• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xena

Hey Gaf, after my finals next week, I'm hoping to wipe out my pc and do a windows fresh install. I have a Windows 8.0 OEM disc which I bought when I built my pc in 2013 (thank Gaf for the part picks, my pc is still working in ship shape!).

What's the best way to go about fresh installing it? Is it possible to download the 8.1 update beforehand and install together with 8.0 disc from start?

While I was reading up about it, I read articles and comments that said something about the OEM version being tied to your motherboard, and that you can only reinstall that copy on it, is this really true?

Not that it matters to me right now since I'm not upgrading my pc just yet, just getting rid of all research documents and other school stuff that I scattered on my ssd. But at least I'd keep that in mind when I do decide to upgrade it.

Ac30

Does a 950W PSU constantly supply 950 watts? I got it along with the PC 3 years ago but since this is the first time I need to pay for power I'd like to know if this is gonna spike my bill :( my system's power draw is probably close to 550W under load.

knitoe

Does a 950W PSU constantly supply 950 watts? I got it along with the PC 3 years ago but since this is the first time I need to pay for power I'd like to know if this is gonna spike my bill :( my system's power draw is probably close to 550W under load.

No. It only draws as much as your PC ask for.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like this idea. Sometimes people show interest at getting into PCs but it ends up just being the flavour of the week and they end up spending $1000 on something they only use once every couple weeks. I think a lot of peoples first computer in this thread were probably a collection of old random pieces assembled into some sort of FrankenPC but we end up with these $2000 machines down the road because we've stuck with the hobby. If I started with a high end machine at the start I might have taken it for granted and lost interest because there was nothing to move on to or little appreciate for how much it was capable of.

With the G3258 he can upgrade to a 4690K/4790K down the road if it's important to him. (Or maybe it's an opportunity to give him your old computer and upgrade your own machine :p)

The era of the HDD is over. Get an SSD for your boot drive. Even if all you can afford is a 60-128GB SSD.

I'm not looking for the best speeds. I'm looking for acceptable speeds. Games loading slow is a factor as well and a tiny SSD won't fix that as it won't hold many games at all.

Edit: That said, I am aiming to get a smaller SSD in the future to install Windows on, but in the meantime I don't have that much money to spend on stuff.

santanna_

Neo Member
Hi everyone.

Currently, i have a pretty old machine (Q6600, 650 GTX TI, etc) and i am very interested on build a new one. I don't live in US, so the computers parts are much more expensive here (thank you crazy import taxes).

I am aiming for Haz Excelent - Best Overall build ($1215), and i have basically two main questions:

- Would be a total waste of performance/money changing the i5 4690K, GA-Z97X and 16gb 1866 mhz for a i5 4400, Asus B85-ME and 8gb 1600 mhz? Specifically, the price difference between these part is pretty huge here. I would use this computer mainly for gaming (at 1080p).

- Or should I wait for intel's skylake, a gpu with direct x 12 and so on? I understand that the obsolescence in technology stuff is huge and etc, but in this case (if a buy these computer today), i will not to be able to upgrade nothing, at least not until i purchase a new motherboard for skylake and a new gpu with dx12.

mkenyon

Banned
Hi everyone.

Currently, i have a pretty old machine (Q6600, 650 GTX TI, etc) and i am very interested on build a new one. I don't live in US, so the computers parts are much more expensive here (thank you crazy import taxes).

I am aiming for Haz Excelent - Best Overall build ($1215), and i have basically two main questions:

- Would be a total waste of performance/money changing the i5 4690K, GA-Z97X and 16gb 1866 mhz for a i5 4400, Asus B85-ME and 8gb 1600 mhz? Specifically, the price difference between these part is pretty huge here. I would use this computer mainly for gaming (at 1080p).

- Or should I wait for intel's skylake, a gpu with direct x 12 and so on? I understand that the obsolescence in technology stuff is huge and etc, but in this case (if a buy these computer today), i will not to be able to upgrade nothing, at least not until i purchase a new motherboard for skylake and a new gpu with dx12.
I'd highly suggest aiming for the 4690K and a Z97 as a baseline, if you can afford it. It's well worth the price difference, and will remain relevant for a much longer time thanks to the ability to increase the core clock by 25-30%.
Is this 970 worth it for the price or should I wait for next gen of cards? I know about the less memory but does it matter much?
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?s..._-cables-_-na-_-na&itemnumber=N82E16814487088
"Is it worth" is incredibly subjective, unfortunately. The 970 is a great card though, especially at 1080p.

I'd highly suggest aiming for the 4690K and a Z97 as a baseline, if you can afford it. It's well worth the price difference, and will remain relevant for a much longer time thanks to the ability to increase the core clock by 25-30%.

"Is it worth" is incredibly subjective, unfortunately. The 970 is a great card though, especially at 1080p.
I'm not currently going over 1080p so that's fine if that's the only downside. I just wasn't sure if there was something on the horizon to wait for. If like to upgrade if it's a good deal but I'd not necessary by any means if it's better to wait.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not currently going over 1080p so that's fine if that's the only downside. I just wasn't sure if there was something on the horizon to wait for. If like to upgrade if it's a good deal but I'd not necessary by any means if it's better to wait.
There's always something on the horizon to wait for. You just have to pick a time and go with it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Could I get some feedback on the Newegg Twilight deals here?
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

I am still looking for a motherbaord for an office computer (I picked up a 3258 at Microcenter) and 8GB of DDR3 for that PC, or 16GB for my main gaming PC and demote the current 8 GB of DDR1600 to the office PC.

Is that $45 Gigabyte motherboard a decent deal?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...15-index-_-IntelMotherboards-_-13128687-S1A2C

And should I get this 8GB of Corsair for $55?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...050815-index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20233144-S1A6C

Is it worth bumping my current 3570k/9750 to 16GB of RAM from 8?

widgetraf

Hey GAF

Looking to build a new SFF gaming/work pc. The smaller (and quieter) the better!

Budget: $800 USA

Main Use: Work and Gaming, but doesn't really have to be cutting edge. Along the lines of Dota 2, Diablo, MMOs.

Monitor Resolution: Would like to play at 1080p, with a monitor size of around 20-21"

Unlikely to overclock and would want to have the smallest and quietest possible rig since it will be in my bedroom. Also trying to avoid something that lights up a lot.

Having dual monitors for work is a must, but I dont think this will be a problem with the newer GPUs... right? Gaming will be done on one monitor.

I am building a PC for a friend, but haven't put one together since 2009 and am kinda out of the loop with some of the newer stuff. I could use some advice on a couple components.

So far I have a gtx 970 picked out, but I'm having trouble on the CPU. All these 8 core amds and 4 or 6 core Intel's. I'm partial to Intel but that was 6 years ago and things may have changed since then.

Also like a gaffers opinion on the antec 900 case. That's what she wants for a case.

Overall the budget is about $2000 USD for the tower alone.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Here is the build I’m working on currently. I only got the parts yesterday, in store, from a MicroCenter. I couldn’t have things shipped around for complicated reasons, and I’ve had some challenges putting this together, so it is currently incomplete but almost done. I have zero cable management skills, so I’ll have to tinker with that. The pricing seemed pretty decent. I haven’t built a PC in 15 years, and haven’t had a computer or laptop to game with in about 5+ years. I know it’s a bit over-kill, but I figure it’s a bit future proof if down the line I want to add another GTX Titan X given the PSU is 800w.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower ATX - $139.99

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 850w Gold Modular - $144.99

Case Fans: 1x Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm - $19.99, 2x Corsair Air Series SP140 LED White - $19.99

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 - $139.99 (there are other sites offering it up to $30 or so cheaper:

Motherboard/CPU Combo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX - $179.99 / Intel i7 4790k $269.99

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB - $999.99

Memory: EVGA 16gb Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit DDR3-2133 2x8 modules - $99.99

Hard Drives: Samsung 850 PRO Series 256GB SATA III SSD - $159.99, WD Black 1TB - $79.99

Media: LG Blu-ray combo drive - $39.99

Wifi: Trendnet N600 Wireless Dual Band PCIe adapter - $24.99

MS Windows 8.1 64-bit English (DVD) - $99.99

(due to budget reasons after all of that) – Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24” 1080p 144 - $249.99

Total after taxes - $2936.93

Thoughts?

Shambles

I'm not looking for the best speeds. I'm looking for acceptable speeds. Games loading slow is a factor as well and a tiny SSD won't fix that as it won't hold many games at all.

Edit: That said, I am aiming to get a smaller SSD in the future to install Windows on, but in the meantime I don't have that much money to spend on stuff.

I agree. An SSD for games isn't an great use of resources. But the increasive in how much more responsive Windows is with an SSD is amazing. I have a 30GB SSD in my HTPC and the only thing it holds is windows just for that reason. I threw an old 120GB SSD in a 6 year old laptop and the thing now feels almost as fast as my main gaming rig.

Even as a temporary measure I'd recommend spending the $40 for a 60GB SSD to hold you over for the time being.

he is 13. he should be more than mature enough to know how much money is involved. just tell him he only gets this much money and if he thinks it's meh, then tell him he doesn't get to build a pc at all.

now, if that money is his savings, then let him burn it and watch him regret it later. and don't budge whenever he asks for money afterwards.

Agree with the top paragraph. I'm not sure I'd let my son blow that much money even if he might learn to regret it later.

With that being said, adding a closed loop water cooler shouldn't jack up the price too much and investing in an unlocked CPU is a good investment as it adds to a longer life down the road.

That might be a good middle ground. I'll be doing something similar with my son in a few years as I promised my 10 yr old I'd build him a PC when he gets his black belt. I think I'm more excited to build a PC with him than he is.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($528.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.08 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1506.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 16:10 EDT-0400

With this, HDMI, Displayport, or DL DVI cable?

No sound card (for now)
Primary audio through Megaladon headset, though wife may use monitor speakers.

harz-marz

Is the MSI considered the best GTX 970 card? If so, where is the cheapest and most reliable place in the UK to purchase (that is also doing the 2 game deal)

mkenyon

Banned
Could I get some feedback on the Newegg Twilight deals here?
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

I am still looking for a motherbaord for an office computer (I picked up a 3258 at Microcenter) and 8GB of DDR3 for that PC, or 16GB for my main gaming PC and demote the current 8 GB of DDR1600 to the office PC.

Is that $45 Gigabyte motherboard a decent deal?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...15-index-_-IntelMotherboards-_-13128687-S1A2C

And should I get this 8GB of Corsair for $55?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...050815-index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20233144-S1A6C

Is it worth bumping my current 3570k/9750 to 16GB of RAM from 8?
Both of those look decent.

If you're a heavy multitasker, then 16GB can come in handy. Especially if you use chrome with a lot of extensions.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($528.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: XFX Core Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.08 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.49 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1506.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 16:10 EDT-0400

With this, HDMI, Displayport, or DL DVI cable?

No sound card (for now)
Primary audio through Megaladon headset, though wife may use monitor speakers.
Looks good.
I am building a PC for a friend, but haven't put one together since 2009 and am kinda out of the loop with some of the newer stuff. I could use some advice on a couple components.

So far I have a gtx 970 picked out, but I'm having trouble on the CPU. All these 8 core amds and 4 or 6 core Intel's. I'm partial to Intel but that was 6 years ago and things may have changed since then.

Also like a gaffers opinion on the antec 900 case. That's what she wants for a case.

Overall the budget is about $2000 USD for the tower alone.
Is your friend a decent troubleshooter, or do you see yourself as having to take care of it? That right there kind of determines a lot of stuff. You can build it around max power, or you can build it around low-maintenance and just working really well on games.
Hey GAF

Looking to build a new SFF gaming/work pc. The smaller (and quieter) the better!

Main Use: Work and Gaming, but doesn't really have to be cutting edge. Along the lines of Dota 2, Diablo, MMOs.

Monitor Resolution: Would like to play at 1080p, with a monitor size of around 20-21"

Unlikely to overclock and would want to have the smallest and quietest possible rig since it will be in my bedroom. Also trying to avoid something that lights up a lot.

Having dual monitors for work is a must, but I dont think this will be a problem with the newer GPUs... right? Gaming will be done on one monitor.

This gets you awfully close to the budget, but is lacking a SSD. Those go on crazy sales fairly regularly, so sniping one at a good price should put you right around $800.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: EVGA Stinger WiFi Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($185.20 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $656.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 16:36 EDT-0400
Is the MSI considered the best GTX 970 card? If so, where is the cheapest and most reliable place in the UK to purchase (that is also doing the 2 game deal)
No, there's really not a huge appreciable difference between MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, and ASUS. All of them offer 3 year warranties based on serial #, which is the thing that makes them so popular as they're a lot easier to resell.
Here is the build I’m working on currently. I only got the parts yesterday, in store, from a MicroCenter. I couldn’t have things shipped around for complicated reasons, and I’ve had some challenges putting this together, so it is currently incomplete but almost done. I have zero cable management skills, so I’ll have to tinker with that. The pricing seemed pretty decent. I haven’t built a PC in 15 years, and haven’t had a computer or laptop to game with in about 5+ years. I know it’s a bit over-kill, but I figure it’s a bit future proof if down the line I want to add another GTX Titan X given the PSU is 800w.

Case Fans: 1x Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 140mm - $19.99, 2x Corsair Air Series SP140 LED White - $19.99

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110 - $139.99 (there are other sites offering it up to $30 or so cheaper:

Motherboard/CPU Combo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Socket LGA 1150 ATX - $179.99 / Intel i7 4790k $269.99

Memory: EVGA 16gb Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit DDR3-2133 2x8 modules - $99.99

Hard Drives: Samsung 850 PRO Series 256GB SATA III SSD - $159.99, WD Black 1TB - $79.99

(due to budget reasons after all of that) – Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24” 1080p 144 - $249.99

Thoughts?
Do you want honesty, or do you want people to join in on the new PC hype? :p

If the latter, looks like it should be a really fancy looking build with a lot of power. Grats on the new PC!

Smokey

Thoughts?

Spending 3k on a pc that does not have a 6 core is kind of wrong. Switch to the x99 platform and pair it with a 5820k imo.

kennah

Spending 3k on a pc that does not have a 6 core is kind of wrong. Switch to the x99 platform and pair it with a 5820k imo.
As rock needs to release that itx x99 board.

(and I need to hopefully have some money left over from my daughters dental surgery next week)

Darklor01

Interesting. Everything is read said to get the Asus Hero VII. Unfortunately, I can't return it. How much worse is what I'm setting up than what you're talking about?

I agree. An SSD for games isn't an great use of resources. But the increasive in how much more responsive Windows is with an SSD is amazing. I have a 30GB SSD in my HTPC and the only thing it holds is windows just for that reason. I threw an old 120GB SSD in a 6 year old laptop and the thing now feels almost as fast as my main gaming rig.

Even as a temporary measure I'd recommend spending the $40 for a 60GB SSD to hold you over for the time being.

If you are spending £900-1000 ($1300-1400) and over on a new PC I would urge against getting any HDD unless you need space for a huge amount of files or are the type of person that likes to have dozens of games installed on their system.

If you are building an enthusiast PC and don't need masses of storage, get an SSD for general storage and start looking at smaller(256GB), lightning fast M.2 drives or PCI-E SSDs as boot drives, as these storage devices are the future and offer tremendous speeds.

Darklor01

If the latter, looks like it should be a really fancy looking build with a lot of power. Grats on the new PC!

I was shooting for honesty. I haven't built one in so long ... Even RAM placement and processor mounting was a small task. Lol.

mkenyon

Banned
Which display cable is recommended? Displayport or HDMI?
To get 144Hz, you'll need to use DP or Dual Link DVI, HDMI will not work. One (or both) come with the monitor though.
I was shooting for honesty. I haven't built one in so long ... Even RAM placement and processor mounting was a small task. Lol.
To be totally honest, you overspent in all the wrong places. It'd be easy to knock off $500+ from that price to get the exact same performance.

Darklor01

To be totally honest, you overspent in all the wrong places. It'd be easy to knock off $500+ from that price to get the exact same performance.

For future learning, where did I go wrong?

kennah

Not checking a build in this thread first ;)

Since motherboards don't last more than a single chip, there is no point is getting a high end one anymore. The money is better spent elsewhere since there is zero performance difference between that one and one hundreds cheaper.

mkenyon

Banned
Motherboard that kind of thing is made for people to overspend on aesthetics.

Case is overkill and mostly intended for custom water loops. Almost all of the Corsair cases are bad value propositions compared to the best in the business - Fractal and Phanteks.

CPU cooler - it's designed to best be utilized on processors with far more power draw than a consumer socket 1150 proc. A Hyper 212 Evo will realistically get you to the same max performance at the same sound level.

Fans - you don't need more than what cases provide with a single GPU. If it's a good case, then you don't need any more than what the case provides period.

WiFi - you can get this on board for motherboards less expensive than the Hero. Also, WiFi generally sucks unless you have a really nice router.

PSU is insane overkill for a Titan + 1150 socket processor. Your total system draw will be in the 400-500 range, assuming you OC the 4790K to its limit.

Blu Ray Drive - They're not really needed unless you have a niche use.

SSD - Expensive 850 Pro when you could get a Crucial MX/BX drive with double the space for the same price.

Monitor choice, processor choice, and video card are all excellent though, which is the core of your performance. Realistically, the only thing you missed out on was leveraging better budgeting on appropriate parts for the X99 Platform, DDR4, and a 6 Core 5820K. That is kind of a miss, but it's unlikely you'd see much of a difference at all in any current game. It's just a better platform looking out to DX12.

So, to reiterate, you will be happy with your performance. You just spent way too much on it. That's a subjective loss, so if it's not a big hit to you, then who cares, right?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
IMHO:
If you're not going to overclock, you wasted a lot of money on the cooler, the motherboard and the CPU (and yes, you should have gone for the 6-core variant at this point). Arguably the case too, you could have bought something cheaper and you probably wouldn't have missed the 750D. For the SSD you could have gone with a Crucial MX100 and save 60$. The bluray drive is arguably useless.
You could have bought a Windows license on Reddit for 30$ (although if you're not ok with that it's ok).
60$ in fans? Really?

For the Titan X, it's a matter of points of view.

To get 144Hz, you'll need to use DP or Dual Link DVI, HDMI will not work. One (or both) come with the monitor though.

I may have missed it but didn't see any cables with the monitor.

DP it is then since it'll be a bit before I put in a sound card and external speakers.

mkenyon

Banned
That all said. It's a hell of a machine that should last you 4 years easily
Yep, this.
I may have missed it but didn't see any cables with the monitor.
Mine definitely came with a Dual Link DVI cable.

*edit*

Yeah, newegg shows it as part of the box contents:

wqm2wD1.png

Smokey

Interesting. Everything is read said to get the Asus Hero VII. Unfortunately, I can't return it. How much worse is what I'm setting up than what you're talking about?

See below for more detailed explanation:

Motherboard that kind of thing is made for people to overspend on aesthetics.

Case is overkill and mostly intended for custom water loops. Almost all of the Corsair cases are bad value propositions compared to the best in the business - Fractal and Phanteks.

CPU cooler - it's designed to best be utilized on processors with far more power draw than a consumer socket 1150 proc. A Hyper 212 Evo will realistically get you to the same max performance at the same sound level.

Fans - you don't need more than what cases provide with a single GPU. If it's a good case, then you don't need any more than what the case provides period.

WiFi - you can get this on board for motherboards less expensive than the Hero. Also, WiFi generally sucks unless you have a really nice router.

PSU is insane overkill for a Titan + 1150 socket processor. Your total system draw will be in the 400-500 range, assuming you OC the 4790K to its limit.

Blu Ray Drive - They're not really needed unless you have a niche use.

SSD - Expensive 850 Pro when you could get a Crucial MX/BX drive with double the space for the same price.

Monitor choice, processor choice, and video card are all excellent though, which is the core of your performance. Realistically, the only thing you missed out on was leveraging better budgeting on appropriate parts for the X99 Platform, DDR4, and a 6 Core 5820K. That is kind of a miss, but it's unlikely you'd see much of a difference at all in any current game. It's just a better platform looking out to DX12.

So, to reiterate, you will be happy with your performance. You just spent way too much on it. That's a subjective loss, so if it's not a big hit to you, then who cares, right?

You overspent for the end result, but your machine is still pretty amazing. Why can't you take the mobo and proc back?

Idba

Hey GAF

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($203.98 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($24.15 @ NCIX US)
Total: $754.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-08 17:53 EDT-0400

Darklor01

IMHO:
If you're not going to overclock, you wasted a lot of money on the cooler, the motherboard and the CPU (and yes, you should have gone for the 6-core variant at this point). Arguably the case too, you could have bought something cheaper and you probably wouldn't have missed the 750D. For the SSD you could have gone with a Crucial MX100 and save 60$. The bluray drive is arguably useless.
You could have bought a Windows license on Reddit for 30$ (although if you're not ok with that it's ok).
60$ in fans? Really?

For the Titan X, it's a matter of points of view.

I wanted the Titan X for future planning. So thinking down the road I might want to SLI them, I went with the 850. Everything else, well, a really appreciate the advice. In the future I think I will be more attentive to the advice of you guys who all know more than I do. On the upside, I bought that Adus monitor you guys are referencing. Should I connect to it using the HDMI from the Titan or... Something else?

Smokey

I wanted the Titan X for future planning. So thinking down the road I might want to SLI them, I went with the 850. Everything else, well, a really appreciate the advice. In the future I think I will be more attentive to the advice of you guys who all know more than I do. On the upside, I bought that Adus monitor you guys are referencing. Should I connect to it using the HDMI from the Titan or... Something else?

DisplayPort cable that comes with the monitor.

Regarding SLI...it's generally better to get a second card relatively close to the purchase of the first. By the time you get around to buying a second card, the successor will most likely be on it's way with better efficiency, technology, etc.

Darklor01

DisplayPort cable that comes with the monitor.

Regarding SLI...it's generally better to get a second card relatively close to the purchase of the first. By the time you get around to buying a second card, the successor will most likely be on it's way with better efficiency, technology, etc.

Thanks. One more question. Should I master/slave the SSD AND HDD or connect them separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom