• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phloxy

Quick question, I recently did a brand new build and I still have an Evga 770 2 gig laying around. Is it worth using this as a physx card paired along with my Titan X? I like using that if I can, I'm just not sure if there is a benefit or not with a card like a Titan.

Syncytia

I'll be moving to Europe pretty soon from the US and was thinking of bringing my 970 and ssd. Should be fine right? I'm going to leave the rest and just put in a cheap gpu since it will still be used from time to time while I'm gone.

Also, perhaps more importantly, what exactly happens with all my steam games when I'm suddenly in a different region? I suppose my account will stay a US account though if they don't force me to change it.

The Llama

I'll be moving to Europe pretty soon from the US and was thinking of bringing my 970 and ssd. Should be fine right? I'm going to leave the rest and just put in a cheap gpu since it will still be used from time to time while I'm gone.

Also, perhaps more importantly, what exactly happens with all my steam games when I'm suddenly in a different region? I suppose my account will stay a US account though if they don't force me to change it.

You mean just those parts? You'll be fine. If you were to bring the whole computer, you might need a new power supply (not 100% sure how that works tbh).

And yeah your games will be fine. The only problem is if you go to a country like Russia, buy games there, then try to move back to the US. Then they might flag your account for review or something (but you can also fix that through customer service).

GHG

Gold Member

Nothing happens with steam. Your account will stay as a US account and your purchases will still be in USD provided you keep using your US credit/debit card.

As for taking your stuff with just make sure your wrap it in plenty of antistatic bubble wrap.

Quick question, I recently did a brand new build and I still have an Evga 770 2 gig laying around. Is it worth using this as a physx card paired along with my Titan X? I like using that if I can, I'm just not sure if there is a benefit or not with a card like a Titan.

Modern gpus will handle physx better than your old dedicated card anyway, or the benefit/costs in terms of heat/power consumption won't be worth the hassle.

Especially with a Titan X.

Hey GAF, are RAM prices likely to fall anytime soon?
Was specifically looking at this 16GB hyperX RAM as it's sub £90 and I haven't seen that happen in a while.
Been trying to convince myself to move up from 8 to 16 for ages now as I do a lot of editing in Premiere.
Also, would those^ sticks be compatible with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo? I assume so? Thanks!

RGM79

I was wondering if I should bother updating the BIOS. Here's the link to the versions . In particular, considering I'll be using a i5-4690k, I'd imagine the only benefit would be the "Improved SSD Perfromance". The mobo also has Dual-BIOS, so it should be risk-free, but if it's not needed I guess I should just avoid it, right?
Also, I need to download both "Intel INF installation" and "Intel Management Engine Interface" right? They're both under Chipset so I'd imagine both are needed.

Improved performance sounds useful. If you have dual BIOS then it's fairly safe. Make sure to update the BIOS from the non-Windows methods. Sometimes things can interfere with the Windows-based BIOS flashers.

Yes, you will probably need both of those drivers.

Is your power supply strong enough to handle all of that? It might not as intensive as SLI, but I'd imagine you'd want maybe 750 watts or even more for something like that.

I don't know about the benefits of PhysX so I can't personally recommend it or not. It sounds like it could be a hassle to set up or be a strain on your power supply.

Hey GAF, are RAM prices likely to fall anytime soon?
Was specifically looking at this 16GB hyperX RAM as it's sub £90 and I haven't seen that happen in a while.
Been trying to convince myself to move up from 8 to 16 for ages now as I do a lot of editing in Premiere.
Also, would those^ sticks be compatible with an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo? I assume so? Thanks!

A few people were posting about that just on the previous page. Seems like a nice deal. They should be compatible with your motherboard, I don't really see any reason why they shouldn't be.

Improved performance sounds useful. If you have dual BIOS then it's fairly safe. Make sure to update the BIOS from the non-Windows methods. Sometimes things can interfere with the Windows-based BIOS flashers.
Thanks for the answer. That's what I was thinking as well. I'll do that after the first in-case boot, so that I won't waste time setting things up to have them deleted a bit later.

Level with me, Gaf. Is a 980 a worthwhile upgrade from an R9 290? The logical part of me says no, but the stupid part of me says yes.

For reference, my rig:
R9 290
i7 4790 (not overclocked)
8GB RAM
650w Power
ASUS B85M LGA 1150 mATX motherboard

Level with me, Gaf. Is a 980 a worthwhile upgrade from an R9 290? The logical part of me says no, but the stupid part of me says yes.

For reference, my rig:
R9 290
i7 4790 (not overclocked)
8GB RAM
650w Power
ASUS B85M LGA 1150 mATX motherboard

no... if you want to upgrade at least wait for the new gpus to pop up. IMO.

Askia47

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build a new PC now that my 2009 Gaf Build is starting to falter. My current GPU is an overclocked R4890.

I plan to use this for Gaming and Photoshop/ Illustrator. I wanted to make sure I'm building a strong rig that will last me a few years.

PC Part Picker Link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B2TQ99
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage/SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

I bought a Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Case a few months ago.

Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, I'm looking to build a new PC now that my 2009 Gaf Build is starting to falter. My current GPU is an overclocked R4890.

I plan to use this for Gaming and Photoshop/ Illustrator. I wanted to make sure I'm building a strong rig that will last me a few years.

PC Part Picker Link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B2TQ99
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage/SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

I bought a Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Case a few months ago.

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($113.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($214.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1275.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-09 16:02 EDT-0400

The Green drive is not good, and expensive. The Toshiba I picked will offer better performance at a cheaper price.

Do you really have to have the DVD drive? Otherwise everything can do with an USB nowadays.

The OS can be bought for cheap from Reddit, or if you can wait, you can upgrade to W10 this year. Add it back if you want though.

I switched for a slightly cheaper but still very good PSU also.

Otherwise, it's good.

DagsJT

Currently got a GTX 680 and considering upgrading to a 970 as it seems a decent price at around £270. Is it worth getting now or waiting for the new cards, whenever they're due?

Noirulus

Hey guys,

Your Current Specs: CPU: Athlon II X2 245 / RAM: 2GB DDR2 / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H/ GPU (Graphics): Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT / PSU (Power Supply): Some crappy one / Case: Crappy COMPAQ case / HDD (Hard Drive): 200GB (lol)

So as you can see, current PC is kinda very outdated.

Budget: 700 - 1000 taxes and shipping included. Canada. I'm still a student, so I'd prefer it to be as cheap as possible while still being a powerful computer!

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 3.5 probably. Main use is programming/Running VirtualBox concurrently with a Windows OS. Gaming here and there in 60FPS would be fantastic.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p preferred but I can live with 720p as well. I have a monitor for now although I would like to upgrade that.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60FPS on high settings for something like Witcher 3.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Just a kb+mouse, and a monitor (for now, I want to get a new one later.)

When will you build?: In a month-ish time.

Will you be overclocking?: No

I just... finally want a good Desktop. It's been far too long. Someone please help me (Btw, I live in Canada)

Jupiter

So, a co-worker asked me to build her a PC for her daughter. Says it will be used for school work. I was looking at the budget build. Do I need the graphics card at all in this situation?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So, a co-worker asked me to build her a PC for her daughter. Says it will be used for school work. I was looking at the budget build. Do I need the graphics card at all in this situation?

Nope, you can go for the cheapest stuff really.

Looking to replace the hdd of my dell studio 1555 laptop. Looking at 128 GB SSD. any brands I should be in the lookout for?

I'm partial to Crucial. I got an MX100 and it's been a great drive at a great price. I would look at the MX200 or 100 (I don't know what's different, came out after I got my drive).

riflen

i don't have one myself, but yes this should work

i actually have another question to people who have a g-sync screen, how is it behaving with movies/video content etc in both window(assume this wont work) and full screen. does it sync to 24 fps?
personally i am waiting for the Acer 21:9 34" gsync/freesync screen(or something similar)
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync.html

G-Sync only operates in full-screen mode. It appears enabled when you're just using your OS, but I don't think it's actually functioning. You're just using the Windows compositor, as with standard monitors.

G-Sync behaves differently when above or below 30 Hz / fps. At 30 or above, the panel matches its refresh with the frame rate. Below 30, the G-Sync module duplicates frames.
As an example; at 29 fps, the panel is refreshing at 58 Hz with each unique frame repeated once. At 20 fps, each frame is tripled to match a 60 Hz refresh and at 15 fps, the frames are quadrupled to match a 60 Hz refresh.
This helps keep things in sync (to prevent tearing and judder), even at very low frame rates. I imagine it's not plausible for panels to refresh at rates below 30 without serious artifacting.

So, to answer your question about video. Firstly, you must be playing it back in full-screen mode. I've found most players do not use a true full-screen mode, G-Sync doesn't actually operate and you get the same results as any normal monitor.
If your player does use an exclusive full-screen mode and you're watching a video at 24 fps, I believe the panel refreshes at 48 Hz.

Askia47

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($113.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($214.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1275.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-09 16:02 EDT-0400

The Green drive is not good, and expensive. The Toshiba I picked will offer better performance at a cheaper price.

Do you really have to have the DVD drive? Otherwise everything can do with an USB nowadays.

The OS can be bought for cheap from Reddit, or if you can wait, you can upgrade to W10 this year. Add it back if you want though.

I switched for a slightly cheaper but still very good PSU also.

Otherwise, it's good.

Thanks for the recommendations! I still use a DVD drive frequently, so having one in the the new build is important.

How do you buy an OS off Reddit?

rtcn63

Looking to replace the hdd of my dell studio 1555 laptop. Looking at 128 GB SSD. any brands I should be in the lookout for?

128GB is on the low side, particularly if you do AAA gaming. I'd shoot for ~256GB at least, for the sake of longevity. And yeah, I second Crucial, mine's still working after two years. And they get discounted pretty regularly.

EDIT: The 1555 looks to be real old, I'm guessing it's not meant for gaming. My bad.

So I had to RMA my GTX 780 earlier this week. I've installed/reinstalled component hardware for years(not that it is hard) and all of a sudden after installing the same card model that was given to me from EVGA my ethernet no longer works. I switched cables to a known good/working one and it doesn't fix the problem.

I went into device manager and lo and behold my Intel Ethernet Connection 1217-V is no longer working. I've been googling for the better part of an hour and no luck really. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and no luck. Put my old card back in and no change. So I'm not sure if me changing the hardware is actually the issue as it seems it is just coincidence that immediately after changing my GPU my internet stops working.

I'm getting pretty frustrated and am not sure which direction to go in. Any advice?

komplanen

So I had to RMA my GTX 780 earlier this week. I've installed/reinstalled component hardware for years(not that it is hard) and all of a sudden after installing the same card model that was given to me from EVGA my ethernet no longer works. I switched cables to a known good/working one and it doesn't fix the problem.

I went into device manager and lo and behold my Intel Ethernet Connection 1217-V is no longer working. I've been googling for the better part of an hour and no luck really. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers multiple times and no luck. Put my old card back in and no change. So I'm not sure if me changing the hardware is actually the issue as it seems it is just coincidence that immediately after changing my GPU my internet stops working.

I'm getting pretty frustrated and am not sure which direction to go in. Any advice?

Download a modern Linux that runs off a USB stick, boot from it and see if the network works on that. Ubuntu has pretty good support and should work out-of-the-box with an Intel Ethernet chip.

Unetbootin makes bootable USB sticks real piece of cake.

This way you'll eliminate software issues from hardware issues.

Download a modern Linux that runs off a USB stick, boot from it and see if the network works on that. Ubuntu has pretty good support and should work out-of-the-box with an Intel Ethernet chip.

Unetbootin makes bootable USB sticks real piece of cake.

This way you'll eliminate software issues from hardware issues.

I left my flash drives at work. Would this work from a USB hard drive just fine too?

Currently got a GTX 680 and considering upgrading to a 970 as it seems a decent price at around £270. Is it worth getting now or waiting for the new cards, whenever they're due?

All you need to do is wait 4 weeks and you'll have a lot more to choose from.

Aside from the flagship 390 and 390X with HBM, AMD is refreshing the whole R9-range like the 270 and 280 with a new 370, 380 and so on as these were leaked recently. These cards, whilst only refreshes, should offer smaller performance gains over their years old brothers and likely run more efficiently, cooler and more quietly too.

The new line from AMD dropping should also make NV cut the price of the 970. So...just wait a little

It should but you'd need an empty one as far as I know. Do you have a DVD-RW and empty discs? You can also burn a live-DVD

Don't have a disc drive. Looks like I may be waiting till monday to get my flashdrive. Hopefully that'll help. I just don't understand why my network adapter would turn itself on and not let me get it going again after a GPU install.

If your USB drive is large enough, you can just copy it to the same USB drive after you load the Windows installer onto it.

8GB USB. I do have some extras around, but not sure what's all on them or their size given they're 5 years old (College). Not to mention the shape their in as they haven't been cared for well lately with the move.

FtsH

Is it worth to buy a 3D monitor at this time? I have never owned a 3D monitor or TV....just want to try one for fun. If so, could you guys recommend some models?

yami4ct

Is it worth to buy a 3D monitor at this time? I have never owned a 3D monitor or TV....just want to try one for fun. If so, could you guys recommend some models?

I don't really think it's worth it, at least not just for 3D support. Not sure what models are out there, but 3D support for games just isn't there and probably isn't going to be. Maybe there's some weird mods that change it, but not sure those will work that well. VR could drive more support just as a side effect, but I doubt it. I currently have a 3D TV (Just a feature that came on the model I bought). It's neat, but nothing uses it that well.

If you want to buy a new monitor, I suggest buying for G-Sync or just purely based on picture quality.

Noirulus

Hey guys,

Your Current Specs: CPU: Athlon II X2 245 / RAM: 2GB DDR2 / Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H/ GPU (Graphics): Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT / PSU (Power Supply): Some crappy one / Case: Crappy COMPAQ case / HDD (Hard Drive): 200GB (lol)

So as you can see, current PC is kinda very outdated.

Budget: 700 - 1000 taxes and shipping included. Canada. I'm still a student, so I'd prefer it to be as cheap as possible while still being a powerful computer!

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 3.5 probably. Main use is programming/Running VirtualBox concurrently with a Windows OS. Gaming here and there in 60FPS would be fantastic.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p preferred but I can live with 720p as well. I have a monitor for now although I would like to upgrade that.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 60FPS on high settings for something like Witcher 3.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Just a kb+mouse, and a monitor (for now, I want to get a new one later.)

When will you build?: In a month-ish time.

Will you be overclocking?: No

I just... finally want a good Desktop. It's been far too long. Someone please help me (Btw, I live in Canada)

Can any kind Canadians help me out pls <3

FtsH

I don't really think it's worth it, at least not just for 3D support. Not sure what models are out there, but 3D support for games just isn't there and probably isn't going to be. Maybe there's some weird mods that change it, but not sure those will work that well. VR could drive more support just as a side effect, but I doubt it. I currently have a 3D TV (Just a feature that came on the model I bought). It's neat, but nothing uses it that well.

If you want to buy a new monitor, I suggest buying for G-Sync or just purely based on picture quality.

Thanks...that's what I was wondering about. I don't need a monitor now, was only thinking of 3D since I never had one. Now I can let that idea die~

RGM79

Can any kind Canadians help me out pls <3

In a month new graphics cards will be out, and maybe the new Broadwell consumer desktop processors too. Prices can also still change over a month's time, so I'd wait until a week or two before you plan to buy to ask for a parts list.

In the meantime, take this parts list as a broad guideline.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.95 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($394.99 @ NCIX)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.90 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $984.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-10 00:49 EDT-0400

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I decided to upgrade my memory - added two more sticks, same model as what I have installed already.

I installed it, turned on the PC and no video signal. Turned it off and reseated the sticks. Turn it on - no video.

I take out the new sticks, turn it on and it boots like normal. What is the issue? Is it a power issue? I thought 750 would be enough, even with two new sticks of memory.

RGM79

I decided to upgrade my memory - added two more sticks, same model as what I have installed already.

I installed it, turned on the PC and no video signal. Turned it off and reseated the sticks. Turn it on - no video.

I take out the new sticks, turn it on and it boots like normal. What is the issue? Is it a power issue? I thought 750 would be enough, even with two new sticks of memory.

It probably isn't the power supply. You'll have to perform some trial and error troubleshooting. Test each stick on its own in the working slots to see if you have bad slots, if the new RAM doesn't work then you can conclude that they're faulty.

KniL

Time to consider AMD CPUs?
It's difficult to recommend anything other than a Core i5 processor for mainstream enthusiast PC gaming. Looking at the table, you can see why - the fast single thread performance helps AMD's sub-optimal DX11 driver become more viable for enthusiast-level GPUs, while Nvidia's results go stratospheric.

But what's curious is that Nvidia's multi-threading support for its DX11 interface actually sees the FX 8350 pump through more draw calls than the i5. Also fascinating is that DX12's multi-thread support sees the vintage 2012 AMD chip trade blows with the i5 - a chip that launched two years later.

The good news doesn't end there. In typical DirectX 11 gaming, the Core i5 4690K is one of fastest reasonably priced CPUs on the market and runs rings around similarly priced FX 8350. With DX12, the gap closes significantly and the AMD chip is much more competitive - not bad considering that we're comparing a 2014 Intel processor with an AMD rival that's actually two years older.

The figures on this page strongly suggest that AMD's many-core CPU strategy could finally start to pay off. In combination with this week's announcement that its upcoming Zen architecture is 40 per cent faster, Intel may no longer be the default choice for gamers - we'll just have to see.

Eurogamer on DX 12 performance

kennah

Two years from now when directx 12 games start to be released will be the time to answer that question.

Buy for NOW. Not for "what if"

A 5 year old Core 2 Quad is not better than a current Dual Core.

Number of cores don't matter.

Sigh

Same thing every year.

Noirulus

In a month new graphics cards will be out, and maybe the new Broadwell consumer desktop processors too. Prices can also still change over a month's time, so I'd wait until a week or two before you plan to buy to ask for a parts list.

In the meantime, take this parts list as a broad guideline.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.95 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($69.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($394.99 @ NCIX)
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.90 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($56.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $984.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-10 00:49 EDT-0400

Thanks a lot dude. That actually seems like a reasonable price point for some powerful parts, but yeah I'll definitely wait a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom