• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
980 won't quite get you there with ultra at 1440p. You could turn down some settings and be fine though.

There's not much difference between High and Ultra. So going with High and no Hairworks get you this:

http://cdn.sweclockers.com/artikel/diagram/9881?key=5ee3a41662a9ec4aaed8231ec113870d

A very aggressive 980 OC and lowering a setting or two would get you further. Maybe 60fps. You don't need more memory.

48-55 seems good enough

is a single 980 the better option vs less power SLI? Last time I was doing all the research, SLI still wasn't recommended due to some technical hiccups it can cause

LilJoka

i5 3470. Thing is I don't really want to buy a new PSU. But it's almost 10 years old, so I might as well...

Age isnt that much of a factor. i5 3470 is 77W and the 970 about 200W. So in theory it should be fine. As you have said, you are already running a higher power consumption card on the PSU.

Flandy

So I've been really enjoying my 970. Able to run Witcher 3 @ 1080p60 w/ High/Ultra settings and HABO+
However, according to CPUID HWMonitor I'm hitting temps as high as 78°C. Should I be doing something about that or just not worry?

yaffi

Age isnt that much of a factor. i5 3470 is 77W and the 970 about 200W. So in theory it should be fine. As you have said, you are already running a higher power consumption card on the PSU.

Oh? I asked on another board and people were telling me my PSU was electical waste and on the verge of dying, lol.

Honestly, it's doing its job like the first day I got it. So I can't tell.

Red

I'm looking for a decent GPU upgrade to an ailing Radeon 5870. I see the 280X listed at $200. Would like to play games on high at 1080p. Ultra not necessary. Looking to keep cost at around $200. Suggestions?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I'm looking for a decent GPU upgrade to an ailing Radeon 5870. I see the 280X listed at $200. Would like to play games on high at 1080p. Ultra not necessary. Looking to keep cost at around $200. Suggestions?

Wait for the 390x to drop and see what happens to prices.
If you're willing to get to 250$ you might be able to get a 970 (if we're lucky).

Oh? I asked on another board and people were telling me my PSU was electical waste and on the verge of dying, lol.

If it didin't die so far I would think it won't after you take some load off it. lol

LilJoka

PSUs do have something called capacitor aging, and can cause some drop in power, i would expect over 10 years of use maybe 20-30W loss at most probably. It depends on the capacitor brand that was used. High quality caps, not much of a big deal, probably still within or close to tolerance. Shoddy caps, then you could be pushing it.

Red

Wait for the 390x to drop and see what happens to prices.
If you're willing to get to 250$ you might be able to get a 970 (if we're lucky).
I'm tempted to go for something more powerful, but I really need to limit how much I spend. Currently on an i7 920 and this 5870 and anything new would be an improvement. I don't game so often I could justify more than about $200.

yaffi

PSUs do have something called capacitor aging, and can cause some drop in power, i would expect over 10 years of use maybe 20-30W loss at most probably. It depends on the capacitor brand that was used. High quality caps, not much of a big deal, probably still within or close to tolerance. Shoddy caps, then you could be pushing it.

I think the biggest problem is my PSU doesn't have DC/DC, and I heard that's quite important to have with a 970 and the likes due to heavy voltage fluctuation (or what it's called in English). So I'm going to opt for a new one. I think the be quiet E10 400W should do the trick.

Took the plunge earlier today and ordered two BenQ EW2440L monitors.

Feels good to upgrade from my seven year old Samsung ToC T240HD.

Pics to follow in a few days.

LilJoka

I think the biggest problem is my PSU doesn't have DC/DC, and I heard that's quite important to have with a 970 and the likes due to heavy voltage fluctuation (or what it's called in English). So I'm going to opt for a new one. I think the be quiet E10 400W should do the trick.

Voltage doesnt fluctuate, current does. Its not going to fluctuate any more than your current setup.
Anyways, better be safe than sorry.

Crisium

48-55 seems good enough

is a single 980 the better option vs less power SLI? Last time I was doing all the research, SLI still wasn't recommended due to some technical hiccups it can cause

The same issues still exist. Might not work ideally because of drivers, and if it does, might have stutter. YMMV.

If you are willing to chance SLI though, get SLI 970 as it walks all over a single 980 for not much more. SLI 980 is not worth it over SLI 970. I don't even consider SLI 980 a tenable option since a Titan X is a much more consistent experience and SLI 970 isn't much slower.

I'm tempted to go for something more powerful, but I really need to limit how much I spend. Currently on an i7 920 and this 5870 and anything new would be an improvement. I don't game so often I could justify more than about $200.

Well, 280X is on average the best performer for that price. But 290 isn't much more and is quite a bit faster. If you bite for a 280X now, the biggest risk is that new cards come out next month and you might get able to get 3 or 4GB Tonga (285 right now is Tonga but 2GB only). That's much newer tech than 280X, but the 285 is often actually slower than 280X thanks to less memory and fewer shaders.

Xtyle

So my desktop PC's had various lockups and crashes in the past (I suspect due to bad memory) and it is crashed couple times today and the HD is corrupted such that it can't boot now...

I hate fixing this.

I want a new PC. I will need new motherboard, memory, and videocard replacements.

I am looking for high end (though doesn't have to be the most expensive).
I also do graphics work so large, fast memory would be nice.

Though, since Witcher is out, having a rig that runs that on ultra would be nice...

I am thinking a budget from 1000-1500 for these...any recommendations?

Does Samsung have region specific models of their SSDs or did I get a really good fake?

The 850 EVO I ordered arrived today. Both the box and warranty page are written in 99% Chinese. Magician says it's genuine but I'm not completely sure because a lot of things don't add up with the other 850 I have. My other unit has labels in slightly different places (though they are mostly the same labels) and also the box and warranty pages have about nine languages instead of just one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So my desktop PC's had various lockups and crashes in the past (I suspect due to bad memory) and it is crashed couple times today and the HD is corrupted such that it can't boot now...

I hate fixing this.

I want a new PC. I will need new motherboard, memory, and videocard replacements.

I am looking for high end (though doesn't have to be the most expensive).
I also do graphics work so large, fast memory would be nice.

Though, since Witcher is out, having a rig that runs that on ultra would be nice...

I am thinking a budget from 1000-1500 for these...any recommendations?

At that budget you can just take the enthusiast build from the op.

Red

Well, 280X is on average the best performer for that price. But 290 isn't much more and is quite a bit faster. If you bite for a 280X now, the biggest risk is that new cards come out next month and you might get able to get 3 or 4GB Tonga (285 right now is Tonga but 2GB only). That's much newer tech than 280X, but the 285 is often actually slower than 280X thanks to less memory and fewer shaders.
Thanks for the info. I anticipate the upcoming cards to cost a bit more, which may push them out of my price range. I am leaning toward buying now because of AMD cards' tendency to fluctuate in price.

RGM79

Does Samsung have region specific models of their SSDs or did I get a really good fake?

The 850 EVO I ordered arrived today. Both the box and warranty page are written in 99% Chinese. Magician says it's genuine but I'm not completely sure because a lot of things don't add up with the other 850 I have. My other unit has labels in slightly different places (though they are mostly the same labels) and also the box and warranty pages have about nine languages instead of just one.

Region specific packaging is a thing. Why not just test the performance? If it works well, why fret over multi-lingual labels and manuals?

I would imagine SSDs are a very difficult thing to make working fakes of. It'd be easier for them to just give you a brick instead of an actual SSD.

Where did you buy the SSD, then?

Region specific packaging is a thing. Why not just test the performance? If it works well, why fret over multi-lingual labels and manuals?

I would imagine SSDs are a very difficult thing to make working fakes of. It'd be easier for them to just give you a brick instead of an actual SSD.

Where did you buy the SSD, then?
Amazon Third Party seller. The only thing that really made me suspicious was the mismatching labels on the drives.

Not super worried. I'll test it out.

Saprol

Is this AMD conference going to have much of an impact on current card prices? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Q6600 / GTX460 / mismatched 6GB of RAM soon. The Nvidia Witcher+Batman promotion looks nice.

mkenyon

Banned
EVGA 980 classified for $574.99 w/rebate (normally $699) at amazon here, includes witcher 3 and Batman AK
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GTX980-CLASSIFIED-Graphics-04G-P4-3988-KR/dp/B00R59FEA0/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Good spot. Well worth the $40 over the standard, IMO.
Is this AMD conference going to have much of an impact on current card prices? I'm thinking of upgrading from my Q6600 / GTX460 / mismatched 6GB of RAM soon. The Nvidia Witcher+Batman promotion looks nice.
I don't know about the conference, but definitely the release of the card. If it's a paper launch, it might be a little bit between the conference and the release of the item.

foladar

I'm also split on a GPU .. is there going to be something released, or at least rumored, that would be in the R9 280 area? It's $150 AR on Newegg currently, so I was going to buy it, but I'm not really in a rush since I don't PC game much outside of Blizzard games.. upgrading from a 6850.

RGM79

I'm also split on a GPU .. is there going to be something released, or at least rumored, that would be in the R9 280 area? It's $150 AR on Newegg currently, so I was going to buy it, but I'm not really in a rush since I don't PC game much outside of Blizzard games.. upgrading from a 6850.

The current R9 285 is similar in performance to the R9 280 but features newer technology. It only has 2GB of VRAM, though. I think I remember reading that the R9 380 will be a rebadge of the R9 285, but I don't know if it will still only have 2GB VRAM, I hope not.

foladar

The current R9 285 is similar in performance to the R9 280 but features newer technology. It only has 2GB of VRAM, though. I think I remember reading that the R9 380 will be a rebadge of the R9 285, but I don't know if it will still only have 2GB VRAM, I hope not.

yeah, the 285 seemed low on the vram (and higher in price) and I assumed based on rumors, the 380 would be similar, probably higher in price, so 280 or bust if you're looking for a $150ish card?

so, on my computer I have 4 USB slots on top. 2 regulars, and 2 3.0 slots. I put in a 970 about a week ago now, and ever since, the two 3.0 slots dont work anymore. I have no idea if these events are related, but I noticed the problem around that time. The two regular USB slots work perfectly. I have tried numerous devices in the 3.0 slots, but nothing works. Doesnt even give external hard drives power. Anyone know what the problem could be?

RGM79

yeah, the 285 seemed low on the vram (and higher in price) and I assumed based on rumors, the 380 would be similar, probably higher in price, so 280 or bust if you're looking for a $150ish card?

At the moment, yes. All other options are limited in VRAM.

so, on my computer I have 4 USB slots on top. 2 regulars, and 2 3.0 slots. I put in a 970 about a week ago now, and ever since, the two 3.0 slots dont work anymore. I have no idea if these events are related, but I noticed the problem around that time. The two regular USB slots work perfectly. I have tried numerous devices in the 3.0 slots, but nothing works. Doesnt even give external hard drives power. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Maybe you accidentally knocked loose the USB 3.0 header cable when you installed the GTX 970.

MGrant

If G-Sync was an option when I bought my Eizo FG2421, I would have paid about that much extra for it. But all current 16:9 1080p G-Sync displays have TN panels and not-so-great quality. It would feel silly to me to spend that much on G-Sync while skimping so much on the rest of the display. On any high quality display I think it's worth it for gaming.

One is announced to launch in Q2, so should be available by the time you're upgrading your display.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042486

Seems perfect for gaming if all reported details are correct. I'm personally thinking about productivity use as well, and my work really likes resolution, so 1080p is hard to swallow despite the added horizontal space. I'm more likely to go for the XR341CK that has most of the same good stuff but is limited to 75Hz and has IPS instead of VA. Realistically I wouldn't have the GPU power to run at much more than 75FPS at 3440x1440 anyway.

Thank you very much!

AmyS

About 4 days old, but:

TSMC teases that 16nm FinFET will deliver 40% performance improvement

TSMC has come out swinging lately, teasing that the shift into 16nm FinFET is going to be quite big for GPUs. The Taiwanese manufacturer said that the move from 28nm to 16nm, and in particular, the 16nm FinFET+ process, will deliver around 40% more performance.

This 40% improvement in performance will not consume any additional power, which should have both NVIDIA and AMD smiling from ear to ear. This means if they were to spin up an NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X on 16nm FinFET+ and have the same performance, it would consume 50% less power. Alternatively, for the same power, they would be able to cram in a huge 40% performance gain. Impressive stuff, shrinking down to 16nm.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45181...deliver-40-performance-improvement/index.html

Flandy

Recently upgraded from a 7950 3GB to a GTX 970. I seem to be having performance issues with a few games including GTA 5, FF13 (While not in combat), and Skyrim. Skyrim detected my setup when I started and instead of choosing Ultra it chose High. Meanwhile I'm running The Witcher 3 at High/Ultra settings at 1080p 60 fps

I uninstalled my old AMD drivers and Nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled Nvidia driver. Performance in GTA 5 improved a bit but it's still not a steady 60 even on the lowest settings :x

My setup
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GHpcrH

Engell

Recently upgraded to a 7950 3GB to a GTX 970. I seem to be having performance issues with a few games including GTA 5, FF13 (While not in combat), and Skyrim. Skyrim detected my setup when I started and instead of choosing Ultra it chose High. Meanwhile I'm running The Witcher 3 at High/Ultra settings at 1080p 60 fps

I uninstalled my old AMD drivers and Nvidia drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled Nvidia driver. Performance in GTA 5 improved a bit but it's still not a steady 60 even on the lowest settings :x

My setup
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GHpcrH

Are you under 60fps in low when you are holding 100% still, or is it when moving?

pswii60

Is the 5820K worth the £50 premium over the 4790k? Will I notice a fps bump in games?

Should I really be concerned about the reduction in PCI lanes? (I won't be running an SLI rig)

RGM79

Is the 5820K worth the £50 premium over the 4790k? Will I notice a fps bump in games?

Should I really be concerned about the reduction in PCI lanes? (I won't be running an SLI rig)

Games right now don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores and the lower clock speed of the 5820K actually means that at stock clocks, for gaming the 4790K is not very far behind the 5820K and in some games is actually ahead slightly.

The 28 PCI-E lanes that the 5820K offers won't make a difference over the 16 lanes of the 4790K, unless you have a lot of extra hardware like other PCI-E cards and M.2 SSDs that you want to have working at full speed with no bottlenecks.

Is there a reason why you're considering the 5820K? I could only recommend it if you need to do some CPU intensive work or if you have the money to spend and wanted a newer X99 system that was slightly more futureproof than Z97 (DDR4 support) and a hexa core CPU that with overclocking should last a few years longer than the Intel quad cores in the long term.

If gaming is your only concern, I'd actually recommend you consider the i5 4690K. Even cheaper, and for all intents and purposes when it comes to framerate, it will perform about the same as the i7 4790K.

Xtyle

GAF, how's this looking? should I switch anything that cuts the cost?
With these, how long would this last me with some light gaming here and there?

Also considered this cpu but I can't find matching motherboard + ram within price range (under 1500$)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

EVGA GTX 980
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487068

EVGA Supernova 750w power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231757

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128707

Intel Core i7-4790K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

CORSAIR H105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060

Engell

its two different sockets, but no you will not see any boost in current games, most games will run faster on the 4790k due to pure clock speeds. 4790k is also easier to cool and overclock.
Btw do not worry about pci lanes unless you plan on running some triple sli alongside some crazy pciexpress SSD raid setup

RGM79

GAF, how's this looking? should I switch anything that cuts the cost?
With these, how long would this last me with some light gaming here and there?

Also considered this cpu but I can't find matching motherboard + ram within price range (under 1500$)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117402

EVGA GTX 980
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487068

EVGA Supernova 750w power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231757

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128707

Intel Core i7-4790K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

CORSAIR H105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060

Your choice of parts is alright, but most of them are overpriced. Especially that $595 reference blower GTX 980 which should cost less than $550 and the $110 EVGA Supernova G2 power supply, I've seen that model drop to around $85 in the past.

Do you prefer to buy from Newegg only, or will other retailers do? It's possible to make a 5820K-based build for under $1500. The following build includes a better CPU cooler, DDR4 RAM, and EVGA's flagship GTX 980 Classified for a lower price than the reference type GTX 980 you were looking at.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($362.95 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card ($575.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1494.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-21 04:57 EDT-0400

That also includes a case, I'm not sure if you need one or not. I didn't include any storage drives because you haven't listed any, I guess you were thinking of reusing your old drives? You said you wanted a new PC in your initial post, but I'm not sure if that means you're going to be reusing parts from your old PC. Can you list your old PC's specs or mention which parts you're thinking of reusing?

The i7 4790K (or the i5 4690K) isn't a bad idea, you'll save more money with that and you could pocket the difference or spend it elsewhere on things like an SSD or something? I can put together a i7 4790K-based build for you no problem, but tell me what you think of the 5820K build, is that within your budget?

Xtyle

This looks good, price wise. I can buy outside of newegg for sure when price is right and from reliable websites.

you are right that I am reusing my hard drives. I already have Evo 850 that's barely a year old so it should do for now.

I will reuse the case too if it fits alright (mine is a mid tower).

I am curious, is the Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz much of a difference from the 3.5GHz in performance? should I get the 4790K @4.0 GHz + DDR3? (I read DDR3 can be faster than DDR4?)

Your choice of parts is alright, but most of them are overpriced. Especially that $595 reference blower GTX 980 which should cost less than $550 and the $110 EVGA Supernova G2 power supply, I've seen that model drop to around $85 in the past.

Do you prefer to buy from Newegg only, or will other retailers do? It's possible to make a 5820K-based build for under $1500. The following build includes a better CPU cooler, DDR4 RAM, and EVGA's flagship GTX 980 Classified for a lower price than the reference type GTX 980 you were looking at.

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card ($575.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1494.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-21 04:57 EDT-0400

That also includes a case, I'm not sure if you need one or not. I didn't include any storage drives because you haven't listed any, I guess you were thinking of reusing your old drives? You said you wanted a new PC in your initial post, but I'm not sure if that means you're going to be reusing parts from your old PC. Can you list your old PC's specs or mention which parts you're thinking of reusing?

The i7 4790K (or the i5 4690K) isn't a bad idea, you'll save more money with that and you could pocket the difference or spend it elsewhere on things like an SSD or something? I can put together a i7 4790K-based build for you no problem, but tell me what you think of the 5820K build, is that within your budget?

RGM79

This looks good, price wise. I can buy outside of newegg for sure when price is right and from reliable websites.

you are right that I am reusing my hard drives. I already have Evo 850 that's barely a year old so it should do for now.

I will reuse the case too if it fits alright (mine is a mid tower).

I am curious, is the Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz much of a difference from the 3.5GHz in performance? should I get the 4790K @4.0 GHz + DDR3? (I read DDR3 can be faster than DDR4?)

Well, can you tell me what case you have? Need to make sure it supports the cooler, of course.

Although the 5820K is a hexa core processor, it doesn't perform that much better when it comes to games. Refer to this post I wrote just an hour ago for more details and comparisons between the 4790K and 5820K.

Right now DDR4 is still very new, and DDR4 performance doesn't quite outstrip DDR3 according to this Anandtech test. It's not totally exact and objective because DDR3 and DDR4 are on different platforms, but it should illustrate how DDR4 is not a huge improvement yet.

Xtyle

this is the case I have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17006&cm_re=CSAZ-1000R-_-11-517-006-_-Product

Tough question, but Is it a better value to get i7 4790 + DDR3?
In general I mostly use it for photoshop work, and hopefully some gaming like Witcher 3 and others later

Could you get a set of i7 4790 + DDR3 please. I will choose either that or the 5820 you made.

Well, can you tell me what case you have? Need to make sure it supports the cooler, of course.

Although the 5820K is a hexa core processor, it doesn't perform that much better when it comes to games. Refer to this post I wrote just an hour ago for more details and comparisons between the 4790K and 5820K.

Right now DDR4 is still very new, and DDR4 performance doesn't quite outstrip DDR3 according to this Anandtech test. It's not totally exact and objective because DDR3 and DDR4 are on different platforms, but it should illustrate how DDR4 is not a huge improvement yet.

Naito

Hello folks, a quick question:

my current system is
i5 2500k
GTX 670 2GB
8GB RAM

and I'm considering either purchase a GTX 970 or wait for a 980Ti
to run better Witcher 3 (I don't aim to run everything ultra).
What do you recommend? Also consider the less cash I invest, the better.

Thank you in advance!

RGM79

this is the case I have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...17006&cm_re=CSAZ-1000R-_-11-517-006-_-Product

Tough question, but Is it a better value to get i7 4790 + DDR3?
In general I mostly use it for photoshop work, and hopefully some gaming like Witcher 3 and others later

Could you get a set of i7 4790 + DDR3 please. I will choose either that or the 5820 you made.

Yeah, the Corsair H100i GTX will fit in that case, no problem. Here's the 4790K build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($315.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1277.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-21 05:51 EDT-0400

I'd say in terms of cost, the 4790K build is better for the price. It will handle Photoshop no problem. Z97 and DDR3 aren't outdated yet. Here's the 5820K build without the case, the difference in price is about $160 between the two.

Total: $1439.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-21 05:57 EDT-0400

Hello folks, a quick question:

my current system is
i5 2500k
GTX 670 2GB
8GB RAM

and I'm considering either purchase a GTX 970 or wait for a 980Ti
to run better Witcher 3 (I don't aim to run everything ultra).
What do you recommend? Also consider the less cash I invest, the better.

Thank you in advance!

We don't know how much the 980 Ti will cost, so it's hard to say. If you don't need the highest settings then the GTX 980 should do just fine. If you can wait for the GTX 980 Ti which is rumored to launch next month, then it might be worth waiting to see if the GTX 980 Ti will be priced well, and/or if they drop the GTX 980's MSRP.

Xtyle

if that's the case, maybe I can keep using my current GPU and wait to see if the 980 will drop in price or if the 980ti will be a better pickup. I have to look at these parts again but I think I will order within a day. Thank you for the links to the parts:)

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Is 150 for an i7 2600k a good deal? would i see much improvement over my 4.5 2500k on something like gtav? my mind says save your money lol, but if i got it my bro would go from an i3 2100 to my current 2500k which i do know would help gta for him drastically. def the cheapest 2600k ive seen

No, don't. Don't even think about it.
Buy the i7 for your brother if you really need it.

pswii60

Games right now don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores and the lower clock speed of the 5820K actually means that at stock clocks, for gaming the 4790K is not very far behind the 5820K and in some games is actually ahead slightly.

The 28 PCI-E lanes that the 5820K offers won't make a difference over the 16 lanes of the 4790K, unless you have a lot of extra hardware like other PCI-E cards and M.2 SSDs that you want to have working at full speed with no bottlenecks.

Is there a reason why you're considering the 5820K? I could only recommend it if you need to do some CPU intensive work or if you have the money to spend and wanted a newer X99 system that was slightly more futureproof than Z97 (DDR4 support) and a hexa core CPU that with overclocking should last a few years longer than the Intel quad cores in the long term.

If gaming is your only concern, I'd actually recommend you consider the i5 4690K. Even cheaper, and for all intents and purposes when it comes to framerate, it will perform about the same as the i7 4790K.

Thanks - I was only considering the 5820k really because I was trying to future-proof a little. But now I think I'll just go with the 4790K, or even the 4690k as you have suggested. Thanks again :)

longdi

Banned
Thanks - I was only considering the 5820k really because I was trying to future-proof a little. But now I think I'll just go with the 4790K, or even the 4690k as you have suggested. Thanks again :)

IMO I will get the 5820k if you are the type who is unlikely to overhaul your PC in the next 3+ years. DDR4 is getting cheap. And we seeing them at 16gb per stick now!

5820k should overclock well enough and it is more satisfying to go from 3.5ghz to 4.4ghz.
4790k the average OC is around 4.6ghz, but it already starts at 4.3ghz. I rather get the power of 2 more cores and a better heat transfer interface of 5820k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom