• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked an amazon clerk, they told me that the codes should be in the box of the product, even after I told them that they should e-mail the code and they told me to ask nVidia. I gave up.

I mean, I don't blame them because if they don't have the partnership with nVidia they're not forced to do anything, but reading the thread about the promo and the fact that various amazon shops have been giving the codes to those who bought the cards gave me hope...

Still, what the fuck nVidia, partnering with Amazon.com but not .it and others.
It really is a shame, I am looking forward to both games.
I'm still not sure I'll eventually get The Witcher 3 (I have yet to play the other two) and I'm definitely waiting on the GotY for Batman. Would have loved to test my new card with those though.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Hey guys,

Picked up a MSI z97s krait edition to match the theme of my build. However, after looking over this review, I'm sort of doubting my purchase.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/12

I then stumbled upon this review which is more recent.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/81373-msi-z97s-sli-krait-edition/?page=6

Do you guys think MSI fixed the board or should I expect subpar gaming performance?

Also, is it worth it to keep the bios up to date or should I only update if it im experiencing problems?

Noirulus

Do you guys have any idea when the next generation of CPUs/GPUs will be revealed? I don't know how long I should wait and if it'll even be helpful in my quest to build a PC (What if the new parts are too expensive?)

Chesskid1

Banned
hey guys, i bought a monitor and it comes with an hdmi cable. kinda weird since the monitor has multiple displayports and my gpu has multiple displayports (but only 1 hdmi) as well and i know displayports is newish and kinda replacing hdmi. i've never had a monitor that used displayport before.

just wondering if i should buy a displayport cable basically

heyf00L

Do you guys have any idea when the next generation of CPUs/GPUs will be revealed? I don't know how long I should wait and if it'll even be helpful in my quest to build a PC (What if the new parts are too expensive?)

The only big shift in CPUs is that maybe AMD will come out with some good, high end stuff in a year or so. Otherwise, don't worry about "next gen". It's not getting a ton better anytime soon.

For GPUs, the new AMD card comes out next month (?) and an expected new nVidia card soon, too. However, they'll both be enthusiast cards costing > $600. If you're not spending that much, don't wait. Maybe they'll drive prices down on current cards a little bit.

More modestly priced new GPUs are months or a year away.

Hi guys, quick question.

specs: i7 4770k with Asus Formula VI G-Skill 2400 Freq Ram.

last week I wasted a lot of time reading up on overclocking Haswell (CPU). All my attempts to overclock to 4.5 have failed.

Since last year I have been running it at stock. The funny or even more head shaking thing is its running perfectly under custom waterloop. I went full out and created a monster ... only being used as a normal Desktop.

Anyways the GPU is r9 290x and I only played some BF4 and now started "The Witcher 2" .. only for graphics...

I want to overclock the CPU. Some forums indicate that 2400 mhz Rams are a big NO NO...

I was trying to reach 4.5 or 4.6 ... 4.5 will be awesome but so far what I have tried ...it is not stable.. (Hopefully not everything)

Then after numerous failed attempts I said enough BS I just set everything to Auto in BIOS and tried 4.4 and it seems to be running so far with 2 or 3 crashes so far playing games like Witcher 2.

Can you some please advise that the voltages should be max safe values ? Right now I have Core CPU, CpuZ and HWinfo... tellling me that the max clock is 4399, and the Core Voltage is 1.249 Volts.

Is there a possibility of going higher?
Prime95 test is stable but people do not recommend it for Haswell.
I ran RealBench 2.4...I have had the thing going full night successfully.

Someone more knowledgeable could help you better but going up to 1.300 volts is on the safe side, anything over would be pushing it as long as temps are not much over 80 degrees C. Turn off XMP profile while trying to find a stable overclock, worry about that later as overclocking memory gives you minimal benefits.

I personally wouldnt run stress tests over night but try RealBench as well as AIDA64 for one hour each. I certainly wouldn't recommend Prime95 over night but it is meant to be particularly brutal on Haswell-E first and foremost, Haswell like yours a little less so.

Also read the Haswell overclocking guide on Overclockers.net forum for expert advice.

For GPUs, the new AMD card comes out next month (?) and an expected new nVidia card soon, too. However, they'll both be enthusiast cards costing > $600. If you're not spending that much, don't wait. Maybe they'll drive prices down on current cards a little bit.

More modestly priced new GPUs are months or a year away.

Any word on if they'll have VR specific features?

Any word on if they'll have VR specific features?

The 390/390X are meant to power VR gaming, so I would expect so.

Also, it isn't just top end flagship cards releasing next month from AMD, its a bunch of refreshes too like a 370 and 380 that may be more in your price-bracket but these are sans the HBM of the flagships of course.

Ventara

Guys, I've been tasked with cleaning up some old computers to be given away at work. I'm to delete/uninstall everything except basic stuff like Word. Any easy way of doing this? The long way would take me an hour/computer.

Edit: Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to ask.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Guys, I've been tasked with cleaning up some old computers to be given away at work. I'm to delete/uninstall everything except basic stuff like Word. Any easy way of doing this? The long way would take me an hour/computer.

Edit: Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to ask.

A reformat is out of the question? If you have all the licenses you just need a couple of USBs.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Are they all the same brand/model/specs? It would make imaging far faster.

Genio88

Guys how hard can it be to do a gpu switch by myself? (aka i donnow shit)

Meaning:
-erasing AMD drivers
-taking off the R290
-installing the 970
-installing the new drivers

i saw a Corsair C70 installation video and it seemed pretty simple but i'm scared to fuck things up lol

I wanna try tho

I did that just a few day ago, changed my r9 290 with a GTX 980, so first thing you have to completely unistall all the AMD software from your PC, the best way to du that is to use the software DDU Display Driver Uninstaller, download that and run it, follow the instruction and select "unistall and turn off the PC", when the PC is off just unplug everything and switch the cards, turn the PC on and intall the Nvidia drivers for your new 970.

Ventara

A reformat is out of the question? If you have all the licenses you just need a couple of USBs.

That's what I wanted to do at first, but we don't have the Office licenses anymore, so I think that would remove Office permanently.

Are they all the same brand/model/specs? It would make imaging far faster.

Not sure if they're all the same, but they're pretty similar. All Windows XP, and I think Pentium CPU. Imaging?

Vitor711

Is it possible to get a a 980 equipped machine for much less than $1500 (after tax)?

I basically just want something so I can max out The Witcher 3/Batman. First PC here - moving on from laptop gaming (980m).

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can anybody recommend a decent 120mm case fan from amazon?

Is it possible to get a a 980 equipped machine for much less than $1500 (after tax)?

I basically just want something so I can max out The Witcher 3/Batman. First PC here - moving on from laptop gaming (980m).

I would personally go with a 970 over the 980 (though that's totally up to you), but this is a quick build I put together, sans case and OS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) <---that's the mobo I use, love it but doesn't support SLI if you wanted to go down that route
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($113.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5&quot; Solid State Drive ($214.00 @ B&amp;H) <----Random SSD from a build I put together for a friend a while back, you can probably find a cheaper one by now
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($335.00 @ Newegg) Add about $200 if you go for 980
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.98 @ Newegg) Same as the ssd, probably a better one if you dig around
Total: $1127.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 13:18 EDT-0400

AndyD

aka andydumi
That's what I wanted to do at first, but we don't have the Office licenses anymore, so I think that would remove Office permanently.

Not sure if they're all the same, but they're pretty similar. All Windows XP, and I think Pentium CPU. Imaging?

If they were all the same, you could format one, then install the minimum software needed (windows, office, updates) and then image that harddrive into the rest of the machines. But that's not feasible if they all have different specs.

Building my PC right now, and the RAM is a bitch to get into place. I'm really worried I'm going to break it trying to force it down. Seems to take a lot even with the notches lined up.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Building my PC right now, and the RAM is a bitch to get into place. I'm really worried I'm going to break it trying to force it down. Seems to take a lot even with the notches lined up.

Sometimes it seems the notches are lined up when they aren't. Also, make sure you open the latches on either end all the way. And you can ease in one then, then the other. Just be careful.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In general when building a PC if you feel like you are applying enough pressure to break something there is a good chance you will. I would make sure that you aren't doing something wrong before you mess anything up. Take out the ram, make sure that whatever clips hold the ram in place are disengaged.

mkenyon

Banned
Is it obstructed, or fairly open? Preference for silence vs. airflow?
What is the smallest/best mATX case that can fit a PCIe card? Looking to make myself an emulator box for use with my PVM 20L5.
How big of a PCI-E card?
Hey guys,

Picked up a MSI z97s krait edition to match the theme of my build. However, after looking over this review, I'm sort of doubting my purchase.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_z97_sli_krait_motherboard_review/12

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/81373-msi-z97s-sli-krait-edition/?page=6

Do you guys think MSI fixed the board or should I expect subpar gaming performance?

Also, is it worth it to keep the bios up to date or should I only update if it im experiencing problems?
I'd do some searching on Overclock.net to confirm this, but it looks like OC3D had something weird going on. If it were due to gimped CPU performance, I could understand, but it overclocked nicely just like any Z97 board.

In general when building a PC if you feel like you are applying enough pressure to break something there is a good chance you will. I would make sure that you aren't doing something wrong before you mess anything up. Take out the ram, make sure that whatever clips hold the ram in place are disengaged.

Sometimes it seems the notches are lined up when they aren't. Also, make sure you open the latches on either end all the way. And you can ease in one then, then the other. Just be careful.

I tried each of these. It still didn't work. It turns out the trick was to push one side down slightly until it locked then push down the other side. I know it said to apply equal pressure and lock at the same time, but as far as I can tell nothing was damaged locking one side at a time.

T.O.P

Banned
I did that just a few day ago, changed my r9 290 with a GTX 980, so first thing you have to completely unistall all the AMD software from your PC, the best way to du that is to use the software DDU Display Driver Uninstaller, download that and run it, follow the instruction and select "unistall and turn off the PC", when the PC is off just unplug everything and switch the cards, turn the PC on and intall the Nvidia drivers for your new 970.

thanks

i also have Tronlight ready to follow my steps through the "procedure" :lol

shouldn't be a problem :D

Vitor711

I would personally go with a 970 over the 980 (though that's totally up to you), but this is a quick build I put together, sans case and OS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz) <---that's the mobo I use, love it but doesn't support SLI if you wanted to go down that route
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($113.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5&quot; Solid State Drive ($214.00 @ B&amp;H) <----Random SSD from a build I put together for a friend a while back, you can probably find a cheaper one by now
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5&quot; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0 Video Card ($335.00 @ Newegg) Add about $200 if you go for 980
Power Supply: Cooler Master VSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($86.98 @ Newegg) Same as the ssd, probably a better one if you dig around
Total: $1127.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 13:18 EDT-0400

Appreciate it! $1300 is certainly what I'm aiming for. I mean, heck, I can sell my current 980m equipped laptop for more than that on ebay.

My PC died last night. My SSD is either corrupted or dead, unfortunately. Not sure what happened or how. I went to use it last night and it was frozen up. No windows or key presses would cause a response, but the mouse cursor would move. I let it sit for ten minutes or so, then hard booted it. It first said it couldn't find a boot partition. After another boot cycle it tried to boot into some windows recovery utility. Nothing happened from there. I am going to try to repair/reinstall the OS when I get home, but I have a bad feeling the SSD failed.

Is it the one on the front page of the site? https://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html

It's barely longer than the PCI-e slot, should fit into basically everything.
Cool, good to know. I guess in that case im basically looking for the absolute smallest pc case possible. I see those tiny Gigabyte brix pc's but i don't think those are upgradable correct? It would be either mini itx or micro atx?
Edit: oh yeah, it is the first one on there

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Cool, good to know. I guess in that case im basically looking for the absolute smallest pc case possible. I see those tiny Gigabyte brix pc's but i don't think those are upgradable correct? It would be either mini itx or micro atx?
Edit: oh yeah, it is the first one on there

It's not gonna fit in one of those, nevermind the fact that they're not upgradable. :lol

The smaller form factor is MiniITX. There are a few small cases suggested in the first page.

mkenyon

Banned
It'll be an arcadevga card, which for whatever reason ultimarc doesn't list the dimensions. It's based on a radeon 5450, if that helps.
If it is the card linked above, it'll fit into any mATX case that doesn't have half height expansion slots.

Look through here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=90

Some main choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133274

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2TS0459

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147212R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205

Any chance you can get an ITX board? Or are you working with hardware you already have?

RGM79

Hey guys,

The Overclock3D review results seem to be odd, I wouldn't have expected framerates like that. I wonder if their motherboard was defective in some way.

Generally speaking if all is fine then you don't need to bother with BIOS updates, and you really only need to update if you have issues. Sometimes BIOS updates are issued to improve performance, though BIOS update changelogs are often brief and usually don't come with a lot of explanations as to what changed exactly.

It's not gonna fit in one of those, nevermind the fact that they're not upgradable. :lol

The smaller form factor is MiniITX. There are a few small cases suggested in the first page.
Thanks! Yeah didn't expect it to fit into a brix lol but i held out hope that it could. I've never seen one in person so wasn't sure how small they actually are.

If it is the card linked above, it'll fit into any mATX case that doesn't have half height expansion slots.

Look through here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=90

Some main choices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133274

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ2TS0459

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147212R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205

Any chance you can get an ITX board? Or are you working with hardware you already have?
I haven't started the build at all yet, but i was under the impression mATX was superior somehow? Should i just go with itx if small size is one of the main priorities?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks! Yeah didn't expect it to fit into a brix lol but i held out hope that it could. I've never seen one in person so wasn't sure how small they actually are.

I haven't started the build at all yet, but i was under the impression mATX was superior somehow? Should i just go with itx if small size is one of the main priorities?
Yep. ITX would be the way to go. Lots of tiny ITX cases.

RGM79

The mATX form factor offers up to 4 expansion slots while mITX features just one PCI-E x16 slot, that's the main difference. Certain models will feature some unique differences in terms of motherboard layout (mITX motherboards sometimes come with wifi included, but may feature fewer SATA ports due to size constraints), but performance doesn't suffer. Even some mITX motherboards are well-suited for overclocking. If you know exactly what you need and don't need the extras that mATX motherboards offer, then mITX is better overall for an emphasis on small size.

In your case if size is an important factor, I'd look for a suitable case and then a motherboard to fit in that case.

mylasthope

Neo Member
The Overclock3D review results seem to be odd, I wouldn't have expected framerates like that. I wonder if their motherboard was defective in some way.

Generally speaking if all is fine then you don't need to bother with BIOS updates, and you really only need to update if you have issues. Sometimes BIOS updates are issued to improve performance, though BIOS update changelogs are often brief and usually don't come with a lot of explanations as to what changed exactly.

I'd do some searching on Overclock.net to confirm this, but it looks like OC3D had something weird going on. If it were due to gimped CPU performance, I could understand, but it overclocked nicely just like any Z97 board.

Having trouble finding anything that addresses the poor O3D benchmarks on overclock.net. Is there anything I should look out for when I get my new mobo to see if I suffer from the same issues--should I run benchmarks on my current mobo or nah?

RGM79

Having trouble finding anything that addresses the poor O3D benchmarks on overclock.net. Is there anything I should look out for when I get my new mobo to see if I suffer from the same issues--should I run benchmarks on my current mobo or nah?

What's your current motherboard? I'd run some benchmarks when you get your SLI Krait Edition to check for issues.

Having some problems with mobo installation. The standoffs are preinstalled, but I'm having problems getting my mobo to slide into my I/O cover panel. I took a picture to show the problem. There's these prongs that are sticking out which I assume are to keep the mobo tight against the panel, but it's impossible for me to slide the mobo into the prongs. Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to tackle this? I didn't see prongs like these mentioned on any of the PC building videos.

hKGNofw.jpg

I have the Krait Edition motherboard and have had no issues with it. I didn't run benchmarks and compare scores, but I am definitely not having issues like that particular review had.

RGM79

Having some problems with mobo installation. The standoffs are preinstalled, but I'm having problems getting my mobo to slide into my ISO cover panel. I took a picture to show the problem. There's these prongs that are sticking out which I assume are to keep the mobo tight against the panel, but it's impossible for me to slide the mobo into the prongs. Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to tackle this? I didn't see prongs like these mentioned on any of the PC building videos.

hKGNofw.jpg

You can bend those in to make more room. What I do is insert the motherboard into the I/O panel at an angle and then lower the motherboard onto the standoffs.

You can bend those in to make more room. What I do is insert the motherboard into the I/O panel at an angle and then lower the motherboard onto the standoffs.

Okay. I really wasn't sure if I was supposed to bend those or not. Just bent a few of them and tried the sideways install and it finally popped into place. Thanks!

SRG01

RGM beat me to it :) Just to pipe up with my own experiences: I didn't slide my motherboard in at the right angle the first time around and I actually got one of the tabs stuck in my ethernet port. Oops!

I was going to post a couple of pics of my new rig up, but I developed a (small) problem: the stock CPU fan seems to be buzzing for some reason, or some sort of audible sound at the very least. Is that cause for concern? The RPMs seem to be okay though.

Arsenic

Hey guys!

Before I make these new purchase all by myself, I figured I might as well run this list by some of you. I'll be listing my current hardware to show where I would be upgrading from, and where I intend to go.

My goal is to have something last longer than 4.5 years my current build has done. I also noticed I've slowed down gaming habits as soon as limitations started to arise, so Im looking to prevent that this time.

I'm also looking to invest in a 1440p gsync Monitor in the future with this new build. My budget says $1500, but im more than willing to push past that within reason of course. Not looking to cut too much corners for savings.

Also, any recommendation on what I can do with the old hardware? I'm not looking to sell any parts (unless some of you specifically want them, which I doubt), but I do want to donate them. Problem is it wont have any harddrives (security reasons) and it probably wont have an optical drive neither.

without further ado:

• [*]Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
    i5-760 / 16GB 1600 / Radeon 6850 / Corsair 550 Watt Bronze Certified / Cooler MasterMX920? Mid-tower / Multiple HDDs, 250GB SSD Boot Drive

[*]Budget: Price Range + Country
    $1500 - USA. ($315 already spent on GPU | GTX 970)

[*]Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
    5 Gaming, 4 3D Model work (Unreal Engine Learning/Play, and others similar)

[*]Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
    Current Monitor: DELL 21" 1080p e-IPS. Looking to upgrade at a later time, in the next year possibly.

[*]List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
    Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight ( I got these for free ) and MGSV in the future. 60 frames is preferable. PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA isn't important to me as of right now, but that can change.

[*]Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
    My harddrives / Possibly my case if okay / Memory is possible, but I prefer to invest in faster memory / DVD drive, not upgrading to blu-ray.

[*]When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
    This month, no deadline. Willing to wait (or not, since I already purchased the GPU) Being patient waiting for price drops on memory, HDDs and SSDs, Cases, PSUs,

[*]Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Maybe. Not at first for sure, down the line, yes.

Few things to note: I'm looking hard at this CPU(i7-5820k) and this motherboard(MSI X99S SLI Plus). Im not looking to do SLI, but I absolutely love the looks, and I would love a case with a window that expresses it.

Looking for assistance in filling in the other parts. Even a pro/con on my choice of CPU would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom