• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey_jay

Neo Member
Hey guys! Long time lurker. First time posting. Looking to build myself a modest pc for some recreational gaming. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your Current Specs: Late 2013 MacBook Pro
Budget: $1600 US
Main Use: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 4, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 3, Video Editing 1, Streaming games in HD 1 , 3D/Model work None, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4.
Monitor Resolution: Would like to be able to game at 1080p. Maybe upscale a few games to 1440p.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would like to run things at a somewhat steady 60 fps. Using G-Sync as well.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: As soon as possible
Will you be overclocking?: No.

Also looking for mouse, keyboard and a few monitor recommendations if at all possible. Maybe be able to shell out a few extra bucks for a great monitor. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

roddur

What are the differences between profile 1 and 2?

I don't see any difference.

Regardless of which XMP profile is selected, the CPU temp shouldn't increase by 10 degrees by changing the RAM speed...

But it is. CPU hoovers around 42 deg, with changed profile it went up to 54 deg.

Xmp sometimes disables power saving and cranks your processor to max speed.

Anything can be done about it?

roddur

Downloaded RealTemp and the temp is around 40 deg. with the ram speed set to 1866mhz. So apologies for the confusion.

But checking cpu temp in BIOS actually shows CPU temp raised up to 57 deg.

Etnos

Banned
Hey guys, built myself a new PC like 3 weeks ago, I've been experiencing weird ass random crashes an clock_watchdog_timeout blue screens. As for examples it would run BF4 for hours NP whatsoever, but it would crash when trying to work with Athom web IDE. Took me literary 10 trys before I could install the xamp server, it will freeze for no reason during the installation.

I ran memtest86 today with the following results:

IMG_4382.jpg

All the errors occurred during the hammer test. Wondering if any fo you tech savy dudes, know WTF does that means? Do I need to change my RAM?

prolly dumb nooby questions, but never ever had to run memtest86 before, cheers!

Ullus

Don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this in, but i didn't find anything while searching.

I've been thinking about getting rid of my 27'' and 24'' 1080p monitors in favor of a single 1440p monitor, anyone here gone that route and did you regret it? Kinda feels like i'll miss the second monitor, but the extra space on the desk would be nice.

Don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this in, but i didn't find anything while searching.

I've been thinking about getting rid of my 27'' and 24'' 1080p monitors in favor of a single 1440p monitor, anyone here gone that route and did you regret it? Kinda feels like i'll miss the second monitor, but the extra space on the desk would be nice.

I got rid of two 22" 1080p monitors in favour of a 27" 1440p one and I've been very happy. Unless you need two monitors for work then you should give it a try.

---

I've got a question about re-using my OS on my soon-to-be-arriving new PC. It's a Windows 8 Pro key that I got for $15 back when Microsoft had some promotion going on and I've been using it since then. When I get my new PC am I able to just install Windows 8 from a disk or USB and then use the same key, or do I need to uninstall it from my current PC first?

Also, is it possible to get an ISO for Windows 8.1 and use my Windows 8 key with that? Every time I've reformatted I've always had to install W8 and then go into the Windows Store and download the 8.1 update. It would be simpler if I could just install 8.1 right off the bat.

Edit: Is there a 2015 PC thread?

Faith

Sorry, missed your post. If you're not looking for performance and will only do a slight overclock, then you can definitely save some money and stick with a cheaper and smaller water cooler like the NZXT Kraken X41 or Corsair H60/H80i, but they'll perform at around the same level as your current Dark Rock Pro 2, maybe, not much better. Stock fans will be fine, unless you're going for aesthetics.

Your heatsink isn't actually bending the motherboard, is it? Usually that isn't a problem, even for the largest heatsinks.
I might overclock in the future because I'm not planning buying a new CPU for some years. I ordered the X61. I asked about the stock fans because of the noise level. But I'm gonna try out the stock fans and see if I'm satisfied.

No not really. It's just not sitting perpendicular on the mainboard ^^

Hey guys, built myself a new PC like 3 weeks ago, I've been experiencing weird ass random crashes an clock_watchdog_timeout blue screens. As for examples it would run BF4 for hours NP whatsoever, but it would crash when trying to work with Athom web IDE. Took me literary 10 trys before I could install the xamp server, it will freeze for no reason during the installation.

I ran memtest86 today with the following results:

IMG_4382.jpg

All the errors occurred during the hammer test. Wondering if any fo you tech savy dudes, know WTF does that means? Do I need to change my RAM?

prolly dumb nooby questions, but never ever had to run memtest86 before, cheers!

Well, it basically means that you should get new RAM. Of course make sure to check if the timings are correct, wrong timings could cause these errors. Also you could try to raise voltage slightly and also make sure that the voltage is actually set on the default level for that RAM (e.g. there is RAM on the market that needs 1.65V).

EUA

Going to build an ssd-only (is that a good idead?) mini-itx desktop. Looking to spend 1000 euros max. I want it to be as high-end as possible. Aiming at at the cheapest components in their tier. Not going to overclock but hope this system can last at least 3 years. the build must be able to run all kind of games in 1080p 40-60 fps.

So my thoughts are:

cpu: Intel core i5 4430 €160.82
mothearboard: asrock H97M-ITX/AC €92.89
ram: crucial ddr3-1600 8gb (1 stick) €67.49 (i understand dual-channel ram is better, but since mini-itx mb has two slots, id rather buy one stick now and another one later)
storage: crucial CT512MX100SSD1 €185.30
Video card: Zotac ZT-90101-10P 4gb €315.73 (no idea which one i should pick, but it's the cheapest)
case: cooler master elite 110 miti-itx Tower €40.71
power supply: Fractal Design FD-PSU-IN2B-500W 80+ Bronze €43.32
Total: €906.26
http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/F7j6P6

not sure which cooler i need because of the size of the case.

what do you guys think?

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ right now with fans set up in a push pull config, and I'm thinking about going to a closed loop watercooler set up to get better temps. I have a i7 4790k idling around the high 30s low 40s (it is overclocked a bit) and I'd like it to idle a little cooler. Any suggestions on the best closed loop water cooler I can fit in a Define R4 case?

ref

Quick Question, which GTX 970 is better, Windforce G1 or any of the Asus offerings?

I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly. Both of those will be fantastic, and there would be little to no difference in cooling between the two aftermarket coolers. Honestly, I'd go for whichever one you like the looks of more, for me it would be the Asus.

Quick Question, which GTX 970 is better, Windforce G1 or any of the Asus offerings?
Windforce G1 overclocks better, but is nearly 13in long. EVGA's Super Superclocked and FTW+ basically have all the functionality of the Asus cards, better coolers, and better overclocking in all likelihood.

So this year I will start gathering parts and pieces to build another long lasting build! I made my last rig in 2009 and have did some upgrades from time to time but I believe it's time to retire my old i7 920! OC'd it to 3.4ghz.

I don't intend to complete the build till end of 2015 - beginning for 2016. This way I can gather parts and pieces one by one, hopefully one part a month, so this way it won't hurt the bank that much.

Before I begin, just had a couple of questions (my primary purpose is gaming):

1 - Is this a good idea, to buy parts one at a time? I'm only intending to buy the case, PSU, ram, sdd/hdd and other minor add-on ahead of time. CPU, mobo, and gpu will mostly likely be towards the end. If so, whats the best order to get things in?

2- Is there or will there be a worthwhile upgrade from an i7 920?

3 - Is it worth getting dual cards for an SLI ? and If i plan on using watercooling does it matter which manufacture the card is from?

4 - Is it worth getting a dedicated sound card?

Looking forward to sharing all this with you guys!

The Llama

So this year I will start gathering parts and pieces to build another long lasting build! I made my last rig in 2009 and have did some upgrades from time to time but I believe it's time to retire my old i7 920! OC'd it to 3.4ghz.

I don't intend to complete the build till end of 2015 - beginning for 2016. This way I can gather parts and pieces one by one, hopefully one part a month, so this way it won't hurt the bank that much.

Before I began, just had a couple of questions (my primary purpose is gaming):

1 - Is this a good idea, to buy parts one at a time? I'm only intending to buy the case, PSU, ram, sdd/hdd and other minor add-on ahead of time. CPU, mobo, and gpu will mostly likely be towards the end. If so, whats the best order to get things in?

3 - Is it worth getting dual cards for an SLI ? and If i plan on using watercooling does it matter which manufacture the card is from?

Buying parts 1 at a time is a pretty bad strategy. Maybe over a short period of time like a month or so its not a terrible strategy, but in general you should definitely wait until you can afford everything.

Dave_6

I got a pair of Sennheiser HD598s last week but I will probably be using them primarily on my PC for gaming. Which would be more worthwhile, a good sound card or a Schiit stack?

RGM79

I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly. Both of those will be fantastic, and there would be little to no difference in cooling between the two aftermarket coolers. Honestly, I'd go for whichever one you like the looks of more, for me it would be the Asus.

Windforce G1 overclocks better, but is nearly 13in long. EVGA's Super Superclocked and FTW+ basically have all the functionality of the Asus cards, better coolers, and better overclocking in all likelihood.

As someone mentioned a few pages back, there are brand new versions of EVGA GTX 970, the SSC and FTW+ models due out soon, might be worth waiting for as they have several improvements over older versions like silent fan modes and redesigned ACX cooler.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/78613-evga-launching-new-improved-geforce-gtx-970-ssc-card/

Before I begin, just had a couple of questions (my primary purpose is gaming):

1. I don't really recommend it. It's better to save up for it and buy most if not all parts at once. Buying parts early means warranty can run out sooner, and prices can change over the course of a year - you may end up not saving much at all. Also, they may announce new models by the end of the year, making what you buy not as good as what you could have gotten if you had just waited. Aim to purchase parts during 2015 Black Friday or December sales.

2. Sure there is - depends on what your overall budget is. I wouldn't aim for anything else than a 4690K or 4790K, and depending on your budget maybe X99 processors are an option.

3. That will depend on what games you play and what your requirements are. I don't generally recommend SLI because not all games support it, and so it isn't always worth the cost. However, if you were going for 4K resolution then I'd have to recommend SLI, otherwise you may not be able to get a decent framerate with just a single graphics card.

4. Unless you have a specific need for a sound card, no. Onboard sound is more than enough for most users.

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ right now with fans set up in a push pull config, and I'm thinking about going to a closed loop watercooler set up to get better temps. I have a i7 4790k idling around the high 30s low 40s (it is overclocked a bit) and I'd like it to idle a little cooler. Any suggestions on the best closed loop water cooler I can fit in a Define R4 case?

Those temperatures sound fine, there's no real issue with them. You should be worried about whether load temperatures are too high.

That said, what's your budget for a water cooler? I'm sure it should be able to accommodate 240mm radiators with no problems.

RGM79

I got rid of two 22" 1080p monitors in favour of a 27" 1440p one and I've been very happy. Unless you need two monitors for work then you should give it a try.

---

I've got a question about re-using my OS on my soon-to-be-arriving new PC. It's a Windows 8 Pro key that I got for $15 back when Microsoft had some promotion going on and I've been using it since then. When I get my new PC am I able to just install Windows 8 from a disk or USB and then use the same key, or do I need to uninstall it from my current PC first?

Also, is it possible to get an ISO for Windows 8.1 and use my Windows 8 key with that? Every time I've reformatted I've always had to install W8 and then go into the Windows Store and download the 8.1 update. It would be simpler if I could just install 8.1 right off the bat.

Edit: Is there a 2015 PC thread?

You should be able to reinstall with the same key without uninstalling, no problem. As for getting an 8.1 ISO, see here:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key
http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

Hey PC Overlords,

As someone with little knowledge on how price fluctuates over time in the hardware market, should I go for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming at $360 now or wait for it to drop?

I'm worried that the moment AMD releases their new cards, the price of the 970 will drop about $100, but I also don't want to be left out for games like Dying Light and Evolve.

I've also heard that the size of the card might be an issue for certain PCs. I've got a Dell Studio XPS sx8100-850NBC, which is fairly large. Should I be concerned?

Thanks to anyone who can throw me a bone here!

RGM79

Hey PC Overlords,

As someone with little knowledge on how price fluctuates over time in the hardware market, should I go for the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming at $360 now or wait for it to drop?

I'm worried that the moment AMD releases their new cards, the price of the 970 will drop about $100, but I also don't want to be left out for games like Dying Light and Evolve.

I've also heard that the size of the card might be an issue for certain PCs. I've got a Dell Studio XPS sx8100-850NBC, which is fairly large. Should I be concerned?

Thanks to anyone who can throw me a bone here!
If you want the Gigabyte GTX 970, you will need about 320mm length in your case for the graphics card itself. I don't know if Dell publishes figures like graphics card clearance for their computer cases, I doubt it, though. You will probably need to measure the space yourself. If there's not enough room, then consider Asus/EVGA/MSI instead, their GTX 970 coolers are more compact and likely to fit.

Holden

hey pc gaf

i currently got 2 x 4GB F3-12800CL9-4GBRL Ram sticks in my pc, which i think are G.Skill, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

and i randomly found 2 x KHX1600C9D3K2/4G, which i believe is hyperx, 4gb 1600HMz DDR3.

Are they compatible (same amount/ type & speed?) if i use both to pretty much get 16Gb total?

thanks

As someone mentioned a few pages back, there are brand new versions of EVGA GTX 970, the SSC and FTW+ models due out soon, might be worth waiting for as they have several improvements over older versions like silent fan modes and redesigned ACX cooler.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/78613-evga-launching-new-improved-geforce-gtx-970-ssc-card/

1. I don't really recommend it. It's better to save up for it and buy most if not all parts at once. Buying parts early means warranty can run out sooner, and prices can change over the course of a year - you may end up not saving much at all. Also, they may announce new models by the end of the year, making what you buy not as good as what you could have gotten if you had just waited. Aim to purchase parts during 2015 Black Friday or December sales.

2. Sure there is - depends on what your overall budget is. I wouldn't aim for anything else than a 4690K or 4790K, and depending on your budget maybe X99 processors are an option.

3. That will depend on what games you play and what your requirements are. I don't generally recommend SLI because not all games support it, and so it isn't always worth the cost. However, if you were going for 4K resolution then I'd have to recommend SLI, otherwise you may not be able to get a decent framerate with just a single graphics card.

4. Unless you have a specific need for a sound card, no. Onboard sound is more than enough for most users.

Those temperatures sound fine, there's no real issue with them. You should be worried about whether load temperatures are too high.

That said, what's your budget for a water cooler? I'm sure it should be able to accommodate 240mm radiators with no problems.

Buying parts 1 at a time is a pretty bad strategy. Maybe over a short period of time like a month or so its not a terrible strategy, but in general you should definitely wait until you can afford everything.

This was my concern as well. I guess it's best to just save up and get it all at once. This does give me chance to do more research!

Thanks guys!

kharma45

hey pc gaf

i currently got 2 x 4GB F3-12800CL9-4GBRL Ram sticks in my pc, which i think are G.Skill, 4GB 1600MHz DDR3

and i randomly found 2 x KHX1600C9D3K2/4G, which i believe is hyperx, 4gb 1600HMz DDR3.

Are they compatible (same amount/ type & speed?) if i use both to pretty much get 16Gb total?

thanks

Yes it'll work.

hey pc gaf

thanks

It should work, but sometimes different brand memory don't play well together. Just make sure you have all the timings and xmp profile set to the same in your bios.

lordy88

Hey guys, quick MOBO question:

I see MOBOs with SATA 6 GB/s, SATA Express and M.2 sockets. What should I be looking for if I'm only using one 256 GB SSD, a 1 TB HDD, and CD Drive? Would I be using the M.2 or SATA Express?

Thanks!

RGM79

I see MOBOs with SATA 6 GB/s, SATA Express and M.2 sockets. What should I be looking for if I'm only using one 256 GB SSD, a 1 TB HDD, and CD Drive? Would I be using the M.2 or SATA Express?

Thanks!
All of those will connect through SATA (not SATA Express) unless you specifically buy a M.2 version of the SSD.

What is your budget? Maybe we can recommend a motherboard for you.

Thanks!

M.2 is for the small memory chip sized SSD's and Sata Express is a new technology with no drives that realy take advantage of it yet, so I believe. In other words, don't worry about M.2 or Sata Express right now. It's nice to have for the future, but most SSD"s are just Sata 3.

terrisus

Well, the last time I built a desktop was back around 2000. Since then, due to life circumstances, laptops have been my primary/only computer. I'm finally in a situation where I can do a desktop again, and so planning to do a build around March or so. I figure it's good to get ideas and plan ahead though (plus I get excited >.>), so getting a feel for things now. But, this is a couple of months off from me being able to do it.

Your Current Specs: Laptop. 3rd-gen i7 Quad-Core / 8GB RAM / Laptop / geForce 650m 2GB / Still a laptop / In a laptop / Intel 520 mSATA SSD (120GB), 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi, 1TB 5400 Seagate

Budget: Under $2000 + US

Main Use: Light Gaming: 5, Gaming: 3, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2, Video: 0 Editing: 0, Streaming games in HD: 0, 3D/Model work (and what program): 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5.

Monitor Resolution: 3840 x 2160 would be nice.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Don't have really high demands, honestly. I mean, I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, but really, most of the games I play are older. I know it seems silly to go overkill with a desktop given that, but hey, I want something that will be good and last me a while. But, that said, framerate is definitely important to me (moreso than quality)

Looking to reuse any parts?: Have a couple of 500GB Seagate SSDs that I'm going to use as a secondary RAID 1. I do still want a primary SSD (Intel or other very reliable one), as well as a bunch more storage too.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?: I'm figuring to be doing this around March. Figure it's good to get an idea and plan ahead of time though.

Will you be overclocking?: No (hey, I'm boring >.>)

Other notes: Please don't tell me to get a Mac >.> Also, I know given my uses I don't really need anything too high-powered, but, I would like something really good, that's going to last me for a while. Important things to me are (in order of importance): Storage space, access speed of storage, processor, RAM, graphics - and then the various other stuff. I mean, I want them all to be good, of course. But that's my order of importance for what it's worth.

Thanks all =)

hitgirl

So should I get a GTX 970 or 980? Amazon messed up my shipment on the 980, they treat you like a peasant if you're not Prime. While waiting for it arrive I was thinking about the 970. I have a beefy 780 which I like but I want to upgrade and get that new fan technology in the 9XX series. I play on a 1080p TV and with a i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz. I definitely want to max out Witcher 3 when it comes out, but some indications make it look like the graphics have been downgraded a bit. Money is a bit tight right now, but I can manage the 980 price if it's worth it.

kharma45

Well, the last time I built a desktop was back around 2000. Since then, due to life circumstances, laptops have been my primary/only computer. I'm finally in a situation where I can do a desktop again, and so planning to do a build around March or so. I figure it's good to get ideas and plan ahead though (plus I get excited >.>), so getting a feel for things now. But, this is a couple of months off from me being able to do it.

Your Current Specs: Laptop. 3rd-gen i7 Quad-Core / 8GB RAM / Laptop / geForce 650m 2GB / Still a laptop / In a laptop / Intel 520 mSATA SSD (120GB), 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi, 1TB 5400 Seagate

Budget: Under $2000 + US

Main Use: Light Gaming: 5, Gaming: 3, Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2, Video: 0 Editing: 0, Streaming games in HD: 0, 3D/Model work (and what program): 2, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): 5.

Monitor Resolution: 3840 x 2160 would be nice.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Don't have really high demands, honestly. I mean, I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, but really, most of the games I play are older. I know it seems silly to go overkill with a desktop given that, but hey, I want something that will be good and last me a while. But, that said, framerate is definitely important to me (moreso than quality)

Looking to reuse any parts?: Have a couple of 500GB Seagate SSDs that I'm going to use as a secondary RAID 1. I do still want a primary SSD (Intel or other very reliable one), as well as a bunch more storage too.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?: I'm figuring to be doing this around March. Figure it's good to get an idea and plan ahead of time though.

Will you be overclocking?: No (hey, I'm boring >.>)

Other notes: Please don't tell me to get a Mac >.> Also, I know given my uses I don't really need anything too high-powered, but, I would like something really good, that's going to last me for a while. Important things to me are (in order of importance): Storage space, access speed of storage, processor, RAM, graphics - and then the various other stuff. I mean, I want them all to be good, of course. But that's my order of importance for what it's worth.

Thanks all =)

Come back when you're ready to build. What we recommend now won't be the same as then, deals come and go frequently on parts. I'd have a look at the OP if you want a rough idea of what you could get.

terrisus

Come back when you're ready to build. What we recommend now won't be the same as then, deals come and go frequently on parts. I'd have a look at the OP if you want a rough idea of what you could get.

Aww, that's no fun :þ

Ah well, at least I have that written up for when it gets closer >.>

McBryBry

NoRéN;146116294 said:
Parts will always be outclassed soon after you get them. :)

While true, waiting gets you everything up to date, where as I bought a Define R4. Then the R5 was out by the time I got my GPU. Oops. :p

It's hard to say if the G1 is any good. There are no reviews and it's made by FSP Group, not Seasonic. Not that FSP is totally bad, but their reputation is sorta so-so. You generally want to get a decent PSU if possible - it's not that you should cheap out on the PSU if you're not pushing the system hard, but why bother risking it? It powers everything, you don't want it to die and take out other parts as well.

A-Data is alright, they just never seem to have RAM for a cheap price, I usually find Patriot, G.Skill, Crucial, etc for better prices.

Do you mean he's offering to give you or sell you his RAM? CAS 11 and 1600MHz is kind of high latency and low speed, not that great. 8GB of RAM is generally enough for most people, mainly only those doing media production like video editing or workstation processing will need 16GB or more. If you haven't bought the RAM yet, you can get 8GB of high speed memory for $79 CAD, I think the $9 extra is worth it.

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 CAS9 for $79

8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2133 CAS11 for $79

Thanks RGM79. You have helped me a ton in this thread with my build.

My friend is just offering me his 8GB of identical RAM. I think I will just keep this simple 8GB ADATA set unless I can move it. I would like a CAS9/1866mHz set like you suggested but I bought the ADATA due to price (Black Friday) and memory size.

I agree with you about the PSU importance. I went through 2 in my old desktop and a quality one is certainly desirable. I was just hoping the G1 is of similar quality.

How much does the 2GB of GDDR RAM on my 285 affect multi monitor set ups? Would 3 monitors with 1 gaming be too much (other two light browsing or just on)?

RGM79

Thanks RGM79. You have helped me a ton in this thread with my build.

My friend is just offering me his 8GB of identical RAM. I think I will just keep this simple 8GB ADATA set unless I can move it. I would like a CAS9/1866mHz set like you suggested but I bought the ADATA due to price (Black Friday) and memory size.

I agree with you about the PSU importance. I went through 2 in my old desktop and a quality one is certainly desirable. I was just hoping the G1 is of similar quality.

How much does the 2GB of GDDR RAM on my 285 affect multi monitor set ups? Would 3 monitors with 1 gaming be too much (other two light browsing or just on)?
If you're not gaming on more than one monitor at 1080p, it'll be fine, it doesn't matter how many monitors you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom