• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kris.

Banned
Hello, friends. I dunno if this should go here or not, but here goes. Ever since upgrading to W10, I've been getting prompts from the OS that all of my RAM is being taken up and I need to close things. Only problem is, when I go into my task manager, the highest percentage I've ever seen in use is MAYBE 60%? I have 8gb of RAM, I feel like that should be enough at this point. This seems to happen when I leave the computer on for a long time. I've tried googling and I can't find a good fix for this.

DontBlink

A question not exactly about a part but maybe someone will know:

I'm looking for a color and duplex laser all in-one printer (don't care about fax, but need the other features). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Separate note: are scanner feeders able to scan both sides of a page? Not talking about duplex scanning, but maybe scanning all pages on one side and then re-feeding them to scan the other?

Not bad. Otherwise there's the Asus Strix ($298 after rebate) which is similar but has a slightly larger cooler and comes with a smaller factory overclock.

Thanks, that is actually a better deal! It is 279.99 after rebate.

Should be in this weekend.

i7 930 3.5ghz (can move this to 3.8ghz, potentially 4).
970 gtx
6gb ram (still debating on whether I want to raise this to 8/12).

FO4 (downloading now) says required 8gb but people seem to be having success with 6gb.

smisk

Does anyone here still use an AMD processor? I've had my Phenom X4 965 for years now and it's still going strong. I have a GTX 970 and have been able to run everything I've wanted to so far, including BLOPS 3 on high.
Gonna try and hold out until the Zen CPUs come out to upgrade.

UFO

Banned
What kind of black friday deals can I expect for PC building? I'm trying to stay under $600 for a decent medium-medium/low build.

What's the best 3.5" SATA HDD for data/media storage?
Need something in the 4-6TB range and RELIABLE. Doesn't have to be fast.
It'll sit in a home-made file server running Windows 2008 R2 from which my Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC streams media. Eventually I plan to build a FreeNAS box so I'd like to migrate it there, too.
The file server is on Mon - Thu from 4pm - 11pm and then Fri-Sun all day (24h).

ST4000DM000 seems to be a good option. Fared well in the famous, ongoing Backblaze's HDD test.
Price is OK. Should I go for it? HGST are nowhere to be found it seems. :/

...anyone? :/

southsidewolf

Neo Member
Hello, friends. I dunno if this should go here or not, but here goes. Ever since upgrading to W10, I've been getting prompts from the OS that all of my RAM is being taken up and I need to close things. Only problem is, when I go into my task manager, the highest percentage I've ever seen in use is MAYBE 60%? I have 8gb of RAM, I feel like that should be enough at this point. This seems to happen when I leave the computer on for a long time. I've tried googling and I can't find a good fix for this.
Do you have a Killer NIC? I had to update to latest drivers for mine after my Windows 10 upgrade due to insane memory usage. Long shot I guess, but maybe...

Does anyone here still use an AMD processor? I've had my Phenom X4 965 for years now and it's still going strong. I have a GTX 970 and have been able to run everything I've wanted to so far, including BLOPS 3 on high.

My wife's PC has Athlon X4 860K because it was super cheap and fit in a spare motherboard I had lying around. She hasn't had any issues with the games she plays or running Adobe (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) Granted, she also has a 7970 for Open CL with those programs. I do plan on building her a proper design PC next year, though.

Looking at either Zen or X99, I'll wait and see price/perf for Zen before I make a decision. Looking for at least 12 threads regardless.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member

Me (955 black & GTX 970 too) but as you can see from the previous page I will be finally upgrading due to poor FPS on various games.

Has served me well with no problems so no complaints at all.

I have a pretty standard 500w psu and have had no problems powering my 970 for the last month.

Great, that's comforting to hear. Thanks!

Just a note: I had a Corsair HX520W, an amazing PSU but unfortunately one that showed its age with a 970.
I had no problems running 970 (Gigabyte G1 model) with it, but there was an audible whine/clicker sound coming from the PSU whenever the GPU was under load (no, it was not the GPU coil whine).
I'm not saying that'll happen with your PSU (really depends on the PSU's quality) but just a heads up.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Great, that's comforting to hear. Thanks!

I have a EVGA 500 watt 80+ bronze

it's been less then 24 hours but been playing fallout 4 on high, no problems as far as I can see

Also to let you know, the GPU fans will not spin unless the temp gets around 70*C. At least on the EVGA 970 SC

TBiddy

Just a note: I had a Corsair HX520W, an amazing PSU but unfortunately one that showed its age with a 970.
I had no problems running 970 (Gigabyte G1 model) with it, but there was an audible whine/clicker sound coming from the PSU whenever the GPU was under load (no, it was not the GPU coil whine).
I'm not saying that'll happen with your PSU (really depends on the PSU's quality) but just a heads up.

I'm sporting a Corsair CX600M PSU. Probably not a very good PSU or anything like that, but I think it'll be OK. I'm not that concerned about noise tbh.

But thanks, though. Appreciate it!

LilJoka

As expected, the sound cracking is still there. Here are screenshots of the driver and of LatencyMon

driver

latencymon main screen

latencymon driver screen

I dunno if you want the report as well. Let me know if you do.

Final suggesstion, disable the Wireless LAN Adaptor and Intel Gigabit LAN Adaptor in the device manager. See if the latency drops.

If this fails I would just have to point you to another forum to get more in depth advice.

Jarsonot

Got my Acer HB270HU yesterday - it's awesome!

Also got my cousin and my friend building their own rigs, after the success of mine.

Cousin put his together yesterday, wasn't working at first (turns out memory stick wasn't fully seated). Friend is waiting on parts in the mail.

Thanks again for all of your collective help! Really valuable resource to have.

This thread is great!

Deltoid

Banned
What are the chances of next gen nvidia cards coming out by the time Overwatch is released (~June)?

I've been running on integrated graphics since my old gpu failed, it runs dota and csgo well enough on low/med settings, so it's fine for now but there are other games I'd like to try. Just not sure if I can wait for Pascal cards.

I'd get a 970 if Pascal takes too long, is coil whine still a thing?

What are the chances of next gen nvidia cards coming out by the time Overwatch is released (~June)?

I've been running on integrated graphics since my old gpu failed, it runs dota and csgo well enough on low/med settings, so it's fine for now but there are other games I'd like to try. Just not sure if I can wait for Pascal cards.

I'd get a 970 if Pascal takes too long, is coil whine still a thing?
Lemme check my crystal ball.

Nothing. :D

In all seriousness, we don't know.
970 is still (and will be) a great GPU, alongside the whole Maxwell family. I'd buy it if I were you.
You'd be set with it for a couple of years with no worries.
Don't know about coil whine. Had my Gigabyte G1 970 since day one (Oct 2014) and I had no coil whine issues. As long as you have good RMA (EVGA seems to be the king), you're good.

Quick question, I finally put a 120gb SSD in my PC and want to clone my OS on it. I have experience with the cloning process already but I wonder about the following, my current system partition is 160gb big with only about 60gb used, that means I should have no trouble cloning it to a 120gb SSD right?

Or will EaseUS complain despite the actual data-amount not exceeding 120gb?

Quick question, I finally put a 120gb SSD in my PC and want to clone my OS on it. I have experience with the cloning process already but I wonder about the following, my current system partition is 160gb big with only about 60gb used, that means I should have no trouble cloning it to a 120gb SSD right?

Or will EaseUS complain despite the actual data-amount not exceeding 120gb?

It won't.

OK here is where I am at. How we looking? Went with the shorter ram, put in a better cooler.

Again going to be my primary gaming machine, may do some streaming from it, will be using Adobe Premiere/Effects/ and the rest of the suite. Going to back up all my (100ish) Blu rays with mkv to an external drive.

I have a 2015 15" rMBP with the m370x for mobile use.

wEHEMYD.png

OK here is where I am at. How we looking? Went with the shorter ram, put in a better cooler.

Again going to be my primary gaming machine, may do some streaming from it, will be using Adobe Premiere/Effects/ and the rest of the suite. Going to back up all my (100ish) Blu rays with mkv to an external drive.

I have a 2015 15" rMBP with the m370x for mobile use.

wEHEMYD.png

Are you only buying from Amazon?

I would get a better power supply, see e.g. this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=416

Also what is the go to PC controller now. Prefer wireless as I am going to go HDMI to my TV. I will be on Windows 10 (unless anyone says I should buy Windows 7 instead).

glaurung

Also what is the go to PC controller now. Prefer wireless as I am going to go HDMI to my TV. I will be on Windows 10 (unless anyone says I should buy Windows 7 instead).
Newer Xbox One controllers (fixed bumpers) and the wireless dongle. Needs Windows 10 though.

In other news, I replaced my GTX 970 with a 980 Ti.

And then... I hooked my PC up to my 4K Bravia. The Witcher 3 in 4K is a truly eye-opening experience. My jaw was on the friggin floor.

Lombax

Banned
Morning PC GAF,

I'm looking for some advice here. At the moment here is why I am running:

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950
8gigs Memory

After firing up Fallout 4 last night I was underwhelmed with what my rig was putting out. I think it may be time to build a new PC.

If I build something now I was planning to go with an i7 / GTX 970 based system.

My question is this. Should I do a build now or hold off until next year? I'm not too up to date on the next line of Intel processors or if DDR4 is going to be a thing.

Thank you.

I would prefer Amazon yes. I have a bunch of credit from trade ins on there.

What power supply would you swap in?

I'm sure RGM will have a suggestion, but perhaps an EVGA 650 G2 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKDETOW/?tag=pcpapi-20). There's also a Seasonic 620W there I believe.

The PSU is critically important, so I would google for a Jonny Guru review of any PSU before buying one imo.

Morning PC GAF,

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
8gigs Memory

After firing up Fallout 4 last night I was underwhelmed with what my rig was putting out. I think it may be time to build a new PC.

If I build something now I was planning to go with an i7 / GTX 970 based system.

My question is this. Should I do a build now or hold off until next year? I'm not too up to date on the next line of Intel processors or if DDR4 is going to be a thing.

Thank you.
I would replace your cpu/mobo/ram now, and see how it goes with your 7950. If it's sufficient for now, you could then hold out and grab a Pascal video card when it's released next year (or if not, grab something like a 970 or 390). Grab a 6600K and you're set for many years.

Dammit you guys rock. I have to echo Jarsonot's post above. Excellent advice being dished out every day.

I've learned so much from this thread. Thanks all!

Skii

Final suggesstion, disable the Wireless LAN Adaptor and Intel Gigabit LAN Adaptor in the device manager. See if the latency drops.

If this fails I would just have to point you to another forum to get more in depth advice.

Nope, still sound cracking. Thanks for all your help but I guess this is pretty much unsolvable. Do you know of any forums that might help?

Also, do you still think that reinstalling the OS again will fix it?

When purchasing a new monitor are the included displayport cables sufficient? I noticed there is a high attach rate of separate cables when people buy monitors on Amazon.

Lombax

Banned
I would replace your cpu/mobo/ram now, and see how it goes with your 7950. If it's sufficient for now, you could then hold out and grab a Pascal video card when it's released next year (or if not, grab something like a 970 or 390). Grab a 6600K and you're set for many years.

Thank you for the advice. I'll give it a go!

OkayRene

From a gaming perspective, Is the Home version of Windows 10 sufficient for PC gaming? Or are there any good reasons to go with Pro edition or higher?

j-wood

I think around december I'm going to do an upgrade for my PC.

Currently this is what my system is:
i7 2600k
Asrock p67 extreme4
8GB of DDR3 (4x2GB)
550w psu
120GB SSD for the OS - Keeping
1TB raid0 for gaming, 7200rpm drives - keeping
500GB drive for data, 7200pm - keeping
Antec 1200v3 case - keeping
GTX 970 - keeping

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tw9rK8

What do you guys think?

I think around december I'm going to do an upgrade for my PC.

Currently this is what my system is:
i7 2600k
Asrock p67 extreme4
8GB of DDR3 (4x2GB)
550w psu
120GB SSD for the OS - Keeping
1TB raid0 for gaming, 7200rpm drives - keeping
500GB drive for data, 7200pm - keeping
Antec 1200v3 case - keeping
GTX 970 - keeping

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Tw9rK8

What do you guys think?
I would get a better power supply and explore the Asus Z170-PRO board, it's a bit cheaper and newer if you don't need the Maximus' features. Otherwise solid.

Are you sure? There doesn't appear to be much more than 2cm clearance over my current cooler.

De_Dust
Not "sure" but other forum posts indicate that it does fit in that case.

I need a PC for Adobe image editing softwares: Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Also media stuff: movies, music and such.

What do you think about this one? Win10.

SEB87Ew.png

j-wood

RGM79

...anyone? :/

Hard drive reliability isn't really something that is widely known or that has official statistics. The best thing you can do is buy a drive based on good proportions of user reviews and then back it up frequently. Still, I'd trust Western Digital, HGST, or Toshiba. Seagate have had some negative reputation after some large scale hard drive failures in the past, but hopefully their newer models aren't bad.

Morning PC GAF,

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz
8gigs Memory

Thank you.
How much are you looking to spend? There's no real reason to wait, Intel's latest consumer processor line just released about 3 months ago.

Can anyone recommend me a good CPU cooler for the CM Elite 130?
Hyper 212 should fit.
No, the 212 Evo is way too large for that case. Official specs for that case allow 65mm tall CPU coolers, while the 212 Evo is 160mm tall.

Given the lack of room due to the power supply mounted above the processor, your best bet would be a water cooler. Most 120mm water coolers should be fine, you only need a really high end model like a Corsair H80i GT if you'll be doing heavy overclocking or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom