• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopeford

I was thinking about upgrading my CPU, but I'm honestly pretty bad at knowing what I have to buy. I'm not planning on going above 1920/1080p anytime soon, mind. Mostly looking into upgrading my pc to at least keep up with current gen consoles. Could anyone tell me what I'll have to upgrade?

This is what my current PC is:

Intel core it 3450 @ 3.10 ghz

GTX 660 ti

16gb ram.

Right now, what should I make a priority to upgrade? My graphics card or my CPU?

mkenyon

Banned
alternative? i like the asus motherboards and currently have an older i5.
here's what i'm currently sporting (havent yet installed the 980 or new psu):

case = cosair carbide 500r black
cpu = intel core i5 4670
graphics = galaxy geforce gtx 760 2tb
ram = g skill ares f3 8gb (2x4gb)
psu = corsair cx-500 modular bronze
mobo = asrock z87 extreme4
hd = sandisk ultra plus 128gb ssd + seagate baracuda 2tb
Buy a 4690K or 4790K. That'll give you the same performance as the 5820K (which despite being a thousand higher in number, is quite literally the same architecture - Haswell) without needing to touch a single other thing in your system.
I was thinking about upgrading my CPU, but I'm honestly pretty bad at knowing what I have to buy. I'm not planning on going above 1920/1080p anytime soon, mind. Mostly looking into upgrading my pc to at least keep up with current gen consoles. Could anyone tell me what I'll have to upgrade?

This is what my current PC is:

Intel core it 3450 @ 3.10 ghz

GTX 660 ti

16gb ram.

Right now, what should I make a priority to upgrade? My graphics card or my CPU?
You'll get way more benefit out of upgrading the video card than the processor, since you have a fairly recent i5. What kind of motherboard do you have?

mulac

Buy a 4690K or 4790K. That'll give you the same performance as the 5820K (which despite being a thousand higher in number, is quite literally the same architecture - Haswell) without needing to touch a single other thing in your system.

You'll get way more benefit out of upgrading the video card than the processor, since you have a fairly recent i5. What kind of motherboard do you have?

no new mobo? then i will have the ultra-gaming ninja pc :)

i do have a spot of spare cash lying around so want to upgrade the motherboard...

mkenyon

Banned
no new mobo? then i will have the ultra-gaming ninja pc :)

i do have a spot of spare cash lying around so want to upgrade the motherboard...
That's fine, but know that you will literally get zero benefit out of it.
I was going to get Cooler Master Cosmos 2, However I ran into a issue. The area where my PC sits can only go upto 20 inches. Cosmos is 27 inches. I have to rule that case out.

Does anyone have know of a good PC case around 20 inches? It has to house Asus Rampage V Extreme, the Corsair H100i GTX or H110i GT, Titan X, one SSD Drive and three mechanical Harddrives. I'm going for quiet PC setup. Also need three bays infront.
Wait wait.

Requirements: 240mm or 280mm rad space, three mechanical HDDs, one SSD, and THREE 5.25" bays?

*edit*

If that is the case, this is what you're looking for. It's also available in a non-window version for cheaper.

*edit 2* damn, wait, that's 21".....

You absolutely set on the three 5.25" expansion bays?

RGM79

So earlier in the thread I posted specs for a system I wanted to build. Some issues have come up that make it impossible to spend that much money at the moment. I still wanted to get tangible upgrade for my Phenom II X4 965 build from 2010 to tide me over.

I decided on getting an EVGA 960 4GB card. I know that the 280X is recommended here more often in that price range, but I went with the 960 for a few reasons:

* Size. Looking at the size of my case and how much space my 460 was taking up, I didn't see much room for those monster 11.5 inch AMD cards.

* Power. I have an OCZ 700w power supply. The specs for the XFX 280X say I should have a 750W power supply. While I think that may be an exaggeration I didn't want to take the chance.

* Drivers. I don't have anything against trying AMD even though I have had an Nvidia card since 2000. But I don't like AMD driver release schedule. Nvidia seems to be on top of things with new releases. Look at what is going on with Project Cars. I also have read that Nvidia drivers have lower overhead and are better with weaker processors.

* Free Witcher 3, which I really wanted to play and planned to buy anyway.

I didn't go for anything more powerful like a 970 because of price and because I thought my CPU wouldn't take full advantage of it.

So I had some gift card money on Amazon and got the card for about $160. Free game included. I see in another thread that the 960 can run Witcher 3 at 1080p at high settings. Not sure what CPU was used to test though.

On top of that I overclocked my Phenom to 3.8ghz to give me a little more power.

I don't know...maybe I just want to feel better about what I did but does my reasoning make sense? Or did I throw away money? I'm figuring I should see a huge improvement over my circa 2010 GTX 460.

Card arrives tonight. BTW I'm game at 1080P and am happy with rock solid 30fps with high (just below ultra) settings. This should still be far superior to a PS4.

Not everything has to be about best possible performance, and the GTX 960 isn't awful or anything. It just wasn't what most people expected, some were hoping for a bit more performance and graphics memory when the GTX 960 was announced with fairly conservative specs.

So...the tech people called me 5 minutes ago and it's confirmed that i have to change the MOBO since it's gone

Should i go for another one of these? I'm kinda shocked at how it was dead 3 months after my purchase :/

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Socket 1150

Only different thing in my system is gonna be a 970 MSI (from a Vapor x 290) if it means anything

Sucks that it died. What happened, exactly?

Odd question but any chance if I upgrade from my 7950 3GB to a 970 that from room wouldn't get nearly as warm? I swear it the temperature in my room goes up 5 degrees Fahrenheit whenever I play GTA 5

The GTX 970 is supposed to draw less wattage and could put out less heat. How different will depend on which models of cards you are comparing, you could look up reviews for the cards to see what temperatures are like.

Mystic654

That's fine, but know that you will literally get zero benefit out of it.

Wait wait.

Requirements: 240mm or 280mm rad space, three mechanical HDDs, one SSD, and THREE 5.25" bays?

*edit*

If that is the case, this is what you're looking for. It's also available in a non-window version for cheaper.

*edit 2* damn, wait, that's 21".....

You absolutely set on the three 5.25" expansion bays?

Yes, I need them, unless the PC has a built in Fan controller. Then I only need two. Later tonight going to see if I can remove a bar on my desk which will give me another 6 inches.

hodgy100

It's 60Hz shy of being quality :p

Are there any ips 120hz+ monitors with freesync. for not much more money?

I've got one. I like it. The Freesync window is really narrow so it may take a moment to mess with settings to hit it just right. For games that blow past 75Hz constantly I use RadeonPro as a framerate limiter set to 74Hz. With Freesync off its a 60Hz panel, with Freesync on it goes from 48-75. Hitting 48 is rough. There's a small amount of ghosting but I've only ever noticed it when moving the mouse across a static dark background. It's never stood out to me in game.

I was looking for a decently priced ultrawide IPS screen so the Freesync was just an added bonus for me. Its narrow window hasn't really been problematic; but this is the first adaptive refresh monitor I've used so I don't have a point of reference.

Also, being an IPS panel the colors really pop. It's hard to watch my TV now...
yeha my main reasons for choosing this would be ips and freesync for a decent price, even if the freesync is limited.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. Acer XG270HU. That should techincally be cheaper than the one you linked.
Yes, I need them. Later tonight going to see if I can remove a bar on my desk which will give me another 6 inches.
Could go for a cube-type case like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133275&ignorebbr=1

Otherwise, this is a great option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012&ignorebbr=1

Mystic654

Yep. Acer XG270HU. That should techincally be cheaper than the one you linked.

Could go for a cube-type case like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133275&ignorebbr=1

Otherwise, this is a great option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012&ignorebbr=1

I removed the bar from my desk which gave me exactly 27 Inches in Height. Still not enough for Cosmos 2.

I think I'll go with Corsair 780T (Black Edition), unless theirs a better option?

Link: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case

Specs says 25 Inches so I should be good. Plus it has a fan controller built in.

-------

This may be a bit pre-mature and a bit subjective, Going ask anyways.

Those who used Windows 10 already in preview program, What is best OS to use. Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10? I had a horrible time with Windows 8.1, Windows 8 kept timing out everytime I was browsing the web. I had to keep hitting reload before page would actually load.

Can anyone tell me why when I booted up my PC just now it said scanning and repairing C: drive? It only took a minute but I have an SSD. Also, earlier today a bad thunderstorm came through and fried my router due to a bolt that struck near my house. PC was off though. I booted it up then and everything was fine and turned it off. I just turned it back on and that popped up. Never seen it do it before but everything appears fine. Cause for concern?

It was plugged into the router with an ethernet cord. The router comes on but it keeps resetting itself over and over no matter what I've tried...so I think it has a damaged power supply or something. Could've been damaged in the power surge before the lightning bolt too but it's plugged into a surge protector. Nothing else in the house was damaged so maybe the router isn't fried I'm just not resetting it right(although I'm pretty sure I did because I ever factory reset it). Kinda weird. Anyways, I'm hoping Windows 8 only did that scan because I came from a cold boot and maybe the SSD wasn't fully powered up or something simple like that. Never noticed anything before.

I don't care about the router I just hope my PC isn't damaged.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
CX8TgXm.gif

Devildoll

MSI had that video up on their youtube channel for quite some time.
I don't understand how no one in the process of making it said stop.

Same guy seems to work with their graphics cards though.

But they recently replaced it with this video, which is better.

mkenyon

Banned
I removed the bar from my desk which gave me exactly 27 Inches in Height. Still not enough for Cosmos 2.

I think I'll go with Corsair 780T (Black Edition), unless theirs a better option?

Link: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-series-780t-full-tower-pc-case

Specs says 25 Inches so I should be good. Plus it has a fan controller built in.

-------

This may be a bit pre-mature and a bit subjective, Going ask anyways.

Those who used Windows 10 already in preview program, What is best OS to use. Windows 7 Pro or Windows 10? I had a horrible time with Windows 8.1, Windows 8 kept timing out everytime I was browsing the web. I had to keep hitting reload before page would actually load.
Well, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro and/or Primo I think is a better overall product. Especially for the price.
MSI had that video up on their youtube channel for quite some time.
I don't understand how no one in the process of making it said stop.

Same guy seems to work with their graphics cards though.

Ahh, but this one is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvNnv7nh2Es

Zia

Q: so, I feel that with the VR headsets on their way I need to break away from the once-every-three years iMac upgrade and build a PC. Any idea when the best time to build would be, anytime before the Vive is released?

RGM79

Q: so, I feel that with the VR headsets on their way I need to break away from the once-every-three years iMac upgrade and build a PC. Any idea when the best time to build would be, anytime before the Vive is released?

We're a bit more than a month away from new graphics card releases and a bit less than half a year away from Intel's new Skylake processor release, so if you can hold on I'd think it's worth waiting for those. The HTC Vive isn't expected to release until near the end of this year.

Performance-wise Skylake probably isn't expected to be that much better, but there would be improvements in terms of efficiency and new support for things like DDR4 and the new USB 3.1 and type-C tech.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That looks like a how not to.gif

I thought the spreading was pretty good. You need to protect those motherboard components from heat too ;)

Why are you doing this to us?

To share the cringe

Well I've got a video for you....

Well, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro and/or Primo I think is a better overall product. Especially for the price.

Ahh, but this one is so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvNnv7nh2Es

Dammit, I was about to post this!

thebloo

Is a socket 1150-i5 4460 build coupled with a 280x relatively future proof? By that I mean that i would hold me on High/Ultra 1080p until 2018.

rogue74

Well I installed that EVGA 960 and so far I'm happy.

Just before installing I ran the Tomb Raider benchmark on Ultimate settings and my 460 gave me 7 FPS average. It was really a sad sight.

I also played a few minutes of The Witcher 2 prologue on Ultra settings (no Ubersampling) and using FRAPS saw that the FPS fluctuated between 9 and the high 20s.

Installed the 960 and Tomb Raider benchmark came in at 54 FPS. I could drop the detail settings down just one notch to Ultra and get solid 60. Witcher 2 hovers around 60FPS most of the time.

That's a pretty dramatic jump in performance for the 160 I spent. The Phenom II 965 doesn't bottleneck this GPU at all with those games.

Ready for Witcher 3 :)

RGM79

Is a socket 1150-i5 4460 build coupled with a 280x relatively future proof? By that I mean that i would hold me on High/Ultra 1080p until 2018.

It's not really "future proof", but yes, I think it's reasonable to play on higher settings on that for a few years.

longdi

Banned

Are you buying one now or already have it?
If it is new purchase, could stay to wait for the new broadwell chips.
If it is existing, it should fine, though next time do consider stepping to a K chips, the overclock headroom is worth the extra imo.

thebloo

Are you buying one now or already have it?
If it is new purchase, could stay to wait for the new broadwell chips.
If it is existing, it should fine, though next time do consider stepping to a K chips, the overclock headroom is worth the extra imo.

I'm considering buying, currently I'm on a i5-750 and it's getting long in the tooth. However, my budget is a bit tight. I guess I could fit a i5 4690K in it.

I'm kinda betting that broadwell will be even higher priced and out of my price range (I'm in Eastern Europe so everything's more expensive here and not many discounts). Am I wrong to think that?

RGM79

Can somebody recommend me a good PCI wireless adapter card?

Depends on how much you're willing to spend, and what your needs are. What router do you have, for example?

My usual recommendation is this Gigabyte wifi adaptor ($30), it's pricey but has support for wireless N, AC, bluetooth, and features an antenna on a wire so you can place the receiver elsewhere for improved reception, it is not a small stick antenna attached to the card.

Depending on your actual needs, you can probably go for a cheaper model that gets the job done like these N300 adaptors by Rosewill ($17) or TP-Link ($18). They both have hundreds of reviews and average a positive score of 4/5 stars or more on review sites.

I'm considering buying, currently I'm on a i5-750 and it's getting long in the tooth. However, my budget is a bit tight. I guess I could fit a i5 4690K in it.

I'm kinda betting that broadwell will be even higher priced and out of my price range (I'm in Eastern Europe so everything's more expensive here and not many discounts). Am I wrong to think that?

Broadwell's i5 5675C and i7 5775C are expected to supplant the existing i5 4690K and i7 4790K at the same prices. In your case, they might launch at a slightly higher price and the existing 4690K might be cheaper then.

Chesskid1

Banned
I've got one. I like it. The Freesync window is really narrow so it may take a moment to mess with settings to hit it just right. For games that blow past 75Hz constantly I use RadeonPro as a framerate limiter set to 74Hz. With Freesync off its a 60Hz panel, with Freesync on it goes from 48-75. Hitting 48 is rough. There's a small amount of ghosting but I've only ever noticed it when moving the mouse across a static dark background. It's never stood out to me in game.

I was looking for a decently priced ultrawide IPS screen so the Freesync was just an added bonus for me. Its narrow window hasn't really been problematic; but this is the first adaptive refresh monitor I've used so I don't have a point of reference.

Also, being an IPS panel the colors really pop. It's hard to watch my TV now...

hey man, i just got this monitor, it arrived today and i've been messing with it.

it was $260 on ebay, refurbished, with a 30 day return policy, free shipping back, so that's one of the reasons i purchased it. the model i received is really nice IMO, my previous monitor is an IPS as well so i'm used to IPS glow and stuff, so not the best blacks don't bother me.

does it really have freesync? i'm looking at the box and it says 29UM65 on it and googling the model + freesync doesn't show freesync options. (edit: ah, it looks like the 29UM67 is the one with freesync) i don't have a radeon card anyways, was just curious.

any tips on color settings? i'm using cinema mode with brightness turned down to like 16.

i absolutely love the 21:9 ratio. games look freakin amazing. i did a few hour gaming session and it was spectacular. movies look so great as well. i hooked up my ps4 to it as well and i think i would prefer to play it on a monitor as well, always played on a regular TV. (previous monitor only had DVI)

i really hate browsing the internet on it though, just not enough vertical space. i'm using to a big 16:10 monitor though so you can imagine going to 21:9 is a huge change.

can't fit both on my desk, dunno what to do..1st world problems and all that, etc.

i kinda feel like 21:9 monitors will die out soon, yeah new ones keep coming out, but they are just trying to take advantage of the hardcore PC gamer guys /w G-SYNC and all that, but it will never be really that popular imo. one of the reasons i really don't want to return it.

longdi

Banned

In that case i would wait for broadwell in 2 more weeks. It will either slip into 4690K price bracket or 4690K will get cheaper.
These K chips will get you easily another 1Ghz more than 4460. Intel has cunningly made it that the K models are the 'smart' buy for DIY'ers.

If you are even more patient, you can wait for Skylake 6600K, another quarter or so. 10-15% faster than Broadwell, new motherboard features, potentially better overclocking with the off die VRM which make you less depend on CPU luck of draw.

Though the 128MB L4 Cache of 5675C could be interesting. And the Z97 platform is rather mature and bug free.

i5-750, non-overclocked, is getting long in the tooth now imo. Either new cpus will be a noticeable upgrade.

hey man, i just got this monitor, it arrived today and i've been messing with it.

it was $260 on ebay, refurbished, with a 30 day return policy, free shipping back, so that's one of the reasons i purchased it. the model i received is really nice IMO, my previous monitor is an IPS as well so i'm used to IPS glow and stuff, so not the best blacks don't bother me.

does it really have freesync? i'm looking at the box and it says 29UM65 on it and googling the model + freesync doesn't show freesync options. (edit: ah, it looks like the 29UM67 is the one with freesync) i don't have a radeon card anyways, was just curious.

any tips on color settings? i'm using cinema mode with brightness turned down to like 16.

i absolutely love the 21:9 ratio. games look freakin amazing. i did a few hour gaming session and it was spectacular. movies look so great as well. i hooked up my ps4 to it as well and i think i would prefer to play it on a monitor as well, always played on a regular TV. (previous monitor only had DVI)

i really hate browsing the internet on it though, just not enough vertical space. i'm using to a big 16:10 monitor though so you can imagine going to 21:9 is a huge change.

can't fit both on my desk, dunno what to do..1st world problems and all that, etc.

i kinda feel like 21:9 monitors will die out soon, yeah new ones keep coming out, but they are just trying to take advantage of the hardcore PC gamer guys /w G-SYNC and all that, but it will never be really that popular imo. one of the reasons i really don't want to return it.

Awe man, I misread it as the 67 in the comment I responded to.

No Freesync in yours, I apologize.

As for the screen settings, I play mine in game mode "FPS 2."

yeha my main reasons for choosing this would be ips and freesync for a decent price, even if the freesync is limited.

I misread. I have the 29UM67, it's the Freesync model.

Would anyone kind tell me where I can find a software that would allow me to overclock my GTX 750 Ti low profile so I can get all the available 75 W off the PCI Express ?

Thanks to everyone who gave advice.
Here is how my setup has ended up...not bad!!

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/mWTcrH

Did you actually buy the components for these prices? Because most of them seem outrageous. $480 for the mainboard, §1300 for the monitor WTF?

Would anyone kind tell me where I can find a software that would allow me to overclock my GTX 750 Ti low profile so I can get all the available 75 W off the PCI Express ?

MSI Afterburner is a good and relatively easy to use tool (it's not limited to MSI cards!).

hodgy100

Awe man, I misread it as the 67 in the comment I responded to.

No Freesync in yours, I apologize.

As for the screen settings, I play mine in game mode "FPS 2."

I misread. I have the 29UM67, it's the Freesync model.

seems i linked the wrong monitor. I ment the freesync model. seems they have 2 that are very similar :p

OK, need some help diagnosing an issue.

I've been quite happy with 970 since launch and games run fine, etc, etc.

However, I've been running benchmarks on some games and comparing them to published benchmarks and I'm consistently coming up about 10 fps short. I'm matching the settings listed in the benchmark.

I've done this with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, and Thief.

For example, according to this , a stock 970 should be getting 116 fps in Bioshock at 1080p DX11 Ultra. I'm getting 101 fps.

I'm running a Gigabyte 970 with a core clock of 1342 MHz.

I did reset the Nvidia profile to default and Vsync is, of course, off.

Am I missing something here?

GHG

Gold Member
But seriously guys...

What's MSI's reliability/warranty like?

I'm looking at getting 2 gtx 980's and want blower style coolers. The MSI ones are the only ones I can find near me but I have no experience with them as a manufacturer.

However, I've been running benchmarks on some games and comparing them to published benchmarks and I'm consistently coming up about 10 fps short. I'm matching the settings listed in the benchmark.

I've done this with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, and Thief.

For example, according to this , a stock 970 should be getting 116 fps in Bioshock at 1080p DX11 Ultra. I'm getting 101 fps.

Your whole spec?

Devildoll

Wasn't there a thread here on neogaf recently about older Nvidia drivers performing better?
are you using the same driver anandtech is using?

100 fps is so high that the CPU might come into play, is yours comparable to the i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz they're using?

terrisus

Still looking for some feedback on the below. Gotten one suggestion, but that's been it so far. Probably going to be doing it next week, so more thoughts on anything are appreciated!

Hey PCGAF!

I'm looking to put together a relatively inexpensive desktop as a backup to my main computer
(which is a laptop hooked to a trackball, keyboard, and monitor >.>)

Next week I'm getting the following parts, thanks to a trade with an awesome GAFfer:

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
GT640 2GB Graphics Card

So, I think that leaves...
A case
Power Supply
RAM
Hard Drive
OS
Am I missing anything else?...

I got a 400W ATX power supply (Dynex. As I said, this is a budget build)
I should be able to get Windows 8 through my school...
And, I have a couple of 240GB Seagate 600 SSDs that I could use for the hard drives...

So, that leaves:
A case
RAM
Anything else?

Hoping someone can link me to some decent parts that I can use to complete the build for around $100...
As well as make sure I don't run into any issues with the wattage or size or configuration or such.

Thanks a bunch =)

Mets9

Since my current setup is getting old, I'm considering on doing a gradual upgrade, but I don't know where to start.
Here is my situation:

CPU AMD FX-6100 6-Core 3.3GHz AM3+ 8MB Cache 95W
RAM DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
Case Midi Cooler Master Elite 370
VGA Club 3d Ati AMD Radeon HD 6850 Core 775MHz Memory GDDR5 4000MHz 1GB
Motherboard Asrock 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX
HDD Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
PSU iTek Super Silent Power 700W

What should I upgrade first? CPU, GPU, SSD? I use this setup mainly for gaming and some emulation (not too much since I discovered too late that AMD is not the best for emulation).
Let's say the budget is around 200 euros.
I've never done OC and I don't think I would do it, and I don't have a preference between AMD or Nvidia.
Thank you in advance :)

kudoboi

well.. anyone knows what broken component could cause this?

I was playing euro truck simulator 2 when suddenly the screen became like this

It was basically frozen so I restarted the PC and now it shows this after the windows booting animation
8w577dA.jpg

followed by
FazQ7ol.jpg

My pc can't get past the zebra screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom