• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

komplanen

so lets say i buy a ssd for my system, can i just re-install my OS on the SSD and leave my current OS install on my hard drive so I can move my old files(docs, game installs) over?

Physically install SSD
Remove cable from old OS drive
Install OS on SSD
Once it's all up and running and working and shit, plug in old drive and in BIOS set up the boot priority to SSD 1st, old OS drive 2nd or not at all if possible
Boot to OS
Copy files and shit
Once done and 100% certain it's all there, format old drive (or at least C:\ if you got more logical drives)

Hm, not sure that'll be good enough for 144hz, but I may be wrong. I only know/think that because I had a similar build but with an i7 (4790k) and was told that I would need to OC a bit to get 144hz working really well.

See below and follow the quotes:

Someone who knows a lot more will probably chime in with options!

Thanks! Yeah, the 144hz is more for less intensive games and because I know I need to drop ~200$ on a monitor regardless.

Canadian prices are somewhat hard to work around. The Power supply and Windows OS price were manually set, does this mean you already bought the items? I'm assuming you already did.

Here's my version of your build, about $130 would be saved with my changes. I'll list the reasons for some of the parts changes.

Thanks so much! The manual prices were just because it wasn't pulling the correct NCIX prices for some reason. I'll definitely be making some changes based on this advice.

Skylake will probably take the same amount of time to come out on desktops.

Not according to their roadmap:

Q4OFYTi.jpg

Going to take the plunge right now guys, just wanted to be sure its all in order.
pcfinal2015y6sn0.png

The other gigabyte 970 put yesterday in my basket (G1 Gaming) is already sold out today, so I changed to the windforece 3X that is a little cheaper, and I bought a heatsink with the difference in cost (coller master 212 evo).
I says is 2mm longer than what the case allows, but ive already seen a bunch of videos with the same case that have the same heatsink without much problem.

Thanks in advance. Cant wait to have my new PC.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks good. I might suggest swapping out the SSD for a Crucial MX/BX if it's substantially cheaper (which it is here).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASUS finally coming out with a mATX X99 board. It may be time for me to go Haswell-E.

jdn9O8d.png

and, @Kennah

vhQ4wcE.png

Maybe it's a silly question: but what's a viable 980ti alternative right now? Staying with green team.

If I'm going to wait weeks or months to get ahold of one of the new cards I'll just look somewhere else as a stop-gap until VR hmds and games are available (that's when I'll be upgrading again).

Maybe it's a silly question: but what's a viable 980ti alternative right now? Staying with green team.

If I'm going to wait weeks or months to get ahold of one of the new cards I'll just look somewhere else as a stop-gap until VR hmds and games are available (that's when I'll be upgrading again).

What do you mean with viable alternative? The only thing that compares to it in the Nvidia offering is the Titan X, but that one is a few hundred dollars more expensive.

From that you can only go to cards with worse performance. 980, 970, 960. You figure out what you want to do with the card.

What do you mean with viable alternative? The only thing that compares to it in the Nvidia offering is the Titan X, but that one is a few hundred dollars more expensive.

From that you can only go to cards with worse performance. 980, 970, 960. You figure out what you want to do with the card.

I meant including SLI; 970s SLI should be comparable; 980s sli should outperform it, right?

I forgot to say I'm on a Titan 6gb.

mkenyon

Banned
I meant including SLI; 970s SLI should be comparable; 980s sli should outperform it, right?

I forgot to say I'm on a Titan 6gb.
As long as there are SLI profiles, then yes. You do get a frame of input lag as well. I'd suggest waiting for one to come in stock rather than buying two lower performing cards.

Maniac

Banned
Are there any Danish retailers that you prefer to shop with? I don't mind looking through there for recommendations to give you.

As for the cooler, what case do you have and how much would you feel like spending? Thinking of overclocking and/or want something silent? That will determine overall compatibility and what you should get. Corsair Vengeance RAM comes in a couple of different sizes, do you have a model number or link for us to look at?

I don't have any real preference, to be honest. And I'm having a hard time deciding between silence vs performance... My 3770k is doing quite well for the time being, but I would obviously want it to last for as long as possible, so... I guess I'd prefer a dang good cooler that's good for overclocking. My case is an NZXT Phantom 410. I don't have the email lying around anymore, so I'm not quite sure in regards to the ram. I do know that they're from this particular Vengeance series: http://www.corsair.com/se-fi/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a1866c10r

... If that's of any help. Cheers! :)

What's the Up/Down on a 295x2? I can find them under the $650 that a 980 ti would run me, and it seems to keep up with or handily beat the Titan X or 980 ti in a number of games.

What's the catch? Not really considering buying a graphics card at the moment, but it just struck me as odd.

lord

What is the cheapest way to buy a legit windows license? Not MSDN or such things. Preferably 8 or one with a cheap upgrade path to it.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the Up/Down on a 295x2? I can find them under the $650 that a 980 ti would run me, and it seems to keep up with or handily beat the Titan X or 980 ti in a number of games.

What's the catch? Not really considering buying a graphics card at the moment, but it just struck me as odd.
It's in crossfire. There's two GPUs. So, to have solid performance, you need to have Crossfire Profiles. Even then, there's the typical multiple card tradeoffs (frame of input lag, less consistent frame delivery, etc).

How much is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0ghz bottlenecking a GTX 970? I'm running this setup now while waiting for all my parts to arrive and I'm surprised by how good it runs Witcher 3 at Ultra settings @30fps. Will I see a huge performance increase with a 4790k and DDR3?

mkenyon

Banned
How much is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0ghz bottlenecking a GTX 970? I'm running this setup now while waiting for all my parts to arrive and I'm surprised by how good it runs Witcher 3 at Ultra settings @30fps. Will I see a huge performance increase with a 4790k and DDR3?
A decent amount. It's more about chugging and inconsistent frame delivery than it is a general FPS # though. But yes, you will see huge performance increases across the board with a 4790K.

A decent amount. It's more about chugging and inconsistent frame delivery than it is a general FPS # though. But yes, you will see huge performance increases across the board with a 4790K.
Awesome, I was a little nervous getting a 970 to push 1440p, but if these are the results i'm seeing, i'm no longer worried.

mkenyon

Banned
Awesome, I was a little nervous getting a 970 to push 1440p, but if these are the results i'm seeing, i'm no longer worried.
Yeah, I wouldn't even fret. My 780 Ti still pushing >120FPS in all the games I play at 1440p. But I generally turn down settings till it gets there. But just the fact that it *can* get there is great.

RGM79

Would it be foolish to go with something like an i3 4170 CPU over an i5 model? I'm trying to keep costs down for my first build, but I'm wondering if its better to just go with an i5 as I'm guessing it's more future proof?

I'm not looking to build a beast, just looking to get my foot in the door with something that will run better than my PS4.

Is this any good?

Case- BitFenix Neos White/Blue ATX Mid Tower
CPU- Intel i3-4370
Motherboard- Asus H97m Pro LGA1150 mATX
Memory- Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
PSU- EVGA 600B 600 watt 80+ Bronze
HDD- WD Blue 1TB
GPU- GTX 960 2GB

Might go with an R9 280X 3GB if I can get one for around $200.

What are the prices of the parts you're looking at? Country and budget? If you don't mind going with a cheaper H81/B85 motherboard, you can probably fit the i5 processor into your budget.

I don't have any real preference, to be honest. And I'm having a hard time deciding between silence vs performance... My 3770k is doing quite well for the time being, but I would obviously want it to last for as long as possible, so... I guess I'd prefer a dang good cooler that's good for overclocking. My case is an NZXT Phantom 410. I don't have the email lying around anymore, so I'm not quite sure in regards to the ram. I do know that they're from this particular Vengeance series: http://www.corsair.com/se-fi/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a1866c10r

... If that's of any help. Cheers! :)

There's the Noctua NH-U14S starting at 515 kr, it offers good cooling performance and noise levels while maintaining smaller width to be compatible with most motherboards and RAM modules, although as stated on their website it may interfere with the closest RAM slot on socket 115X motherboards.

Yeah, I wouldn't even fret. My 780 Ti still pushing >120FPS in all the games I play at 1440p. But I generally turn down settings till it gets there. But just the fact that it *can* get there is great.

Think a 970 could handle 1440p 100+ fps with lowered settings (preferably not super low)?

I'm planning on picking up a 1440p 144Hz monitor this year, and also I need a new vid card (probably first).

zon

Hey guys, I will soon upgrade most of my computer and these are the parts I've decided on for the time being:

CPU: Intel 4790K
MB: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB DDR3 PC-17000 2133MHz CL9
GPU: GTX 980 Ti EVGA SC+
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
HDD: Seagate SV35 3TB
SCREEN: Acer XB270HU

I already own a Corsair 750W PSU.

Everything is compatible with each other right? Anything else I've missed or is it looking good? It's been around 8 years since I last made any major changes to my pc so I'm rusty when it comes to hardware. Any input would be appreciated.

RGM79

Hey guys, I will soon upgrade most of my computer and these are the parts I've decided on for the time being:

CPU: Intel 4790K
MB: Gigabyte Z97X-SOC FORCE
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB DDR3 PC-17000 2133MHz CL9
GPU: GTX 980 Ti EVGA SC+
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
HDD: Seagate SV35 3TB
SCREEN: Acer XB270HU

I already own a Corsair 750W PSU.

Everything is compatible with each other right? Anything else I've missed or is it looking good? It's been around 8 years since I last made any major changes to my pc so I'm rusty when it comes to hardware. Any input would be appreciated.

Looks fine to me, no compatibility issues. What case and CPU cooler will you be using, though?

I'm wanting to upgrade. I had originally planned on waiting for Skylake but apparently it might not be much better than current cpus.

I am going to wait for E3 and see what AMD announces.

I play at 1080p and mostly play console ports.

Current specs are:

i5 750
HD 7970 ghz
8GB RAM

I plan on spending around $2000 on a new build.

Will a pc built with that budget be able to keep up for at least 3-4 years? I plan on upgrading the GPU periodically.

Darknight

Any suggestions for the best 80mm fans that are quiet and move some air? Besides the Noctuas which are too expensive, I found the "SilenX" line an alternative but Im not sure myself. Some reviews say they are loud and not "quiet" as expected.

Just seeking if anyone has first hand experience with them. Looking for 2 as I may build a rig with an HAF XB evo case.

RGM79

I'm wanting to upgrade. I had originally planned on waiting for Skylake but apparently it might not be much better than current cpus.

I am going to wait for E3 and see what AMD announces.

I play at 1080p and mostly play console ports.

Current specs are:

i5 750
HD 7970 ghz
8GB RAM

I plan on spending around $2000 on a new build.

Will a pc built with that budget be able to keep up for at least 3-4 years? I plan on upgrading the GPU periodically.

USA? Easily. You can afford hexa core i7, X99, maybe even GTX 980 Ti or AMD Fury on that budget.

Are you also buying monitors and peripherals on that budget?

Any suggestions for the best 80mm fans that are quiet and move some air? Besides the Noctuas which are too expensive, I found the "SilenX" line an alternative but Im not sure myself. Some reviews say they are loud and not "quiet" as expected.

Just seeking if anyone has first hand experience with them. Looking for 2 as I may build a rig with an HAF XB evo case.

Unfortunately, 80mm fans will have to spin quite fast (and loud) to move a considerable amount of air, and they're not that common nowadays. Maybe a fan controller for them would be a solution, you can control noise levels as needed. Unfortunately, I don't know of any suggestions for quiet 80mm fans.

An old case by Silverstone, the thing is huge so size is not a problem. this is the chassis: http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=90&area=en

I'll use my current CPU cooler which is a NH-U12P.

Alright, that seems good. Forgot to ask, why the Seagate 3TB 5900RPM surveillance drive? You could get a Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM drive instead for less than $100. The Seagate SV35 is more expensive and slightly slower?

MattyG

Banned
I just installed a new 970 and switched everything over to a new case. I plugged it in, pressed the power button and... the light blinked but it didn't turn on. Pushed the button again, no blink. I have no idea what happened. Any ideas as to why it won't turn on? I'm kind of panicking about this. I probably fucked something up.

RGM79

I just installed a new 970 and switched everything over to a new case. I plugged it in, pressed the power button and... the light blinked but it didn't turn on. Pushed the button again, no blink. I have no idea what happened. Any ideas as to why it won't turn on? I'm kind of panicking about this. I probably fucked something up.

Check the power supply cables, as well as front panel header cables. Unplug and replug them in if you have to.

MattyG

Banned
Check the power supply cables, as well as front panel header cables. Unplug and replug them in if you have to.
I got it! The chassis fan was plugged in and apparently there is not chassis fan. I guess the case wouldn't let it turn on with that plugged in or something. Thanks for the help!

I have a couple questions.

Does anyone know or is there anywhere to find out if the MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V or Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition runs cooler? Unless the radeon reveal is something amazing in the coming weeks I'm between those two cards and I think this is a final factor.

Does the bitfenix prodigy/prodigy M tip/fall over easily? It doesn't look very stable tbh, I know it's wobbly, but does it fall as easily as it looks like it would?

Is it worth buying an SSD basically just the OS alone?

Cheers.

What is the cheapest way to buy a legit windows license? Not MSDN or such things. Preferably 8 or one with a cheap upgrade path to it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

MisterNoisy

Does anyone know or is there anywhere to find out if the MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V or Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition runs cooler? Unless the radeon reveal is something amazing in the coming weeks I'm between those two cards and I think this is a final factor.

Does the bitfenix prodigy/prodigy M tip/fall over easily? It doesn't look very stable tbh, I know it's wobbly, but does it fall as easily as it looks like it would?

Cheers.

I'd imagine both are about the same. I have the MSI Gaming 970 100ME (TFV with green highlights and a backplate) and am pleased as punch with how quiet and cool the card runs, especially after tinkering with the fan profile. My previous card (OC'd 670) was a Gigabyte with the three-fan Windforce cooler and I was equally pleased with it. Don't worry about the Prodigy tipping over - the base is wiggly because of the plastic handles/feet, but you'd really have to give it a solid punt to knock it over, especially since it'll weigh about 25-30# loaded down with your hardware and the weight is all in the bottom/middle once you build. Get the SSD - a 120+ GB SSD for the OS and your most used productivity stuff is probably the best single usability upgrade you can do for day to day computing.

On another note, I think the latest nVidia drivers are a little rough - after upgrading from the GTA5 release (350.12), I couldn't run any 3D applications on my 970 without gobs of artifacting and hard lockups. On top of that, I couldn't even change any settings in the nVidia CP - kept getting the 'Access Denied' error. Only way to fix all of the issues was to remove/DDU all of the nVidia software and then revert to 350.12 - only installing the base driver and PhysX (no GFE, even). Is anyone else with a 970 having issues with the most recent release?

Cheers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftso...rd-to-pick-cooling-noise-levels-and-power-use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom