• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

RGM beat me to it :) Just to pipe up with my own experiences: I didn't slide my motherboard in at the right angle the first time around and I actually got one of the tabs stuck in my ethernet port. Oops!

I was going to post a couple of pics of my new rig up, but I developed a (small) problem: the stock CPU fan seems to be buzzing for some reason, or some sort of audible sound at the very least. Is that cause for concern? The RPMs seem to be okay though.

Yeah, I've done that before. I've put together a PC and while plugging in things, I wasn't sure why the port felt extremely tight and the cable wasn't going in, turns out the tab went into the connector instead of around it.

As for your fan buzzing.. make sure the fan's cable isn't touching the edge of the fan blades. The stock Intel cooler's design wraps the fan cable around the fan but the loose cables can sometimes touch the fan.

mkenyon

Banned
Do we have any realistic estimations on when the new amd gpu's will be available?
Nope.

and I say this because I want to be helpful and not a grammar nazi, but you don't use an apostrophe on pluralized acronyms. GPUs not GPU's. Changed everything for me when it was pointed out.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys!

Before I make these new purchase all by myself, I figured I might as well run this list by some of you. I'll be listing my current hardware to show where I would be upgrading from, and where I intend to go.

My goal is to have something last longer than 4.5 years my current build has done. I also noticed I've slowed down gaming habits as soon as limitations started to arise, so Im looking to prevent that this time.

I'm also looking to invest in a 1440p gsync Monitor in the future with this new build. My budget says $1500, but im more than willing to push past that within reason of course. Not looking to cut too much corners for savings.

Also, any recommendation on what I can do with the old hardware? I'm not looking to sell any parts (unless some of you specifically want them, which I doubt), but I do want to donate them. Problem is it wont have any harddrives (security reasons) and it probably wont have an optical drive neither.

without further ado:

• [*]Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
    i5-760 / 16GB 1600 / Radeon 6850 / Corsair 550 Watt Bronze Certified / Cooler MasterMX920? Mid-tower / Multiple HDDs, 250GB SSD Boot Drive

[*]Budget: Price Range + Country
    $1500 - USA. ($315 already spent on GPU | GTX 970)

[*]Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
    5 Gaming, 4 3D Model work (Unreal Engine Learning/Play, and others similar)

[*]Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
    Current Monitor: DELL 21" 1080p e-IPS. Looking to upgrade at a later time, in the next year possibly.

[*]List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
    Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight ( I got these for free ) and MGSV in the future. 60 frames is preferable. PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA isn't important to me as of right now, but that can change.

[*]Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
    My harddrives / Possibly my case if okay / Memory is possible, but I prefer to invest in faster memory / DVD drive, not upgrading to blu-ray.

[*]When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
    This month, no deadline. Willing to wait (or not, since I already purchased the GPU) Being patient waiting for price drops on memory, HDDs and SSDs, Cases, PSUs,

[*]Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Maybe. Not at first for sure, down the line, yes.

Few things to note: I'm looking hard at this CPU(i7-5820k) and this motherboard(MSI X99S SLI Plus). Im not looking to do SLI, but I absolutely love the looks, and I would love a case with a window that expresses it.

Looking for assistance in filling in the other parts. Even a pro/con on my choice of CPU would be great!
This actually has you under budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($349.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $872.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 16:23 EDT-0400

The 5820K and DDR4 is definitely what I suggest for most people looking to build a PC with a $1200+ budget. It's going to be a super solid platform for a really long time.

RGM79

Do we have any realistic estimations on when the new amd gpu's will be available?

Rumors have pinned the R9 3XX launch to be at or around June of this year. Official reports have confirmed the existence of OEM R9 3XX graphics cards so the rumors seem to be true. However, there isn't any concrete news on the flagship R9 390/390X yet.

Hey guys!

Before I make these new purchase all by myself, I figured I might as well run this list by some of you. I'll be listing my current hardware to show where I would be upgrading from, and where I intend to go.

My goal is to have something last longer than 4.5 years my current build has done. I also noticed I've slowed down gaming habits as soon as limitations started to arise, so Im looking to prevent that this time.

I'm also looking to invest in a 1440p gsync Monitor in the future with this new build. My budget says $1500, but im more than willing to push past that within reason of course. Not looking to cut too much corners for savings.

Also, any recommendation on what I can do with the old hardware? I'm not looking to sell any parts (unless some of you specifically want them, which I doubt), but I do want to donate them. Problem is it wont have any harddrives (security reasons) and it probably wont have an optical drive neither.

without further ado:

• [*]Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
    i5-760 / 16GB 1600 / Radeon 6850 / Corsair 550 Watt Bronze Certified / Cooler MasterMX920? Mid-tower / Multiple HDDs, 250GB SSD Boot Drive

[*]Budget: Price Range + Country
    $1500 - USA. ($315 already spent on GPU | GTX 970)

[*]Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
    5 Gaming, 4 3D Model work (Unreal Engine Learning/Play, and others similar)

[*]Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
    Current Monitor: DELL 21" 1080p e-IPS. Looking to upgrade at a later time, in the next year possibly.

[*]List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
    Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight ( I got these for free ) and MGSV in the future. 60 frames is preferable. PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA isn't important to me as of right now, but that can change.

[*]Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
    My harddrives / Possibly my case if okay / Memory is possible, but I prefer to invest in faster memory / DVD drive, not upgrading to blu-ray.

[*]When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
    This month, no deadline. Willing to wait (or not, since I already purchased the GPU) Being patient waiting for price drops on memory, HDDs and SSDs, Cases, PSUs,

[*]Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Maybe. Not at first for sure, down the line, yes.

Few things to note: I'm looking hard at this CPU(i7-5820k) and this motherboard(MSI X99S SLI Plus). Im not looking to do SLI, but I absolutely love the looks, and I would love a case with a window that expresses it.

Looking for assistance in filling in the other parts. Even a pro/con on my choice of CPU would be great!

Looks like you've done some good research. The 5820K should have no issues lasting five years, possibly even longer. It's definitely possible to spec a $1200 5820K build sans graphics cards and storage drives. I have no idea what case you have though, I can't find anything called a Cooler Master MX920 or similar. You don't seem to be too fixed on wanting to reuse the case and your budget allows for it, so I'll just recommend a new case.

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $917.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 16:32 EDT-0400

There's no definite timing for price drops on RAM, storage drives, cases, or power supplies. Occasionally they go on sale, that's it.

If you live near a Microcenter location, they offer the 5820K for just $300 in store.

mkenyon

Banned
Given that it's the enthusiast socket, I was thinking a bit more than 650W would be a nice comfy place to be, just in case they want to buy some ridiculously huge die GPU that pulls 250W+ and overclock the proc.

mylasthope

Neo Member
I have the Krait Edition motherboard and have had no issues with it. I didn't run benchmarks and compare scores, but I am definitely not having issues like that particular review had.

Awesome! Thanks for the confirmation. Really looking forward to the board.

What's your current motherboard? I'd run some benchmarks when you get your SLI Krait Edition to check for issues.

EVGA z87 classified. I know going to the krait isn't a real upgrade, but the colors match my build so much better. :)

RGM79

Given that it's the enthusiast socket, I was thinking a bit more than 650W would be a nice comfy place to be, just in case they want to buy some ridiculously huge die GPU that pulls 250W+ and overclock the proc.

That's fair, your build has more headroom than mine for expansion and overclocking. I was already typing out my long post when you replied with your build, so don't think of it as me butting heads with you over your choice of case and power supply, I just came up with my own separate recommendations that were unaware of yours.

We just happened to pick the same RAM, which was a coincidence.

mkenyon

Banned
That's fair, your build has more headroom than mine for expansion and overclocking. I was already typing out my long post when you replied with your build, so don't think of it as me butting heads with you over your choice of case and power supply, I just came up with my own separate recommendations that were unaware of yours.

We just happened to pick the same RAM, which was a coincidence.
Yeah, we're on the same page. I was just being specific with the one major difference between our builds on why I chose what I chose :p

Mine01

Hi guys im looking to upgrade my gpu, i have a hd 7770, how big is a upgrade to a nvidia 960? is worth it?.

I have a ps4, how does it compare to it? My pc has an i7-2600

RGM79

Hi guys im looking to upgrade my gpu, i have a hd 7770, how big is a upgrade to a nvidia 960? is worth it?.

I have a ps4, how does it compare to it? My pc has an i7-2600

This comparison is for the HD7770 and the R9 285, but the R9 285 is generally considered to be on par with the GTX 960 so that should be a good idea of the performance to expect from the GTX 960. The GTX 960 also has a promotion going on right now that gives GTX 960 buyers a free redeemable code for the Witcher 3 if that interests you.

Depending on other factors like the rest of your PC specs and how much you are willing to budget for the new graphics card, the R9 290 might be a better buy for a couple of dollars more. It'll offer much stronger performance and 4GB VRAM for as low as $225, although it doesn't come bundled with any games.

Not sure how it compares to the PS4. I've often heard of the PS4 being compared to an intel i3 processor and GTX 750 Ti which would be weaker than your current PC with the GTX 960, but I'm not sure how accurate the "PS4 -> i3+750 Ti" comparison is.

danthefan

GAF, do I need a 16GB pagefile? I'm on an SSD and space is at a premium and the pagefile seems to have matched the amount of RAM I have. Can I reduce this safely or should I just leave it alone?

So I upgraded from a 120gb SAmsung 840 EVO to a 120gb 850 EVO due to the 840 issues and sti ll being within my retunr period.However, the numbers are actually worse on my 850 for some reason:
Sequential Read/Write 309/466
Random Read/Write 97028/72853

Particularly the sequential read...I'm on window 8.1 with 8gb ram and an overclocked i5-4670k.
Did i get a dud ssd or are these normal!?

If this is the wrong thread for this please point me to a better one , thanks!

It's connected to a SATA 3 port with AHCI enabled - Samsung magician confirms this and I only have SATA 3 ports so there's no way I have plugged it into a SATA 2 port.

Also, i simply used the samsung clone/migration software to copy the files over. OS is installed on the SSD with a 1TB hardrive for file storage/game storage.

RGM79

GAF, do I need a 16GB pagefile? I'm on an SSD and space is at a premium and the pagefile seems to have matched the amount of RAM I have. Can I reduce this safely or should I just leave it alone?

Yes, you can reduce it. By how much is up to you, as long as it's not no page file at all as some programs won't play nice if there's no page file.

So I upgraded from a 120gb SAmsung 840 EVO to a 120gb 850 EVO due to the 840 issues and sti ll being within my retunr period.However, the numbers are actually worse on my 850 for some reason:
Sequential Read/Write 309/466
Random Read/Write 97028/72853

Particularly the sequential read...I'm on window 8.1 with 8gb ram and an overclocked i5-4670k.
Did i get a dud ssd or are these normal!?

If this is the wrong thread for this please point me to a better one , thanks!

It's connected to a SATA 3 port with AHCI enabled - Samsung magician confirms this and I only have SATA 3 ports so there's no way I have plugged it into a SATA 2 port.

Also, i simply used the samsung clone/migration software to copy the files over. OS is installed on the SSD with a 1TB hardrive for file storage/game storage.

What program are you using to test it?

Hattori

Banned
Nvidia really needs to include backplates, I just installed one on my Titan X(OCd +185) and it has not gone past 70c (highest was 66c)

I'm using the phanteks enthoo case which has a wire labeled "to motherboard CPU fan" that connects to a hub all the other fans are connected to. Am I supposed to plug in my Hyper 212 EVO to that wire/hub? or am I supposed to plug the hub into a cpu slot on my mobo and the Hyper 212 EVO to a spot on my mobo?

I'm almost positive you plug that into your CPU_FAN header on the motherboard. It's a female end, yes?

Yes it is female. Am I supposed to plug my Hyper 212 EVO into the hub or the mobo? There's three prong male slots on the hub, but the Hyper 212 EVO is a 4 prong female.

Kayant

I'm using the phanteks enthoo case which has a wire labeled "to motherboard CPU fan" that connects to a hub all the other fans are connected to. Am I supposed to plug in my Hyper 212 EVO to that wire/hub? or am I supposed to plug the hub into a cpu slot on my mobo and the Hyper 212 EVO to a spot on my mobo?

I would think you want your evo on the CPU fan header so the mobo can control the fan speed and the phanteks fan controller to any fan slot on the mobo.

RGM79

Yes it is female. Am I supposed to plug my Hyper 212 EVO into the hub or the mobo? There's three prong male slots on the hub, but the Hyper 212 EVO is a 4 prong female.

According to the manual, the fan controller hub is ideally plugged into the motherboard's CPU_FAN header. It could be plugged in elsewhere, but the manual warns that "not all motherboard manufacturers implement a true PWM signal modulation onto these connectors. These type of 4-pin connectors modulate the RPM by voltage, which has a smaller control range compared to modulation by true PWM signal."

You might have to do some testing to make sure the hub works correctly if you decide to plug it into a different fan header.

According to the manual, the fan controller hub is ideally plugged into the motherboard's CPU_FAN header. It could be plugged in elsewhere, but the manual warns that "not all motherboard manufacturers implement a true PWM signal modulation onto these connectors. These type of 4-pin connectors modulate the RPM by voltage, which has a smaller control range compared to modulation by true PWM signal."

You might have to do some testing to make sure the hub works correctly if you decide to plug it into a different fan header.

Yeah, I did some research, and it looks like plugging it into anything besides the CPU_FAN connector will give it somewhere between 40%-100% scale on the fans vs 0-100% from CPU_FAN. The other slots don't implement true PWM.

Arsenic

This actually has you under budget:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $872.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 16:23 EDT-0400

The 5820K and DDR4 is definitely what I suggest for most people looking to build a PC with a $1200+ budget. It's going to be a super solid platform for a really long time.

Rumors have pinned the R9 3XX launch to be at or around June of this year. Official reports have confirmed the existence of OEM R9 3XX graphics cards so the rumors seem to be true. However, there isn't any concrete news on the flagship R9 390/390X yet.

Looks like you've done some good research. The 5820K should have no issues lasting five years, possibly even longer. It's definitely possible to spec a $1200 5820K build sans graphics cards and storage drives. I have no idea what case you have though, I can't find anything called a Cooler Master MX920 or similar. You don't seem to be too fixed on wanting to reuse the case and your budget allows for it, so I'll just recommend a new case.

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $917.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-11 16:32 EDT-0400

There's no definite timing for price drops on RAM, storage drives, cases, or power supplies. Occasionally they go on sale, that's it.

If you live near a Microcenter location, they offer the 5820K for just $300 in store.

Thanks gentlemen! putting order on the motherboard now and will pick up the CPU at micro center when I have time.

Over the weekend ill keep a lookout for the other components. I feel confident on the CPU now.

The case was a Cooler Master HAF 922, sorry! its been a while since I've seen the box.

Herne

Hey guys, I'm about to build a machine for a friend and we've come down to two options - whether to spend more money on the cpu or the graphics card. What we've narrowed it down to is an i5 4690K with a GeForce 960, or an FX 8320 with a GeForce 970.

I'm more in favour of the graphics card, especially considering the performance improvements on the way for AMD cpu's in DirectX 12, but what do you guys think?

Mine01

This comparison is for the HD7770 and the R9 285, but the R9 285 is generally considered to be on par with the GTX 960 so that should be a good idea of the performance to expect from the GTX 960. The GTX 960 also has a promotion going on right now that gives GTX 960 buyers a free redeemable code for the Witcher 3 if that interests you.

Depending on other factors like the rest of your PC specs and how much you are willing to budget for the new graphics card, the R9 290 might be a better buy for a couple of dollars more. It'll offer much stronger performance and 4GB VRAM for as low as $225, although it doesn't come bundled with any games.

Not sure how it compares to the PS4. I've often heard of the PS4 being compared to an intel i3 processor and GTX 750 Ti which would be weaker than your current PC with the GTX 960, but I'm not sure how accurate the "PS4 -> i3+750 Ti" comparison is.

Thx for the help! The thing is, I really like the 960 cause its size + power needed, I live in mexico so its pretty hot down here during summer, and I guess the 960 won't heat cause the power consumption thing.

I'll look into the r9 290 tough!

I'm talking about this one.

Hey guys, I'm about to build a machine for a friend and we've come down to two options - whether to spend more money on the cpu or the graphics card. What we've narrowed it down to is an i5 4690K with a GeForce 960, or an FX 8320 with a GeForce 970.

I'm more in favour of the graphics card, especially considering the performance improvements on the way for AMD cpu's in DirectX 12, but what do you guys think?
How about the i5 and an R9 285?

Herne

How about the i5 and an R9 285?

I'm keeping the 285 in mind as well, it's just that she wants this built in time for and capable of playing The Witcher 3, and I know the 960 comes with a code for a free copy ;) I would consider the 290 but the 970 is a better option, especially with the 3xx series coming out next month (I hope).

RGM79

I'm going to be replacing my noisy, clicky 1tb wd black with a 4tb seagate SSHD. Anyone know if these are any good, silent or if there are any faster 7.2k rpm alternatives?

I'd consider an SSD and a hard drive instead of hybrid drives. Hybrid drives cache the most commonly accessed data, but the cache is small (only 8GB in this case) and not all of your files will be available for quick access. An SSD is more expensive, but provides more available high speed storage and more consistent as well as generally higher speeds. The drive performs well in synthetic benchmarks, but I'm going to assume that most of the cache will end up storing OS files, and a few parts of your most accessed programs.

Also, that hybrid drive is only rated for 5900RPM. Anything that isn't cached is going to end up feeling slow to access. If you're still interested, the $165 price tag on Amazon isn't worth it. However, Newegg currently has it for $140 on their time limited shell shocker deal, which isn't too bad in terms of price. A Toshiba 4TB 7200RPM drive costs $120, for comparison.

As for noise levels, I couldn't find a review of that exact model. Techreport did a review of the 2TB 7200RPM model and they found it very quiet. I would assume the 4TB 5400RPM model would be just as quiet if not even quieter due to the lower RPM.

List your build, and I'll see if I can't find ways to turn it into an i5 with a GTX 970.

I wouldn't buy into the FX processor line even if DX12 promised better multi-thread support and less overhead. DX11 also made some promises about better multi-thread scaling that didn't really come to light. It's still up to the game developers to properly develop the game to scale and divide workloads more efficiently.

Also, the FX line is a few years old and won't receive any new updates, that alone makes them hard to recommend in the first place. In most games of today, the FX-8320 is matched or beaten by the Intel i3 processor. I hate to say it, but for over 5 years people have been saying that developers will properly incorporate multi-threaded support in most applications. It's been that long and things are still mostly reliant on high single core performance. By the time true multi-threading support is widely implemented, I think it'll be a bit late for the FX lineup.

Thx for the help! The thing is, I really like the 960 cause its size + power needed, I live in mexico so its pretty hot down here during summer, and I guess the 960 won't heat cause the power consumption thing.

I'll look into the r9 290 tough!

I'm talking about this one.

I'm wondering, if you're in Mexico, are you looking at local stores for your parts, or will you be ordering from that Amazon link?

Dartastic

My case arrived from New Egg.

m7xYidwl.jpg

p31CkQ7l.jpg

Fuck. Now to ship it back and wait for them to process the return and ship out a new case. :(

Mine01

I'm wondering, if you're in Mexico, are you looking at local stores for your parts, or will you be ordering from that Amazon link?

Well that same card is like 300$ here, so probably I'll order that from amazon from one of those box&mail places.

Chesskid1

Banned

I use this guide whenever i reinstall windows 7 on my SSD.

Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

windows 8
http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

very useful, shrinking pagefiles, removing hibernation files, shrinking windows restore, etc. i never use hibernation so i removed it using that guide and it gave me a couple GBs no problem.

Methos#1975

Maybe someone here can help me with this issue. Pretty every game I play full-screen is randomly minimizing and my PC goes back to the DT. I can click on the game where it minimized to the start bar to go back to it, but in a min or two it will do it again.Very frustrating. Its only used for gaming, so outside a few programs like Spotify, Chrome, Xpadder, etc, there isn't much on it outside the service clients for Steam and Origin. I assume a program is stealing focus, but I cannot find out which. But when I open the task manager after it happens, it will show 80-90% of the CPU being used for a split second. Any ideas?

Maybe someone here can help me with this issue. Pretty every game I play full-screen is randomly minimizing and my PC goes back to the DT. I can click on the game where it minimized to the start bar to go back to it, but in a min or two it will do it again.Very frustrating. Its only used for gaming, so outside a few programs like Spotify, Chrome, Xpadder, etc, there isn't much on it outside the service clients for Steam and Origin. I assume a program is stealing focus, but I cannot find out which. But when I open the task manager after it happens, it will show 80-90% of the CPU being used for a split second. Any ideas?

Try closing all the extra programs.. does it still do it?

Okay, here's a strange thing. When I plug my EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 into my EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS Power Supply BIOS will not appear when I hold delete. However, the second I unplug my GTX from the PSU and run the system then BIOS will appear when I hold down delete. Why is this happening?

EDIT: I have the monitor connected to the mobo via VGA and connected to the GTX 970 via HDMI.

Some updates: Here is the BIOS Graphics settings by default: http://imgur.com/rgswyTI

Thus, even if auto it would still try to do the PCI-E graphics if the GTX 970 was plugged in.

In addition, if I try to save the BIOS and force PCIE using the only save option "Save BIOS and restart," this is what happens:

1. Computer restarts, I turn it off so I can plug in GTX 970
2. Turn computer on. BIOS doesn't come up.
3. Turn off computer, unplug GTX 970
4. Turn computer back on and BIOS comes up.
5. Go to BIOS settings and the Primary Display option has defaulted back to Auto.

EDIT 2: If I only keep the VGA in the mobo (unplug HDMI to GTX 970), but plug in the GTX 970 to the PSU I still cannot get BIOS on boot.

lem0n

Hi guys! I'm thinking about building a computer for my girlfriend. She will be using it for Photoshop, web browsing, and some gaming. Mainly Bethesda titles, and Dragon Age Inquisition. She said she would like to run PCSX2 as well, but I'm not sure that will be doable? It will be going in the living room, because she will be using the big-screen TV as her monitor. How is this build? We're on a pretty strict budget. Any tweaks you would make?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FrFqJx

Okay, here's a strange thing. When I plug my EVGA GEFORCE GTX 970 into my EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS Power Supply BIOS will not appear when I hold delete. However, the second I unplug my GTX from the PSU and run the system then BIOS will appear when I hold down delete. Why is this happening?

EDIT: I have the monitor connected to the mobo via VGA and connected to the GTX 970 via HDMI.

Some updates: Here is the BIOS Graphics settings by default: http://imgur.com/rgswyTI

Thus, even if auto it would still try to do the PCI-E graphics if the GTX 970 was plugged in.

In addition, if I try to save the BIOS and force PCIE using the only save option "Save BIOS and restart," this is what happens:

1. Computer restarts, I turn it off so I can plug in GTX 970
2. Turn computer on. BIOS doesn't come up.
3. Turn off computer, unplug GTX 970
4. Turn computer back on and BIOS comes up.
5. Go to BIOS settings and the Primary Display option has defaulted back to Auto.

EDIT 2: If I only keep the VGA in the mobo (unplug HDMI to GTX 970), but plug in the GTX 970 to the PSU I still cannot get BIOS on boot.
Disconnect the VGA cable from your motherboard, restart with HDMI plugged into your graphics card.

Disconnect the VGA cable from your motherboard, restart with HDMI plugged into your graphics card.

Somehow, I got it working. Wasn't disconnecting the VGA cable though. I swapped PCI-E cables since the PSU came with two of them, and that worked. Although, both of them were supplying power to the GTX 970 since the fans were spinning. I'm not really sure how I fixed it, all I know is that it's working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom