• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesskid1

Banned
now that i think about it a PSU is the most "future-proof" thing of a PC?

the one i just replaced worked 6 years and still going strong. only replaced it because i wanted modular and for to be more quiet.

i didnt mind paying a bit more knowing how long i would use it. plan to use it in all my future builds for forever.

watch them add a 10 pin or something now, heh.

RGM79

so would they factor in the shipping? hmmm...because on pcpartspicker sometimes do not list shipping. yeah but pcpartspicker lists sites such as vuugo, etc. so would that mean they can refuse to price match?

i can probably ask a friend to build the pc, but then i don't know where to get cheap os so 70 bucks for labour and os installation seems reasonable.

You might run into some trouble with the pricematch, it's hard to say. I'm not sure if they will factor shipping into the costs. Do you have a parts list already?

Didn't you say you were just going to buy a license key from Reddit? I'm not sure if the assembly service will download the OS for you, they might expect a boxed copy of Windows. You may have to ask them about that.

You might run into some trouble with the pricematch, it's hard to say. I'm not sure if they will factor shipping into the costs. Do you have a parts list already?

Didn't you say you were just going to buy a license key from Reddit? I'm not sure if the assembly service will download the OS for you, they might expect a boxed copy of Windows. You may have to ask them about that.

yep i just read it again. yeah you buy the os and install it for you. so 30 bucks to install os? uh...

i think i get it now. basically you can dl win8.1 iso and then just buy a key to activate it. ahhh..

RGM79

yep i just read it again. yeah you buy the os and install it for you. so 30 bucks to install os? uh...

i think i get it now. basically you can dl win8.1 iso and then just buy a key to activate it. ahhh..

Yep, both points are right.

Where in Canada are you, if you don't mind me asking? If you're in Vancouver, I can offer to assemble your PC for you.

I'm about to do my first PC upgrade I've done in 2-3 years, by buying a gtx 970, but I see several of them on the amazon site, is there any notable difference between them?

baphomet

Just wanted to post a pic of my new addition to my pc :D

5JSGg85.jpg

Next purchase will be a one of those sexy 1440p g-sync displays.

axb2013

Upgraded from a H67 & I5-2400 budget build to: I7-4790K on a MSI Z97 G5 with 16GB DDR3 1866 powered by a Corsair AX760, all inside a Corsair 760T.

Transferred my 970 (temporarily) to the new build, still with a Catleap monitor until it's time to upgrade GPU & monitor.

Bumped the CPU to 4.5 GHz for now, 970 is stretching it's legs. Another one would get me to where I want to be with GPU's vs. 1440p but 4K is calling to me...

I'm getting old. Easy to navigate and OC friendly BIOS menus, spacious cases, idiot proof water cooling. Back in the day, you had to fight tooth & nail for those, now they are served to you on a platter.

Alright, this is the build i'm looking at given the useful feedback I got last page (Thanks mkenyon and RGM79). This will be with a 4790k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $949.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 02:08 EDT-0400

I folded on the Hadron case. As much as I love the look and size, its just too many compromises. Even the Node 304 seems a compromise-y, but I want the smallest and quietest build.

I still like the idea of the Corsair H-series coolers, but there's tons of different ones now and not sure if they're worth the money.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a monitor. I'll probably just do a 120 or 144hz 24" that runs at 1080p.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hi Gaf!

I've built a gaming pc a few years ago (in the summer of 2012), and i'm looking to upgrade the graphics card. I currently do not have the gaming pc with me but below are the specs (from what I can remember):

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM3
- Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 Mobo
- Zotac GTX 470
- Stock Cooler
- Optical Drive
- 8GB ram (I don't remember whether its DDR3 or DDR2)
- 450watt PSU

And so, i'm currently looking to upgrade the GFX card to a GTX 970. What do you guys think - advice? It has been a while, so I apologize in advance!

RGM79

I didn't know you were Pac NW too! I'm down near Olympia in Washington.

Oh wow, that's not too far away.

I'm about to do my first PC upgrade I've done in 2-3 years, by buying a gtx 970, but I see several of them on the amazon site, is there any notable difference between them?

Some are clocked at slightly different speeds and can have different features. Some of them have silent fan modes that will turn them off at low temperatures, for example.

Alright, this is the build i'm looking at given the useful feedback I got last page (Thanks mkenyon and RGM79). This will be with a 4790k.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $949.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 02:08 EDT-0400

I folded on the Hadron case. As much as I love the look and size, its just too many compromises. Even the Node 304 seems a compromise-y, but I want the smallest and quietest build.

I still like the idea of the Corsair H-series coolers, but there's tons of different ones now and not sure if they're worth the money.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a monitor. I'll probably just do a 120 or 144hz 24" that runs at 1080p.

There's some things I'd change in your parts list, and I'll list why below.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($86.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $932.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 02:53 EDT-0400

1. Changed the RAM for a faster yet cheaper set.
2. After rebate, the slightly faster EVGA SSC ACX2.0+ costs the same as the regular Superclocked ACX2.0 model. Might as well get the slightly better one then.
3. For smaller cases, we recommend PSUs with modular cables and the Cooler Master model is just as small as the Corsair model yet has modular cabling to cut down on the amount of clutter and cable management, and that in the end will improve airflow, so it's worth the slightly more expensive cost.

Hi Gaf!

I've built a gaming pc a few years ago (in the summer of 2012), and i'm looking to upgrade the graphics card. I currently do not have the gaming pc with me but below are the specs (from what I can remember):

- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM3
- Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3 Mobo
- Zotac GTX 470
- Stock Cooler
- Optical Drive
- 8GB ram (I don't remember whether its DDR3 or DDR2)
- 450watt PSU

And so, i'm currently looking to upgrade the GFX card to a GTX 970. What do you guys think - advice? It has been a while, so I apologize in advance!

What your budget for upgrades? The 450 watt power supply is a bit weak for the GTX 970, you might want to consider getting a new power supply as well. Have you overclocked your processor?

You probably have DDR3 RAM.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
What your budget for upgrades? The 450 watt power supply is a bit weak for the GTX 970, you might want to consider getting a new power supply as well. Have you overclocked your processor?

You probably have DDR3 RAM.

As of now, I don't have a budget. In other words the 450w PSU would not be able to power the GTX 970? If I were to change the PSU what would be a suitable wattage? Lastly, how does my setup hold up in 2015 - i.e. the processor. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Thanks!

)

1. Changed the RAM for a faster yet cheaper set.
2. After rebate, the slightly faster EVGA SSC ACX2.0+ costs the same as the regular Superclocked ACX2.0 model. Might as well get the slightly better one then.
3. For smaller cases, we recommend PSUs with modular cables and the Cooler Master model is just as small as the Corsair model yet has modular cabling to cut down on the amount of clutter and cable management, and that in the end will improve airflow, so it's worth the slightly more expensive cost.
Whoa, I like that RAM.

What do you think about the Corsair 250D case? Would I get a lot more options if I was willing to go to that size? Are the the H-series water cooling systems worth it enough to change the case for them?

RGM79

As of now, I don't have a budget to say. In other words the 450w PSU would not be able to power the GTX 970? If I were to change the PSU what would be a suitable wattage? Lastly, how does my setup hold up in 2015 - i.e. the processor. Sorry for the barrage of questions! Thanks!

Generally you need a 500 watt power supply or better for a PC with a single GTX 970. However, 450 watts might be enough if you don't intend to do any overclocking, as the GTX 970 by itself will draw somewhat less than 200 watts.

If you do get a new power supply, I'd recommend 650 watts or better . That should be enough for most PCs running a single graphics card, including some CPU and GPU overclocking.

Your Phenom II x4 965 processor might struggle with the latest games and could be considered a bottleneck in certain situations. The minimum requirements for many of the latest games (like The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight) mention similar processors as being the minimum accepted CPU, so it's still acceptable for now and can already be considered getting old but not totally obsolete. That's why I asked if you have overclocked your processor or not, that would help with gaming performance but would put additional strain on your power supply.

Whoa, I like that RAM.

What do you think about the Corsair 250D case? Would I get a lot more options if I was willing to go to that size? Are the the H-series water cooling systems worth it enough to change the case for them?

The Corsair 250D is nice looking, but due to the internal layout it won't fit the 212 Evo cooler. It's meant to accommodate a water cooler instead. Major differences between the 250D and Node 304 would be that the 250D offers better airflow and can accommodate a larger power supply, a disc drive, and large 240mm water cooler radiators for higher end CPU cooling, at the cost of fewer drive bays and being fairly larger than the Node 304 in all dimensions.

The 212 Evo is a great budget cooler that should be enough for your needs. I think the 250D with the window and the water cooler would look nice, but you'd have to consider the higher end water cooler models for a big enough difference in cooling performance and that would cost a lot more.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't recommend the 250D and a water cooler, if you want them then go for it, but if you're looking to save money then the 212 Evo is the better bet.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Generally you need a 500 watt power supply or better for a PC with a single GTX 970. However, 450 watts might be enough if you don't intend to do any overclocking, as the GTX 970 by itself will draw somewhat less than 200 watts.

If you do get a new power supply, I'd recommend 650 watts or better . That should be enough for most PCs running a single graphics card, including some CPU and GPU overclocking.

Your Phenom II x4 965 processor might struggle with the latest games and could be considered a bottleneck in certain situations. The minimum requirements for many of the latest games (like The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight) mention similar processors as being the minimum accepted CPU, so it's still acceptable for now and can already be considered getting old but not totally obsolete. That's why I asked if you have overclocked your processor or not, that would help with gaming performance but would put additional strain on your power supply.

Ah I see. I did not overclock my CPU. At this point, I can still make do with the current PSU but for better performance would you recommend a complete overhaul of my current set up?

VoxPop

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Is my old PSU usable in my mini ITX Node 304 build with a GTX 970?

RGM79

Ah I see. I did not overclock my CPU. At this point, I can still make do with the current PSU but for better performance would you recommend a complete overhaul of my current set up?

If you don't need to play at the highest framerates or graphics settings, then a new graphics card will just fine as an upgrade. However, your current PC is at the point where you could go for an overhaul or maybe even replace most or all of it, depending on how much you want to spend.

In addition to a new graphics card, a smaller overhaul would be buying an AMD FX processor like the 63xx or 83xx models and a decent CPU cooler and power supply. A major overhaul or replacement would mean buying an Intel processor and motherboard instead of AMD.

And then there are other things you could buy that aren't as necessary but are nice, like an SSD (improves loading times dramatically and makes everything feel quick but doesn't improve framerate) or a new case (new looks, better airflow, and maybe features like sound-muffling design), depending on how much you want to spend.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Is my old PSU usable in my mini ITX Node 304 build with a GTX 970?
Corsair sold quite a few different power supplies under the same TX650 model name, but if it's 150mm long as the Corsair website says it is, it will fit in the Node 304 and not interfere with the graphics card. Cable management might be a bit messy, though.

Jharp

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025110

Really tempted to pick up this 27" monitor with some left over tax return money. What do you think GAF? Does it look gaming worthy? I'm on an old 22" 16:10 monitor I bought in 2008 and it's about time for an upgrade. This one looks really good, but I know so little of monitor stuff (beyond resolution, ms, and refresh rate, I'm at a loss), especially in regards to gaming, that I want some thoughts before hand.

The only review I can find for it is a single unhelpful review on newegg, but Amazon has nothing, and there's no video reviews on the tubes.

But with the sale price, AND coupon code, the grand total for that thing is only $230.

I need some buying advice, GAF.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
If you don't need to play at the highest framerates or graphics settings, then a new graphics card will just fine as an upgrade. However, your current PC is at the point where you could go for an overhaul or maybe even replace most or all of it, depending on how much you want to spend.

In addition to a new graphics card, a smaller overhaul would be buying an AMD FX processor like the 63xx or 83xx models and a decent CPU cooler and power supply. A major overhaul or replacement would mean buying an Intel processor and motherboard instead of AMD.

And then there are other things you could buy that aren't as necessary but are nice, like an SSD (improves loading times dramatically and makes everything feel quick but doesn't improve framerate) or a new case (new looks, better airflow, and maybe features like sound-muffling design), depending on how much you want to spend.

That makes sense. If that's the case i will be considering a new build with an intel processor in the future. As of now, i'm not looking to play games with the best graphics or highest frame rates - as long as it's marginally better than a PS4 in terms of gfx and frame rates.

Since my current CPU is potentially a bottleneck going forward, would you recommend a GTX 960 (min 400watt psu) compared to the 970/980?

VoxPop

Absolutely.

RGM79 said:
Corsair sold quite a few different power supplies under the same TX650 model name, but if it's 150mm long as the Corsair website says it is, it will fit in the Node 304 and not interfere with the graphics card. Cable management might be a bit messy, though.

Thanks guys!

Also what is the best Cherry MX keyboard? Preferably slim and backlit? Nothing too overly gaming looking.

XBP

So whats the word on SLI these days? Does it still have the problems it used to or most of them get fixed a few weeks after release?

I'm tempted to get a second GTX 970 because of this witcher 3 and batman deal.

Urthor

To thread, do we have any estimates if/what kind of price drops we can except after Computex for NVIDIA cards.

tbf it's a shakey ask but curiosity demands it because balancing the Witcher key deal vs the lack of firepower in the AMD rebranding of the low end cards makes things awk if you're looking for cards at the 970 price point, not the 980 tier.

Thanks guys!

Also what is the best Cherry MX keyboard? Preferably slim and backlit? Nothing too overly gaming looking.

Really depends because there's a bunch of different price points, the 100-120 pricepoint for "it has Cherry and backlit that's it," and the 150-200 (or higher) price point scale for various other features.

RGM79

That makes sense. If that's the case i will be considering a new build with an intel processor in the future. As of now, i'm not looking to play games with the best graphics or highest frame rates - as long as it's marginally better than a PS4 in terms of gfx and frame rates.

Since my current CPU is potentially a bottleneck going forward, would you recommend a GTX 960 (min 400watt psu) compared to the 970/980?
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. You may even be able to overclock your processor with the GTX 960 and the rest of your specs.

Maniac

Banned
There are a lot of cases that will work for you, the Air 540 is very good for airflow, so it should be just fine.

It's unfortunate, but due to the Danish market prices, you will have to make some cuts. Even with just 8GB RAM and no SSD, it seems impossible to fit a GTX 970 into the budget.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (1.937 kr @ B.J. Trading)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (239,49 kr @ ComputerSalg.dk)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (696 kr @ B.J. Trading)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (499 kr @ Alternate.dk)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2699 kr @ webhallen.com)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9)) (551 kr @ CompuMail)
Total: 6.621,49 kr

If I'm not wrong, that's about 1.000 kr more than your friend was hoping to spend at the most ($850 USD = 5.660 kr). You could consider dropping the 212 Evo cooler for now and leaving it for a future purchase, or maybe consider a cheaper graphics card. Perhaps you could persuade your friend to look at similar but cheaper cases like the NZXT S340. You could go with a cheaper processor, but the i5 4690K is recommended for its ability to overclock, which will allow it to have a longer useful life than a similar non-overclocking i5 processor.
Cheers man. I'll see if he's up for increasing the budget; he did start out asking if it was possible to build a "good" gaming rig for 10.000DKK, so I imagine he might be willing to increase it some. And I'm definitely getting him a CPU that's capable in it's own right but can be overclocked for the increased later-in-life performance. I think I'd ditch the 212 Evo for now, and make him buy it or a similar cooler once he's going to outright need overclocking.

Quick question though; is the Gigabyte mobo better or worse than the MSI one? It's only 3DKKs difference, afterall; and I've had bad experiences with MSI, but good ones with GB.

And actually, another quick 'un; which 970, disregarding price, would you recommend?

faux-edit, actually not disregarding price entirely, I mean if given the chance I imagine most if not all of us would pick the Hall of Fame one. I digress, I've heard good things about the ASUS Strix, do you, or anyone else, have some first-hand feedback or anecdotes?

An actual, real edit!: If we were to cut out the 970, is there any other somewhat cheap GPU you would recommend? Neither of us are "fans" of AMD after some incredibly bad past experiences, mind. I do have a GTX 570 lying around, with a triple-slot ASUS aircooler... Would that be good enough if OC'd somewhat? I've no idea how high it can go, but with the cooler I imagine it should be able to do decently.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. You may even be able to overclock your processor with the GTX 960 and the rest of your specs.

How do you over clock the processor? Is the GTX 960 a decent choice? Or would you recommend something else? In terms of the 960 which one is considered the best within its product range?

Is the 980Ti actually coming out this month? My 780Ti is really creaking along at 1440P and getting beaten to death at 4K. Need to upgrade so bad ;-;

At the very least 1080P scales well and looks alright on my 4K TV so I can always fall back on that if the performance gets too bad. Looks abysmal on the monitor though.

Edit: Also, is there a way to scale fonts for two different monitors? If I increase the font size for the 4K TV they're huge for my 1440P monitor when I switch back to it. Annoying to switch back and forth given it forces you to sign out.

RGM79

Cheers man. I'll see if he's up for increasing the budget; he did start out asking if it was possible to build a "good" gaming rig for 10.000DKK, so I imagine he might be willing to increase it some. And I'm definitely getting him a CPU that's capable in it's own right but can be overclocked for the increased later-in-life performance. I think I'd ditch the 212 Evo for now, and make him buy it or a similar cooler once he's going to outright need overclocking.

Quick question though; is the Gigabyte mobo better or worse than the MSI one? It's only 3DKKs difference, afterall; and I've had bad experiences with MSI, but good ones with GB.

And actually, another quick 'un; which 970, disregarding price, would you recommend?

faux-edit, actually not disregarding price entirely, I mean if given the chance I imagine most if not all of us would pick the Hall of Fame one. I digress, I've heard good things about the ASUS Strix, do you, or anyone else, have some first-hand feedback or anecdotes?

An actual, real edit!: If we were to cut out the 970, is there any other somewhat cheap GPU you would recommend? Neither of us are "fans" of AMD after some incredibly bad past experiences, mind. I do have a GTX 570 lying around, with a triple-slot ASUS aircooler... Would that be good enough if OC'd somewhat? I've no idea how high it can go, but with the cooler I imagine it should be able to do decently.

Well, the Gigabyte and MSI motherboards are in different price ranges and are different sizes. I won't deny it, the MSI Z97 PC Mate is a lower end model that I chose mainly for the low price but relatively positive reviews from the North American PC community (4/5 rating on Newegg and 4.5/5 rating on Amazon.com). That said, I don't see where the low price is. The lowest Danish price for the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 motherboard recommended by lordfuzzybutt is 1.088 DKK, over 30% more expensive than the MSI Z97 PC Mate. Maybe you were looking at a different Gigabyte motherboard?

I think brand quality can vary quite a lot, anecdotally I have owned one midrange MSI motherboard and one midrange Gigabyte motherboard (both were P55 models) and the Gigabyte motherboard suffered from bad RAM slots while the MSI motherboard through no fault of its own died when the CPU water cooler pump leaked coolant. The choice is up to you though so if you prefer a brand other than MSI, then I can recommend some alternative cheap motherboards from other brands. I cannot guarantee quality, of course. All I can do is look for reviews and check if there aren't any known defects, issues, or compatibility concerns before recommending parts.

ASRock Z97 Anniversary for 660 DKK
Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 for 650 DKK
Asus Z97-P for 772 DKK

Unfortunately, I do not have any first hand experience with any GTX 970 as I have never owned one for myself. I am actually assembling a computer (for someone else) right now that has a GTX 970. It was just a few hours ago - it was the first time I even held a GTX 970, but I have not tested the computer yet. As for which GTX 970 brand I recommend, I normally recommend those brands that are readily available in North America as those are the ones that seem to get the most reviews and so they are the ones that I have the most "experience" with. That includes Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc. I see on the pricerunner.dk website that there are more European brands available such as Inno3D and Gainward. I remember reading a review for the Gainward GTX 970 Phantom and it was positive, the only negative aspect was the thicker than normal cooler that took up more space. I am not familiar with the Inno3D brand at all.

That said.. I don't think there are any awful GTX 970 cards out there that I'd actually avoid buying at all. There were certain EVGA models with defective coolers, but that issue is long gone and was fixed. You could buy any GTX 970 and have a good time with it, the only differences are the price and certain specific features (like zero fan speed mode for quiet operation).

If you and your friend want to avoid AMD.. then there's not much else in terms of choice. They're the competition after all. You have to look up to the more expensive GTX 980 which is almost certainly too much for the budget, or look down to the GTX 960 which has nice points but is somewhat lacking in raw performance.

The GTX 570 you have on hand is an OK midrange card for today's PC gaming. Stronger than the GTX 750 Ti, but weaker than the GTX 960, so it's somewhere in between. I'm going to guess that card you have is the 1.2GB VRAM model. If your friend plays games at 1080p then he'll have to turn down some graphics settings because even 2GB VRAM is already not enough for some games at 1080p, but otherwise it's a decent performer. Not great but not awful.

RGM79

Keeping this in a separate post because the last one was kinda long.

How do you over clock the processor? Is the GTX 960 a decent choice? Or would you recommend something else? In terms of the 960 which one is considered the best within its product range?

Refer to this guide for an in-depth look at overclocking your Phenom processor. You will need a decent CPU cooler if you don't already have one, the stock cooler is not good enough. Luckily, decent air coolers are relatively cheap upgrades and and be reused with new PCs and most coolers on the market are compatible with both Intel and AMD. I recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($29), it's the king of budget coolers and is good enough for moderate overclocking.

The graphics card that I usually recommend instead of the GTX 960 is the AMD R9 280X, but that graphics card requires a stronger power supply than the one you have now, so I didn't consider it at all.

The GTX 960 comes in two different versions, 2GB and 4GB. The 2GB model starts at about $180 while the 4GB model starts at about $220. If you play games at 1080p and don't need highest settings, the 2GB model will suit you just fine. The 4GB model has the same performance as the 2GB model, but the 4GB of VRAM allows it to handle certain graphics settings on a higher level, like texture quality. At maximum settings, certain recent games will go over 2GB of VRAM usage, so that's why the 4GB model exists.

The best GTX 960 models are probably the EVGA FTW ACX 2.0+ models, they are have some of the highest factory overclock settings (1.3GHz I think) and are generally also the most expensive models. The 2GB model is $220 and the 4GB model is $249.

In your case, I think the 2GB model will suit you just fine, so this MSI GTX 960 2GB ($186) looks decent. It also comes with a free game code for the Witcher 3 if you're interested.

Is the 980Ti actually coming out this month? My 780Ti is really creaking along at 1440P and getting beaten to death at 4K. Need to upgrade so bad ;-;

At the very least 1080P scales well and looks alright on my 4K TV so I can always fall back on that if the performance gets too bad. Looks abysmal on the monitor though.

Edit: Also, is there a way to scale fonts for two different monitors? If I increase the font size for the 4K TV they're huge for my 1440P monitor when I switch back to it. Annoying to switch back and forth given it forces you to sign out.
No idea on the GTX 980 Ti. Each graphics card launch usually comes with months of hype and little tidbits of leaked information like shipping details or pre-production photos of testing cards and we haven't really seen much of that yet.

Windows 8.1 allows you to set different DPI settings for each monitor. See this article for more information.

RGM79

Since I am adding the I7-3770k to my P67 Deluxe a question arises if DDR3-1333 to DDR3-2133 is worth it. Is it?

Doesn't affect most games to be honest (especially if you're not using integrated graphics), and situations that rely on RAM speed are few and far between. See Anandtech's report on RAM speed with Ivy Bridge processors for an in-depth study.

When buying parts a new PC, it's easy to recommend higher speed RAM (1866/2133/2400MHz) since it doesn't cost a lot more than 1333/1600MHz, but it's harder to justify replacing existing RAM with faster RAM rather than just adding to the RAM you already have.

If you were just replacing your 1333MHz RAM with an identical amount of higher speed RAM, it'd be a waste of money to spend so much on a performance increase measured in single digit percentage boost that only appears in certain applications.

If you were also increasing the amount of memory you had, then that's a bit more justifiable, but it'd still be cheaper to buy 1333MHz to add up rather than replacing your existing low capacity RAM with higher capacity and higher speed RAM.

Doesn't seem to work well? When I switch to second screen only mode or to main PC the icons reflect the other monitor until you sign out and back in. It then will scale. Things like windows seem to scale without restarting but the taskbar and icons require you to sign out.

Still, way better than before. Thanks!

Oh, I thought you were using both monitors at once, I misread your situation. If you're only using one monitor at a time but switching back and forth, then I don't think there's an easy way around this. That DPI setting only really works for monitors that stay connected, oh well.

Guy I work with has £700 to build. No monitor required. I've put something together but feel my priority doesn't match his.

Can someone put together a good gaming build for £700

Dahaka

Doesn't affect most games to be honest (especially if you're not using integrated graphics), and situations that rely on RAM speed are few and far between. See Anandtech's report on RAM speed with Ivy Bridge processors for an in-depth study.

When buying parts a new PC, it's easy to recommend higher speed RAM (1866/2133/2400MHz) since it doesn't cost a lot more than 1333/1600MHz, but it's harder to justify replacing existing RAM with faster RAM rather than just adding to the RAM you already have.

If you were just replacing your 1333MHz RAM with an identical amount of higher speed RAM, it'd be a waste of money to spend so much on a performance increase measured in single digit percentage boost that only appears in certain applications.

If you were also increasing the amount of memory you had, then that's a bit more justifiable, but it'd still be cheaper to buy 1333MHz to add up rather than replacing your existing low capacity RAM with higher capacity and higher speed RAM.

Thank you. Looks like it really is a bad choice as I'd replace the whole 16GB DDR3 RAM for minimal gain.

Oh, I thought you were using both monitors at once, I misread your situation. If you're only using one monitor at a time but switching back and forth, then I don't think there's an easy way around this. That DPI setting only really works for monitors that stay connected, oh well.
I just use the big TV for couch gaming every now and again(Swift and Desktop are in the corner), still the solution you posted makes steam usable from there so it's something.

RGM79

Guy I work with has £700 to build. No monitor required. I've put something together but feel my priority doesn't match his.

Can someone put together a good gaming build for £700

Does he need a keyboard and mouse or anything else? Windows OS? Does your friend have an older PC that he could possible reuse parts like hard drives from? That would bring down costs more.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£184.66 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.49 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£52.85 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Direct CU II Video Card (£227.15 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£33.85 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £701.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 13:42 BST+0100

Right now, Aria has the EVGA GTX 970 SC for £252 which seems like a good price, it's never been that cheap before, according to PCPartPicker. It also includes free redeemable codes for the Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight games. It does cost £25 more than the R9 290X that I put on the parts list, so suppose you could fit the GTX 970 there if the CPU cooler was dropped from the list, your friend could always buy the cooler in the future when your friend feel like overclocking the processor..

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£184.66 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£52.85 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£33.85 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £701.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 13:50 BST+0100

Edit: I found cheaper RAM, but it's hard to edit them into the parts list as I'm on my. Phone at the moment.

Cheaper RAM
http://www.alternate.co.uk/G-Skill/...product/1081004?campaign=DDR3/G.Skill/1081004

Ugh...my 13 year old wants to build a pc, which is great. I figured and $800 - $1000 budget is more than generous. The problem is he sees all these extravagant builds on the internet with water cooking, SLI Titans, etc and now he has this idea that anything he picks that costs less than $2,500 is a meh build, and he refuses to give up the idea of water cooking because "it looks cool". No matter how much I tell him he doesn't need it, he thinks he does because he thinks I'm letting him overclock :/

I mean building a computer should be fun but at this point I don't even want to do it for him anymore because of his ridiculously high standards and I feel like we won't even appreciate it.

Anyone else experience a similar situation? Sorry I guess I just needed to vent a bit and this was the best place without creating a new thread.

Yep, both points are right.

Where in Canada are you, if you don't mind me asking? If you're in Vancouver, I can offer to assemble your PC for you.

i'm in alberta! :)

i am actually waiting for the new amd gpu coming out soon, and most likely skylake as well.

still, in depends on the prices of both. cpu+gpu are definitely the most expensive parts. i do have a friend who will help me assemble the parts. i just have to figure out compatibility and whatnot. this is my first ever pc build, so i'll make sure all the bases are covered and there is no screwing up. it's serious cash that can go towards a mutual fund.

Ugh...my 13 year old wants to build a pc, which is great. I figured and $800 - $1000 budget is more than generous. The problem is he sees all these extravagant builds on the internet with water cooking, SLI Titans, etc and now he has this idea that anything he picks that costs less than $2,500 is a meh build, and he refuses to give up the idea of water cooking because "it looks cool". No matter how much I tell him he doesn't need it, he thinks he does because he thinks I'm letting him overclock :/

I mean building a computer should be fun but at this point I don't even want to do it for him anymore because of his ridiculously high standards and I feel like we won't even appreciate it.

Anyone else experience a similar situation? Sorry I guess I just needed to vent a bit and this was the best place without creating a new thread.

he is 13. he should be more than mature enough to know how much money is involved. just tell him he only gets this much money and if he thinks it's meh, then tell him he doesn't get to build a pc at all.

now, if that money is his savings, then let him burn it and watch him regret it later. and don't budge whenever he asks for money afterwards.

kennah

If you're paying, figure out a base that you're happy with, and everything else needs to come out of his own earnings. I'd get him an anniversary Pentium and a mid range video card. Then anything higher is up to him.

A slightly different question, but what size USB card is recommended in downloading Windows 8.1 and MOBO drivers? Any special formatting I need to do (I'll have to download to the USB via macbook)?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, after losing a mobo and 2 hard-drives to whatever catastrophic failure I experienced, I have rebuilt my PC, and am now typing this post from the comfort of my couch.

i7 3770K
2X EVGA GTX 970 FTW in SLI
16GB Ram
250GB SSD
3TB HD
Windows 8.1
all in a nice Coolermaster HAF 932 case.

So far enjoying the Witcher 2, Mirrors Edge, and others at silky smooth 4K. It's great.

Do have a question though, since my understanding is that games are barely tapping powerful CPU's these days, would it be beneficial to assign PhysX duty to my CPU? Utilizing it more and freeing up the more precious GPU power?

Or is PhysX still not optimized enough on CPU's for that to have the desired effect?

Stupidly thought it would be a good idea to put some new ram in my old motherboard, and somehow it's completely killed it. Old ram doesn't even work now, yay. So now I've got to rush to try and build a new machine as I can't find my old motherboard for sale anywhere.

Assuming I don't care about overclocking, I'm guessing an i7 4790k is a good bet? I've got an i7 now, no idea which sort though as yeah... the machine wont boot. =/

knitoe

So, after losing a mobo and 2 hard-drives to whatever catastrophic failure I experienced, I have rebuilt my PC, and am now typing this post from the comfort of my couch.

i7 3770K
2X EVGA GTX 970 FTW in SLI
16GB Ram
250GB SSD
3TB HD
Windows 8.1
all in a nice Coolermaster HAF 932 case.

So far enjoying the Witcher 2, Mirrors Edge, and others at silky smooth 4K. It's great.

Do have a question though, since my understanding is that games are barely tapping powerful CPU's these days, would it be beneficial to assign PhysX duty to my CPU? Utilizing it more and freeing up the more precious GPU power?

Or is PhysX still not optimized enough on CPU's for that to have the desired effect?

PhysX is still much better and faster on the GPU so not worth it to run it on the CPU.

Also, I hope you, and others, learn the lesson to not try going cheap and saving money on the PSU. It's failure could cost you big time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Whoo! My CPU keeps a steady 50-55 degrees Celsius during heavy load, played a bunch of Dark Souls 2 SotFS and it was all good, no throttling due to heat or anything, all's well :D.

Also can someone recommend me a good cheap HDD that's a clear step above the shitty WD Green drives? I wanna replace it because it's bottlenecking Windows operations like fuck. It's all "U wanna surf the web while windows is indexing your drive and install a game on Steam at the same timeee...??? Lol u cant!"

Shambles

If you're paying, figure out a base that you're happy with, and everything else needs to come out of his own earnings. I'd get him an anniversary Pentium and a mid range video card. Then anything higher is up to him.

I like this idea. Sometimes people show interest at getting into PCs but it ends up just being the flavour of the week and they end up spending $1000 on something they only use once every couple weeks. I think a lot of peoples first computer in this thread were probably a collection of old random pieces assembled into some sort of FrankenPC but we end up with these $2000 machines down the road because we've stuck with the hobby. If I started with a high end machine at the start I might have taken it for granted and lost interest because there was nothing to move on to or little appreciate for how much it was capable of.

With the G3258 he can upgrade to a 4690K/4790K down the road if it's important to him. (Or maybe it's an opportunity to give him your old computer and upgrade your own machine :p)

Also can someone recommend me a good cheap HDD that's a clear step above the shitty WD Green drives? I wanna replace it because it's bottlenecking Windows operations like fuck. It's all "U wanna surf the web while windows is indexing your drive and install a game on Steam at the same timeee...??? Lol u cant!"

The era of the HDD is over. Get an SSD for your boot drive. Even if all you can afford is a 60-128GB SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom