• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guri

No idea. Pascal is just earmarked for a 2016 release. It's still in development so there are no promises of what quarter it will launch in.

I don't follow GPU news that much, so is there a general "rule" on when they reveal the quarter (like 6 months earlier or so) or it's completely random?

LilJoka

How good is the fan that comes with Intel CPUs? Is it quiet and "cool" enough?

It has to be cool enough otherwise it wouldnt be sold. AVX2 workloads will of course get it close to 100*c limit. And of course if you do stressfull things like video encoding it will get hot & loud, but playing games that are CPU heavy like GTA V will make the fan somewhat noisy and probably in the 60*C range. Its fine if you are under a tight budget, can always swap it later.

Engell

How good is the fan that comes with Intel CPUs? Is it quiet and "cool" enough?

It works ok if you don't OC.. usually i buy the slightly cheaper tray CPU(no cooler included) and a tower cooler.
Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is a cheap good cooler

I'm currently running a Sapphire 7950 on a 550w power supply; if I were to upgrade to say, a 970/980 in the next few months, would I be fine sticking with the same PSU? Looking at the spec lists the newer cards look they actually output less wattage but it's something I've never really got my head around in real terms.

Thanks guys!

RGM79

I'm currently running a Sapphire 7950 on a 550w power supply; if I were to upgrade to say, a 970/980 in the next few months, would I be fine sticking with the same PSU? Looking at the spec lists the newer cards look they actually output less wattage but it's something I've never really got my head around in real terms.

Thanks guys!

You'll be fine. If you were to do any CPU or GPU overclocking, then maybe you'd want a stronger power supply.

Grechy34

Evidently it looks like the next wave is so close that it would be silly not to wait. Even if you do end up going 980, the 980ti and 390 series should serve to drive prices of the 980 down a bit. Best to wait a month or two

The ever rotating door. Just bought my 980GTX. :(

I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but what is the best pre-built PC? I have a friend across the country who's in need of one and he refuses to build it himself.

I'm sure you guys get this a lot, but what is the best pre-built PC? I have a friend across the country who's in need of one and he refuses to build it himself.
I think if you buy your parts from NCIX they will build it for you for like $50. Way better than a random prebuilt.

kennah

You are giving us literally no information to go from. Country? what kind of budget? what is it going to be used for? There is no 'best'.

You are giving us literally no information to go from. Country? what kind of budget? what is it going to be used for? There is no 'best'.

America, his budget is up to $1500. I don't want to build it via NCIX because I want to be as far removed from this as possible. I don't want to be Mr. Tech Support.

mylasthope

Neo Member
You'll be fine. If you were to do any CPU or GPU overclocking, then maybe you'd want a stronger power supply.

Looking at that article, they recommend a 500w psu for a 970/980 w/o overclocking. I built my system about a year ago when the OP recommended the Seasonic G series 550w PSU. I currently have a 4670k and 780 both of which are OCed. Should I step up to a 650w psu?

RGM79

Looking at that article, they recommend a 500w psu for a 970/980 w/o overclocking. I built my system about a year ago when the OP recommended the Seasonic G series 550w PSU. I currently have a 4670k and 780 both of which are OCed. Should I step up to a 650w psu?

If you haven't had any problems with your current setup, then you should be just fine. The GTX 980 has lower power consumption than the 780, so with the newer graphics card it'll actually be somewhat less of a strain on your PSU.

T.O.P

Banned
Welp bye bye R290

immagine1slukb.jpg

I'll get a second one for a SLI setup later this year when the prices drops

So what is the best single card solution right now (or in the near future) if you want to run most things at 1080p at 120fps consistently. I currently have a 760 x2 SLI, but I rather just have a single card especially now that my sound card is forced to be sandwiched between them.

Engell

So what is the best single card solution right now (or in the near future) if you want to run most things at 1080p at 120fps consistently. I currently have a 760 x2 SLI, but I rather just have a single card especially now that my sound card is forced to be sandwiched between them.

Best single card right now is the Nvidia Titan X followed by the more reasonable priced 980gtx.

but again wait a month, new cards are coming

RGM79

Building my first pc guys and I'm pretty excited to be honest!

I've found a £550 is sweet spot.

What do you guys think?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/YggKLk

AMD FX builds are no longer recommended these days. For most games, they are generally matched or beaten by Intel i3 processors that produce less heat (but are not overclockable). That and AM3+ as a motherboard platform is already abandoned and will no longer receive any upgrades.

Even though the processor is an FX-8370, that isn't helped by the fact that you're using it in a cheap Biostar motherboard with the stock cooler and a 500 watt power supply. There wouldn't be much headroom to overclock the FX-8370, if at all. You would need a better motherboard and power supply because the motherboard's power delivery and phases play a role in providing adequate power and voltage control for overclocking and stability, and the fact that the FX-83xx processors are quite power hungry.

Still, we're missing a few details here, I think. It can't be just those five parts. Are you upgrading your old PC? What are your old PC's specs? Let's see if there's anything reusable there. Is £550 your budget for the entire PC, or do you only need certain parts?

YoodlePro

AMD FX builds are no longer recommended these days. For most games, they are generally matched or beaten by Intel i3 processors that produce less heat (but are not overclockable). That and AM3+ as a motherboard platform is already abandoned and will no longer receive any upgrades.

Even though the processor is an FX-8370, that isn't helped by the fact that you're using it in a cheap Biostar motherboard with the stock cooler and a 500 watt power supply. There wouldn't be much headroom to overclock the FX-8370, if at all.

Still, we're missing a few details here, I think. It can't be just those five parts. Are you upgrading your old PC? What are your old PC's specs? Let's see if there's anything reusable there. Is £550 your budget for the entire PC, or do you only need certain parts?

I was expecting this. I've been out of the pc arena for a long time. Didn't know fx's weren't that good anymore. The motherboard is just the cheapest thing I could see, but realistically I would've went for the slightly more expensive gigabyte one.

There is no old pc, I only wanted to buy certain parts as I want an open pc (like putting it on the wall with some nice LEDs or building a desk and having the pc innards under my keyboard).

RGM79

I was expecting this. I've been out of the pc arena for a long time. Didn't know fx's weren't that good anymore. The motherboard is just the cheapest thing I could see, but realistically I would've went for the slightly more expensive gigabyte one.

There is no old pc, I only wanted to buy certain parts as I want an open pc (like putting it on the wall with some nice LEDs or building a desk and having the pc innards under my keyboard).

I recommend a build like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£38.17 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.24 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£33.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £551.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 11:08 BST+0100

With that, £20 more gets you a better processor and lower heat and power consumption, although not overclockable. You would be looking at the more expensive i5 4690K for a more capable overclockable processor. Not being able to overclock means you can safely consider a cheaper motherboard, though. That ASRock model one has few reviews but nearly all are positive.

Seagate has gotten a bit of a bad reputation in recent years for extremely high failure rates on some of their hard drives. Not all of their models are affected, but I still feel safer recommending Toshiba, Western Digital, or Hitachi/HGST.

XFX PRO750S 750W 80Plus Bronze ATX

Is it enough for a power supply like mine to run 2 970 in sli without problems?

Yep, no problems.

Sevenfold

Not being able to overclock means you can safely consider a cheaper motherboard, though. That ASRock model one has few reviews but nearly all are positive.
I stand corrected, and wouldn't want to misinform. That said. I'd still feel uneasy pairing that with a 970.

XFX PRO750S 750W 80Plus Bronze ATX

Is it enough for a power supply like mine to run 2 970 in sli without problems?
I am pretty positive that the answer is yes.
A 320 W power supply is enough for a single 970 or so says Anandtech. 750 W will be enough for two.

The benefits of purchasing a PSU will higher wattage are the possibility go 3-way SLI or simply to add other components down the road and still be safe. In the end, it's as you wish.

YoodlePro

I recommend a build like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£38.17 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.24 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (£251.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£33.78 @ Aria PC)
Total: £551.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 11:08 BST+0100

With that, £20 more gets you a better processor and lower heat and power consumption, although not overclockable. You would be looking at the more expensive i5 4690K for a more capable overclockable processor. Not being able to overclock means you can safely consider a cheaper motherboard, though. That ASRock model one has few reviews but nearly all are positive.

Seagate has gotten a bit of a bad reputation in recent years for extremely high failure rates on some of their hard drives. Not all of their models are affected, but I still feel safer recommending Toshiba, Western Digital, or Hitachi/HGST.

Yep, no problems.

Not really looking to overclock so it is very fine. It's mostly for working in autocad and Adobe suite with gaming on the side.

Thanks a lot for making this build for me mate.

T.O.P

Banned

I am pretty positive that the answer is yes.
A 320 W power supply is enough for a single 970 or so says Anandtech. 750 W will be enough for two.

The benefits of purchasing a PSU will higher wattage are the possibility go 3-way SLI or simply to add other components down the road and still be safe. In the end, it's as you wish.

Nice, tahnks :)

Dude, I'm from Italy too, can you tell me if Amazon.it is going to give you the codes for Batman and The Witcher 3?

I can already tell you that they won't

Here's the only selected retailers for IT
http://www.nvidia.it/object/witcher-3-batman-ak-bundle-it.html

The MSI i bought costs 60€ more on those websites wich kills the deal (i also prefer Amazon for relaiability)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I can already tell you that they won't

Here's the only selected retailers for IT
http://www.nvidia.it/object/witcher-3-batman-ak-bundle-it.html

The MSI i bought costs 60€ more on those websites wich kills the deal (i also prefer Amazon for relaiability)

Have you tried asking for them like other people did?
I prefer Amazon too, and the 60€ surplus it's bullshit, so either the card drops in price soon or I'm waiting for the next series. <_<

RGM79

I stand corrected, and wouldn't want to misinform. That said. I'd still feel uneasy pairing that with a 970.

Well, technically it should be fine. Even cheap mATX motherboards have a full PCI-E x16 slot and that won't really bottleneck a GTX 980.

I do understand what you mean about pairing cheap components with a GTX 970. Right now, my circumstances have been so that I've had to cannibalize my living room HTPC to use as my main PC. I'm running an overclocked processor on a B85 motherboard with an R9 270X, and it's not ideal at all.

Not really looking to overclock so it is very fine. It's mostly for working in autocad and Adobe suite with gaming on the side.

Thanks a lot for making this build for me mate.

No problem, that's why we're here. Good luck on your custom wall-mounted or desk-contained build, I'm nowhere near handy or capable enough to do something like that.

T.O.P

Banned
I prefer Amazon too, and the 60€ surplus it's bullshit, so either the card drops in price soon or I'm waiting for the next series. <_<

Gonna ask 'em once i'm home

But i'm pretty sure since all the other websites who got the Batman/Witcher deal bumped the price up

I'm buying this mostly because my R290 died so staying without a pc is a big no, you might as well wait as other have said for the new vga to be announced and see how low the current ones drop (se non te serve di corsa)

TronLight

Gonna ask 'em once i'm home

But i'm pretty sure since all the other websites who got the Batman/Witcher deal bumped the price up

I'm buying this mostly because my R290 died so staying without a pc is a big no, you might as well wait as other have said for the new vga to be announced and see how low the current ones drop (se non te serve di corsa)
My 570 died too, a month ago, but I'm going to resist.
Your estimated delivery is my birthday too lol.

Max_Po

Banned
Hi guys, quick question.

specs: i7 4770k with Asus Formula VI G-Skill 2400 Freq Ram.

last week I wasted a lot of time reading up on overclocking Haswell (CPU). All my attempts to overclock to 4.5 have failed.

Since last year I have been running it at stock. The funny or even more head shaking thing is its running perfectly under custom waterloop. I went full out and created a monster ... only being used as a normal Desktop.

Anyways the GPU is r9 290x and I only played some BF4 and now started "The Witcher 2" .. only for graphics...

I want to overclock the CPU. Some forums indicate that 2400 mhz Rams are a big NO NO...

I was trying to reach 4.5 or 4.6 ... 4.5 will be awesome but so far what I have tried ...it is not stable.. (Hopefully not everything)

Then after numerous failed attempts I said enough BS I just set everything to Auto in BIOS and tried 4.4 and it seems to be running so far with 2 or 3 crashes so far playing games like Witcher 2.

Can you some please advise that the voltages should be max safe values ? Right now I have Core CPU, CpuZ and HWinfo... tellling me that the max clock is 4399, and the Core Voltage is 1.249 Volts.

Is there a possibility of going higher?
Prime95 test is stable but people do not recommend it for Haswell.
I ran RealBench 2.4...I have had the thing going full night successfully.

Sevenfold

I do understand what you mean about pairing cheap components with a GTX 970. Right now, my circumstances have been so that I've had to cannibalize my living room HTPC to use as my main PC. I'm running an overclocked processor on a B85 motherboard with an R9 270X, and it's not ideal at all.

Been there myself. My q6600 lasted such a long time :)

T.O.P

Banned
Guys how hard can it be to do a gpu switch by myself? (aka i donnow shit)

Meaning:
-erasing AMD drivers
-taking off the R290
-installing the 970
-installing the new drivers

i saw a Corsair C70 installation video and it seemed pretty simple but i'm scared to fuck things up lol

I wanna try tho

TronLight

Guys how hard can it be to do a gpu switch by myself?

Meaning:
-erasing AMD drivers
-taking off the R290
-installing the 970
-installing the new drivers

i saw a Corsair C70 installation video and it seemed pretty simple but i'm scared to fuck things up lol
You need to be a complete idiot to fuck it up. It's literally plug and play, you can't get it wrong. Remember to unplug you PC.

Touch something that's grounded and discharge any static charge you could have on. Use DDU to unsintall your driver.

glaurung

Guys how hard can it be to do a gpu switch by myself? (aka i donnow shit)
It really isn't that difficult.

Things to keep in mind:
  1. Ground yourself if your immediate environments tend to produce a lot of static charge.
  2. Unplug your PC box before starting. Laying it down on a soft surface will make your life a lot easier.
  3. There is a clasp/plastic switch that makes your old card pop up a bit (most motherboards have these).
  4. Gently pull out the old card. Try not to touch the circuitry too much.
  5. Slide the new card into the slot, lining it up with the port. Push firmly into place. Try to avoid touching anything but the sides of the card.
  6. Connect any supplemental power cables that your new card needs.
  7. Reassemble your box and switch it on.
Did it work?

TronLight

It really isn't that difficult.

Things to keep in mind:
  1. Ground yourself if your immediate environments tend to produce a lot of static charge.
  2. Unplug your PC box before starting. Laying it down on a soft surface will make your life a lot easier.
  3. There is a clasp/plastic switch that makes your old card pop up a bit (most motherboards have these).
  4. Gently pull out the old card. Try not to touch the circuitry too much.
  5. Slide the new card into the slot, lining it up with the port. Push firmly into place. Try to avoid touching anything but the sides of the card.
  6. Connect any supplemental power cables that your new card needs.
  7. Reassemble your box and switch it on.
Did it work?

HOMER.gif.gif

Fellow Italian here, bought a 970 from Amazon as well. If any of you has any luck in contacting nVidia directly, could you keep me updated?
I'm not holding out much hope though.

Engell

Hi guys, quick question.

specs: i7 4770k with Asus Formula VI G-Skill 2400 Freq Ram.

last week I wasted a lot of time reading up on overclocking Haswell (CPU). All my attempts to overclock to 4.5 have failed.

I want to overclock the CPU. Some forums indicate that 2400 mhz Rams are a big NO NO...

Yes 2400mhz is a "false" frequency, it doesn't sync correctly with the rest of the system.
If you go in and play with your RAM timings manually you should be able to make them run 2666mhz at a higher cas(or maybe the same) but ofc big risk of no boot when you are fiddling with these settings, so make sure you know how to reset CMOS etc. also be sure to have a baseline benchmark on your RAM to see if it helps at all. Also try underclocking the RAM with lower CAS settings.

Its not sure that this will have any effect on your cpu OC, maybe you just got unlucky in the binning lottery.

:-D but then again the difference is very small, so you will likely never notice maybe 1fps in games, maybe less

TronLight

Fellow Italian here, bought a 970 from Amazon as well. If any of you has any luck in contacting nVidia directly, could you keep me updated?
I'm not holding out much hope though.

I asked an amazon clerk, they told me that the codes should be in the box of the product, even after I told them that they should e-mail the code and they told me to ask nVidia. I gave up.

I mean, I don't blame them because if they don't have the partnership with nVidia they're not forced to do anything, but reading the thread about the promo and the fact that various amazon shops have been giving the codes to those who bought the cards gave me hope...

Still, what the fuck nVidia, partnering with Amazon.com but not .it and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom