• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaDL50

If I put a card only in the second slot I have a warning on the display saying "No input".

Sounds like a possibly dead PCIe slot Or the second GPU is bad.

Try first working graphics card you use in the main slot in that second PCIe slot to narrow the issue down.

We need to determine if the 2nd GPU is faulty or you have a bad PCIe slot.

Also Rufus' advice is sound to make sure everything in BIOS checks out.

RGM79

That one looks far better. I'm looking for one with a clean front (no visible 5.25 bays)/without that much mesh and good CM. If I'm not getting a cube, I'll get a Define R5 or H440 (even though I don't like windows)
Good CM? The Define R5 comes in non-window versions, usually a few dollars cheaper than the windowed models.

Kuldar

Try it with the other card. If that still says no input, pore over the BIOS for relevant settings.
Sounds like a possibly dead PCIe slot Or the second GPU is bad.

Try first working graphics card you use in the main slot in that second PCIe slot to narrow the issue down.

We need to determine if the 2nd GPU is faulty or you have a bad PCIe slot.

Also Rufus' advice is sound to make sure everything in BIOS checks out.

With first slot only, it work with both GPU. With second slot only it does not work with both GPU.

In the bios, there is two settings related to PCIe. one in order to detect the card PCIe generation and another in order to set the output for the initial screen. :-\

FoxSpirit

Man, my mobo has a Killer E2200 NIC which is supposedly extra good. Actually, the drivers are extra garbage.
So after many moons of having a third of my internet speed, turns out I had to really go ham, uninstall the whole suite and install a foreign driver of a NIC of which the E2200 is a clone.
I learned all this because I am completely not alone in this problem.
Lesson: avoid Killer NIC if you can.

Finally I have the 75mbps I paid for.

Been semi-enjoying my new GPU. Some teething problems such as MSI Afterburner crashing my PC on use, and CCC not opening, but it runs far better than my 7870 HD.

The semi-enjoying comes from it being sold to me "brand new" by Amazon, but there's this Amazon Warehouse Deals sticker on it, and that turns out to be open-box, used items returned to Amazon for resale. The box was also a little beat up around the edges, but I just presumed that is cardboard damage due to the fragility of the stuff. I've also noticed the sticker that usually holds the box closed was opened and tucked in.

Going to pull up a dispute with Amazon and hope I get my dosh back.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Good CM? The Define R5 comes in non-window versions, usually a few dollars cheaper than the windowed models.

CM=Cable Management. The bracket referred to the H440, because you can't get it without a window, but I like the idea that you cant see the PSU :D

Kayant

Man, my mobo has a Killer E2200 NIC which is supposedly extra good. Actually, the drivers are extra garbage.
So after many moons of having a third of my internet speed, turns out I had to really go ham, uninstall the whole suite and install a foreign driver of a NIC of which the E2200 is a clone.
I learned all this because I am completely not alone in this problem.
Lesson: avoid Killer NIC if you can.

Finally I have the 75mbps I paid for.

For me I found no real difference between the Qualcomm driver and Killer one but yh the Suite is pretty useless. From searching they recently released a new suite and standalone drivers.

rogue74

So earlier in the thread I posted specs for a system I wanted to build. Some issues have come up that make it impossible to spend that much money at the moment. I still wanted to get tangible upgrade for my Phenom II X4 965 build from 2010 to tide me over.

I decided on getting an EVGA 960 4GB card. I know that the 280X is recommended here more often in that price range, but I went with the 960 for a few reasons:

* Size. Looking at the size of my case and how much space my 460 was taking up, I didn't see much room for those monster 11.5 inch AMD cards.

* Power. I have an OCZ 700w power supply. The specs for the XFX 280X say I should have a 750W power supply. While I think that may be an exaggeration I didn't want to take the chance.

* Drivers. I don't have anything against trying AMD even though I have had an Nvidia card since 2000. But I don't like AMD driver release schedule. Nvidia seems to be on top of things with new releases. Look at what is going on with Project Cars. I also have read that Nvidia drivers have lower overhead and are better with weaker processors.

* Free Witcher 3, which I really wanted to play and planned to buy anyway.

I didn't go for anything more powerful like a 970 because of price and because I thought my CPU wouldn't take full advantage of it.

So I had some gift card money on Amazon and got the card for about $160. Free game included. I see in another thread that the 960 can run Witcher 3 at 1080p at high settings. Not sure what CPU was used to test though.

On top of that I overclocked my Phenom to 3.8ghz to give me a little more power.

I don't know...maybe I just want to feel better about what I did but does my reasoning make sense? Or did I throw away money? I'm figuring I should see a huge improvement over my circa 2010 GTX 460.

Card arrives tonight. BTW I'm game at 1080P and am happy with rock solid 30fps with high (just below ultra) settings. This should still be far superior to a PS4.

T.O.P

Banned
So...the tech people called me 5 minutes ago and it's confirmed that i have to change the MOBO since it's gone

Should i go for another one of these? I'm kinda shocked at how it was dead 3 months after my purchase :/

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Socket 1150

Only different thing in my system is gonna be a 970 MSI (from a Vapor x 290) if it means anything

Flandy

Odd question but any chance if I upgrade from my 7950 3GB to a 970 that from room wouldn't get nearly as warm? I swear it the temperature in my room goes up 5 degrees Fahrenheit whenever I play GTA 5

So...the tech people called me 5 minutes ago and it's confirmed that i have to change the MOBO since it's gone

Should i go for another one of these? I'm kinda shocked at how it was dead 3 months after my purchase :/

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Socket 1150

Only different thing in my system is gonna be a 970 MSI (from a Vapor x 290) if it means anything

That should be covered under warranty as long as it didn't die from user error (flipped the 120/240v switch on the PSU or something), contact the manufacturer support@asrockamerica.com .

AndyD

aka andydumi
Here's their list of processor and motherboard bundles.[/URL] I've also heard that Microcenter will knock $20 off any purchase of a CPU and motherboard, even those not on that list, although I am not entirely sure about that.

The G3258 should be just fine for youtube and office work. My G3258 overclocked to 4.7GHz with a B85 motherboard even works adequately for gaming (CSGO, GTAV, WoT, etc), but I would recommend a cheap Z97 motherboard if you wanted to overclock.

The ASRock Z97 Anniversary ($73 after rebate) was designed to go with the G3258 as a cheap overclockable motherboard.

Thanks for the help. I went ahead with that board, can't go wrong as my current gaming system is the older higher end version of that card but with a 3570k and it's rock solid.

I did just notice it has HDMI out only, but I think I have an old video card laying around.

spinz

Ooph. So I'm close to finishing my build and I noticed the USB 3.0 ports weren't working. I look at the board and one of the pins is clearly bent pretty bad. What can I do to unbend it??

Cmagus

I'm gonna order some things to upgrade my PC tonight but to be honest I'm not that good with PC stuff and specs so maybe someone could help me out.

I'm looking to pick up a new motherboard, processor and case. Right now the PC I have is bad and it can't do much (playing 1080p videos is impossible). Basically all I use my PC for is doing art and freelance work on the side.

Now I'm not really trying to build this for gaming but I do have an Occulus Rift on the way as I want to work on a small game idea I've been planning for a bit so I would need to make sure the stuff I have is capable and I'm not sure if I would need a new video card as well.

Right now I have the following ram and video card.

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series video card
8 gig DDR3 ram

Price wise it's not really an issue but I'd like to keep it reasonable if possible. i'm looking to purchase from Newegg so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm gonna order some things to upgrade my PC tonight but to be honest I'm not that good with PC stuff and specs so maybe someone could help me out.

I'm looking to pick up a new motherboard, processor and case. Right now the PC I have is bad and it can't do much (playing 1080p videos is impossible). Basically all I use my PC for is doing art and freelance work on the side.

Now I'm not really trying to build this for gaming but I do have an Occulus Rift on the way as I want to work on a small game idea I've been planning for a bit so I would need to make sure the stuff I have is capable and I'm not sure if I would need a new video card as well.

Right now I have the following ram and video card.

AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series video card
8 gig DDR3 ram

Price wise it's not really an issue but I'd like to keep it reasonable if possible. i'm looking to purchase from Newegg so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
4670K + Z97 motherboard from the OP.

What is your current case?

In terms of the Oculus Rift thing, it really depends on what level of fidelity you're trying to reach to determine whether or not you need a new video card.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I am trying to OC my SLI 970FTWs, and while running the Valley Benchmark, Precision X says my Clock speed is 1493, while in the benchmark, it is reading the clock as 1611? Frames and temps seem synced on both though... What's the reason for this disparity?

Cmagus

4670K + Z97 motherboard from the OP.

What is your current case?

In terms of the Oculus Rift thing, it really depends on what level of fidelity you're trying to reach to determine whether or not you need a new video card.

In terms of case I just have some generic thing I honestly couldn't even tell you what brand it is. My old PC died and the one I have now I picked up cheap because I needed it for some stuff while I built a new one.

As far as fidelity goes with the Oculus I really can't answer that because I'm not sure yet but I'd like to be able to run things without having to worry too much.

Wondering if my i5/2500k is getting too long in the tooth. Is there a reasonable affordable upgrade I can do to something a bit more current (preferably keeping my RAM the same). I'm already using a 970 for graphics.

Currently I have:

i5 2500K
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 mboard (Socket 1155 LGA).

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
Does anyone have a small form factor build with a GTX 970 for around $700-800? Are the ones in the first post updates or are they back from 2014? I need to get all my parts from Amazon too.

I think it can be done, but just barely...especially if you are forced to buy your parts from one source. Amazon is great, but but they dont always have the best prices for each part you are going to purchase. Here is my most recent build, Its ITX with a MSI GTX 970 :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C7bKLk

To get the price lower though, you could downgrade in a few areas. CPU could be switched to an i5, even a non K version if you dont really plan on OC. Also the PSU, SSD, and MB could be compromised a bit as well. There are two other ITX z97 boards from Gigabyte and Asrock that are cheaper than the Z97i Plus. You could lower the SSD to a 240GB, they are all over amazon. Keep the PSU high quality, just lower the wattage, I was originally using a 600w PC power and cooling MKIII in this build but I swapped it out to use in another build. Most PSU's from Seasonic, Corsair are really great, and in lower wattage form can be found for much cheaper. Modular if possible, and either gold or platinum efficiency are more expensive.

This build screams by the way...fantastic. I wanted something that was beefy, but could be moved around at will if necessary. My ATX cases will eventually house the really crazy stuff, but for high end mobile desktop gaming, this build is great. I also have a Corsair 380t case I might switch to in a while, that case is phenomenal. The 250d is much more elegant though...love it. Hope that helps man!

ricki42

Wondering if my i5/2500k is getting too long in the tooth. Is there a reasonable affordable upgrade I can do to something a bit more current (preferably keeping my RAM the same). I'm already using a 970 for graphics.

Currently I have:

i5 2500K

Are you overclocking? If not, get a cooler and overclock.

mkenyon

Banned
In terms of case I just have some generic thing I honestly couldn't even tell you what brand it is. My old PC died and the one I have now I picked up cheap because I needed it for some stuff while I built a new one.

As far as fidelity goes with the Oculus I really can't answer that because I'm not sure yet but I'd like to be able to run things without having to worry too much.
The reason I ask is because the size of the case determines motherboard compatibility.

Currently I have:

i5 2500K

It's really not getting too long in the tooth yet. It's still a total monster. Do you have it overclocked?

Anything you upgrade to would be a very teeny increase in IPC, you honestly would not even notice it much.

The reason I ask is because the size of the case determines motherboard compatibility.

It's really not getting too long in the tooth yet. It's still a total monster. Do you have it overclocked?

Anything you upgrade to would be a very teeny increase in IPC, you honestly would not even notice it much.

If I'm playing something taxing then I will OC to between 4.0 and 4.2 GHz. I usually turn it off in between though because the fan noise annoys me.

spinz

Hmm I think I'm going to abandon my USB problem since there's also 3.0 directly on the board.
But now Iv run into a much stranger problem with my build.. I installed win8, everything worked.. I logged in, and them went to turn the computer off: the display turned off but none of the components stopped..... gpu etc all just continued to run until a hard boot. Any ideas?
EDIT: figured out its a bios bug and an update fixed it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Something strange just happened on my pc.

I inserted a ethernet card (because that's what a tech guy said)

Computer started up with a black scree.

Hi

Please wait while we set things up

now on the bottom right of my computer is shows
Windows 8.1
Build 9600

--p-

EDIT:

Windows 8.1
Build 9600

is now gone

mkenyon

Banned
If I'm playing something taxing then I will OC to between 4.0 and 4.2 GHz. I usually turn it off in between though because the fan noise annoys me.
Do you have a stock cooler? If so, replace it. OC to 4.5ish. That would net you the same kind of gains you would get out of spending $400 on a new motherboard and proc.
Hows it going in here

Also the build sheet hasn't been updated since late last year? :O
Yeah, parts have been pretty stagnant.

gilljoy

Looking to build a low powered server to run a plex server that I can access using my phone whilst traveling.

Would I be better building a system or picking up a Nas or something?

mkenyon

Banned
Looking to build a low powered server to run a plex server that I can access using my phone whilst traveling.

Would I be better building a system or picking up a Nas or something?
If you want it to encode to different bit rates on the fly, you'll actually want something with a decent processor.

kennah

If you want it to encode to different bit rates on the fly, you'll actually want something with a decent processor.
Plex streams just fine on my i3. You only really need a decent processor if you are going to be serving to multiple devices at once.

mkenyon

Banned
Plex streams just fine on my i3. You only really need a decent processor if you are going to be serving to multiple devices at once.
Even at different bitrates to different devices?

A pal of mine had to go from a gen 1 core i3 to a i7 920 to get it to work seamlessly for mobile streaming.

kennah

Even at different bitrates to different devices?

A pal of mine had to go from a gen 1 core i3 to a i7 920 to get it to work seamlessly for mobile streaming.
3220, so maybe ivy makes a huge difference. Can stream 1080p to my chrome cast with no hiccups. Mobile to my phone and ipad work fine too

Mystic654

I was going to get Cooler Master Cosmos 2, However I ran into a issue. The area where my PC sits can only go upto 20 inches. Cosmos is 27 inches. I have to rule that case out.

Does anyone have know of a good PC case around 20 inches? It has to house Asus Rampage V Extreme, the Corsair H100i GTX or H110i GT, Titan X, one SSD Drive and three mechanical Harddrives. I'm going for quiet PC setup. Also need three bays infront.

mulac

Ok screw it.

To go with my 980 Strix + Corsair 750HX PSU and SEXY Dell U3415W widescreen I'm going to do a full upgrade to my setup and turn it into a beast of an OC Sysem for Gaming/Photoshop/Video Editing...

Looking at this (all to fit inside my trust Corsair Carbide 500D case):

Intel Core i7 5820K

Asus Rampage V Extreme Mobo

G Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

Thoughts on the above? I'm not sure about the RAM (currently sporting 8GB already) and the SSD is a nice addition to my current small 120GB SSD setup.

Also does anyone know the best place to SELL used PC Parts in Australia outside of Ebay?

ricki42

Ok screw it.

To go with my 980 Strix + Corsair 750HX PSU and SEXY Dell U3415W widescreen I'm going to do a full upgrade to my setup and turn it into a beast of an OC Sysem for Gaming/Photoshop/Video Editing...

Intel Core i7 5820K

G Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM

Thoughts on the above? I'm not sure about the RAM (currently sporting 8GB already) and the SSD is a nice addition to my current small 120GB SSD setup.

Also does anyone know the best place to SELL used PC Parts in Australia outside of Ebay?

You'll need DDR4 RAM with the X99 mobo, so the RAM you list won't work.

ricki42

oh...
what about the cpu?

The CPU will work with that mobo.
Alternatively, you could go i7-4790k cpu + Z97 mobo and use DDR3 RAM with that. That way, you could re-use your existing RAM.
A good way to check if things will likely fit together is to use au.pcpartpicker.com, start with the CPU and GPU you want, it'll then by default only show you mobos that work with the CPU.

mkenyon

Banned
It's 60Hz shy of being quality :p
Ok screw it.

Intel Core i7 5820K

G Skill Ripjaws 16GB RAM

You're overspending HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE on that motherboard. Only buy that motherboard if 1) you overclock using LN2 or 2) you build PCs for the sake of aesthetics.

As pointed out above, need DDR4 for the Enthusiast socket (2011).

I've got one. I like it. The Freesync window is really narrow so it may take a moment to mess with settings to hit it just right. For games that blow past 75Hz constantly I use RadeonPro as a framerate limiter set to 74Hz. With Freesync off its a 60Hz panel, with Freesync on it goes from 48-75. Hitting 48 is rough. There's a small amount of ghosting but I've only ever noticed it when moving the mouse across a static dark background. It's never stood out to me in game.

I was looking for a decently priced ultrawide IPS screen so the Freesync was just an added bonus for me. Its narrow window hasn't really been problematic; but this is the first adaptive refresh monitor I've used so I don't have a point of reference.

Also, being an IPS panel the colors really pop. It's hard to watch my TV now...

Edit: ignore the Freesync portion, I misread and thought you were talking about the 29UM67.

mulac

It's 60Hz shy of being quality :p

You're overspending HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE on that motherboard. Only buy that motherboard if 1) you overclock using LN2 or 2) you build PCs for the sake of aesthetics.

As pointed out above, need DDR4 for the Enthusiast socket (2011).

alternative? i like the asus motherboards and currently have an older i5.
here's what i'm currently sporting (havent yet installed the 980 or new psu):

case = cosair carbide 500r black
cpu = intel core i5 4670
graphics = galaxy geforce gtx 760 2tb
ram = g skill ares f3 8gb (2x4gb)
psu = corsair cx-500 modular bronze
mobo = asrock z87 extreme4
hd = sandisk ultra plus 128gb ssd + seagate baracuda 2tb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom