• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

well.. anyone knows what broken component could cause this?

I was playing euro truck simulator 2 when suddenly the screen became like this

It was basically frozen so I restarted the PC and now it shows this after the windows booting animation

My pc can't get past the zebra screen

Probably dead GPU, specs?

Fragment

@ kudoboi

That is definitely video card related.

It very well could be one of 5 issues.

1) Dead video card
2) Corrupted drivers
3) Damaged display port
4) Power supply (not enough power)
5) bad cables

If your motherboard came with an integrated graphics output like an HDMI or something and your CPU has built in GPU you can try booting up by disconnecting your monitor from your main graphics card and connecting your monitor to the motherboard.

If not you can try booting up in Safe Mode of windows which will run with basic VGA drivers. If this works remove your old drivers and adapter and reinstall new ones.

Check what the power requirements are for your video card and what your power supply is outputting.

The way to fix this issue is simply to go down a checklist and try different things

Fragment

well it could be more than 5 but those are the most likely.

Also check your PC and make sure the GPU didnt come lose or something from the PCI slot.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
well.. anyone knows what broken component could cause this?

I was playing euro truck simulator 2 when suddenly the screen became like this

It was basically frozen so I restarted the PC and now it shows this after the windows booting animation

My pc can't get past the zebra screen

It's dead, Jim. Same happened to me, pretty sure it's the GPU.

Crisium

Since my current setup is getting old, I'm considering on doing a gradual upgrade, but I don't know where to start.
Here is my situation:

CPU AMD FX-6100 6-Core 3.3GHz AM3+ 8MB Cache 95W
RAM DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
Case Midi Cooler Master Elite 370
VGA Club 3d Ati AMD Radeon HD 6850 Core 775MHz Memory GDDR5 4000MHz 1GB
Motherboard Asrock 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX
HDD Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
PSU iTek Super Silent Power 700W

What should I upgrade first? CPU, GPU, SSD? I use this setup mainly for gaming and some emulation (not too much since I discovered too late that AMD is not the best for emulation).
Let's say the budget is around 200 euros.
I've never done OC and I don't think I would do it, and I don't have a preference between AMD or Nvidia.
Thank you in advance :)

Ouch, I really think you need a new mobo + CPU + gpu. But not for that budget. Even going from a 6100 to a 6300 or 8300 series only gets you minor improvement. You need an Intel for real gaming. That being said, going with a new GPU now will net you the biggest increase in performance, but just know when looking at benchmarks they are done with an i7, so you will be behind.

A Radeon 280X is the best GPU for your budget from a performance standpoint. That being said, AMD is coming out with new GPUs very soon so it may pay to wait to see what the 380, 370X, and 370 retail bring to the table. Ideally there will be something roughly equivalent to the 285 (Tonga) but with more than 2GB. You really want more than 2GB these days. 280X 3GB is one heck of a workhorse for the price, but it is an aging one.

Mets9

Ouch, I really think you need a new mobo + CPU + gpu. But not for that budget. Even going from a 6100 to a 6300 or 8300 series only gets you minor improvement. You need an Intel for real gaming. That being said, going with a new GPU now will net you the biggest increase in performance, but just know when looking at benchmarks they are done with an i7, so you will be behind.

A Radeon 280X is the best GPU for your budget from a performance standpoint. That being said, AMD is coming out with new GPUs very soon so it may pay to wait to see what the 380, 370X, and 370 retail bring to the table. Ideally there will be something roughly equivalent to the 285 (Tonga) but with more than 2GB. You really want more than 2GB these days. 280X 3GB is one heck of a workhorse for the price, but it is an aging one.

Of course, the budget is not meant for a (almost) whole new setup :)
When is AMD announcing the new GPUs? Summer?
Because I probably can wait and see what will come.
Aside from that, is it viable a gradual update (maybe gpu first, then cpu + mobo, and last an SSD + more ram)?

kudoboi

@ kudoboi

That is definitely video card related.

It very well could be one of 5 issues.

1) Dead video card
2) Corrupted drivers
3) Damaged display port
4) Power supply (not enough power)
5) bad cables

If your motherboard came with an integrated graphics output like an HDMI or something and your CPU has built in GPU you can try booting up by disconnecting your monitor from your main graphics card and connecting your monitor to the motherboard.

If not you can try booting up in Safe Mode of windows which will run with basic VGA drivers. If this works remove your old drivers and adapter and reinstall new ones.

Check what the power requirements are for your video card and what your power supply is outputting.

The way to fix this issue is simply to go down a checklist and try different things
F8 doesnt work for me. How would I go about on booting it up to safe mode then? my motherboard does not have a HDMI output either

so everything before windows looks fine?

yup. Things only start glitching out after the windows boot animation.

Crisium

Mid June they will announce new cards that should be on the shelves before the end of that month.

And yes, that's the upgrade path I would follow. I wouldn't even worry about the RAM for a while.

Fragment

Aside from that, is it viable a gradual update (maybe gpu first, then cpu + mobo, and last an SSD + more ram)?

The new GPUs are supposedly going to be released late June. Many people are expecting AMD to showcase them during their conference at E3.

One of the reasons people seem to think AMD has been quiet in releasing info on the GPU's is that NVIDIAs new flagship GPU Titan X has 12gb of ram and their upcoming answer to the 390's the 980TI is going to have a minimum of 6gb of ram. Wheras the 390x was rumored to be launching with 4gb of HBM... and even though the 4GB of HBM is able to handle more bandwidth having a 4gb card going up against a 6gb & 12 gb card make it look like an inferior item. I assume the delay is them trying to figure out if they can somehow get 8gb of HBM onto their flagship.

Mets9

Then I'll wait the E3 (or whenever AMD announces new cards) to decide, maybe I'll be able to increase the budget then and get a better card/upgrade more components at once.
(and I'll be here again for help :p)
Thanks to everyone :D

Fragment

@ kudoboi

Which version of windows are you using?

try spamming the f8 key from the moment you power on your PC (before the windows logo screen comes up).. you can also try F5 which is Safe Mode with networking support.

If you're using windows 8/7 you can put your install disc into your cd drive and boot your PC from the disc.

You'll get an option to chose your keyboard layout then the option to REPAIR your computer. Chose repair then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced > Startup settings and click restart. When your PC restarts press F4 at the startup settings screen to boot into Safe Mode.

Devildoll

F8 doesnt work for me. How would I go about on booting it up to safe mode then? my motherboard does not have a HDMI output either

yup. Things only start glitching out after the windows boot animation.

As already suggested, safemode is probably the next step to test.
If uefi looks perfect, the windows specific display driver might have permanently shat itself.

remaking your multi monitor config from scratch might be worth a shot too.

ZerotypeX

Hello PCGAF

I have been playing my PC more than my consoles recently and saw on slickdeals a Radeon R9 280 card $180 ($150 after codes and rebates)
http://slickdeals.net/f/7860285-sap...e-shipping?page=2&rpid=76029337&rp=3#comments

I've been playing a lot of Payday 2 mostly, nothing really to graphic intensive. My current build is:
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition (3.5Ghz)/ 8 gigs of 1600 DDR3/ ASUS M4A87TD/ Radeon HD 6850/ 650W PSU

I was wondering if I should upgrade my GPU to the R9 280 or just hold off and build something better later down the road?

kudoboi

@ kudoboi

Which version of windows are you using?

try spamming the f8 key from the moment you power on your PC (before the windows logo screen comes up).. you can also try F5 which is Safe Mode with networking support.

If you're using windows 8/7 you can put your install disc into your cd drive and boot your PC from the disc.

You'll get an option to chose your keyboard layout then the option to REPAIR your computer. Chose repair then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced > Startup settings and click restart. When your PC restarts press F4 at the startup settings screen to boot into Safe Mode.

windows 8.1. I managed to get into the repair screen using my windows 8 disc but none of my clicks are registering. clicking on power off or troubleshoot does nothing

Crisium

Hello PCGAF

I have been playing my PC more than my consoles recently and saw on slickdeals a Radeon R9 280 card $180 ($150 after codes and rebates)
http://slickdeals.net/f/7860285-sap...e-shipping?page=2&rpid=76029337&rp=3#comments

I've been playing a lot of Payday 2 mostly, nothing really to graphic intensive. My current build is:
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition (3.5Ghz)/ 8 gigs of 1600 DDR3/ ASUS M4A87TD/ Radeon HD 6850/ 650W PSU

I was wondering if I should upgrade my GPU to the R9 280 or just hold off and build something better later down the road?

It's really the same thing for you as Mets9. You need a new mobo and Intel CPU. Otherwise a new GPU will help you of course but you will still be held back.

mkenyon

Banned
But seriously guys...

What's MSI's reliability/warranty like?

I'm looking at getting 2 gtx 980's and want blower style coolers. The MSI ones are the only ones I can find near me but I have no experience with them as a manufacturer.
3 years based on serial # just like the rest of the big AIBs.

spinz

Posting from my new build now, and i want to thank everyone who provided input :)

Also curious for opinions: one of the pins on my motherboard for the usb 3.0 connector was bent flat. I dont need to use those usb ports (and theres still 3.0 in the back).. But is there a possibility that the flat pin could somehow harm the motherboard further? I honestly dont know if the pin came flat, or if i somehow did it. But the prospect of taking everything apart again is not a fun one... especially when everything is running silent and cold :)

rogue74

Look at my post a page back. I was in a very similar situation to you. Your 6850 is about the same level as the Nvidia 460 I had. I have an AMD Phenom II 965 CPU. I upgraded to a 960 and am so far pretty pleased. Massive jump in performance.

Obviously a whole new Intel based setup is best, but if all you have is $200, like I did, go for it. The 280X recommendation is a good one. Even the slightly slower 280/960 will give you a massive boost.

M.D

I want to overclock my G1 GTX 970 in preparation for The Witcher 3

Got EVGA Precision X from Steam, what should I do now? ;p

Any user with a lower end CPU should be avoiding an AMD GPU. AMD's slow DX11 drivers mean greater overhead and bigger CPU bottlenecks. Digital Foundry have proven that an R9 280x can drop below even a 750Ti in CPU demanding games when paired with a lower end CPU.

Go for a GTX 960 and just as importantly OC that chip until it weaps. You'll want 4ghz+ clock speed to prevent the main thread from crippling performance in DX11 titles.

LilJoka

dont have exact specs with me but..

intel core i7 2600K
16 GB RAM
Acer OEM motherboard
MSI HD7870 2GB
nope.

If motherboard has onboard video outputs, remove GPU and try those.

I want to overclock my G1 GTX 970 in preparation for The Witcher 3

Got EVGA Precision X from Steam, what should I do now? ;p

Just increase the power limit to 110%, and temp limit to about 80c.
Then start off with +100 on core and +100 on memory.

Use the on screen display to show the clock speeds in game. Use GTA V or Far Cry 4 to test. Those are prone to GPU instability. If it doesnt crash just keep going up. Keep in mind, the clocks increase in steps of 13Mhz, so dont be surprised if 10Mhz doesnt do anything as you may not be switching into the next clock bin. You can OC in 13Mhz increments if you like.

Unigene Heaven is also pretty good to test with, but not the end all test.

Obviously test with all fps caps disabled, such as vsync or any caps through rivatuner.

Most will get to about 1400Mhz core and 3800Mhz Memory.

You can play with the Voltage too, but as the clocks go up, the voltage also scales, so adding 0.01v at stock will have a different effect at a higher clock bin. And this can be counter intuitive since there is a power limit. So start with 0v Voltage offset. Once you find reasonable clocks, then play with the voltage keeping an eye on the Power Limit %age. If you hit the limit the card will clock down a little and lose some voltage. So its a bit of a balancing act.

You dont need to increase voltage if the clock speeds are already stable. Only increase if a clock speed is realistically attainable but not stable at stock volts.

Itll also downclock a little at 60c and then again at 70c. I would test with the fan profile you will be using for gaming, as cooling will skew results.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Still looking for some feedback on the below. Gotten one suggestion, but that's been it so far. Probably going to be doing it next week, so more thoughts on anything are appreciated!

Hey PCGAF!

I'm looking to put together a relatively inexpensive desktop as a backup to my main computer
(which is a laptop hooked to a trackball, keyboard, and monitor >.>)

Next week I'm getting the following parts, thanks to a trade with an awesome GAFfer:

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
GT640 2GB Graphics Card

So, I think that leaves...
A case
Power Supply
RAM
Hard Drive
OS
Am I missing anything else?...

I got a 400W ATX power supply (Dynex. As I said, this is a budget build)
I should be able to get Windows 8 through my school...
And, I have a couple of 240GB Seagate 600 SSDs that I could use for the hard drives...

So, that leaves:
A case
RAM
Anything else?

Hoping someone can link me to some decent parts that I can use to complete the build for around $100...
As well as make sure I don't run into any issues with the wattage or size or configuration or such.

Thanks a bunch =)
REPLACE YOUR POWER SUPPLY. GET A VP450 OR CORSAIR FOR CHEAP
Source 210 for case or one of the really cheap Antecs
RAM is RAM
Do you have/need DVD Drive?

The Llama

Any user with a lower end CPU should be avoiding an AMD GPU. AMD's slow DX11 drivers mean greater overhead and bigger CPU bottlenecks. Digital Foundry have proven that an R9 280x can drop below even a 750Ti in CPU demanding games when paired with a lower end CPU.

Go for a GTX 960 and just as importantly OC that chip until it weaps. You'll want 4ghz+ clock speed to prevent the main thread from crippling performance in DX11 titles.

Pretty sure the average framerate of the 280x was still significantly higher than the 750ti, but true, it dropped lower than the 750ti at times.

Vitor711

Guys - quick build question:

My room, when dry in the winter, had CRAZY static electricity. Like, if I moved my hands over my white sheets, I'd see the room light up from the sparks.

It's better now in the summer, but I'm still paranoid. Should I build the desktop upstairs where it's more humid? Or would I be fine with an anti-static wrist-band?

terrisus

REPLACE YOUR POWER SUPPLY. GET A VP450 OR CORSAIR FOR CHEAP
Source 210 for case or one of the really cheap Antecs
RAM is RAM
Do you have/need DVD Drive?

Hah. I got that PSU off a GAF member for like $25, because I figured why not.
Other than the brand difference, is there going to be much issue with the PSU powering the system?
I guess it's not something that I really should cheap around with, but then, this is a cheap build anyway >.>

Don't need a DVD drive, that's something I could always connect up an external one if I needed it or something.

And, I'll check out those cases. I guess that's the biggest piece left missing at this point anyway.

Thanks for your feedback, and I definitely appreciate any more =)

M.D

If motherboard has onboard video outputs, remove GPU and try those.

Just increase the power limit to 110%, and temp limit to about 80c.
Then start off with +100 on core and +100 on memory.

Use the on screen display to show the clock speeds in game. Use GTA V or Far Cry 4 to test. Those are prone to GPU instability. If it doesnt crash just keep going up. Keep in mind, the clocks increase in steps of 13Mhz, so dont be surprised if 10Mhz doesnt do anything as you may not be switching into the next clock bin. You can OC in 13Mhz increments if you like.

Unigene Heaven is also pretty good to test with, but not the end all test.

Obviously test with all fps caps disabled, such as vsync or any caps through rivatuner.

Most will get to about 1400Mhz core and 3800Mhz Memory.

You can play with the Voltage too, but as the clocks go up, the voltage also scales, so adding 0.01v at stock will have a different effect at a higher clock bin. And this can be counter intuitive since there is a power limit. So start with 0v Voltage offset. Once you find reasonable clocks, then play with the voltage keeping an eye on the Power Limit %age. If you hit the limit the card will clock down a little and lose some voltage. So its a bit of a balancing act.

You dont need to increase voltage if the clock speeds are already stable. Only increase if a clock speed is realistically attainable but not stable at stock volts.

Itll also downclock a little at 60c and then again at 70c. I would test with the fan profile you will be using for gaming, as cooling will skew results.

Thanks for the detailed explanation !

mulac

Did you actually buy the components for these prices? Because most of them seem outrageous. $480 for the mainboard, §1300 for the monitor

These are in AUD and no i didnt . Got a good reduction on the monitor.
Welcome to the screwed up world of Australian tech prices :(

Fragment

windows 8.1. I managed to get into the repair screen using my windows 8 disc but none of my clicks are registering. clicking on power off or troubleshoot does nothing

Using your mouse or the keyboard? Try navigating the menu using your keyboard only. Can you move your mouse cursor / does it appear at all? Can you boot into your bios by pushing the delete button when your computer starts up?

If you are having problems with keyboard/mouse inputs (which would explain F8 not working) when you boot up your PC, then the problem might be worse than a corrupt driver issue. Could be faulty I/O interfaces on your motherboard and not your GPU thats to blame for the troubles.

Do you have a PS2 or USB keyboard? If USB try another USB slot. Testing another keyboard may also be a good idea.

Hopefully the motherboard isnt damaged but right now it's possible that either your motherboard or the GPU is the issue, based on the information you've provided so far.

With Windows 10 on the horizon i dont think its that much of an issue buying a decent AMD GPU on an AMD CPU.

There will still be many DX11 titles released and people aren't going to stop playing current DX11 titles overnight. If you're on a low end CPU, you don't want to make it even slower by choosing an AMD GPU. You're just increasing the CPU bottleneck.

Sticking to Nvidia is a way to coax a little more longevity out of a low end CPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hah. I got that PSU off a GAF member for like $25, because I figured why not.
Other than the brand difference, is there going to be much issue with the PSU powering the system?
I guess it's not something that I really should cheap around with, but then, this is a cheap build anyway >.>

Don't need a DVD drive, that's something I could always connect up an external one if I needed it or something.

And, I'll check out those cases. I guess that's the biggest piece left missing at this point anyway.

Thanks for your feedback, and I definitely appreciate any more =)
You should replace the PSU unless for some reason the Dynex OEM is actually good which I doubt (A review from 2008 seems that it's not suicide worthy at least), still... look for a $25 MIR deal on a branded PSU when the chance shows up if you can.

Remark

Banned
How much would it cost me to build a PC ground up with a mid-range GPU but a good CPU and PSU. I just want something strong that can be upgradable (mainly GPU-wise).

Planning on building my first PC from the ground up this summer so I want to plan ahead :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
How much would it cost me to build a PC ground up with a mid-range GPU but a good CPU and PSU. I just want something strong that can be upgradable (mainly GPU-wise).

Planning on building my first PC from the ground up this summer so I want to plan ahead :)
Exactly what the Great build is. You can bump up PSU one tier, or go i7 if you will hold onto the system for a long time.

terrisus

You should replace the PSU unless for some reason the Dynex OEM is actually good which I doubt (A review from 2008 seems that it's not suicide worthy at least), still... look for a $25 MIR deal on a branded PSU when the chance shows up if you can.

Blah. And here I thought I'd actually taken care of another piece of the build >.>

OK, my Radeon 6850 getting just plain old, I am pretty tempted by the GTX960 Witcher bundle... Someone talk me out of it or alternatively be a consumerist enabler.

CPU is a i5 2500k, Asus P8Z68-V LX Mobo, 8gigs of 1600 ram... Figure I'll be replacing those sometime within the year-ish. In the meantime I probably have some room to juice up the CPU a bit, and that new cooler suggestion might be the way to go.

kennah

OK, my Radeon 6850 getting just plain old, I am pretty tempted by the GTX960 Witcher bundle... Someone talk me out of it or alternatively be a consumerist enabler.

CPU is a i5 2500k, Asus P8Z68-V LX Mobo, 8gigs of 1600 ram... Figure I'll be replacing those sometime within the year-ish. In the meantime I probably have some room to juice up the CPU a bit, and that new cooler suggestion might be the way to go.
Get a 970 instead.

Vardhan

Hey guys, I would like to buy a prebuilt gaming PC for the TV.

I have been looking into the VenomX SYBER and was wondering what kind of specs I would need in order to play current generation games like The Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight. I do not know much about specs as I have only played games on a laptop (and of course consoles). If you can click the link and come up with specs that would let me play at 1080 60fps min (do not care about 4K or 60fps+), that would be wonderful.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Oh right, forgot to mention a budget. How about less than $1,500?

Also if you think there are better, cheaper prebuilt gaming PCs out there, please let me know!

Mystic654

I have a few quick questions about Corsair H110i GT and 780T Case.

1. With H110i GT, are the fans that come have a good performance and quiet?
2. If not would it be a good idea to grab SP Quiet Edition fans?
3. Is it worth doing a push/pull configuration with H110iGT? Don't want to much noise.
4. Any compatibility issues I should know about if I use SP fans with H110i GT? Like working with Corsair Link.

5. With Corsair 780T case, are the stock fans that come with the case have a good performance and quiet?
6. If not would it be a good idea to grab AF Quiet Edition fans?

paskowitz

Just out of curiosity, is a 4.9Mhz overclock at 1.33v a good overclock for a 4790k? I am running an H100i. I do not want to push my CPU too far just to hit 5Mhz. Is 1.33v "safe" (for gaming. I'll turn it down for regular use)?

I know they seem to get a bad rap compared to Intel CPU's, but can anybody recommend using an AMD CPU for long-term gaming (IE not replacing for it for awhile)? I currently have an i5-2500k, but my motherboard broke and since the CPU itself is already pretty old I kind of don't want to buy another LGA 1155 MB that won't support a newer chip down the road.

I was looking at either an FX-6300 or the FX-8320 if the performance increase is worth the price.

I know they seem to get a bad rap compared to Intel CPU's, but can anybody recommend using an AMD CPU for long-term gaming (IE not replacing for it for awhile)? I currently have an i5-2500k, but my motherboard broke and since the CPU itself is already pretty old I kind of don't want to buy another LGA 1155 MB that won't support a newer chip down the road.

I was looking at either an FX-6300 or the FX-8320 if the performance increase is worth the price.

No, there is no logical reason to recommend an AMD CPU.

If you can afford the CPU and motherboard, what's your maximum budget?

Josman

Well AMD will also release a new architecture next year so whatever CPU you buy from them won't be compatible with newer boards

longdi

Banned
Just out of curiosity, is a 4.9Mhz overclock at 1.33v a good overclock for a 4790k? I am running an H100i. I do not want to push my CPU too far just to hit 5Mhz. Is 1.33v "safe" (for gaming. I'll turn it down for regular use)?

It can be considered very good!
Though i would try to tune to max 1.28-1.3v, and at maybe 4.7-4.8Ghz, cause 4790K gets insanely hot on load, and 1.3v is already high.

Try run a quick stress of Asus Realbench apps and see where you load temps sit at for 4.9Ghz. Then work out from there.

No, there is no logical reason to recommend an AMD CPU.

If you can afford the CPU and motherboard, what's your maximum budget?
I'm not trying to spend too much (Maybe under $600) and that's factoring in me spending the $300 or so for a 970. I recently sold several parts from my rig a few months ago since the CPU/MB stopped working and regret the decision so I'm trying to buy some parts to build a new one.

Alongside the CPU/Motherboard I'll need to buy RAM, a CPU Cooler, and maybe a case as well. My logic was that I figured an AMD CPU would be the best bang for my buck without spending a lot of money and that way I could invest in a more powerful GPU instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom