• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
After checking parts for about a month now, I'm at a loss at where to start. All I have is a budget and no direction to go. I was wondering if I can get some help with parts selection.

I'll be buying everything from NCIX Canada since they'll assemble it all for me.

Apologies in advance for breaking from the format a little:

Your Current Specs: Not going to reuse any parts from my current rig since it's all too old.
Budget: Between $700-$1000 (Canadian)
Main Use: 1-4 in this order: Gaming, light gaming, video/photo editing (Adobe suite), General Usage (Word, PP, Excel)
Monitor Resolution: Reusing my 1080p monitor, but would like to move up to a higher resolution in the future - can always change the card to accommodate
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Currently released games - Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, GTAV in high/highest setting would be nice, but I have realistic expectations with my budget.
When will you build?: No particular deadline, but I wouldn't mind getting started within this month or next.
Will you be overclocking?: Most likely not (does this mean yes, then?)

That's 21:9

Not, it is not weird. My brother has one and loves it for MOBAs.
Thanks! Looking into it further makes me think I'm just going to hold off for the time being. It seems like not every game supports 21:9 and I feel like I'll end up regretting not spending more for a 1440p monitor down the road.

RGM79

Gaf, I see a Macbook Pro 15 with AMD 370X 512GB SDD for $1500 on Craigslist. Is this deal good?

That sounds like the top of the line $2500 Macbook Pro 2015 model. If it runs well and is in good physical condition, then it sounds like a good deal for $1000 off the regular price if you absolutely prefer a Mac.

Of course, you should ask about boxes, receipts, make sure of the warranty status, etc.

RGM79

After checking parts for about a month now, I'm at a loss at where to start. All I have is a budget and no direction to go. I was wondering if I can get some help with parts selection.

I'll be buying everything from NCIX Canada since they'll assemble it all for me.

Apologies in advance for breaking from the format a little:

Your Current Specs: Not going to reuse any parts from my current rig since it's all too old.
Main Use: 1-4 in this order: Gaming, light gaming, video/photo editing (Adobe suite), General Usage (Word, PP, Excel)
Monitor Resolution: Reusing my 1080p monitor, but would like to move up to a higher resolution in the future - can always change the card to accommodate
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Currently released games - Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, GTAV in high/highest setting would be nice, but I have realistic expectations with my budget.
When will you build?: No particular deadline, but I wouldn't mind getting started within this month or next.
Will you be overclocking?: Most likely not (does this mean yes, then?)

Does your budget include taxes or Windows?

Whether you absolutely want to overclock or not is up to you, but we usually recommend processors and motherboards with overclocking ability for a longer useful lifespan. That means we recommend the current generation i5 4690K or i7 4790K where possible. The old i5 2500K processor is a good example of that. Despite being a four year old processor, it's still quite capable today because of its ability to overclock and nearly match current generation processors in performance, whereas anyone with a non-overclocking processor from the same generation will probably feel the need to replace their CPU already.

Well, I think a build like this would serve you best:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($286.75 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.98 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $843.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 04:11 EDT-0400

All of those parts are available from NCIX, but some of them are cheaper elsewhere like the processor. You should add all of these items to the cart, and then click the pricematch button in the shopping cart page. You will be able to tell NCIX what the competitors' prices and webpages are for the items you want to pricematch. I think this should total at just around $1000 CAD when taking in Ontario's 13% tax rate, the pricematching discount, and the $50 assembly fee into account.

Normally we recommend an aftermarket CPU cooler to go along with an overclockable processor like the 4690K, but if you won't be overclocking soon then you can save the money and just get it sometime in the future. The CPU comes with a basic cooler that is just adequate for normal use and it helps keep the build within your budget, anyway. The Corsair case should be good enough to accommodate most decent aftermarket CPU coolers, anyway.

I've thought about AMD as an alternative choice for the graphics card, but there's nothing available at a good cost to fit inside your budget at the moment. The R9 280 is too expensive while the next step down, the R9 270X is not as good as the GTX 960. You said you wouldn't mind changing the graphics card in the future to suit a better monitor, so the GTX 960 isn't a bad 1080p gaming card for now. Batman Arkham Knight isn't out yet so there aren't any detailed performance benchmarks, but according to this Techspot performance benchmark article on the Witcher 3 the GTX 960 can push just above 30FPS on high settings and a bit below 60FPS on medium settings (both at 1080p).

luffeN

Hello guys!

Friend finally has the money to build a new pc. The pc should be "perfect" for 1080p gaming and GTA V should run without a hitch. These are the guidelines more or less.

The budget is: 1000 Euro (a little bit more won't probably hurt)
Buying in Germany / Austria

We currently have these parts in mind:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 (doesn't want to overclock, but if the price stays the same with a better CPU then go for it)
SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250GB or Crucial MX 100 256GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistics Sport 8GB DDR3-1600
GPU: GTX 970 (Asus Strix?)

What we still need:

Mainboard
HDD
CPU Cooler?
Case/Tower (Fractal Define R5? Doesn't need to be silent, plays mostly with headphones)
PSU (Modular, Gold if needed)
CD/DVD drive

I think that's it. We want to order as soon as possible. Thanks for your help!

Rolfgang

I finally built my first PC and everything went pretty good. Got all the parts in and it booted up fine, but it isn't recognizing any usb keyboard, so I can't get to the BIOS. I'm stuck - anyone had this problem before or would know why my usb keyboards aren't working (I've tried 3 different ones and tried each USB2.0 outlet)?

The motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem today (what are the odds?) and I fixed it by turning off my PC and then hold the Power Button until you hear three beeps or - in my case - wait until the PC turns on again. I saw my keyboard light up before the MSI-screen and could just press Delete to access the BIOS. I hope this works for you!

Is now a good time to be building a PC or are there new cards/processors coming out in the next few months that I should wait for? I'm looking at going with a 4690k and GTX 970, but am not really in a rush so if there is new stuff coming out this fall that will be in a similar price range I may be inclined to wait.

Thanks guys

Is now a good time to be building a PC or are there new cards/processors coming out in the next few months that I should wait for? I'm looking at going with a 4690k and GTX 970, but am not really in a rush so if there is new stuff coming out this fall that will be in a similar price range I may be inclined to wait.

Thanks guys

Both new AMD cards and the new intel Skylake gen are both supposed to debut in the next few months/around fall so I am definitely waiting. But there will always be something better on the horizon.

I would wait.

Rolfgang

Thanks guys

AMD will be revealing/releasing their stuff at E3 on June 16. The next generation of (big line) new cards will probably be Q2 2016.

How well is 1440p being supported right now? I might change my mind of trying t push for a 4k computer and just do 1440p even though 4k is such a popular buzzword going around right now. I would hope to just upgrade if 4k becomes more popular. Someone suggested instead of going the SLI route with two 980 ti I should consider one Titan X. Does that make sense?

Both new AMD cards and the new intel Skylake gen are both supposed to debut in the next few months/around fall so I am definitely waiting. But there will always be something better on the horizon.

I would wait.

AMD will be revealing/releasing their stuff at E3 on June 16. The next generation of (big line) new cards will probably be Q2 2016.

Awesome thanks guys

Hello guys!

Friend finally has the money to build a new pc. The pc should be "perfect" for 1080p gaming and GTA V should run without a hitch. These are the guidelines more or less.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 (doesn't want to overclock, but if the price stays the same with a better CPU then go for it)

What we still need:

Mainboard
HDD
CPU Cooler?
Case/Tower (Fractal Define R5? Doesn't need to be silent, plays mostly with headphones)
CD/DVD drive

Are you using https://pcpartpicker.com/ for the build? It would be easier for us so we can see the current prices on the build and for us to make recommendations. Example, the processor, how much are you paying for? How much of the budget is gone / left?

You also may want to swap that Xeon out of possible, it's going to jack up the price.

Rolfgang

How well is 1440p being supported right now? I might change my mind of trying t push for a 4k computer and just do 1440p even though 4k is such a popular buzzword going around right now. I would hope to just upgrade if 4k becomes more popular. Someone suggested instead of going the SLI route with two 980 ti I should consider one Titan X. Does that make sense?

1440p is the sweet spot in my opinion for GTX 980 Ti/Titan X and probably the Fury-cards. And that someone that suggested going for a Titan X instead of 980 Ti SLI shoud probably see a doctor, because reference cards of the 980 Ti have no real-world difference with the Titan X and the 980 Ti cards with aftermarket coolers blow (hehe) the Titan X away. Just check the 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 review by Guru3D.

1440p is the sweet spot in my opinion for GTX 980 Ti/Titan X and probably the Fury-cards. And that someone that suggested going for a Titan X instead of 980 Ti SLI shoud probably see a doctor, because reference cards of the 980 Ti have no real-world difference with the Titan X and the 980 Ti cards with aftermarket coolers blow (hehe) the Titan X away. Just check the 980 Ti Gigabyte G1 review by Guru3D.

Can you help me understand something. SLI only refers to when there are multiple graphic cards (GPUs)? So the 980 Ti by itself isn't SLI and should not cause problems and pitfalls that people talk about when referring to SLI. But if I had two then it would be considered SLI?

So for the best single graphic card I should go with the 980 Ti?

GRaider81

Can get a 4690k and EVGA GTX 970 over locked for £435, both recently reduced. Tempted to bite just not sure I should wait to see these AMD cards. Help GAF!

Cpu is £167 including delivery

Can you help me understand something. SLI only refers to when there are multiple graphic cards (GPUs)? So the 980 Ti by itself isn't SLI and should not cause problems and pitfalls that people talk about when referring to SLI. But if I had two then it would be considered SLI?

Actually that is still the Titan X, only due to the 12GB of VRAM... future proofing. However the 980 Ti is the most cost effective for now, at least until next week. Hold off getting a new card if you can. AS for SLI, this is when you have 2 or more of the same type of card installed, running in parallel. SLI, while does have its share of issues; more heat, some games / applications don't support it or have issues with it, SLI is still the best way to get extra power for cheap.

For example: an SLI GTX 980 will crush a Titan X, so there's the performance benefit for cheap. However the Titan X has more VRAM, so there are trade offs.

SLI = Two or more cards

Actually that is still the Titan X, only due to the 12GB of VRAM... future proofing. However the 980 Ti is the most cost effective for now, at least until next week. Hold off getting a new card if you can.

I won't be building until late November so I'm definitely on edge to see what will be announced next week. And I should keep in mind about future proofing.

Rolfgang

If you have two GPU's in your PC and connect them through a bridge-solution than it's considered SLI (for Nvidia-cards) or Crossfire (for AMD-cards). SLI has indeed some problems, like compatibility with games (it needs specific drivers for that) and more wattage and cooling needed. You could always just turn off SLI if you encounter problems with it, but then you wasted a lot of money on a piece of hardware that isn't doing anything.

For a single card, at the moment an aftermarket GTX 980 Ti is the fastest (despite Titan X's 12GB of VRAM), altough AMD presents their cards on E3 on June 16, so you might want to wait for that.

Has there been any leaks/rumours about how the new AMD cards will match up?

amd-radeon-fury-x-3dmark-firestrike-897x1065.jpg

berzeli

Banned
The issue of what RAM to get is more complex,
but I'm presenting this oversimplified way of looking at it to make it easier to choose RAM.

I was very much asking for the dumbed down version of things and got exactly what I wanted, so thank you.

Being able to get a MSI R9 290 at newegg right now for $240 after rebate is making the wait to see how different the 390 performs difficult. :)

luffeN

Are you using https://pcpartpicker.com/ for the build? It would be easier for us so we can see the current prices on the build and for us to make recommendations. Example, the processor, how much are you paying for? How much of the budget is gone / left?

You also may want to swap that Xeon out of possible, it's going to jack up the price.

Okay, will do. The Xeon isn't that expensive compared to others in the benchmark area. We don't want the server version.

Nothing of the budget is gone yet, that's why I wrote "This is what we have in mind" to give you guys some pointers, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Okay, will do. The Xeon isn't that expensive compared to others in the benchmark area. We don't want the server version.

Nothing of the budget is gone yet, that's why I wrote "This is what we have in mind" to give you guys some pointers, maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Anything in the Xenon line is going to be a server processor. A 4670k or 4770k would suit you as a consumer part, and you can most almost guaranteed find the 4670k for a bit less than the $250 you'd pay for that CPU.

Quick

Banned
Does your budget include taxes or Windows?

Whether you absolutely want to overclock or not is up to you, but we usually recommend processors and motherboards with overclocking ability for a longer useful lifespan. That means we recommend the current generation i5 4690K or i7 4790K where possible. The old i5 2500K processor is a good example of that. Despite being a four year old processor, it's still quite capable today because of its ability to overclock and nearly match current generation processors in performance, whereas anyone with a non-overclocking processor from the same generation will probably feel the need to replace their CPU already.

Well, I think a build like this would serve you best:

Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.98 @ NCIX)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $843.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 04:11 EDT-0400

All of those parts are available from NCIX, but some of them are cheaper elsewhere like the processor. You should add all of these items to the cart, and then click the pricematch button in the shopping cart page. You will be able to tell NCIX what the competitors' prices and webpages are for the items you want to pricematch. I think this should total at just around $1000 CAD when taking in Ontario's 13% tax rate, the pricematching discount, and the $50 assembly fee into account.

Normally we recommend an aftermarket CPU cooler to go along with an overclockable processor like the 4690K, but if you won't be overclocking soon then you can save the money and just get it sometime in the future. The CPU comes with a basic cooler that is just adequate for normal use and it helps keep the build within your budget, anyway. The Corsair case should be good enough to accommodate most decent aftermarket CPU coolers, anyway.

I've thought about AMD as an alternative choice for the graphics card, but there's nothing available at a good cost to fit inside your budget at the moment. The R9 280 is too expensive while the next step down, the R9 270X is not as good as the GTX 960. You said you wouldn't mind changing the graphics card in the future to suit a better monitor, so the GTX 960 isn't a bad 1080p gaming card for now. Batman Arkham Knight isn't out yet so there aren't any detailed performance benchmarks, but according to this Techspot performance benchmark article on the Witcher 3 the GTX 960 can push just above 30FPS on high settings and a bit below 60FPS on medium settings (both at 1080p).

Thanks for this. My budget is basically a ballpark average. I don't mind paying a little extra and it's definitely before taxes.

As for Windows, I was thinking of just buying a Windows key for cheap somewhere. I hear Reddit isn't allowing the sale of Microsoft keys anymore, though.

Crisium

Quick said this:

RGM79, your own Witcher 3 link shows a Radeon 290 at 20% faster than the 960, and even that isn't typical, since I'm sure you're aware that on average it's 40-50% faster.

This instead of the 960 2GB:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-pcs-b3-108828-1349.htm
Powercolor Radeon R9 290 PCS+
$299.99 AR

This better PSU for $10 more:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermalt...-1349.htm?affiliateid=7474144#CustomerReviews
Thermaltake Smart 550W ATX 12V V2.3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
$49.99 AR

After rebate (which you also used for calculations), it's an increase of $80. I think you'll agree it will be noticeably faster in every game. About a 10% increase in total build cost, for a gaming increase far over that.

Trotski7

Banned
My laptop is finally fucked after trying to fix it for the last couple months (at the end, I had to fix a new piece every day). I have no savings, and have minimal to no knowledge on PC parts.

What I want is a good PC that could last me atleast 1-2yrs without needing to upgrade. What would I need to save up to be able to buy the "best" parts? I can save between 300-400 dollars every month, but really no more than that; so it'd probably take me about 3-4months to save up 1000 dollars.

yatesl

So, for reasons, I need to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 before I can upgrade to Windows 10 in July.

The question is, do I do it now, or the day before? All I hear are horror stories about using Windows Upgrade instead of doing a system format, so going in with a blank C:\ would probably be best, but I really can't be bothered doing it again and want to get it over with.

How smooth do we think going from 8.1 -> 10 will be with programs installed?

Holy Hell,

I actually got the latest Macbook Pro 15 with AMD 370x for $1500 and it was sealed!

I opened it and it was the real deal. No damages, it charges, and everything works well!

RGM79

Hello guys!

What we still need:

Mainboard
HDD
CPU Cooler?
CD/DVD drive

How does this look?

1 x Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA 6Gb/s (CT250BX100SSD1)
1 x Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3, 4x 3.40GHz, Sockel 1150, boxed (BX80646E31231V3)
1 x Mushkin Enhanced Stealth Stiletto DIMM 8GB, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 (992069S)
1 x Gainward GeForce GTX 970 Phantom, 4GB GDDR5, DVI, Mini HDMI, 3x Mini DisplayPort (3361)
1 x ASRock H81M-HDS (90-MXGQH0-A0UAYZ)
1 x Samsung SH-224DB schwarz, SATA, bulk (SH-224DB/BEBE)
1 x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
1 x Cooler Master N200 mit Sichtfenster (NSE-200-KWN1)
1 x EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650 650W ATX 2.3 (220-GS-0650-V2/220-GS-0650-V3)
Summe aller Bestpreise: 925,33 Euro

Actually, the Xeon E3-1231 is a cost effective alternative to the much more expensive consumer i7 line. It's based off the same architecture and is meant for socket 1150 motherboards and usually comes without integrated graphics while retaining the 4 cores and 8 threads that the desktop i7 processors have. For example, the i7 4790 range of processors cost 300 Euros minimum whereas the Xeon E3-1231V3 comes in at just under 250 Euros.

Anything in the Xenon line is going to be a server processor. A 4670k or 4770k would suit you as a consumer part, and you can most almost guaranteed find the 4670k for a bit less than the $250 you'd pay for that CPU.

The i5 4670K and 4690K cost within 15 Euros or so of the Xeon E3-1231V3. Unless you mean he should buy used.

RGM79

Quick said this:

RGM79, your own Witcher 3 link shows a Radeon 290 at 20% faster than the 960, and even that isn't typical, since I'm sure you're aware that on average it's 40-50% faster.

This instead of the 960 2GB:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-pcs-b3-108828-1349.htm
Powercolor Radeon R9 290 PCS+
$299.99 AR

This better PSU for $10 more:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/thermalt...-1349.htm?affiliateid=7474144#CustomerReviews
Thermaltake Smart 550W ATX 12V V2.3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply
$49.99 AR

After rebate (which you also used for calculations), it's an increase of $80. I think you'll agree it will be noticeably faster in every game. About a 10% increase in total build cost, for a gaming increase far over that.

Thanks for the knowledge, I had considered the R9 290 but decided not to because I had assumed that it wouldn't fit in the budget. Unlike in the US, Canadian online orders always need to include taxes. And a while back one poster was a bit frustrated with our recommended builds going over his stated budget after all calculations, so I decided to play it safe and assume taxes were included in the $1000 budget. I will include your recommendations, but I think the Cooler Master G650M for $20 more is better for the higher wattage (future upgrades, overclocking, etc).

Thanks for this. My budget is basically a ballpark average. I don't mind paying a little extra and it's definitely before taxes.

As for Windows, I was thinking of just buying a Windows key for cheap somewhere. I hear Reddit isn't allowing the sale of Microsoft keys anymore, though.

Alright, in that case we can make for a nicer build with a GTX 970 or R9 290 and the 212 Evo CPU cooler added back into the list, then.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($37.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Other: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($299.99)
Total: $977.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-12 15:44 EDT-0400

There's also a deal on SSDs if you are interested. The online retailer shop.ca currently has a coupon promotion. There are two coupon codes as you can see here in this link: one for $40 off $100 purchase, and another one for $50 off $125 purchase. That means you can pick up a Samsung 850 Evo 120GB for $60 or the 850 Evo 250GB for $100. Shop.ca also has the Crucial BX100 models for the same prices at the same capacities, but the Samsung 850 Evo is more desirable for somewhat higher performance.

As for Windows, you can still get cheap keys from Reddit. Here's my usual disclaimer:

Windows 7/8.1 licenses can be bought from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $20 USD or less. These are most likely legitimate keys that are resold from educational programs like Technet or Dreamspark. However, you are dealing with a person instead of a retailer, and informal Windows keys sales are not approved by Microsoft and probably breaking some licensing agreement, but it's not illegal. The risks involved are that the person could be selling you a fake or used key, or that Microsoft may refuse to give you support and/or deactivate your license and refuse to reactivate it. That's not very likely, usually it only happens if the seller and their list of sold keys was caught. We've had people here using those keys without issues for a long time and others who say Microsoft deactivated their key after several months.

Edit: NCIX's weekend sale is up and the Thermaltake Smart 750 watt power supply is now $70 after rebate, same price as the Cooler Master model I recommended earlier. That would be a better deal for the same price, it seems. Both Techpowerup and Tweaktown liked it in their reviews, although some websites note that the PSU can get loud at high loads.

Second edit: The Cooler Master PSU is now $60 after rebate. PCPartPicker hasn't updated to reflect that yet.

RGM79

My laptop is finally fucked after trying to fix it for the last couple months (at the end, I had to fix a new piece every day). I have no savings, and have minimal to no knowledge on PC parts.

What I want is a good PC that could last me atleast 1-2yrs without needing to upgrade. What would I need to save up to be able to buy the "best" parts? I can save between 300-400 dollars every month, but really no more than that; so it'd probably take me about 3-4months to save up 1000 dollars.

Assuming you're in the US, around $700 gets you a solid build for a good base that you can upgrade. $1000 would be ideal and gets you a very nice PC that can last 3~4 years minimum for playing games at higher settings.

So, for reasons, I need to do a fresh install of Windows 8.1 before I can upgrade to Windows 10 in July.

The question is, do I do it now, or the day before? All I hear are horror stories about using Windows Upgrade instead of doing a system format, so going in with a blank C:\ would probably be best, but I really can't be bothered doing it again and want to get it over with.

How smooth do we think going from 8.1 -> 10 will be with programs installed?

According to the official head of the Microsoft Windows Insider Program, users will be able to perform a clean install of Windows 10 after doing the upgrade once. Perhaps you should wait until the day it comes out, install Windows 8.1, get the Windows 10 upgrade immediately, then just wipe it all and reinstall Windows 10 with a clean install. It should be noted that Microsoft has a history of their policy only allowing upgrades with Windows upgrade media, but there have been user-discovered workarounds for doing clean installs of upgrade versions of Windows 8/8.1, 7, Vista, XP, and even going further back.

Thinking of getting this Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M which is $44 after rebates and still decent at $65 if they fuck me over on the rebate. It is made by Seasonic so it should be very reliable. Can anyone vouch for it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059

I've personally never handled it, but I've recommended it a fair bit over the last 9 months of parts recommendation threads, and no one's complained so far, if that means anything. Professional and user reviews are great, the only common points of failure in the negative Newegg user reviews are that some people complained of clicking fans or units being dead on arrival, but that's a problem that affects a lot of brands and manufacturers.

I'd say it's a safe buy, and it's really hard to beat that price for the wattage and semi-modular cabling.

Gritesh

So I want to upgrade my 7950 to a video card that can play games at a sustained framerwlate at 1080p

I was going to wait for the new 300 series cards but I'm Canadian and I don't want to spend more than 500 bucks on a card.

It looks like the 390x is a rebrand? Is that card going to be a good option still?

RGM79

So I want to upgrade my 7950 to a video card that can play games at a sustained framerwlate at 1080p

I was going to wait for the new 300 series cards but I'm Canadian and I don't want to spend more than 500 bucks on a card.

It looks like the 390x is a rebrand? Is that card going to be a good option still?
What resolution, and at what sustained framerate? 60FPS? For $500, your best bet would be a GTX 970 or the R9 390/390X.

There's no concrete figures and benchmarks yet on the 390X so I'd wait for that. If rumors are true, then it's just a slightly updated R9 290X with higher clocks and 8GB of VRAM. The extra VRAM doesn't really help, but I wonder if the higher clock speeds might put it on par with the GTX 970 at 1080p. There's less of a performance gap between the R9 290X and GTX 970/980 at higher resolutions (>1440p) but 1080p is the most common. Depending on what price the R9 390/390X launches at, you might be better off picking up a discounted R9 290.

Wait till Tuesday to find out what's what.

ricki42

http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/nQdnTW/600-usd-sweet-spot-perfect-for-first-timers

Is this a good build? All I'm looking for is something that can run Alien Isolation on Ultra, can run Street Fighter 5 on high settings at 60 FPS (Yeah, I know the specs aren't out yet but I doubt it'll be higher than the PS4) and something that's a little future proof.

What's your budget? What resolution are you gaming on? Any parts you already have?

I wouldn't go with that processor. If you're on a tight budget, you could go with a Intel Pentium G3258 and overclock it. Put it on a Z97 motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H, and you can easily upgrade to a better CPU later on. If your budget is really tight, you can get a cheaper motherboard as well, like the Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 (I selected the mobos solely based on what's cheapest, I don't have any special preference for Gigabyte); you can still upgrade to a newer CPU later, but it might need a BIOS update to support new Devil's Canyon CPUs (and won't overclock those).
Also, unless you know that you'll definitely need a DVD drive, you can probably skip that.

So i'm planning to get a new monitor and headset, i checked the first page and none of the budget monitors seems to be sold in my country. I don't want to go over 240 dollars on the screen, and preferably stay below 100 on the headset.

Currently i'm looking at this monitor, but i can't find alot of reviews of it, anyone who used/uses it? http://www.samsung.com/levant/consumer/it/monitor/led-monitor/LS24D300HS/ZN

regarding a headset i was planning to buy a Logitech Ultimate UE 6000 but i noticed it doesn't have a headset. So that one's out of the question. I might just pick up one of those siberia headsets literally everyone uses, seems like they should do the work. Sound quality wise my headset is fine except that it's started to get buzzing noise and crackling, hence why i'm switching it after like 3-4 years. It's a turtle beach 21x or whatever so i guess that shows my standards.

But yeah, that monitor seems good from the little i've read, i just want some extra voices, if it's possible.

NeonDelta

ok Gaf, need some advice

built this PC back in 2010, ran out of budget and never got round to buying a graphics card later on as planned.

The pc is basically just sitting around and used only for storing my music and things i cant do on my ipad,

i want to get more use out of it so will need a graphics card and most likely a new power supply.

the monitor im using only supports up to 1680 x 1050 resolution i think, and the TV in my bedroom is only 720p, i dont need a titan.

these are the specs

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Black Edition
RAM Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Dual-Channel
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4250
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H
PSU Corsair CX400
Windows 7 Home Premium

what gpu and psu do you recommend?

i dont want to spend silly amount as im more than happy with having a PS4 as my primary gaming machine, just want something that can play current games that will look as good as if not better than on PS4 so i can pick up games in the sales etc.. and the odd PC exclusive game.

i currently have an Antec 300 ATX case but might in the next year or so think about downsizing to a smaller case (along with new processor/motherboard) so the gpu will need to fit in a smaller case.

in summary

i need a gpu and psu, budget of around £200 (combined) can go over but would rather not

im in England

ok Gaf, need some advice

built this PC back in 2010, ran out of budget and never got round to buying a graphics card later on as planned.

The pc is basically just sitting around and used only for storing my music and things i cant do on my ipad,

i want to get more use out of it so will need a graphics card and most likely a new power supply.

the monitor im using only supports up to 1680 x 1050 resolution i think, and the TV in my bedroom is only 720p, i dont need a titan.

these are the specs

PSU Corsair CX400
Windows 7 Home Premium

i dont want to spend silly amount as im more than happy with having a PS4 as my primary gaming machine, just want something that can play current games that will look as good as if not better than on PS4 so i can pick up games in the sales etc.. and the odd PC exclusive game.

i currently have an Antec 300 ATX case but might in the next year or so think about downsizing to a smaller case (along with new processor/motherboard) so the gpu will need to fit in a smaller case.

in summary

i need a gpu and psu, budget of around £200 (combined) can go over but would rather not

im in England
750 Ti and I'm pretty sure you can keep your current PSU.

RGM79

ok Gaf, need some advice

these are the specs

PSU Corsair CX400
Windows 7 Home Premium

in summary

im in England

I don't know how small of a case in the future you're getting, but you could get a GTX 960 for now. This compact Gigabyte GTX 960 is £148 and is designed to fit into very small mITX cases. The GTX 960's general power consumption is low enough that you could run that GTX 960 on your current 400 watt power supply as long as you aren't doing any overclocking, according to these test results by Guru3D and Tom's Hardware.

Unfortunately, some small form factor cases may have restrictions on the size of the power supply, so it's hard to recommend a PSU without knowing what case you'll be getting. That said, there are a few compact models that should fit well into most cases. Around here we do recommend the Cooler Master G650M (£53) somewhat often, it has modular cabling and a 140mm depth that works well for cases like the Fractal Node 304 and others. There are other cheaper options if you don't need as much wattage or modular cables, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom