• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

As a rule of thumb, VPNs make things slower. The only exception is in a situation where you're hiding your traffic from targeted throttling, but that shouldn't be an issue now (in the US at least) with net neutrality in place.

Ah alritey thanks. These personal hotspots are painfully slow :(

RGM79

So I grabbed a new PSU at lunch, and no powering up whatsoever. With the new PSU, the area underneath the power button now gets EXTREMELY hot if I press it a few times, so much so that I started to smell something strange. I can't see how the motherboard was fried simply from plugging the correct power cables into my new GPU.

Is there a chance my whole system is now fried? Boggles the mind.

Unfortunately it sounds like the motherboard is somehow dead.

Rolfgang

So I grabbed a new PSU at lunch, and no powering up whatsoever. With the new PSU, the area underneath the power button now gets EXTREMELY hot if I press it a few times, so much so that I started to smell something strange. I can't see how the motherboard was fried simply from plugging the correct power cables into my new GPU.

Is there a chance my whole system is now fried? Boggles the mind.

It might be the case, altough I don't really see how, that your previous PSU overheated and fried the rest of your PC, including your motherboard. But I don't see that happening, unless your previous PSU was a 150w thing from the 1900's.

Probably a silly question to most but does either monitors or gfx card (XB270HU / EVGA 980 Ti) come with a DisplayPort connector?

I'm guessing no and I need to find a male-male DisplayPort? I've only ever used HDMI so I'm a complete n00b at everything else.

Rolfgang

Probably a silly question to most but does either monitors or gfx card (XB270HU / EVGA 980 Ti) come with a DisplayPort connector?

I'm guessing no and I need to find a male-male DisplayPort? I've only ever used HDMI so I'm a complete n00b at everything else.

The XB270HU comes with a DisplayPort-cable.

I'm trying to build a budget small case desktop for my living room. Problem, is, I live in Greece, stuff is overpriced here and Amazon Global adds crazy taxes when I add stuff to my cart.

I'm screwed, right?

mintyice

Anyone want to put together a budget PC for video editing/photoshop for me? I don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitors, or OS. Budget is ~$400-500, ideally closer to the lower end. This is a work PC.

ricki42

Linux Samsung SSD users using updated firmware.
And using a specific feature in TRIM. I use a Samsung SSD under Linux, and I'm far more annoyed at Samsung's crappy Linux (and Mac) support in fixing that firmware issue on the 840 evo that causes the reduced speeds.

Thermal paste is not preinstalled to Hyper 212 EVO but comes in a separate little tube:

35-103-099-07.jpg
This thing always scares the shit out of me when it's time to install it. Damn thing slips around so easily. I had to install one again last week for a friend and the thing almost killed me.

kris.

Banned
Hard to say what's wrong, just adding a second monitor shouldn't cause that. When it gets sluggish, check your CPU and RAM usage in task manager, perhaps something's causing the usage to spike.

I have to restart Firefox every once in a while so it doesn't feel bogged down, but I am using a Pentium G3258 at the moment (even if it is overclocked, it's still kinda lacking)

Yeah, I've been checking every now and then. Firefox was taking up a shitload of RAM every now and then. I saw it up to 1.5gb at one point after just regular usage with maybe 10 tabs open. Decided to do a clean install last night and now it's topping out at around 800mb. I might just add a few more stick of RAM and up it to 16gb. We'll see.

RGM79

Anyone want to put together a budget PC for video editing/photoshop for me? I don't need a keyboard, mouse, monitors, or OS. Budget is ~$400-500, ideally closer to the lower end. This is a work PC.
Do you have an older desktop PC that you can reuse parts like hard drive, case, etc from? Every little bit helps, and dollars that won't be spent on stuff you already have can go towards improving the performance.

It's possible to spec a lower cost PC for video editing, just keep in mind that certain tasks like video encoding will take longer than on a faster PC, of course.

MisterNoisy

This thing always scares the shit out of me when it's time to install it. Damn thing slips around so easily. I had to install one again last week for a friend and the thing almost killed me.

It's weird seeing all this hate for the 212's mounting system, because I love its simplicity. Try installing the cooler I used on my last 'big' PC (Xigmatek Thor's Hammer) some time - Jesus fuck, putting that thing in was awful.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Picked up a dell 2007wfp from work, thinking to use as a secondary monitor. They had a few dumped in a cage to be disposed of as old obsolete kit. Do they still stand up? I remember them being pretty popular but that was maybe 8+ years ago.

RGM79

Picked up a dell 2007wfp from work, thinking to use as a secondary monitor. They had a few dumped in a cage to be disposed of as old obsolete kit. Do they still stand up? I remember them being pretty popular but that was maybe 8+ years ago.
If you're fine with the physical size and resolution (1680x1050 @ 20"), a free monitor is hard to resist. I'd be more worried about the screen quality after 8 years of daily use more than anything else, and maybe how clean it is.

It's weird seeing all this hate for the 212's mounting system, because I love its simplicity. Try installing the cooler I used on my last 'big' PC (Xigmatek Thor's Hammer) some time - Jesus fuck, putting that thing in was awful.
I don't hate it. It's just that the way it slips around once it presses against the thermal compound makes me sweat bullets. I'm trying my best to screw it in and not have thermal paste drip out to create bigger problems.

mintyice

Do you have an older desktop PC that you can reuse parts like hard drive, case, etc from? Every little bit helps, and dollars that won't be spent on stuff you already have can go towards improving the performance.

It's possible to spec a lower cost PC for video editing, just keep in mind that certain tasks like video encoding will take longer than on a faster PC, of course.

I might have a case from like 2004 if that still works

kennah

I just realized the motherboard I picked (have to pick) matches my colour scheme. All the watercooling parts are on their way. This is going to be awesome. I'll post pics of my fitting and pump tests.

RGM79

I might have a case from like 2004 if that still works

Hard to say, depends on what kinda case it is. If it's a prebuilt PC, the case may probably hard to reuse, but it may be possible. Here's an example build if you needed to buy all new parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $502.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-18 00:26 EDT-0400

You could save more money if you went with an i3 processor instead.

I recently bought the soundblasterZX. Like it a lot for gaming. Quesiton is, I have surround enabled in the SBX software and raised to a certain level, but my logitech G5500 speakers also have a surround setting and raised to a set level. Is having both set to surround making things worse? should i turn surround off on one of them?

Mystic654

I'm looking for 140mm PWM fans that have Blue LEDs and are quiet. I currently have two Corsair AF140 Blue LED Silent Edition fans. It doesn't seem they are PWM.

If the answer is No, I'll just grab two Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans and a LED strip.

Insomnium

My MSI 7850 is dying and i'm looking at the R9 380 as a stop gap solution until Pascal hit next year. What do you guys think? I will build a new rig next year when Pascal/ 2nd gen HBM stuff fronm AMD hit so 200-250$ is my budget for a new GPU.

Mets9

Since my current setup is getting old, I'm considering on doing a gradual upgrade, but I don't know where to start.
Here is my situation:

CPU AMD FX-6100 6-Core 3.3GHz AM3+ 8MB Cache 95W
RAM DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 1333MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
Case Midi Cooler Master Elite 370
VGA Club 3d Ati AMD Radeon HD 6850 Core 775MHz Memory GDDR5 4000MHz 1GB
Motherboard Asrock 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+ DDR3 SATA3 USB3 ATX
HDD Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200rpm 64MB SATA3
PSU iTek Super Silent Power 700W
I'm back, as I said, after E3 :).
This is my setup, and I would like to slowly upgrade it.
Now is the GPU time.
With a 200 euros budget, should I get a 280/280x? Is it a good choice? Or should I get a NVidia card? (Though with this budget I don't think it would ne am awesome card)
I'm in the middle of a fallout 4 hype, and I'd like to play it on PC.
Of course to do that I need to upgrade my CPU too, and I'll probably switch to Intel. But I can't upgrade gpu and CPU right now at the same time.

Rolfgang

Now is the GPU time.
With a 200 euros budget, should I get a 280/280x? Is it a good choice? Or should I get a NVidia card? (Though with this budget I don't think it would ne am awesome card)
Of course to do that I need to upgrade my CPU too, and I'll probably switch to Intel. But I can't upgrade gpu and CPU right now at the same time.

If you really want to play Fallout 4 I would save a bit more and buy a 970 or 290(x).

Mets9

If you really want to play Fallout 4 I would save a bit more and buy a 970 or 290(x).
Do you think that with a 280x I wouldn't be able to play it? I'm not a max setting enthusiast, if it plays smoothly (and I can put some mods, not graphical mods but gameplay) I'm totally fine with it.
Because before f4 goes live I need to change the CPU too, and putting more money on the GPU means a delay in the CPU upgrade.

Rolfgang

Do you think that with a 280x I wouldn't be able to play it? I'm not a max setting enthusiast, if it plays smoothly (and I can put some mods, not graphical mods but gameplay) I'm totally fine with it.
Because before f4 goes live I need to change the CPU too, and putting more money on the GPU means a delay in the CPU upgrade.

Well, it's hard to say, because we don't have any benchmarks yet. But to save a little bit more, means you get more bang for your buck. So I would recommend to wait a little longer, until we get some requirements and then make your decision.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking to build a plex media server that can

1. stream 1080p to 2 devices (transcoded if necessary)

with the following criteria

1. it's always on so lowest possible power consumption
2. it probably wont be doing anything else except this (and you know, browsing the web etc) so a small form factor would be ideal.

what I want is the cheapest easiest possible way to have a plex server, but with the requirement that absolutely NO performance penalty at all. any stuttering/skipping while streaming media is unacceptable.

I have this as the start point

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...kind-of-CPU-do-I-need-for-my-Server-computer-

The Guideline
Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark scores are a good guideline for a requirement:
1080p/10Mbps: 2000 PassMark
720p/4Mbps: 1500 PassMark

so looks like I need a 4000 pass mark.

the

Intel Core i5-4590T @ 2.00GHz

gets a 5484 mark so this would likely be more than enough and the plex team mentions nothing else about specs at all so presumably that's all thats needed.
I guess my questions are, what's the absolute lowest/cheapest/quietest device I can shoehorn that cpu into and does anyone have any experience actually trying to do this?

daxy

Stuck on what to do with the motherboard for a 4690K. I've narrowed it down to either a Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H or an Asus Maximus VII Ranger for about the same price (Giga for 110 & Asus for 120 [cashback deals]). The UD5H has better (more) I/O options and looks really good in benchmarks, but I read that it's got issues with its interface and aggressive auto-overclocking by default. The VII Ranger seems pretty decent and has a really nice UEFI from the looks of it and more usable for someone new to this like myself. Everything points in favor of the Asus motherboard as a good all-round choice, but I keep getting the nagging feeling that the UD5H is much better value for the money as it's the cheaper one too.

Anyone got suggestions or have experiences with either motherboard?

mintyice

Hard to say, depends on what kinda case it is. If it's a prebuilt PC, the case may probably hard to reuse, but it may be possible. Here's an example build if you needed to buy all new parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.45 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($131.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $502.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-18 00:26 EDT-0400

You could save more money if you went with an i3 processor instead.

Thank you! This looks good

So I'm greeted with this today...

I swapped out my GPU for a spare, same thing. I plugged HDMI cable in to the motherboard display socket, same thing. I tried a different HDMI cable, same thing.

Am I "lucky" and this could be a Windows fuck up, or more likely to be my motherboard?

Any suggestions more than welcome...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I swapped out my GPU for a spare, same thing. I plugged HDMI cable in to the motherboard display socket, same thing. I tried a different HDMI cable, same thing.

Am I "lucky" and this could be a Windows fuck up, or more likely to be my motherboard?

this may be a silly question, but you got the same problem all on the same monitor... it's not the monitor right?

NeonDelta

Have you tried a different monitor/TV?

I currently use a 1080p Dual-Monitor setup (this to be exact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236337), I believe with DVI/HDMI.

I'm replacing my GTX 580 with GTX 980 Ti, and I'm planning on replacing 1 monitor with XB270HU or appending it and having 3 monitors. Most likely the former for now since I don't have desk space.

Question: I will be using the XB270HU as my gaming monitor, and the other 1-2 1080p monitors for browsing/work/etc. By connecting them all together either dual or triple, does it diminish my performance in any way when playing games on the XB270HU @ 144Hz and 1440p?

Smokey

Video Editiors

What is a good piece of Windows software that I can use to edit and upload 1440p/4k videos to Youtube? Factoring in ease of use and functionality.

Hmm, just turned my PC back on and now everything is fine.

Could this have been a warning sign that I should react to?

anothertech

Now is the GPU time.
You may look into getting a water cooled system for your 6100 and play with the over clocking instead of replacing it.

I have mine tuned to 4.8Ghz running with a 290xsli setup, and it's more than enough. The fewer cores let it clock higher because of less heat.

Just thought I'd mention :) water cool systems are getting quite affordable now, at least compared to buying a new CPU

Video Editiors

What is a good piece of Windows software that I can use to edit and upload 1440p/4k videos to Youtube? Factoring in ease of use and functionality.

I mean nothing is going to beat Final Cut Pro really, Apple is really on top of its shit when it comes to video editing.

For windows though, I've heard great things about Sony Vegas Pro, and Cyberlink Power Director, and Adobe Premier Pro.

kennah

Video Editiors

Regular use or just a one off project? 30 Day Trial of Adobe for a one off, Creative Cloud for regular use. :p

Rolfgang

Hmm, just turned my PC back on and now everything is fine.

Could this have been a warning sign that I should react to?

"Winter is coming, brah!"

I have honestly no idea. When I had those effects, my graphics card was overclocked too high, but that's not the case with yours.

Smokey

I mean nothing is going to beat Final Cut Pro really, Apple is really on top of its shit when it comes to video editing.

For windows though, I've heard great things about Sony Vegas Pro, and Cyberlink Power Director, and Adobe Premier Pro.

Ok so...maybe dumb question since I'm just starting to get into this. I have a MacBook Pro in the house so I can get Final Cut.

So if I have footage of X game that I've captured on my PC...is it as simple as putting that on a portable HDD? What's the most efficient workflow if I bring the Mac into the picture ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom