• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

Is the bottom ever going to fall out on 780TI prices? I'd love to get a second one for $250-300.

The 780 Ti's performance is still in the top tier and they stopped manufacturing them when GM204 was released, meaning stock is going to be extremely constrained. The price will stay above $300 for a long time. If/when it drops to that level, there will be better cards for the money. You can pay that and more for a new 680 today.

EGOMON

PC gaf is this a good gaming PC
CPU - FX6300
MB - GIGABYTE GA-970-DS3P
RAM - CRUCIL BS 8GB 1600
GPU - GIGABYTE R9 280 OC
CASE - CORSAIRE CABIDE SPEC-03
PSU - CORSAIR VS 650WATT

Price: $688

I installed the new CPU (that cooler bracket is a bitch tho) and turned on the PC. Everything looks good for 10-15 seconds but then it turns off. I don't have a monitor connected and it's on its side. All the fans turned on, the red mobo lights I think signify success, so why did it shut off? It can't be the PSU running out of juice because I just installed a CPU with the same voltage as the old one.

Core i5 2500 (from a Core i3 2100)
4 GB RAM
Gigabyte Radeon 6850
Antec 620W 80+ Bronze PSU

Edit: Okay that was weird. It boots up and works when I have a monitor installed. The new CPU even shows up in the Device Manager. All right! But WTF it can't stay on without a monitor?

Edit 2: It all works! Discard this post.

My parts arrived today and I just finished putting it together after a long battle with my shaky hands and my "oh god these parts aren't going to fit" mindset. A heartfelt thanks to the people in this thread for the recommendations and advice for this PC and my previous one a couple of years back. You're a good bunch!

I think the first game I'll play on this new PC will be... Luftrausers :D

SodaBeam

Neo Member
GAF, I have a few questions. I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC, but I've never done this before, so I don't intend to stray much from the suggested builds on the PC build sheet. I'm looking for something smallish that I can use as a desktop PC, but that I can also bring to my living room and use as a kind of gaming console. Is that feasible? Is the "Good - Very Capable" build (the $565 one) from the build sheet suitable for this? Or would things inside get damaged/knocked around from getting moved occasionally?

I've also considered getting a small form factor PC, but they seem to get kind of expensive quickly (I don't want to spend much more than 500, maybe 600 euros). My concern with the cheap AMD Fusion builds from this post is that they might get obsolete quickly, and it seems like upgrading them would get expensive. Would they still be able to play games coming out 3 or 4 years from now? Graphical fidelity is not a priority, as long as the framerate is still reasonable.

To summarise:

Your Current Specs: n/a
Budget: 500-600 euros, Netherlands
Main Use: only Gaming and General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: n/a
When will you build?: I don't have a deadline
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks for your help if you have any recommendations!

kharma45

PC gaf is this a good gaming PC
CPU - FX6300
MB - GIGABYTE GA-970-DS3P
RAM - CRUCIL BS 8GB 1600
GPU - GIGABYTE R9 280 OC
CASE - CORSAIRE CABIDE SPEC-03
PSU - CORSAIR VS 650WATT

Price: $688

No. For that money better to go Intel

also, no HDD?

For example if you wanted a small PC like a mATX you could do this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.97 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill HIVE 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $686.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 11:25 EST-0500

Those temperatures sound fine, there's no real issue with them. You should be worried about whether load temperatures are too high.

That said, what's your budget for a water cooler? I'm sure it should be able to accommodate 240mm radiators with no problems.

It hits about 60ish under load, which again I know isn't that high, but I would like to bring it down a bit. I was thinking like $150 us tops for a cooler. I wanted to go with the Kracken X61 but that's a 280mm radiator I believe. I'll start checking out 240mm ones!

I probably should have read this thread last week, but I have a new GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM coming in this week to upgrade my machine from about five years ago. I'll be installing them after work.

Hoping my i5 760 is still good to go for another year or so. At any rate, I don't think I can justify another new part right now with the lady.

My old video card, a Radeon HD 485X (if that even means anything to anyone) was giving me issues not putting out a signal through the DVI ports. I'm wondering if, even with that problem, it would still be okay to throw that card into another machine I'd like to use as a media server?

kharma45

I probably should have read this thread last week, but I have a new GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM coming in this week to upgrade my machine from about five years ago. I'll be installing them after work.

Hoping my i5 760 is still good to go for another year or so. At any rate, I don't think I can justify another new part right now with the lady.

My old video card, a Radeon HD 485X (if that even means anything to anyone) was giving me issues not putting out a signal through the DVI ports. I'm wondering if, even with that problem, it would still be okay to throw that card into another machine I'd like to use as a media server?

If you haven't done so already I'd recommend looking in to overclocking your i5.

Looks solid.

Gintamen

Been slowly buying parts for a new desktop over the last couple months. And I've yet to buy a Mainboard. Got the MSI GF 970, so is there any advantage going with the the MSI Z97 board or can I just as well go with the Asrock/Gigabyte ones?

Corgi

Banned
hmmm

16gb ram

780 classy

Not getting the kind of performance i'm completely happy with at 1440p with modern games. Thinking of getting another 780, but never messed with SLI before. I know my mobo supports it, but I'm betting my 450w PS needs an upgrade too.

Anything I need to know about sli? Or would it make more sense to wait for single gpu upgrade this/next year?

will 780 get dx12?

kharma45

Been slowly buying parts for a new desktop over the last couple months. And I've yet to buy a Mainboard. Got the MSI GF 970, so is there any advantage going with the the MSI Z97 board or can I just as well go with the Asrock/Gigabyte ones?

Mixing and matching brands makes no difference.

The Llama

hmmm

16gb ram

780 classy

Not getting the kind of performance i'm completely happy with at 1440p with modern games. Thinking of getting another 780, but never messed with SLI before. I know my mobo supports it, but I'm betting my 450w PS needs an upgrade too.

Anything I need to know about sli? Or would it make more sense to wait for single gpu upgrade this/next year?

will 780 get dx12?

Yeah, you'd definitely need a new power supply. I'm actually kind of surprised a 450w can power a 780, tbh. You're probably pretty close to the limit.

I'd hesitate to SLI 780's just because they only have 3GB VRAM. You'll likely be limited by that in a lot of upcoming games anyway.

kharma45

Yeah, you'd definitely need a new power supply. I'm actually kind of surprised a 450w can power a 780, tbh. You're probably pretty close to the limit.

I'd hesitate to SLI 780's just because they only have 3GB VRAM. You'll likely be limited by that in a lot of upcoming games anyway.

I'm not. Sure Valve had a 780 and a 450w unit in their Steambox.

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit in February. Here is what I currently have:

I have an i5 2500 (OC'd to 4.5)
Sapphire 7950 3GB
8 GB RAM
MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z MB

Most games run pretty dang well on High settings but sometimes I have to lower a few settings based on what game I'm playing.

I was thinking of upgrading from the 7950 to a GTX 970. Think that's a good place to go? Hardcore gamer.

kharma45

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade my PC a bit in February. Here is what I currently have:

Sapphire 7950 3GB
8 GB RAM
MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z MB

Most games run pretty dang well on High settings but sometimes I have to lower a few settings based on what game I'm playing.

I was thinking of upgrading from the 7950 to a GTX 970. Think that's a good place to go? Hardcore gamer.

Yeah that'd be a good upgrade.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dunno but the Asus 970s are back in stock at amazon.. sort of want one but wanted to see how GTA V ran on it.. Was bouncing back and forth between 970 and 980.

I've always loved EGVA's cards/support, so I would love to pick up one of their 970 variants before Witcher 3 drops, but I'm hesitant because of all the reports of bad coil whine.

Currently helping my friend build a new PC, will the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard work with a TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter?

And how is Patriot Viper 3 RAM? Thanks.

garath

Sapphire 7950 3GB
8 GB RAM
MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z MB

That'd be a good upgrade for sure. I'm still using a i5 2500k @ 4.2 with my 970.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to borrow your brilliant minds for a moment. I'm having someone put together a gaming PC for me. They have sent me a link to a preliminary spec sheet along with the USD pricing (see photo). I live in Canada so I will be looking at an additional shipping cost from Arizona (if there is any thoughts on savings here that would be hugely appreciated too). I should also mention that part of my request to the person who offered to build it is for as much "future-proofing" for as long as possible. I'm used to a 4-5 year console cycle, so having something that I could rely on or do minor upgrades / tweaks for that period would be ideal.

Please keep in mind that I'm a serious gaming PC noob and also have an older workhorse computer that I'll be using for other needs.

Huge thanks in advance for any advice from Canucks and Americans alike. Cheers!!

Untitled_zpsf330db22.jpg

Edit:here's a second (savings option) that he sent with a different power supply and graphics card. He mentioned that the 780 is basically the exact card as a 970.

Untitled2_zps20efcb19.jpg

McBryBry

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to borrow your brilliant minds for a moment. I'm having someone put together a gaming PC for me. They have sent me a link to a preliminary spec sheet along with the USD pricing (see photo). I live in Canada so I will be looking at an additional shipping cost from Arizona (if there is any thoughts on savings here that would be hugely appreciated too). Please keep in mind that I'm a serious gaming PC noob and also have an older workhorse computer that I'll be using for other needs.

Huge thanks in advance for any advice from Canucks and Americans alike. Cheers!!

Untitled_zpsf330db22.jpg

I'd up to 16GB of RAM personally. Also, I'd size down the SSD and throw in a HDD with the money, makes for a lot more space and you still have the SSD. Will a 550W power all that and allow for overclocking?

EDIT: Duh, you can totally save money on the cooler. Go for a CM Hyper 212 Evo, unless there's something better on sale that gets it in that price range.

I'd up to 16GB of RAM personally. Also, I'd size down the SSD and throw in a HDD with the money, makes for a lot more space and you still have the SSD. Will a 550W power all that and allow for overclocking?

EDIT: Duh, you can totally save money on the cooler. Go for a CM Hyper 212 Evo, unless there's something better on sale that gets it in that price range.

Thanks for the great advice. Just curious what do you think of this option?

Untitled2_zps20efcb19.jpg

RGM79

Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here to borrow your brilliant minds for a moment. I'm having someone put together a gaming PC for me. They have sent me a link to a preliminary spec sheet along with the USD pricing (see photo). I live in Canada so I will be looking at an additional shipping cost from Arizona (if there is any thoughts on savings here that would be hugely appreciated too). Please keep in mind that I'm a serious gaming PC noob and also have an older workhorse computer that I'll be using for other needs.

Untitled_zpsf330db22.jpg

Is there a reason you're buying in the US and having it shipped to Canada? If you can tell us how much shipping will be, we could do some cost comparisons. Here's my version of your build, money was saved with no performance drop, and you get 16GB RAM as well as a power supply that will handle SLI in the future.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Nvidia Edition: Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1363.89 USD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:40 EST-0500

Here's a build priced in Canada for comparison. Roughly the same performance, just had to cut back a bit to save some money with some more cost-effective choices.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($367.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M550 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($409.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($84.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1505.53 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:54 EST-0500

Going by the current exchange rate, $1364USD is about $1618 CAD. If you don't mind assembling it yourself (or pricematching everything through NCIX and having NCIX assemble it for you for $50 including warranty), it may be worth the savings.

Currently helping my friend build a new PC, will the GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI motherboard work with a TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter?

And how is Patriot Viper 3 RAM? Thanks.

That wireless adaptor should work fine, I see no reason for it not to. Patriot Viper 3 RAM is fine as well. Patriot is an alright brand by me, and Viper 3 RAM has lifetime warranty.

Leckan

What are the differences between last year's i5 and i7 (2013) and this year's (2014)? I night be able to get the older for quite a bit cheaper. Also, would a z97 mobo work on those?

MADGAME

Looking for a bit of advice. I would like to upgrade my graphics card and could use some help deciding which cards would offer me the best bang for the buck without replacing or upgrading other components. Here is my current aging setup, although I don't know the power supply wattage. I checked inside but I think the sticker is underneath and I did not take it apart to check.

pccpuid_zps59aaa462.jpg

I mainly play RPG games on my pc and would like to be able to play newer release on ultra settings with decent framerates. Would that be possible with my current build and an updated card? I purposely left budget out, but don't want to go crazy on card with these aging components.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

RGM79

What are the differences between last year's i5 and i7 (2013) and this year's (2014)? I night be able to get the older for quite a bit cheaper. Also, would a z97 mobo work on those?

If you're talking about the i5 4670K and i7 4770K compared to the i5 4690K and i7 4790K, the difference in performance is very slight. Depending on how much cheaper you can get it for, I'd say it's probably worth it.

Yes, a Z97 motherboard will work just fine.

Looking for a bit of advice. I would like to upgrade my graphics card and could use some help deciding which cards would offer me the best bang for the buck without replacing or upgrading other components. Here is my current aging setup, although I don't know the power supply wattage. I checked inside but I think the sticker is underneath and I did not take it apart to check.

pccpuid_zps59aaa462.jpg

I mainly play RPG games on my pc and would like to be able to play newer release on ultra settings with decent framerates. Would that be possible with my current build and an updated card? I purposely left budget out, but don't want to go crazy on card with these aging components.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Yes, it's definitely possible, a new graphics card is just what you need. You don't have to worry about old components - should they die, you can bring the new graphics over to a new PC.

Look into overclocking your processor - the i5 2500K is still a very potent processor and when overclocked will easily match the latest intel i5 models. In a testing scenario with a high end Nvidia graphics card, the 2500K is more than capable of a great framerate. If you're using the stock Intel cooler, look into getting something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for under $30. With that you can overclock to around 4.5GHz or less easily.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-RPG-dragon_age_inquisition-test-DragonAgeInquisition_proz_proz.jpg

MADGAME

Yes, it's definitely possible, a new graphics card is just what you need. You don't have to worry about old components - should they die, you can bring the new graphics over to a new PC.

Look into overclocking your processor - the i5 2500K is still a very potent processor and when overclocked will easily match the latest intel i5 models. In a testing scenario with a high end Nvidia graphics card, the 2500K is more than capable of a great framerate. If you're using the stock Intel cooler, look into getting something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for under $30. With that you can overclock to around 4.5GHz or less easily.

Excellent, thanks for the reply and this is what I was hoping to hear. My processor is actually already overclocked to 4.5. Any advice on cards that could do the job for another year or two until it's time for a new PC? Would I need to coordinate that based on my power supply?

Is there a reason you're buying in the US and having it shipped to Canada? If you can tell us how much shipping will be, we could do some cost comparisons. Here's my version of your build, money was saved with no performance drop, and you get 16GB RAM as well as a power supply that will handle SLI in the future.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($348.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Phenom M Nvidia Edition: Black MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1363.89 USD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:40 EST-0500

Here's a build priced in Canada for comparison. Roughly the same performance, just had to cut back a bit to save some money with some more cost-effective choices.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($367.95 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M550 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($409.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($84.88 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($68.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1505.53 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 14:54 EST-0500

Going by the current exchange rate, $1364USD is about $1618 CAD. If you don't mind assembling it yourself (or pricematching everything through NCIX and having NCIX assemble it for you for $50 including warranty), it may be worth the savings.

This is awesome - thank you so much. I should have mentioned that part of my request to the person who offered to build it for me is "future-proofing" as long as possible. I'm used to a 4-5 year console cycle, so having something that I could rely on or do minor upgrades / tweaks for that period would be ideal.

RGM79

Excellent, thanks for the reply and this is what I was hoping to hear. My processor is actually already overclocked to 4.5. Any advice on cards that could do the job for another year or two until it's time for a new PC? Would I need to coordinate that based on my power supply?

I glanced over your screenshots and didn't notice it was already overclocked. You're already set, then.

Yes, graphics card choice will depend on the power supply. What power supply do you have? The Nvidia GTX 970 ($330~370) is a popular choice and for good reason, although AMD offers the slightly slower R9 290 ($240-300) at a very competitive price-to-performance ratio as well.

This is awesome - thank you so much. I should have mentioned that part of my request to the person who offered to build it for me is "future-proofing" as long as possible. I'm used to a 4-5 year console cycle, so having something that I could rely on or do minor upgrades / tweaks for that period would be ideal.

My parts lists are based on the parts you said were recommended by that person (same processor, graphics card, case) so whatever future-proofing he intended is also present in my parts list. My recommendations are just a bit tweaked for better cost savings. Strange that he recommended just 550 watts - it's enough for a single graphics card, but the 750 watt power supplies I recommended will mean you have the capacity to add a second graphics card in the future no problem. Maybe he's just working with the parts he has on supply.

In terms of performance, you should be fine for the future. All three parts lists have CPU coolers that will allow for more than decent CPU overclocking, and the single GTX 970 will be good for high settings at 1080p in most games for the next 2-3 years, even longer if you don't mind turning down settings. My recommendation of 750 watt power supplies will let you do SLI later on, if you want to.

You should be good for future expansion and performance.

Leckan

If you're talking about the i5 4670K and i7 4770K compared to the i5 4690K and i7 4790K, the difference in performance is very slight. Depending on how much cheaper you can get it for, I'd say it's probably worth it.

Yes, a Z97 motherboard will work just fine.

I forgot to ask about i5 vs i7 IF you will only game on it.

MADGAME

I glanced over your screenshots and didn't notice it was already overclocked. You're already set, then.

Yes, graphics card choice will depend on the power supply. What power supply do you have? The Nvidia GTX 970 ($330~370) is a popular choice and for good reason, although AMD offers the slightly slower R9 290 ($240-300) at a very competitive price-to-performance ratio as well.

Power source is the one thing I'm not sure of. Sticker must be on the bottom of the unit and I did not disassemble. One last question if you are able to help. Do I need to pay attention to the interface...I notice there are PCI x8, x16, and 2.0/3.0, etc cards for sale. Is that related to my motherboard and if so how to tell which one I need...can we tell by the CPUID screenshots?. Ugh, feel like such a noob asking this.

beastmode

Budget: Whatever the best price/performance parts ends up I guess, around or lower than $1000.
Monitor Resolution: 1080
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: MGSV: The Phantom Pain at 1080/60 on at least all High (edit: Oh and Witcher 3 and Star Wars Battlefront)
When will you build?: Few months from now at most
Will you be overclocking?: Nah

How are these?

http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70
http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR13N9S8K2_8.pdf
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2752-KR
I did PC Part Picker list for the above

Note: the MB is a placeholder for a $199.99 one, the GPU I'm going with is the same price but 2GB, and the case is a placeholder for my casefu the Lian Li PC-7F that I hope to find

Edit:
The graphics card is a bit low powered, but everything seems fine. I'd recommend you come back here about a week or two before you plan to buy so we can figure out a definite parts list. Prices will change, so it's better to get a parts list and price quote just before you plan to buy.
Thx. I guess the hard deadline would be May for Witcher 3 but I'll probably get it by March.

Edit 2: My current build is a 1GB 5850, 1090T, & 4GB ram

RGM79

thanks! what's the popular GTX 970 brand out there these days? I'll bookmark it on Amazon when I'm ready to purchase
Asus, EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte make the better models. Bookmark this link for an always current index of prices.

The Asus Strix GTX 970 is good for midrange performance and quiet operation. For EVGA, aim for Superclocked edition or faster, can't really go wrong. MSI's Gaming 4G model is their best and well suited for overclocking, as well as having a silent mode like the Asus Strix. Gigabyte has their G1 Gaming edition, which is a very large cooler (may not fit your case) but offers some of the best GPU cooling.

I forgot to ask about i5 vs i7 IF you will only game on it.

Go with i5 in that case. The i7's hyperthreading makes little to no difference when it comes to game framerate. Look at this benchmark - scroll down - and you'll see that the i5 and i7 produce near identical framerate for nearly all games.

Power source is the one thing I'm not sure of. Sticker must be on the bottom of the unit and I did not disassemble. One last question if you are able to help. Do I need to pay attention to the interface...I notice there are PCI x8, x16, and 2.0/3.0, etc cards for sale. Is that related to my motherboard and if so how to tell which one I need...can we tell by the CPUID screenshots?. Ugh, feel like such a noob asking this.

No way to tell power supply details unless you open up the computer's side panels to take a look. There could be a sticker on the opposite side of the power supply, not just the side facing out of the open case.

You do not need to worry about PCI-E at all. PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 are backwards compatible, and there is no real speed difference as even PCI-E 2.0 x8 is enough for the latest high end graphics cards. PCI-E 3.0 and x16 is for now just super high speed extra headroom for the future (and high end PCI-E SSD devices, if those are still a thing.)

Testing benchmarks:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-performance-myths-debunked,3739-3.html

can i do 120hz/lightboost reasonably with a 770?

Depends on the games you play and at what graphical settings.

I think i finalized a super budget build for my neighbors. They are pretty much using this for internet, email, skype, etc. I am not looking to switch to an intel chip at all. Is the psu sufficient?

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus A78M-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.78 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $279.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 16:37 EST-0500

SodaBeam

Neo Member
GAF, I have a few questions. I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC, but I've never done this before, so I don't intend to stray much from the suggested builds on the PC build sheet. I'm looking for something smallish that I can use as a desktop PC, but that I can also bring to my living room and use as a kind of gaming console. Is that feasible? Is the "Good - Very Capable" build (the $565 one) from the build sheet suitable for this? Or would things inside get damaged/knocked around from getting moved occasionally?

I've also considered getting a small form factor PC, but they seem to get kind of expensive quickly (I don't want to spend much more than 500, maybe 600 euros). My concern with the cheap AMD Fusion builds from this post is that they might get obsolete quickly, and it seems like upgrading them would get expensive. Would they still be able to play games coming out 3 or 4 years from now? Graphical fidelity is not a priority, as long as the framerate is still reasonable.

To summarise:

Your Current Specs: n/a
Budget: 500-600 euros, Netherlands
Main Use: only Gaming and General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: n/a
When will you build?: I don't have a deadline
Will you be overclocking?: No

Thanks for your help if you have any recommendations!

Quoted for a new page. Would the "Good - Very Capable" build suit what I'm looking for? Or could I suffice with a cheap small form factor PC?

My parts lists are based on the parts you said were recommended by that person (same processor, graphics card, case) so whatever future-proofing he intended is also present in my parts list. My recommendations are just a bit tweaked for better cost savings. Strange that he recommended just 550 watts - it's enough for a single graphics card, but the 750 watt power supplies I recommended will mean you have the capacity to add a second graphics card in the future no problem. Maybe he's just working with the parts he has on supply.

In terms of performance, you should be fine for the future. All three parts lists have CPU coolers that will allow for more than decent CPU overclocking, and the single GTX 970 will be good for high settings at 1080p in most games for the next 2-3 years, even longer if you don't mind turning down settings. My recommendation of 750 watt power supplies will let you do SLI later on, if you want to.

You should be good for future expansion and performance.

Awesome - again, thanks for the great input!

RGM79

I did PC Part Picker list for the above

Note: the MB is a placeholder for a $199.99 one, the GPU I'm going with is the same price but 2GB, and the case is a placeholder for my casefu the Lian Li PC-7F that I hope to find

Edit: Thx. I guess the hard deadline would be May for Witcher 3 but I'll probably get it by March.

You're in Canada? I think your build is overpriced. Are you sure you want a GTX 750? It's got about the same performance as your 5850, you could just reuse that instead. Good luck finding the Lian Li PC-7F, it seems to have been discontinued for a couple of years now, you may have to find it for sale used.

Here's a comparable build with the exact same performance, assuming you'll reuse your old 5850. You could save a lot of money going with this instead.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.32 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($104.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($85.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.75 @ Vuugo)
Other: Windows 7 64 bit (Purchased For $15.00)
Total: $585.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 17:18 EST-0500

Windows 7 can be purchased from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for less than $20. This costs almost half of what you were intending to buy. It's a pretty substantial cost savings.

Thanks!

So here is the final build I have planned for my friend:

oMSHwgw.jpg

Any comments or feedback? He doesn't really plan to do much gaming with it, mostly for development, Unity, Photoshop, etc.

Looks mostly fine to me, but I do have recommendations to save a lot of money.

I don't recommend WD Black for the storage drive. It's not a bad hard drive in any way, but because I assume you will have the OS on the SSD, you could go with a slower storage hard drive and you won't see much of a difference. For 2TB, I recommend this Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM hard drive instead for just $88.

The GTX 760 is overpriced and due to be replaced by the GTX 960 soon. For $270, it is a very bad deal. You could get the XFX R9 270X instead for $195 after rebate and it will be roughly equal in performance. He could also save some money and get a Gigabyte GTX 750 for $120 after $20 rebate.

That Seasonic 520 watt power supply for $86 is a very good brand, but that model is very expensive right now. For the same price you could get a quality EVGA B2 850 watt power supply at $85 after $20 rebate, or the EVGA B1 600 watt power supply for $60 after $20 rebate.

RGM79

Putting this in a separate post for better visibility.
I think i finalized a super budget build for my neighbors. They are pretty much using this for internet, email, skype, etc. I am not looking to switch to an intel chip at all. Is the psu sufficient?

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus A78M-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC MA08-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.78 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $279.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-07 16:37 EST-0500

Looks great to me. If they won't be needing a lot of storage space, you could go with a 500GB hard drive. Good call on the Seasonic power supply. I don't know about the DIYPC brand for the case. In terms of cases I'd recommend, you can get the Fractal Core 1000 for $35 or the Antec VSK-3000 for $25.

kennah

Why are you buying in the states and having it shipped? You'll definitely get dinged duty at the border and some warranties don't cross the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom