• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VillageBC

Would having a second monitor decrease my fps in games? How exactly does that work? If I have one game running fullscreen on one monitor, does my mouse go over to the other monitor on windows desktop or something?

I haven't noticed any impact on performance with my dual setup. Which is a 1080p main monitor and a 1280x1024 side one.

If you play fullscreen mode, mouse is locked to the monitor the game is on. If you play fullscreen windowed mode then the mouse will go over to the other screen. Depending on the game, if that region scrolls the map it can force the map to be stuck scrolling until you click it off focus. IE EUIV will scroll until another window gets focus at which point the game minimizes.

There is a performance difference (albiet not all that great) between fullscreen and fullscreen windowed mode.

RGM79

where else should I look for a Complete gaming PC other than Newegg. Looking for a Skylake i5 3.5 ghz, nvidia 960 gtx, and Z170 mobo for around 800$

One alternative is getting a retailer to assemble a custom PC for you. NCIXUS offers assembly services. Add all the parts you want to cart including the assembly option and they'll put together, test, and provide 1 year warranty for $50.

Hi guys, back in here for a quick question: I currently have my system set to IGP instead of my 960 because I was having stuttering issues within my rendering program. That is, trying to draw the frame buffer while attempting to GPU render at the same time was giving my system grief. Changing it to the IGP solved those issues.

However, since Fallout 4 comes out next week, do I need to move my VGA back to the video card or would leaving it on the IGP be okay?

I forgot, did you get a GTX 960 with 2GB VRAM or 4GB VRAM? If you leave it set to the IGP, that means the game isn't going to use your graphics card to render the game and it'll run slow if you set the graphics quality settings higher, or look like crap if you leave the graphics quality low.

Ugh! Why didn't I just buy the Intel i7 6700K when it was available and the price wasn't so damn high. :(

How often are they restocked at retailers?

All my parts came except i need to buy the CPU as all the online retailers were sold out (canada computers says they have 2 in stock close to me) and a case! Should be up by fallout time

RGM79

Ugh! Why didn't I just buy the Intel i7 6700K when it was available and the price wasn't so damn high. :(

How often are they restocked at retailers?

Availability is still dependent on suppliers. Just this week or last week, a few people noted that retail stores still weren't getting more than a slight trickle of i7 6700K processors.

Everyone was downvoting my Asus R9 Fury Strix review on Amazon a couple of months ago because they thought i was an idiot and overheated my GPU yet there is a thread with a lot of users with this issue. The problem occurs with every Fury card from every manufacturer so i wonder if it's an HBM problem.

https://community.amd.com/thread/188642?start=0&tstart=0

Basically don't buy a Fury card if you don't feel like playing the lottery.

Sorry to hear that. I don't mean to gloat, but I guess I'm glad I decided to go with a GTX 980 Ti instead of sticking with AMD.

What are your guys thoughts on this case?
Fractal Design S Window
I need a case this weekend as I plan on building on Saturday and so I prefer it to be at a Canada Compute near me so I can just buy and build.
I care more about it being cool and quiet (to an extent) than the looks.

Availability is still dependent on suppliers. Just this week or last week, a few people noted that retail stores still weren't getting more than a slight trickle of i7 6700K processors.

That really sucks. Well I decided to just order it from B&H even though it was $20 more than it was yesterday. I bundled it with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Cooling Fan and saved a couple bucks. And shipping was free. I figure eventually when I have all the parts it'll all even out.

gamma

Oops, that's me mistaking a part I recommended for what you went with. I'm still tired after running to work this morning late. Yeah, no problems here then.

We ended up ordering this:

Everything good? Would it have been worth it to go for DDR4-2400 for a few € more?

Quotient

I posted my build here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184287251&postcount=5525

It is a Node 304 build. I am looking at PSUs. The Silverstone Strider Gold 650 and Coolmaster V650 are 140mm in length which is a perfect fit for the 304. The Silverstone is fully modular, while the Coolmaster is semi-modular. Their is also a $30 price difference between the two with the coolmaster the cheaper option. I am leaning towards the Silverstone due to full-modular, but I'm unsure of the quality of either PSU. Any advice?

Silverstone strider gold 650: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=581&area=en
Coolmaster V650: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/modular-vs-series/v650s/

Aomber

So I'm in the market for a new monitor and graphics card – gonna be getting the monitor first and the GPU probably around the end of the year, so I have a couple questions.

First of all, I'm leaning towards going for the 144hz/TN route but would anyone say go slower/IPS instead? I'm currently using an ASUS VS248 from 2011 and it's a TN panel but it actually looks pretty good – no not the best I've ever seen but I don't really have an issue with it. I think I'd be completely fine with another TN if it means getting better speeds, but I'm curious to see if someone will sway me otherwise.

Second of all, since I'm buying a new graphics card soon, what do you guys think of G-Sync vs. Freesync? I'm leaning towards Freesync because the consensus I'm getting is that the difference is negligible. The price difference between a freesync monitor and a g-sync one is around $150, which to me seems really steep considering I could theoretically buy a second IPS monitor for that kinda money if I really wanted. But yeah, just wanted to see if I was missing anything here that would make G-Sync worth the extra $150.

The monitor I'm currently looking at is the AOC G2460PF. 144hz, 1ms, Freesync (range is 30 - 160hz), 1080p 24"

So I completed my first PC build tonight, after a visit to Micro Center in Madison Heights, MI for everything I didn't already have lying around the apartment. I was able to get them to price match New Egg on everything I needed, and my prcoessor was $50 less there.

Here's what I ended up with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CzYkNG

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM \ (64-bit)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Keyboard: AZIO PRISM Wired Slim Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse

I currently have the PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI, as I don't really see a need for a monitor right now.

How did I do, GAF?

Props to RGM79 for steering me in the right direction with this build. Now I just need some sweet games to play.

RGM79

I posted my build here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184287251&postcount=5525

It is a Node 304 build. I am looking at PSUs. The Silverstone Strider Gold 650 and Coolmaster V650 are 140mm in length which is a perfect fit for the 304. The Silverstone is fully modular, while the Coolmaster is semi-modular. Their is also a $30 price difference between the two with the coolmaster the cheaper option. I am leaning towards the Silverstone due to full-modular, but I'm unsure of the quality of either PSU. Any advice?

Silverstone strider gold 650: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=581&area=en
Coolmaster V650: http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/modular-vs-series/v650s/
The Silverstone comes with flat cables which are a nice thing to have in a small case, that'll help with cable management. This Jonny Guru review found it somewhat disappointing but still decent. The Cooler Master model on the other hand doesn't have as many reviews, but the bigger brother V750 was found to be very high quality in its Jonny Guru review.

RGM79

So I completed my first PC build tonight, after a visit to Micro Center in Madison Heights, MI for everything I didn't already have lying around the apartment. I was able to get them to price match New Egg on everything I needed, and my prcoessor was $50 less there.

Here's what I ended up with:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CzYkNG

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM \ (64-bit)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Keyboard: AZIO PRISM Wired Slim Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse

I currently have the PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI, as I don't really see a need for a monitor right now.

How did I do, GAF?

Props to RGM79 for steering me in the right direction with this build. Now I just need some sweet games to play.

Good call, I didn't realize the Xeon E3 1231V3 was cheaper at Microcenter. You could have saved more money with a lower end H81 or B85 motherboard, but the MSI Z97 model is alright if you didn't mind the price.

LilJoka

The Silverstone comes with flat cables which are a nice thing to have in a small case, that'll help with cable management. This Jonny Guru review found it somewhat disappointing but still decent. The Cooler Master model on the other hand doesn't have as many reviews, but the bigger brother V750 was found to be very high quality in its Jonny Guru review.

I know the cm is a popular choice for this case at overclock.net, so it's a good performer.

Personally I find flat cables harder to manage in the node due to the way you need to cable tie everything to thin supports. The flat cables can be quite wide and then look a bit worse.

Seasonic G650 is an alternative.

Quotient

I'll have a read of the reviews. Thanks.

I know the cm is a popular choice for this case at overclock.net, so it's a good performer.

Personally I find flat cables harder to manage in the node due to the way you need to cable tie everything to thin supports. The flat cables can be quite wide and then look a bit worse.

Seasonic G650 is an alternative.

Is the seasonic this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

It is listed at 160mm in length and modular. I plan on having a MSI GTX 970 in there, does the G650 fit in a Node 304?

Good call, I didn't realize the Xeon E3 1231V3 was cheaper at Microcenter. You could have saved more money with a lower end H81 or B85 motherboard, but the MSI Z97 model is alright if you didn't mind the price.

Thanks dude, I couldn't have done it without you.

They didn't have the ASUS board you had recommended, and pushed me towards some cheap ASRock board instead. Not recognizing the brand, I decided to splurge a bit on the MSI Krait. I figured it will ultimately last me longer, and really liked the look of it - nice all black/white board

Any advice for some games to test these new specs out with?

I'm a big Nintendo/RPG guy who is hooked on Warframe and Dark Souls atm. I'm willing to try anything though, just want to see what this machine is capable of gaming-wise.

LilJoka

I'll have a read of the reviews. Thanks.

Is the seasonic this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118

It is listed at 160mm in length and modular. I plan on having a MSI GTX 970 in there, does the G650 fit in a Node 304?

This would be the one
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=17-151-137

It should be modular but I think the image is misleading.

Also just so you are aware, the PSU bracket can actually be removed allowing the PSU to sit about 20mm further back. Just need to unscrew 2 screws from below the case. If you do end up needing room (you shouldn't though) you can do that and just Velcro the PSU to the case from the bottom.

This is how I have an old Seasonic M12II 620 installed in my node 304 which is 160mm and an MSI GAMER GTX 970.

Edit
Think you did have the right link, reason why it still fits is due to the cable connector locations, they are very low:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDReviews/images/SeasonicG650/DSC_5443.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1434580/node-304-with-maximus-vi-impact-build-minilith

RGM79

Thanks dude, I couldn't have done it without you.

They didn't have the ASUS board you had recommended, and pushed me towards some cheap ASRock board instead. Not recognizing the brand, I decided to splurge a bit on the MSI Krait. I figured it will ultimately last me longer, and really liked the look of it - nice all black/white board

Any advice for some games to test these new specs out with?

I'm a big Nintendo/RPG guy who is hooked on Warframe and Dark Souls atm. I'm willing to try anything though, just want to see what this machine is capable of gaming-wise.

I haven't actually been playing a lot of different games this year. Witcher 3? GTAV? Those are fairly intensive games.

I haven't actually been playing a lot of different games this year. Witcher 3? GTAV? Those are fairly intensive games.

I initially started this build to play some Witcher 3.

It's a bit of a toss up between W3 and Fallout 4 for me now, seeing as I already dropped so much cash on this build. Just excited to have my Wii U no longer be my most powerful platform lol.

mike23

Hey guys, I'm looking for some final comments on my build before I pull the trigger. I've already purchased the CPU from Micro Center and I'll probably make all of the online purchases tonight.
With respect to the memory, I'm fully aware that the general consensus is that 64GB is overkill, but I want it. Not really set on this memory in particular though.
I went up to a 1000w PS instead of a 850w to make it less of a hassle if I want to drop in a second 980ti in the future. I'm not sure if it is worth the extra bit of money for the bigger PS though.

The CPU cooler I'm not sure about. I like the water cooling option because it's smaller over the CPU and does a decent job cooling. I'm not sure if I should just go with an air cooling option like the CRYORIG R1 Ultimate. Especially since I switched to a case that doesn't have a window.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($537.48 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ B&H)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($233.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($347.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card ($729.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($145.19 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $2727.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-31 20:22 EDT-0400

Built my PC today. Everything went smoothly, but it doesn't seem to be accepting the XMP profile. When I enable it, the PC won't boot.

Are there any troubleshooting steps or things I can do that might make it work? I haven't tried starting with just a single stick and enabling XMP. Is it possible it is just a single stick causing issues or am I just out of luck?

So I built a PC in January of this year. All new parts. Today I was playing on it and noticed my room started having a strong chemical type smell. While trying to find the source in the room my PC shut down completely. I opened the case and noticed the PSU (Corsair CX750M) was really hot and smelling the back of the case the smell seemed to be coming from where the PSU is. I managed to boot the PC back up with the case opened to keep an eye on things and noticed that the PSU heated up almost instantly and the smell came back stronger. Also heard the PSU making tons of noise. So I tipped the case on its side to make sure the smell was from the PSU (99% sure it is). The other odd thing is when it was on the side the PSU temp dropped dramatically and the noise stopped. I'm guessing that the air flow is easier on it with the huge open side, but I was amazed how quickly it "fixed" things. I have already put in a request to replace it through the manufacturer warranty. Is this a common thing for PSUs? Did I choose a bad one to get? Am I just unlucky? Is something else going on here? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

RGM79

Built my PC today. Everything went smoothly, but it doesn't seem to be accepting the XMP profile. When I enable it, the PC won't boot.

Are there any troubleshooting steps or things I can do that might make it work? I haven't tried starting with just a single stick and enabling XMP. Is it possible it is just a single stick causing issues or am I just out of luck?

Reseat the RAM? Try a BIOS update? I needed to do an update to enable XMP and have it working properly on a Z87 system I worked on before.

So I built a PC in January of this year. All new parts. Today I was playing on it and noticed my room started having a strong chemical type smell. While trying to find the source in the room my PC shut down completely. I opened the case and noticed the PSU (Corsair CX750M) was really hot and smelling the back of the case the smell seemed to be coming from where the PSU is. I managed to boot the PC back up with the case opened to keep an eye on things and noticed that the PSU heated up almost instantly and the smell came back stronger. Also heard the PSU making tons of noise. So I tipped the case on its side to make sure the smell was from the PSU (99% sure it is). The other odd thing is when it was on the side the PSU temp dropped dramatically and the noise stopped. I'm guessing that the air flow is easier on it with the huge open side, but I was amazed how quickly it "fixed" things. I have already put in a request to replace it through the manufacturer warranty. Is this a common thing for PSUs? Did I choose a bad one to get? Am I just unlucky? Is something else going on here? Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Sounds like an issue with the PSU fan. Corsair CX line in general isn't that great as they are only rated to operate at 30 degrees C when most power supplies from other manufacturers can handle 40~50 degrees C. In other words, they don't like heat. Not sure about the smell, could be burning wires.

That said, your issue doesn't seem to be very common, and I'd say it's just a defect.

JMTHEFOX

So, after being pleased with how my first build went and with SteamOS around the corner, I want to build a Steam Machine of my own. The reason for this is that I felt it is a good fit for the TV that is hanging on the wall in my mom's room.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($19.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $570.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 03:08 EST-0500

Any feedback and opinions are strongly welcome as always.

As many as you want?

I know, I just meant (and I know I worded it beyond badly :p) how many fans would people really reccomend? Obvs I don't want overkill but with an OCd CPU (although it'd have a H100i, most likely. if not then a H80 etc) I don't know what'd be best, and the room temps are...about average I'd say. It gets cold/warm as you'd expect but if the PC is on a window is almost always open.

It comes with 2 pre-installed. Back and front. You can put a bunch more in if you want.

Thank you.

I know these might seem like dumb questions but I guess just with this being the first time of getting a new PC since I started getting interested in what goes into it etc I figured I'd ask. Esp somewhere where I can be a bit more specific.

Water

Will they eventually make G-Sync or Free-Sync monitors that are 36+ inches?

It's curious that G-Sync isn't available for a single large TV. I understand that Nvidia doesn't want to try to replicate the zillion features TV circuitry has - but surely they could build a setup where the G-Sync scaler would handle G-Sync and other PC-type signals, and hand off the rest to a near-standard HDTV scaler. In their shoes I'd try to get that kind of pilot project done even if there was no way of making a profit on it initially.

It's curious that G-Sync isn't available for a single large TV. I understand that Nvidia doesn't want to try to replicate the zillion features TV circuitry has - but surely they could build a setup where the G-Sync scaler would handle G-Sync and other PC-type signals, and hand off the rest to a near-standard HDTV scaler. In their shoes I'd try to get that kind of pilot project done even if there was no way of making a profit on it initially.

Honestly, I think you're more likely to get a freesync TV if it gets added to the HDMI standard.

creid

I have 2 semi-related questions. I want to get a UPS for my PC, I've heard it needs to be pure sine wave, but I'm not sure what specs the UPS needs to have. If my PC power supply is 850W, does that mean my UPS needs to be 850W or higher? If not, how do I figure out what I need?

Secondly, I want to get a new video card, (I'm thinking of going from GTX 560 Ti -> GTX 950 or 960) but I'm not sure how to figure out whether my power supply can handle it. I've looked up a few "power supply calculators" online, but none of them have all of my hardware in their options.

My current specs:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core 6MB 95W CPU
2 x Kingston DDR3-1333 4GB
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Twin Frozr II
Asus Xonar DS PCI Sound Card
Western Digital Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA (Black)
Antec P183 V3 (Gunmetal Finish, Window) Case
Seasonic X-850KM3 850W Power Supply
Corsair Hydro Series H60 CPU Cooler (Rev. 2) CPU Cooling
Custom 120mm Windowed Side Panel Fan

edit: forgot to add in the SSD I bought recently

Rodin

I'm selling my Strix for a good price to a friend who can't afford to buy a new one and i'm currently considering the MSI 970 or the 970 G1. They are the same price on Amazon and both come with Assassin's Creed Syndicate, from what i've heard the MSI is quieter and the Gigabyte performs slightly better. Compared to my Asus both are slightly faster, which shouldn't be noticeable, but my main problem with the Strix is the annoying loud noise it produces when the fans kick in. Now the G1 produces a similar amount of noise, but i find it a bit quieter and the sound of it less annoying, while the MSI is way quieter than both. G1 is also slightly faster (it's pretty similar to a stock 980 iirc) and comes with a backplate, while the MSI doesn't have one. So basically

G1

+ fastest card of the bunch
+ Comes with a backplate
+ Better OC capabilities

- Louder than the MSI
- Seems to have throttling issues, at least when overclocked
- Longest card of the bunch (not really a problem in my Fractal R4)

MSI

+ Quieter than the G1
+ Smallest of the bunch
+ Amazing looking card (but who cares, it's in a case)

- Slightly slower than the G1
- Doesn't have a backplate

Price is not a factor because, like i said, they're exactly the same price. Which one do i buy gaf?

EDIT: They dropped the price for the EVGA 970 SSC ACX 2.0+, now it's the same as the other two. Is this better? Step-up possibility and better customer service would be nice.
Anyone?

I have 2 semi-related questions. I want to get a UPS for my PC, I've heard it needs to be pure sine wave, but I'm not sure what specs the UPS needs to have. If my PC power supply is 850W, does that mean my UPS needs to be 850W or higher? If not, how do I figure out what I need?

Secondly, I want to get a new video card, (I'm thinking of going from GTX 560 Ti -> GTX 950 or 960) but I'm not sure how to figure out whether my power supply can handle it. I've looked up a few "power supply calculators" online, but none of them have all of my hardware in their options.

With 850W you can buy any GPU you want and you won't even get close to its limit, let alone with a 960 that draws a mere 120W at max. About the UPS i don't really know how it works as i never bought one, but i think it depends more on the power draw of you PC than the max output capability of your PSU.

Anyone?

With 850W you can buy any GPU you want and you won't even get close to its limit, let alone with a 960 that draws a mere 120W at max. About the UPS i don't really know how it works as i never bought one, but i think it depends more on the power draw of you PC than the max output capability of your PSU.
If you found your strix was annoying in terms of noise, then I would go for the quietest of the two, i.e. the MSI.

Rodin

If you found your strix was annoying in terms of noise, then I would go for the quietest of the two, i.e. the MSI.

What about the EVGA SSC 2.0+? Same price as the other two, better customer service, step up possibility. How is the cooler compared to MSI/Gigabyte?

LilJoka

What about the EVGA SSC 2.0+? Same price as the other two, better customer service, step up possibility. How is the cooler compared to MSI/Gigabyte?

EVGAs don't OC as well afaik.
MSI or G1 is what I would buy purely for overclock since you can match a 980.

Jharp

Can I get any tips on a (relatively) easy upgrade?

GTX 670 w/ 2GB of RAM
i5 at 3.4 (3.8 turbo)
8GB DDR3
ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel

I figure it's between the video card or processor, just not sure which. I want more VRAM, but I'm afraid the processor will act as a bottleneck. I suppose I could upgrade both,which is a fine idea, but what do you guys suggest? Trying to keep it around 500 max, if that's realistic.

MisterNoisy

GTX 670 w/ 2GB of RAM
i5 at 3.4 (3.8 turbo)
8GB DDR3

I figure it's between the video card or processor, just not sure which. I want more VRAM, but I'm afraid the processor will act as a bottleneck. I suppose I could upgrade both,which is a fine idea, but what do you guys suggest? Trying to keep it around 500 max, if that's realistic.

If it were me, I'd get an upper midrange card (970/R9 390)for now and save the rest of the budget to do a full rebuild with that card in it later.

ISee

GTX 670 w/ 2GB of RAM
i5 at 3.4 (3.8 turbo)
8GB DDR3

I had a very similar setup. From your mainboard I am guessing you are on the i5 3570 (k?). Most easy way to upgrade for you is to get a nice CPU cooler (something like the scythe mugen) and to overclock your CPU to around 4.2 ghz. Your CPU should easily handle the OC with the better cooling provided. (My i5 3570k runs at around 55°C with 4.2 ghz during very heavy 15-20 minute testing, and the i5 3570k in general is great for overclocking!). This should cost you around 30-45 minutes of work and maybe 35-45 bucks.

The next thing is you GPU. I'd recommend a r9 390 or a gtx 970 (I'd personaly go with the 970 but...). This will make your system significantly better, even without OCing your CPU.

Next thing: Ram. DDR3 Ram is very cheap atm. 16gb of Ram go from 80-110 bucks. Not the world.

If you OC your CPU, install better cooling, upgrade your RAM (maybe not necessary) and get a new GPU you should be fine for another 12 months (at least, probably more).

Rodin

GTX 670 w/ 2GB of RAM
i5 at 3.4 (3.8 turbo)
8GB DDR3

Just buy an MSI 970 or a Sapphire 390 Nitro and you're good. The cpu won't be a bottleneck.

RGM79

So, after being pleased with how my first build went and with SteamOS around the corner, I want to build a Steam Machine of my own. The reason for this is that I felt it is a good fit for the TV that is hanging on the wall in my mom's room.

Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0 Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Silverstone 450W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $570.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 03:08 EST-0500

Any feedback and opinions are strongly welcome as always.

Here's my version of your build:

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $577.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-06 09:47 EST-0500
  • The ASRock H81M-ITX has better reviews and a more conventional layout than the MSI motherboard.
  • The set of 1x8GB RAM is slightly cheaper and leaves you room to add additional RAM if needed, making it more flexible than 2x4GB.
  • $160 for the GTX 950 2GB model is quite overpriced, considering that it's possible to get a 4GB model of the GTX 960 or R9 380 for $20~30 more which are stronger and won't be as bottlenecked in the future.
Overall, this build costs only $7 more for the stronger graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom