• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Thanks. This looks very reasonable. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to DVI vs. HDMI? And yes I have a keyboard and mouse already so I am good there.

As far as I understand it, HDMI and DVI carry the same digital video signal (it's possible to use a passive converter to change the plug without affecting the signal itself), but HDMI also supports audio whereas DVI normally doesn't carry audio signals.

Okay, so I thought with the consoles using AMD tech, I'd see some benefit on PC. That could be a pointless theory but games I would have imagined would have been better optimised for AMD set ups.

I have £600.00 and I'm looking for something competitive that I can run UDK with and still get decent 1080p performance out of PS3/360 games like Deus Ex, Skyrim, Fallout etc.

Well, it's not that you couldn't run those games on an AMD system, it's just that APU quad core systems usually don't perform as well as Intel i5 quad core processors. Despite having the same number of cores, the Intel quad core models have always had stronger performance per core than the AMD APUs and games will benefit from that. Intel quad core models cost more, of course. Here are some CPU performance tests, you can see that you'll still get an acceptable framerate with APUs, but Intel i3 and i5 processors just have higher performance. How much better varies by the game, though.

Skyrim: Techspot and Tom's Hardware
Deus Ex Human Revolution: Techspot and Tom's Hardware

I couldn't find CPU benchmarks for Fallout New Vegas. Considering the age of the game, it should run quite well on any recent processor. Given your budget, I'd recommend the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£181.81 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£63.56 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£46.55 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£203.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 335 Upgraded ATX Mid Tower Case (£21.48 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £602.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 22:58 BST+0100

You can still go with an APU build if you prefer to spend less overall or want to leave more money for somewhat better parts elsewhere. Dropping down to an APU-based system means it's possible to include a better CPU cooler, case, SSD, for example.

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£85.14 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.49 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (£46.70 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£54.68 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£65.94 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.97 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£203.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£32.86 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£46.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £599.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 23:12 BST+0100

And there's this £600 prebuilt deal which isn't bad either. Not quite as strong in CPU performance as the £600 i5 4690K and R9 290 build above, but the overall PC should perform somewhat better due to the GTX 970 being more capable than the R9 290, and the i5 4460 not being too far behind the i5 4690K in performance (although the i5 4460 is not overclockable).

Well, I guess for now I'm going to go with this setup... It's just a back-up computer for my wife and myself, just in case, and so hopefully won't be getting used for extended periods of time... And obviously I could always upgrade it later...

But, just let me know if there's any glaring issues with it before I order the stuff (the stuff that I'm ordering is surrounded by * *, the other stuff are things that I already have)

M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2i Processor
GT640 Graphics Card
64GB Crucial SSD
240GB Seagate 600 SSD
Cooler Master Thermal Sink
400W Dynex PSU (yeah, yeah, I know >.> Will it at least power the system? >.>)
Windows 8 (license through my school)
Already have a monitor, keyboard, and input device, so those aren't an issue

*This case*

*8GB of This RAM*

*This wireless adapter*

*This DVD drive*

So, as I said, I know it's not the best, and there are many things that could be upgraded...

But,
1) Did I get everything I need, or am I missing anything?
2) Will that all function together properly?

Thanks =)
It should all work together. The only thing to worry about is if the case will accommodate the CPU cooler. You did not say what cooler you had, but the Sentey case supports up to 150mm tall heatsinks.

ekim

Hello, I have a question. A few months back lordfuzzybutt created the below build based on my necessities:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€235.00 @ Amazon Espana)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€68.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€119.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (€153.83 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€186.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€102.60 @ Amazon Espana)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 980 4GB Phantom Video Card (€609.92 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (€118.46 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€135.83 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €1729.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 00:43 CET+0100

I did not buy the parts yet because I decided to wait for the GTX 980 Ti, but i've recently found a Titan X for a good price here in Europe. My question: Does a Titan X fit in well with the build? And I would probably go for a i7 4790k instead of the i5, what do you guys think?

The Titan X should fit perfectly into the build safe I don't know exactly if a Titan X physically fits into the case but you could just remove one HDD bay then it should definitely fit. And go for the i7 if you are going to sport a Titan X

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That prebuilt £600 PC from box UK doesn't come with an operating system. So depending on whether you have a retail windows 8 disc the overall cost will be quite a bit more than £600

RGM79

any reason I shouldn't grab the 250GB 850 EVO SSD at microcenter for $90?

Seems like a good price. There were some concerns that the 850 Evo might be prone to the same performance issue seen in the older 840 Evo because they both use TLC NAND, but so far no issues have been reported and I'd like to think Samsung would have learned from that experience. Only time will tell if the 850 Evo has the same problem.

I think it's safe to buy.

Hello, I have a question. A few months back lordfuzzybutt created the below build based on my necessities:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (€235.00 @ Amazon Espana)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€68.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€119.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (€153.83 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€186.00 @ Amazon Espana)
Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€102.60 @ Amazon Espana)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 980 4GB Phantom Video Card (€609.92 @ Amazon Espana)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (€118.46 @ Amazon Espana)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€135.83 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €1729.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 00:43 CET+0100

I did not buy the parts yet because I decided to wait for the GTX 980 Ti, but i've recently found a Titan X for a good price here in Europe. My question: Does a Titan X fit in well with the build? And I would probably go for a i7 4790k instead of the i5, what do you guys think?

The parts in that list have all gone up in price, so it'd be best to get that parts list readjusted for price before committing to buy them. How much are you paying for the Titan X?

thespot84

Seems like a good price. There were some concerns that the 850 Evo might be prone to the same performance issue seen in the older 840 Evo because they both use TLC NAND, but so far no issues have been reported and I'd like to think Samsung would have learned from that experience. Only time will tell if the 850 Evo has the same problem.

I think it's safe to buy.

The parts in that list have all gone up in price, so it'd be best to get that parts list readjusted for price before committing to buy them. How much are you paying for the Titan X?

thanks,

Haven't had issues with my 840 EVO yet either

harSon

Banned
I'm looking to move away from my Alienware X51. I upgraded the graphics card to an EVGA GTX 970 and threw 16GB into it - but the enclosure doesn't provide enough air flow for the card so it's a lot louder than I'm willing to live with. But I do like a small form factor, so I was looking at something like a Fractal Node 304. For anyone who owns one, do you think it provides enough air flow to house a fairly silent PC?

As for my next question, what components do ya'll recommend (that'll fit in a Fractal Node 304, or comparable case)? I already have the graphics card (EVGA GTX 970) and Ram (2x8GB PNY XLR8) covered - so I'm looking for everything else. Motherboard, CPU, CPU Fan/Heatsink, PSU, fans, etc.

My budget isn't too constrained, but I'm not looking to splurge either.

Thanks ahead of time!

Ghizz

Hi PC Build Experts!

I have a LGA 1150 motherboard with an i3....and only 1 x 8 GB ram.

I'm thinking of buying an i7 and another 1 x 8 GB ram. Would replacing my processor be as simple as taking the i3 out and plugging the i7 in? Would I have to do anything with the BIOS or drivers before/after?

Also, what i7 should i get? its a mini atx board....and I know nothing about overclocking so am thinking about the stock i7....

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

terrisus

It should all work together. The only thing to worry about is if the case will accommodate the CPU cooler. You did not say what cooler you had, but the Sentey case supports up to 150mm tall heatsinks.

Do I need to buy a separate cooler? Or is that something that comes with the CPU? >.>

Sorry, as I said, haven't really done this before :þ

is the cpu a phenom ii? just curious since i tried googling phenom 2i to no avail lol

also everything looks fine there

Honestly not sure, since I haven't gotten it yet >.>

You're probably right though.

Thanks =)

kennah

Hi PC Build Experts!

I'm thinking of buying an i7 and another 1 x 8 GB ram. Would replacing my processor be as simple as taking the i3 out and plugging the i7 in? Would I have to do anything with the BIOS or drivers before/after?

Also, what i7 should i get? its a mini atx board....and I know nothing about overclocking so am thinking about the stock i7....

Yep, it's that simple. And the stock i7 is super powerful anyway.

Tunned

The Titan X should fit perfectly into the build safe I don't know exactly if a Titan X physically fits into the case but you could just remove one HDD bay then it should definitely fit. And go for the i7 if you are going to sport a Titan X

Thanks for the answers guys. Well I said it was a good price, alternate.de has the Gainward Titan X for 999€, it's expensive, but it's not 1200€.

I also failed to mention that in the end I decided I will sell my current rig by parts, and will reuse the case, an Antec Twelve Hundred, and the power brick, a Corsair TX950 950W. So I will have plenty of room in my tower for the Titan.

Also do any of you guys know if this multicard reader + usb 3.0 any good?

RGM79

Do I need to buy a separate cooler? Or is that something that comes with the CPU? >.>

Thanks =)
You don't need a new cooler, it's easier to just buy a case that is large enough to fit your existing cooler. But to know what case to buy, we need to know what model of cooler you have, or at least you can use a ruler or tape measure to check how tall it is (measure from the base of the cooler at the motherboard.)

I'm looking to move away from my Alienware X51. I upgraded the graphics card to an EVGA GTX 970 and threw 16GB into it - but the enclosure doesn't provide enough air flow for the card so it's a lot louder than I'm willing to live with. But I do like a small form factor, so I was looking at something like a Fractal Node 304. For anyone who owns one, do you think it provides enough air flow to house a fairly silent PC?

As for my next question, what components do ya'll recommend (that'll fit in a Fractal Node 304, or comparable case)? I already have the graphics card (EVGA GTX 970) and Ram (2x8GB PNY XLR8) covered - so I'm looking for everything else. Motherboard, CPU, CPU Fan/Heatsink, PSU, fans, etc.

My budget isn't too constrained, but I'm not looking to splurge either.

Thanks ahead of time!
Hi PC Build Experts!

For the both of you, can you tell us a bit more information? It's easier to recommend parts if you have an idea of how much money you would want to spend, and it'd be helpful to know what kind of games you want to play or what performance you want. And I'm assuming you two are in the US?

I'm just going to go out on a limb and suggest an i5 processor, that's the best price to performance and will handle nearly all games well. Few games actually need an i7 processor.

@harSon: Will you be doing any overclocking? What model of GTX 970 do you have? The twin fan open cooler model or the single fan blower model?

@Ghizz: What model of motherboard do you have exactly? Yes, you can just replace the i3 with a new processor and it will work, no need to fiddle with software or drivers or BIOS.

terrisus

You don't need a new cooler, it's easier to just buy a case that is large enough to fit your existing cooler. But to know what case to buy, we need to know what model of cooler you have, or at least you can use a ruler or tape measure to check how tall it is (measure from the base of the cooler at the motherboard.)

Ah.

Well, I went ahead and ordered stuff, so that everything comes in around the same time.
I guess I'll find out >.>

At least none of the stuff there is too expensive :þ

Arsenic

Okay I'm having a problem. I'm very indecisive and I cannot settle on a case to compliment my tastes and the requirements for the components already purchased.

Minus a new SSD (and I already have 4 storage drives), I have every new component available.

Requirements and reasons why I prefer not to compromise:

- Mid-Tower (no room for anything else)
- Must fit a H100 water cooler
- Windowed (spent time making my componnents match. Would like to show it off)
- Optical Drive (5.25inch bay) at least 1x (but willing to sacrifice if no option)
- USB 3.0 front ports WITHOUT crappy designs requiring you to route the cord from the outside. (Yes i've seen a couple of cases with this terrible design)
- Nothing that will probably be a con that cannot be fixed on my own (rattling, cooling problems, ugly as fuck, flimsiness, etc)

It's very picky, I know, but I feel with the core group of you guys and the experience you have I think can find that case for me. I simply cant do it lol. I also tend to regret purchases I've made. Sooo...

Help please :) Thank you so much.

For the hell of it, here's the rest of my setup:

i7-5820k
MSI X99S
MSI 970
16gb 2400
H100 coolinf
Corsair 750i

kennah

Okay I'm having a problem. I'm very indecisive and I cannot settle on a case to compliment my tastes and the requirements for the components already purchased.

Minus a new SSD (and I already have 4 storage drives), I have every new component available.

Requirements and reasons why I prefer not to compromise:

- Mid-Tower (no room for anything else)
- Must fit a H100 water cooler
- Windowed (spent time making my componnents match. Would like to show it off)
- Optical Drive (5.25inch bay) at least 1x (but willing to sacrifice if no option)
- USB 3.0 front ports WITHOUT crappy designs requiring you to route the cord from the outside. (Yes i've seen a couple of cases with this terrible design)
- Nothing that will probably be a con that cannot be fixed on my own (rattling, cooling problems, ugly as fuck, flimsiness, etc)

It's very picky, I know, but I feel with the core group of you guys and the experience you have I think can find that case for me. I simply cant do it lol. I also tend to regret purchases I've made. Sooo...

Help please :) Thank you so much.

For the hell of it, here's the rest of my setup:

i7-5820k
MSI X99S
MSI 970
16gb 2400
H100 coolinf
Corsair 750i
http://www.caselabs-store.com/merlin-sm8-case/

harSon

Banned
My computer is 100% gonzo, so I bit the bullet and purchased the new computer.

I already had a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 and 2x8GB PNY Ram

I went ahead and purchased an Intel Core i5-4690K CPU and ASUS Z97M-PLUS motherboard. I got a BitFenix Prodigy M case, Corsair CX Series 600 watt PSU, Noctua NH-U12 CPU cooler and some Noctua 120mm and 140mm fans for cooling.

Comments? What SSD should I purchase. From what I understand, the Samsung SSD's have issues at the moment?

RGM79

My computer is 100% gonzo, so I bit the bullet and purchased the new computer.

I already had a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 and 2x8GB PNY Ram

I went ahead and purchased an Intel Core i5-4690K CPU and ASUS Z97M-PLUS motherboard. I got a BitFenix Prodigy M case, Corsair CX Series 600 watt PSU, Noctua NH-U12 CPU cooler and some Noctua 120mm and 140mm fans for cooling.

Comments? What SSD should I purchase. From what I understand, the Samsung SSD's have issues at the moment?

Oh, I was hoping you would reply to my questions before buying any parts. I thought you were going for the Node 304. CX600 isn't great quality, but is at a decent price right now and will handle your needs just fine.

Only the 840 Evo has issues. The 850 Evo appears to be fine at the moment. How large of an SSD were you looking for?

Microcenter has an in-store deal on the 850 Evo right now, 250GB for $90 plus tax. If you don't live near a Microcenter, then the next best thing would be the Crucial BX100/MX200. The 250GB BX100 is $87 plus shipping.

harSon

Banned
Oh, I was hoping you would reply to my questions before buying any parts. I thought you were going for the Node 304. CX600 isn't great quality, but is at a decent price right now and will handle your needs just fine.

Only the 840 Evo has issues. The 850 Evo appears to be fine at the moment. How large of an SSD were you looking for?

Microcenter has an in-store deal on the 850 Evo right now, 250GB for $90 plus tax. If you don't live near a Microcenter, then the next best thing would be the Crucial BX100/MX200. The 250GB BX100 is $87 plus shipping.

I was going to go for the Node 304, but from the looks of it - space is extremely cramped within it and I wanted a bit more air flow. I still have time to cancel/reorder some stuff by the time it ships tomorrow morning. Is there another PSU you'd recommend? I wanted something that's not too big, and relatively easy on cable management/space.

I have a NAS on my network with a 4x4TB array - so HD space is going to pretty much be used exclusively for installations. So a 250-500GB SSD would be plenty big, and the prices on them seem to be dirt cheap in comparison to what they were years ago.

How does the rest of the build look to you?

Engell

There were some concerns that the 850 Evo might be prone to the same because they both use TLC NAND, but so far no issues have been reported and I'd like to think Samsung would have learned from that experience. Only time will tell if the 850 Evo has the same problem.

the 850 evo uses 3D (TLC) V-NAND, the upgrade in technology should have fixed the issues.. and believe me people have been looking hard and long for problems after the 840evo issues.
Still the 840evo issues, as inconvenient as it was, didn't result in data loss for 99% of users, just slowdowns (now fixed)

I have a 840evo, now it doesn't show any signs of slowdown (not that i really noticed when the problem was there, unless i benchmarked it, with very specific tools)

M3z_

Out with the old 970 in with the new Titan X. One powerful little rig.

Thanks BeEatNU

s7iQwNvl.jpg

Ghizz

@Ghizz: What model of motherboard do you have exactly? Yes, you can just replace the i3 with a new processor and it will work, no need to fiddle with software or drivers or BIOS.

MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

I assume I can't OC since its not Z87/97 as I read somewhere earlier today....But it's ok to still buy a i7-4790k and install with no problems right?

I can still upgrade my motherboard later and then OC it with no problems later on when I have the cash?

CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor $124.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $42.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.98 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $294.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $45.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Those are my specs for my build that I built a year and a half ago....stuttering hard on witcher 3 atm so thought I would upgrade my processor....Also, is my powersupply ok?

RGM79

Edit: revised this entire post a couple of hours after I first wrote it for added information and legibility.

I was going to go for the Node 304, but from the looks of it - space is extremely cramped within it and I wanted a bit more air flow. I still have time to cancel/reorder some stuff by the time it ships tomorrow morning. Is there another PSU you'd recommend? I wanted something that's not too big, and relatively easy on cable management/space.

I have a NAS on my network with a 4x4TB array - so HD space is going to pretty much be used exclusively for installations. So a 250-500GB SSD would be plenty big, and the prices on them seem to be dirt cheap in comparison to what they were years ago.

How does the rest of the build look to you?

To be honest, I don't have any cheap suggestions for a compact PSU for either the Node 304 and Bitfenix Prodigy. If you wanted a modular power supply for either of those cases, your options are somewhat limited and probably somewhat expensive. There's the Corsair CX600M ($50 after $20 rebate), the Cooler Master G550M ($55 after $20 rebate) and G650M ($67 after $20 rebate).

I was thinking of suggesting something along the lines of the Corsair 250D ($80), it's more compact than the Bitfenix Prodigy and has excellent cooling for the size. It also doesn't have restrictions on PSU size unlike the Node 304 and Prodigy which recommend power supplies shorter than 140~160mm. To go along with it, I'd recommend a PSU like the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model which is currently $50 after rebate and semi-modular. The 250D will accommodate the slightly longer EVGA PSU no problem, and the semi-modular cabling means you wouldn't have excess unused cables taking up space.

HardOCP was impressed with the 250D's cooling. Bit-Tech compared it to the Node 304 and the Bitfenix Prodigy, the results aren't as good as the Prodigy, but the reviewer admitted that it was possibly due to the non-modular PSU cables getting in the way of proper airflow, and that the Bitfenix Prodigy attained lower temperatures at the cost of being noticeably louder.

There's nothing wrong with the rest of your build. I should say that the Corsair 250D is meant more for water cooling than air cooling, so it doesn't have the clearance for the Noctua NH-U12. I'm not sure how far you would go to change the orders that you've already made, so just take these as suggestions. There's nothing wrong with the parts you chose.

the 850 evo uses V-NAND, so it shouldn't have the issues of the 840
Actually, it still uses TLC NAND. As I understand it, 3D V NAND refers to how the NAND is physically structured, while TLC is a type of NAND.

Edit: I didn't notice in time that you edited your post to reflect that. You are completely right, the issue is just the 840 Evo and likely doesn't affect the 850 Evo.

MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

I assume I can't OC since its not Z87/97 as I read somewhere earlier today....But it's ok to still buy a i7-4790k and install with no problems right? I can still upgrade my motherboard later and then OC it with no problems later on when I have the cash?

CPU Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor $124.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $42.99 @ Newegg
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.98 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $294.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $45.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Those are my specs for my build that I built a year and a half ago....stuttering hard on witcher 3 atm so thought I would upgrade my processor....Also, is my powersupply ok?

According to other users online as well as this Tom's Hardware article, the H81M-P33 is capable of overclocking, but may be limited in how far you can set the voltage. Being an H81 motherboard, don't expect it to overclock as well as a Z87/Z97 motherboard though. It'll still work with the i7 4790K at stock speeds, no problem.

Your PSU is a bit weak. You may need a stronger one. For a normal system with a GTX 760, a PSU with 500~550 watts is recommended. Just 430 watts may not be enough, and it is possible that it could be contributing to stuttering. Looking at the Corsair CX430, there are two versions. You probably have the newer version, but the older version was actually only capable of ~380 watts or so on the 12V rails, according to this forum post.

How well does the Witcher 3 run on the lowest possible settings? Does it still stutter? Or does it only stutter during predictable moments?

MGrant

I'm looking to build a new PC with a budget of $1200-1300. My goal is a 4690K/GTX 980 mini-ITX setup, primarily for 2K gaming and traveling with. I do have three main questions, though:

1. Is there a price drop expected for the OG 980 once the 980Ti hits next month? Or am I good going ahead with my purchase this month? Would love to keep my GPU below a $600 price point, as tempting as it is to spring for a 390X.

2. I plan on subsisting on a 1080p plasma and eventually getting a 2K monitor in a couple months after I save up a bit. 2560x1080 (21:9) monitors have me considering forgoing a 1440p monitor for the wider FOV and slight performance advantages. Is it worth it?

3. Is a G-Sync monitor truly worth the $300 price increase over an ordinary 2K monitor when I plan on playing at 60 fps minimum anyway?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

EDIT: I can't seem to find a 144Hz 21:9 monitor, so I will probably nix that idea.

Water

2. I plan on subsisting on a 1080p plasma and eventually getting a 2K monitor in a couple months after I save up a bit. 2560x1080 (21:9) monitors have me considering forgoing a 1440p monitor for the wider FOV and slight performance advantages. Is it worth it?

3. Is a G-Sync monitor truly worth the $300 price increase over an ordinary 2K monitor when I plan on playing at 60 fps minimum anyway?
If G-Sync was an option when I bought my Eizo FG2421, I would have paid about that much extra for it. But all current 16:9 1080p G-Sync displays have TN panels and not-so-great quality. It would feel silly to me to spend that much on G-Sync while skimping so much on the rest of the display. On any high quality display I think it's worth it for gaming.
EDIT: I can't seem to find a 144Hz 21:9 monitor, so I will probably nix that idea.
One is announced to launch in Q2, so should be available by the time you're upgrading your display.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042486

Seems perfect for gaming if all reported details are correct. I'm personally thinking about productivity use as well, and my work really likes resolution, so 1080p is hard to swallow despite the added horizontal space. I'm more likely to go for the XR341CK that has most of the same good stuff but is limited to 75Hz and has IPS instead of VA. Realistically I wouldn't have the GPU power to run at much more than 75FPS at 3440x1440 anyway.

MisterM

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a new GPU. I never play my PS4 anymore, I cancelled my PS+ sub and it just gathers dust. I'm looking to maybe sell it and use the cash to buy a new GPU. My current PC is the following:

i5-3570 (non-K)
Sapphire 7870XT 2GB (Core clocked at 1100MHz)
16GB DDR3 1333MHz
FoxConn H61m-S Motherboard
OCZ ZS 750w PSU (80+ Bronze)

With the money from the PS4 (and games), I could probably grab a 290X 4GB or a 970 4GB

My questions are:

1) Would my CPU be a bottleneck for either of those cards?
2) Will my PSU be alright for either of these (no plans to Xfire/SLI)?
3) Is it worth waiting for new cards to come out at this point in time?
4) Which one is the better buy currently?

Thanks <3

The Llama

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding a new GPU. I never play my PS4 anymore, I cancelled my PS+ sub and it just gathers dust. I'm looking to maybe sell it and use the cash to buy a new GPU. My current PC is the following:

i5-3570 (non-K)
Sapphire 7870XT 2GB (Core clocked at 1100MHz)
16GB DDR3 1333MHz
FoxConn H61m-S Motherboard
OCZ ZS 750w PSU

With the money from the PS4 (and games), I could probably grab a 290X 4GB or a 970 4GB

My questions are:

1) Would my CPU be a bottleneck for either of those cards?
2) Will my PSU be alright for either of these (no plans to Xfire/SLI)?
3) Is it worth waiting for new cards to come out at this point in time?

Thanks <3

1. Your CPU will be fine for at least another year or 2. Maybe you could try to pick up a cheap "K" CPU off ebay or whatever and overclock it, which would likely get you another year or 2. But that's absolutely not something you need to do.

2. Yeah. Not the greatest PSU but it should be fine.

3. Right now? I think so, given that it seems to be about a month until the new AMD cards, which should hopefully push down the prices of everything else. But its up to you.

MisterM

1. Your CPU will be fine for at least another year or 2. Maybe you could try to pick up a cheap "K" CPU off ebay or whatever and overclock it, which would likely get you another year or 2. But that's absolutely not something you need to do.

3. Right now? I think so, given that it seems to be about a month until the new AMD cards, which should hopefully push down the prices of everything else. But its up to you.

Thanks. I sneakily edited in a fourth question (which one would be a better buy?) but if AMD cards are around a month away it would probably be worth waiting like you suggested.

Tunned

Can some one please recommend a good alternative for the Msi Z97-G55 SLI motherboard, they are no longer on sale anywhere. I live in Spain.

Edit: Recommendations on the internet seem to point to the ASRock Z97 Extreme 4. Seems like a good alternative right?

kennah

He would need a new motherboard to overclock. No point in picking up a K.

Ploppee

Hey guys,

Currently saving up for a new desktop to use in the living room. I'm looking for compact size and decent performance. I'm going to be using it from the sofa with a controller / wireless keyboard and mouse setup, running through a 32" tv.

(I already have a PS4 and don't want a steam machine as I've been really keen to get back into PC gaming)

I'm based in the UK so parts are hella expensive, just wanting to get your guys thoughts on this setup for the price and if you had any recommendations -

Case:
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Case

Processor:
Intel Core i5 4460 Haswell Processor 3.20 GHz (No Overclocking)

CPU Cooler:
Intel Stock Cooler

Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste

Motherboard:
ASUS H81I-PLUS Mini ITX Motherboard

Memory:
8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI 2GB Graphics Card

Hard Drive:
Seagate 1000GB SSHD Hybrid Drive

Power Supply:
Aerocool Premium Grade 500W PSU (80+)

Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 64 bit

This setup will cost £720 from Chillblast.

What do you guys think?

thanks!

What exactly is the difference between a 4+4 Pin ATX12V connector and an 8 Pin EPS12V connector on a PSU? My Semi-Modular version SeaSonic M12II 520 has both attached to it. I've been using all 8 pins of the ATX12V connector to power my 4670K (Not OC'd) for a while because the manual of my MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard called its internal CPU connector an "ATX12V Power Connector".

I haven't had even the smallest hardware problem with my computer since I built it, but I just wanted to ask about this incase I actually used the wrong cable and my CPU isn't getting all of the power it should have or something.

mkenyon

Banned
What exactly is the difference between a 4+4 Pin ATX12V connector and an 8 Pin EPS12V connector on a PSU? My Semi-Modular version SeaSonic M12II 520 has both attached to it. I've been using all 8 pins of the ATX12V connector to power my 4670K (Not OC'd) for a while because the manual of my MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard called its internal CPU connector an "ATX12V Power Connector".

I haven't had even the smallest hardware problem with my computer since I built it, but I just wanted to ask about this incase I actually used the wrong cable and my CPU isn't getting all of the power it should have or something.
No difference.

Some motherboards only require a 4 pin connector for the CPU power, so they include both.
Hey guys,

Currently saving up for a new desktop to use in the living room. I'm looking for compact size and decent performance. I'm going to be using it from the sofa with a controller / wireless keyboard and mouse setup, running through a 32" tv.

(I already have a PS4 and don't want a steam machine as I've been really keen to get back into PC gaming)

I'm based in the UK so parts are hella expensive, just wanting to get your guys thoughts on this setup for the price and if you had any recommendations -

Case:
Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Case

Processor:
Intel Core i5 4460 Haswell Processor 3.20 GHz (No Overclocking)

CPU Cooler:
Intel Stock Cooler

Thermal Paste:
Generic thermal paste

Motherboard:
ASUS H81I-PLUS Mini ITX Motherboard

Memory:
8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)

Graphics Card:
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI 2GB Graphics Card

Hard Drive:
Seagate 1000GB SSHD Hybrid Drive

Power Supply:
Aerocool Premium Grade 500W PSU (80+)

Sound Card:
Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 64 bit

This setup will cost £720 from Chillblast.

What do you guys think?

thanks!
Seems overpriced.

For comparison:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£183.54 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97I AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.93 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£53.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5&quot; Solid State Drive (£157.82 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£169.14 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case (£40.63 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£63.31 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-20 17:22 BST+0100

my pc specs:

i5-2500k
Seasonic M12II 620 BRONZE ; SS-620GM2 80Plus Power Supply
GTX670 FTW 2048MB
8 GB ram
1440p monitor

A buddy gifted me a copy of the witcher 3, would really like to get it at 1440p60

is there any benefit in more ram now? This was built in late 2012 when 8gb was probably fine

I'm thinking more ram + a 980 should get me where I want, right? from what all i've read the CPU isn't going to be a crippling bottleneck for a little more time?

my case is the silencio 550 which should be big enough for the 980

(i'm also wanting to get a water cooling kit so I can really crank up the O/c on the CPU, friend directed me to the corsair hydro series kits, will probably get that if I dont see anything else better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom