• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmm odd I kinda need help with this

seems my computer shuts down for someone when playing heavy intensive games (skyrim supeeeerr modded and witcher 3)

so i just built this pc 4 months ago and loving it so far

and i think this problem all started when i booted my super modded skyrim and just a few minutes later my pc just shuts down but the lights on my mobo are still on and everything but the fans are not moving anymore. the error shows D0 and i thought it'd be 00 but 00 error code does not exist for the msi mobo.

i tried running benchmarks and played some other games like dota 2 and new vegas that is modded and it seems they work and no shutdowns

it doesn't even show any error

so my rig specs are here

i7 5820k
msi gtx 980ti gaming 6g
16gb ddr4 ram 3000mhz
kraken x61
my case is a 780t
my psu is an evga 850g supernova

probably faulty psu now?

just reading forums that if it shuts down for no apparent reason with no errors and stuff it's mostly gpu or psu related
pretty sure this is psu it seems like

i'm too scared to boot up those games again fearing i might end up frying not only my psu but some parts also

i just might say "fuck it" and buy a evga 850g2 psu again this week but i don't even know if it's really the psu and not the gpu

edit2
anyone know if i could use only the powersupply from the g2 and use the cables that i have for my supernova 850g version of my psu? they're pretty much the same manufacturer anyway

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Can anyone identify what this GPU is based on this picture? The person who owns is isn't very tech savey and had someone build their PC. They claim it's a 970 but I can't find any blower style 970 that looks like that installed. Even most blower style cards I've seen have some sort of branding on the side that shows. Wish I had more pics or info to go off but this is all I got. I'm the process of getting them to run GPU-Z. Just trying to make sure they didn't get ripped off.

gpu_zps5cyvdje2.jpg

I can't tell.
from that angle.

Have them use GPU-Z or Speccy

LilJoka

Hey guy I wanna build my first PC. I'm trying to spend at least around 1,200 USD. I am kinda new at this but any opinion will be helpful! So this is my ideal build at the moment. I already got the CPU Intel I-5 4690K

CPU :Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cpu Cooler: Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI H97 GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Storage:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 GB SSD Kingston

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Case : NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor or the BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor

Total comes up: $1204.80 USD
Power Watt Estimated: 351W

Source: Pcpartpicker

One of my friend been telling me the best time to buy parts is black friday and cyber monday for deals. Confirmed?

Should go with Z97 board unless you are sure you won't overclock, which would be a bit short sighted imo.

Swap the Kingston SSD for Crucial or Samsung.

Probably should go for mATX and same with the case.

Quotient

All DDR4 RAM rated for speeds above 2133MHz is technically overclocked to run at that speed. By default when you install that RAM, it will run at the default speed of 2133MHz. It's very easy to set it to run at the higher rated speed, though. Just go into your BIOS and look for an option called XMP profile or something like that, and then set it enabled or on "profile 1" or similar. Then the RAM will run at the faster speed.

RAM speed doesn't seem to figure much into games and won't make a huge difference for day-to-day use, but $130 seems ok. There is some 2800 and 3000MHz RAM for closer to $110, though.

Thanks for the information.

Which PC parts are typically on black-Friday/cyber-Monday sales? I plan on buying everything except the monitor.

longdi

Banned
Another reason to buy Skylake, update Windows 10 and say bye bye to Haswell. :D

PState_575px.jpg

78219.png

Intel is calling this technology 'Speed Shift'. We’ve discussed Speed Shift before in Ian’s Skylake architecture analysis, but despite the in-depth talk from Intel, Speed Shift was noticably absent at the time of the launch of the processors. This is due to one of the requirements for Speed Shift - it requires operating system support to be able to hand over control of the processor performance to the CPU, and Intel had to work with Microsoft in order to get this functionality enabled in Windows 10. As of right now, anyone with a Skylake processor is actually not getting the benefit of the technology, at least right now. A patch will be rolled out in November for Windows 10 which will enable this functionality, but it is worth noting that it will take a while for it to roll out to new Windows 10 purchases.

Compared to Speed Step / P-state transitions, Intel's new Speed Shift terminology, changes the game by having the operating system relinquish some or all control of the P-States, and handing that control off to the processor. This has a couple of noticable benefits. First, it is much faster for the processor to control the ramp up and down in frequency, compared to OS control. Second, the processor has much finer control over its states, allowing it to choose the most optimum performance level for a given task, and therefore using less energy as a result.

The ability to quickly ramp up performance is done to increase overall responsiveness of the system, rather than linger at lower frequencies waiting for OS to pass commands through a translation layer. Speed Shift cannot increase absolute maximum performance, but on short workloads that require a brief burst of performance, it can make a big difference in how quickly that task gets done. Ultimately, much of what we do falls more into this category, such as web browsing or office work. As an example, web browsing is all about getting the page loaded quickly, and then getting the processor back down to idle.

With Skylake, while there was not the large leap in clock for clock performance gain that we have become accustomed to with new Intel microarchitectures, but when you look at the overall package, there was a decent net gain in performance combined with new technologies. For example, being able to maintain higher Turbo frequencies on multiple cores has increased the stock to stock performance more than the smaller IPC gains.

Speed Shift is just one small part of the overall performance gain, and one that we have not been able to look at until now. It does lead to some pretty big gains in task completion, if the workloads are bursty and short enough for it to make a difference

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

I have the option of trading my GTX 970 plus the price difference for a GTX 980 Ti for my newly built PC, should I?

Is it a big improvement / worth paying double for?

Depends on if you need more performance or not. I think on average it's about 50% faster for 100% more cost (roughly). I leaned toward no but it depends.. if you're running 4k or 1440p/144Hz you don't have much of a choice (unless you run older games). If you're at 1080p/60 I would personally stick with the 970. YMMV.

paskowitz

So I'm trying to put one of the included case fans from the fractal define R5 onto the bottom, but all of the included screws are too small and go right through the holes on the bottom of the case. Any suggestions?

Edit: my Noctua fan came with some I can use.

Thin adhesive velcro. It is actual better than screws because if you need to you can quickly and easily remove the fan without need to flip your case or break out a screw driver.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9751/examining-intel-skylake-speed-shift-more-responsive-processors

I can't wait to go to the top of the web browsing benchmarking leaderboards

Durante

Well, if you use a laptop or other kind of low-power device maybe.

With a OC'd desktop gaming PC, you run at maximum frequency throughout when there's any type of load anyway.

paskowitz

There is a 5-pin port on my 980ti next to the power connectors. Ignore it or what? It's not sli btw

EVBOT port. Allows for advanced monitoring and control of your GPU

The port to the left of the BIOS switch is the EVGA Probe-It connector. That combined with a digital multimeter will let your monitor your card's voltage on a hardware level (software is often inaccurate). This doesn't really matter though since voltage isn't really a factor with Maxwell.

The manual does suck. The most comprehensive collection of info on the Classified cards is here.

Hey guys, helping another friend build a PC. Here's his part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $611.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 12:16 EST-0500

He plans on heading to microcenter today so he can always price match some stuff. He originally had an i3 and a 970, but i figured the i3 would bottleneck him in more modern games, especially with a great card like a 970. Any thoughts on the build are really appreciated!

He will mainly be playing at 1080p/60fps, but he is okay with 30 fps if he must. He wants to play the witcher 3 at 1080p from "30-60fps I know that's a big range"

I took a guess based on what my 660 was able to do and told him the 280x would probably get around 45 fps in TW3, which he said was fine.

RGM79

Hey guy I wanna build my first PC. I'm trying to spend at least around 1,200 USD. I am kinda new at this but any opinion will be helpful! So this is my ideal build at the moment. I already got the CPU Intel I-5 4690K

CPU :Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cpu Cooler: Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI H97 GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Storage:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
120 GB SSD Kingston

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

Case : NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor or the BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor

Total comes up: $1204.80 USD
Power Watt Estimated: 351W

Source: Pcpartpicker

One of my friend been telling me the best time to buy parts is black friday and cyber monday for deals. Confirmed?

Here's my version of your build that I'd recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($224.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Avexir Blitz1.1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($296.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1203.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 12:33 EST-0500

The H97 motherboard has been swapped out for a Z97 model that is better suited for the i5 4690K, being able to overclock. For the same price as your parts list, I was able to fit in a larger SSD and power supply that are just as good as the ones you were looking at in terms of quality.

Hmmmm odd I kinda need help with this

seems my computer shuts down for someone when playing heavy intensive games (skyrim supeeeerr modded and witcher 3)

so i just built this pc 4 months ago and loving it so far

and i think this problem all started when i booted my super modded skyrim and just a few minutes later my pc just shuts down but the lights on my mobo are still on and everything but the fans are not moving anymore. the error shows D0 and i thought it'd be 00 but 00 error code does not exist for the msi mobo.

i tried running benchmarks and played some other games like dota 2 and new vegas that is modded and it seems they work and no shutdowns

it doesn't even show any error

so my rig specs are here

i7 5820k
msi gtx 980ti gaming 6g
16gb ddr4 ram 3000mhz
kraken x61
my case is a 780t
my psu is an evga 850g supernova

probably faulty psu now?

just reading forums that if it shuts down for no apparent reason with no errors and stuff it's mostly gpu or psu related
pretty sure this is psu it seems like

i'm too scared to boot up those games again fearing i might end up frying not only my psu but some parts also

i just might say "fuck it" and buy a evga 850g2 psu again this week but i don't even know if it's really the psu and not the gpu

edit2
anyone know if i could use only the powersupply from the g2 and use the cables that i have for my supernova 850g version of my psu? they're pretty much the same manufacturer anyway

What motherboard do you have? Where is the error code coming from? I don't quite understand your power supply question, you have an "850g" power supply (I'm not sure what model that is? 850 G2?) and you want to use modular cables from it for the G2 model? Are you saying you just want to swap the PSU but not bother with undoing all the cables, you just want to keep the cables where they are? Then yes, that should be doable.

Thanks for the information.

Which PC parts are typically on black-Friday/cyber-Monday sales? I plan on buying everything except the monitor.

No idea, I don't follow US sales as I'm not American. I imagine retailers would put most stuff on sale.

Skii

Yes you will be without internet but this a test, you can install the driver back afterwards, just download a copy first. Run LatencyMon after uninstalling and see if it helped. Then install the driver back and let us know the result.

Really sorry for the late reply but had many assignments due this week so I didn't have any time to game or to fiddle with my PC.

Anyway, I disabled the WLAN drivers because I don't see the point of uninstalling them as I already knew that they aren't the problem. The sound crackling still occurs. I don't know if I mentioned this before but it takes about 30 seconds to maybe a minute before it actually kicks in as I play The Witcher 3. Also I don't think I mentioned that from what I can tell, the crackling doesn't occur at all when using my monitor's speakers.

Anyway, here's the new report:

CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:05:25 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: DESKTOP-OA7C0PN
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170-A
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16293 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 3504 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 774.720556
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1.646926

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 773.551607
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.536266

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 3071.795091
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.264294
Driver with highest ISR total time: storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.530145

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 478959
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 193
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 11
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1340.447489
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 355.82 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.092938
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.260505

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 1655358
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 11
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 5
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: galaxycommunication.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 3846
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 2625
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 360028.611301
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.128998
Number of processes hit: 18

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 12.191690
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3071.795091
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 6.893528
CPU 0 ISR count: 474314
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1340.447489
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 3.034443
CPU 0 DPC count: 1543729
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.073907
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3.180936
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.006623
CPU 1 ISR count: 4842
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 139.817922
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.152428
CPU 1 DPC count: 37796
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0.991474
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.787671
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.000003
CPU 2 ISR count: 7
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 103.657534
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.084483
CPU 2 DPC count: 34516
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.030793
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 142.289954
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.119269
CPU 3 DPC count: 39333

RGM79

Hey guys, helping another friend build a PC. Here's his part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cFLF6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $611.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 12:16 EST-0500

He plans on heading to microcenter today so he can always price match some stuff. He originally had an i3 and a 970, but i figured the i3 would bottleneck him in more modern games, especially with a great card like a 970. Any thoughts on the build are really appreciated!

He will mainly be playing at 1080p/60fps, but he is okay with 30 fps if he must. He wants to play the witcher 3 at 1080p from "30-60fps I know that's a big range"

I took a guess based on what my 660 was able to do and told him the 280x would probably get around 45 fps in TW3, which he said was fine.

Here's a revised build that costs $80 less but doesn't sacrifice performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $529.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-07 12:52 EST-0500

The R9 280X while still nice, is getting old. I'd recommend the newer R9 380 4GB if possible, as it'll have better driver support in the future as well as newer features like VSR. With the money saved, your friend could pocket it or opt for an SSD like the Crucial BX100 250GB.

RGM79

isn't 1 stick of RAM generally less efficient than dual channel? thank you for the response!

Not really. You'd never notice the difference and you wouldn't be able to measure it unless you ran memory bandwidth benchmarks. Few to no games rely on RAM speed, anyway.

Gamersnexus RAM benchmarking
Reddit user's own gaming performance tests

To clarify, the reason I recommend 1x8GB here is because the motherboard has only two RAM slots. If it had four slots then it'd be easy to recommend dual channel, but having room to add more RAM in the future makes more sense than a +5% speed improvement only in certain applications that your friend wouldn't care about or notice.

I have the option of trading my GTX 970 plus the price difference for a GTX 980 Ti for my newly built PC, should I?

Is it a big improvement / worth paying double for?

Hell yes.6GB vs 3.5+.5 GB on the 970 and a 15% power jump. Beats the pants off my GTX 970 SLI setup in certain games, that's for sure. If it's a 200-300 difference, I'd say do it.

LilJoka

Really sorry for the late reply but had many assignments due this week so I didn't have any time to game or to fiddle with my PC.

Anyway, I disabled the WLAN drivers because I don't see the point of uninstalling them as I already knew that they aren't the problem. The sound crackling still occurs. I don't know if I mentioned this before but it takes about 30 seconds to maybe a minute before it actually kicks in as I play The Witcher 3. Also I don't think I mentioned that from what I can tell, the crackling doesn't occur at all when using my monitor's speakers.

Anyway, here's the new report:

Need more data:
Screenshot the entire add and remove programs list
Screenshot the entire running processes (details view) in task manager
Screenshot the startup tab in task manager

What motherboard do you have? Where is the error code coming from? I don't quite understand your power supply question, you have an "850g" power supply (I'm not sure what model that is? 850 G2?) and you want to use modular cables from it for the G2 model? Are you saying you just want to swap the PSU but not bother with undoing all the cables, you just want to keep the cables where they are? Then yes, that should be doable.

I have an msi x99s gaming 7 mobo

the error code is showing on the mobo D0
so basically when the problem occurs, my monitor just shuts off and i see my mobo still on being red showing the error code, fans are off and everything

tried benchmarking through heaven, firestrike and and played other games but doesn't show any signs of shutting off.

It only specifically turns off when i play witcher 3 for about 30 minutes or so
and it all started when i played my fully modded skyrim

thanks for the cable question !

edit: oops meant to say gaming 7

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Are skylakes rare or something? The 6600K is sold out everywhere in netherlands, or you can get it for 40 euros extra. wtf

Did I just build my own fucking computer????

What a thrill. This is something I've always wanted to do. Can't believe it passed POST haha

Everything look good to you guys? I just enabled XMP, rebooted and installing Windows now.

What a thrill. This is something I've always wanted to do. Can't believe it passed POST haha

Everything look good to you guys? I just enabled XMP, rebooted and installing Windows now.

gratz man ! :D

edit 2:

regarding my pc issue on my end

tried putting my vga cable to the vga 2 port instead of vga 1 on my power supply just to test it out

been playin gta v for a while now, max out settings and it didn't even shut down o_O.....this is weird

RGM79

edit 2:

tried putting my vga cable to the vga 2 port instead of vga 1 on my power supply just to test it out

been playin gta v for a while now, max out settings and it didn't even shut down o_O.....this is weird
Most likely explanation is that rather than something being defective, the way the power cables were plugged in it was drawing too much power from one of the 12V rail. Plugging in your graphics card to the second VGA power connector balanced the load, maybe.

Edit: looking at the 850 G2's specs, it doesn't seem likely. Try Skyrim again and see if it still has that problem.

Most likely explanation is that rather than something being defective, the way the power cables were plugged in it was drawing too much power from one of the 12V rail. Plugging in your graphics card to the second VGA power connector balanced the load, maybe.
Hopefully it did . I might try to run witcher 3 later on on the background again ... I might rma it if it does it again or just get the g2 version instead

LilJoka

edit 2:

Which PSU?

RGM79

Hopefully it did . I might try to run witcher 3 later on on the background again ... I might rma it if it does it again or just get the g2 version instead
Sorry, I updated my post before I realized you already replied.

I don't understand, there is no such model as the 850g, can you check what model you have? It may not be compatible with the 850 G2 cables.

So I just got back from the store and I bought this case.

Fractal Design S
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbkw

and it turns out it doesnt have room for an optical bay! I mean I dont use CDs aside from installing windows as I have a windows 10 CD. Anyway to install the optical bay to install windows (I guess with the case open?) and then disconnecting the optical bay for ever.

OR. Can I take my new SSD, attach it to my old desktop, install windows on it and then plug it into my new desktop?

So I just got back from the store and I bought this case.

Fractal Design S
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbkw

and it turns out it doesnt have room for an optical bay! I mean I dont use CDs aside from installing windows as I have a windows 10 CD. Anyway to install the optical bay to install windows (I guess with the case open?) and then disconnecting the optical bay for ever.

OR. Can I take my new SSD, attach it to my old desktop, install windows on it and then plug it into my new desktop?

You need the new motherboard, I believe keys are embedded to the BIOS. Go for your option one.

Oh jeez guys, help. I think my motherboard's dead, but I'm not experienced enough to confirm.

I tried to put new RAM in and now it won't boot. Old RAM won't work either. Power comes on, fans spin, lights come on, but nothing happens. No boot screen, no beeps.

Specs:

Case: Azza Solano
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 4GB
CPU: i5 2500k 4.5ghz
RAM: New RAM: 32gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistic / Old RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drives: 1TB HDD, 512 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair 750w

I've tried swapping out parts, tried draining the capacitor, tried unplugging everything but the power cable and monitor, then just the power cable. Nothing. Halp. D:

RGM79

Oh here it is
It's actually 850gs from the looks of it my bad ...
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=17-438-034
Looking at the ports, they appear to be the same. Looks like the cables should be compatible between the G2 and your GS.

850 G2
850 GS

So my only option is #1. Plugging an optical bay in just to install windows and then disconnecting forever. I havent opened the case so I guess I could return it. Windows is unreturnable so I cannot exchange for USB windows 10.
As long as you have the Windows 10 product key, you can make a Windows 10 USB installer yourself. Follow this guide and scroll down to "Download Windows 10 and Create Installation Media".

Skii

Need more data:
Screenshot the entire add and remove programs list
Screenshot the entire running processes (details view) in task manager
Screenshot the startup tab in task manager

by "detailed view", is expanding all the processes what you mean?

RGM79

Awesome Thank you both so much for your input!

Gonna swap out the motherboard.

Just another Question is there a difference between MSI and the asus for the video card?

I put the kingston 120 GB ssd there because it was my brother leftover drive when he built his pc just recently. I think I am only going to use it for the OS. Should I swap it out or just keep it?
The MSI model is slightly faster out of the box but costs more. If you don't mind reading up a bit, you can overclock the Asus model to match or exceed that speed.

Oh jeez guys, help. I think my motherboard's dead, but I'm not experienced enough to confirm.

I tried to put new RAM in and now it won't boot. Old RAM won't work either. Power comes on, fans spin, lights come on, but nothing happens. No boot screen, no beeps.

Specs:

Case: Azza Solano
Motherboard: Asus P8P67
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 4GB
CPU: i5 2500k 4.5ghz
RAM: New RAM: 32gb DDR3 Crucial Ballistic / Old RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drives: 1TB HDD, 512 gb SSD
PSU: Corsair 750w

I've tried swapping out parts, tried draining the capacitor, tried unplugging everything but the power cable and monitor, then just the power cable. Nothing. Halp. D:

Hm, not really sure. So all you did was remove the old ram and install the new stuff? Didn't unplug anything or otherwise?

I think it's extremely unlikely the motherboard just died at the same time you changed out the ram... check the motherboard manual, does it have a light that indicates errors with memory or something like that? You might get some diagnostic information that way.

Hm, not really sure. So all you did was remove the old ram and install the new stuff? Didn't unplug anything or otherwise?

I think it's extremely unlikely the motherboard just died at the same time you changed out the ram... check the motherboard manual, does it have a light that indicates errors with memory or something like that? You might get some diagnostic information that way.

I don't have the manual, sadly.

Honestly, I think I forced the RAM in wrong and tried to boot it and perhaps damaged it. I tried to put it in upside-down because I'm a complete moron who doesn't pay attention and then flipped it around the right way but may have damaged it first.

Honestly, I think I forced the RAM in wrong and tried to boot it and perhaps damaged it. I tried to put it in upside-down because I'm a complete moron who doesn't pay attention and then flipped it around the right way but may have damaged it first.

You can find the manual online. Hm, well see what you can find in the manual first, there is probably an LED or two somewhere that can help you diagnose it.

edit: have you tried using different ram slots? Try using a single stick in a different slot (not the one where it was upside-down).

RGM79

Great thank you so much!

Forgot to ask, what model of Kingston SSD is it? Odds are it's probably fine and you don't need to replace it.

Did something actually break physically? Try the other RAM slots.

Looks nice! Does anyone know if this is the bios software on all asus mobos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom