• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noirulus

According to these Eurogamer and Techspot articles on Witcher 3 PC performance, I expect the i5 4690K and GTX 970 to be able to push 60FPS easily on medium to high settings, maybe less in the more populated and busy city areas. It'll depend on what graphics settings you want to play at, but if you were to go with ultra settings I think it could manage 30FPS and still be playable.

thanks dude, u da bes.

RGM79

Here's what I have.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (Planned GPU)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Probably $150 max. I'm in Canada.

The cheapest power supply I'd recommend would be the Cooler Master G650M ($60 after $20 rebate). It has enough wattage for your needs including overclocking and comes with semi-modular cabling, which is nice. If you want something a bit better in terms of build quality, there's the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model ($85 after $30 rebate) although according to the price tracker it was on sale for $70 after rebate just about two weeks ago, you may want to wait for it to drop in price again.

There are also some more expensive models at $90 and above, they come with low noise fan modes or higher efficiency rating or fully modular cables like this EVGA Supernova GS 650 watt model ($100 after $25 rebate) or this Seasonic Evo Edition 750 watt model ($103 no rebate).

Lexxism

There are also some more expensive models at $90 and above, they come with low noise fan modes or higher efficiency rating or fully modular cables like this EVGA Supernova GS 650 watt model ($100 after $25 rebate) or this Seasonic Evo Edition 750 watt model ($103 no rebate).
A big thanks! I think I'll go with Seasonic. Also, I'm thinking of adding another 2 x 4GB. The same memory card I have for 69.99. Is it worth it making my memory to 16GB or should I just stay to 8GB for now?

cyen

Just found this gem, GTX780ti 4G 5th generation of GOD lol

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...I-VGA-graphic-card-game-card/32279076469.html

The description is very funny indeed:

"The card advantage lies in the real support DX11 (the current large-scale game new needs the support of DX11), because the XP system has been too old, has been unable to support DX11, so the graphics on the XP system performance will be greatly reduced! We recommend the use of WIN7 system!
Graphics driver please manually download the official genuine drive (13.4052 version) To install!! If you use the [Driven life} Or {Driver Genius] Must choose to install (13.4052 version) To install .Because NVIDIA official now updatedThe latest driver for GTX970 and GTX980 graphics this 2, using the latest version of the driver can cause a blue screen and a black screen, remember not to update to (13.4052 any version) outsideHE version ~ Unfortunately, if the pro version is installed to the other driver, you must do a system and then re- install (13.4052 version)!!!!!!!
Good products do not blow, Master Lu test it all!"

This is not the only one there, there is also 780 and others, basically they just edited bios from old gpus like 240gts.

But that´s not all, theres even a Radeon Nvidia folks:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GTX7...me-Video-Graphic-Card-surpass/1763114730.html

RGM79

A big thanks! I think I'll go with Seasonic. Also, I'm thinking of adding another 2 x 4GB. The same memory card I have for 69.99. Is it worth it making my memory to 16GB or should I just stay to 8GB for now?
Just so you know, the EVGA Supernova GS is also manufactured by Seasonic if you were wondering about quality. The Supernova B2 750 watt model is made by Super Flower, another OEM that is on the same level of quality as Seasonic, so if you want the higher wattage but don't need the super silent fan mode, the EVGA Supernova B2 7 models are a good bet for price to performance and quality.

As for memory, $70 is a little overpriced. Technically any kit of 2x4GB 1600MHz RAM will be compatible, you can mix brands as long as the speed/latency are same/similar. I'm seeing kits of 2x4GB 1600MHz go for as low as $59, so that's an option. You can still get matching RAM if you want to keep the looks uniform, it's up to you.

vinnay

hey GAF lurker here!

Just finished my new build
-core i5 4460
-8gb DDR3 1600
-Asus H97 matx
-GTX 970 reference (so sexy)
-WD 1tb blue
-corsair air 240 case

-corsair cx600m (be wary!)
I thought going by the Amazon reviews it should be a great unit. Should have done more research before throwing away the box.

My unit has real bad coil whine while testing out Dying Light @1080p maxed(opened the case, not coming from the 970)

Awaiting a 750W g2 supernova to put in the rig(and fully modular vs cx600m)

so it turned out that the 970 did have coil whine so I switched it out with a EVGA ACX 970 and that had coil whine too. -_-

Now I have a XFX R9 290(little slower than a 970) but happy to report no coil whine.

Lexxism

Just so you know, the EVGA Supernova GS is also manufactured by Seasonic if you were wondering about quality. The Supernova B2 750 watt model is made by Super Flower, another OEM that is on the same level of quality as Seasonic, so if you want the higher wattage but don't need the super silent fan mode, the EVGA Supernova B2 7 models are a good bet for price to performance and quality.
Which one? EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80PLUS B2 or EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 850W 80. How noisy are these? Much quieter to one I have now?

RGM79

Which one? EVGA SuperNOVA 750 80PLUS B2 or EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 850W 80. How noisy are these? Much quieter to one I have now?

Either one will be fine, 750 watts is already more than you'll need for a single GTX 980 Ti.

I don't know how different the levels in noise would be. There aren't a lot of reviews for the Antec Basiq Plus 550 watt PSU and the ones that exist don't measure sound level. If you think that your PC is currently a bit loud due to the power supply (put your ear near the PSU and you can tell if it's generating a lot of noise) and you want it to be quieter, then go for the EVGA Supernova GS or the Seasonic Evo for their low noise fans. If you don't currently have a problem with noise, then just go with the cheaper and more cost-effective EVGA Supernova B2. The B2 doesn't have the low fan noise eco mode, but it's not exactly loud either.

kaskade

I have 2x4gb sticks in my PC now and I want to add some more. Should I just get two more 4gb sticks or get an 8 gb for now and maybe add another 8gb in the future.

Lexxism

Either one will be fine, 750 watts is already more than you'll need for a single GTX 980 Ti.

I don't know how different the levels in noise would be. There aren't a lot of reviews for the Antec Basiq Plus 550 watt PSU and the ones that exist don't measure sound level. If you think that your PC is currently a bit loud due to the power supply (put your ear near the PSU and you can tell if it's generating a lot of noise) and you want it to be quieter, then go for the EVGA Supernova GS or the Seasonic Evo for their low noise fans. If you don't currently have a problem with noise, then just go with the cheaper and more cost-effective EVGA Supernova B2. The B2 doesn't have the low fan noise eco mode, but it's not exactly loud either.
After reading stuffs, looks like I'll go with EVGA SuperNova GS but I'll probably wait for a sale since it was 84.99 5 days ago. Thanks for the help again.

I'm looking for a cheap basic keyboard and I see that the Dells from a few years back are highly regarded in that category. Anyone know the differences between the Sk-8115 and L100? Are they the same product even? They seem to be getting hard to find new so any info would be appreciated.

Just got the soundblaster zx sound card. whats a good gaming headset that has analog inputs? I tried the razer kraken pro but it sounded muddy

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Power supply issue maybe? Happened to me a week back.

Tried a spare power supply and it's still not working :(

Just finished my new build. I'm exausted. I was dealing with little light and an iphone to help me see. I bent the pins on my usb header like my Asus Motherboard 3 years ago. Unlike that time I was able to move the pins back into place without snapping them. I hope it works alright when I try it out tomorrow. So far the system botted, the front power button doesn't work but that may be because of which pins I put the connector on. Was able to verify it posted, and actually booted into my Windows 7 partition from the old system.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, my buddy just got his FireStrike results.

Damn.

18816486842_50f7b84b20_h.jpg

And there it is in all its glory:

X99 Ultra
5960X
3x Titan X
32GB DDR4
1500W PSU
500GB 850 Evo (And yep, he's gonna upgrade to an Intel 750)

18821536185_baa535b9d3_h.jpg

Just got the soundblaster zx sound card. whats a good gaming headset that has analog inputs? I tried the razer kraken pro but it sounded muddy
Best gaming headsets around right now are the Sennheiser PC360 and the Kingston Hyper X Cloud. I would just recommend to get a nice pair of headphones and pair it with a ModMic. But if you're looking at gaming headsets on a budget then you can't go wrong with a Hyper X Cloud. I don't know how they sound myself but a lot of people seem to like them.

Rolfgang

Welp, my buddy just got his FireStrike results.

Damn.

18816486842_50f7b84b20_h.jpg

And there it is in all its glory:

X99 Ultra
5960X
3x Titan X
32GB DDR4
1500W PSU
500GB 850 Evo (And yep, he's gonna upgrade to an Intel 750)

18821536185_baa535b9d3_h.jpg

Damn, son! That's one hell of a beast, but that must have costs buttloads of money, the GPU's and CPU alone are already $4000+

Rolfgang

According to these Eurogamer and Techspot articles on Witcher 3 PC performance, I expect the i5 4690K and GTX 970 to be able to push 60FPS easily on medium to high settings, maybe less in the more populated and busy city areas. It'll depend on what graphics settings you want to play at, but if you were to go with ultra settings I think it could manage 30FPS and still be playable.

I have the exact same set-up and it can run The Witcher 3 on High (and some settings Ultra) at 1080p 60FPS, without Hairworks.

Mystic654

Whats the best 980 Ti? all those different cards are giving me a headache I can't chose one.

I haven't bought mine yet, Right not it's between EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Backplate and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC. Right now after seeing a review gigabyte might be the one I get.

Rolfgang

It's a bit hard to say which 980 Ti is the best, since not many aftermarket cards have arrived yet. As far as I know, there is the Gaming 1G of Gigabyte and one of Inno3D and then there's the Superclocked from EVGA, but I thought that was just an adjusted reference card.

Personally I wanted the MSI Gaming 6G, but now it will probably launch in july and I'm an impatient man, so I'll probably go for the Gigabyte Gaming 1G, which is probably on the same level.

Kiyo

Decided to post this here as well since the 980ti thread probably isn't the right place. Hoping someone has some ideas on what I can do, or if I just got a bad card:

So I picked up one of these cards today and I'm getting some pretty poor results in some benchmarks I'm running.

So the first thing I did was take out my 780ti and install the 980ti. Then I ran 3dmark and it showed a score of 5.3k on Firestrike which is just awful for this card from what I understand. So ran the driver cleaner/uninstaller tool in safe mode and then reinstalled drivers and my score went up to 9.6k which is still pretty bad. I'm not sure where else to go from here. Did I just get a broken card? Is there any other tests I can run to see what may be wrong?

edit: Just ran a 3rd test with "KBoost" enabled in EVGA PrecisionX and hit 10.6k on Firestrike, still pretty poor from what other results are showing. I noticed the video card isn't going above 76% power though, not sure if that's normal?

edit2: 4th test with power management settings turned to "prefer maximum performance" and got 11.9k - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7338908 . While typing this my video driver stopped working and windows had to restart it. Not sure if that's related.

Rolfgang

Decided to post this here as well since the 980ti thread probably isn't the right place. Hoping someone has some ideas on what I can do, or if I just got a bad card:

So I picked up one of these cards today and I'm getting some pretty poor results in some benchmarks I'm running.

So the first thing I did was take out my 780ti and install the 980ti. Then I ran 3dmark and it showed a score of 5.3k on Firestrike which is just awful for this card from what I understand. So ran the driver cleaner/uninstaller tool in safe mode and then reinstalled drivers and my score went up to 9.6k which is still pretty bad. I'm not sure where else to go from here. Did I just get a broken card? Is there any other tests I can run to see what may be wrong?

edit: Just ran a 3rd test with "KBoost" enabled in EVGA PrecisionX and hit 10.6k on Firestrike, still pretty poor from what other results are showing. I noticed the video card isn't going above 76% power though, not sure if that's normal?

edit2: 4th test with power management settings turned to "prefer maximum performance" and got 11.9k - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7338908 . While typing this my video driver stopped working and windows had to restart it. Not sure if that's related.

I think it's better to swap it with another one, because by the sound of it you got a faulty card. Other 980 Ti's hit 15K in Firestrike.

Merovin

Hi all, got a bit of a stupid question so please excuse my ramblings as I find my way! I'm planning on building a computer soon (it'll be my first time building one myself, I've only done the basics before, i.e. ram lol).

When it comes to processors, I've been looking at a few alongside some cooling options (Corsair H100i most likely) and I was wondering how thermal paste comes into play? This is probably the aspect of building a computer that worries me the most from things that I have read online and wanted some opinions of people I know will have reliable and good information!

I don't have a build or processor or anything ready yet so if you can't help until I've got that prepared no worries, just wanted to start trying to get a heads up as soon as possible. Thanks guys and girls!

NeonDelta

Hi all, got a bit of a stupid question so please excuse my ramblings as I find my way! I'm planning on building a computer soon (it'll be my first time building one myself, I've only done the basics before, i.e. ram lol).

When it comes to processors, I've been looking at a few alongside some cooling options (Corsair H100i most likely) and I was wondering how thermal paste comes into play? This is probably the aspect of building a computer that worries me the most from things that I have read online and wanted some opinions of people I know will have reliable and good information!

I don't have a build or processor or anything ready yet so if you can't help until I've got that prepared no worries, just wanted to start trying to get a heads up as soon as possible. Thanks guys and girls!

the stock thermal paste will already be on the cooler, its just a case of installing it, its alot simpler than you might expect. if you want to put a specific paste on then it gets a bit trickier, plenty of youtube videos if you arent sure

S1n1st3r

Banned
long time lurker, need help in getting a new rig
currently using a laptop (my old desktop mobo got fried a year ago), mostly good for just dota 2, insurgency and indie games.

Ive been really thinking of either getting a new msi laptop for gaming, (due to frequent blackouts in my country. But decided getting a desktop would be better as I don't want to get a expensive gaming laptop every 1.5-2 years or so.

•Budget: $1300 + Pakistan (please note this actually applies to me as a $1400-1500
due to duties/tax n shit
•Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: 5 - Gaming mainly, general web usage and moview/shows
•Monitor Resolution: ill be getting a new monitor as my old one is fucking old (will get a used one for now , maybe upgrade later). I don't mind playing at lower resolution but running games on high/ultra is more important to me

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: GTA V (online),Evolve, Farcry 4,upcoming titles, >>be able to run UE4 games really well. as im sure this will be the engine most games will be using like UE3 previously.

•When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? : I hope to build it in the next month (getting a bonus from work), should I wait abit more? I want this rig to last me 2 years atleast before needing to upgrade the gpu. Want to be able to run current and upcoming titles on high/ultra

•Will you be overclocking?: no

Rolfgang

Lol.

I have a 650w psu; I should upgrade that as well, right?

750? 800?

A 600w is recommended for a single 980 Ti, so yeah I would upgrade to be sure. I myself got a V-series 850w, but that a little bit of an overkill (especially since I have a single 970, but going to upgrade to a 980 Ti). I think 750w would be sufficient.

kiyomi

Couple of quick questions. I've been out of the loop for about a year now.

- When are we expecting the next set of Nvidia cards?

- Do you think they will have lower TDPs than the 9xx series?

Lastly, saying "we don't know" is totally fine, I understand. Just wondering if there was any scuttlebutt/rumours about them yet.

Lastly, saying "we don't know" is totally fine, I understand. Just wondering if there was any scuttlebutt/rumours about them yet.

No info, but my guesses:

- maybe some small updates this fall (at most?)
- same TDP

The next thing on the horizon is Pascal, and that's not till next year.

Rolfgang

Some are guessing that Pascal-based cards will come in Q1 2016, but I don't think we'll see them before Q2/Q3 2016.

No idea about TDP.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any time I mention that I'm about to purchase anything from Newegg, can you guys refer me to this post?

Their customer service is absolute crap now.

Also I'm a little disappointed in Corsair right now. I ordered a Flash Drive last week and it died as of last night. We'll see how a RMA process goes with them.

This probably won't get answered in the middle of the E3 craze but my PC seems to have an annoying echo when using headphones. At first I thought it was just the headset because the same thing happened on my surface but I bought a new headset that has the same echo on my PC but not my surface and I'm confused.

oxidax

I haven't bought mine yet, Right not it's between EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Backplate and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC. Right now after seeing a review gigabyte might be the one I get.

A friend of mine just picked it up and im really really impressed by the performance. I think im gonna go for that one but of course its sold out everywhere.

RGM79

This probably won't get answered in the middle of the E3 craze but my PC seems to have an annoying echo when using headphones. At first I thought it was just the headset because the same thing happened on my surface but I bought a new headset that has the same echo on my PC but not my surface and I'm confused.

Echo? You hear your own voice over your audio playback? Have you checked your audio settings to disable "Listen to this device"?
echo-robot-sounds-howling-problem-win7B.jpg

I am torn between a R9 270x and a GTX 960!

They shouldn't be very close in price. The GTX 960 is stronger than the R9 270X, it is in between the R9 280 and 280X (depends on the game, sometimes closer to the 280X).

Echo? You hear your own voice over your audio playback? Have you checked your audio settings to disable "Listen to this device"?

nope youtube/games/music is all echoing itself haven't changed anything but I did check that setting and it is disabled but now I'm noticing the echo on my surface.

kennah

BRB, selling PC for PS4.

My most GAF post ever

JUST KIDDING. Can't wait for my water-cooling parts to arrive and prototyping my loop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any time I mention that I'm about to purchase anything from Newegg, can you guys refer me to this post?

Their customer service is absolute crap now.

Also I'm a little disappointed in Corsair right now. I ordered a Flash Drive last week and it died as of last night. We'll see how a RMA process goes with them.
There's a reason I swapped Amazon to the top in the store list for US.

RGM79

Dumb question, do these builds ever include wireless cards?

If you ask for it, we will provide.

Some motherboards have built in wireless capability, sometimes included on mITX size motherboards or the more expensive ATX size models. You also have the option of choosing a cheaper entry or midrange level ATX/mATX motherboard and adding a external USB or internal PCI-E wifi adaptor, which tends to be cheaper overall.

dwells

So a while ago I built a poverty-spec system out of some used parts I got from a coworker for $30. I forget all the details, but the CPU was a Phenom II X2 Black Edition, either a 550 or a 555.

I popped in a 4GB stick of RAM and overclocked it and wound up at something like 3.8 GHz with it unlocked to a quad core and stable after 36 hours of Prime. I never really wound up touching it after that.

Anyhoo, the same coworker just dropped off 8GB of DDR3 1333 MHz and a 1GB HD 6870 on my desk. What kind of performance can I expect out of this setup? I've got a backlog of games (mostly from like 2010 to 2013) and would like to be able to play them at 1080p30 with medium settings and post-process AA at least.

Is that a realistic expectation, or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom