• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, you get what you pay for.

not really sure what this means since most 970's are pretty closely priced. This is just a little bit cheaper. For example an MSI is only like 15 dollars more

For $15 more (after rebate), you can get an EVGA http://slickdeals.net/f/7846243-evg...-witcher-3-backplate-314-ar-free-shipping?v=1

Not sure how good it is, but a lot of people can chime in since EVGA cards are pretty common.

thanks, but im trying to stick to amazon...i have a shitload of gift cards there.

NeOak

Thanks. One more question. Should I master/slave the SSD AND HDD or connect them separately?

98b39b21ff008afaa5cba1e79fc611b2ddb64b3f44f57e792397c517768f4433.jpg

Doesn't matter with SATA. Just make sure to plug in the SSD in a SATA 6Gb port

Also, make sure your motherboard is in SATA and not IDE mode before your OS install. I've had two that were set to IDE for some strange reason. I didn't notice it the first time and had issues with an SSD, they don't like IDE mode. (At least my Intel 530 series doesn't)

RGM79

Hey Gaf, after my finals next week, I'm hoping to wipe out my pc and do a windows fresh install. I have a Windows 8.0 OEM disc which I bought when I built my pc in 2013 (thank Gaf for the part picks, my pc is still working in ship shape!).

What's the best way to go about fresh installing it? Is it possible to download the 8.1 update beforehand and install together with 8.0 disc from start?

While I was reading up about it, I read articles and comments that said something about the OEM version being tied to your motherboard, and that you can only reinstall that copy on it, is this really true?

Not that it matters to me right now since I'm not upgrading my pc just yet, just getting rid of all research documents and other school stuff that I scattered on my ssd. But at least I'd keep that in mind when I do decide to upgrade it.

You cannot download the Windows 8.1 update beforehand and install it at the same time. However, there are workarounds to download Windows 8.1 ISO instead and install that, then activate with a Windows 8.0 key. Refer to this guide for more details, I assume the methods it mentions still work.

Don't worry about Windows OEM being tied to the motherboard. That's not applicable in your case because you have a custom PC. If you have a prebuilt OEM computer from major companies such as HP or Dell, then Windows activation is automatically tied to the motherboard.

Hey guys just a short question. Which 970 is better and should I order ?

This card: EVGA Superclocked 2.0
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-04gp42974kr

or the Gigabyte Winforce 970
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn970wf3oc4gd

The Windforce is a larger card but has a more effective and louder cooler. Performance-wise the EVGA is slightly faster, but they're not that far apart.

Are you ordering online or are you looking at local store prices?

Not sure what's going on, but it still refuses to tell me the cost even when I add it to cart.

Thanks. One more question. Should I master/slave the SSD AND HDD or connect them separately?

Oh no no no no no, that is out of date and no longer used.

The politically correct technicaly incorrect terminology is client/server
, not master/slave.

Hey all, question about the 970 graphics card - I've heard from several people and read a few articles on how the nVidia 970 card was falsely-advertised and not as good as its supposed to be.

Is that true, or should I stretch my budget to a 980?

I'm aiming for a build around $1300-1500

Edit: I haven't bought new pc parts for 4 years - I have an i7-2600k and GTX 560 :D - Really want to upgrade and nows the best time!

kennah

Hey all, question about the 970 graphics card - I've heard from several people and read a few articles on how the nVidia 970 card was falsely-advertised and not as good as its supposed to be.

Edit: I haven't bought new pc parts for 4 years - I have an i7-2600k and GTX 560 :D - Really want to upgrade and nows the best time!
Keep your cpu and get a 980 (though the 970 issue is overblown at 1080p).

Edit. If you really want an upgrade you will feel. SSD if you don't have one and a g-sync monitor.

Engell

The 970 didn't suddenly become worse overnight just because someone found out something about the last 500mb of the 4gb RAM runs slower. All benchmarks done and reviews written are still 100% valid.. yes it would have been a better card if all of the 4gb was full speed. But its still an awesome card for that price and you can even go above 1080p and have an awesome 60fps+ experience.
I would not recommend the card for SLI because of its memory limitations but i would almost say the same for the 980.

But new gfx cards should come out of the woodwork during the next month, so maybe wait a little?

Picked up a DP cable from Amazon. Shipping wasn't bad on it, so did the 2-Day option, leaving me on track for building on Tuesday.

Now just have to go on Reddit and look into Windows 8.1 (and maybe office).

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Oh man. Dat nostalgia feel.

Finally having it up and running without hassle now that I got everything installed feels great. So, yeah, dat nostalgia feel is great. Plugged in a controller and have the mouse keyboard again feels amazing. Next time though, I'll look for GAF advice on the build to save money. Thanks to those who gave advice. PCs were much different in 2004. You should have seen them in 1984 when I first started with this stuff.

Xena

You cannot download the Windows 8.1 update beforehand and install it at the same time. However, there are workarounds to download Windows 8.1 ISO instead and install that, then activate with a Windows 8.0 key. Refer to this guide for more details, I assume the methods it mentions still work.

Don't worry about Windows OEM being tied to the motherboard. That's not applicable in your case because you have a custom PC. If you have a prebuilt OEM computer from major companies such as HP or Dell, then Windows activation is automatically tied to the motherboard.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try the ISO method and see how it goes, if it doesn't work then I'll just go the normal route. The only reason I really wanted 8.1 straight was because when I did upgrade from 8.0, it created a mess of folders that I had no clue about. It's like it set me up a new user within the main user account I had, so then when I look in the folders, it's like I have two "desktops". But one of them doesn't update with icons and such when I install games and such. I don't know how to explain well. Not to mention it had my email exposed every time I'd login on my pc, instead of the username I had. It took me a while to figure out how to get rid of that and go back to my old user name.

And thanks for clarifying about the OEM! I know OEM's are cheaper, but not THAT cheaper (at least not the one I got from newegg which you guys directed me back in the day)

Ok, hopefully this is the last big thing I have to ask before I give evidence of a successful build this week.

I purchased a key for Windows 8.1 via reddit. I'll be downloading via my Macbook, get it on the USB drive, and then that drive to the newborn PC where it will hopefully boot up the OS and bring the rig operational.

Will the windows usb installer and ISO work fine with the macbook to get into the USB (and function like they should when it comes time for the fat lady to sing), or is there any extra curves that'll be thrown my way I'll need to deal with? I remember seeing something about maybe utilizing Bootcamp, but I guess I just need it laid out plain.

Thanks in advance for whatever help.

RGM79

Guys I need some PSU advice...

This is the PSU I have:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w...m-quiet-fan-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-atx-v23-psu

I'm thinking about getting 2 gtx 980's for SLI as I've found a good deal on them - will this PSU be ok?

Other components are an i5 3570k @ 4.6 ghz, 16gb ram (2 modules), 1 ssd and 2 7200rpm HDD's.

Yes, that 750 watt power supply should be just fine. That power supply you have is quite good, it's actually made by Seasonic and received numerous positive reviews.
iolkql8.jpg

Each GTX 980 will draw a bit less than 200 watts each, so there's plenty of wattage left for your overclocked processor and the rest of your parts. Guru3D does recommend a power supply in the 700~800 watt range, so you're all set there.

Ok, hopefully this is the last big thing I have to ask before I give evidence of a successful build this week.

I purchased a key for Windows 8.1 via reddit. I'll be downloading via my Macbook, get it on the USB drive, and then that drive to the newborn PC where it will hopefully boot up the OS and bring the rig operational.

Will the windows usb installer and ISO work fine with the macbook to get into the USB (and function like they should when it comes time for the fat lady to sing), or is there any extra curves that'll be thrown my way I'll need to deal with? I remember seeing something about maybe utilizing Bootcamp, but I guess I just need it laid out plain.

Thanks in advance for whatever help.

I'm not really familiar with Bootcamp, but apparently that program will let you make a Windows 8.1 installer and put it on a USB drive for you.

I think these instructions are the right ones.

MNC

I'm torn. I don't know which GTX 970 I want. My mind says MSI for its bang for buck value, but my prior experience with MSI (laptops) is that they run really, really hot ergo MSI is not very good with cooling. I don't think I want the Asus because it feels like the runt of the litter with slowest clock (but good cooling)

Engell

I'm torn. I don't know which GTX 970 I want. My mind says MSI for its bang for buck value, but my prior experience with MSI (laptops) is that they run really, really hot ergo MSI is not very good with cooling. I don't think I want the Asus because it feels like the runt of the litter with slowest clock (but good cooling)

MSI has one of the best cooling solutions when it comes to custom 970s.. only thing is that its not compatible with hard SLI bridges, but who cares.
There is a Red, Green, Golden and blue version. Go for the Red or the Green, the golden is overkill. The Green is basically the same as the Red but has a backplate and green leds. Core clock should be 1140Mhz. but should OC much higher.

Thorgal

So recently ive been getting the urge to join the modern age and get myself an SSD .

What is the opinion on the Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 500GB ?

I can get it for 249 € ($ 280,56 ) this month .

Worth it ?

additionally i finally am thinking about ditching my old non overclockable i7 3770 to something modern and that is overclockable .

I get more and more the impression that it is holding my PC back .

Any suggestions ?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So recently ive been getting the urge to join the modern age and get myself an SSD .

Worth it ?

additionally i finally am thinking about ditching my old non overclockable i7 3770 to something modern and that is overclockable .

Any suggestions ?

What do you use your PC for?

HooYaH

Worth it ?

Any suggestions ?

Just get the SSD and then say to yourself, "I should have done this earlier."

Engell

Worth it ?

Any suggestions ?

The 850Evo is a good drive and the software with Rapid tech is very stable and fast.

Don't worry about your CPU, its still fine for games.. if you use your system for other things like video encoding then maybe upgrade(X99). but SSD, min16gb RAM, GFX, Sync screen, would get more attention from me than changing this CPU. When you get the SSD make a fresh install of windows, it will be like you got a whole new machine. An SSD makes such a BIG difference, i almost become suicidal now when i have to work on a machine with a standard drive.

RGM79

Laptop design and VGA cooler design are not the same and were probably designed by different teams of engineers. I'd look at professional reviews of various GTX 970 models for thermal testing results, but I can say that you should be happy with most GTX 970 models, there aren't any models that currently have cooling issues.

If cooling performance is a high priority, I'd look at the Gigabyte triple-fan Windforce models. There's nothing wrong with the twin fan models that Asus, EVGA, and MSI produce, though.

Worth it ?

Any suggestions ?

What country are you in? I don't know where you are so that may affect market pricing, but geizhals.de lists the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB model at 182,50 €.

As for your processor, the i7 3770 should still be decent, is there a reason why that you feel it is inadequate? It may not be overclockable, but it is not a bottleneck for today's games, not by a long shot. Performance-wise, your i7 3770 is only ~5% behind the current generation i7 4790K when compared at stock clock speed. Your i7 3770 is nearly identical to the i7 3770K, so it is a valid comparison.

Unfortunately, your socket 1155 motherboard is of an older incompatible generation and will not accept the latest Intel processors. If you could find the overclockable i7 3770K then that would be nice as you can reuse your existing motherboard to save costs. That said, it's a bit foolish to pay money for nearly the same processor just for the overclocking feature, unless you were able to sell your i7 3770 to make up for the costs. On the other hand, replacing your existing motherboard and processor for the i7 4790K and Z97 motherboard would cost several hundred euros more for a ~5% improvement, unless you were also going to purchase a decent cooler and overclock it. It's hard to justify spending that much money on a minimal improvement.

Thorgal

What do you use your PC for?

Mostly gaming for me

Just get the SSD and then say to yourself, "I should have done this earlier."

The 850Evo is a good drive and the software with Rapid tech is very stable and fast.

Don't worry about your CPU, its still fine for games.. if you use your system for other things like video encoding then maybe upgrade(X99). but SSD, min16gb RAM, GFX, Sync screen, would get more attention from me than changing this CPU. When you get the SSD make a fresh install of windows, it will be like you got a whole new machine.

thanks for the advice .

I got a 780 ti 3GB classified and 16 GIGS of ram so on that front i am covered for a while yet .

About the CPU , i do think it starts to suffer with CPU intensive games though .

H4r4kiri

The Windforce is a larger card but has a more effective and louder cooler. Performance-wise the EVGA is slightly faster, but they're not that far apart.

Are you ordering online or are you looking at local store prices?

Thanks for the answer. We just ordered the G1, because the EVGA was not on order until a week. :)

Thorgal

Laptop design and VGA cooler design are not the same and were probably designed by different teams of engineers. I'd look at professional reviews of various GTX 970 models for thermal testing results, but I can say that you should be happy with most GTX 970 models, there aren't any models that currently have cooling issues.

If cooling performance is a high priority, I'd look at the Gigabyte triple-fan Windforce models. There's nothing wrong with the twin fan models that Asus, EVGA, and MSI produce, though.

What country are you in? I don't know where you are so that may affect market pricing, but geizhals.de lists the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB model at 182,50 €.

As for your processor, the i7 3770 should still be decent, is there a reason why that you feel it is inadequate? It may not be overclockable, but it is not a bottleneck for today's games, not by a long shot. Performance-wise, your i7 3770 is only ~5% behind the current generation i7 4790K when compared at stock clock speed. Your i7 3770 is nearly identical to the i7 3770K, so it is a valid comparison.

Unfortunately, your socket 1155 motherboard is of an older incompatible generation and will not accept the latest Intel processors. If you could find the overclockable i7 3770K then that would be nice as you can reuse your existing motherboard to save costs. That said, it's a bit foolish to pay money for nearly the same processor just for the overclocking feature, unless you were able to sell your i7 3770 to make up for the costs. On the other hand, replacing your existing motherboard and processor for the i7 4790K and Z97 motherboard would cost several hundred euros more for a ~5% improvement, unless you were also going to purchase a decent cooler and overclock it. It's hard to justify spending that much money on a minimal improvement.

yeah , when you put it like that , a new CPU seems a waste of money right now .

Oh also , i am from Belgium .

Engell

Only thing i would add to this is that the 970GTX doesn't really need the cooling performance of a triple fan setup at all.. therefore i would always recommend to go with the more silent design.
but ofc if the PC is already a noise generator then it wont make a big difference

Kind of odd, but maybe someone has some advice here.

My 7870 HD used to run at 30C idle. Now I've replaced it with an Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X, and that runs at 55-60C idle. Under load, it never goes above 70C.

What the hell is the problem?

RGM79

My 7870 HD used to run at 30C idle. Now I've replaced it with an Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X, and that runs at 55-60C idle. Under load, it never goes above 70C.

What program are you using to monitor the graphics card? Does manually changing fan speed make any difference?

Engell

I'm pretty sure this is just due to different fan control options. Remember most cards today doesn't even spin the fans before 60c. But the 290x probably wont get cold enough to actually turn of the fans. GFX cards are designed to get much hotter so you shouldn't be worried about a 55-60c idle temp if load temps are looking good. So this is not a problem but a feature in modern gfx cards to keep noise down during idle.

but maybe download GPUZ or afterburner to see what is going on

What program are you using to monitor the graphics card? Does manually changing fan speed make any difference?

Using CCC to change fan speeds and monitor temperature. I've currently got them going at 40% on idle, and it handles turning them up for games.

I'll check out programs that the other poster suggested.

EDIT: Ha, MSI Afterburner says I'm getting 35C idle.

Engell

just looked at some reviews for your card, and maybe there is a problem most sites list idle at around 40c, but this could also be because they have it in an open test bench. download some temp monitor software and keep an eye on what is happening and if the card is throttling under heavy loads

SpyGuy239

Question about G-Sync

Googled around but cannot find a straight answer. Will G-sync work with multiple monitors, if it does do all monitors have to have g-sync or can I have 1 main g-sync monitor with 2 normal ones either side?

Such that when I play games, with only the middle screen G-Sync is up and running for that monitor and game?

Thanks!

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, that 750 watt power supply should be just fine. That power supply you have is quite good, it's actually made by Seasonic and received numerous positive reviews.
iolkql8.jpg

Each GTX 980 will draw a bit less than 200 watts each, so there's plenty of wattage left for your overclocked processor and the rest of your parts. Guru3D does recommend a power supply in the 700~800 watt range, so you're all set there.

I'm not really familiar with Bootcamp, but apparently that program will let you make a Windows 8.1 installer and put it on a USB drive for you.

I think these instructions are the right ones.

Perfect, thanks.

Now to decide whether to jump ahead and get the 980's or a single titan x.

I'm swaying towards the 980's purely because of the fact that I'll get 2 sets of free batman/witcher codes. I can sell one of each and that brings the cost down even further...

Opinons?

I'm not going via PC Part picker, but have ordered a custom build via finance, which I'm then paying off when my house sale completes at the end of this month.

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache

Case
CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE

Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS VII HERO: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB3.0

Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)

Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
Free Item: FREE BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!

Free Item: FREE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT Game with Select GTX 9 Series GPUs!

2nd Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready

1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (£109)

Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i GT Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£69

I have another few HDDs I'll be sticking inside this thing.

Was so hard to come to a decision, but I'm about to go for it.

I was looking at benchmarks for fun, and damn at how big of a jump in gpu performance we've had, even with the same node, the tech-stagnation, whatsoever...

A gtx 970 performes more or less like my Titan (at stock). I'm feeling the urge to upgrade, even if I really don't need it.

Since I'm using a g-sync monitor I have to go with nvidia, but I want to wait and see if the 980ti delivers, and what AMD brings to the table.

But I so damn want a Titan X...Then again, with VR round the corner, it's better to just wait a little longer.

Engell

Question about G-Sync

Googled around but cannot find a straight answer. Will G-sync work with multiple monitors, if it does do all monitors have to have g-sync or can I have 1 main g-sync monitor with 2 normal ones either side?

Such that when I play games, with only the middle screen G-Sync is up and running for that monitor and game?

Thanks!

i don't have one myself, but yes this should work

i actually have another question to people who have a g-sync screen, how is it behaving with movies/video content etc in both window(assume this wont work) and full screen. does it sync to 24 fps?
personally i am waiting for the Acer 21:9 34" gsync/freesync screen(or something similar)
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync.html

i don't have one myself, but yes this should work

i actually have another question to people who have a g-sync screens, how is it behaving with movies/video content etc in both window and fullscreen. does it sync to 24fps??

Multi-monitor works as one would imagine: g-sync where it's available (I used to have a two-monitor setup with my ROG and another monitor).

As for movies, it should work as intended no matter how you display content; I've never noticed anything strange, but I've never confirmed if 24fps is working properly either, as I use another display for that kind of content.

mhayze

Question about G-Sync

Thanks!

I have a ROG Swift and an IPS monitor (60hz), and it works fine, as you'd expect. When the game is playing I see the game with G-sync enabled on my primary (The LED on the SWIFT confirms it), and depending on the game, either my desktop or a blank screen on the second. If you're asking about playing with surround enabled, I don't know the answer, since it doesn't make sense with 2 monitors. My understanding is that surround is rendered as a single frame and then split across three monitors, so although the G-sync could be running, you'd be frame rate locked on all 3 to the same game setting/output. I don't like bezels, so my next upgrade will probably be a 40" 4K screen, which is like 4 x 1080p screens. Only thing stopping me now is lack of high frame rate (i.e. 120hz) support.

Even within windows, the 120hz on the primary and 60hz on the secondary works fine and is easy to notice/test. Hope that helps.

I was wondering if I should bother updating the BIOS. Here's the link to the versions . In particular, considering I'll be using a i5-4690k, I'd imagine the only benefit would be the "Improved SSD Perfromance". The mobo also has Dual-BIOS, so it should be risk-free, but if it's not needed I guess I should just avoid it, right?
Also, I need to download both "Intel INF installation" and "Intel Management Engine Interface" right? They're both under Chipset so I'd imagine both are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom