• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezen

Banned
This test shows less than 10% difference between 2500k and cpus with more threads but in ultra quality on battlefront.

I suspect that with the cpu's oc'ed and non sli results the differences would be even smaller.
Syndicate does seem to benefit from having more threads available but personally i want to see more benchmarks from different sites to be certain of what the actual difference is.

Techspot must have chosen a bad spot for benching, this is clearly GPU limited in their case. Not ideal scenario to show the difference between CPUs.

UnrealEck

Yeah Frostbite is really light on CPU usage. I have a dated CPU and it has plenty of room left whilst the 980 Ti it's feeding is fully loaded.

I have no PC making knowledge, I want a PC for oculus next year. Is there anything on Black Friday that should make me take the plunge now or keep waiting till rift hits.

I have no PC making knowledge, I want a PC for oculus next year. Is there anything on Black Friday that should make me take the plunge now or keep waiting till rift hits.

If it's just for VR then I would definitely wait. Prices change quite often, and depending on when Oculus releases, Pascal (the new Nvidia GPUs) might be ready.

UnrealEck

No point buying stuff now for something that's not out till next year. Especially when Pascal is penned in for next year.

RGM79

Guys, is an i5 4670k enough for PS2 heavy emulation? (such as Valkyrie Profile 2).
Also, any good Mobo for this core with a good price?
Ohh, and are those hybrid HD+SSD any good for gaming?

Yes, an i5 4670K is excellent for PS2 emulation. You can use any Z87 or Z97 motherboard for it. How much are you thinking of spending? The Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 is nice for a price of $80 although that is after a heavy $40 rebate. Have you considered what sort of CPU cooler to use? What are the rest of your system specs?

No, hybrid drives are pointless for gaming. Get a dedicated SSD if you want fast loading speed, just know that storage drive speed has typically very little to do with game performance and framerate (exception being open world games that do seamless loading during gameplay).

Pretty sure I'm doing an upgrade next month. Opinions?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kW2m99

Current rig:
i7 2600k
8GB DDR3
AsRock p67 Extreme4
GTX 970
120GB SSD (OS)
500GB HDD (Data)
1TB Raid0 (Games)

Keeping the video card and hard drives. Also still need headset rec from my last post!

Parts seem fine, except for the RAM which is kinda pricey. You can get faster RAM for a few dollars more, like this kit of 2x8GB G.Skill 3200MHz RAM for $95.

Hello again,

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a motherboard for my i7 Skylake build.

The Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX was recommended to me but I noticed its fastest display connection is an HDMI for 4096x2160@24Hz.

I noticed the Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 has a display port for 4096x2160@60Hz for a few $$$'s cheaper than the Gigabyte (after a rebate).

I have a 4k 60Hz monitor and I would like to take advantage of a display port to I can get my monitors full refresh rate. I know graphics cards have display ports but I won't be able to get one until January (I'm only going to use my PC for photo editing so I'll be using my i7s integrated graphics for the time being).

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Asus? It has a few good reviews on PC Part Picker but only one mediocre review on Newegg.
Edit - It actually has 3/5 on Newegg while the Gigabyte scored a little higher.

Kalentan

Hey guys, is it okay if I could get some help ASAP?

I'm in the middle of transferring my old stuff into my new tower.

However while everything seems like it will fit, there is a problem.

So here is my motherboard/CPU fan.

http://i.picpar.com/sRAb.jpg

And the inside of my Rosewill Challenger tower:

http://i.picpar.com/tRAb.jpg

Now the problem seems to be where the screws to put in the CPU fan will actually go. In my old computer I had this:

http://i.picpar.com/uRAb.jpg

Which was behind the motherboard and the back of the computer tower had a slot in which to screw this portion in. Now when I lay down the mother board, the CPU portion is above
the part of the tower where that's depression. I'm unsure of what I should do to fix this problem. Do I just not use it? Should I tape it in?

Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade, but I do not know if it would worth it.

My current specs:

AMD FX-6300
ASUS Strix GTX 960 2gb
8GB RAM
450w PSU
ASUS M5A78L-M Motherboard

Basically, I'm looking into getting a better CPU, an Intel one to be exact. I'm currently looking at the i5 2500k. Would that be a decent upgrade over the FX-6300? I also need help picking out a motherboard as my current one is AMD only. Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm looking to upgrade, but I do not know if it would worth it.

My current specs:

AMD FX-6300
ASUS Strix GTX 960 2gb
8GB RAM
450w PSU
ASUS M5A78L-M Motherboard

Basically, I'm looking into getting a better CPU, an Intel one to be exact. I'm currently looking at the i5 2500k. Would that be a decent upgrade over the FX-6300? I also need help picking out a motherboard as my current one is AMD only. Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure, but if you have to get a 4 year old motherboard for a 2500K, then I would not bother with it and get a newer intel processor (like say a i5 4690K) with a modern mobo.

Blitzhex

Hello again,

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a motherboard for my i7 Skylake build.

The Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX was recommended to me but I noticed its fastest display connection is an HDMI for 4096x2160@24Hz.

I noticed the Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 has a display port for 4096x2160@60Hz for a few $$$'s cheaper than the Gigabyte (after a rebate).

I have a 4k 60Hz monitor and I would like to take advantage of a display port to I can get my monitors full refresh rate. I know graphics cards have display ports but I won't be able to get one until January (I'm only going to use my PC for photo editing so I'll be using my i7s integrated graphics for the time being).

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Asus? It has a few good reviews on PC Part Picker but only one mediocre review on Newegg.
Edit - It actually has 3/5 on Newegg while the Gigabyte scored a little higher.

You can never go wrong with ASUS, they make top tier motherboards. The fact that it has dp1.2 also helps. Meanwhile Gigabyte are known for their bait and switch practices with their motherboards and generally low QC.

Gav47

I want to reuse my Corsair H50 (first revision) from my previous build (socket 775), the back bracket has holes for 1366,1155 and 775. The 1155 holes should work for the newer 1151 socket right?

Also, I'm switching out CPU, motherboard and RAM, will that require a fresh install of windows?

Took about 8 total hours to build my new desk and then arrange monitors while finding long enough cords for them. I need to see if longer displayport cables exist and if theit quality depreciates the longer they are (maybe that's only optical cables haha)

Anyways, I had to put my new pg279q monitor in between my old ones because I don't have a long enough displayport cable. I'm scared to turn it on haha

Old pc setup:
4e4VBqS.jpg

New pc setup with ps4:
DNP1laBh.jpg

Now the problem seems to be where the screws to put in the CPU fan will actually go. In my old computer I had this:

Which was behind the motherboard and the back of the computer tower had a slot in which to screw this portion in. Now when I lay down the mother board, the CPU portion is above
the part of the tower where that's depression. I'm unsure of what I should do to fix this problem. Do I just not use it? Should I tape it in?
Could you list the specs of your new machine? Are you trying to re-use your old cooler? If so, what are the specs of your old system?

I'm not sure if I totally understand.

RGM79

Install the CPU cooler onto the motherboard and then put it into the case? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with most of those parts. You mean the plate is something that is secured to the case instead of the motherboard? Can you just attach it to the motherboard instead? If not, you should probably get a new cooler.. I can't tell what motherboard that is, it's some proprietary Dell design, either socket 1366 or 2011.

You can never go wrong with ASUS, they make top tier motherboards. The fact that it has dp1.2 also helps. Meanwhile Gigabyte are known for their bait and switch practices with their motherboards and generally low QC.

I have an Asus Z170-Pro Gaming motherboard and I couldn't disagree more. RAM compatibility issues plague the motherboard. I wouldn't be so quick to say Gigabyte is low quality in general, either. When choosing a motherboard, we should look at it on a per-model basis. Every manufacturer is capable of making good and bad models.

I want to reuse my Corsair H50 (first revision) from my previous build (socket 775), the back bracket has holes for 1366,1155 and 775. The 1155 holes should work for the newer 1151 socket right?

Also, I'm switching out CPU, motherboard and RAM, will that require a fresh install of windows?

Yes, all of the socket 115x mounting systems are the same, they share the same placement and dimensions. Yes, you'll likely need to reinstall Windows. It's possible that you may be able to boot back into your old installation, but it's not guaranteed.

I'm not entirely sure, but if you have to get a 4 year old motherboard for a 2500K, then I would not bother with it and get a newer intel processor (like say a i5 4690K) with a modern mobo.

You're right! I actually didn't expect the prices to be nearly the same between the two. Now, to get a mobo around $90 (or below of course) would be great. $300 is how much I'm going to try and work with.

EDIT: Think I found a good mobo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7807IK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2AS1C3KAWCEVN&coliid=I1TRR67VTUC8BW

Blitzhex

I have an Asus Z170-Pro Gaming motherboard and I couldn't disagree more. RAM compatibility issues plague the motherboard. I wouldn't be so quick to say Gigabyte is low quality in general, either. When choosing a motherboard, we should look at it on a per-model basis. Every manufacturer is capable of making good and bad models.

XMP ram compatibility is something that will be frequently updated through bios updates, especially on such a new platform and with new ddr4 sticks coming out every month. Doesn't setting speed, timings and voltage manually work? I'm used to skipping XMP and doing that anyway, but you are right I don't know too much about this board in particular.

darthbob

Not sure if this is the right thread...

I've got an FX-8350 currently, but I'm looking to upgrade. Would the i5 6500 or i5 6600(K) be worthy? Would appreciate some recommendations on motherboards too, hoping to keep the upgrades under $500 :)

Chinbo37

Ive got a logitech unifying receiver connected to a logitech MX anywhere mouse and a logitech keyboard (not sure which one I can confirm if necessary).

Ive had a weird issue the last couple months where when I start my computer and it goes to my password screen (windows 8.1), neither my keyboard nor mouse work. Nothing. I have to hard reset my computer using the case power button. When I start it again the keyboard and mouse work no problem.

Same thing everytime.

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on? I tried unpairing both devices and repairing them but it didnt change anything.

I'm looking to replace an ageing video card and hoping for some guidance. My current video card is a 560Ti w/ i5 2500K. I'd really like to not break the bank ($300 makes me start to feel bad for spending so much) but will if I have to. Unfortunately the CAD/USD exchange rate right now is really making that harder to do.

1) I game at 1080p. That's what my monitor does and I don't feel he the need to move higher. 1080p with AA suits me just fine. I'm looking a 4GB cards because I worry about console ports now that they have so much more VRAM in the current gen. Am I being crazy, or is this justified?

2) Is it worth the price difference to go from 4GB 960 to 4GB 970? It looks like I can get a Zotac 4GB 970 for $349 CAD right now with a bunch of rebates, but normally there is about a $100 premium for the 970 over the 960.

3) I'm looking at Nvidia because their value added stuff appeals to me (Shadowplay, GSync for future use), so I've rather discounted AMD. But if I really want a 4GB card with comparable performance should I be seriously considering them?

Thanks!

RGM79

XMP ram compatibility is something that will be frequently updated through bios updates, especially on such a new platform and with new ddr4 sticks coming out every month. Doesn't setting speed, timings and voltage manually work? I'm used to skipping XMP and doing that anyway, but you are right I don't know too much about this board in particular.

As one newegg review for that motherboard mentioned, in the 4 months since the motherboard became available for sale, there have been 11 BIOS update releases and it hasn't solved everyone's issues. All of them are vaguely labeled "improve system stability" and I'm still having issues with mine failing to boot properly even after getting a replacement RMA. On the other hand, the Gigabyte model only has 5 BIOS updates out so far and not as many people are complaining, and far fewer have issues with XMP.

As far as I know, XMP and setting it manually should result in the same thing - XMP is a memory profile already set to the correct speed, timings, and voltages. If you look at the Newegg reviews, some of the negative reviews have already reported trying manual settings to no avail. It falls to the motherboard and processor to be able to run RAM at the rated speed.

You're right! I actually didn't expect the prices to be nearly the same between the two. Now, to get a mobo around $90 (or below of course) would be great. $300 is how much I'm going to try and work with.

EDIT: Think I found a good mobo: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7807IK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2AS1C3KAWCEVN&coliid=I1TRR67VTUC8BW

You should get a Z97 motherboard if you're going with an i5 4690K. You'll want the ability to overclock. Do you prefer to order from Amazon or are other retailers ok? What are the rest of your system specs? The Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 ($80 after rebate) is at a low price after $40 rebate and even comes with USB 3.1.

Not sure if this is the right thread...

I've got an FX-8350 currently, but I'm looking to upgrade. Would the i5 6500 or i5 6600(K) be worthy? Would appreciate some recommendations on motherboards too, hoping to keep the upgrades under $500 :)

Yes, either of those Intel processors would be a great upgrade. I assume you're in the US? What are the rest of your system specs? We should make sure it all fits together, and you'll probably want to get a new CPU cooler along with a motherboard and processor.

Ive got a logitech unifying receiver connected to a logitech MX anywhere mouse and a logitech keyboard (not sure which one I can confirm if necessary).

Ive had a weird issue the last couple months where when I start my computer and it goes to my password screen (windows 8.1), neither my keyboard nor mouse work. Nothing. I have to hard reset my computer using the case power button. When I start it again the keyboard and mouse work no problem.

Same thing everytime.

Anyone have any ideas of what is going on? I tried unpairing both devices and repairing them but it didnt change anything.

How far away is the keyboard and mouse? Low battery?

I'm looking to replace an ageing video card and hoping for some guidance. My current video card is a 560Ti w/ i5 2500K. I'd really like to not break the bank ($300 makes me start to feel bad for spending so much) but will if I have to. Unfortunately the CAD/USD exchange rate right now is really making that harder to do.

1) I game at 1080p. That's what my monitor does and I don't feel he the need to move higher. 1080p with AA suits me just fine. I'm looking a 4GB cards because I worry about console ports now that they have so much more VRAM in the current gen. Am I being crazy, or is this justified?

2) Is it worth the price difference to go from 4GB 960 to 4GB 970? It looks like I can get a Zotac 4GB 970 for $349 CAD right now with a bunch of rebates, but normally there is about a $100 premium for the 970 over the 960.

3) I'm looking at Nvidia because their value added stuff appeals to me (Shadowplay, GSync for future use), so I've rather discounted AMD. But if I really want a 4GB card with comparable performance should I be seriously considering them?

Thanks!

1. You're not crazy at all. I wouldn't say the sole reason is because the current generation of consoles have that much RAM (ported PC games run at higher quality settings and resolutions than console games after all), but for 1080p we do recommend a graphics card with 4GB VRAM if possible. The latest games like AC Syndicate can use up a lot of VRAM. I tried playing it on my work PC with a 560 Ti 1GB card and it's choking on the lowest settings because AC Syndicate does use up a lot of VRAM, according to Nvidia's guide.

2. Yes definitely, especially if you want to play at higher settings at 1080p. I know Canadian prices suck but $350 CAD is a steal for a GTX 970. Which model is it?

3. The competitor to the GTX 960 would be the R9 380. It's not a bad graphics card at all. They're usually close enough that I recommend researching how well they perform for specific games and buying based on that. For example, HardOCP found that the R9 380 trumps the GTX 960 in GTAV but the opposite was true in BF4.

The R9 390 is the competitor to the GTX 970. At higher resolutions the R9 390 is a better bet than the GTX 970, but otherwise the same thing applies a little research never hurts. For example, Techpowerup found that the GTX 970 is noticeably better than the R9 390 at running GTAV, and on average the R9 390 just slightly trails the GTX 970 at 1080p gaming in general when the performance of all of the tested games were taken into account.

Nothing really wrong with going with AMD, but if the extra features like Shadowplay and G-Sync are really worth it to you, then stick with Nvidia.

Celegus

Looking to possibly upgrade mine and my wife's computers this season, since it's been a few years or so. I've always stuck with AMD CPUs and GPUs since they're so much cheaper, but every time I pop into one of these threads it feels almost exclusively Intel and Nvidia. Is the price difference really worth it? I pretty much only play Blizzard games on PC which are hardly intensive, so I certainly don't need to run AAA games on ultra at 60 fps.

Currently have:
AMD A6-3650 Llano Quad-Core 2.6 GHz Socket FM1
MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
MSI Radeon HD 7770 DirectX 11 R7770-PMD1GD5 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Plus a 460W PSU, 500gb HDD and 120gb SSD.

RAM should still be fine, but I'd really want to keep the CPU+Mobo+GPU under $500 since I'd be buying two of each. Or is the video card still okay and I'd benefit most from a new CPU? I really haven't kept up with what's what anymore, but I'm hitting all the links in the OP and researching my little heart out.

Nothing really wrong with going with AMD, but if the extra features like Shadowplay and G-Sync are really worth it to you, then stick with Nvidia.

Didn't even know what those were until I looked them up but it's not something I'd use, so I'll probably stick with AMD. Thanks for the info!

Kalentan

Install the CPU cooler onto the motherboard and then put it into the case? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with most of those parts. You mean the plate is something that is secured to the case instead of the motherboard? Can you just attach it to the motherboard instead? If not, you should probably get a new cooler.. I can't tell what motherboard that is, it's some proprietary Dell design, either socket 1366 or 2011.

Yeah, this actually worked. Honestly my only problem now is actually turning on the computer. I can't seem to get the power button to work. I did once, but then when I took out the GPU, they became unplugged and it hasn't worked since... Need to figure out where the power button cord goes.

Edit: Alright, it seems to not see the HDD there. I must have done something wrong.

Not necessarily, but we can recommend a parts list for you geared specifically toward silence.

I would like to know if possible. Still following the Haz "Excellent-Overall" Build and what I should change from it.

Also, the router is in a very inconvenient place in my house. I forgot what the device is called but it allows your PC to have wireless internet, what do I buy to resolve this?

Athreous

Yes, an i5 4670K is excellent for PS2 emulation. You can use any Z87 or Z97 motherboard for it. How much are you thinking of spending? The Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 is nice for a price of $80 although that is after a heavy $40 rebate. Have you considered what sort of CPU cooler to use? What are the rest of your system specs?

No, hybrid drives are pointless for gaming. Get a dedicated SSD if you want fast loading speed, just know that storage drive speed has typically very little to do with game performance and framerate (exception being open world games that do seamless loading during gameplay).

Parts seem fine, except for the RAM which is kinda pricey. You can get faster RAM for a few dollars more, like this kit of 2x8GB G.Skill 3200MHz RAM for $95.

here's my rig:

Phenom 4x 965 BE 3.4ghz
8gb ddr3 1333
120 gb ssd corsair (which is dying, blue screen everytime, errors to copy and paste files)
GTX 680 2gb
2tb hdd seagate
win 7 64 bits

I don't have much money, something around 400$

Skii

You can try that.
You could even try removing all unnecessary parts for example:
Remove the WLAN PCIE Card
Remove the GPU and use nbaord GPU
Remove all HDDs except the boot disk
Remove all USB peripherals except mouse and keyboard (You can remove them once DPC Latency is open)

Check the latency now.

You can leave the PC idle to test latency, you dont need to stress it, thats what LatencyMon is for.

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't see you reply in a day so thought you'd missed my message!

I'm gonna post on a couple of forums to see what they say. If I do remove a certain part of the PC, will that automatically uninstall the driver for it?

Also, LatencyMon for me just sits nicely with interrupts at around 0-75. But when I play TW3, that's when it goes to 4000+ interrupts. How would we know if I'm getting the same problems if we can't get LatencyMon to go into the red zone?

Cheers

Hmm, well I think I found a compromise. I found the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-z170X Gaming 5 has the display port I'd like and it has better reviews than the Asus. It's about $10-$15 more but that's not a big deal.

So before I pull the trigger can someone tell me if everything will play nice? PCPartPicker says I don't have any compatibility issues but seeing as this is my first build I'm a little worried haha.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.20 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $359.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 19:51 EST-0500

Hmm, well I think I found a compromise. I found the Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-z170X Gaming 5 has the display port I'd like and it has better reviews than the Asus. It's about $10-$15 more but that's not a big deal.

So before I pull the trigger can someone tell me if everything will play nice? PCPartPicker says I don't have any compatibility issues but seeing as this is my first build I'm a little worried haha.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.20 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Dell P2715Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $359.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 19:51 EST-0500
I'd go for faster ram... RGM linked these earlier I believe: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941

Syril

I'm looking into parts for a new computer and here's what I'm considering so far.

GPU: GTX 970
This one seems to be well-received, and $300 is kind of reaching my limit, especially with the 980 being around $200 more.

CPU: i5 6500
I'll be honest, I'm kind of guessing here. I picked this one because last time I got a CPU, which was 8 years ago, $200 got me the one that's still serving me today. This one also appears to be using Intel's newest architecture, Skylake, which from what I've read seems to be very well-received. Apparently the 6500 is a step down and $50 less than the earlier released 6600. What's the difference between the two of them? Is the 6500 worth using, or is it pointless to not just get the 6600 instead? The next one up seems to be the i7 6700, which is over $400 and way out of my price range.

Motherboard: I have no idea what to look for in a motherboard. I just searched Amazon for "LGA 1151" after the socket listed on the CPU, and I found a range of prices. This one is the cheapest, but I don't really know what that entails. Obviously I would need room for the video card and the memory. The GTX 970 card I'm looking at looks like it's double-wide so I assume it wouldn't fit in the one I linked that only has one PCI-E slot? Also, about the slots for memory, 16GB in the form of two 8GB cards in the $100 range seems to be widely available. Is there any reason I would need more than that? I'm not really sure what a good amount of memory is for new computers these days. Aside from the component slots and the various ports that would go on the outside, what else is there to consider in a motherboard.

I'm hoping to reuse as many parts as I can from my current computer. It's power supply is 500W. Will that be enough for these parts?

I'm looking into parts for a new computer and here's what I'm considering so far.

GPU: GTX 970
This one seems to be well-received, and $300 is kind of reaching my limit, especially with the 980 being around $200 more.

CPU: i5 6500
I'll be honest, I'm kind of guessing here. I picked this one because last time I got a CPU, which was 8 years ago, $200 got me the one that's still serving me today. This one also appears to be using Intel's newest architecture, Skylake, which from what I've read seems to be very well-received. Apparently the 6500 is a step down and $50 less than the earlier released 6600. What's the difference between the two of them? Is the 6500 worth using, or is it pointless to not just get the 6600 instead? The next one up seems to be the i7 6700, which is over $400 and way out of my price range.

Motherboard: I have no idea what to look for in a motherboard. I just searched Amazon for "LGA 1151" after the socket listed on the CPU, and I found a range of prices. This one is the cheapest, but I don't really know what that entails. Obviously I would need room for the video card and the memory. The GTX 970 card I'm looking at looks like it's double-wide so I assume it wouldn't fit in the one I linked that only has one PCI-E slot? Also, about the slots for memory, 16GB in the form of two 8GB cards in the $100 range seems to be widely available. Is there any reason I would need more than that? I'm not really sure what a good amount of memory is for new computers these days. Aside from the component slots and the various ports that would go on the outside, what else is there to consider in a motherboard.

I'm hoping to reuse as many parts as I can from my current computer. It's power supply is 500W. Will that be enough for these parts?
Would you mind filling out this form from the OP? It'll make it easier to help you.

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

The Stealth Fox

So I have 8 gb of DDR3 1333. I grabbed the Samsung 850 EVO SSD. My other specs are i5-4690k and MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g. Do I need to upgrade my RAM? If I were to increase to 16 gb, I'd probably have to dump the old ram and just buy 2 x 8 gb since my RAM is old

Kalentan

Weird... My motherboard supports 24gb of RAM. I just installed them (made sure they were locked in tight), but it still says I only have 8 gb of RAM.

WELP! I just bought the motherboard and RAM. All I need now is the case and SSD. I noticed the case rocketed up in price so I'm hoping it'll come down on Black Friday. I'm getting so excited to start building hopefully by next week!!!

Syril

Would you mind filling out this form from the OP? It'll make it easier to help you.

I can't really answer all of these with 100% certainty. I CAN say that I have a 1080 monitor that I'm satisfied with and don't have any intentions of replacing, and I also have no intention of overclocking. I don't know what SuperSampling or CUDA are. My main intended use is gaming.

• ASRock H81M-ITX LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
  • Silverstone Raven Z RVZ02B-W mITX Case Window 1XODD 2X2.5IN 2XUSB3.0 1XPCI-E x16 No PSU - Black
  • Silverstone SFX-SERIES SX500-LG 500W SFX-L Form Factor 12V 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply

Just need an LGA1150 mITX cooler. Any recommendations? $60 CAD or under, please.

Josh5890

So I bought 2x4GB of DDR3 RAM a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on purchasing the same model Friday (hopefully for a few $ less). My plan is to purchase a new mobo sometime in the next 6-8 months or so when I grab a new CPU, and use that same RAM in the next system.

My question is will I be safe with sticking with DDR3 ram for the long-term or should I wait until I get a new mobo and pick one that supports DDR4 ram? I plan on my next build lasting me a good 4 years at least.

UnrealEck

My question is will I be safe with sticking with DDR3 ram for the long-term or should I wait until I get a new mobo and pick one that supports DDR4 ram? I plan on my next build lasting me a good 4 years at least.

I bought DDR3 not too long ago. Maybe 5 months ago. I'm now thinking of replacing my CPU with a Skylake. I can stay with DDR3, but no Skylake DDR3 boards support SLI and they don't have all the new features on them.

Just bear it in mind. DDR4 will be the future supported memory by majority.

Artanisix

hey guys,

i am purchasing a 970 gtx mini soon, i would like to pick up a 144hz monitor to go with it (ideally 1440p), was looking for good recommendations

thanks

So I bought 2x4GB of DDR3 RAM a couple weeks ago. I'm planning on purchasing the same model Friday (hopefully for a few $ less). My plan is to purchase a new mobo sometime in the next 6-8 months or so when I grab a new CPU, and use that same RAM in the next system.

Your last chance for DDR3 is basically Haswell (e.g. 4690K, 4790K). Gonna be DDR4 from here on out.

I can't really answer all of these with 100% certainty. I CAN say that I have a 1080 monitor that I'm satisfied with and don't have any intentions of replacing, and I also have no intention of overclocking. I don't know what SuperSampling or CUDA are. My main intended use is gaming.

970: good choice.
CPU: 6500 is fine, but if you want extra longevity you should consider springing for the 6600K. It is faster and can be overclocked, meaning it'll last you longer. You would need to get a cooler to go with it (standard being the coolermaster hyper 212 evo).
Mobo: if you decide to go for the 6600K, you'll want a Z170 board. Someone else can give you some suggestions there.
RAM: 16GB is more than enough.

What PSU do you currently have? What make and what model?

BubbaMc

A parts list like this should do quite well:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($68.00 @ CPL Online)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.00 @ IJK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB PCS+ Video Card ($475.00 @ CPL Online)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.00 @ Scorptec)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($72.00 @ CPL Online)
Keyboard: Gigabyte GK-KM6150 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($12.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $1072.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 16:12 AEDT+1100

At first, I was going to recommend a cheaper GTX 960 or R9 380 or R9 280X, but if you'd prefer to go with 1440p monitors then a GTX 970 or R9 390 is in order. Overkill for Minecraft, but it fits into your budget and will happily run any other games they may want to try including the latest and should last a couple of years without needing upgrades. The case and keyboard/mouse can be changed out for something else if it isn't to your liking, those are cheap but okay options. The only thing I haven't chosen are the monitors. I'm not much of a monitor guy, hopefully someone else can chime in with recommendations for the Australian dollar. Hopefully ~$860 is enough to account for two decent 1440p monitors.

Of course, if you're absolutely sure they are only interested in Minecraft and nothing else, the computers could cost less with some lower end parts and still be adequate for Minecraft at 1440p and 60FPS. Or going with two 1080p monitors would require less graphics card power to maintain 60FPS and cost less as well.

Excellent, thank you.

In the end I've decided to build myself a new PC as a christmas present to myself, and give the old one to the kids :) Since I work away a lot, two PCs should be enough.

No expense spared on this new build, within reason, here's what I'm thinking:

- Skylake 1511pin ATX motherboard with NVMe support (undecided)
- Intel Core i7-6700K
- 32GB 3200 DDR4 RAM
- Nvidia GTX 980ti
- Samsung 950 pro 512GB SSD (or Intel 750 400GB SSD)
- 750W or greater Power Supply (undecided)
- Case (Antec or similar)
- Blu ray burner
- USB Keyboard
- ASUS MG279Q Monitor (x3)

So I'm currently undecided on exactly which motherboard, RAM, power supply, and case to use. If anyone has suggestions that'd be great.

Also, is it worth going for faster RAM? The price seems to rise exponentially after 3200mhz.

Excellent, thank you.

In the end I've decided to build myself a new PC as a christmas present to myself, and give the old one to the kids :) Since I work away a lot, two PCs should be enough.

No expense spared on this new build, within reason, here's what I'm thinking:

- Skylake 1511pin ATX motherboard with NVMe support (undecided)
- Intel Core i7-6700K
- 32GB 3200 DDR4 RAM
- Nvidia GTX 980ti
- Samsung 950 pro 512GB SSD (or Intel 750 400GB SSD)
- 750W or greater Power Supply (undecided)
- Case (Antec or similar)
- Blu ray burner
- USB Keyboard
- ASUS MG279Q Monitor (x3)

So I'm currently undecided on exactly which motherboard, RAM, power supply, and case to use. If anyone has suggestions that'd be great.

Also, is it worth going for faster RAM? The price seems to rise exponentially after 3200mhz.

ram -- DDR4-3000 would be fine. I'd go for some G.Skill, they are usually very competitive on price.
psu -- I'd recommend the EVGA Supernova G2 750W (or 650 or 850, depending on your needs, see below).
mobo -- I'd look at the gigabyte z170x-ud3 and the asus z170-a, personally.
case -- lots of choices. Maybe the fractal design R5, or the phanteks enthoo pro or luxe.

About the three monitors. Is it for gaming? Are you planning on doing surround? If so, a single 980 Ti won't be sufficient... because that is a crap-ton of pixels.

Ugh, I'm having second thoughts about purchasing the 6600k now after the comments about games utilizing more cores. Where's the cheapest place to purchase a 6700? Everywhere I look it's like $430 to $450, which is quite obscene! Should I consider getting a Haswell i7? Wouldn't that mean I'd be stuck with an older chipset? Or will it not matter? Ugh, the confusion!

BubbaMc

About the three monitors. Is it for gaming? Are you planning on doing surround? If so, a single 980 Ti won't be sufficient... because that is a crap-ton of pixels.

Yes for gaming, primarily DCS World 2.0.

Interesting though, if it doesn't work nicely I'll get a second card. Monitors will be 2560x1440 each.

Ugh, I'm having second thoughts about purchasing the 6600k now after the comments about games utilizing more cores. Where's the cheapest place to purchase a 6700? Everywhere I look it's like $430 to $450, which is quite obscene! Should I consider getting a Haswell i7? Wouldn't that mean I'd be stuck with an older chipset? Or will it not matter? Ugh, the confusion!

What does the rest of your build look like? Budget?

It's always a balance. Yes, an i7 would give you some improved performance.. but if that means you end up with a weaker video card then it'll likely perform worse overall. There are a lot of factors at play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom