• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayant

Yh was talking more about the default ones which are sleeved not individually but a lot nicer than standard ribbon cables :)
cables1.jpg

Edit - On second thought watching the their intro video they do have same style cables on the RMi series just have the ribbon ones for sata/peripheral

kennah

That'll mark the day when your proc is way ahead of what I have. :p

Though really, what do you need the extra PCI-E lanes for over the 5820k?
5820k is over 500$. This would be a used one from the dazmode.com forum
Ir would be so wasted in my itx system lol

Crisium

What features do you really need? 970 and aftermarket 290x trade blows, usually favouring 290x at uhd. So going Nvidia won't really be worth it from a performance standpoint.

GRaider81

Could someone help me here (absolute noob)

I have a rough budget of £1k. With that I also
Need to get windows, keyboard and mouse (plan on using DS4 or xbone controller).

I also need as small a case as I can get away with.

Also should I be getting another hard disk?

Ive got a rough setup here so far but be as critical as you want! Anything I should swap out, upgrade?

Im also prepared to wait to see what prices etc do in the next month.

Just as a rough idea how much better will a rig like this perform compared to ps4/xbone?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£176.34 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£104.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£48.50 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£68.51 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£257.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£52.48 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (£67.95 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse (£25.44 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £802.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-03 20:37 BST+0100

CMDBob

Featurewise, I just prefer all of nvidia's software, like Shadowplay and that. (Plus, I know stuff's different now and I probably got unlucky at the time, but the last 2 AMD/ATI cards I had both died very quickly, and I've always hated the Catalyst Control Center.)

Plus, I usually play games at 1280x800 windowed anyway...

TURBOEDIT: Seen the 970 I want for 257 quid with a copy of Arkham Knight included too, might just go for that, unless the 290X I want has it too...
TURBOEDIT2: Seems like the Never Settle bundle offer's finished. 970 it is.

Hayvic

GAF, got a difficult decision here. I'm getting a new GPU, and I've got about £280 to spend. I was initially going for this card, the MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr.

But then a mate told me about this card; the ASUS Radeon R9 290X DirectCU II, which happens to be a fair bit cheaper...

I can't decide which card to get, really. I do like the nvidia features and that, but the price of the AMD card... Any thoughts?

Don't make a decision just yet. Wait for the R390 announcement. It might push down the prices of older cards. It's what I'm doing.

CMDBob

Don't make a decision just yet. Wait for the R390 announcement. It might push down the prices of older cards. It's what I'm doing.

Trouble is, I've been waiting and seeing for too long. My nearly three and a half year old 660's almost had it as it is. I probably will end up waiting, but it's getting bloody annoying.

why is everything so expensive here in canada?

i have been eagerly awaiting for the new amd hbm gpus, but just looking at the rumoured 390x prices (290x "rebrand") it is already at 500 bucks. my goodness and that's not even the amd hbm gpu cards.

maybe i'll get a ps4, then? ugh...

Quick question: are CPUs drop in replacements on the same socket? I'm on a Z87 chipset 1150 socket and am wanting to upgrade to a 4770k from a 4670k. Aside from resetting my overclocks, I don't need to do anything else right?

Seems wasteful to upgrade just for HT. Wait for desktop Broadwell i7? Gets you better IPC too.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9320/intel-broadwell-review-i7-5775c-i5-5765c

Edit: oh would this even work with his?

Yeah, I don't care about the CPU jump so much as I care about not having to rebuild again. It looks like basically the same performance, albeit at a much lower TDP. Anyway, I've started editing video (for funsies, not work or anything) and I've been starved for threads.

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
What's the best mid-range Intel CPU on the market now? I'm looking to upgrade. I like to stick to the 200$ price range for any component. Here are my specs...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155
Intel i3 2120
GTX 960 SSC
8GB RAM

Thanks

Kayant

If im using the pc purely for gaming will I need more storage than a 250gb ssd?

Heavily depends on what kinds of games you want to play. Big games tend to be 40GB+.

Regarding your build here are some things I would change/add. In terms of cases you want a micro-atx or mini-itx case which will require a micro-atx or mini-itx motherboard respectively.

Some cases to look into -

NXZT Source 340

Corsair air 240

Fractal Design Node 804

Also I would switch out your power supply for this much higher quality and fully modular.

You can also look into getting windows from reddit for about £15

Kayant

What's the best mid-range Intel CPU on the market now? I'm looking to upgrade. I like to stick to the 200$ price range for any component. Here are my specs...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155
Intel i3 2120
GTX 960 SSC
8GB RAM

Thanks

I would go with i5-4460 and pair that with a H81, H87 or B85 motherboard since the cpu is not a k part and doesn't support over clocking.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just a curiosity, can swapping a VGA without unpligging the PSU from the wall first damage a component, like the motherboard?

I've just taken a step into a much larger world. I'm getting my first G-sync 144hz monitor! I ordered the Acer XB270H. Some of you may question my 1080p choice. I've decided I'm going from 1080p to 4k. No in between. I'll hop on the 4k bandwagon when I can do 4k at 60 fps on Ultra Settings with a single graphics card. Now, to wait for the Classified 980 Ti to come out. Come on EVGA!

Kayant

Just a curiosity, can swapping a VGA without unpligging the PSU from the wall first damage a component, like the motherboard?

I don't think so I recently swapped out my displayport to a HDMI while in windows because I was debugging something and everything has been fine.

Question for those of you with experience with G-sync. I know I enable g-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel. I want to make sure V-sync is disabled in both in game and the Nvidia control planel, correct? Basically, I want to know the optimal way to have it set up. Thanks.

Man

2008 was the last time I built myself a PC.

Is thermal paste still a thing these days or has it evolved to more straightforward plug&play solutions?

Planning on making a VR rig this September consisting of:
GTX 980Ti (EVGA Hybrid)
Intel Skylake
mATX motherboard/cabinet
DDR4
SSD
144HZ G-sync monitor
Win 10 / DX12

Man

I see that stock-Intel CPU coolers now come with thermal paste pre-applied. That should make it a bit easier.

Smokey

I've just taken a step into a much larger world. I'm getting my first G-sync 144hz monitor! I ordered the Acer XB270H. Some of you may question my 1080p choice. I've decided I'm going from 1080p to 4k. No in between. I'll hop on the 4k bandwagon when I can do 4k at 60 fps on Ultra Settings with a single graphics card. Now, to wait for the Classified 980 Ti to come out. Come on EVGA!

Congratssssssss

Question for those of you with experience with G-sync. I know I enable g-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel. I want to make sure V-sync is disabled in both in game and the Nvidia control planel, correct? Basically, I want to know the optimal way to have it set up. Thanks.

Vsync disabled in game. If you have vsync disabled in the NVCP then once frame rate gets above your monitors refresh rate it will tear again. This is a new development that has come from the latest NV drivers. GSYNC and Vsync used to be bundled under the same option.

mkenyon

Banned
Congratssssssss

Vsync disabled in game. If you have vsync disabled in the NVCP then once frame rate gets above your monitors refresh rate it will tear again. This is a new development that has come from the latest NV drivers. GSYNC and Vsync used to be bundled under the same option.
Yeah, but I never notice tearing above 144hz. Granted, I almost always have ULMB enabled instead in games where I know I'll be getting that kind of performance.

velociraptor

I currently don't have a GPU in my PC and I'm not sure what to do.

When I buy GPUs, I only like to buy them once and update after 3-4 years.

Do I buy a cheap GPU now from eBay and wait for the 2016 releases, or do I wait for AMD's offerings?

How much more powerful are the 2016 iterations expected to be?

mkenyon

Banned
Maxwell (NVIDIA) has been fully launched as of this week. AMDs stuff will also be out this week. We won't be seeing new stuff for a really long time.

Congratssssssss

Yeah, but I never notice tearing above 144hz. Granted, I almost always have ULMB enabled instead in games where I know I'll be getting that kind of performance.

Thanks. I'll try it with v-sync off and I'll turn on if I notice tearing with anything above 144hz.

IceIpor

I currently don't have a GPU in my PC and I'm not sure what to do.

When I buy GPUs, I only like to buy them once and update after 3-4 years.

Do I buy a cheap GPU now from eBay and wait for the 2016 releases, or do I wait for AMD's offerings?

How much more powerful are the 2016 iterations expected to be?
If you want to game on your PC anytime this year, buy now (after June 16th for any possible price cuts).

Otherwise, 14nm is scheduled for next year and should hopefully bring more advancements along with DX12 and Vulkan.

youzen

Ok - I do not own a desktop (only a laptop) and i haven't built my own computer in 10+ years. So, :|

I've never been a PC gamer (console only), but I'm wanting to start getting into that. So, I'm getting the desktop for mainly gaming, but I'll use it from some photoshop and other statistics programs (SAP, SPSS, data analytics software, etc.) (nothing major, major performance extensive or anything).

Here's my list:
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black ($119.00)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.24)
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($103.99)
  • Monitor: AOC G2460PQU 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99)
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($18.22)
  • Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.99)
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($117.99)
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($530.09)
  • Total: $1,710.48
These aren't the "best" prices as most of these are from Amazon. I have some Amazon gift cards and other Amazon money that I would want to order from Amazon.

I've looked around and tried to "research," but, honestly, I'm clueless on a lot and I'm afraid this is just a mishmash of stuff that might not work well together.

Any advice would be helpful.

Stubo

I see that stock-Intel CPU coolers now come with thermal paste pre-applied. That should make it a bit easier.
Thermal paste really isn't that bad, however if it worries you that much you could look at an AIO cooler.

I'm fairly sure the corsair models come with pre-applied paste much like the stock Intel heatsink, but they will be cooler and quieter especially if you're going to overclock your CPU.

Zaph

Any consumer-grade boards with mini-SAS HD ports revealed at computex yet? Kinda asking for a lot, but I like keeping my work and gaming rig combined...

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I don't think so I recently swapped out my displayport to a HDMI while in windows because I was debugging something and everything has been fine.

I meant GPU sorry.

Like, swapping a 570 with a 970 for example. With the PC shut off obviosly, but with the PSU still plugged in the wall.

mkenyon

Banned
this looks pretty great
I suppose this is a good halfway point for, "Red or White?" :p
Ok - I do not own a desktop (only a laptop) and i haven't built my own computer in 10+ years. So, :|

I've never been a PC gamer (console only), but I'm wanting to start getting into that. So, I'm getting the desktop for mainly gaming, but I'll use it from some photoshop and other statistics programs (SAP, SPSS, data analytics software, etc.) (nothing major, major performance extensive or anything).

Here's my list:
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black ($119.00)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99)
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.24)
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($103.99)
  • Monitor: AOC G2460PQU 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99)
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($18.22)
  • Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.99)
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($117.99)
  • Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card ($530.09)
  • Total: $1,710.48
These aren't the "best" prices as most of these are from Amazon. I have some Amazon gift cards and other Amazon money that I would want to order from Amazon.

I've looked around and tried to "research," but, honestly, I'm clueless on a lot and I'm afraid this is just a mishmash of stuff that might not work well together.

Any advice would be helpful.
Looks good honestly. Only thing is that I might swap out the SSD for this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RQA6TEI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and the PSU for this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVN20AO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

980s are getting an official MSRP price cut to $499, so wait on that.

You could entirely drop the optical drive if you don't have a specific use for it. I haven't put one in a PC in 5+ years.

And your motherboard pick is great, but this just happens to be at a good price right now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2R6EGA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom