• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Hey guys, I'm having lots of problems with my setup since adding my 3rd 980Ti. Apparently my Antec HCP-1300 1300w PSU can't handle the load. I thought I was having problems with my old HCP-1200 and they upgraded me to the HCP-1300 for free, and it's a POS. It's only rated for 1400w max. The HCP-1200 was rated for 1700w+. I want it back. 😡 I spoke to the tech support at Antec and they suggested I buy a 2nd small PS, use the link function and run it externally. Either that or buy a bigger PS. Nice. Needless to say I'll never buy Antec again. Bastards.

OK, I need a better PS. It needs to be able to handle 3-Way SLI 980Ti on a Haswell 5820k @ 4.3GHz, all GPU's/CPU'ed overclocked/overvolted. With 7 drives+peripherals.

Problem is I'm pretty sure my apartment wiring can't handle a 1500w/1600w PSU or I'd pick up the EVGA 1600w. It probably needs a dedicated line and I don't have one for it.

HCP-1200 ran 3-way 6OG Titans for years+ more. It was awesome. 😢

Are you sure your old PSU was rated for 1700 watts?
DSC05308.jpg

And are you definitely sure whatever the hell you're running is too much for the HCP-1300 PSU? Three overclocked 980 Ti cards would draw around 750~800 watts, while the 5820K even overclocked can't be more than about 150~200 watts. Seven drives and the rest of your PC including motherboard and peripherals would likely be no more than 150 watts. Have you made sure to balance what you're connecting to the power cables so you aren't overloading a single rail?

Resilient

Hey guys, I'm having lots of problems with my setup since adding my 3rd 980Ti. Apparently my Antec HCP-1300 1300w PSU can't handle the load. I thought I was having problems with my old HCP-1200 and they upgraded me to the HCP-1300 for free, and it's a POS. It's only rated for 1400w max. The HCP-1200 was rated for 1700w+. I want it back. 😡 I spoke to the tech support at Antec and they suggested I buy a 2nd small PS, use the link function and run it externally. Either that or buy a bigger PS. Nice. Needless to say I'll never buy Antec again. Bastards.

OK, I need a better PS. It needs to be able to handle 3-Way SLI 980Ti on a Haswell 5820k @ 4.3GHz, all GPU's/CPU'ed overclocked/overvolted. With 7 drives+peripherals.

Problem is I'm pretty sure my apartment wiring can't handle a 1500w/1600w PSU or I'd pick up the EVGA 1600w. It probably needs a dedicated line and I don't have one for it.

HCP-1200 ran 3-way 6OG Titans for years+ more. It was awesome. 😢

the answer is that it's time to slow down

Wag

Are you sure your old PSU was rated for 1700 watts?
DSC05308.jpg

And are you definitely sure whatever the hell you're running is too much for the HCP-1300 PSU? Three overclocked 980 Ti cards would draw around 750~800 watts, while the 5820K even overclocked can't be more than about 150~200 watts. Seven drives and the rest of your PC including motherboard and peripherals would likely be no more than 150 watts. Have you made sure to balance what you're connecting to the power cables so you aren't overloading a single rail?

Thank you for replying, The HCP-1200 can deliver 1700W continuous. It could deliver 2100W peak. It was designed with massive overhead.

The HCP-1300 has protections in place to prevent more than ~1400-1500W being drawn. It may or may not be able to reach the same level as HCP-1200 if the protections were disabled.

Because your previous HCP-1200 has a configuration of 8 rails (12V1-12V8) this has more room for the video cards to draw the power.

Due to the limited railing on the HCP-1300 (12V1-12V4) Your setup is usually configured as this

12V1: MoBo 8-pin, Peripherals
12V2: 2x CPU EPS connectors
12V3 & 12V4: 1-2 video cards are safe (3-4 video cards depends on what model)

More likely you're over volting your PSU to it's limit. We have done the same issue with these customer on the forum:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1481789/baashas-4k-4k-surround-5k-quad-gtx-titan-black-sc-titan-x-benchmarks-thread

This was his thread before when he encountered that he can't run 4 video cards on the HCP-1300 Platinum PSU

http://www.overclock.net/t/1470877/antec-hcp-1300-connection-multi-rail-nightmare-please-help/20

His solution was he purchased a HCP-850 Platinum and a HCP-1300 Platinum, used OC link to the PSU which tandems both PSU,

Assigned 2 video cards on the HCP-1300 and the other 2 on the HCP-850

Thank You

http://www.overclock.net/t/1470877/antec-hcp-1300-connection-multi-rail-nightmare-please-help

Yup. This guy had the same exact problem as I do. The HCP-1300 is a POS. It can't handle more than 2 Titans in SLI in a stable configuration, regardless of how you set it up. I'm not going to waste my time with it.

My concern is that I'll get a 1600w PSU and I'll start tripping the circuit (especially when I have other things like a 40"+ 4k display on it). Not sure if another 1300w PS will be good enough. It should but I don't want to waste my money on it.

RGM79

http://www.overclock.net/t/1470877/antec-hcp-1300-connection-multi-rail-nightmare-please-help

Yup. This guy had the same exact problem as I do. The HCP-1300 is a POS. It can't handle more than 2 Titans in SLI in a stable configuration, regardless of how you set it up. I'm not going to waste my time with it.

My concern is that I'll get a 1600w PSU and I'll start tripping the circuit (especially when I have other things like a 40"+ 4k display on it). Not sure if another 1300w PS will be good enough. It should but I don't want to waste my money on it.

Simply having a 1600 watt PSU doesn't mean it draws 1600 watts all of the time. The PSU only supplies as much wattage as the PC uses. Sorry to hear that the HCP-1300 is a lemon, that thing has such good reviews.

Are you running all of your equipment off one household (~1800W) circuit?

Wag

Simply having a 1600 watt PSU doesn't mean it draws 1600 watts all of the time. The PSU only supplies as much wattage as the PC uses. Sorry to hear that the HCP-1300 is a lemon, that thing has such good reviews.

Are you running all of your equipment off one household (~1800W) circuit?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V2SC4692&cm_re=hcp-1300-_-17-371-064-_-Product

Check out some of the HCP-1300 reviews on Newegg. They know what's up. I was hesitant before they "upgraded" me but I was troubleshooting my setup so I had no choice. The Antec tech guys told me the 1200s had a problem with burnt out caps. It was a mistake to trade it in. The 1200 was a beast.

Yes, I am running everything off a single circuit. Therein lies the problem. The only thing in my living room that has a dedicated line is the A/C. Everything else on the computer is running off of a single outlet (PC, 48" 4k display, etc). My home theater is on the same circuit as well. I don't think it can handle a 1600w PS on top of that. It could barely handle the Antec 1200 at load (during games on 3 OG Titans).

RGM79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V2SC4692&cm_re=hcp-1300-_-17-371-064-_-Product

Check out some of the HCP-1300 reviews on Newegg. They know what's up. I was hesitant before they "upgraded" me but I was troubleshooting my setup so I had no choice. The Antec tech guys told me the 1200s had a problem with burnt out caps. It was a mistake to trade it in. The 1200 was a beast.

Yes, I am running everything off a single circuit. Therein lies the problem. The only thing in my living room that has a dedicated line is the A/C. Everything else on the computer is running off of a single outlet (PC, 48" 4k display, etc). My home theater is on the same circuit as well. I don't think it can handle a 1600w PS on top of that. It could barely handle the Antec 1200 at load (during games on 3 OG Titans).

In that case, you don't seem to have much choice. Go with a new PSU. Look here for some examples.

About the power supply wattage and your circuit breaker, you don't seem to understand. If you had a 1600W PSU powering a Pentium G3220 on a H81 motherboard, it's not drawing 1600 watts from the wall. It's only drawing however much power that the PC components require (around ~100 watts in that example). To make it simpler, think of what the PSU label says as what its capacity is - the 1600 watt PSU will power all of the components connected to it up to a maximum of 1600 watts.

In other words, the PSU and what wattage the label says is not what the PC is constantly drawing from the wall. The PSU only takes as much power from the AC outlet as is needed to power your computer. If it's idle, it's not drawing 1600 watts, but only what it needs to run the PC (probably less than 200 watts). If it's at full load and playing games, it's still not drawing 1600 watts, but only what it needs to run your PC while playing games (which is apparently 1400+ watts or so).

Wag

RGM79

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1600-X1
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1600-X1

The EVGA 1600 line has a 133.3A 12v rail. That should be able to handle it. Not sure if I should get the 1600G or the 1600P. I read the P is better, the specs are similar but the P is only $40 more. Opinions?

Eh. If I only kept my HCP-1200 I wouldn't have any of these problems. Now I have to spend another $300+, and sell the 1300 on Ebay. PITA. 😡

Take a look at the Jonny Guru reviews for both units.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=391
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=406

They're both great, the platinum model just scores lower because the reviewer was going off the price that he saw the unit was selling for at the time he did the review.. and because in the load testing the G2 was able to reach platinum level efficiency as tested despite being branded "only" as a gold efficiency model.

Blackage

What's coming after the 6600/6700K? I know it won't hit until probably Q2-Q3 2016, but I can't find anything.

Skylake hype/anticipation was all over the place for the past year before its release.

What's coming after the 6600/6700K? I know it won't hit until probably Q2-Q3 2016, but I can't find anything.

Skylake hype/anticipation was all over the place for the past year before its release.

I think next year will have Broadwell-E and Kaby Lake (if that's the right name). Possibly a Skylake refresh before Kaby Lake.

The tweeks designed to extend the life of your SSD aren't that important with modern SSDs... you are gonna want to replace it before it dies or comes close to the write threshhold.

What are the thresholds?

I guess the only thing people can do is look at Crystal DiskInfo and see the Power On hours and check against the aggregate of failure rates, but hardly anyone is going to update info on a regular basis for any data to be reliable?

If there is planned obsolescence involved not many people are going to be too keen on second hand ssd's unless the power on hours are stated, even then people would just label it as a "separate games drive" when it was for a bloated OS with indexing turned on and anti-virus checking shit every nanosecond. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
What are the thresholds?
Your drive's specifications will tell you. I outlined an example in my post with the Samsung 850 Pro.

It takes very heavy use to reach it within the warranty period (10 years in the case of the 850 Pro) Anyone doing that much writing should consider moving those tasks to a cheaper mechanical drive if reaching the limit is a concern.

Jarsonot

Hey all!

I built a rig earlier this year thanks in large part to this thread (or maybe the previous one?).

The PC is great - i7 4790k CPU, GTX 980...

But I've been playing on an old 19" 1080p TV.

Got permission from the wife to get a monitor, and want to get one with g-sync.

My question is: should I spend the extra to get a 1440p monitor, or is 1080p more realistic? By that I mean, if I favor frame rate over resolution, will my GPU be able to push 1440p at a high frame rate, making 1440p worthwhile?

Appreciate your thoughts, I don't know much about this stuff, feel like an imposter in these threads. =)

Edit: damnit. Frame rate, not resolution

Hey all!

I built a rig earlier this year thanks in large part to this thread (or maybe the previous one?).

The PC is great - i7 4790k CPU, GTX 980...

But I've been playing on an old 19" 1080p TV.

Got permission from the wife to get a monitor, and want to get one with g-sync.

My question is: should I spend the extra to get a 1440p monitor, or is 1080p more realistic? By that I mean, if I favor frame rate over resolution, will my GPU be able to push 1440p at a high resolution, making 1440p worthwhile?

Appreciate your thoughts, I don't know much about this stuff, feel like an imposter in these threads. =)

I assume you mean 1440p at a high framerate?

Anyway, it largely depends on the type of game you played, a lot of newer games will give a 980 trouble at 1440. And by trouble I mean <60 fps.

So I say go with a 1080p 144hz screen if you favor framerate. You can always downsample from 1440p when your card has headroom for lighter games.

I want to buy the ASUS MG278Q Monitor

It's 27" in 1440p with 144hz and freesync. Any opinions about it?

You might want to look into the MG279Q. It is a little bit more expensive and has no freesync, but it has an IPS panel. I use a 4k ips freesync and a 144hz TN monitor and cant notice any tearing on both Monitors. So i think Adaptiv Sync isnt realy necessary on a 144hz monitor.

If 144hz isnt that improtant to you, chek out the lg 27mu67. It is a 4 monitor and has freesync. I play most stuff in 1440p but i still locks realy good and smaler titels even run at 4k.

Jarsonot

I assume you mean 1440p at a high framerate?

Anyway, it largely depends on the type of game you played, most newer games will give a 980 trouble at 1440. And by trouble I mean <60 fps.

So I say go with a 1080p 144hz screen if you favor framerate. You can always downsample from 1440p when your card has headroom for lighter games.

D'oh. Frame rate, yes. =)

And thanks, that answer saves me money. =)

abracadaver

Freesync range 35-90hz. I'm ok with 90hz but you have to keep it in mind.
Otherwise it is a nice monitor.

It's 40-144hz? You might think of the MG279Q

You might want to look into the MG279Q. It is a little bit more expensive and has no freesync, but it has an IPS panel. I use a 4k ips freesync and a 144hz TN monitor and cant notice any tearing on both Monitors. So i think Adaptiv Sync isnt realy necessary on a 144hz monitor.

If 144hz isnt that improtant to you, chek out the lg 27mu67. It is a 4 monitor and has freesync. I play most stuff in 1440p but i still locks realy good and smaler titels even run at 4k.

The MG279Q has freesync as well but only from 35-90hz. Also it's IPS

I want that 1ms response time of the TN panel. Also I heard it has an 8bit TN panel instead of a 6bit TN panel making the colours better and more IPS like?

Wag

Take a look at the Jonny Guru reviews for both units.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=391
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=406

They're both great, the platinum model just scores lower because the reviewer was going off the price that he saw the unit was selling for at the time he did the review.. and because in the load testing the G2 was able to reach platinum level efficiency as tested despite being branded "only" as a gold efficiency model.

It looks like the P2 has a semi-fanless mode. I'm not sure I'd ever use that. Other than that I'm not sure I can find any other differences. I think there's one other. They both have 10yr warranties. Not sure if it's worth the $40 difference.

eyeless

when do you think the gtx "1070/1080" will be released, would may 2016 be a reasonable expectation, any longer is too long right pls

also do you think they'll have minimum 6gb vram

the answer is that it's time to slow down
hahaha this got me

So guys, I came here to ask if surge protectors matter. I've always used the cheapo kind that have zero features and just an on/off switch. Since I'm investing a couple thousand in a new PC I want to make sure it's actually protected. Advice?

RGM79

hahaha this got me

So guys, I came here to ask if surge protectors matter. I've always used the cheapo kind that have zero features and just an on/off switch. Since I'm investing a couple thousand in a new PC I want to make sure it's actually protected. Advice?

Do you live in a place where that's actually somewhat of a concern? Are lightning storms common? I don't know exactly what features you would need.. if you want heavy duty protection, I guess you can look into getting a uninterruptible power supply, but I'm not very knowledgeable about those.

I have my own home PC plugged into an APC brand surge protector and UPS, but those were given to me so I didn't research and pick them. The weather is also fairly mild where I am, I can't remember the last time there was lightning and I've never had my surge protector or UPS save the stuff plugged into it.

gamma

This should be more than adequate for your needs.

1 x Crucial BX100 250GB, SATA (CT250BX100SSD1)
1 x Intel Pentium G4400, 2x 3.30GHz, boxed (BX80662G4400)
1 x G.Skill Value 4 DIMM 4GB, DDR4-2400, CL15-15-15-35 (F4-2400C15S-4GNT)
2 x Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P
1 x Cooler Master N300 mit Sichtfenster (NSE-300-KWN1)
1 x EVGA 430W ATX 2.3 (100-W1-0430-KR)
1 x Microsoft: Windows 10 Home 64Bit, DSP/SB (deutsch) (PC) (KW9-00146)
Summe aller Bestpreise: € 499,33

I wasn't sure if you needed Windows or not, but I included it anyway to show that it'd be possible to fit it into your budget. If it's not needed, then your friend could opt for an i3 or i5 processor instead, or perhaps different parts like another case if the design of that one isn't to their liking.

Edit: Didn't notice Tacklemacain already got you a good suggestion. His build is great if your friend is looking to save money. My parts list offers more performance but costs more, of course.

We settled on this (+ case):

Is that fine?

RGM79

We settled on this (+ case):

Is that fine?
Looks fine to me. If your friend was worried about running a bunch of programs at the same time, he might want 8GB instead, but 4GB is ok for now and you can always add more in the future.

when do you think the gtx "1070/1080" will be released, would may 2016 be a reasonable expectation, any longer is too long right pls

also do you think they'll have minimum 6gb vram

All unknown at the moment. Don't even know what month to pin down the release at. No idea how much VRAM they would have either, although it seems that Nvidia may have decided that their upper-middle-range cards should have 4GB VRAM minimum.

Do you live in a place where that's actually somewhat of a concern? Are lightning storms common? I don't know exactly what features you would need.. if you want heavy duty protection, I guess you can look into getting a uninterruptible power supply, but I'm not very knowledgeable about those.

I have my own home PC plugged into an APC brand surge protector and UPS, but those were given to me so I didn't research and pick them. The weather is also fairly mild where I am, I can't remember the last time there was lightning and I've never had my surge protector or UPS save the stuff plugged into it.
I live in midwest USA so lightning storms are common, but I personally rarely have issues with my home power.

I'm trying to research this issue on the net, but information is all over the place and mostly anecdotal. One person will recommend a $100 UPS and then the next will say that won't protect you more than a $3 cheap power strip. Other people say the only real protection is unplugging your stuff during a storm. HALP

gamma

Looks fine to me. If your friend was worried about running a bunch of programs at the same time, he might want 8GB instead, but 4GB is ok for now and you can always add more in the future.

All unknown at the moment. Don't even know what month to pin down the release at. No idea how much VRAM they would have either, although it seems that Nvidia may have decided that their upper-middle-range cards should have 4GB VRAM minimum.

Those are 8GB :p

Thanks for your help!

I must have been thinking about the 110i. Didn't realize the 100i was smaller! Well shoot, now I can't decide between the D15 and the 100i GTX. Which one is easier to install?

To be honest with you, with modern cooler/mobo/case designs they're all easy to install. Unless you're working within a small case or waterblocks you shouldn't have any issues with either.

has anyone moved back to 1080p from 1440p?

I've got a 980ti, I'm wanting to get a 27" GSYNC monitor and I'm curious if I should go back to 1080p and just enjoy being able to see the higher framerate for everything vs higher resolution.

I have a 23" 1080p as my 2nd monitor and everything is cramped compared to the current 27" 1440p, but it's lower res AND smaller so I dunno how big of a contrast it is.

is 1440p the light and you can never go back? Is it not a big deal?

Woorloog

Banned
Effing side-panel fan. Was rather difficult to connect...
Now the display... It can't be that difficult. Hopefully it will be okay and won't have any dead pixels...

Woorloog

Banned
3Figures... I forgot to get DVI cable, pretty sure Freesync requires that.

No, wait, what... What the heck do i need...

EDIT Do i need Display Port Cable for Freesync? Not DVI-D?

EDIT RIght, a display port cable. Need to go shopping again then...

Hey, after seeing everyone in the "wait or upgrade" say wait for pascal, I really want to hold off on upgrading my PC, but my GPU is really holding me back. Actually, everything is holding me back, but I learned I could use new PCI 3.0 cards in 2.0 mobos, so I thought I might get a cheap stopgap GPU. Right now I have :

i5 750
GTX 460
16gb ram
1440 x 900 monitor

I was thinking I would get a GTX 950, they're only 200 here in Canada, and use it for a bit until Pascal. I was also planning on upgrading the CPU, mobo and ram around Xmas time, but thought my 460 would be the worst out of everything?

So, I guess my question is : would a 950, paired with my current stuff, get around 60fps at 1440x900? In say, GTA V, MGS V or fallout 4?

Nakazato

Ok guys I have an 2500k not oc'd would it be better to OC or buy a 3770k ?

Could I do a light OC with the stock cooler ? Or do I need to get an bigger one ?

Detox

I've got 2 dual channels on my motherboard. I bought a single 8gb and got a 4gb already. Should I run them together in the same channel or put them in separate ones? I know I should have got dual channel but it's done already and I didn't know at the time.

Faiz

Hello PCGAF.

I'm planning on building two new machines for my wife and I with some of our 2015 tax return money. Is there anything in the offing that might affect the prices of either GTX 970s or i7-6700 by say March 1,2016, or are prices pretty solid there for the foreseeable future?

RGM79

Hey, after seeing everyone in the "wait or upgrade" say wait for pascal, I really want to hold off on upgrading my PC, but my GPU is really holding me back. Actually, everything is holding me back, but I learned I could use new PCI 3.0 cards in 2.0 mobos, so I thought I might get a cheap stopgap GPU. Right now I have :

i5 750
GTX 460
16gb ram
1440 x 900 monitor

I was thinking I would get a GTX 950, they're only 200 here in Canada, and use it for a bit until Pascal. I was also planning on upgrading the CPU, mobo and ram around Xmas time, but thought my 460 would be the worst out of everything?

So, I guess my question is : would a 950, paired with my current stuff, get around 60fps at 1440x900? In say, GTA V, MGS V or fallout 4?

Depends on what settings you want to play the games at. You can reach 60FPS on all games I'm guessing, just that you'll have to lower some settings until it's stable at the framerate that you want. MGSV doesn't require a particularly strong processor so the graphics card will matter more, but GTAV will stress your entire PC more. No idea on Fallout 4 as the game isn't out yet so we don't know exactly how well it'll run on a range of hardware. Your PC is sort of on the edge of the minimum recommended specs for Fallout 4, but I doubt it'd be unplayable.

Ok guys I have an 2500k not oc'd would it be better to OC or buy a 3770k ?

Could I do a light OC with the stock cooler ? Or do I need to get an bigger one ?

Depends on what you're doing with the PC and how much that i7 3770K costs. If it's just for games, there's not that much of a difference in framerate performance so it'd be much cheaper and practical to overclock your i5 2500K. Going up to the 3770K would only be worth it if you were going to do more intensive things that can take advantage of the hyperthreading, like video encoding or rendering. You can do a very light overclock with the stock cooler, but if you're willing to buy and install a $30~50 aftermarket CPU heatsink like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, you can get it to the 4.2~4.5GHz sweet spot which rivals current generation processors in terms of performance.

I've got 2 dual channels on my motherboard. I bought a single 8gb and got a 4gb already. Should I run them together in the same channel or put them in separate ones? I know I should have got dual channel but it's done already and I didn't know at the time.

So you have a single 4GB stick and a single 8GB stick? It doesn't really matter, but I'm sure the common method is to put the RAM into the same color coded slots.

Hello PCGAF.

I'm planning on building two new machines for my wife and I with some of our 2015 tax return money. Is there anything in the offing that might affect the prices of either GTX 970s or i7-6700 by say March 1,2016, or are prices pretty solid there for the foreseeable future?

It's hard to say. Processor prices can vary slightly over time. GPU prices usually stay at or around the same MSRP, but occasionally there will be a nice deal for a GTX 970 that will run just under $300 after rebates.

No one knows the trend, otherwise most of us would always be waiting for when prices would be cheaper before buying. In other words, it's a bit too early to see now. We'd recommend that you buy most if not all of your parts at the same time, though, so you should wait until you're almost ready to buy, to actually look at prices and buy.

hey so...

my current plan (everlasting by the sounds of things) is for a Fractal Define r5 case (not with window). Now i plan on getting a h100i for the cpu (5820k OCd to 4.4ghz or so) but over Sharkoon fans (cyberpower's default "top" fans) are Noctua's worth it? I emailed cyberpower and they said if there is a case or component they don't offer, if people can email them a link they can purchase it and it'll be added to the normal order.

I heard people rave about Noctua but unless it's "worth" the difference over Sharkoon, i'm kinda...ehhhhhhh...

hey so...

my current plan (everlasting by the sounds of things) is for a Fractal Define r5 case (not with window). Now i plan on getting a h100i for the cpu (5820k OCd to 4.4ghz or so) but over Sharkoon fans (cyberpower's default "top" fans) are Noctua's worth it? I emailed cyberpower and they said if there is a case or component they don't offer, if people can email them a link they can purchase it and it'll be added to the normal order.

I heard people rave about Noctua but unless it's "worth" the difference over Sharkoon, i'm kinda...ehhhhhhh...
If it's only a few dollars more, choose the Noctuas because it looks like you have a high-end theme going. If you HAVE to pay for the Sharkoons and then would add Noctuas on top of that price, it's probably not worth it.

If it's only a few dollars more, choose the Noctuas because it looks like you have a high-end theme going. If you HAVE to pay for the Sharkoons and then would add Noctuas on top of that price, it's probably not worth it.

I shouldn't HAVE to, but yeah. I won't be ordering till the pg279q is available for pre order so it's not super urgent.

So I'm running an 8350 OC'ed to 4.4 and a 280x with a moderate oc, and I'm not getting the perf I want, even at 1080p. Looking for a modest bump at 1080. I'm unsure if moving to a 970/390 makes more sense than just jumping to an Intel mobo with an Intel processor.

Fps on the thing is all over the place. Lately, been playing a lot of MMO's like Guildwars 2, and any framerates are solid 60 in confined spaces, but with areas that have any kind of draw distance, drops to sub 20 at times. Even with default settings on low for GW2, when I pan past a scene that overlooks, I drop to the 40's.

And on that point, I never notice my video card sounding like the fan kicks up while gaming. So maybe I need to monitor it and see if something is going on there. In catalyst, it shows it running at 500mhz in idle, and I'll see it jump up to 700 or so while browsing with a lot going on, but I don't think I've ever seen the fan speed go over 20%, so maybe something is going on their? Oh and CPU cooler is an h100

jarosh

I was having issues with some crucial software I need for work that doesn't run right under Win 10, so I decided to downgrade back to Win 7. I am kind of shocked at how much faster the entire system is running under Win 7, to be honest. This is my new 5820K build. I had always assumed Win 10 would run faster.

RGM79

So I'm running an 8350 OC'ed to 4.4 and a 280x with a moderate oc, and I'm not getting the perf I want, even at 1080p. Looking for a modest bump at 1080. I'm unsure if moving to a 970/390 makes more sense than just jumping to an Intel mobo with an Intel processor.

Fps on the thing is all over the place. Lately, been playing a lot of MMO's like Guildwars 2, and any framerates are solid 60 in confined spaces, but with areas that have any kind of draw distance, drops to sub 20 at times. Even with default settings on low for GW2, when I pan past a scene that overlooks, I drop to the 40's.

And on that point, I never notice my video card sounding like the fan kicks up while gaming. So maybe I need to monitor it and see if something is going on there. In catalyst, it shows it running at 500mhz in idle, and I'll see it jump up to 700 or so while browsing with a lot going on, but I don't think I've ever seen the fan speed go over 20%, so maybe something is going on their? Oh and CPU cooler is an h100

Monitor your temperatures and graphics card usage. MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z will be useful for the latter. Set the fan speed manually to a higher percentage if you suspect the GPU fan to be holding you back.

It seems that there's quite a bit of unhappiness with AMD FX processors and GW2 in general, going from various comments from places like Reddit. MMO games can rely on the CPU quite strongly, so you'd definitely benefit from a better processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom