• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevey

I need a new mouse to replace my Logitech G400 that I bit (don't ask).
Is there a newer version of it, or should I get another G400?
Want a wired one, don't need loads of buttons.

What's the best 3.5" SATA HDD for data/media storage?
Need something in the 4-6TB range and RELIABLE. Doesn't have to be fast.
It'll sit in a home-made file server running Windows 2008 R2 from which my Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC streams media. Eventually I plan to build a FreeNAS box so I'd like to migrate it there, too.
The file server is on Mon - Thu from 4pm - 11pm and then Fri-Sun all day (24h).

ST4000DM000 seems to be a good option. Fared well in the famous, ongoing Backblaze's HDD test.
Price is OK. Should I go for it? HGST are nowhere to be found it seems. :/

solid mike

My uncle asked me to build him a $280 non-gaming setup. Just a PC that can run Microsoft Office and browse the net.

To stick to that budget, I'm thinking I should omit a video/graphics card because he's not going to be playing games on that machine.

I read that you can opt not to put a GPU in your build if your CPU has integrated graphics and your mobo allows it.

So my question is does the Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3-A motherboard coupled with Intel Pentium G3258 3.20GHz allow for this? So that I don't need to get a video card?

My uncle asked me to build him a $280 non-gaming setup. Just a PC that can run Microsoft Office and browse the net.

To stick to that budget, I'm thinking I should omit a video/graphics card because he's not going to be playing games on that machine.

I read that you can opt not to put a GPU in your build if your CPU has integrated graphics and your mobo allows it.

So my question is does the Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3-A motherboard coupled with Intel Pentium G3258 3.20GHz allow for this? So that I don't need to get a video card?

That combo works, yes.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Guys I have a 970 currently and am only interested in 1080p / 60. I am still lagging behind CPU wise with a Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz which is clearly bottlenecking me while playing GTA5 (MGS5 is totally fine though)

I don't really want to get a new motherboard so would a FX 8350 fix my issues? Like I said 1080p/60 on high/max settings is my only requirement.

Many thanks!

Smokey

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011

FYI: The EVGA 1300w PS is $139 shipped AR @ Newegg. I was going to pick up a EVGA 1600w Platinum to replace my crappy Antec 1300 but this was too good a deal to pass up. This should be more than adequate for my 5820k@4.4k/3-way 980Ti SLI setup.

Great PSU. I've rocked this with different GPU setups from Tri SLI Titan Blacks to SLI Titan X. Running X79 with a 4930k. Has never given me issues. Great buy for a high end setup.

RGM79

Hmm, that's a solid point. The price difference between the two (4 GB versions) is only around $100 USD in my country, so it's probably worth it stepping up a notch. But then again, I'd need a new PSU probably.

Ohh, so many decisions to make.

But thanks for the help. It's really appreciated!:)

Oh, what country are you in, and what PSU do you have? What's your budget for a new graphics card? The GTX 970 is fairly power efficient and can run well on lower end power supplies.

So I got all the parts yesterday, hooked it up and it fails to post :( the PSU, CPU fan and Case fan all spin up and then spin down and repeat.

So far I've:

test the PSU with my old Mobo and it seemed okay, I didn't fully boot into windows but it turned on for more than 5 seconds.

Swapped Mobo batteries with my old PC.

Took out EVERYTHING but the CPU.

Tried with just one stick of RAM, tried at least 2 of the four slots for RAM.

Flipped the PSU over.

I'm pretty sure the mobo and cpu power is plugged in correctly, I'm just using the default cables that are on the PSU, I didn't attach any of the extra ones it comes with, does it make a difference? About the only thing I've seen on Tom's Hardware that I haven't tried is swapping power switch cables from my old case into the new one.

I'm running low on ideas and starting to get worried that I fucked up either the motherboard or the cpu somehow. Any thoughts?

Did you plug in the GPU power cables? Might even be a defective motherboard, if you're unlucky.

I need a new mouse to replace my Logitech G400 that I bit (don't ask).
Is there a newer version of it, or should I get another G400?
Want a wired one, don't need loads of buttons.

There's the G402 or G303.

Guys I have a 970 currently and am only interested in 1080p / 60. I am still lagging behind CPU wise with a Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz which is clearly bottlenecking me while playing GTA5 (MGS5 is totally fine though)

I don't really want to get a new motherboard so would a FX 8350 fix my issues? Like I said 1080p/60 on high/max settings is my only requirement.

Many thanks!

While a FX-8350 could work for you in some games, it is still a bottleneck in some other games. Are there any other games you would like to play besides GTAV? Around here we'd recommend switching to Intel if possible. What motherboard do you already have?

Quotient

In store, they do price match but it varies per store. Like mine would price match as long as it was a major retail competitor like Amazon and Newegg. They would deny price matching if the difference was anything less than $10.

I think it varies. My local store does not price match Amazon, but would for Newegg, Tiger Direct, B&H Photo, Best Buy, and some others.

It depends on both the location and the salesperson, likely due to their commission.

While buying my R9 380, I had one dude "check with his manager" before being able to price match Newegg. The 'manager' declined so I told him, "thanks anyway" and he lost a sale. Another salesman matched Newegg right away, and even checked the other components I was purchasing.

Thanks for the information folks.

I decided to order all my parts on amazon except for CPU, motherboard and case which microcenter has cheaper. I don't know if the Boston location will price match or not.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
While a FX-8350 could work for you in some games, it is still a bottleneck in some other games. Are there any other games you would like to play besides GTAV? Around here we'd recommend switching to Intel if possible. What motherboard do you already have?

I have a Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 AMD 880G (AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard which I got at the same time as the processor many years ago!

I play pretty much everything really. In the last month MGS5 / GTA 5 / Binding of isacc / nuclear throne / Witcher 3 / Civ 5 & Beyond earth. Lots of hearthstone & HoTs too. I'll be picking up SC2 & Fallout 4 shortly. I really should attempt to complete some of the above but that won't happen.

I was quite happy with the performance in MGS and other games but GTA 5 seems to really really bottleneck (huge FPS drops but stable at 45-55 90% of the time). I have also just ordered a SSD but that doesn't really matter CPU wise I suppose.

I was hoping to get some help here. This is my current setup:

Sb3fizv.jpg

I've been fine with it for the longest time until recently. I don't play much modern AAA games anyway and Dota 2 runs like a dream so I never really cared about my specs until yesterday.

Against my better judgement, I bought Fallout 4. Right now I can at best play this on 40-50 FPS on the lowest settings. I know I fucked up by not taking the system requirement specs seriously but now I want to make an emergency upgrade ASAP.

Anyway, I think my video card is the biggest bottleneck. My current card was mid-range price when I got it years ago but I'm fine with just getting something considered low-range if it would be a upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a card like this. What do you think? I'm comparing specs of my old card just to get a feel of what I could get is an affordable option but is a bigger jump from my old card.

I'm not ready to make some beastly enthusiast PC to play a modern AAA game at the highest settings. I just want to run Fallout 4 at reasonable settings with a smooth framerate.

Sb3fizv.jpg

I've been fine with it for the longest time until recently. I don't play much modern AAA games anyway and Dota 2 runs like a dream so I never really cared about my specs until yesterday.

Against my better judgement, I bought Fallout 4. Right now I can at best play this on 40-50 FPS on the lowest settings. I know I fucked up by not taking the system requirement specs seriously but now I want to make an emergency upgrade ASAP.

Anyway, I think my video card is the biggest bottleneck. My current card was mid-range price when I got it years ago but I'm fine with just getting something considered low-range if it would be a upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a card like this. What do you think? I'm comparing specs of my old card just to get a feel of what I could get is an affordable option but is a bigger jump from my old card.

I'm not ready to make some beastly enthusiast PC to play a modern AAA game at the highest settings. I just want to run Fallout 4 at reasonable settings with a smooth framerate.

Don't get that 740.. what's your budget for a video card?

kennah

I will pay up to $200 Canadian. Like I said, I don't want to put down too much money as I'm not gonna be making any sweeping changes to my PC any time soon.

BTW, why shouldn't I get that 740?
It's probably slower than your 560.

Not a lot ot work with in canada for $200 unless you want to go used. Where are you?

kuYuri

Sb3fizv.jpg

Go with at least a GTX 750 Ti card instead. Much better budget gaming card.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121855&cm_re=750_ti-_-14-121-855-_-Product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipDWbd6HNg

RGM79

I have a Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 AMD 880G (AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard which I got at the same time as the processor many years ago!

I play pretty much everything really. In the last month MGS5 / GTA 5 / Binding of isacc / nuclear throne / Witcher 3 / Civ 5 & Beyond earth. Lots of hearthstone & HoTs too. I'll be picking up SC2 & Fallout 4 shortly. I really should attempt to complete some of the above but that won't happen.

I was quite happy with the performance in MGS and other games but GTA 5 seems to really really bottleneck (huge FPS drops but stable at 45-55 90% of the time). I have also just ordered a SSD but that doesn't really matter CPU wise I suppose.

Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck when it comes to keeping your motherboard. The official CPU support list for that motherboard only mentions the FX-4130 as the newest processor that it can support. There might be a chance that your motherboard would support a FX-8350 with the latest BIOS update, but I wouldn't take that gamble.

There are also a fair number of games where an FX-83xx processor comes up a bit short, depending on what graphics settings you play at. In this Gamersnexus article on Fallout 4 CPU performance, the FX-83xx processors are unable to reach 60FPS even at medium settings and 1080p with a GTX 980 Ti.

In short, I'd recommend saving up for an Intel processor and new motherboard.

I will pay up to $200 Canadian. Like I said, I don't want to put down too much money as I'm not gonna be making any sweeping changes to my PC any time soon.

BTW, why shouldn't I get that 740?

Does that $200 include tax or not?

Wag

Great PSU. I've rocked this with different GPU setups from Tri SLI Titan Blacks to SLI Titan X. Running X79 with a 4930k. Has never given me issues. Great buy for a high end setup.

That's good to know. I'm hoping it will be able to handle my setup because the POS HCP-1300 Antec "upgraded" me to couldn't handle the load. Ironically the HCP-1200 I had previously would have been just fine. It's rated for lower w/voltage. The HCP-1200 is rated for ~1800w. Had they just been up front with me I would have never had these problems.

I overclock/overvolt everything, all 3 980Tis, my CPU and memory and have 7 drives on top of that so if it doesn't handle it I'll still have to buy a EVGA 1600w PSU. I spoke with someone @ EVGA, they said the 1300 Gold should be able to handle it... We'll see...

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck when it comes to keeping your motherboard. The official CPU support list for that motherboard only mentions the FX-4130 as the newest processor that it can support. There might be a chance that your motherboard would support a FX-8350 with the latest BIOS update, but I wouldn't take that gamble.

There are also a fair number of games where an FX-83xx processor comes up a bit short, depending on what graphics settings you play at. In this Gamersnexus article on Fallout 4 CPU performance, the FX-83xx processors are unable to reach 60FPS even at medium settings and 1080p with a GTX 980 Ti.

In short, I'd recommend saving up for an Intel processor and new motherboard.

Does that $200 include tax or not?

Ah okay thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Money isn't the problem. I am just extremely lazy when it comes to this stuff. If I am changing mobo I will have no excuse to change other parts which I just have been too lazy to change.

To intel we go! How exciting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KPRWB9G/

+

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K8KPXUO/

I assume that will be okay?

RGM79

Ah okay thanks very much for taking the time to respond. Money isn't the problem. I am just extremely lazy when it comes to this stuff. If I am changing mobo I will have no excuse to change other parts which I just have been too lazy to change.

To intel we go! How exciting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KPRWB9G/

+

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K8KPXUO/

I assume that will be okay?

Yes, that will work together just fine. You could opt for a cheaper motherboard in the £70~80 range if you wanted, but there's nothing wrong with that MSI motherboard.

Alternatively, consider upgrading to Intel's newer Skylake line. Buying a new Intel Skylake processor and Z170 motherboard will also mean you'd have to buy new DDR4 RAM and a CPU cooler, but you do get other nice things like USB 3.1 speed and USB type C connectors, as added future-proofing. Here's what it would look like in terms of cost:
VwSPczP.jpg

1 x Intel Core i5-6600K, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed without cooler (BX80662I56600K)
1 x GeIL Dragon RAM white IC DIMM kit 8GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-17-17-35 (GWW48GB3000C15DC)
1 x Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
1 x Scythe Kotetsu (SCKTT-1000)
Total of all best prices: £ 365.80

RedSwirl

So what are the holiday prices looking like for 256GB SSDs? I think I'm looking at one on Amazon right now for $80. The retail chains aren't going to have any door-busters for these are they (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target)?

Skii

Good job, can we get a dpc latency screenshot now?
And can you right click properties the Intel gigabit LAN under network adapter in device manager, I'm specifically looking to see the driver version.

I did try Latencymon last night with safe mode but the program wouldn't start. Don't know how I'm going to check my DPC latency in safe mode.

Did you also want me to check it with the new drivers installed? Just in case it fixed it?

I'll send you screenshots and updates in 2-3 hours when I'm finished studying.

LilJoka

I did try Latencymon last night with safe mode but the program wouldn't start. Don't know how I'm going to check my DPC latency in safe mode.

Did you also want me to check it with the new drivers installed? Just in case it fixed it?

I'll send you screenshots and updates in 2-3 hours when I'm finished studying.

Ah possibly it requires a driver that won't load in safe mode.

Yes a screenshot of dpclatency will be good, also the driver version of the Intel gigabit LAN adapter which you can find in device manager.

I wonder if a powered hdmi splitter could do the job, the amp won't like the video on the signal but should still play the audio. What amp is it?

But I wouldn't rush to buy anything, definitely try it first. You may have an option in the bios to enable multi GPU output support. Make sure pcie GPU is set as primary however. If this works it'll be as simple as using extended displays with 1080p output on the onboard GPU and setting it as the default playback device.

Hey man, thought I'd update, it actually worked....I just expected it to do some annoying switch to Intergrated graphics or something, but no full 5.1 audio from the IGP, and video output from my Nvidia card. Good call

Do I need to download the Realtec audio driver for my Asus z170 motherboard if I'm using USB audio with an external DAC/AMP?

I mean sound works just fine and everything but would it somehow be better with the motherboard's audio driver?

LilJoka

Do I need to download the Realtec audio driver for my Asus z170 motherboard if I'm using USB audio with an external DAC/AMP?

I mean sound works just fine and everything but would it somehow be better with the motherboard's audio driver?

Won't make any difference so I wouldn't.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Got the 970

Fallout 4 on high settings... see GPU temp at 70*C

Sime-freak out because I'm not used to seeing 70*C on anything

RGM79

I don't really mind as long as I can buy using paypal or CC.

How does this list look?
Check the retailers that the parts are from, I'm not sure if they will work for you or not, considering that I'm not in the UK.

1 x Toshiba DT01ACA 2TB, SATA 6Gb/s (DT01ACA200)
1 x Samsung SSD 850 Evo 500GB, SATA (MZ-75E500B)
1 x Intel Core i7-5820K, 6x 3.30GHz, boxed without cooler (BX80648I75820K)
1 x Patriot Viper 4 Series DIMM kit 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL15-15-15-35 (PV416G266C5QK)
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Windforce 3X, 6GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort (GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD)
1 x MSI X99A SLI Plus (7885-023R)
2 x Noctua NH-D15
1 x Fractal Design Define S, noise-insulated (FD-CA-DEF-S-BK)
1 x XFX XTR Series 650W ATX 2.31 (P1-650B-BEFX)
1 x Microsoft: Windows 10 Pro 32bit/64bit, DSP/SB, USB stick (English) (PC) (FQC-08789)
Total of all best prices: £ 1614.22

If you're only using audio output from the USB adaptor, then it has nothing to do with the motherboard audio. Only if you have something plugged into the motherboard audio jacks then it matters if you install the motherboard audio driver.

$310 for 970 ACX 2 FTW decent? There is also a mir which would bring it down to $290.

Think I would regret dropping 600+ on a 980ti.

It says $324 after a $20 rebate?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I use yahoo mail and when I log into my account and view my recent activity, it shows that my current session is using Google Chrome (incorrect) and location is a different state. Yesterday I changed my password but now that I realize that the info is wrong for my current session, this makes me think that yahoo is just reporting it wrong. Has anyone else had this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom