1 pk3
SSD: Swap to Crucial MX100 (imo just proven, BX is cheap but new)
Mobo is best for value and features that matter and I went through 40 of them, doubt it;s changed much.
I don't trust Seagate 1TB anymore I see so many fail in the shop, I'd get WD Blue (All HDD are shit now, so whatever)

Bisnic

Hyper 212 comes with mounting hardware for Intel socket 115x CPUs.
Yes even i5 2500k is good, just check the link in my last post. The 3xxx chips are 5-10% faster than 2xxx chips. The 4xxx chips are 5-10% faster than 3xxx chips. But all have enough power for a GTX 970. An i7 2600K ~4.3Ghz overclocked will beat a stock i7 4790K 4Ghz.

Sadly, I had this CPU fan for years, I don't think i have the other mounting hardware for intel cpus with me anymore. :( Can I still buy this kind of stuff separtely somewhere?

kennah

Sadly, I had this CPU fan for years, I don't think i have the other mounting hardware for intel cpus with me anymore. :( Can I still buy this kind of stuff separtely somewhere?
Email coolermaster support. They'll probably charge you like 5 for it

TronLight

You can try asking Cooler Master for a replacement mounting/brackets. I've read that sometimes they (as in cooler manufacturers) send replacements for free or you just have to pay for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom